[Drama 2012 ] Tasty Life 맛있는 인생

mekeo117

Guest prettybo

I feel guilty as I have been lurking around waiting for any news. Though I like the beginning like some of you now, I felt the first daughter's relationships (with sister in law & the husband) is just going around in circles with no clear destination. 
They are being given too much time (drama) whilst the other sisters have little exposure especially the youngest. She seemed to be only a filler.
The second sister's love life is more dynamic and entertaining as the parents of the boyfriend are comical.
It's difficult for me to really follow up without the English subs. I think its already behind b y 3 episodes (28-29-30)
Thank you in advance for whoever will sub these eps. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, too much exposure on that Seong Ju-In Cheol-Jae Hyeok-Sin Yeong characters.
  It started out entertaining as well for me until that quadrangle whatever it is happened.
I guess the subber is having a hard time translating as well bec. of her hate for Seong Ju, that mess of a girland that Sin Yeong that crazy sister-in-law.  So corny.  
And that Seong Ju has a monotone voice plus one note acting to boot!
Aaargggghhhh....

Guest Prettynoona

@baduy, thanks for that insightful fact. I 've been puzzle why this thread only has 3pages and 75 people. Thank you also for the spoiler alert. That sister inlaw is just so annoying, that I don't enjoy watching any scence she's in....

Guest prettybo

Actually I started watching this because I've seen the character "Sung Ju" in Family Honor and I kinda like it. However, her character here is pretty bland (maybe that's what the role calls for at the beginning). So I hope from here on she will grow a backbone and start standing up for herself, her baby and her husband and stop being a doormat for everyone to walk on.

I guess that's the problem if it's a 50 something episode drama- the writer tends to repeat themselves for viewers recall purposes- pluzzzzz we are not having alzheimers yet are we?

Guest prettybo

BTW,how can there be a pretty noona and a pretty bo in one drama? Hi to you same pretty as me. This must be a sign for me to follow this drama up religiously unless i wake up from my dream and realize i'm under hypnosis.

prisma said: Yeah, too much exposure on that Seong Ju-In Cheol-Jae Hyeok-Sin Yeong characters.
  It started out entertaining as well for me until that quadrangle whatever it is happened.
I guess the subber is having a hard time translating as well bec. of her hate for Seong Ju, that mess of a girland that Sin Yeong that crazy sister-in-law.  So corny.  
And that Seong Ju has a monotone voice plus one note acting to boot!
Aaargggghhhh....

Tried to watch today's episode, but it was so tedious that I fell asleep. At mid-day UK time, which shows how bad it was.  Still, if there was anything I slept through that's seriously puzzling anyone pending arrival of subs, I'd be willing to look at a raw and report back...

I really wish they'd reduce the story of the eldest sister.  So far, it's occupying half of the drama. Sigh.Her story is boring me to tears.  Booohooohooo.

Writer-nim, more focus on the other sisters' stories, please.  Esp. Jeong Eun's story. 
I reckon this series is not even makjang anymore. It's plain boring.  Boooohooohooo.
@mekeo117, I'll continue to translate this but it might take more time.  I'll try to finish it.  Afterall, I like Jeong Eun's story.  I am moonlighting at 'Shut up family' to break the boredom.  Plus, I want to start on Rascal Sons if ever it gets uploaded on Darksmurfsubs.

Guest Prettynoona

I can't believe this is wrter nim drama usually I have only hear good things about this writer. Hopefully , it wil get better,  I can only imagine baduy how boring it was. Skipping all parts with the sister law i it....  

Thanks for the translation prisma

It was always going to be difficult to keep four balls in the air, so one has to acknowledge the challenge  the writer took on by making the interlinked destinies of four such very different women the center of the drama. But I'm afraid if a juggler says, "sorry guys, but I think it's easier to just keep chucking one ball in the air over and over" then the audience will drift away to a more interesting entertainer. Or, if they're my age, nod off in broad daylight.

Guest prettybo

@baduy - hahaha yes that was pretty realistic. Truth is I can skip 3 episodes and not miss much all told, Well if one decides to be a juggler then she better practice the art and not shortchange the audience in mid act - now the ball is on even dropped on the ground. Hell no.

