Quantcast
ecs707a

[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

Joo Won "I Want To Wear More Masks."

43ca3ed12f2eb9388b9c1a7fd5628535e4dd6f72

After taking off the Bridal Mask, Joo Won would like to wear more masks.

“If the interviewer does not mind, can I have some snacks while doing this interview?” In order to attend this interview, with the sound of his footsteps going “da da da”, Joo Won came running in, hands full of various tidbits. “When I am tired, eating snacks will lift me up.” thus said Joo Won, the “Snack King” who is always eating tidbits. How more interesting can this get? This Bridal Mask who is eating snacks and laughing “haha” at the same time.

Today, Joo Won is one of those young actors who are attracting the most attention in Korea. In Baker King Kim Tak Gu, he received attention together with Yoon Shi Yoon, then he acted with Uhm Tae Woong in the movie “ Special Investigation Unit”, followed by filming the drama “Bridal Mask, establishing his own presence.

“Recently, I felt like I have become an idol” Joo Won said. His popularity has monopolized fans ranging from a 3 year old to an elder who can remember the days of the Japanese occupation. Not only this, in the national variety show 2N1D, Joo Won is also interpreting his own role. More than his acting skills, the thing that leaves the audience with a deep impression in their memories is that Joo Won is an actor who knows how to let himself go because of the drama.

In Bridal Mask, Joo Won went from an unrestrained Lee Kangto to become a pure and innocent man who was passionately in love with Mok Dan(Jin Se Yeon). He also had to act out many action scenes. In the drama, he used suppression and bitterness to replace his old image of being an obedient man, and he perfectly portrayed the Lee Kangto who bore the sufferings of that era.

“Actually when I took the script of Bridal Mask, I already started to feel the pressure. It was a 10 billion mega production and also a very famous manhwa, and there were many emotional and action scenes, so I was very worried whether as a main actor, would I be able to act well.

In reality, Lee Kangto was a very complex character. Before he wore the mask, he was a betrayer of his own nation. After that, he had to hide his identity, be it in front of the independence fighters or the Japanese. The viewers enjoyed watching it but to the one acting, it was actually a headache.

“The moment I took over the mask from hyung, it was the beginning of my troubles. Although it was just acting, in reality I was also confused. At the police station, on the outside I was Sato Hiroshi but inside I was Lee Kangto. Not only this, I also had to hide the truth from Mok Dan. So more than acting, I was very tired mentally. After the show ended, I still felt confused and my head hurt.”

Even Park Ki Woong who acted alongside with him said “You are the great con-artist at acting.” Joo Won had totally become Lee Kangto. Because of this, the audience got duped as well, found it interesting and tried to understand the character in the drama.

“This is the first production that caused suffering on me physically. Joo Won revealed that “I am a person who alone, can deliver 250 rounds of musical performances. So I was fully confident of my physical stamina when I started. But this time, Bridal Mask was really exhausting, probably because it required one person to show so many different faces, that’s why it was so. “Even though it was like this, Joo Won’s style is the type who does not like to take health supplements.

When he hits the limit, the things that give Joo Won strength are his sense of responsibility and his relationship with people. “I strive to be an actor who is full of vitality.” Joo Won places a lot of emphasis on his interpersonal relationship with the actors and the staff on the set. In order to create a relaxed filming atmosphere, Joo Won candidly opened up and worked hard to get along and work with people around him.

Now that he has taken off the mask, Joo Won spoke of the next challenge that he wants to take. “I want confirm the diverse personalities that’s hidden deep within myself.” Influenced by the main actor in the play “Jekyll and Hyde” who had multiple personalities, Joo Won candidly revealed that he wants to see how many more masks he has within himself.

“After acting in Bridal Mask, I heard for the first time that I am sexy. It’s the first time I discovered that I had a sexy side to me. Perhaps there are still many faces hidden inside me. So I will like to take the challenge.”

6a33da1b0ef41bd5f272857951da81cb38db3dc2

Chinese translation: 由米35 on baidu

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: bntnews

Se Yeon’s Interview part 2  (Taken from this video interview, she talked a lot more about BM in part 1)
Transcribed & Summarized by Jessi15 @ Soompi

k0smxd.jpg

Se Yeon is filming for an advertisement. “I came here to take photoshoot for a magazine.”

