Questions for piano players

Guest infinityyy

Guest snooxkie

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to?

i started playing around five or six. My dad's a pianist, so he wanted to teach me. But I gave it up around three years later because he was soo strict :tears:

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes?

My dad and myself. He taught me when I was little before I gave up on it. However, I came to like it again after watching this chinese drama, and taught myself.

Three: When first starting out to play, what did you find most difficult?

I DON'T REMEMBER!! I WAS SO YOUNG BACK THEN! but when I started playing it again a couple years ago, I had to teach myself everything over again. i was also a violinist, so reading the notes wasn't a problem.. but it took me awhile to read the alto clef notes.

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them?

Yes, i can read the notes. But that's only because I already memorized them through playing the violin. I still have trouble identifying notes on the alto clef though. i would always have to count my notes up and down to figure it out. :lol: what's the best way to fluently read them? hmm.. make flash cards?;)

Five: How many songs can you play and what's your favorite?

whenever i hear something i like, whether from a movie, drama, anime, anything.. i learn and play it. My favorite one is Marriage D'amour. the one i heard in a chinese drama that brought me back to the piano

Six: What's your advice to beginning piano players?

if you don't find joy in playing it, then don't play it all it.

It's easier to learn the piano when you have inspiration. Without it, its very difficult to force yourself to continue playing. Learn and memorize the notes. it makes playing soo much easier.

HOW COOL! I OWN A PAGE! YAY~ :lol:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inocupcake

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to?

When I was 6. I wanted to learn to play after hearing and watching people play.

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes?

I took lessons from many teachers. (As I moved..) It was about... 100? (We got a discount because my brother learned from her also.)

Remembering what note was which key was the hardest.

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them?

Yes I can read them. I'm not sure how long it took me. The best way varies..

I don't 'count' how many songs I can play. I don't have a favorite.

If you're going to give up then don't start at all.

Guest cpx3s0ul

I started playing when i was around six. my parents forced me to but as i grew up, my love for the piano grew as well.

I learned from a total of four piano teachers; i am taking classes currently for my arct lessons.

it cost from $28 (at the beginning) till $44, now.

Practicing. i find practicing soo hard ... finding the time for it, and just sitting there playing the same thing over and over again.

lol since i am a pianist, of course i can read piano notes. my teachers always told me that reading can help sight-reading, and i guess that's the fastest way improve. speedreading.

oh gosh. i can't remember. currently for my exam i am learning 5. my favourite would be... third movement from beethoven's moonlight sonata.

don't force yourself. if you don't like it, you won't get better. approach piano with a relaxed feeling, don't feel like it's a chore you have to do. lol i am so ironic.

Guest i ♡ jamkooruhgi`

i was 3 1/2 when i first learned to play in korea, i was inspired by my aunt, and i was the one that made the decision to play the piano. i just loved how great the melody sound when my aunt was playing. she's a pianist

i was taught by a teacher in korea. i do not remember how much it cost.. but right now im taking classes and its 30 dollars an hr.

-o- reading the notes.

yes i can read the notes. it took me a while. the best way to fluently read them is to actually know what the line and all the symbols mean.

i can not name how many but i know how to play alot. my favorite is canon d or my heart will go on.

it may be frustrating as you go, and will want to quit so many time.. but once yu know how to read the note and play you will love the melody of the piano :]

Guest captainEDEN.

i played cause i was interested (but then again i was 4...anything is interessting) from the on, it was definantly forced~! but korean movies make it inspiring sometimes

my mom first taught me how to play :) but then i took classes. $6 a week? :P

reading the bass cleft~! i still find it verry hard O.O

anything.. i play by ear :) my favorite? "The Classic" soundtrack. (main theme

it WILL become frustrating, but you wont regret it in the end~! a great way to express your feelings. lovely insturment!

Guest Sekshi__Mihye*

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to? I started in 5th grade by choice.

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes? my teacher. it cost over 200 a month.

Three: When first starting out to play, what did you find most difficult? probably the fingering.

