❤ Ji Sung ❤ 지성 / Drama 2022 : Adamas

LoVeCartier

*** TODAY is D-DAY! This will be available on Viki with English subtitles! :P

Ji Sung Compares Past Medical Drama “New Heart” To “Doctor John” + Describes Working With Lee Se Young

f8ed742985234da0b4fb6154b7e8c420.jpeg?s=

Ji Sung and Lee Se Young shared their thoughts on their drama “Doctor John.”

“Doctor John” tells the story of doctors who try to uncover the unknown causes of pain felt by chronically ill patients.

On July 18, Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, Lee Kyu Hyung, Hwang Hee, Jung Min Ah, Kim Hye Eun, and Shin Dong Mi attended a press conference for the new SBS series.

Ji Sung will portray Cha Yo Han, Hanse Hospital’s youngest anesthesiology professor and the most promising doctor in his field. This is the actor’s first medical drama in 12 years after “New Heart.”

He began, “I feel a lot of responsibility. I was a resident in ‘New Heart,’ but I’m appearing as a professor this time. ‘New Heart’ was really meaningful because it was my first project after being discharged from the military. I remember working hard while preparing for it. After completing that drama, I thought, ‘In the future, I should play a professor and not a resident,’ and my dream came true.”

He continued, “It’s very meaningful to me. I like hospitals. I like the smell of hospitals and the smell of disinfectants. There’s a feeling of calmness when going to the hospital. I think that it’s a space where there’s the most amount of sincerity in the world. My mind feels comfortable when I go to the hospital, so I felt more excited than when selecting another project.”

The actor added, “I’m preparing in various ways to play an anesthesiology professor. I have the mindset of sincerely studying everything I can. I thought that I should be at a point where I can be responsible for what I say in my lines.”

“Since I have congenital spondylosis (spinal bone defect), I don’t have bones in certain parts,” revealed Ji Sung. “So I used to exercise for my health, and I could relate [to the drama] a lot since I paid a lot of attention to my health. If someone says their lower back hurts, I have a lot to say as if I’m an anesthesiologist. I can relate to it in terms of maintaining my health, and I like it.”

Doctor-John3.jpg

On his teamwork with Lee Se Young, Ji Sung said, “She works really hard in real life. I’m also that way, so I think that I should work hard in order to not cause harm. Lee Se Young is actually my sunbae (senior in the industry). She’s been in this field for a while, so I liked seeing her acting with responsibility. I think I’ve met a really good partner.”

“I joined the drama with a joyful heart after hearing that director Jo Soo Won and Ji Sung would be in it,” said Lee Se Young. “I heard that people feel a lot of comfort just for the fact that people sympathize with them during their hard and painful times. I hope that many people will feel comfort and healing while watching our drama.”

Lee Kyu Hyung added, “I immediately said that I would be in the drama when I heard that Ji Sung and Lee Se Young would be in it. The script was so easy to read. I liked that it had joys and sorrows while not being provocative.”

“Doctor John” premieres on July 19 at 10 p.m. KST, and will be available on Viki with English subtitles! Watch the trailer now:

Watch Now

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) / soompi news

Drama viewership ratings for the week of July 15-21, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

We had another medical drama drop this weekend, Ji Sung’s Doctor John, with much better results. The show premiered to 6.0 percent Friday and moved up to 10.1 percent on Saturday.

Friday, July 19      
Doctor John 1 SBS 6.0%
Doctor John 2 SBS 8.4%
Saturday, July 20      
Mother of Mine 69 KBS 25.0%
Mother of Mine 70 KBS 29.5%
Golden Garden 1 MBC 4.5%
Golden Garden 2 MBC 7.2%
Golden Garden 3 MBC 6.4%
Golden Garden 4 MBC 7.3%
Doctor John 3 SBS 7.0%
Doctor John 4 SBS 10.1%
Watcher 5 OCN 3.6%
Hotel del Luna 3 tvN 8.3%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/07/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-july-15-21-2019/

Ji Sung Shows Up At A Mixed Martial Arts Match In Teasers For “Doctor John”

b00c0991c2c94fe2a1fb73fece235d8e.jpeg?s=

Ji Sung’s latest teasers for his new medical drama, SBS’s “Doctor John,” has viewers guessing because of the unexpected location.

“Doctor John” stars Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, Lee Kyu Hyung, and more in a story about doctors who try to find the unknown causes of pain felt by chronically ill patients.

