1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Yeah that was the one. And there were many top comments about JH from netizens in the news of yesterday’s episode, all praising him as YBW. 

This is great news! Really hope he gets a big award for YBW. I'm not saying the young leads are no good but in terms of acting skills, they are still far from JH. But this award thing is so unpredictable.  

At first people said Daegil was his life work followed by MF and now this. And his screen time is so little here. Imagine if he is the lead. He would BOOM the screen. :blush:Maybe next time he can act as YBW father :D

• Like 2

Top comments from knetz on ‘My Country’ ep 5:

1. Wow, the story is so good. It's so sad and powerful. (+617 -16)

2. Jang Hyuk is Lee Bang-won, and I am very grateful for it. (+519 -23)

3. Oh ~ I think Seolhyun's acting is getting better ~ She is good ? (+673 -188)

4. Kim Young-chul and Jang Hyuk's acting are both immersive . In the drama 'Money Flower', his dark charisma. daebak .... Jang Hyuk as Lee Bang Won in this drama ~  His eyes and lines are overwhelming... ! (+416 -18)

5. Jang Hyuk, Kim Young-cheol, and the scenes were very tense. (+199 -7)

6. Jang Hyuk, you're so energetic. Lee Bang won seems to be alive. Jang Hyuk and Yang Se-jong, please join as a team soon. (+111 -3)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=076&aid=0003483369

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Oh wow! YBW is great at the starting scene shouting. If any actor who don't normally exercise, this scene probably would leave him breathless...  :D

But what stepmother said is true. Father is scared of YBW. Seems she got more power than YBW mother. The preferred concubine always win over the queen.

But I think there is a motive for "naming" small bro as Crown Prince. Maybe father wants to know what each will be plotting against ...since "Crown Prince" is still a young boy, is a long way to the throne. I think father also has a reason for making YBW answer in public who YBW feels should be chosen. Could it be indirectly wanting to protect YBW since he knows that stepmother will try ways and means to "block" YBW path.  

I worry the girl will intentionally get close to YBW, make him like her, but only to betray him. Remember the line we saw initially at the poster. 

I'm definitely liking YBW and father scenes. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, budgerie said:

But I think there is a motive for "naming" small bro as Crown Prince. Maybe father wants to know what each will be plotting against ...since "Crown Prince" is still a young boy, is a long way to the throne. I think father also has a reason for making YBW answer in public who YBW feels should be chosen. Could it be indirectly wanting to protect YBW since he knows that stepmother will try ways and means to "block" YBW path.  

Actually I still cannot understand this part. Why couldn’t he name himself as the most suitable successor? Is it because it will bring him danger? 

6 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I worry the girl will intentionally get close to YBW, make him like her, but only to betray him. Remember the line we saw initially at the poster. 

Hope not indeed. That would be so cliche and shallow! Plus I think she has lots of principle to not do something like that. Seems out of character haha. And she is on the queen’s side, I trust LBW to be smarter than to fall for the queen’s aide. 

24 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Top comments from knetz on ‘My Country’ ep 5:

1. Wow, the story is so good. It's so sad and powerful. (+617 -16)

2. Jang Hyuk is Lee Bang-won, and I am very grateful for it. (+519 -23)

3. Oh ~ I think Seolhyun's acting is getting better ~ She is good ? (+673 -188)

4. Kim Young-chul and Jang Hyuk's acting are both immersive . In the drama 'Money Flower', his dark charisma. daebak .... Jang Hyuk as Lee Bang Won in this drama ~  His eyes and lines are overwhelming... ! (+416 -18)

5. Jang Hyuk, Kim Young-cheol, and the scenes were very tense. (+199 -7)

6. Jang Hyuk, you're so energetic. Lee Bang won seems to be alive. Jang Hyuk and Yang Se-jong, please join as a team soon. (+111 -3)

Wow so full of praises for our JH! I’m glad. However also keeping expectations in check because we know that he’s not the lead and the show will not let him overshadow everything else (which he currently is stealing the scenes). I have a feeling his screen time will be approximately this much weekly, and perhaps his character will not be as fleshed out as we hope it will be because the story isn’t about him anyway. 

