[Drama 2012/13] Horse Doctor 마의 馬醫 马医

Guest yeohweping

@ lostkid:  There's no child actress for the princess so I believe the little girl is KJN. 

I wonder why she has to disguise as a boy when she goes to medical school, is it because they don’t allow female to attend or she wants to hide her identity?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lostkid said: QSD said:

It's strange if that's the case because the Silla era is way before Joseon time.  Silla is in 57 BC – 661, whereas Josean dynasty is around 9th to 14th century, according to Wikipedia. 

The first female ruler of Silla is Queen Seon Deok of 632 to 647.

though I'm a sageuk addict but I just know a few things through wiki and from discussion forums. There are lots of documents in Joseon dynasty but before that, information is very lacking.

By the way, I know that the 3 kingdoms era was from the beginning of AD to 9th century, after the fall of Unified Silla, Koryo had been founded by emperor Wang Gun, the dynasty had existed until 14th century before given up to Lee Seong Gye who was the founder of Joseon .

QSD, yet it is drama only, not really history. At that time , female was nearly equal to male but there are still limitation. The queens can rise to the throne because they were true royal bloodline (seonggeol) but not deny that they were unable to rule.

About Mishil lady, her records was written in Hwarang Segi, but remember this document was claimed to be forged fake which means Mishil does not exist. Talking about the 3 Kingdoms, the Samguk Sagi is the most accurate documents.

Yes, after queen Seondeok is queen Jindeok and later is queen Jinseong during the Silla era.

About Bidam, there's no records of his family , whose son he was... but the historians state that he was a noble, and had been promoted to Sangdaedung 2 years before he had staged a rebel against the Queen after gazing a fallen star and predicted the Queen's reign was over.

The female hwarangs team had also been setted up along with the males, but they were disbanded early later.

The drama about the Korea 3 kingdoms has been remade with brand new actors/ actresses, if you guys are interested, just take a look.

In the Joseon dynasty , Korea's culture affected much from Confucius that rejected the female's vital roles and switch over to males.

Seem like we're talking a bit out of the topic, that's all I got for now, I'll upload more accurate historical information once I've found them.

Wow...a month left for Horse Doctor...you guys should find a drama to watch during the meantime.

Guest avonmarissa

To answer a few of the questions above: this drama is set in the Joseon dynasty which was very different from the Silla dynasty which is depicted in the drama "Queen Seondeok." The Joseon dynasty was founded and governed by the principles of Confucianism which demanded a male-centric society. Women had very few rights and privileges in the Joseon dynasty. Silla on the other hand functioned differently. It's aristocracy was not necessarily based on gender but on the "bone-rank system - "inherited bloodline."  This explains why women ascended to the Silla throne. Also, Silla was a Buddhist nation which was not essentially discriminatory in terms of gender. I hope I was able to answer some questions.

Archived