Ji Sung’s character, Cha Yo Han, is a former anesthesiologist who was serving a prison sentence at the beginning of the drama.

Although prison is hardly the typical location for a medical drama, the latest stills for Cha Yo Han show him in another unexpected location.

ji-sung-doctor-john-1.jpg

In the photos, Cha Yo Han climbs up to the ring during a “Road FC” mixed martial arts match and is seen examining one of the fighters, an athlete named Joo Hyung Woo (played by Ha Do Kwon). It seems as if there is something wrong with the fighter’s face and Ji Sung treats the injury skilfully despite the fact that he isn’t there in any formal capacity (he isn’t wearing a doctor’s gown).

The scene in question was filmed on June 15 in the city of Wonju in Gangwon Province. The scene was filmed at a real “Road FC” match arena and filming took place during breaks in the real match and after the real match was over. The “Road FC” representatives allowed filming to occur with their staff members and audience members present, contributing to a sense of realism for the drama.

Ji Sung prepared a lot for the scene as well, holding discussions with the director, Jo Su Won, and actor Ha Do Kwon. The production staff stated, “No matter what scene we’re filming, Ji Sung devotes himself and does his best. He carries much of the weight on

‘Doctor John.’ In Episodes 3 and 4, Ji Sung will be working as a bona fide anesthesiologist and chronic pain doctor, but there will be unexpected developments in store.”

You can watch the latest episode of “Doctor John” with English subtitles below!

Watch Now

Source (1) / soompi news

*** This is a fantastic drama. JS has never disappointed me. This is another awesome show from him.  Ji Sung acting is superb here. :P

First Impressions: “Doctor John” Is Not Afraid To Debate About Sensitive Topics

6391ad98e3b44204a0ce5d41726e2b7e.png?s=9

Guyyyys, Ji Sung is back in jail again!

Ji-Sung5.jpg

From Inmate 3866 (in “Defendant“) to Inmate 6238 (in “Doctor John”)

But don’t fret just yet. He’s no longer an inmate on death row, nor is he fighting for his daughter’s life. Instead this time around, Ji Sung plays Cha Yo Han, a talented doctor who lands himself in jail after committing a crime. While incarcerated, he meets Kang Si Young (Lee Se Young), a second-year resident who helps out as the prison’s medical officer. Though she finds him arrogant and disruptive at first and is thus hesitant to accept his help, she eventually starts to trust him and his judgment. And before we know it (which is by the end of Episode 4), Cha Yo Han has completed his sentence and is released back out into the world!

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let’s take a more detailed look at what we’ve seen so far:

Warning: Spoilers for Episodes 1-4 of “Doctor John” below:

Spoiler

Key Players

Cha Yo Han (Ji Sung)

Doctor-John-Ji-Sung1-540x304.jpg

Cha Yo Han starts off the series as Inmate 6238, a prisoner who has a “he-who-must-not-be-named” presence in the prison.

During his first few days in prison (three years ago), his chest was slashed during a hazing incident. Unperturbed, he grabbed a medical kit and sewed himself up without using any form of anesthesia. Since then, he has also been consistently interfering with the prison medical officers’ diagnoses and trying to get them replaced because of their incompetence.

Doctor-John-Ji-Sung-gif-3.gif

Cha Yo Han is seen to have strong observational and deductive skills, which makes him an excellent diagnostician. He also has his own code — he believes that doctors shouldn’t sit by and watch idly while their patient suffers. This belief is the driving force behind him (illegally) administering euthanasia to a child three years ago and was what eventually landed him in prison. And it’s this not-so-black-and-white characterization of him that makes Cha Yo Han such an intriguing character. In fact, he kind of reminds me of Gregory House of the U.S. series “House,” where both of these doctors are incredibly perceptive while also willing to bend the rules in the interest of their patient.

Kang Si Young (Lee Se Young)

Doctor-John-Lee-Se-Young-540x304.jpg

Kang Si Young is a second-year resident at Hanse Medical Center (HSMC) who suffers from PTSD from failing to save a life. She blames herself for the death and punishes herself by dropping out of her residency program and leaving the hospital. She intends to escape it all by fleeing to Madagascar, but before she is able to, her uncle asks her to help out at his prison as the medical officer.

Doctor-John-Lee-Se-Young-gif-1.gif

There, she encounters the enigmatic Inmate 6238 who helps her save her patients. While at first, she appears to be a tough cookie when dealing with the “trouble-seeking” patients in prison, she’s not as self-assured as she appears to be when having to treat the more severe patients, especially that of Inmate 5353.

