7 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Actually the 3 leads are really not bad, especially Yang Se Jong. Considering this is their first historical drama since debut (like 2 or 3 years ago), they are really doing well! Not forgetting, they have got a great mentor here.

I agree with the great mentor part. :D Ok it is just me then...I really find them mediocre but I don't dislike them. I'm liking the girl and probably Hwi as in he improved in ep 7. Only the other guy needs to brush up some expression skills. Lol. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I agree with the great mentor part. :D Ok it is just me then...I really find them mediocre but I don't dislike them. I'm liking the girl and probably Hwi as in he improved in ep 7. Only the other guy needs to brush up some expression skills. Lol. 

No, it's not just you :) I also think the three leads are mediocre. Ep. 6 was absolute torture to me cause I had the stupid idea to watch the entire episode and not just JH's parts. The lead is very boring. I don't understand the choices that he makes that make his so subdued and bland, especially since he said he was a fan of Chuno...  And you already mentioned the hair in his face that makes whatever little expression he has hard to see. What carries him is the script, not the performance. And the script is not that good...

The other guy is a bit better as he is more intense and gives a more subtle performance. But for some reason, he just doesn't grab me. I tried watching another show of his before, and I just turned it off after a few episodes. 

The girl has no subtlety to her. She conveys strength, but she comes across as arrogant, especially in her scenes with JH. Her character might be brave and smart, but that would also mean she should be smart enough to be afraid of YBW, but we never get a sense of that. 

My guess is, all these guys do exactly what the director tells them, nothing more, nothing less, and it's understandable since they're relatively young. Obviously JH's age and experience has a lot to do with his more complex performance, but it's not just that, or else we would have seen a similarly compelling performance from the other experienced actors. We've all seen his scripts, and all the notes he adds to them (this picture is of his script from Chuno). I don't know when JH started doing this, but it's clear that, essentially, he is directing himself in a way, by analyzing before hand each scene and deciding on acting elements he wants to use. We saw in Dragon Brothers that he does that way before filming starts, and this is what allows him to bring his own special touch to each role and make it unique.

Chuno: The Daegil appreciation post | Stuck on Hyuk

Knowing JH, and his uncontrollable urge to help and teach, I'm sure we are going to see a distinct change in the lead's acting very soon! 

• Awesome 2

46 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I absolutely agree with this !

Actually the 3 leads are really not bad, especially Yang Se Jong. Considering this is their first historical drama since debut (like 2 or 3 years ago), they are really doing well! Not forgetting, they have got a great mentor here.

That... deserve 3000 retweet! :wub:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

The other guy is a bit better as he is more intense and gives a more subtle performance. But for some reason, he just doesn't grab me. I tried watching another show of his before, and I just turned it off after a few episodes. 

The girl has no subtlety to her. She conveys strength, but she comes across as arrogant, especially in her scenes with JH. Her character might be brave and smart, but that would also mean she should be smart enough to be afraid of YBW, but we never get a sense of that. 

Knowing JH, and his uncontrollable urge to help and teach, I'm sure we are going to see a distinct change in the lead's acting very soon! 

Sorry I cut your post. This comment remind me when I saw this particular scene.

I don't find her character threatening or interesting. Just same wide eye. It's more prominent in larger pic. Well maybe just me coz i'm not seeing this drama fully yet just bit and piece there. lol. 

Also threatening the royal. Ha. Almost 3 leads doing that. At that time nobody can survive that particular action. Writer-nim should  know how to convey strength and bravery not just talk back or threatening the royal. Its kind get old sometimes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, yoeda said:

Sorry I cut your post. This comment remind me when I saw this particular scene.

I don't find her character threatening or interesting. Just same wide eye. It's more prominent in larger pic. Well maybe just me coz i'm not seeing this drama fully yet just bit and piece there. lol. 

Also threatening the royal. Ha. Almost 3 leads doing that. At that time nobody can survive that particular action. Writer-nim should  know how to convey strength and bravery not just talk back or threatening the royal. Its kind get old sometimes.