She is not ‘Mok Dan’ here. She is showing her classy appeal. “It is weird to see my different side.” Jin Se Yeon is beautiful without make-up. She is showing her different side with heavy make-up.“It’s interesting to do make-up and hair like this.”

The photographer starts taking photos of Se Yeon. She shows her sexy appeal and very charms. The video starts to show SY in various commercial advertisements. She was in many TV advertisements. She became queen of TV advertisements until she became Cinderella.

A way she made her debut:

“I was casted on the street. I filmed TV advertisements

To become an actress:

“I was auditioning for a role in TV advertisements, dramas and movies. I naturally broaden my works.

Beautiful?
“I am glad to be called beautiful. Thank you.” Here she smiled and waved to the audience.

Sense of Inferiority:
“I felt inferior about my cheeks.” Then she continued apologetically “Today’s concept was cool and chic. However I sometimes doesn’t look cool because of my cheeks (she was patting lightly her cheeks) so I’m sad.”

A charming point:
“My smile.”

Different sides:

“I might look as if I am quiet and matured. However I act cute like girls my age do so when people got to know me better, people say that I have lively side.”

How do you manage your skin and body?

“When I am filming a drama, I would naturally loose weight without noticing it. I don’t get to sleep a lot. I easily get hungry. So I have to move even though I am sleepy and hungry when filming. So I just loose weight . For my skin, I’m sad… I have to wear make=up until dawn so I would get hives. I just cleanse my face leaving no make-up.”

A new actress Jin Se Yeon.

A year after her debut, she was casted as a main role in “My Daughter the Flower”.

“I was just happy about The Daughter The Flower. The title of the drama is The Daughter the Flower. I got the role of Flower so I was happy.”

Something you gained?

“I played the main character for the first time. So I felt like I’m one step closer to acting. There were many professional actors and actresses so I have learned a lot from them. The drama gave me reason to become a good actress.”

A role you want to play?
“I always play roles that are older than my age. Next I want to play a University student role that has an ingenuous beauty. I would like to play an optimistic person.”

20 years old Jin Se Yeon is lively and girlish.

Matured look?
“I could have played the roles because I have matured look. So I don’t mind looking matured.”

Free Times:
“I usually stay home. I often watch movies.”

The last film you have watched?
“I watched the Dark Knight Rises at the theatre recently. I really like it” Here she gave it a thumb up. Then the video showed her on the date she went to the admission at Chungang University. Se Yeon said “I feel good and excited. I am not a University student. I would attend lectures. I want to get to know Luna and Min Ho. I want to be close with friends.”

University life:

Se Yeon said regretfully: “I couldn’t attend classes at the University because I had to shoot ‘My Daughter the Flower’ and ‘The Bridal Mask’ so I’m sad. She then talked about her relationship with Luna f(x).
“Because we couldn’t meet often, we couldn’t be close friends. Chungang University students send messages so I sometimes got in touch with her.”

What would you like to do before you graduate?
“I want to go to MT before graduation” and then she giggled:
“A blind dat
e?”

Relationship?
“I never had a boyfriend. I don’t know why” Here she giggled again.

Future plans:
“I hope to be on TV after the drama. I will work hard. I want to be this kind of an actress that could gain people’s trust. I want people to have positive thoughts when I am on a drama or a movie.”

Se Yeon became a dreamgirl for Korean men. Jin Se Yeon is the most wanted girlfriend among the actresses. As she walked around in the studio and got to see her own pictures , she is beaming “I am happy. He (the photographer) shoots great pictures. I love this hair and make-up. I really liked today’s shooting.”

“I want to be remembered as this kind of actress. I want to become an actress that could gain people’s trust. I want people to have positive thoughts when I am on a drama or a movie."

Future plans?
“The Bridal Mask ends in a month. I will do my best filming the ‘Bridal Mask’. I hope to be on TV after the drama. I will work hard.”

Drawing to the conclusion, to the audience Se Yeon said:
“To viewers, I am Jin Se Yeon. The Bridal Mask will be fun so please watch it. I will try to show more of my different sides. Bye.”

The screen shows this notation ‘Actress Jin Se Yeon has dreams. We hope you to become a dependable actress’ whilst music of Goodbye Day playing on the background.

