1 hour ago, corey said:

Where is this picture from? JH's hair suggests WOL (bleeeh), but otherwise he looks soo cool! And what a lovely husky! :wub: I am a dog person myself, I must admit. Although I did not quite like the way JH played with the white puppy in Robbers. It was a little too rough I think and the dog probably did not quite appreciate JH handling him like that, cute as it looked.

I wondered why no one noticed that! I also think JH handling of that puppy was a bit rough. It looks like he didn't know what to do with him. Also, JH with that kitty- I don't know...  It's not as cute and soft as I thought it would be. Not very cuddly. This makes me think JH is not a very playful man. Or soft :) Also, did anyone notice that when JH pinches someone's cheek, like in Voice when he piches his son's cheek, it's kinda off? :lol: I don't know how to explain it, it's just not right. 

@Biology Lesson, thank you for sharing this interview. I am so happy someone appreciated JH so much. I wish the PD would work with JH again, to help showcase his talent.

Again I really wish we knew what sort of changes JH made to MF script. It would help me understand what he considers a good script and what can we expect next.

And - do you think that he revised the entire script for MF, not only the first 4 episodes? This script showed no deterioration in quality later in the show.

No, problem. I thought it was a fascinating interview! in another interview with JH it seems that JH was actually responsible for her getting the direction job in MF, so I guess it explains why she felt so concerned about failing him.

I also wish we knew his objections and changes to the original script of MF. I think JH only saw the script of 3 episodes, so I guess those were the ones he revised... I actually had a lot of issues with MF, so I'm not such a big fan of the script...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think JH only saw the script of 3 episodes, so I guess those were the ones he revised... I actually had a lot of issues with MF, so I'm not such a big fan of the script...

If it's true that he only saw the script of 3 episodes, probably confirms what I said earlier, that k drama start filming before the whole script is up. "Write as you film" or "film as you write".....could be the reason why (sometimes) there's no continuity in the script. For example, in MC, the jungle scene. Has it been deleted or was it not written what happened in the forest? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Also, did anyone notice that when JH pinches someone's cheek, like in Voice when he piches his son's cheek, it's kinda off? :lol: I don't know how to explain it, it's just not right. 

Haha! How about this?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, corey said:

Where is this picture from? JH's hair suggests WOL (bleeeh), but otherwise he looks soo cool! And what a lovely husky! :wub: I am a dog person myself, I must admit. Although I did not quite like the way JH played with the white puppy in Robbers. It was a little too rough I think and the dog probably did not quite appreciate JH handling him like that, cute as it looked.

It says 

Jang Hyuk in the nature of Alaska-INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

@Biology Lesson it did cross my mind when watching him handling puppy in clip.  HIhi maybe JH is mix of rough and gentle like with pinching thing.

• LOL 3

7 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

@Biology Lesson it did cross my mind when watching him handling puppy in clip.  HIhi maybe JH is mix of rough and gentle like with pinching thing.

Not sure, I know that I probably would be the same with animals as I never had a pet. Do we know if JH had a pet when he was young?

As to the cheek pinch- we have seen people say again and again that JH is very reserved and is not naturally affectionate- maybe that is why it looks awkward when he does that :) 

• LOL 1

17 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Not sure, I know that I probably would be the same with animals as I never had a pet. Do we know if JH had a pet when he was young?

As to the cheek pinch- we have seen people say again and again that JH is very reserved and is not naturally affectionate- maybe that is why it looks awkward when he does that :) 

Hihi not sure about pets when he was young, but I think I read somewhere he help with campaign to foster abandoned animals with costar in shine or go crazy.  Side note poor giraffe.

img_6243.jpg?w=500&zoom=2

• LOL 3

I also noticed that JH was kinda awkward with the doggie in Robbers and cat in WOL. But I also know (Ive had dogs and many cats) that at least the cat would’ve escaped and/or scratched and/or bit him if he was truly being “rough”. I actually felt he was being “too careful” with the kitty which made him seem awkward. 

I’ve also noticed the awkward pinching of cheeks lol! But he seems good at handling/carrying babies (FTLY) 

We know he is a “horse whisperer” so maybe he is better with big animals

And, I just remembered he was the only one who could trap the turkey in Family Outing. He did it with such ease, I found that kind of shocking. It’s like he grew up in a farm! 