Completely agree. Her acting was so flat here. but it also could be due to the horrible lines- That scene was so badly written, but not many noticed because JH was so good and saucy in it. But you did notice :) I hated how they had to tell us what happened on the road, since the entire scene was missing! I wonder if it was missing because what they are describing actually wasn't filmed, and the writers decided to make up a situation in which the girl manages to get the drop on YBW and had him at knife point to make her seem stronger?! not to mention the idiotic line from YBW about how he was brave facing her knife. That's a line from a small boy, not an experienced warrior! Also, no explanation was given as to what made her attack him. Did he try something with her? Come on to her?! We get nothing from her acting to help us understand the situation in that scene. And what did he mean when he tells her that if she helps him, he will let her kill him? Was that a sexual innuendo?! Such bad writing...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

"My Country" Jang Hyuk, a veteran actor perfect for Lee Bang-won's character.

26_591698_18486.jpg

In the 7th episode of JTBC drama "My Country", Lee Bang-won (Jang Hyuk) made Seo Hwi (Yang Se-jong) as his own sword to begin the power struggles with Lee Seong-gye (Kim Young-chul) and Nam Jeon (Ahn Nae-sang),  showing his veteran performance that has dominated the drama as a whole and has received numerous positive reviews.

With his unique weighty voice, Jang showed his emotions freely, such as his unrestrained anger when provoked by his opponent, or his unwavering firm tone when speaking to the person he faced.

Lee Bang-won's character is especially mature with his deep-seated eyes which calm viewers, at the same time expressing delicate inner feelings and increasing emotions to the extreme. Jang’s veteran acting skills controls the drama as a whole, adding perfection to the character. 

http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/article.php?aid=59169818486

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2

55 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

So here I go again!

Thirsty for Jang Hyuk club hahaha

39 minutes ago, yoeda said:

spamming with the same twitter post coz can't find the gif one. #sorrynotsorry. lol

Ok I have decided to download this gif yeah !

Edit Oh and a new pic for tonight

01.20830169.1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Awesome 3

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

OMG what's happening ?

Oh... wow! That's quite an impact.... I'm not surprised cause JH is glorious in this role! I'm just watching episode 7 and he is so playful and menacing! So amazing! I guess people are searching him cause they didn't know that he was in this show, as the promotion focused on the leads initially, but now that pics and gifs of his are out... :) 

Edit: Just saw a tweet illustrating my point- People really didn't know JH is in My Country! great work promoting this show, JTBC... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, after watching episode 7, it looks like it's trying to justify why Hwi is the lead and not YBW. YBW tells Hwi that he can't fight out in the open against the king and spill more blood, because that will make him appear completely evil, so he needs Hwi to do the fight for him (right... :smirk:). Also, the episode establishes that all YBW's men are completely stupid and incompetent, so he has to have Hwi and his band of idiots on his side. Makes me wonder how he won a single battle without Hwi...  This makes me suspect that in the next episodes YBW will fade back into the background (making JH's role smaller) while Hwi will be the one to deliver him his victory. I hope this will not happen, but it looks like where the show is going...

• LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, budgerie said:

I don't know how will the crew or production team or director feel after reading all these comments from netizens. They wanted to promote or advertise the 3 leads but to be honest, if this drama doesn't have JH, it isn't watchable. Not because we are JH fans but because the acting of the 3 of them is still at a mediocre level. 

I think other actors are doing very well for their particular characters. I actually like Woo Do Hwan's performance here. His character may not be that attractive on the surface but he is providing all of necessary subtle touches to his character.  

Moreover it would look funny if 20 something actors would start acting and speaking like Kim Young Chul. Their characters are more innocent than the veteran actors.

Why would production team be unhappy if their drama is generating buzz regardless for whichever actor it is? This is business and their focus is only on generating more revenue that is why they cast super popular idols like Seolhyun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Just saw a tweet illustrating my point- People really didn't know JH is in My Country! great work promoting this show, JTBC

Yes..I read comments on Naver criticising the lack of promotion of this drama too! Maybe many finally realised JH was in the drama after seeing the teasers and posts recently.. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

OMG what's happening ?

Really so happy for him! When My country just started the 1st 2 eps, it also achieved hot Naver topic ranking of between 6th  to 10th (My Country Yang Sejong ). Now that JH's role is gaining more scenes, his LBW went up to 1st. Wow! :star:

I think it must be the repeat telecast this afternoon.. after watching, viewers can't help but search for him..too charming..haha

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

No, it's not just you :) I also think the three leads are mediocre. What carries him is the script, not the performance. And the script is not that good...

