Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jillia

[Drama 2012] Nice Guy / The Innocent Man 세상 어디에도 없는 착한남자

According to KBS twitter... Nice Guy is the first drama to be exported to South America - more specifically in Colombia. HERE the article! :)

Hello, there. KPopAnimeFanatic here.

I can't believe it's already been a full 3.25 years since the last episode of NG aired. I just recently decided to go for another rerun, and boy, did I get a lot out of it. With time comes a better understanding of how the human mind and heart functions, and it helped a lot in the case of Nice Guy. So many very human complexities addressed in a way that edges toward the extreme but doesn't feel extreme in the least. I also learned that in order to understand Nice Guy, it's about putting myself in the characters' shoes to grasp and comprehend their more than occasionally questionable logic. It's never black and white here, except that Maru is definitely no longer in love with Jae Hee from Episode 9 onward and is head over heels for Eun Gi instead. Maru is this very obsessive guy who can't let go of the ones he loves. While dating Eun Gi, he's still just as obsessed with her and in need of her as much as if not more than he was for Jae Hee in the past, but he's learned his lesson from the process of getting over Jae Hee, and is more conscious about letting Eun Gi go, though his heart is just as needy as before. As for Eun Gi, she's this poor innocent soul who's been through just as much emotional turmoil as everyone else (if not more) but has done no wrong in the process and ends up being used anyway. What's more, she's received little to none sort of love and support in her life when Maru and Jae Hee got it and craves it as a result, but ends up being cheated into it and dragged into something worse. But she's nowhere near submissive and giving. Rather, she goes for what she wants until she gets it, if it's within possibility. Unlike Jae Hee, who keeps trying and trying to get Maru after losing him, Eungi first asked for Maru's permission when she wanted him. She never forced anything unto Maru. Finally Jae Hee, selfish Jae Hee. (Note that basically every character in NG is super selfish, but Jae Hee's selfishness is more noticeable because it's based on material wealth.) Her revoltingness does not tread into evil to the point where she would just emotionlessly watch a person die, but it's still a very grabbing attitude that will work to get whatever she wants even with her limited brain size (in comparison to Maru and Eun gi). It's at times infuriating and others almost pitiful, but she's a great character to make NG more complete as an antagonist with complexity.

Eungi's love with Maru is beautiful in that both are so emotionally scarred but are managing it in a positive direction by feeding each other through their relationship, which has great benefits. Eun Gi can see through Maru the biggest liar ever's lies even after losing her memory, and Maru's super smart brain and caring heart help him to know how Eun Gi works from every nut and bolt. Moreover, their love for each other makes them more human and complete, and want to live. 

And thats pretty much every point i wanted to say. 

13 hours ago, KPopAnimeFanatic said:

Hello, there. KPopAnimeFanatic here.

I can't believe it's already been a full 3.25 years since the last episode of NG aired. I just recently decided to go for another rerun, and boy, did I get a lot out of it. With time comes a better understanding of how the human mind and heart functions, and it helped a lot in the case of Nice Guy. So many very human complexities addressed in a way that edges toward the extreme but doesn't feel extreme in the least. I also learned that in order to understand Nice Guy, it's about putting myself in the characters' shoes to grasp and comprehend their more than occasionally questionable logic. It's never black and white here, except that Maru is definitely no longer in love with Jae Hee from Episode 9 onward and is head over heels for Eun Gi instead. Maru is this very obsessive guy who can't let go of the ones he loves. While dating Eun Gi, he's still just as obsessed with her and in need of her as much as if not more than he was for Jae Hee in the past, but he's learned his lesson from the process of getting over Jae Hee, and is more conscious about letting Eun Gi go, though his heart is just as needy as before. As for Eun Gi, she's this poor innocent soul who's been through just as much emotional turmoil as everyone else (if not more) but has done no wrong in the process and ends up being used anyway. What's more, she's received little to none sort of love and support in her life when Maru and Jae Hee got it and craves it as a result, but ends up being cheated into it and dragged into something worse. But she's nowhere near submissive and giving. Rather, she goes for what she wants until she gets it, if it's within possibility. Unlike Jae Hee, who keeps trying and trying to get Maru after losing him, Eungi first asked for Maru's permission when she wanted him. She never forced anything unto Maru. Finally Jae Hee, selfish Jae Hee. (Note that basically every character in NG is super selfish, but Jae Hee's selfishness is more noticeable because it's based on material wealth.) Her revoltingness does not tread into evil to the point where she would just emotionlessly watch a person die, but it's still a very grabbing attitude that will work to get whatever she wants even with her limited brain size (in comparison to Maru and Eun gi). It's at times infuriating and others almost pitiful, but she's a great character to make NG more complete as an antagonist with complexity.