• LOL 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

33 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I also noticed that JH was kinda awkward with the doggie in Robbers and cat in WOL. But I also know (Ive had dogs and many cats) that at least the cat would’ve escaped and/or scratched and/or bit him if he was truly being “rough”. I actually felt he was being “too careful” with the kitty which made him seem awkward. 

I’ve also noticed the awkward pinching of cheeks lol! But he seems good at handling/carrying babies (FTLY) 

And, I just remembered he was the only one who could trap the turkey in Family Outing. He did it with such ease, I found that kind of shocking. It’s like he grew up in a farm! 

Lol, he carry kid kind of different in robbers too though, but as long as kid had fun.

I was watching the horse riding part on healing camp and he had such a big smile and actually said it was only thing he actually wanted to do.  @Biology Lesson technically he didn't have horse pet, but he spent time with horses when he was young because had a friend who had a horse.

With turkey I think also because he's more fearless and the others were hesitant.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Lol, he carry kid kind of different in robbers too though, but as long as kid had fun.

With turkey I think also because he's more fearless and the others were hesitant.

During Robbers he still wasn’t a father (although I loved the chemistry with that kid) He must’ve gotten better over the years. I bet he can bathe little babies too, he seems to have that confidence and fearlessness :D

BTW, I adore kids, but I’m super awkward with very little ones. I refuse to carry them due to lack of experience and fear that I will drop them. But once they are a little more “solid” lol, I’m good. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

40 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Hihi not sure about pets when he was young, but I think I read somewhere he help with campaign to foster abandoned animals with costar in shine or go crazy.  Side note poor giraffe.

Hmmm... So it could be that even if he is not very playful, he does connect with children and animals. He seems to makes them feel safe. As @dramafan33 said the kitty was comfortable with him. We know now that horses trust him. As to children- the baby in FTLY was calmed by JH, the little girls from Robbers and Flu seemed to adore him, and the girl from "Thank you" literally fell in love with him :)

It just that he couldn't be with small boys that rambunctious (like his own boys :) ) for too long as they stress him. It could be his need to help everyone and make sure everyone around him are safe, that he couldn't take his own boys' antics when they were small... 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

It just that he couldn't be with small boys that rambunctious (like his own boys :) ) for too long as they stress him. It could be his need to help everyone and make sure everyone around him are safe, that he couldn't take his own boys' antics when they were small... 

I think he expend a lot of energy all day for work.  Boys and girls tend to be different.  Boys are rough and more hyper I think so that's another factor that can add to stress.  Girls you can play with dolls, have tea times and dress them up.  Of course every kid is different, but for majority through my own experience and through family shows like return of superman and little forest I think pretty accurate.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

As to children- the baby in FTLY was calmed by JH, the little girls from Robbers and Flu seemed to adore him, and the girl from "Thank you" literally fell in love with him :)

I think he's generally better with bigger kids. The girls in Robbers/Flu/TY that kind of age. But then again, it's different when you interact with them only on site compared to your own kids at home. I think few hours of fun with them is fine for JH but if it's his own kids at home, he can get stressed as they're hyper & it's your own kids, you can't deposit them to someone else. :phew:

18 hours ago, corey said:

Ha ha, it will be forever puzzling  JH fans.

Yes, not knowing what had happened. Forgive me for harping on it. It's such a big scene! He was magnificent in MC even though it was a supporting role.

I saw this clip yesterday- I must say I've never heard JH make those sounds! It's hilarious!

He can do soprano B) ahahaha! But the hairstyle! :tears:

• Like 3

It is such a glaring discontinuity that the editors should be really, really ashamed of themselves! Somebody simply either forgot to film a scene and then there was no time for re-shoots so they knowingly edited it that way hoping nobody would notice (as if we would not notice a scene with our oppa not making any sense!), or the editor was super sloppy (but someone from the production should have noticed it!)

Again, they were super lucky to have JH to make this show memorable. Again, I find the majority of K-Drama show like that - actors make an enormous effort, while writers and directors can get away with shoddy job - writers particularly, What is it with K-Drama writers that they cannot come up with a plausible story where all the ends tie nicely and the story is consistent and character follow a logical development?