See, told you before, sometimes we think alike too. We are not totally different. Hahaha! Yes indeed, the script is not a good script at some parts. 

I can't relate to the other guy. He seems more bland than Hwi to me. 

My guess is, all these guys do exactly what the director tells them, nothing more, nothing less, and it's understandable since they're relatively young. 

Yes, probably the 3 leads do what Director-nim tells them. They haven't got that "mind" yet to explore their character and this comes with experience. Plus how hardworking are they to do homework before filming. We all know JH does alot of homework before filming starts. His scripts are full of colours. But not every artistes does that. 

This is a very good opportunity for them to learn from a veteran. I hope they take and make use of every chance to learn from this sunbaenim. 

7 hours ago, yoeda said:

Spot on! I absolutely agree. I couldn't pin point what is wrong but I felt somewhere is wrong and it is this. Yes, the leads seem not have respect for Bang Won. They dare to talk back and show disrespect. In that era, you disrespect you die. Writer-nim or Director-nim is showing bravery through talking back and disrespect. Doesn't seem quite right.  

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

tell us what happened on the road, since the entire scene was missing! 

We will never know. This is a big puzzle missing. I also want to know why girl wanted to kill Bang Won. Why was he at knife point. Why were they on the run? 

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

@PrettysupMaybe can start a Jang Hyuk club here. Lol. So glad through this drama many will get to know this amazing actor. His career soars to a new high. More and more will join us here to drool over this man. (Sorry Mrs Jung, we just need to borrow your husband for awhile). :sweat_smile:

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Also, the episode establishes that all YBW's men are completely stupid and incompetent, so he has to have Hwi and his band of idiots on his side. Makes me wonder how he won a single battle without Hwi...  This makes me suspect that in the next episodes YBW will fade back into the background (making JH's role smaller) while Hwi will be the one to deliver him his victory. I hope this will not happen, but it looks like where the show is going...

My sentiments too. If Bang Won needs to use Hwi to fight, BW role will get smaller. But at this point of time I dont trust Hwi. He may betray BW.  I want to see BW fight his father by himself. I don't need other people to fight for him. But why does it seems that the people or men that Bang Won have are not so skilled in martial arts? If Bang Won is a warrior, surely his men needs to be up to standard but the drama doesn't seem to show BW men are that top skillful.  

I want to see JH win a big award for his role as Bang Won. And can we have an award for the fan too? Lol. Bang Won is damn good with the fan. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

35 minutes ago, budgerie said:

See, told you before, sometimes we think alike too. We are not totally different. Hahaha! Yes indeed, the script is not a good script at some parts. 

Oh, I know! We have agreed on several things already, we all are fans of JH after all  :)  what we don't agree on- is just a matter of taste! :glasses:

35 minutes ago, budgerie said:

My sentiments too. Hwi needs to fight for BW so maybe his role will get more prominent. But at this point of time I dont trust Hwi. He may betray BW and in the end BW needs to fight his father by himself. I hope it is like this so that we can get to see BW more. 

I want to see JH win a big award for his role as Bang Won. And can we have an award for the fan too? Lol. Bang Won is damn good with the fan. 

From what I saw in the preview of ep. 8, Hwi will probably try to outsmart both YBW and Nam Sun's dad because he is soooo clever... though YBW is the wild card here- he manages to see through Hwi at every turn. I seriously don't understand what's the point with having Nam Sun, he is useless. All we need is the dad. The show is filled with unnecessary nonsense, like the sister and the the love triangle. So boring...

I do wonder how the industry will treat JH's performance in this role. I know that most award shows are not about awarding the best, so who knows?

As to the fan- it will have to be several awards cause we have several "actors" playing as the "fan" :D I think until now we've seen three different fans, right?

1572091195243.gif1572091201347.gif?type=w773

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Why would production team be unhappy if their drama is generating buzz regardless for whichever actor it is? This is business and their focus is only on generating more revenue that is why they cast super popular idols like Seolhyun.

When JH wasn't included in the poster or even appeared at the Press Conf, I didn't have a good feeling about this team. Seems like they deliberately want to exclude him from the limelight and just concentrate on the leads. But however, this is like a turn of events. The supporting actor gets more attention than the leads. The team probably realise now that they need him to promote the drama (hahaha). 

In WOL, even though JH was a supporting role but the team didn't exclude him in the Press Conf or the poster. He was there.  

• Like 2