2lp1u0.jpg

2u7ta1t.jpg

Thanks for transcribing @Jessi15. :)

Celebrity Topic – Joo Won’s Drama Travelogue

Part 3 – Towards Bigger Dreams

Playing the role of an antagonist left a deep impression and the beautiful and tragic love he played has made him the young “STAR”. He is recognized for his innate ability at acting both good and evil. Joo Won even obtained the title of “The New Generation Capable Actor” in the Rising Star, he is making cautious pace, ready to take off after completing his run-up.

be2c44086e061d951311ebb57bf40ad163d9ca91

30th May 2012 to 6th Sep 2012 – “Bridal Mask” It was blistering hot but very happy

Since 2010, I have acted in one drama each year. Although each piece of work is very memorable, the one I love best is the recently ended “Bridal Mask”. I suffered a lot both physically and mentally, but this is also a drama that contributed to my growth. I played Lee Kangto who experienced much sadness when it came to his family. On the other hand, he also suffered pain when he had to go up against his friend Shunji because of fateful circumstances. Shunji was actually Kangto’s best and only friend in the world…even as we filmed; I would think ‘how did we reach such a stage?’ This question made my heart ached.

From a perspective of an observer, Kangto and Shunji could not avoid their tragic fate. These two closest friends faced the fate of having to kill one another’s family; they continuously deepened their mutual animosity. Just when one is being worn out on the inside and needed the support and comfort of a friend, they developed mutual distrust instead, deepening their hatred of each other. Their tragic fate makes one cry. When we did the actual filming, I carried the same sort of feelings in my heart; Park Ki Woong hyung who played Shunji felt the same way too. We could not help but asked “Why did we become like this?” we felt sorry for each other. In the final episode of Bridal Mask, I felt even more heartbroken. Because Kangto had to send off the woman who he deeply loves……it was heart wrenching.

a12d32f33a87e95062992fe110385343faf2b45a

Leading dual lives as Kangto was very difficult. Do I just trick the characters in the drama or do I also need to trick the entire audience? That fine line made me confused. In the beginning, it was the difficulty of drawing the emotions of trying to understand the past. In the middle and the latter half, it was psychological fatigue. Because I had to switch back and forth between good and evil, until the very last when things could no longer hold up and were going to be revealed, it was very strenuous.

In the final scene, holding the dead Mok Dan in his arms, Kangto burst into tears, crying loudly. When the viewers saw this scene, many cried along. But there were also reactions like “whether the emotions were over the top.” Ever since I was in high school, I started to feel that in acting, one should not care how he looks. This is my own philosophy on acting. If I always had to care about how the camera would capture me, whether I look good, then I would not be able to show sincere acting. I feel that only when I cast away all external things then I can show an acting that resonates with people and is sincere.

After the filming of ‘Baker King Kim Tak Gu’ ended, I received an invitation from my alma mater to give a lecture to my sunbaes. At that time, I told them these words “Cast away the external things”. This is most important to an actor; it is actor Joo Won’s philosophy.

8006dc0735fae6cda74777ec0fb30f2443a70f7d

From March this year, I started the frantic pace because of Bridal Mask filming. It was hot and we also met with typhoons. It was not just the actors but the staff also suffered a lot. It was also a long distance to the filming site. Travelling took a lot of time so it was hard physically. The weather was extremely hot and I still had to wear the uniform. Sometimes, I felt as if my neck was being strangled and had to ask for a short break before I could continue with the filming. Although it was like this, the most fortunate thing was the atmosphere on the set. Because I was working with good staff and actors, it gave me a long of strength. Because I had the sunbaes who loved me, I became encouraged. Because there were viewers who knew of our sweat and efforts, I could smile. It is so now and it will be so in the future, Bridal Mask is a production that made me very happy.

6th September 2012– Ahn-nyeong Hahsehyo! And another Ahn-nyeong Hahsehyo!

To date of all the characters you played, which is your favorite one? Bridal Mask’s Lee Kangto. It is a role that allowed an actor to display a wide range. I thought a lot during the filming. Kangto gave me a great leap forward. To play this role, I was vexed for a long time and I also did a lot of research. Bridal Mask was a process by which I became an actor. I have always acted characters that are older than my actual age. In the future, I would like to act a character that’s about the same age. I wish to take the challenge of funny and cute acting. Every time when I filmed a show, I would concentrate intensely in order to immerse myself in the character. When I hear the director “CUT, my emotional state would still continue for a while. Anyway, in order to completely step out of the character, Kangto, I will still need some time.

