Questions for piano players

Guest infinityyy

Guest d0rkky.meili

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to?

I first started playing the piano around the age of 9, somewehre in 3rd grade. Hmm ... I guess I wanted to play, I wanted to learn how to play the piano, whelp at the age of 9, I wanted to do many things haha, the piano being one of them.

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes?

First I learned from Mars Company, a music store, a really big music store lol, but then I got away from that since I pretty much didn't like the group learning, since some people were at one level and I was at another, and I think for that .. I don't really remember how much it cost, with it being so long ago and all. After that my mom & dad found another teacher for me to learn from, and I'm still learning now. Before she used to do $10 a week, 30 min for the sessions, and I usually only go 1 day a week. Now she raised the price up to $15 dollars for 30 min for the day.

Three: When first starting out to play, what did you find most difficult?

When I first started playing ... I really didn't find anything all that difficult, I pretty much passed all my songs with ease. I'm a fast learner so all the songs I learned for like maybe the first 3 years were easy, then when I got through the harder stuff that's when I found it more difficult.

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them?

Been playing for about 5 years, if I couldn't read the piano notes, that would be a waste of money for my parents. lol My mother knew a little bit about notes so she taught me when we were at home and stuff, and when I was learning it really wasn't that hard. I'd use the little sentences that they made up for the notes. Though now I can't really remember most of 'em, reading notes is pretty easy for me. I've memorized most of the keys.

Five: How many songs can you play and what's your favorite?

I can play pretty much anything as long as you give me the notes, I'm not all that good at memorizing songs unless I really really enjoy the song. At the moment I'm learning how to play 'You Are The One' by DJ Sammy, the piano piece is really pretty. Even though 'Ice Box' by Omarion doesn't have any notes, I'm learning how to play it by ear, while listening to David Sides version of it on youtube. :] Those two songs at the moment are my favorite, and then when I make up some of my own songs on the piano.

Six: What's your advice to beginning piano players?

Practice, practice, PRACTICE. Really it makes a whole lot of difference. If you find that reading notes is hard, then work on that. If you're more the type to learn by ear, then scratch that out and learn how to read notes. lol. It'll be really hard if you rely on your ear rather than learning to read notes. It's not all that hard, just sit down and memorize where the keys are and you'll be set. If you're stuck on a song or how it goes, just keep practicing. I'll play for hours, or even days until I feel the song is actually perfect, and really even then the song isn't really perfect. Just make sure you put all your feeling into playing the song, the song doesn't sound good unless you the person enjoy playing it. That's basically it for meh.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hipopdancer

One: When did you first start playing the piano? Were you forced to or did you really want to learn how to play/someone or something inspired you to?

i started when i was 5. my uncle nspired me and my my other 2 cousins bcuz he was a musician and he was in a band.

Two: Who taught you how to play? If you took classes, how much did it cost for the classes?

my uncle couldnt teach me, so i had to teach myself using observing skills and then later on using books

putting 'feelings' into playing the song.

Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you indentify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them?

yes, best way is study, study, and study! >.< lol. i then try to read the note without having to write the letters underneath them. ^^;

i can play a lot now. from fast to slow. my favorite piece to play is BoA's Jewel Song and TVXQ's Magic Castle and Alicia Key's If I Ain't got you. ^^

Practice! It's the only way. Practice does make perfect. I practice 3 hours a day and it's worth it. but dont push yourself too much ^^ try challenging yourselves too.

Guest brosentgal

Hii!! I'm doing this survery/interview/question thingy for you piano players or even if you're beginning!! :D I need this for a summer school project I'm doing. :)

Here we go! :)

---------

a.) I started to play the piano when I was about 7 yrs. old. I wanted to learn because when I was a little girl I always had a huge dream and aspiration in being becoming a singer. I guess I just sort of inspired myself.

b.)I actually had a voice teacher who taught me to play (not a good idea). I did take classes and to tell you the truth I don't remember how much it cost me because it was so long ago, now I just teach myself.

c.)The most difficult part for me was to keep my hands rounded. You know not flat on the keyboard but to pretend that I was holding an egg. That was hard for me.

d.)I can read piano notes really well. It actually didn't take me long to read the notes at all, and the best way to fluently read them is just practice. Do a lot of music theory and have your mom or someone in your family even a friend quiz you.

e.)I can play an infinite amount of songs. My favorite is "Feather Theme" from Forrest Gump. ha ha ha..yes I know a total loser am i!!

f.)My advice for beginners is, you need to identify what you are going to go through. Piano is not an easy instrument to learn. I have shed many tears over the instrument. But the results are rewarding. Just practice and always try to think of how much better you will be once you learn the basics.