Eungi's love with Maru is beautiful in that both are so emotionally scarred but are managing it in a positive direction by feeding each other through their relationship, which has great benefits. Eun Gi can see through Maru the biggest liar ever's lies even after losing her memory, and Maru's super smart brain and caring heart help him to know how Eun Gi works from every nut and bolt. Moreover, their love for each other makes them more human and complete, and want to live. 

And thats pretty much every point i wanted to say. 

So true. I watched it again last week and I love it even more . For me, NG is the drama that you will appreciate more after watching it again (i lost count of how many times i watched it, lol). 

Hi guys, I started watching this drama in between DotS and have it on repeat everyday since. Haha. NG >>>>> DotS.

Anyways, I'm watching the car crash scene again and anyone has any thought as to why Eungi turned the car around and headed back to the beach? I'm sure it wasn't her intention at first to crash into Maru (how would she knows they'll be in the same tunnel? I know it's written into it so the whole amnesia and 2nd part of the show can go on).  I'm really curious if the director or Miss Moon has mentioned anything in past interviews?

Does she wanna scream at Maru again or what?

21 hours ago, soulgirl012 said:

Hi guys, I started watching this drama in between DotS and have it on repeat everyday since. Haha. NG >>>>> DotS.

Anyways, I'm watching the car crash scene again and anyone has any thought as to why Eungi turned the car around and headed back to the beach? I'm sure it wasn't her intention at first to crash into Maru (how would she knows they'll be in the same tunnel? I know it's written into it so the whole amnesia and 2nd part of the show can go on).  I'm really curious if the director or Miss Moon has mentioned anything in past interviews?

Does she wanna scream at Maru again or what?

Hello.. I rewatch this drama more than 1 times. At that time eungi got call from secretary about her dad just died. Meanwhile she was busy with maru (maru is the one who using her to get close with jaehee 'this is whats on eungi mind') she said on the beach lets go, where no one could find them..but maru still reject her !

so the car crash was intentionally she did, because she wanted died with him.. also mAru still driving when he know eungi want to crash theirs car.. (Before the crash maru seems happy, eungi back, but after saw eungi car still fast, he just let her wish come true, because he feel guilty to hurting her) So both of them wanted to died. .(because they already love each other so much that times)

I think in the beach, kang maru just wanted to hurt eungi feeling because he already using her first, but in the end he fall for her. So he feel guilty toward eungi..

I really love this drama, this is the best of the best song joong ki drama. 

Okay..I love Song Hye Kyo but deep down inside I'm secretly rooting for the ChaeKi couple 

tumblr_inline_o18is6upCt1s26v3z_500.gif

Can't believer its going to be 4 years since NG. Is it possible for them to work together in another drama? :sweatingbullets:

Or maybe Running Man? Or Happy Together?