Though Cha Yo Han is adamant that the inmate has Fabry disease (a rare genetic illness), the rarity of the disease and lack of indicators become reasons for the hospital to not start treatment. Kang Si Young, not wanting to take chances, actively seeks out medication from the hospitals, and when push comes to shove, administers the treatment just in time to save the inmate’s life. Having successfully saved Inmate 5353, her passion for saving lives is once again rekindled. She thus asks to rejoin the residency program and is accepted back to HSMC.

Kang Si Young is someone who is obviously carrying a lot of emotional baggage and trauma around, but with Cha Yo Han now in her orbit, she is hopefully on the path of learning to accept that things aren’t always so cut-and-dry and that sometimes, bad outcomes are unavoidable. (And that there will be less crying in her future.)

Lee Yoo Joon (Hwang Hee)

Doctor-John-Hwang-Hee-540x304.jpg

Lee Yoo Joon is another key player in these first few episodes as he’s the main doctor in charge of Inmate 5353’s case. He’s heard tales of Cha Yo Han’s antics and has a strong distrust towards him, and this distrust bleeds into his interactions with Kang Si Young. He’s a good doctor, but because he isn’t ready to risk his job or compromise his own morals, he is eventually at an impasse with Cha Yo Han-Kang Si Young in regards to how to treat Inmate 5353.

However, now that the drama’s focus is shifting to HSMC, I can’t help but wonder what Lee Yoo Joon’s role will be, since he’s working at a different hospital. (It is a different hospital, right?) Being such different breed of doctors (who all happen to be in the anesthesiology department too), it would’ve been interesting to see the clashes in medical approaches between Lee Yoo Joon and Cha Yo Han-Kang Si Young. But I have a feeling there will be plenty of dissenting voices at HSMC waiting for the latter doctors anyways.

Son Seok Ki (Lee Kyu Hyung)

Doctor-John-Lee-Kyu-Hyung-540x304.jpg

We haven’t seen much of Son Seok Ki these past four episodes, but so far, we can gather that his child was the one who was euthanized by Doctor Cha Yo Han. He is angered by doctors trying to play God, and as such, is unable to forgive Yo Han. As a prosecutor, he wants to make sure that Yo Han is never able to practice again. With such strongly differing ideologies, we’ll undoubtedly see many a time where these two will be going against each other in future episodes.

Doctor-John-Kyu-Hyung.jpg

What worked for the premiere

Ji Sung is without question the star of this drama. He is able to shift from earnest to cynical to confrontational, all within seconds and all with the slightest facial changes. He brings the gravitas needed when dealing with heavy topics such as euthanasia and approaches these scenes with a sense of groundedness and respect for the issues at hand.

He also elevates his scene partners and Lee Se Young shines most during their scenes together. Speaking of Ji Sung and Lee Se Young, the two do share strong chemistry, which is another reason why their scenes always stand out, and I can’t wait to see how their relationship develops in the future (though I for one hope they maintain a mentor-mentee relationship and nothing more).

Doctor-John-Ji-Sung-gif-2.gif

Props also go to the production team for tackling these “grey-area” issues such as euthanasia, where more awareness and debate is often needed. So far, the script is well-written and there have been many memorable quotes that prompt viewers to engage with the story in an empathetic capacity.

Doctor-John-gif-1.gif

What didn’t quite work for the premiere

Unfortunately, the beginning wasn’t a home-run for me. There were times where it felt like the premiere was trying to do too much. The show goes from procedural to medical mystery to revenge to dramatic melo, and the tone of the show suffers in general. There’s even a mysterious person lurking around taking photos of Kang Si Young. I understand it’s supposed to be laying the groundwork for the future, but with more important things happening in the forefront, those scenes just seem out of place.

The background music too can feel a bit manipulative at times. When it works, it works great, but in some scenes, it feels like they are rushing our emotions by choosing purposely intense/swelling music, instead of just guiding and allowing us to genuinely arrive at those emotions. Hopefully, the production can ease up on the heavy-handedness, and instead allow the viewers to organically feel what they want to us feel.

That being said, “Doctor John” still premiered strong and has the ingredients to make for a great character-driven drama. I can’t wait to see what is in store of us down the road!

Doctor-John-Ji-Sung-gif-1.gif

Did you catch the premiere of “Doctor John”? And if so, what did you like most about it? Leave your comments and discussions below!

