Advice Please =]

Guest bostykid

Guest bostykid

Hey everyone! I was wondering if you guys could answer couple of my questions about singing. I never really sang cause I guess it just never really crossed my mind all these years. However, I'm pretty decent at guitar and I kinda want to start singing along with my playing now. Plus, couple people in my youth group are saying I might be the next praise band leader -.-;; I'm not a natural singer so I'm gettin kinda worried about being a praise leader... It's not for certain, but I rather be prepared in case =] 1) What does it mean to sing from the stomache and not the throat? The chest? 2) If my throat is hurting I'm obviously singing wrong right? 3) I can't seem to sing very high nor low, so how do you expand your singing range? I'm neither bass nor tennor right now to be descriptive. 4) What does falsetto and head voice mean? 5) How do I acess my falsetto and head voice? Aite thanks alot guys =]

These questions belong in the singing tips and recording questions thread.

If your throat is hurting, don't sing. What do you mean by "hurt"?

Falsetto is when your voice is soft. Like when you go high and your voice goes softer...umm...Mariah Carey does that I think and if you listen to that new Robbie Williams song, he does the chorus in falsetto xD Head voice I think is the same thing.

1) What does it mean to sing from the stomache and not the throat? The chest?

Singing from the stomache just means singing with support. There's a way to sing from the chest and throat but having support at the same time... it just takes practice.

2) If my throat is hurting I'm obviously singing wrong right?

You're doing the wrong thing with your body...try squeezing your stomach muscles or your butt cheeks so theres no tension in your neck and chest.

3) I can't seem to sing very high nor low, so how do you expand your singing range? I'm neither bass nor tennor right now to be descriptive.

It jsut takes practice to expand your range.. well some people say you cant increase your range but i personally feel that you can...i'm able to hit a high A now with no problem (of course in like yelling aha but im not hurting anything)

4) What does falsetto and head voice mean?

falsetto/head voice is your fake voice.. its soft and airy.. not airy.. well airy in a sense.. it's a floaty noise.. there shouldnt be any tension at all.

5) How do I acess my falsetto and head voice?

it should come naturally as you progress into your higher range.

hope that helped.. course mine isnt probably accurate as some peoples are but.. this is just from experience.

1) What does it mean to sing from the stomache and not the throat? The chest? By the stomache...I'm guessing you mean the diaphram, and it means you're singing correctly. Singing from the throat...could mean you're straining your voice...but I've never really heard that expression used.

Usually, chest and head voice are the two that are paired up. The chest voice is used for your lower register (lower notes) and the head voice kicks in when you sing higher. The difference is that the chest voice seems to have a deeper sound and the head voice often has an airy/light sound. The only problem you may find if you do not try to keep these two voices similar to one another (a good balance, not belting, but not like a hardly audible sound), is the area of notes you change at. If you're singing a song, and you change from chest to head voice, the notes will sound very different and usually not pleasant.

2) If my throat is hurting I'm obviously singing wrong right? Probably. If you're not suffering from allergies or a cold that affects the sinuses and throat, then you could be using a bad technique. If you feel that you're forcing yourself to be louder (i.e.-belting), that can give you vocal nodes (lumps of flesh on your vocal chords) and tthey usually can't be removed.

3) I can't seem to sing very high nor low, so how do you expand your singing range? I'm neither bass nor tenor right now to be descriptive.

Are you a Baritone then? If You can't reach the really low bass notes, but it feels like you're straning for the tenor notes...then you're probably a Baritone.

It's hard to describe the warm ups through words...but what helps me reach higher notes is saying "OOO" at the highest point I can and just sliding down to the lowest point, quickly. Just make it relaxed and almost lazy and the notes should come out easier.

In a song, to reach higher notes:

*Support your sound with correct breathing

*Stay energized to prevent going flat

*Open your mouth more (not excessively)

4) What does falsetto and head voice mean? A falsetto is basically a guy thing, where some men can sing as high as a soprano (usually tenors). If you've ever mocked a girl's voice, and tried to have a "girly"/high voice, then you've probably tapped into your falsetto. Falsetto and head voice isn't the same thing. The Head voice occurs naturally, but the falsetto may take some practice to blend better with the rest of your voice. Sometimes, it's not physically possible for some guys to have a very good falsetto (A bass who can sing very deep and have a limited range will probably have trouble with a falsetto).

5) How do I acess my falsetto and head voice? I'm not really sure about the falsetto, but the head voice should just come naturally. If it doesn't, stop forcing your voice to sing deeper or louder, b/c it'll hurt your voice and eventually make you go flat.

Hm, I think the people above me have given some good explanations to your questions. I'll just add-on to theirs.

Being a praise leader isn't all about the voice. It's good to be able to sing, but you don't need to have the voice of brian mc knight or steven curtis chapman. Just sing from your heart, sing with passion, and just have the right heart. And you'll be set. :)

Guest bostykid

Haha of course =] I dont expect to become that good (though it might be nice to) -.- But I just want to learn how to sing on tune and w/o hurting myself =P

Definetly praise is from the heart =D

Guest Sakura Li

Everyone pretty much answered your questions but my definition of falsetto is when you want to sing in a high range but you can't reach there with the same strong volume so your volume tends to back off. It's airy in a good way. XD

Archived