Quantcast

[Drama 2012] Nice Guy / The Innocent Man 세상 어디에도 없는 착한남자

@Jillia @Sleepy Owl Here are my thoughts on ep 17-18.

My general observation with the last 4 episodes is that Kang Maru is really annoying and the writer(s) are a bit inconsistent with his character depiction. But I will let that slide, as I enjoy the drama otherwise. :D

ep 17

• In this episode it was all about Eun Gi's memories being back but she was continuing to play along. Eun Gi started her revenge plan against Ma Ru, and unsuspecting Maru is so much in love he even asks Eun Gi to run away with him to a faraway place where no one knows them.
    Poor puppy wants a new fresh start.
  • But it doesn't take long until he understands from a paper that Eun Gi had tossed in the trash, that her memories are back. And instead of confronting her about it: THEY BOTH PLAY ALONG. :flushed: How messed up is that for a relationship that should have open and honest communication?
  • I am kind of enjoying Eun Gi's little game of taunting Jae Hee by having her help Eun Gi pick up a wedding dress for her. It's especially funny now that Jae Hee is so desperate to get Ma Ru back....
  • The ring Ma Ru had prepared for Eun Gi - he decides not to give it to her and by the time Eun Gi is sitting in a wedding dress waiting for Ma Ru to appear, the news of Ma Ru's and Jae Hee's relationship hits the press....

ep 18

• Ma Ru calls Eun Gi out for not telling him about having her memories back. Mister, neither did you.... :unamused:
  • Eun Gi leaves with her trusted secretary and is taken to a hotel.
  • Basically this whole episode is about how much both are missing each other but neither have the courage to tell the other about it. So instead of communicating with each other how they feel, they just assume things and suffer because of it. :unamused:
  • We find out that Eun Gi was the one that leaked the affair.
  • One of the most disturbing things in this episode is the fact that Ma Ru starts wooing Jae Hee again. His reasoning is that he will be able to help / save Eun Gi if he takes Jae Hee away from her life.
    DOES HE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT IF HE GOES BACK TO JAE HEE HE IS HURTING EUN GI ?
    Seriously, I wanna smack the guy in the head. :joy:
    Girl loves you, why can't you see that?
  • The other thing that annoys me is that Ma Ru always feels that he has to play the bad guy and sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of others. Dude, just stop!
  • And the ending scene where Eun Gi sees Ma Ru comforting Jae Hee makes my blood boil :rage:

• Blob 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jillia

• jeonghyang

• obscuresalmon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deleted

Hello.. I rewatch this drama more than 1 times. At that time eungi got call from secretary about her dad just died. Meanwhile she was busy with maru (maru is the one who using her to get close with ja

Can you believe it!? It's already 3 years since the first episode of our favourite Korean drama Nice Guy aired and we all lost time of our RL to it. So I thought what best way to celebrate it with a g

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I didn't drop the drama but I wasn't able to catch up on the episodes yet. :lol: I will post my thoughts as soon as I've done so.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one who is behind.... I was feeling so bad because I thought you guys had already finished the drama and posted your thoughts.... :joy:

I came to this thread and was like:

jon stewart what GIF

• LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

And it's not even because I don't want to catch up but really because I didn't have the time. :D

You and me, sister.... You and me.... :D

Gosh, I've been so busy, I haven't even had time to catch up on any drama.

I only have to watch ep 20, and I would be done. sigh.

The problem is that ep 20 is my least favorite episode of this drama - seems to be the reason why I am struggling to start it....

This thread right now:

giphy.gif

Even @Sleepy Owl is gone :D

• LOL 2

@partyon Noona, @Jillia I completed the drama last week, but still could not find proper time to write my post on the final two episodes. 

Noona, I also agree with you that the final episode is not really among the best ones of this drama and would be my least favorite too. Hopefully, I will find time this weekend :wow1:

I visited this thread yesterday, thinking that I was the only one left to write my post, only to see that no one did it yet :joy:

• LOL 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay so @partyon Noona and @Jillia, I watched the final two episodes about 2 weeks ago, finally I got the time and also motivation to write my post on the final 2 episodes of the drama. I had been procrastinating a lot when it came to writing my post for these 2 episodes, since the last one is among my least favorite ones.

Moving on to episode 19th, we do see Ma Ru and Eun Gi struggling with their feelings for each other and the fact that they cannot be together, while it was evident from Ma Ru’s side, it was also shown that Eun Gi was suffering the same. 

Meanwhile Joon Ha gives Ma Ru the voice recording his phone call which he had with Attorney Ahn on the night of Chairman’s accident. I already had expected (the first time when I watched this drama), that something would happen to Joon Ha if he would reveal his cards to Attorney Ahn, and next we see him in was the hospital bed. 

I liked the scene where Ma Ru and Jae Hee have the talk in the park where Ma Ru does expresses his regret over going to prison instead of her, not because of his sufferings, but it lead to Jae Hee becoming the type of person she is now, while also asking her to stop and get punished for the things she did as he will promise to wait for her no matter how long. This scene was quite strong one for me, and both of them acted very well in it. And, Eun Gi had to be there to misunderstand it. 

