Starring: Shin Ha-Gyeon, Kim Hee-Seon, Kim Min-Joon, Park So-Hyeon

Director: Kim Jeong-Gweon

Genre: Romance, Melodrama

Runtime: 107mins

Production: Ditto Entertainment

Distribution: Big Blue Film

Language: Korean

amanwhowent2mars.jpg

Little Seung-jae stays up all night and writes letters to So-hee, pretending to be her father in Mars. Leaving Seung-jae's innocent heart behind, So-hee leaves for a big city. Both grown up to be adults, Seung-jae is a postman who writes letters to So-hee's grandma - the letters that never came from So-hee. So-hee's heart hardens after hardships in life and she comes back to her hometown and Seung-jae's heart swells up again at seeing her again...

amanwhowenttomars.jpg

SOURCE : 화성으로 간 사나이

화성으로 간 사나이

화성으로 간 사나이

화성으로 간 사나이

화성으로 간 사나이

화성으로 간 사나이

• 4 weeks later...

Yay I want watch this movie.... anybody can tell me this movie? :sweatingbullets:

tell you what?

I wrote a summary under the Shin HaKyun thread

… I didn't even notice that Jang Jin co-wrote "A Man Who Went to Mars"! He's written some great movies, that's for sure, "Ditto", as well as many of the movies we've already mentioned above ("Guns & Talks", "Welcome to DongMakGol", "The Big Scene"). The premise is that as kids SHK and KHS grew up together in a small rural town. Her father is dying of some cronic illness, but keeps telling her that he'll to be going on a journey to Mars and that he'll be gone a long time. When he finally does die, SHK's character finds out and he strikes a deal with their postman. He begins to write letters to the girl posing as her father writing from Mars. He continues to do this for a very long time, but I think she at some point goes to live in Seoul with her mom (or something, like I said, it wasn't that memorable!) They meet up again as adults when she comes to see her grandmother, who soon dies, and whose land she then has to sell. Oh, and I think there's a big subplot about how everyone in the town has to get out b/c they're building a dam which will flood the whole area.

Anyway, SHK's kind of a simple-minded character who's still secretly in love with her, but she already has a boyfriend (Kim Min-Joo, actually). There's a lot about rural vs. city life, progress (or change) vs. the status quo, etc. I think it has a bitter-sweet ending. It's not a BAD movie, it has a quiet charm to it, but it's not really GREAT, either. Probably worth a rental.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sWeEteSt.eTeRNiiTy

hmm..i heard Baek Sung Hyun is in this... hmm... i wanna watch.. lolz. XD...this story kinna sounds familiar to the Hong Kong series called "A Simple Life" the part about thinkign the father is in Mars and writing letters thingy. but ill check this out. =]

• 4 months later...

Archived