Actually, I empathize with the sister-in-law.
Imagine having your husband's ex-mistress as your sister-in-law?Yuck!!  Nightmare to the max!I can't fault her for acting deranged.But come on!!  This actress has poor acting skills.  All she does is glare at Seong Juand deliver her dialogues in a monotone.  (Sighs.)
Anyways, having said that.  Episode 29 was a bit better.JH and his Nuna had a bit of a confrontation.  It;s all out now.
Come on!  I hope the parents-in-law find out soon and kick Seong Ju out of the house.She totally deserves it, I reckon.  Deep inside me, I'm wishing she's carryingGang In Cheol's kid then live forever in oblivion.  Bwaahahahah.
(Don't mind me. I think the sister-in-law's character has rubbed off on me)
Wow, this drama is getting a lot of bashing. Lols.

Guest prettybo

@prisma
You know what I totally agree with you in bashing Song Ju. She was so repulsive when she acted so out of it when her nemesis arrived from the US and when being confronted by her father. I would have slapped her 10x if she were my daughter (sorry too emo). There is no excuse for being with a married man.
Just an after thought, her quick turn around surprised me. How could she have fallen so in love with her husband so fast when she married him only on the rebound? realizing how good he had been to her won't make her fall in love and out of love with her mentor for so many years. A bit unrealistic in that score. Just saying . . 

prettybo said: @prisma
You know what I totally agree with you in bashing Song Ju. She was so repulsive when she acted so out of it when her nemesis arrived from the US and when being confronted by her father. I would have slapped her 10x if she were my daughter (sorry too emo). There is no excuse for being with a married man.
Just an after thought, her quick turn around surprised me. How could she have fallen so in love with her husband so fast when she married him only on the rebound? realizing how good he had been to her won't make her fall in love and out of love with her mentor for so many years. A bit unrealistic in that score. Just saying . . 

I sampled some of the DSS subs, and there seem to be quite a few  places where they give a rather misleading impression of  Seung Ji's motivation in particular.

This is is emphaticallly not a criticism of prisma or any of the other subbers. They are following the Chinese accurately, as far as I can tell. But as quite often happens with c-subs, the Chinese subbers have misunderstood the Korean.

One place that struck me especially is in the scene in ep 17 around 56 mins in, where JH has found SJ drinking alone in a bar, after In Cheol has tried to get rid of her with the "Letter of ReccomAndation" (typical Krama on-screen English spelling) and a very large handout.

Her last words in that scene before JH draws her to him and holds her are, in the DSS subs,

736  00:55:53,643 --> 00:55:56,446
I can't even talk to anyone about this.

737  00:55:57,246 --> 00:56:00,750
I feel apologetic to you.

738  00:56:01,150 --> 00:56:04,053
So I didn't want to tell you.

739  00:56:04,654 --> 00:56:11,260
I like that man. No one else.

But the Chinese subs on which that's based are some way off target.
What she actually says, translated from the Korean soundtrack, is more like:

736  00:55:53,643 --> 00:55:56,446
There's no-one I can talk to about this,

737  00:55:57,246 --> 00:56:00,750
because everyone would think I've done wrong.

738  00:56:01,150 --> 00:56:04,053
But just what have I really done wrong?

739  00:56:04,654 --> 00:56:11,260
All I did was love that man. Nothing else.

This of course indicates a very different set of emotions. The reason she gives for not being able to talk to anyone is because they would all condemn her [다들 내가 잘못했다고 생각하니까] -- she no doubt has her father in mind here above all.  And far from saying that she feels apologetic to JH or anyone else, she questions whether she has done anything whatever that she should feel sorry about.[내가 뭘 그리 잘못한 건데?] Finally, she doesn't say she likes ICh and no-one else. She says that the only thing she's done is love him (implying that surely can't be wrong).[나, 그 사람 좋아했다는 거 그것밖에 없는데]  So her attitude is much more defiant and self-righteous (not to say self-pitying) than the subs make it appear.

[bTW her name in Hangeul is 승주, and under the romanization system DSS insists all subbers and editors use, that should indeed be Seung Ju. The romanization DSS subbers are obliged to use for this character,  Seong Ju, is actually a completely different  name, 성주 in Hangeul.  In fact, many people called both 승 and 성 choose to romanize the name as Sung, making the two indistinguishable in that romanized form, but they sound quite different to Korean-attuned ears.]

Archived