There was some good development in the character of Han Jae Shik, who we already seen to be moved by the kindness of Choco. She making a seaweed soup on his birthday was enough to make him question his act more, despite being promised a building in return of killing Ma Ru. 

On knowing it was Attorney Ahn behind Joon Ha’s accident, Jae Hee does confront him, who tells her that he will confess everything and be punished for it, while she should not say anything and let him take all the blame. Han Jae Hee being Han Jae Hee pulls out the evidences she had against Chairman Seo and threatens Ma Ru with it, asking him to give the voice recording in return of those docs. 

In Episode 20, I finally got to see this scene, which I had been searching for since the start of re-watch event, as I think @Jillia had shared it.

tumblr_mdk9rp5Ri61r99c4io2_500.gif

Anyway, so Ma Ru asks Eun Gi to leave everything and run away with him to which she refuses. He realizing that Eun Gi does not need him now, tells Jae Hee to reveal whatever she has, he would still hand over the evidence he has got to the police. On returning home, he does collapse thanks to his worsening conditions. Jae Gil takes him to the hospital where Ma Ru is said to be required to have a surgery the next day. 

I also loved the scene where Han Jae Shik speaks with Han Jae Hee, telling her that he had gone to kill Ma Ru, but could not do it, since Choco had cared for him so much, and made sea weed soup for him on his birthday. It actually shows how less love he had received till then, and he even said to Jae Hee the same that had she treated him a bit better, he would not trade the building promised to him with the seaweed. Same was with Ma Ru, he also treated him properly, despite knowing what kind of a man he was. HE does also reveal about Ma Ru’s health condition to her. 

The only positive thing I believe Jae Hee did was to tell Eun Gi about Ma Ru being very sick. She does visit him to the hospital but well, does not go in his room. Jae Gil had already told her everything about Ma Ru’s condition, how he got it, why didn’t treat it and how happy he was being with her. Knowing it all, she does finally connect all the dots about Ma Ru being actually concerned for her after Joon Ha’s accident and not faking it, and also regretting all the things she said to him. 

Ma Ru gets to know about Eun Gi having visited the hospital but not met him, and leaves to see her. Attorney Ahn decides to kill Eun Gi, confess everything while ensuring Jae Hee gets everything. Eun Gi decides to return back to hospital and meet Ma Ru. All three meet while crossing the road, where Ma Ru protects her by hugging her and getting stabbed instead by Attorney Ahn. 

Now I don’t really know how deeply he got stabbed, but I don’t really think anyone could have endured it and talked that long without showing the pain or fainting due to loss of blood. And while Eun Gi’s was moving to and fro from the car to him, kissing him, continuing the talk, all I was thinking was “why is she not leaving, and why is he not collapsing?” :evilelmo:

He does finally collapse, but like after a very long time in my opinion. Now I am not really an expert here, but everytime I watched this scene I always thought how could he endure it all that long :rubchin:

So we see a BIG time jump there, a 7 years long one to be precise, Choco and Jae Gil have got a daughter of their own, who looks quite grown up too (maybe 5-6 years old). Han Jae Shik has turned a new leaf working in a Fried Chicken restaurant, sending love letters to Secretary Hyun. Attorney Ahn gets free from the prison, sees Jae Hee sleeping in the car waiting for him. When Jae Hee wakes up shortly after and decides to go after him Joon Ha stops her from doing it, asking her to let him live freely now. 

Finally we see Eun Gi in the countryside, running a café, while Ma Ru being a doctor there. This time he is suffering from Amnesia. But the whole question is that “does he really not remember anything here?”. I would say, no I think he does remember things, but has decided to not show it. I believe he did have memory loss for some time, but ended up remembering everything (like what happened with Eun Gi), and the proof of it could be the final monologue, and also the fact that he proposed her with the same rings he had bought long ago to do the same. Still, I don’t really care whether he remembered or not, the important thing is that, both Ma Ru and Eun Gi can be finally together without worrying about anything and live peacefully together. 

Ma Ru finally saying “I am…happy now” made the ending just better. 

The drama overall was good, but it being a 20 episode long one made things slightly draggy in some episodes. There were some WTH moments, but not many in my opinion. I loved the overall irony in the title of the drama, seeing how not so innocent the ML was here. Han Jae Hee and Attorney Ahn, especially Han Jae Hee were beyond redemption for me, for the things they did. Han Jae Hee basically manipulated/tried to manipulate everyone around her. Her greed had no bounds. 

It was good to know Eun Gi finally accepting her little brother as her brother and taking care of him while Jae Hee was in prison. 