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them? yea i can read them. i actually caught on really quick. i started playing songs on my first day of piano lessons. i think the best way to read them fluently is to just keep practicing && idk..just memorize them x)

Five: How many songs can you play and what's your favorite? i can play a lott. my favorite is kiss the rain by yiruma, maiden's pray (?) && nocturne.

Six: What's your advice to beginning piano players? if your teacher makes you play boring songs, make sure to practice them even if you dont like them. it'll pay off.

Guest starcaption

I started when I was.. 7/8. I wanted to play, I thought it was really cool when I saw other ppl play it as well.

My provate teacher, Cindy.. it started out at.. 20 dollars for half hour? Right now, it's like 76 dollars maybe because I'm a higher grade.

Honestly, I can't remeber that far. Anything past Grade 6 elementary I can hardly remeber =/

I was pretty good in music ( I'm good at the arts in general). Just start at middle C, and work your way through the alphabet til G lol

I can play a lot, since I've been learning for a decade. i don't really have a favourite though. I really like BoA's Neul.. I don't play a lot of songs from modern artists cause I don't know where to get good sheet music.

practice pratice practice..I was reaaaaalyllly good when I started out but then starting from Grade7 I started slacking off =( So I'm trying to work my way back up to the point where i can practice fro as long as it takes to perfect the piece..

Choose something you like the sound of. If you don't like the song, you won't want to practice and play it.

You don't have to start now, but practice your fingers. Like studies and finger excercises, because trust me. They'll help a lot in the future when attempting fast/difficult songs.

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to? I was 3 and I was forced to play

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes? My Grandma

Three: When first starting out to play, what did you find most difficult? Remembering the Keys

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them? Not very well. I was taught to play by ear and not by reading

Five: How many songs can you play and what's your favorite? 20 and my favorite is Best of My Love by the Eagles

Six: What's your advice to beginning piano players? Be paitent and Practice alot even if you don't really want to. Learn the keys and the notes before trying to play a song. Have fun and don't feel bad if you take your anger out on the piano.

Guest babiesy

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to? i started playing when i was 4. it was kinda both; i wanted to play because of my older sister, yet at the same time i didnt really have a choice - my parents signed me up for lessons anyways

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes? umm, my piano teacher. lol im not sure how much it cost

Three: When first starting out to play, what did you find most difficult? well.. i started really young, so i guess it was easier to learn and get used to it. but the hardest thing for me through my piano years was sightreading a new piece of music for a piano exam; because i had to read a hard piece of music that required me to play with both hands simutaneously ><

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them? yes; it didnt take me very long. and the best way is just to memorize where notes are instead of counting up or down to see which note it is

Five: How many songs can you play and what's your favorite? many and many. lol

Six: What's your advice to beginning piano players? practice practice practice! and never give up

I was 10. Well, I started violin when I was 8 and saw how much easier the piano kids got it...beginner piano definitely sounds better than violin. So I took up piano because I really, really wanted to be able to play some real songs. At least that's how I felt back then ^^;

I switched between 3 teachers before I finished my ARCT. When I began, it was about $25CDN for half an hour...then got to $65 for an hour by the time I got to grade 10.

Lifting my ring finger on my right hand lolz I can do it perfectly fine with my left...but to this day my right ring finger stills feels stressed. I never really had trouble with ear tests since the violin required me to tune myself :sweatingbullets:

I could read notes before I took up piano because of violin. The difference was that in piano there's bass and treble opposed to only treble in violin. It's not really hard to identify notes...it's like learning the alphabet excepte there's only 8 characters. The only advice I can give is, like learning to spell, you have just have to practice and sight read a lot.

When you finish all your piano exams...you begin to find you're on the piano a lot more then when you were required to practice lolz So yeah, many songs ^^ My favorite of all time is Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee. I know it's kinda cliche but when I saw this piano movie called 1900, I totally fell in love with it. Plus it's fun to play, if a bit tiring.

