5 hours ago, budgerie said:

Oh wow! You're really busy, following so many fan accounts on IG. :lol:

Ya I know, sometimes when the storyline gets exciting, is hard to work. Keep thinking of what's next. Esp if it's historical drama, just looking at the number of episodes makes me tired but I enjoy historical drama.

I hope he will do another historical drama (again) but be a king this time already. He'll probably be the most handsome king :grimace:

When I saw My Country, I finally understood why people love JH in sageuks. I have not watched him in other sageuks because (aside from Chuno) the rest didn’t have very good reviews. But watching MC made me realize when people say he fits the genre like a glove. I would love to see him play King too, but I would love a melo more. Hahaha. I am not a big fan of historical dramas at all LOL. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

36 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

When I saw My Country, I finally understood why people love JH in sageuks. I have not watched him in other sageuks because (aside from Chuno) the rest didn’t have very good reviews. But watching MC made me realize when people say he fits the genre like a glove. I would love to see him play King too, but I would love a melo more. Hahaha. I am not a big fan of historical dramas at all LOL. 

I actually really like him in Shine or go crazy. Especially the part in which he is "under cover". He is hilarious in it! In fact, the entire cast was hilarious during that part :) And that show is also a sort of a melo. I know that some people say that his make up and hair was bad there, but I actually don't see it. I think he looked great. I thought his look was much worse in Deep rooted tree... So, if you feel like it- watch that show. It's one of the shows that I like to rewatch (unlike Chuno...)

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I think you could give a try to Tree with deep roots. Jang Hyuk’s acting there is not super subtle and his character is a bit on the mercurial side but, the drama itself is very engaging. To be honest, I will always have a soft spot for TWDR and his character as this is the drama where I saw him for the first time. It was also a very successful drama in terms of ratings. Its a dynamic drama, not boring at all. 

Shine or go crazy, its like seeing Lee Gun in olden times, it has some production value issues but, to be fair, there is a good amount of romance and chemistry with the female lead. They have kisses even. That’s a rare sageuk that is best at its lighthearted romantic moments than it is at the tense politic intrigue aspect. I think you might fight it enjoyable if you go with the expectation that its not “a sophisticated masterpiece”. The drama has heart and it has satisfying action sequences. 

I’m one of the few people it seems that has watched Great Ambition, its old, its slowish as older dramas tend to be but I loved so many aspects of it, especially the fact that Jang Hyuk played a sweet soft and warm character, which is rare for him even when he was younger (he always had a tendency to play “bad boys”) 

I’d only advice you to stay away from Gaekju aka The Merchant

@Biology Lesson To me Wang So got handsomer as the drama progressed. He looked so hot as the white tiger! I think SOGC’s writing was on the “juvenile” side, and director was letting people just “play” which allowed for a fun crazy first part that I bet was just the actors writing the drama themselves lol, but it was enjoyable. At times Wang So felt like a mix of Lee Gun and Jack Sparrow. BTW it was interesting that even though korean media criticized the drama and Jang Hyuk, it actually pulled decent ratings at the time. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I think you could give a try to Tree with deep roots. Jang Hyuk’s acting there is not super subtle and his character is a bit on the mercurial side but, the drama itself is very engaging. To be honest, I will always have a soft spot for TWDR and his character as this is the drama where I saw him for the first time. It was also a very successful drama in terms of ratings. Its a dynamic drama, not boring at all. 

Shine or go crazy, its like seeing Lee Gun in olden times, it has some production value issues but, to be fair, there is a good amount of romance and chemistry with the female lead. They have kisses even. That’s a rare sageuk that is best at its lighthearted romantic moments than it is at the tense politic intrigue aspect. I think you might fight it enjoyable if you go with the expectation that its not “a masterpiece”. The drama has heart and it has satisfying action sequences. 

I’m one of the few people it seems that has watched Great Ambition, its old, its slowish as older dramas tend to be but I loved so many aspects of it, especially the fact that Jang Hyuk played a sweet soft and warm character, which is rare for him even when he was younger (he always had a tendency to play “bad boys”) 

I’d only advice you to stay away from Gaekju aka The Merchant

9 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I actually really like him in Shine or go crazy. Especially the part in which he is "under cover". He is hilarious in it! In fact, the entire cast was hilarious during that part :) And that show is also a sort of a melo. I know that some people say that his make up and hair was bad there, but I actually don't see it. I think he looked great. I thought his look was much worse in Deep rooted tree... So, if you feel like it- watch that show. It's one of the shows that I like to rewatch (unlike Chuno...)

thanks guys! I actually avoid those shows not Solely because those shows aren’t good, or didn’t have good reviews, but because I kinda am very disinterested in sageuk haha. That’s why I forced myself to watch MC just for JH’s sake. I mostly fast forwarded parts without him. 