Speaking about Ma Ru, I know we were kind of frustrated with his overall mixed feelings for Jae Hee especially in the initial few episodes, but giving it a thought I realized it must have been really tough for him to let go of her, since they had been together since their early teens (or even before it), and despite being betrayed by her, he could never bring himself to hate her for it. Whatever he did later on, the main reason for it was Eun Gi, and I think he would have left her alone had she not tried to harm Eun Gi and also Eun Gi was not found in that condition. 

The final 2 episodes seemed to be quite draggy and so they are among my least favorite ones. Like things were happening, but the pace dropped. I didn’t like them playing the amnesia card again. Still, it was the best ending for everyone, so I liked the ending. 

Looking forward to your comments Chingus :heartxoxo:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
48 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Speaking about Ma Ru, I know we were kind of frustrated with his overall mixed feelings for Jae Hee especially in the initial few episodes, but giving it a thought I realized it must have been really tough for him to let go of her, since they had been together since their early teens (or even before it), and despite being betrayed by her, he could never bring himself to hate her for it.

I actually liked that he did not hate her. They had a strong connection, knowing each other since young days. When you loved someone or you have a strong connection as friends, like a family member, it is hard to let him/her go. You know that he/she is doing something wrong but you never hate them. Even if you cut them from your life, there is a wound that never heal completely.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1
2 minutes ago, larus said:

I actually liked that he did not hate her. They had a strong connection, knowing each other since young days. When you loved someone or you have a strong connection as friends, like a family member, it is hard to let him/her go. You know that he/she is doing something wrong but you never hate them. Even if you cut them from your life, there is a wound that never heal completely.

Exactly Chingu, while we know that he still went for her when she acted to be under attack by her brother and didn't like it, but as you said, their connection and the time they spent together made him worry for her.

So yeah, they spent so long together, and it was Ma Ru who took care of her so long that despite knowing it all, he could not bring himself to hate her (which I think is natural as you said). The fact that he did blame himself for her turning out like that since he took the blame for her, also showed what he mostly thought about her, seeing her change like that. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1
3 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

The fact that he did blame himself for her turning out like that since he took the blame for her, also showed what he mostly thought about her, seeing her change like that. 

He knew her very well (her qualities and her weaknesses). It pained him to see her turning the wrong path. I am glad that he recognized that he did wrong when he took the blame for her action. Of course, she is mostly to blame for her decisions but that moment when he took the blame for her was a catalist for her turning dark. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

@Sleepy Owl dongsaeng, @Jillia @larus

I have completed the drama. It took me a while to make myself watch the last episode since it is the episode I like the least....

Ep 19
By the time I watched this episode I had become increasingly frustrated with the writer and the circles we were walking in. One of the comments I wrote about this episode was:

Jesus, what kind of makjang is this....?

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. The "coming clean" part between Kang Maru and Jae Hee was needed for the story to progress and for Jae Hee to change her ways. I just had a hard time with him saying that he would come back to her, even if he couldn't love her.

The reason I felt that way, was that he was STILL after all of this feeling like he was responsible for another person's choices and that he needed to sacrifice his own life for someone else.

There was no character growth!

Shark Tank Ugh GIF by ABC Network

By this time I started FFing some scenes because I couldn't take it anymore.... Too many makjang elements, too many wishy washy feelings, too many tug of wars....

Ep 20

I don't have much to say about the ending episode except for that the fact that I had a hard time with it. Too much action was packed into it and in the end, it felt rushed.

The big thing, of course, is that in the opening sequence the clock's dials are finally going forward and Kang Maru is smiling instead of crying. That was a huge hint that Kang Maru would get some closure and find happiness.

Like @Sleepy Owl the whole stabbing part where Eun Gi doesn't notice a thing was too far fetched. Like how stupid and oblivious can you be not to notice that someone you hugged, talked to on a park bench and in front of a taxi had been stabbed!?!?!?!

oh come on GIF

The ending alluded that Kang Maru still had his memories intact and that he was pretending that he had amnesia. Still a lot of questions were left unanswered. Glad that Kang Maru was happy - unfortunately I wasn't happy with the ending.

I like this drama otherwise. The drama would have been better as a shorter one, because the plot became at some point too repetitive. Also, the ending felt to rushed. I also feel like the character growth lacked a lot in the end.

In any case, thanks for the ride together. :dorakiss:

• Love 2
  • partyon changed the title to [Drama 2012] Nice Guy / The Innocent Man 세상 어디에도 없는 착한남자

Wow. Glad to know this thread is still going. :smile: I am having my own rewatch/recaps on my twitter account when I received notifs from this thread. 

In 2022, it will be Nice Guy's 10th Anniversary. I hope everyone is still here so we could plan something to celebrate. 

• Blob 1
On 12/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, Myu Bless said:

Wow. Glad to know this thread is still going. :smile: I am having my own rewatch/recaps on my twitter account when I received notifs from this thread. 

In 2022, it will be Nice Guy's 10th Anniversary. I hope everyone is still here so we could plan something to celebrate. 

Thanks for finding the thread. Too bad you missed our official rewatch event.

Feel free to stop by at any time. :heartxoxo:

• Like 1