----------

Thank you for those who participate in answering these questions!! :D

Guest J-Free

-i started playing 8 years ago. I randomly fell upon classical piano songs and just loved it. the melodies were so beautiful.

i took piano classes for $25 per class, once a week, four classes a month.

posture

i think my first year was the hardest of all. it took me awhile to really recognize the notes and stuff.

many many. my favorite would probably have to be "right here waiting" by richard marx

choose the songs you would like to learn, and push at it. practice and classes can be dull, but if you want to be good, you'll need to persevere and work work work! always practice. practice your music theory and posture.

Guest kpxmerong

when i was... 5 years old. my mom made me do it... she said it helps you on studying

i dont actually know... but i had Ben Loeb. his like a professional... it was like... $400 each month i think

reaching the notes. since my fingers were small... i got frustrated. their still are

yep ^.^ uh... about... 5-7 years. thats how long i played. i cant read them quickly but im at a good level right now. my teacher tested me on how fast i could read them each week. guess thats how i got better?

i played alot so i dont remember. my favorite is the happy farmer ^.^

practice ^.^ no matter how annoying it is... practice. i hate practicing anyways but i still have to do it... T^T

Guest miyavidoll

I started playing when I was 9 but then I stopped after a year or so because I got bored/annoyed of it. At first I liked it a lot, but then my mom made me play for half an hour everyday, and it seemed so long to me, since I was young back then. I started to ask my mom if I can go to lessons again when I heard my friend played River Flows In You by Yiruma and then I was interested in playing again.

My piano teacher taught me. But there were times before I went back to lesson, I taught myself. Lessons cost $36/per hour, levels 5 and higher.

I found everything difficult. My teacher was mean to me, so I wasn't that interested, it was hard to count, dynamics, and play because my keyboard has very light keys and the piano at piano lessons has very heavy keys.

Yes, not very fluently though. I didn't really practice this but I think the best way is to practice as much as possible. Practice always makes perfect.

I've played lots of songs. As of now, I don't really know but I really liked Impromptu in F minor because it was 12 pages and I had to play it for a recital, I kind of messed up in the middle because I forgot and I was too nervous but then it was fine at the end. It brings back lots of memories when I try to play it again now. I also like The Swan, it's a very nice ballerina song.

Practice and practice hard. Don't bang on the keys or give up when something is difficult. Practice always make perfect. If you don't give up now, you're never regreat. Thank god, I didn't give up. And you're never too old to learn so go for it!

Guest évasion

5 or 6. I was playing the violin before but I never practiced so I quit, I still wanted to play something and a lot of my relatives were playing piano

so I asked my mom if I could take lessons. I was kind of forced to go after when I really didn't like it.

It's like a piano, instrumental school and there's different teachers. At the place I get a special discount so it'sw about $120 for about 2 weeks, 45 minute lesson.

Reading the notes. Each time I went to a lesson I had to memorize the keys and the melody, so I didn't really learn how to read the notes well.

I can now, because of musical lessons at school, but when I was younger I had difficulties, but in piano I still memorize the whole song.

the best way? to me it's like the multiplication table, you just have to memorize.

N/A?

Listen to every word your teacher said. Cause I didn't. :sweatingbullets:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest soyabeangirl16

im not sure if u still need it, but here:

1: When I was about 5. I was forced to, but eventually liked it.

2: I took classes, but I have no idea how much they were.

3: I found reading the notes the most difficult.