On another note, I watched yesterday’s full episode and am impressed with all 3 young leads, they are playing their roles very well and acting-wise I’m glad they are really hitting viewers’ heartstrings too. Glad that it’s a great ensemble cast!

• Like 4

So I am watching episode 6, and I'm completely baffled: did the show explain why the king is mistreating LBW so much? From what I saw (and I admit I've only seen JH's scenes :) ) LBW has shown nothing but loyalty to the king, he never acted against the king, but for some reason the step mother constantly insults him and the king is showing no gratitude. Am I missing something here? Did we get any justification for such behavior or is it all due to the step mother wanting her son to be king? 

From what I'm seeing the show is establishing the step mother as the bad guy, since she just kinda suggested the king kill LBW... by doing that I guess she just signed her own son's death sentence...

I have to say- knowing what actually happened in history I'm like "you idiots! don't make LBW angry! What are you doing?!" :sweat_smile: it's a delight to see JH giggling his way through the episode. He's showing emotions as LBW, but he's not phased by anyone, even his dad's treatment. 

Also I noticed something- don't know if this is a common line, but at a certain point Hwi is asked to work with someone, and his answer is "How can a tiger work for a dog?"- isn't it just about the same line Dae Gill said to Cheon Ji-Ho? Didn't the actor say he can recite all the lines from Chuno by heart? 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Actually I still cannot understand this part. Why couldn’t he name himself as the most suitable successor? Is it because it will bring him danger? 

Because he knew that was not the king’s intention to name him the successor, so even if he named himself and forced the king to do so, it would be a reluctant choice and the king will still find ways to get rid of him in future. So he just said what the king wanted to hear now and do things his own ways later. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

8 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

So I am watching episode 6, and I'm completely baffled: did the show explain why the king is mistreating LBW so much? From what I saw (and I admit I've only seen JH's scenes :) ) LBW has shown nothing but loyalty to the king, he never acted against the king, but for some reason the step mother constantly insults him and the king is showing no gratitude. Am I missing something here? Did we get any justification for such behavior or is it all due to the step mother wanting her son to be king? 

From what I'm seeing the show is establishing the step mother as the bad guy, since she just kinda suggested the king kill LBW... by doing that I guess she just signed her own son's death sentence...

I have to say- knowing what actually happened in history I'm like "you idiots! don't richard simmons LBW off! What are you doing?!" :sweat_smile: it's a delight to see JH giggling his way through the episode. He's showing emotions as LBW, but he's not phased by anyone, even his dad's treatment. 

Also I noticed something- don't know if this is a common line, but at a certain point Hwi is asked to work with someone, and his answer is "How can a tiger work for a dog?"- isn't it just about the same line Dae Gill said to Cheon Ji-Ho? Didn't the actor said he can recite all the lines from Chuno by heart? 

According to history the queen and her supporters constantly bad mouthed YBW in front of the king as she wanted her son to be crown prince and YBW was the biggest threat.

And I also noticed there was a time jump of 4 years at the big beginning of ep 5, but it’s still the same small boy acting as the little brother haha...

And one more thing, the 3 leads keep talking about YBW but he just didint show his face lol..

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

According to history the queen and her supporters constantly bad mouthed YBW in front of the king as she wanted her son to be crown prince and YBW was the biggest threat.

And I also noticed there was a time jump of 4 years at the big beginning of ep 5, but it’s still the same small boy acting as the little brother haha...

And one more thing, the 3 leads keep talking about YBW but he just didint show his face lol..

Oh, I'm not liking the queen... But I guess she is going to pay. I know she will die soon- was her death natural?

I noticed they put in the date, but didn't remember what was the year in the previous episodes... :) So it's been 4 years, and everyone seems the same?! They should have done something to make the characters look a bit different, especially the boy... And we are supposed to think that after 4 years, the girl still believes Hwi is alive?

The show feels very disjointed and abrupt. Little is established or developed. The relationship between the king and YBW is the driving force behind the plot, but they did nothing to show its development. It wouldn't have taken that much time. All we needed to see was one conversation before the war or during it to show YBW loyalty to his dad and usefulness. This would have explained YBW reaction to being treated so harshly after the war in the first scene we saw between them.  We are constantly being told things about him, but hardly shown. I guess the show runners didn't hear about the rule "Show, don't tell"... 