Still my alltime favourite Korean drama out there. :wub::wub:

Spoiler

15%ED%9A%8C-~1.GIF

07.gif

15%ED%9A%8C-~1.GIF

03.gif

Credit: DC Gall

NOTHING can beat this couple "meeting" for the first time... Maru and Eun Gi... :wub:

eunmaru01.gif

Credit: I made this gif

And the second time they "meet" it's anything but ordinary...

eunmaru02.gif

Credit: I made this gif

On 02/05/2016 at 10:54 AM, KPopAnimeFanatic said:

I can't believe it's already been a full 3.25 years since the last episode of NG aired. I just recently decided to go for another rerun, and boy, did I get a lot out of it. With time comes a better understanding of how the human mind and heart functions, and it helped a lot in the case of Nice Guy. So many very human complexities addressed in a way that edges toward the extreme but doesn't feel extreme in the least.

I really love everything you've said here because I just did my own rewatch of the series recently (okay, two days ago) and I went through pretty much the same emotions! While the first few times in 2012 I was watching for the giddy feelings I got from our leads, this time I really started to appreciate how nuanced the characters are, and how full and complex they are. So many dramas use cardboard/stock characters who are playing their character tropes rather than becoming full and fleshed out, whereas here I could appreciate and understand their motivations, not random for the sake of melodrama, but full and coherent as human beings with their weaknesses, fears, vulnerabilities and vices.

Ever since Nice Guy I've been trying my hardest to find other dramas that meet me the same way NG has, and haven't been able to find them yet. Still hoping that the same magic we got here can be replicated, but it seems so hard for cast + writing + directing to meet as well as they had here.

I'm still re-watching this drama up to this year 2017. It's been 5 years and it is still my favorite SJK drama even after the DOTS hype. I don't know but I find NG better drama than DOTS. 

I hope to see both of them together again. They never seem to have any interaction since SJK left and return from army enlistment. :(

call me late but I just watched this amazing drama and loveeee it so much. I originally saw clips of the Chaeki couple and thought the chemistry would be amazing but my heart wasn't ready to see song joong ki paired with other actress after watching DoTS (am a song-song shipper here). But oh my... after watching this drama I realise that Chaeki's couple chemistry is indeed so good.  

I only started watched  last month but have repeated so many times. Its sooo goodd ~!! I agree with the saying that all the characters are complex, they are often faced with internal battle and I question their logical decision making but overall the drama is very well written, so many twists and so many layers of emotions built from watching it.

I still question when did Maru first realise that he has fallen in love with EunGi, and why Maru chose to hide his pain after being stabbed because i thought he found a reason to live then, and many more questions. I also wished there would've been a more obvious declaration of love for the ending but cant complain as it's a happy ending.

Im trully glad I watch this drama as it will be one that will last in my mind forever, my fave kdrama

On 5/23/2017 at 10:18 PM, lotuzea said:

call me late but I just watched this amazing drama and loveeee it so much. I originally saw clips of the Chaeki couple and thought the chemistry would be amazing but my heart wasn't ready to see song joong ki paired with other actress after watching DoTS (am a song-song shipper here). But oh my... after watching this drama I realise that Chaeki's couple chemistry is indeed so good.  

I only started watched  last month but have repeated so many times. Its sooo goodd ~!! I agree with the saying that all the characters are complex, they are often faced with internal battle and I question their logical decision making but overall the drama is very well written, so many twists and so many layers of emotions built from watching it.

I still question when did Maru first realise that he has fallen in love with EunGi, and why Maru chose to hide his pain after being stabbed because i thought he found a reason to live then, and many more questions. I also wished there would've been a more obvious declaration of love for the ending but cant complain as it's a happy ending.

Im trully glad I watch this drama as it will be one that will last in my mind forever, my fave kdrama

Welcome to this thread! Even though this has been inactive for a long time now. I'm glad you liked The Innocent Man even after watching DOTS first. it was the other way around for me and I still can't bring myself to watch DOTS I've seen a few episodes but it just can't make me like it like how I loved The innocent man from the very beginning I know DOTS is a great work too but I'm too much attached to Maru and Eun gi. lol