Start watching “Doctor John”:

Watch Now

credit : soompi news

Spoiler

Drama viewership ratings for the week of July 22-28, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

For the weekend, we have Ji Sung’s Doctor John already reaching double digits. Perhaps this will be the next hit medical drama.

Friday, July 26      
Doctor John 5 SBS 7.7%
Doctor John 6 SBS 12.3%
Saturday, July 27      
Mother of Mine 73 KBS 24.2%
Mother of Mine 74 KBS 29.5%
Golden Garden 5 MBC 4.9%
Golden Garden 6 MBC 6.9%
Golden Garden 7 MBC 6.6%
Golden Garden 8 MBC 7.4%
Doctor John 7 SBS 8.0%
Doctor John 8 SBS 11.2%
Watcher 7 OCN 3.7%
Hotel del Luna 5 tvN 7.0%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/07/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-july-22-28-2019/

Which dramas and actors are most popular right now?

The data company looked at news headlines, blogs, online communities, video clips, and social media from July 22 to 28 to figure out the most popular dramas and actors with viewers currently. tvN's 'Hotel Del Luna' topped the list as most popular drama, while Ong Seong Wu of the drama 'Moments of 18' ranked in at #1 among actors.

Take a look at the full top 10 lists below:

[Dramas]
1. tvN 'Hotel Del Luna' - 26.47%
2. tvN ' Search: WWW' - 16.21%
3. JTBC 'Moments of 18' - 11.58%

4. SBS 'Doctor John' - 5.68%
5. MBC 'Rookie HIstorian Goo Hae Ryung' - 5.21%
6. tvN 'Designated Survivor: 60 Days' - 4.45%
7. OCN 'Watcher' - 3.62%
8. KBS 'Perfume' - 3.21%
9. MBC 'Partners for Justice 2' - 2.53%
10. KBS 'Mother of Mine' - 2.38%

[Actors]
1. Ong Seong Wu - 'Moments of 18'
2. IU - 'Hotel Del Luna'
3. Yeo Jin Goo - 'Hotel Del Luna'
4. Lee Da Hee - 'Search: WWW'
5. Lim Soo Jung - 'Search: WWW'
6. Jeon Hye Jin - 'Search: WWW'
7. Kim Hyang Gi - 'Moments of 18'
8. JI Sung - 'Doctor John'
9. Jang Gi Yong - 'Search: WWW'
10. Shin Se Kyung - 'Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung'

source : allkpop

[HanCinema's News] "Doctor John" Shows Medical Dramas Making a Comeback

photo1087443.jpg

It's hard to believe that medical dramas were once a serious staple of South Korean entertainment. But after the high profile failures of "Blood" and "Medical Top Team" several years back, the genre fell into a slump. That was cast off though, by the surprising success of "Doctor Prisoner". Well, perhaps not so surprising given the popularity of leading actor Namgoong Min, but then that's what gave the genre such a fresh spin.

"Doctor John" is also showing signs of popularity. Where "Doctor Prisoner" had an unusual setting, "Doctor John" deals with an unusual specialty - pain management. The titular doctor is obsessed with pain, something that normal people deal with in daily life all the time. Yet it's a question we never really ask ourselves - what is pain, and where does it come from? In "Doctor John" this common facet of daily life is deliberately analyzed through its obsessive doctor.

The drama has also taken on dark undertones by having the titular doctor struggle with how to help patients who cannot be helped, whose pain is beyond their control as well as the doctor's. "Doctor John" deals with morally amiguous questions and the doctor himself is not above reproach. This kind of storytelling can be repulsive to some, but it is nonetheless quite engaging.

It also helps that, for his questionable activities, "Doctor John" is filled with compassionate doctors who deal with the emotional issues surrounding pain as well as the physical causes. They listen to people and even in exotic situations, that's exactly the kind of attitude people want to see in their medical practitioners. This easygoing style to life-and-death situations is perfect bedside manner - that's the sentiment the drama has been leaving viewers with.

Written by William Schwartz

8 New K-Dramas To Add To Your Watch-List

Are you an internet vagrant searching for the next K-drama to get you through the day? Thankfully, there are approximately 13,000,013 dramas that started these last few weeks, ready for your viewing with English subtitles on Viki. Have at it, friends!

(The dramas below are listed in order of premiere date.)