Instead the show spends too much time establishing that the lead loves his sister and the other girl- we get it, it's not complicated! Have to say- the wide eyed innocent little girl act of the sister is a bit grating...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Hope not indeed. That would be so cliche and shallow! Plus I think she has lots of principle to not do something like that. Seems out of character haha. And she is on the queen’s side, I trust LBW to be smarter than to fall for the queen’s aide. 

Wow so full of praises for our JH! I’m glad. However also keeping expectations in check because we know that he’s not the lead and the show will not let him overshadow everything else (which he currently is stealing the scenes). I have a feeling his screen time will be approximately this much weekly, and perhaps his character will not be as fleshed out as we hope it will be because the story isn’t about him anyway. 

Because it is always the naming of Crown Prince that causes the strife and the staging of coup and fierce battle. We are waiting for YBW to do that. :sweat_smile: If YBW had name himself, he would be directly telling everyone he is declaring battle with his father because father didn't name YBW as the CP. 

I think maybe the girl may at first tries to gain YBW attention, find out his "next move" but as time goes on, maybe she will be on YBW side and betray YBW stepmother instead. I think the line at the poster wasn't drawn by mistake. 

I think we will see more of YBW as he fights for the throne or kill the people he needed to kill although please don't kill the (now) younger brother. He is too cute to be killed. Get an older actor to act is fine with me. And poor YBW horse, he was merely a means of transportation for YBW, why kill it!!!:triumph:

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I have to say- knowing what actually happened in history I'm like "you idiots! don't make LBW angry! What are you doing?!" :sweat_smile: it's a delight to see JH giggling his way through the episode. He's showing emotions as LBW, but he's not phased by anyone, even his dad's treatment. 

Also I noticed something- don't know if this is a common line, but at a certain point Hwi is asked to work with someone, and his answer is "How can a tiger work for a dog?"- isn't it just about the same line Dae Gill said to Cheon Ji-Ho? Didn't the actor say he can recite all the lines from Chuno by heart? 

Is ep 6 out? I haven't seen it with english sub.  I'm positive stepmother didn't want YBW to be the next in line because if he is the next in line, her life and her son life is in danger. So if her son is next in line, she can order her son to kill YBW. And like what father had said, of all his sons, don't know which one is a drunkard, which one is a womaniser, which one is don't know what, no doubt YBW is a thug but he is capable of even replacing his own father. I think the father knows. 

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

We are constantly being told things about him, but hardly shown. I guess the show runners didn't hear about the rule "Show, don't tell"... 

Instead the show spends too much time establishing that the lead loves his sister and the other girl- we get it, it's not complicated! Have to say- the wide eyed innocent little girl act of the sister is a bit grating...

I agree. The word SHOW and TELL but this one is TELL no SHOW. :triumph:Although YBW is not the lead, but in history, it is a big character, so please show more details. But as of now, this supporting role is more interesting to watch than WOL for me.

I didn't even noticed 4 years had past and the little bro is still little. Honestly I don't want to be in his shoe in real life. At this age so much books to read :bawling:

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:37 AM, Prettysup said:

Some timeline of events for those who are interested :

1388 (ep4) : Yi Seong-gye led a revolution to overthrow the Goryeo king

1391 : Queen Shinui (first wife) died

1392 : Yi Seong-gye became the king,  established Joseon dynasty and appointed 8th son as successor

1394 : Yi Bang-U (first son) died

1396 : Queen Sindeok (second wife) died

1398 (ep 1) : Yi Bang-won revolted and killed 2 sons of Queen Sindeok - First Strife

1399 : Yi Bang-gwa (2nd son) became the king

1400 : Yi Bang-won fought with Yi Bang-gan (4th son) - Second Strife

1400 : Yi Bang-won became king

Refer to my earlier post, it took YSG 4 years from the time at the river when he decided to revolt (1388) to become king (1392), which was the year indicated on top at the beginning of ep 5. 