Not sure if my thinking is correct but here it is : in C drama I know that filming starts only when the script is done up & given to the actors/actress to study. I'm not saying C drama has good script (there are horrible scripts too) but at least there's time to do amendments because filming hasn't started. For instance if writer had written up to episode 10 & she decides to change episode 2 or 3, it can still be done.

However, if my guess is correct, K drama films before the whole script is up. While the completed episodes been filmed, the scriptwriter is still writing the following episodes. And if she decides to last minute change any thing in earlier episodes, it can't be done because it had been filmed. To re film it would cost time & money. She just needs to continue where she left off but sometimes it's difficult to continue because it either doesn't make sense or too time consuming or whatever reasons. If it's too time consuming, the director may not want to film it because it's only a short drama & JH isn't the lead. The production would rather concentrate on the lead. So we had that horrible jungle scene where we've been led to guess what happened...:triumph:

So your thinking is right in any ways, probably been filmed but edited (cut off) or not been filmed & the production hoping that audience don't get to notice it. Is such a big scene, how can we not notice it? I really pity the actors actresses because they only act whatever is written for them.

• Like 2

I just read something quite interesting. Differences between C drama & K drama. I just give some points here (too long the article). These are written by different people, just like us in this forum. You may agree/you may not agree.

- c drama has more mature looking actors. Longer episodes & lack of quality scenarios. Voices are dubbed. C actors aren't handsome but they focus on acting instead. C drama has lots of fantasy/historical drama which is interesting.

- k drama care alot about visual & their leads are handsome/pretty. Episodes are shorter so it's less boring. Status is a major concern in k drama.

- k drama has lighter plots compared to c drama. K drama have turned into melodrama, acting quality & creativity reduced. Scenes & dialogues are predictable. Same repeating kind of stories, lack of stories concept but concentrated greatly on looks.

- k drama lacking proper directing/editing. Koreans like cutesy things in their drama. K drama are more geared towards younger audience. k drama focus on chemistry. c drama lacks chemistry. k actors always look younger. c actors always look older.

I was actually trying to search for an article/interview which JH did ages ago when he filmed in China for New Sea. I read it in chinese but now I cannot find it. He was asked the difference between filming in korea & in china. He said in (I cannot remember which country) the filming is done according to location. In another country (I cannot remember which country), the filming is done according to time of the day. Something like this.... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, corey said:

What is worse, I have recently seen an example of a drama where the writer changed the original idea of the plot because of the viewer's reaction! Namely, the second Female Lead ended up with the other guy, because Oh Min Seok playing the other guy was so charismatic and so beloved by the audience that the writer decided not to risk the viewer's wrath and change the plot! Of course, it all makes for rather inconsistent viewing and also explains why the quality of writing deteriorates in K-Dramas after several episodes - those first eps were written with care to grab attention, and then hurriedly finished leaving plot holes and inconsistencies.

The worse thing that can happen. The story is according to viewers reaction.

14 minutes ago, corey said:

Again, as I said , C-Dramas start to make sense after 7th episode, K-Dramas stop making sense after 7th episode

I agree c drama tends to have a bad start. And it usually goes like (for romance drama), initially I cannot stand you, you cannot stand me. There's a chinese saying that goes : if I don't fight with you, I don't get to know you, I don't get to befriend you. :phew:So initially we have to fight first. :tounge_wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corey said:

It is just that the dramas are so long that it needs time to set up the characters, the locations, the dynamics of the characters etc. It is just that for me it is sometimes too long, that set up.

Yup agree. I usually ff until the parts which is watchable. I don't need the introduction.

And I mostly agree with your compilation of differences between K-Dramas and C-Dramas - (with the exception of handsomness of actors - C-actors can be hot too! Lin GenXin! Wengo Gao! Xing Zhao Lin! Wang Rui Chang!)

Did you watch God of War Zhao Yun? Lin Geng Xin is good there.

However, there is one more thing that has struck me recently - apart from sageuks, I can recall only one show where a grown- up FL had her own natural hair colour! But I have a feeling that it is not so in C-Dramas. Or is it?

For modern drama, it's usually their real hair. C drama historical head dress is very elaborate. Hardly would be their real hair. Also for era drama, like 1930s shanghai bund era, probably have to wear wig to suit that era hairstyle.

• Like 1