Now I wish to travel with my family and friends. Even if it’s somewhere near, it does not matter. I want to go travelling, to enjoy as much as I can, the little happiness of daily life. To share stories with others, to spend beautiful sunny days listening to music, if like this, even though it is with regrets, it’s time I have to bid Kangto a beautiful farewell. Then I would again prepare to meet the new character. I will give my utmost to become a true actor. I hope everybody will continue to give me attention and care. I will take the trust and care you have given me and melt it into my works, this is the type of actor Joo Won will be. A Joo Won, who people will anticipate even more tomorrow than today. Towards bigger dreams, Fighting!

Writer: Joo Won

Chinese translation: minidadalove on baidu

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: Naver

Not sure if this appeared here. But I was just browsing tumblr and someone said it made her cry watching this. Man, I miss Mok Dan& Kangto, gosh I really still do. 

mrdimples said:

mojobobo

said: @mrdimples, you think Yang Baek will be the one to take the shot for Kangto? As much as this drama is about Kangto, it's also about the country and I'm jsut worried the writer will choose to kill of Mok Dan and make Kangto a man who just fights for his country. 

sunshine4ever said: mrdimples said:

mojobobo

said: @mrdimples, you think Yang Baek will be the one to take the shot for Kangto? As much as this drama is about Kangto, it's also about the country and I'm jsut worried the writer will choose to kill of Mok Dan and make Kangto a man who just fights for his country. 

sunshine4ever said: Post reserved for Bridal Mask directory ---- WILL BE UPDATING-----UNDER HEAVY CONSTRUCTION

Interviews

Jin Se Yeon
Jin Se Yeon's Thoughts on Bridal Mask, cast, & Mok Dan part 1 (during BM)
Jin Se Yeon's Interview part 2 (during BM)

Joo Won
"5 Words Talk" Interview Translation & Video  (after BM)
The Dual Life of Joowon (while filming BM)
"Gaksital" Joo Won the National Star - "My dream is to become that good an actor." (after BM)
I Love Sportswear. I am Boring and also not Handsome (after BM)
Joowon who transforms into a strong man, the hero in Bridal Mask (during BM)
“Rising Rapidly Like The LTE” Asia Today’s interview  (after BM)

Joo Won & Park Ki Woong
How Is the Actual Relationship between Bridal Mask “Enemies” Joo Won and Park Ki Woong? (after BM)

Han Chae Ah

Park Ki Woong
Park Ki Woong: "I got to know Joo Won through Gaksital; he was an excellent partner" (after BM)

Videos:

Gaksital Press Conference News (no subs)
BTS JW & JSY's Kissing Scence #3 Interview (English translation included)

(no subs)
Bridal Mask Interview of the four main leads (In English subs, Chinese & Vietnamese subs)

THIS IS AWESOME!!   ^:)^  i pinned this on our first page. thanks dear! 

While we are all focusing on reading articles and watching interviews of the 4 main characters of Bridal Mask after the drama ended, somehow I found an article of interview with Jung Eun Byul, a supporting actress who started playing her role of Jin Hong from ep 21.  When I was reading the article, I was surprised to know she sang one of the tracks 안되나봐  in Bridal Mask OST.  I quickly checked music.daum.net and BM in Wikipedia to confirm the info.  Bingo!!  She is the one but her stage name as a singer is 은유Her singing is nice although she might have no more than 10 lines to say in BM.  

Source of the article:   http://news.kstyle.com/article.ksn?articleNo=1952166&categoryCode=IV

Below is translation.

Jung Eun Byul -  From being a fan of Bridal Mask, it was lucky to have become Jin Hong

The 24-year-old Jung Eun Byul is yearning for acting, however, being a rookie actress, there is still so much to learn and so much to show.   Instead of being greedy, actor/actress taking one step at a time has more reasons to be loved by the viewers.