4: Yes, I can read notes. I don't think it took very long, maybe a couple months (I was young) and the best way to read them is pick a few note and concentrate on what they are (as in letters) and then figure out the relationship of the other notes to them.

5: I can play about 10 songs (I've forgotten most fo them,) and my favourite is beautiful disaster (live) by kelly clarkson.

6: I would say you really should practice reading notes, and find some songs you'll like and have fun learning.

Guest DarkWaltz

I started kinda late, at 12 years old. My parents suggested the idea, so I went along with it and started loving it.

I've had many teachers in the past, but my current one is the best. Costs are about 30$ per hour.

From jumping to beginner's level to advanced, haha. I went from little keyboard pieces straight to Chopin's nocturnes, then straight to Chopin's fantaisie-impromptu. It was hard at the beginning but I eventually made it through.

Of course, and for how long, about a few days? lol

The best way to fluently read them is to sight read often, there's no secret there.

In total, I've played mostly classical, about 40 songs, I think. FavoriteS are chopin's ballads, chopin's scherzos and Liszt's la campanella (that I'm actually performing next week, and I should be practicing them now instead of lurking here)

Use your brain when you practice and look far ahead. And feel the music.

Guest benjaminlibl

One: When I was about 6/7. I didn't really want to, but I went along with it, cause my parents wanted me to.

Two: I think I've had 6-7 different piano teachers already. Cost about... 20 USD per 45 minutes.

Three: I think trying to put expression in it is kind of hard.

Four: Yes, but not really well.

Five: Classical songs, not many. But if you want me to play pop songs, I can play anything you want, by ear.

Six: Work hard everyday and make sure you keep your fingers curved.

I started at like 8... I played violin before that but then I quit cos it got boring.. and my mum suggested piano.. and I also found it somewhat amusing at that time too lol

I've had the same piano teacher for like 7 years now. I have my lessons at a music school. They get more expensive each term >_< It's like £15 for half an hour now

I don't really remember.. it's not really that difficult.. but sometimes learning hard songs can be I guess..

I've been playing for like 7 years now.. I'd be a bit worried if I couldn't read piano notes haha xP I don't remember how long it took me to identify them though.. I got taught some rhymes to learn all the notes

I can play quite a few.. Songs I learn in the past I tend to forget though >_< And I mainly play like.. classical songs because my piano teacher picks them and the ones I do for grades are all classical.. but in my spare time I learn ones I like. I'm learning Only Human by K right now =) I also know Tong Hua by Guang Liang and Yiruma's Kiss The Rain. Kiss the Rain is probs my favourite to play ^^

Just practice and practice really. Practice makes perfect =)

Guest infinityyy

Omgoodness, the prices some of you pay for your piano classes :wacko:

Lmao, but anyway, it's great seeing people still reply in here ^___^

Reading everyone's replies is interesting and still helpful :) --And WOW, many soompiers play piano! :lol:

Thanks! <33

Guest chemical9

- I started playing when I was really young, but I've never really had lessons until late last year. I've always wanted to play it.

- It cost about $50-ish for half an hour for beginners and the prices slowly increased as we improved.

- Recognising the notes, I guess.

- Yes, i can. The best way is to keep practicing.

- I don't know how many I can play. But My favourite is magic Castle by TVXQ ^^

- I'm kinda a beginner as well, considering I only started lessons recently. But anyway, my advice is, DON'T BE IMPATIENT. Keep practicing easy songs first. As you get better, you'll realise that its much easier to play difficult songs like that. And I don't recommend self-teaching. Its better to at least attend lessons for about 1 or 2 months. Learn the basics. If not you'll start having a lot of bad habits as you go on. :]

Guest x`aNNiie.

-I started around wen i was 5 to 6 years old btw i jst turned 14:P, i did it at a bad place for the feel of it then my mum said"do you like piano i give you a choice, ok good you study piano." ok it wasnt a choice coz i never got to answer lol

- It was so many years ago i dnt remember but i kno it cost me 70 aus bucks an hour these days.