In between that 4 years, his first wife (YBW’s mom) died. And the current queen will die soon in another 4 years. Not sure if her death was natural or not, not indicated in history . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Refer to my earlier post, it took YSG 4 years from the time at the river when he decided to revolt (1388) to become king (1392), which was the year indicated on top at the beginning of ep 5. 

In between that 4 years, his first wife (YBW’s mom) died. And the current queen will die soon in another 4 years. Not sure if her death was natural or not, not indicated in history . 

OK, thanks for reposting the time line- so in episode 5 we are in 1392. In two years the first son is going to die... From the fact the YBW was trying to hide what was going on with his other brothers, I guess he cared for them, or he wanted to use them and rule through them? I mean, after his revolt he supported the second son to become king... This is very complicated, and the show is doing nothing in order to help me make sense of the politics. YBW is maybe cunning, but I sure am not :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

35 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Looks like we are going to see more JH tonight! And he looks so handsome in the stills!

OH, wow! He looks great! I bet the hair connoisseurs here are going to be having fun- I see a little change in the way he does his hair. And I love the new outfit!

Seems like Hwi has managed to find his way into YBW's army...

• Like 3

Just now, Biology Lesson said:

OK, thanks for reposting the time line- so in episode 5 we are in 1392. In two years the first son is going to die... From the fact the YBW was trying to hide what was going on with his other brothers, I guess he was cared for them, or he wanted to use them and rule through them? I mean, after his revolt he supported the second son to become king... This is very complicated, and the show is doing nothing in order to help me make sense of the politics. YBW is maybe cunning, but I sure am not :) 

I think wikipedia does a better job to help me make sense of the politics rather than the drama lol..

YBW supported his second brother to become the king after the first strife coz the latter was the oldest at that point of time (since the eldest one is dead), hence less resistance to the brother becoming the king rather than YBW himself. He learnt this from his father YSG actually, who did not immediately become the king after the revolution, but put a puppet king in place first before taking over the throne himself 4 years later (in ep 5).

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Not to worry about our JH stealing the show actually. In Knetz comments, they are able to 'like' or 'dislike' each comment (hence u see the + and - signs after each comment). If u noticed, comments praising our JH generally have very little dislikes (-) as compared to those praising especially the female lead. Which means netizens in general are very supportive of our JH in this show , and they are not put off by a supporting actor 'stealing' the show.

Other comments relating to JH :

13. Jang Hyuk is so cool riding a horse (+81 -7)

14. Jang Hyuk is perfect for the role of Lee Bang-won. His acting is so good. Whenever he appears it feels like something exciting is about to happen, it's really great. (+71 -3)

16. Every scene where Lee Seong-gye and Lee Bang-won appear has the best sense of immersion.(+65 -1)

17. Jang Hyuk and Kim Young-chul's scenes are like watching a movie...Lee Bang-won's suppressive scenes (+63 -0)

• Like 3
  • Awesome 3

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Oh so, as of ep 5, YBW mother is already dead? I was quite confused why it was the stepmother seated with the king with the crown prince and not YBW mother. If the queen is still around, she should be the one seated. But again, if the queen is around, she would not want little bro to be CP. 

47 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

OK, thanks for reposting the time line- so in episode 5 we are in 1392. In two years the first son is going to die... From the fact the YBW was trying to hide what was going on with his other brothers, I guess he cared for them, or he wanted to use them and rule through them? I mean, after his revolt he supported the second son to become king... This is very complicated, and the show is doing nothing in order to help me make sense of the politics. YBW is maybe cunning, but I sure am not :) 

I think more like he wanted those useless brothers to rule so that he could control them. I hope the drama show the interaction between YBW and his other brothers so that we have an idea who he is "close to" or who is wary of him or ....at least some insight to the brotherhood.

42 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

OH, wow! He looks great! I bet the hair connoisseurs here are going to be having fun- I see a little change in the way he does his hair. 

Hahaha but I prefer a slightly untidy YBW. But ok, he is a prince so he needs to be neat when not in battle.   

And I wonder how he does that - slowly turning red like in MF. His internal organ must be very good - slowly let out the heat :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2