Is Great Ambition a sageuk too? I guess I’ve been spoilt, watching all the dramas he was critically acclaimed in (MC, BM, FTLY and MF) so much so that I don’t know if I wanna watch shows when his acting was less polished haha. Save for Chuno - I still haven’t watched that even though it was his classic. Also, not that enthusiastic abt it solely because it isn’t a modern drama. 

I wanna keep my fingers crossed his next drama is not a sageuk :sweatingbullets: he can always play those when he is older still. But he should play more modern dramas when he is at his peak 40s! 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

thanks guys! I actually avoid those shows not Solely because those shows aren’t good, or didn’t have good reviews, but because I kinda am very disinterested in sageuk haha. That’s why I forced myself to watch MC just for JH’s sake. I mostly fast forwarded parts without him. 

Well, I think most of us fast forwarded the parts without JH in MC... :) 

13 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Is Great Ambition a sageuk too? I guess I’ve been spoilt, watching all the dramas he was critically acclaimed in (MC, BM, FTLY and MF) so much so that I don’t know if I wanna watch shows when his acting was less polished haha. Save for Chuno - I still haven’t watched that even though it was his classic. Also, not that enthusiastic abt it solely because it isn’t a modern drama. 

When I started watching JH's shows, Shine or go crazy was the third show of his I watched, and it still kept me interested :) I think after that I watched Deep rooted tree. That show I liked, but not because of JH's role, but rather the story was fascinating to me. Chuno I kept for last, as I heard so many good things about it, but it actually ended up being one of my least favorite JH shows- didn't like the cast nor the writing...

I wonder- why do people dislike sageuk so much? I admit I only saw sageuks with JH, so - what specifically is the difference between them and the more modern shows?

14 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I wanna keep my fingers crossed his next drama is not a sageuk :sweatingbullets: he can always play those when he is older still. But he should play more modern dramas when he is at his peak 40s! 

Whatever he chooses next- he better not touch a strand of his hair and it better have a love story in it! I was looking again the screen grabs from episode 6 and I couldn't help imagining how he'd look with that hair in a more... romantic scene... Holy crap!:sweatingbullets: Maybe the next project needs to be a romantic movie- not as chaste as most KDramas...:blush:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@The Reel Life @Biology Lesson Ive often heard of people who simply don’t like historical or period pieces of any country while others prefer them. Its similar to not liking things that are too “genre” like medical, court dramas, school dramas while others specifically are drawn to certain genres. About period pieces I often hear that they are “heavy”. I personally go for historicals of any country. I think something I like is the different setting and atmosphere, I feel it helps with (my own) immersion and also there’s this perception that “outrageous plots” feel more “plausible” in older time periods. I like fantasy for similar reasons (while some friends of mine say they don’t like fantasy and prefer “realistic” settings) 

Jang Hyuk definitely has a good reputation is sageuk. My korean friend told me a phrase they use for him in Korea but I forgot! (I’ll ask her) its something like “You can trust Jang Hyuk in sageuk”. This doesn’t really have an effect on non korean speakers but it seems Jang Hyuk is an actor who is very believable in historical, Because he even transforms the way he speaks. In Chuno they were meticulous with the language, royal characters spoke like royals, etc and Daegil was a noble, so he used sophisticated phrases but was also crude and rude, my korean friend told me you could tell his “history” by the way he spoke (a noble who turned into a slave hunter). They also used “old korean” language in Chuno, so it was an extra level of challenge but helped with immersion. Of course many nuances would get lost in translation, unfortunately. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

My korean friend told me a phrase they use for him in Korea but I forgot! (I’ll ask her) its something like “You can trust Jang Hyuk in sageuk”

I often see this phrase on Naver comments - is it this: 믿고 보는 배우 장혁 ??

(I’m trying to practice my Korean too haha) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

He doesn't have his right eye scar here?? :sweatingbullets: Did the makeup artist forget? LOL. Or is his scar also fake? hahaha.

It's there. I think it got lost in his laugh wrinkles :)  Now I see this is from the preview of episode 8. OHJ- he's quite a character! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Hahaha! I wish it is a historical drama again but a King this time! Or even be a bad evil enuch also can. :grimace:

7 hours ago, corey said:

I will try Shine or Go Crazy, then, especially when as you say it has kisses in it.