Interview with Jung Eun Byul was done at Hap Chang Dong after BM had finished its airing.   Jung played the role of Jin Hong.  Although she only joined BM filming from the last one-third of the drama,  she had already drawn lots of attention from viewers.   Since she is  a rookie actress, she is still not used to interviews but her passion towards acting is not less than any other veteran actors/actresses.

In a scene which she had to fight against Chae Hong Ju played by Han Chae Ah and the scene which the Dong Jin Death Squad went to rescue Bridal Mask from the torture room, Jin Hong’s role was vigorously active.   Her filming schedule was only one month but it was very special to her.

“It was a very popular drama.  I enjoyed watching it.  When I knew I would be playing a role in it, I just couldn’t believe it.  It was lucky for me.  However, because I have to play with all the best actors and actresses, I think no matter what, I have to do my best to do well in my action scenes.”

In BM, there were lots of action scenes, there would be a trouble if viewers found out the scenes were done by stunt, so it was very difficult for Jung to merge with the scenes which the stunt had done.  “I have lots of action scenes and also because it was a sensitive time about the problem on supporting actors, the requirement was even more strict.   Although I cannot perform to the same level like a stunt can, I tried and did my best.  Fortunately, I got recognition from people, I was happy.”

Other than being a beautiful and elite member whose role certainly attracted the curiosity of viewers, Jung also gained lots of attention from viewers as her ranking kept rising in the search engine of portal sites on her  “kicking scene” and ”the fighting scene which she took control over Han Chae Ah within 3 seconds”. 

“For 3 days, I found my name ranked in the search field.  It was like a miracle to me.  I was happy.  I was proud in front of the filming staff and PD when these scenes were captured.  They were all happy for me.  Because of this, I found myself more passionate towards filming."

Actually Jung is engaged in singing activities with her stage name of “Eun-U”, she sang Mok Dan’s theme  “Looks like it doesn’ work” in Bridal Mask OST.   “When I was little, I liked singing and dancing.  I was born in Konju but the chance when we moved to Seoul.  I was scouted when I was 20.  In order to make a debut as a singer, I changed different management agencies within 4 years, so I understand how hard life is, I keep my will very firm.  Acting is something which I did not expect.”

Jung just vaguely thought it was just a co-incidence starting with acting.  Others think she has potential to be an actress. “One day, my management agency received a script and I read it.   When I did the script reading with others, I didn’t realise I shed tears already.  By reading the lines, I immersed myself in the character.   Guess I started my acting with these tears.  I could feel the happiness which acting brought me.”

Jung started her first drama in SBS “First Marriage”, she played the role of Mibon, her acting was recognized, then she acted better in her next KBS2 drama “Birds of Thorns”.  Jung started martial arts in order to film Bridal Mask, she is still practising it even now.  She wants to become an actress like Ha Ji Won who played the role of Jang Chae Ok, a female detective in Joseon era, in the drama of Tamo.

“Shooting was my hobby when I was young.  Now I have demonstrated my swordmanship, my kicking skill was also very popular after  receiving special training before filming.  From now on, I just learn the basics one by one in order to prepare myself to play and act well in any other role in future.  I am prepared to play a role similar to Ha Ji Won in “Tamo””.

If you ask Jung about her future activity plan, she surely knows what to tell you. “I want to play a role who has experienced hardship, a reckless & rough type of  tomboy.  I want to get recognition as an actress rather than a singer.  I would like to thank you Yoon Son Shik PD and Cha Yon Hun PD for giving me the chance to play a role in Bridal Mask.  It was such an honour.  I learnt a lot.  Also, thank you for everyone of my first official fancafe.  I hope I will have more activities in future and please give me your love and support.”

i have found my way back to "BM" thread, and this is my peace offering to everyone. enjoy, fellow fans!
Entertainment Weekly interview with Park Ki Woong, credits to kbsworld

@Micheru, thanks dear for posting PKW's interview. Out of Shunji shadow, he sounds like a very nice and sincere young man. Looks like the main couples in BM have taken a shine to their partner LOL So HCA likes someone older but Shunji ah, don't worry. If JW can change his mind saying that age has no bearing in his choosing a g/f then HCA can change her mind too.