Practice, practice, practice. There's no such thing as talent, it's all practice. It's not really how long you practice, but how serious you are about it. To bypass places you made mistakes at, practice them. And always come home a play for an hour right away after lessons. A lot of teachers tell students to practice one hand at a time, but to me I think it's a mistake. Yes, you learn the technique really well for the hand...but when you add the other hand in, you just have to learn it all over again.

:sweatingbullets: Now why would you wanna do that?

Guest sodapopkiss

I started playing when I was five years old. My mother is an amazing pianist, and she pushed me to it, but all in all I wanted to start myself anyways because I wanted to be able to play like her.

My mother started to teach me, but that lasted for a couple hours. Then I got another piano teacher, he was a bum, so after I had a say in who taught me, I switched to this really nice girl who teaches our neighborhood. It costs 25$ CDN a lesson (for half an hour)? Maybe?

I still find it difficult to read notes in the base cleff staffs. I have to count... ^^;; But when it comes to playing, the order of the notes just stay in my head because I've memorized them.

I can read piano notes. Not as well as some people, I'm sure, but I can read them just fine. I find that I don't really use them when I play, that I play mostly by sound and by memory, which probably isn't that good. Find a way for you to memorize the notes on the staff quickly. eg: every good boy deserves fudge and FACE for the treble clef staff.

I can play a lot of songs, but most of them aren't from memory. I play my favourite songs every once in a while so I remember how, and that way when someone asks me to play I have something ready right away.

Practice, practice, practice, practice. And get involved with the music. Use your whole body when you play like you're living with the music. It makes things so much easier to do, and you're not sitting upright and straight and tight like you're being forced to play.

Guest lusay

-around 4th or 5th grade, i was forced but i also wanted to sorta play it but i regret it ><

-the church pastor's wife and piano teacher after school thing .. it was 10$ for each 30min session with the pastor's wife and 45$ a month with the piano teacher

-keeping my hands curved [i still dun even do it]

-yeah. idk... use the FACE and EGBD (?) thing idk?

-ummm a lot.. i dun rlly have a favourite

-only do it if you really want it and that you'll stick with it for a long time. i'm not even joking. think about it for like a month b4 i plan on starting piano lessons. for most parents, they will want you to stick it for a long time...especially if they bought you a piano just for those lessons.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xlemonhedsx

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to? i started piano when i was 5. i started to play because my mom wanted me to play so she bought a piano. it was fun and then it became a routine

my piano teacher taught me how to play. in the beginning, it cost about $30 because i only had a 30 min lesson. then it became long so $40. THEN after i changed my teacher, she came to my house so the price raised to $50 but she's a great teacher so the price isnt considered expensive at all.

Three: When first starting out to play, what did you find most difficult? i think the time signature. ierno actually.

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them? yes, i can read the notes. it didn't take that long cus it was easy and i don't know what the best way to fluently read them. just practice i suppose

er...a lot? i think my favorite piece is fantasie impromptu by chopin but it's hard to play :sweatingbullets:

i still didn't finish "learning" the whole piece because i became so lazy after i finished the piano test crap.

Six: What's your advice to beginning piano players? practice and work hard. it will benefit you in the future because you can whip out your piano skills anytime there's a piano or a keyboard

Guest kami☆

One: 5 years old. my parents wanted me to, and after i move to the US i couldn't really speak english or korean well so i just play piano haha

Two: Private teachers, idk ;o

Three: staying awake. doing the hw

Four: yes can read. it takes as much as you practice. if you sightread and such new music, you can get use to playing whatever you see at least roughly. I want perfect pitch like my brother so i can listen to music and play. but i dont have that :P

Five: I play whatever, lately im in praise band so i play lots of praise music... i love playing beethoven, vivaldi, and ANY finalfantasy song o_o

Six: it gets fun after you start to be pretty comfortable with the piano, so dont throw it away :) the best ways to play is what feels right, so try to feel the music, if you dont know how a song should go.. then thats a problem :)

Guest the Human Hosepipe

Nine. My parents wanted to and I just nodded. :P

The old pastor of my church who was a doctor in music. I think it was $60 per month?

Trying to play smoothly, lol.