The kisses are chaste. Knowing majority of k drama kisses. Moreover it's a sageuk.

Btw - ep 7 of TMWYS is much more interesting!

Spoiler

Like it when SY told OHJ off! The guy needs to be told off that he is impolite! :lol:Good to see Team Leader Hwang & her team working for once (not just blind running here & there) but as usual, they all need SY memory to solve a case. Hope to see more interaction between OHJ & SY.

• Like 3

@corey Well, ok here goes my opinion which I know is obviously not shared by everyone, so take it with a grain of salt, its simply my own personal opinion. I do try to not talk too much of dramas of JH I don’t like because honestly people should check things out for themselves since we all have different taste. I don’t like to influence people negatively so I’ll hide my conments so only those interested may read them

Spoiler

Gaekju is long, boring and to me Jang Hyuk’s acting in it was actually objectively bad on some scenes (like embarrassing bad). Especially during first episodes where he was supposed to be 18 years old (I mean) Jang Hyuk even joked about how much he strained his voice in that drama. There was a lot of screaming. It was mostly a bunch of old sageuk ahjussis screaming. Age wise Jang Hyuk was among the babies in the drama. There were some excellent scenes too, but it doesn’t make up for how tedious and tiresome the drama ended up being overall. Also, he had zero chemistry with the female lead. Its based on a historical novel, I think very traditional? His character was also bland, almost a martyr, everything happened to him, there were these villains who kept runining his life and he kept forgiving them. A classic TSTL (too stupid to live) character. More importantly his character wasn’t a martial artist so the fights were blah and his look was the least sexy ever. There, I said it. 

On the other hand, I would encourage you to check out Tree with deep roots, its a much better drama

What other JH dramas have you watched and which are your favorite? 

Kissing in SOGC might be “chaste” but the way he looked at her wasn’t chaste. As you know he speaks with the eyes. Also, this is an actress who corresponded. I think I didn’t appreciate her enough because this drama followed Fated to love you and his chemistry with Jang Nara is out of this world but I’d say Oh Yeon Seo is a close second or third. This is a MV that shows one of the kisses. I just made myself want to watch again 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I miss Jang Hyuk doing kissing scenes :sweatingbullets:

Here is this Robbers scene. I appreciated him and Lee Da Hae as an on screen couple too. While the kiss is delicate (and camera pulls away frustrating me) the kiss feels warm, sweet, human (unlike in many other kdramas) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

I miss Jang Hyuk doing kissing scenes :sweatingbullets:

Here is this Robbers scene. I appreciated him and Lee Da Hae as an on screen couple too. While the kiss is delicate (and camera pulls away frustrating me) the kiss feels warm, sweet, human (unlike in many other kdramas) 

Oh wow thanks for sharing this @dramafan33! I never intentionally looked for anything related to this show, but this scene is so delicate and sweet! :wub: like so so delicate and gentle! Argh now you making me miss Hyukie doing kissing scenes too. And you’re making me wonder if I should watch Robbers. Look at the way he looks at her, his eyes tell a million stories. That’s why I’ve always been an advocate for him doing love stories. It’s different, telling pain and telling love with your eyes, a whole different kind of acting that can’t be compared and cannot be compensated by doing one or the other. Sigh I will go on to hope till that day comes when he does romance again :sweatingbullets:

I guess the last “proper” kissing scene which was good that he had was BM. I really liked that too, WiFi couple was so cute!!  (I don’t count the WOL one, didn’t feel any chemistry in that kiss) 

If anyone (@corey?) has not watched this then don’t click on the IG vid, it’s a spoiler! 

• Like 3

@The Reel Life I LOVE Wifi couple, but more like a cute odd couple, sex appeal wise there wasn’t a lot there but they did make me go awwww, I especially like the scene when he tells her that “the person who has made me feel something is you” (I think I’m misquoting but you probably know which I’m referring to) They had so many good heartfelt scenes together

I personally love Robbers. I could warn you about a lot of things, and I understand why people might not like it, its an old drama etc etc etc but there was a lot of chemistry between Jang Hyuk and Lee Da Hae, many kissing and hugging scenes, he played a complex character (whom I initially hated) but his repentance is wonderfully done, very satisfying. He also has adorable scenes with the female lead’s daughter. This drama is my guilty pleasure, I rewatch it more than any other of his dramas (even knowing that overall, is not his best) 

• Like 5