- figuring what notes were which and keeping the bubble under the hand

- Yes, i can. i learnt that when i was 5. it took me 3 lessons

- I don't know how many I can play. im playing 7 pieces for my exam but im in 7th grade AMEB piano so i suppose i can sight read other pieces below 7th? O.O

- depending what level you are, you should always go back and fix what you did wrong when the teacher tells you to and practice that section over and over until you'v mastered it or else it wold never be fixed. umm..learn to SIGHTREAD. some of my friends cant and at higher levels and standards not being able to sight read is a big disadvantage. also hav aural skills+ memorising skills coz if you wana win, memorised pieces would gain some extra points

Seven: What do u hate most bout piano

THE STRESS OH THE STREESSSSS

sry had to put that in :P

I was...7? So 5 years ago~ I was forced T-T...by as years passed by, i slowy began to like it ^^

Classes...but i dunno how much - -

Memorizing where the do was or the flat looked like etc. I have bad memorizing skillz T__T

Yes~ Best way for ME is to count from so if it is higher or from do if it is lower from the ordinary hands thingy...0.o I use to use flash cards ^^

Many..Flowe Waltz or something like that from The Nutcracker is my favorite...I forgot how to play it though

Practise. Practise. Practise.

Cause Practise makes perfect...which really never happened in my life -_-"

Guest Chrissy08

I started playing when I was in first grade. I had to choose between ballet and piano for financial reasons, and so I gave up on ballet, cuz I was inspired by my older cousins who were playing piano and taking dance classes, but my ballet teacher was evil. haha

I learned from several piano teachers, and when I started (long time ago), it was only roughly $20/hour, I think. It got more expensive as time went by and my last piano teacher charged about $45/hour (I'm guessing). I got lucky with the prices and the quality of the teachers. ^^;;

The smell of cats. My first piano teacher had so many cats at her house and they always jumped on the piano while I was playing. lol. Otherwise, I've always found sight-reading pretty difficult. :)

Yes. It didn't take me too long. I think the best way is to take apart the piece, one hand at a time. And then once you've mastered each hand separately, put them together. Try to hear the music ahead of time, before you play it, so you'll know if you hit the wrong note just by the sound of it. Read ahead of what you're playing, I guess.

I can play a lot of songs if I practice (some by ear, some need sheet music). I haven't played in a few years but I took lessons for roughly 10. My favorite pieces are the contemporary classical pieces by Yuhki Kuramoto. Otherwise, my favorite classical composer is Bach.

The deadly 'P' word: PRACTICE. Practice it this way and that way, slower to faster to tempo. It's all right if you break down the piece into parts, like separating the hands at first, playing it slower than you're supposed to. Then you start polishing it up, like editing a written work. Start putting all the pieces together and adding the emotion and whatever else might have been missing. But there's no better way to get better at piano or any instrument than practicing. If you keep practicing the same song, the song will be automatically memorized, kinda to finger-memory. If not, you can just take apart the pieces into segments and play them over and over again til they're memorized and put the pieces together as you're going along (kinda like 'suicide' in sports training). :)

Guest Vivskies

Started when I was 5/6. I remember I saw this really nice white grand piano, and I thought it was awesomest thing alive.

Lmao. I feel so bad for my parents. We got a teacher, and she charged 50 bucks per lesson

Learning the notes

:o Yes. I can't remember how long, but yeah

Too much. But I really liked playing "Clair De Lune" by Debussy. It sounded so pretty and sad.

Never give up. I remember there were times when I really wanted to smash my piano to tiny bits because I was so frustrated and pissed. But I held through, and well, hard work and perseverance pays.

• 6 years later...
Guest rookiecookie

I started around 4, because mum made me. Now somedays I play and I really enjoy, but somedays I force myself to.

The hand positions and dynamics
Four: Can you read piano notes? How long did it take you identify the notes & what's the best way to fluently read them?
I could sight read since a few weeks after I started, but not very good sightreading

I dont have a favourite song but I love pieces from the Romantic era
Dont force yourself and dont play robotically. People hate that. Even if you just sway to the music, people will know that you actually play, not like those children who are pushed by their parents.

Archived