Doctor John

doctor-john-0.jpg

Airs: Fridays and Saturdays on SBS
Cast: Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, Lee Kyu Hyung

Cha Yo Han (Ji Sung) is a highly-skilled doctor who has been dubbed “Doctor 10 Seconds” for his ability to quickly and accurately diagnose patients in the time it takes them to enter his office and take a seat. He meets the second-year resident Kang Si Young (Lee Se Young), who suffers from guilt and trauma from failing to save someone’s life.

Watch if:

– You love a Mary Sue (the eponymous hero, of course).
– You love moral debates. Say, euthanasia.

doctor-john-ji-sung-lee-se-young.gif

ji-sung-doctor-john.gif

Catch the first episode of “Doctor John”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

9 Of The Nicest Rich Guys Who Shatter K-Drama Stereotypes

Where would K-drama be without chaebols? That’s the Korean word for a wealthy businessman, owner of a vast conglomerate empire, aka the job description of 80 percent of K-drama male leads. It makes sense that this trope is so popular: when we enter the world of chaebols, we get to see how the other half lives and to revel in glamour and luxury which we’d never otherwise experience.

But you know what doesn’t make sense? So many K-drama chaebols are arrogant jerks, and so many female leads keep falling for them anyway. It’s 2019, people! Our leading ladies have better things to do than chase cold, aloof guys who don’t treat them right. That’s why we always love to see a chaebol who knows how to be a decent human being. The more these charming fellas turn up, the more the tide turns and the fewer tired tropes we have to endure.

Want to know which rich guys are leading the way? Let’s find out!

Warning: spoilers ahead!

5. Cha Do Hyun in “Kill Me, Heal Me”

ji-sung-kill-me-heal-me-1.gif

90 percent of the time, a chaebol’s family business is a whole hot mess, thanks to inept, crooked relatives running the show. Some chaebols can’t wait to dive into the mess, while others run away from it. Cha Do Hyun (Ji Sung) is an exception: he’s smart, decent, and savvy enough to be great at the job – if only one of his other personalities wasn’t trying to destroy the whole company.

ji-sung-kill-me-heal-me-2.gif

“Kill Me, Heal Me” is a drama about a man who tries to face his inner demons. It may seem at first that his being rich is incidental to the story, but we soon learn that it’s a key part of what makes him who he is. Hunger for power has corrupted Do Hyun’s family so much, you think it’d do the same for him. But his mental confusion, which seems like a weakness, turns out to be his biggest strength: it’s what keeps him good and decent in the face of all the horrors around him.

Check out the first episode of “Kill Me, Heal Me”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

Ji Sung Shares Lee Bo Young And Their Daughter’s Reactions To His Drama “Doctor John”

56c25084811e4eeab276620c52a57f65.jpeg?s=

Ji Sung expressed gratitude to his wife Lee Bo Young for her encouraging support.

On August 5, producing director (PD) Jo Soo Won, Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, and Lee Kyu Hyung attended a press conference for the drama “Doctor John.”

During the event, Ji Sung shared, “My wife [Lee Bo Young] critiques and compliments me while watching [the drama]. She is my strongest supporter. She always helps me and instills courage in me. Sometimes, when I’m tired of filming and sigh while reading my script, she gives me encouragement. I’m truly grateful.”

He added, “If the ratings are good, she’s happier than I am, and if they drop slightly, she worries that I’ll get hurt.”

Ji Sung mentioned their daughter with laughter, saying, “My daughter also watches it. She asked me, ‘Dad, can you treat me if I’m sick?’, and I told her that although I can’t give her a shot, I can give her medicine. I’m working hard as a father, and I feel proud that I have become a doctor to my daughter.”

“Doctor John” is a suspenseful new drama about doctors specializing in pain management. Ji Sung stars as Cha Yo Han, a genius anesthesiologist who is famous for his ability to assess patients in just 10 seconds. The drama is rapidly gaining popularity with high viewership ratings and recently placed first in its time slot.

“Doctor John” airs Fridays and Saturdays at 10 p.m. KST.

Watch the latest episode of the drama below!