@manyearsago Welcome, I don't recall having met you here in this thread before. Thanks for contributing Jung Eun Byul's interview. I really like her character in BM and she was good doing the action scenes. The director and BM's production team made a good choice bringing her in with just few espisodes left of the broadcast.

mrdimples said: You know even up to today, when I imagine Kangto holding his Boon Yi dead in his arms, there's that awful chill in my heart. Ever since he discovered she was Boon Yi, he went to great lengths to protect her and saved her countless times. 
And for the whipping scene, I was wondering why didn't he use less strength? I can only deduce that if he were to hit her less hard, Shunji might prolong the torture. I think Kangto was hoping that Shunji would quickly change his mind as soon as he laid the first stroke. If you compare how he whipped her to how Kangto himself was whipped by Koiso, you can see the difference. Koiso threw his entire weight with each stroke whereas Kangto just moved his arms. But of course, Mok Dan is a girl so even then it was terrible. 
After it happened,  he resolved that he would never hurt her again or cause her to be hurt even if it is in the name of protecting the cause. He had no qualms being tortured himself to save the cause though. So, he would do anything to save even a hair on her head. I really cannot imagine him going through all these and then she still died in the end. How cruel. 

sunshine4ever said: mrdimples said: You know even up to today, when I imagine Kangto holding his Boon Yi dead in his arms, there's that awful chill in my heart. Ever since he discovered she was Boon Yi, he went to great lengths to protect her and saved her countless times. 
And for the whipping scene, I was wondering why didn't he use less strength? I can only deduce that if he were to hit her less hard, Shunji might prolong the torture. I think Kangto was hoping that Shunji would quickly change his mind as soon as he laid the first stroke. If you compare how he whipped her to how Kangto himself was whipped by Koiso, you can see the difference. Koiso threw his entire weight with each stroke whereas Kangto just moved his arms. But of course, Mok Dan is a girl so even then it was terrible. 
After it happened,  he resolved that he would never hurt her again or cause her to be hurt even if it is in the name of protecting the cause. He had no qualms being tortured himself to save the cause though. So, he would do anything to save even a hair on her head. I really cannot imagine him going through all these and then she still died in the end. How cruel. 

Jessi15 said:

@Micheru, thanks dear for posting PKW's interview. Out of Shunji shadow, he sounds like a very nice and sincere young man. Looks like the main couples in BM have taken a shine to their partner LOL So HCA likes someone older but Shunji ah, don't worry. If JW can change his mind saying that age has no bearing in his choosing a g/f then HCA can change her mind too.

@manyearsago Welcome, I don't recall having met you here in this thread before. Thanks for contributing Jung Eun Byul's interview. I really like her character in BM and she was good doing the action scenes. The director and BM's production team made a good choice bringing her in with just few espisodes left of the broadcast.

sorry long post ahead...

disclaimer: this message is written to try to see another perspective of Shunji..it does not support killing oneself in anyway to obtain salvation..it is just opened to help you understand SJ's death..and SJ's salvation begun before his death --- the moment he was remorseful of MD's death...[i am 100% against killing yourself based on my belief]

@mojobobo
, okay, so I finally understood why I wanted to write an extension of why I think SJ did receive his salvation. I think it is because both you and I saw a different SJ that was why and I just felt like I understood why he had to die given his condition. I agree with you that your choices lead to your destiny and yes, Heaven or Hell is based on your choices, but I don't think SJ chose to go to hell at the end.

I watched parts of episode 2 again and I remembered you told me about SJ and his poor conditions of not being loved. You replied to me once and I don't remember exactly what you wrote; however, I agree with what you wrote because I realized now that the entire time SJ was being touched by people who were not his family members. I think these people were the ones that once came into SJ's lives and did something to him: Nanny, Esther, Kangto, and lastly Rie and maybe Tamao, but he only loved most his brother and his dad even when his dad seemed to have neglected him and his brother was too busy with his work. I think SJ was more naive than selfish to not take over his dad's business/group. Maybe he was like a sheltered character who was always given everything and never suffered like Kangto, MD, or Rie and that was why when he suffered the loss of his brother it caused him so much pain.

Also looking back I remembered when SJ went berserk when he saw Bridal Mask killed his brother I was lost and confused as to why he would behave that way. I remember one time you told me the reason why Kangto killed SJ's dad even though he knew he was SJ's dad was because KT thought that it was supposed to be that way. I now think that SJ was almost like KT in a sense that he thought that the only way for everything to end it has to be "an eye for an eye." So that was why he was so obsessively trying to chase after Bridal Mask. He wanted to kill BM because he thought that is what he should do to avenge for his lost brother. But as he continued he lost control and lost his senses as a Kimura Shunji from the past who was always so carefree and loved the world.