Now it's kinda hard since I haven't played in a while. Use flash cards to try and memorize.

A lot. D: Idk what's my favorite.

Practice like heck if you want to learn and get far? :sweatingbullets:

Guest c a t h e r s

i started playing when i was really small.....in canada we had an organ and i would just play things that sounded pretty and i kinda taught myself. then when i moved to the US i wanted to play by myself and started in fourth grade. i think one of the ppl that inspired me was definitly my ex-bff

my first teacher taught me the notes...proper fingering. i think it was like........45 a month? now i take a lesson from new teacher once every other week for 30 each lesson

seriously....nothing was difficult at all (maybe thats why i skipped levels XD )

yup. they're super easy for me since i also play the flute. the best way...is to recognize the note like B in the middle of the staff....then i just kinda remembered like "oh well d is 2 notes aboce that..another line" if that makes sense -_-

too many to count ^^" my favorite...OH YEAH. moonlight sonata 3rd movement. it was the ONE song that i was like "if i could play this i would be happy FOREVER" and now i cannn!!!!!! thanks to my lovely teacher =] (and my hard work haha)

dont give upp. keep practicing little portions of songs and then move on. then you will be able to play it all smoothly =]

Guest infinityyy

weeeee~ Thanks for all the replies! Summer school is out, and I got an 'A' for my piano project! :D

Thank youuuu bunchess everyone~!! I would still love to read replies/opinions :)

Nine. My parents wanted to and I just nodded.

LMAO! Some of you guys' replies are so0 funny! :P

Guest milk tea!

I'm not sure :unsure: 6-8? I was sorta forced lol, first saw my sister and I sorta played and then my parents made me do it for awhile. I quit a couple years ago but I go back during the summer to play a little.

Classes, around 30 bucks an hour.

Mm, I don't remember but right now and back then it was hard for me to reach some keys u_________u

Umm dunno, I forgot most of them and recently learned again. I just sit there and memorize a couple and figure the rest from the keys I know.

Best way to read them? Memorize o_oa

I can play a couple with my eyes closed..I like Fur Elise

Practice and play songs with a passion

In Feb last year(2005). I wanted to play by myself because my friend looked really skilled at it/I refused to believe I couldn't play like her/I wanted a challenge/I was bored.
My piano teacher who's korean(the one who thought I stole her pencil on my first day learning from her). Her name's Christine but in the first three months I learned from her, I didn't know her name so I refrained from calling her 'teacher'. It cost 21$ for half an hour (at Tom Lee's) Rip off, I know.
I started read treble cleft on flute music before so what was hard for me was reading the bass cleft along with treble.
Yeah I can read them. I kind of already knew what notes were what already. I suggest you practice scales and just practice sight-reading.
Lol, I don't count. My fav song right now is River Flows In You by Yiruma(go and download this song>_O) I also play Only Hope by Mandy Moore(A Walk To Remember OST)
OMG, PRACTICE. Haha, if you want to get good on technique really fast, I recommend you buying the Hanon excercise book for piano technique. The stuff in there aren't super complicated, but they work out your finger strength so that's good! Also after you practice so much your hands start to twitch and shape itself like a chicken claw because it's so worked, that's a good sign. Practice CONSISTANTLY or else you'll crash and burn after not practicing for a long/short period of time (even just a week break).

-- Thao

Guest kdclk313

i started playing 9 years ago when i was seven or so. i think i was forced to, but now i love piano sooo much- i'm glad i was forced to play. now i am inspired by so many pianists.

i was taught by many different private teachers. um...classes were probably like twenty bucks a visit? dunno my parents paid.

i don't remember anything difficult in the very very beginning- but later i think remembering key signatures and combining hands was tough.

yeap. i dunno how long it took...weird question...you just keep memorizing as you keep practicing. PRACTICE

do you mean memorized? um...like fifty. Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 7- whew it's tough but it's so fun

stick with it!!! no matter how much you want to quit, you should stick with it because you will regret quitting later in life. guaranteed! i had a break from piano for a couple of years i really regret it.

Archived