Watch Now

Source (1) / soompi news

Top photo credit: Xportsnews

Drama viewership ratings for the week of July 29-Aug. 4, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

Friday, Aug. 2      
Doctor John 9 SBS 8.5%
Doctor John 10 SBS 10.8%
Saturday, Aug. 3      
Mother of Mine 77 KBS 21.5%
Mother of Mine 78 KBS 27.3%
Golden Garden 9 MBC 5.2%
Golden Garden 10 MBC 7.3%
Golden Garden 11 MBC 7.5%
Golden Garden 12 MBC 7.9%
Doctor John 11 SBS 6.9%
Doctor John 12 SBS 9.2%
Watcher 9 OCN 3.3%
Hotel del Luna 7 tvN 8.1%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-july-29-aug-4-2019/

[HanCinema's News] "Doctor John" Strongly Tied to Death With Dignity Ideology

photo1089243.jpg

Back in May of 2009 the concept of death with dignity made its first big appearance in South Korean culture with a court case which ruled that next of kin had the right to terminate medical care to loved ones who were technically alive, but had no hope of recovery. An elderly man who had become a human vegetable was the point of contention in that case. At a press conference on August 5th "Doctor John" director Jo Soo-won talked about how this idea inspired the creation of "Doctor John".

Jo Soo-won said that he discussed the idea with screenwriter Kim Ji-woon-II back in 2014 and it was at that time they started to do research for the project. Death with dignity is a dedicated word in Korean and Chinese (尊嚴死) that reads out as Jon Eom Sa. This was where they got the idea for the title for "Doctor John".

Lead actor Ji Sung also confirmed that the moral and ethical dilemmas of euthanasia were what drew him to the project. He cited the difficult emotional complexity involved in wanting to save a patient that might not want to be saved, and how under South Korean law it is still difficult to gain legal medical permission to end one's life in cases where living only causes excess suffering.

Ji Sung also specifically mentioned the case of David Goodall, a 104 year old Australian who went to Switzerland to end his life while his grandchildren watched. David Goodall's wife and children had already all preceded him in death. Ji Sung is well read on the concept of assisted suicide. He watched many documentaries and studied a great deal on the subject in preparation for his role.

Ji Sung also praised Taiwan's hospice system and how it was good for patients and families. He was critical of South Korea for not having a similar system. He talked about how he wanted South Korea to become a culture where people can prepare for their inevitable death.

Written by William Schwartz

Ji Sung And Lee Se Young Face Unexpected Crisis In “Doctor John”

76357c5d2b95422faf743942a04b3302.jpeg?s=

In the latest stills for this week’s episodes of SBS’s “Doctor John,” Cha Yo Han (played by Ji Sung) is rushed to the emergency room.

Kang Si Young (Lee Se Young), who knows about Cha Yo Han’s condition, is visibly worried, and Lee Yoo Joon (Hwang Hee) is also on high alert, with an unconscious Cha Yo Han on his back.

A source from the drama said, “Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, and Hwang Hee are showing the best acting chemistry with their tight teamwork. In the upcoming episode this week, Ji Sung will face an unexpected hurdle. Please tune in to see what’s to come and how he, Lee Se Young, and Hwang Hee will deal with it.”

“Doctor John” airs Fridays and Saturdays at 10 p.m. KST.

Catch up with the latest episodes below:

Watch Now

Source (1) / soompi news

8 Times Ji Sung Proved His Acting Skills With Quality K-Drama Characters

7530142b9ff941cea224e2fb41141d4c.jpeg?s=

For many drama enthusiasts, we all have some actors or actresses whom we consider a must-watch. For me, Ji Sung is one of them.

As long as he’s in a new drama, regardless of what the genre or the plotline is, you can be sure I’ll be watching it. The man is just so talented and versatile that he easily captures the essence of each character he dons.

Ji Sung is a giving actor; he is able to elevate the performances of his scene partners. Ji Sung is a consistent actor; he is always good, even if the actual drama is “meh” (cough, “Entertainer,” cough). Ji Sung is a charming actor; he has strong chemistry with just about everyone! Ji Sung is… da bomb! *Cue Perry Park*

Perry-Park.jpg

Even in his earlier works, he was able to pick up the nuances in his characters and deliver layered performances. With age and life experience, his more recent works become even more complex and fascinating to watch. Here are just some of his most interesting characters in K-dramas.

Warning: Spoilers! Spoilers everywhere!

Spoiler

Choi Jung Won in “All In” (2003)

All-In-e1565534580706.jpg

“All In” isn’t Ji Sung’s first drama. In fact, his debut work is a drama called “KAIST” which aired in 1999, a whopping 20 years ago!

But “All In,” due to its wide-reaching popularity and Hallyu-wave-classic status, is often considered to be Ji Sung’s breakthrough drama. Indeed, this was one of his last times playing the second male lead. Fun fact: While other actors were hesitant to take the role, as they were worried about being outshone by the talented Lee Byung Hun, Ji Sung actually grabbed the chance and suggested himself for it.