He lost his innocence and he lost his soul along the way of trying to chase after BM. I also think that the reasons why SJ liked the Korean people so much was because of Esther. In episode 2, Esther was a kind girl who helped his nanny. She even pleaded with the doctor to save/help SJ's nanny and played with him when he was injured by his dad. Because he liked her so much so whenever he saw Korean people they reminded him of her and that was why he chose to be a teacher to be near the Korean people while he was looking for her? (Not sure if he was looking for her either, but I am thinking he would rather be a teacher than a police who killed Korean people because he liked Esther and Esther was Korean). But it all changed when he saw Gaksital killed his brother. Because BM killed his brother and he witnessed how terrible his brother died, he wanted to run after BM and killed BM because he thought that BM deserved to die. So he hated Korean people because they reminded him of BM and vice versa. Additionally, Mokdan really adored and loved BM, so SJ became even more mad because he disliked BM for killing his brother and now BM even got in his way of being together with MD.

I watched parts of episode 17 between SJ & MD and at that time he was still thinking that he would be able to come back from being a teacher and lived his past life again. I think he was having false illusions that once he killed BM, he could still come back to being his old self. Yet he was not aware that he had become a monster to those around him because he killed with no mercy to those who got in the way of killing BM.

Okay, now towards the end of this drama SJ wanted to kill KT and he was warned by Rie in advance. I think this hurt him even more because he was warned before hand. His stubborn acts were what caused him pain. He wanted to kill KT because KT killed his dad and brother, but unfortunately he shot MD instead. His goal was to kill KT so that he can be with MD towards the end (he was not thinking clearly), but oops, he realized he killed the wrong person! Now I know it was mentioned by PKW (which could relate to what the scriptwriter and what she wanted her character to turn out) that SJ stopped loving MD along time ago, but I think that SJ really did love MD because she was one of those people that touched him once in his life. She was this kind girl that had pity on him and his nanny once. He liked her since young, but because she died so he was crying really hard. Scene of him trying to kill KT and blamed KT for her death when in reality he killed her. Then SJ was holding on to the pile of blood and was crying really hard.

And then when he came to his senses he did not blame anyone anymore towards the end. Rie called him and asked him if he wanted to go with her or try to avoid KT. Why didn't he try to avoid KT? That is because inside of him he felt that it was his fault that MD died and therefore it is "an eye for an eye." He was sorry for her death, thus he must die because he killed her. That was his mentality. I think that must have been in his mind. And he definitely did not want to kill KT because he was changed by MD's death. He was remorseful and he did not want to kill anymore. Plus he had already experienced fighting with KT and KT didn't want to kill him before in front of his yard in episode 27. So it wouldn't make sense to fight and kill KT. If he let KT kill him, it would scar KT for life because he had that kind of relationship with KT. Remember in ep. 25 or something KT would rather be captured by him.

Also why didn't he just kill himself before KT come? He could have killed himself before hand. Why wait until he finished his talks with KT and/or until KT came for him? He knew fully that KT was going to come for his life, so he waited and had the gun ready. He even gave KT the picture because he thought that that was supposed to belong to KT. For me, I felt like SJ's death was a way of saying "I am sorry, KT, for killing MD."

He saw MD's beautiful smile and how lovely she was before he killed her and that caused such great grief and sadness. I think while he was crying he was feeling sorry for his action. But like I said, it really is a maybe because I'm not sure what's inside SJ's mind. Also the fact that SJ was not the person that would come to KT and said he was sorry for what happened. Even when he said sorry to KT, I don't think KT would have accepted it because SJ killed so many people including MD. I think MD wouldn't have minded and I highly doubt that KT was coming after SJ for her death because both of us know that KT killed his dad first, right? I think KT was coming after SJ because of those hundred of lives that SJ brought his troops in for.

I am rather concerned about SJ receiving salvation because it seemed to me that MD was the only person SJ was remorseful for for killing her. KT reminded him again why he had to come for SJ and I think SJ realized it then that he killed lots of other lives.