Despite coming from different social and familial backgrounds, Choi Jung Won (Ji Sung) and Kim In Ha (Lee Byung Hun) become fast friends when they meet in school. While trying to save their friend Min Su Yon (Song Hye Kyo), they commit arson and, unbeknownst to them, manslaughter too. Kim In Ha is sent to prison for his crimes but Choi Jung Won, because of his family’s connection, is cleared of all charges. This split in their paths takes a toll on their friendship as well as bring about changes in their personalities. While teenage Choi Jong Won was the model student, adult Choi Jong Won gives in to his rebel instincts and often lives his life in the grey area — he never veers evil, nor is he ever a saint. It is a hard line to toe, but Ji Sung plays it so well and so layered, which keeps the viewers naturally invested and engaged in his character. Oh, and he held his own across Lee Byun Hun too!

Kim Soo Ro in “Kim Soo Ro” (2010)

Kim-Soo-Ro.jpg

I’m going to be super honest and admit that this drama was added this to the list because it is one of Ji Sung’s rare entries into historical dramas. (Yes, there’s also 2012’s “The Great Seer,” but the cast’s super entertaining “Running Man” appearance was more memorable than the actual drama, so… to each their own.)

Kim-Soo-Ro3.jpg

“Kim Soo Ro” is a story that is largely based on the true tale of Kim Soo Ro, the historical character who unified various tribes and became the founder of the state of Geumgwan Gaya during the Three Kingdoms Period. Ji Sung, who plays this titular character, easily captures Kim Soo Ro’s charisma, intelligence, and tenacity as he slashes his way to the throne. While I personally favor modern-Ji Sung to historical-Ji Sung, there’s no denying that his charms permeate to whichever century he is in.

Start watching “Kim Soo Ro”:

Watch Now

Cha Ji Hun in “Protect the Boss” (2011)

Protect-the-Boss2.png

Ji Sung’s turn as Cha Ji Hun in “Protect the Boss” is one that really put his great comedic skills on display — a facet of him we rarely see in his earlier projects. This character is definitely one of Ji Sung’s less suave ones. Cha Ji Hun, while being an arrogant chaebol, is actually more earnest and harmless than the typical jerkchaebol. He’s unambitious, has social anxiety issues, and is somewhat of a child at heart (read: immature).

protect-the-boss-gif.gif

“Protect the Boss” is a workplace rom-com, with an emphasis on the “com.” The comedy hits from all sides, ranging from parodies to slapstick humor, and Ji Sung is up for all of it, no matter how absurd he may look. (And he does. That hairstyle!

Ugggh!) And yet through all the broad humor, Ji Sung still imbues Cha Ji Hun with enough heart and earnestness that viewers can’t help but naturally cheer this endearing goofball on.

Start watching “Protect the Boss”:

Watch Now

Jo Min Hyuk in “Secret Love” (2013)

Secret2.jpg

Jo Min Hyuk in “Secret Love” starts off as the stereotypical chaebol that we often saw in K-dramaland before we started getting nice guy chaebols. He’s an arrogant, condescending, and hard-partying playboy who is just generally an atrocious human being.

Though it’s not long before we find out that he unraveled into this horrifying human being because of a tragedy that happened a while back.

Secret-Ji-Sung-gif.gif

Is this an early depiction of the Yona pout?

Even though Jo Min Hyuk is all kinds of wrong in the early episodes, Ji Sung’s delivery allows the viewers to see where he is coming from. We might not be able to empathize with him, but we can at least sympathize that this emotionally damaged character is a victim himself too. Ji Sung usually plays the endearing hero in dramas, so this dark, tortured turn as Jo Min Hyuk is certainly out of the norm for him, and yet he easily proves that he can pull off these type of roles.

Start watching “Secret Love”:

Watch Now

Cha Do Hyun, Shin Se Gi et al. in “Kill Me Heal Me” (2015)

Shin-Se-Gi.png

When reading the description for this drama, I was absolutely rolling my eyes. This was around the same time “Hyde Jekyll, Me” was announced and both featured male leads with Dissociative Identity Disorder. I still clearly remember my thoughts at the time: “Seven identities? C’mon! Are they trying to compete by churning out more identities? That’s just ridiculous!” And boy was I wrong.

yona-gif.gif

How did this admittedly implausible premise turn into such a big hit? Two words. Ji. Sung. While it’s true that the drama has many things going for it — the strong chemistry between the three main leads and an intriguing storyline — if Ji Sung hadn’t been able to own all his characters, it could have potentially been a mess.

Ji Sung imbues each identity with so much vibrancy and distinctiveness — Cha Do Hyun’s mild-mannered personality, Shin Se Gi’s toughness, Perry Park’s flamboyance; Ahn Yona’s coquettishness, and so on — each identity feels like it could be a fully fleshed-out character in and of its own. So when each of these identities started disappearing in the drama, I was ugly sobbing right along, as if we were saying goodbye to dear friends we had known for a long time. And that is the power of Ji Sung’s versatility. That, and making Shin Se Gi so damn sexy. *Swoons*

Start watching “Kill Me Heal Me”:

Watch Now

Park Jung Woo in “Defendant” (2017)

Defendant.jpg

For “Defendant” Ji Sung dons the character of Park Jung Woo, a prosecutor who finds himself in jail and on death row, but is unable to remember how or why. Later, he realizes that he’s been imprisoned for murdering his wife and young daughter but refuses to believe that he could commit such a heinous act. This conviction prompts Jung Woo to search for answers and embark on a journey of revenge and survival.

Defendant-gif.gif

Park Jung Woo goes through many stages of character progression in this drama, and with them, a roller-coaster of emotions.

He goes from an amnesiac who’s haunted by fleeting images of blood and death, to an inmate who’s fighting to stay sane and alive, to a loving father who’s determined to protect his daughter, and finally a prosecutor who dons his gown once again and returns to his former glory.

Ji Sung brings such emotional depth to each of these facets of Park Jung Woo, and the pain and suffering he experiences along the way are palpable. Each episode, Ji Sung goes toe-to-toe with the just-as-amazing Uhm Ki Joon and both actors fire on all cylinders, drawing us further and further into this great thriller of a drama.

Start watching “Defendant”:

Watch Now

Cha Joo Hyuk in “Familiar Wife” (2018)

Familiar-Wife2.jpg

This time around, Ji Sung forsakes the more dramatic roles for a more down-to-earth one — a husband in a failing marriage.

“Familiar Wife” is a story of Cha Joo Hyuk and his two wives. Yes, you read that right, though it’s not quite what you think. There is a supernatural twist on this story, as Cha Joo Hyuk manages to find a way to go back in time and chooses his first love instead of his current wife, Seo Woo Jin (Han Ji Min). And as he travels between these two different timelines, we see Cha Joo Hyuk alternating between a frazzled husband who has had enough of his overbearing wife, and of a man who is flourishing because he is hopeful for love once again — and Ji Sung delivers on both ends!

familiar-wife-ji-sung-gif.gif

While this character isn’t as flashily written as Jo Min Hyuk, Cha Do Hyun (x7), or Park Jung Woo, Ji Sung’s natural charisma and abounding talent gives Cha Joo Hyuk the groundedness it needs — especially amongst the supernatural elements — and weaves a heartfelt story rooted in love and second chances.

Start watching “Familiar Wife”:

Watch Now

Cha Yo Han “Doctor John” (2019)

Doctor-John2.jpg

Ji Sung’s latest (and currently-airing) drama “Doctor John” brings him back into the medical world 11 years after his first foray in “New Heart” in 2007 (and back to prison after two years). Cha Yo Han is a talented anesthesiologist who has his patient’s best interests at heart, even if those interests are at times against the law. This is ultimately what lands him in jail, as Cha Yo Han illegally euthanized one of his patients who had been painfully suffering and without an end in sight.

Doctor-John-Ji-Sung-gif-3.gif

While this drama is only a few episodes in, we have already witnessed Cha Yo Han’s brilliance in diagnosing, and determination in providing the correct treatment despite his colleagues’ doubts. When discussing sensitive topics such as euthanasia, Cha Yo Han is able to resolutely vocalize his stance as well as give the reasons behind his choices.

Ji Sung delivers the gravitas and depth when talking about these matters and this encourages the viewers to consider Cha Yo Han’s arguments too. And while I had initially said I hoped the relationship between Cha Yo Han and Kang Si Young (Lee Se Young) would remain mentor-mentee, now, after a few more episodes, I am so conflicted! The way Cha Yo Han looks at Kang Si Young is swoon-inducing, and… well, darn you Ji Sung and your electrifying gazes!

Start watching “Doctor John”:

Watch Now

Are you an enthusiastic Ji Sung fan too? How many of his works have you watched?

Spoiler

• Awesome 1