It's sad, but I don't think SJ would be able to live and rebuild his life, mojobobo. It's because the circumstances didn't allow him to because of how the plot was built. If SJ ran away with Rie and lived the rest of his life freely or redone, it wouldn't make sense because he would be guilty for the rest of his life for killing MD and realizing how many people he killed. Remember that SJ was a very sensitive soul. I am sad to see his death and I learned to be compassionate towards people like SJ, but I realized that sometimes we can't be in control of how a person chose their paths. The only way we can do is to pray for them if they have lost their ways like SJ.

Anyway, don't know why I'm writing such a long message yet it might not make any sense. I just don't think SJ was a coward. I think he did die for what he believed was right even though it's nuts to kill oneself to repay for one's sins. (But that's how SJ was raised up at that time.) God will consider the circumstances and conditions, I'm sure, when he judges someone like SJ.

mojobobo said:
The picture is from here --> http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1909092713
In Episode 2, Shunji was still a carefree teacher. When Kenji and Kangto were fighting in the police station, Shunji ostensibly picked Kangto over Kenji and helped ensure that Kangto managed to escape. He even goes so far as to say that if Kangto was framed just because he was a Korean, no Korean would be loyal to the Japanese government. Here, he truly believed that everyone was equal and that Japan could lead Korea to prosperity. 
It was also in this episode that he found out Mok Dan was Esther and she was still looking for the Young Master, but he didn't mind a bit. He was glad to have just found her again. 
Ki Woong did say in his interview that at the moment just before Shunji pulled the trigger, he felt empty, like everything was a dream. I take that to mean that he had already given up on life. There was no way he could g back to being a teacher. And I think the gravity of his actions did hit him and he was remorseful but I think he pitied himself more than anything else too. He lost his family, he lost Mok Dan, he even lost Kangto, who was the sole person he held dear who was still alive. There didn't seem to be anything else he could hold on to so he chose to end it all instead of searching for new meaning. Contrast this with Kangto or even Rie, who had lost her source of power and was just a powerless Korean woman now. She didn't even allow Katsuyama to be by her side. 
I take salvation to mean hope but Shunji had no more hope left. That's why I felt it was a pity, because if he chose hope, he would have gotten his salvation by finding new meaning in life. You are definitely entitled to your interpretation. This drama is so rich that we all can take away different meanings :)

thanks for an amazing thread everyone. i found myself drawn back to kdramaland this year with so many fabulous shows, with Bridal Mask being the highlight.

the finale blew my mind while making the heart hurt in such a good way.
since i'm guilty of fast forwarding a LOT while watching, I went back this weekend to watch some key episodes and was so happy i did since there was so much i simply didn't catch the first time.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

i loved that the first time we see kangto and shunji together, shunji was the one in white and kangto in black. it makes their final scene together deeply poignant as shunji is dressed in the dark noblesman clothes, and kangto's is now garbed in the all white peasant clothes. its a gorgeous highlight to the difference in their roles and also the shift in idealogy. this led me to notice how many scenes are beautiful mirrored in the drama.

another perfect example of how intricately bridal mask was thought out was when the first gaksital was revealed as kang san, we see him take off the mask standing by this majestic tree. later when kang to decides to embrace gaksital identity, we get to see him place the mask on standing by the same tree. such a small moment, but so powerful when placed in context with one another.

how awesome (yet so damn rare) is it that bridal mask gifts us with such a rich complex villain as Shunji. coming right out of king 2 heart where the villain is the typical cartoon big bad, it was refreshing to mull through the nuances that made Shunji a compelling character. even close to the end, he clung to the hope that having esther will allow himself to go back to days gone by. and even after seeing him make so many terrible choices and do horrific things (the crazy intense torture scenes) i felt moved to believe him.the teeter toter of this conscious and his pride was so compelling. you WANT to see him redeem himself, while knowing that he is too far gone for it.

the real love story in bridal mask for me is definitely kang to and shunji's friendship. the bond, the support, and eventually the betrayal and mind games grounded the story. gawd how adorable is it that they have sleepovers?!

that is why i thought shunji's ending was perfect. in taking his own life, he saved his best friend from having to do so, a final merciful act of apology. after losing everything else, i think it would the taking of shunji's life that would finish kang to.