[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

No matter how much I dislike Shunji.. I still want the ending of him and KT as friends. I know its just wrong but for KT, I feel Shunji's friendship meant so much to him. What Shunji did was unforgiven but i still want to see a friendship that last forever. So I am hoping somewhere deep down in Shunji's soul that his friendship is still there and it is just cover up by all the hurt feelings. I'll be sad if Shunji dies too b/c KT will be sad too!!!

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jessi15

@snguyenova thank you so much for the beautiful, sharp analyzing of KT-MD love. Although I feel that the romance side of the drama is lacking and could have been a lot more expressed combined with the heroic storyline of BM but I don't have any complain about the sincerity and selfless love between KT-MD. And like you I really love watching KT-MD scene in ep26 and all other KT-MD scenes in other episodes of this drama. I was crying a lot watching those scenes of KT-MD in ep 26 and I, personally,feel that JSY did a wonderful job here in the sense that she did not overdo it. Her muffled, silent crying on receiving her father's death in KT's arms and again in the tent afterwards is very much in line with her stubborn personality. It would be unrealistic and totally out of tune if she completely broke down and went hysteric on hearing her father's death because it is not her.  She would never be reduced to show her weakness in front of others, except for the only time that she put away her pride and principle to kneel down in front of Rie to beg Rie to save KT's life. That took a lot of courage and showed her deep love for KT that she was willing  to bring herself down in front of a love rival. Also I found nothing wrong with the silent send-away expression on MD"s face when her father and KT bid her farewell before going on their mission. When KT said that he was leaving for the capital city, you can see MD's eyes was clouding with tears but she quickly hide it with a smile and ask KT if he would be back in time for dinner as if she was willing her tears inwardly so that KT was not burdened with the thought of leaving her although she knew without having him explained to her in details that where he is going and what he is about to do will be very dangerous and it could be very last. A lot of people may have seen that because I am JSY's biased but honestly, although I admit that she is still young and inexperienced actress but she has displayed exemplanary control of MD's emotions by not going overboard with it because her character is one who just stands & gives unconditional love and support quietly behind ones who she loves with all heart & soul, being her father and KT. I think JSY was perfectly casted for the role of MD because her inexperience is also her strong point as her acting and character was not supposedly to overpower JW alias BM.

Guest sunshine4ever

@snguyenova, thank you so much for what you wrote about Mok Dan. You express well what I see in Mok Dan and maybe more. I have always think that KT admires her a lot of her courage and her loyalty. It shows in her actions so many times. She refused to say anything about Bridal Mask endless of times and to what you were saying about her repaying him so many times. I absolutely agree because all those times that she would rather be tortured than saying his whereabouts. I think the old KT wouldn't have love the old MD as the new one does because she made him fall for her even more because of her loyalty to her country and Bridal Mask. It was her that inspired him to be Bridal Mask, not just for his family, but for his country too. Dare me to say that he kept on wearing that mask to rescue her because he admired her so much, but that desire becomes bigger and bigger as he encountered people of her world. That is why I think Mok Dan caused a beautiful love to happen because she brought out the very good in him. He loves her that is why the goodness comes out. She loves hero, and he wants to be a hero for her (well, initially it was like that since she kept calling him Young Master when she met him initially under the forest and after that, he kept wearing on that mask to save her so many times.)

I just recently watched a music video, if you wish you can view it here:

it is a beautiful music video in which I think expresses who Mok Dan is really well.  Of her being strong and her resistance to love, yet having to love Kang To so much eventually when she knows that he is her Young Master. All her beating him (Kang To from the beginning) and all her splitting to him. Her attitudes just completely changed once she found out that Kang To is her Young Master. I was wondering why their love was so violent, heart-wrenching, yet so calm and gentle now in episode 26. I just see a whole different transformation. Even Kang To, too, when he was around her. He keeps on smiling even though inside he is bleeding. I agree with you about him being selfless. For me he is a wounded person, yet continued to smile and heal people with his smile.

And the scene in episode 26, where she heard about her dad dying he immediately turned back and held her. She was kinda teary, but turned away. However, later she broke down and cried and he went to comfort her. For her to be in so much pain of losing her dad, yet allowed him to be free to do whatever that he wishes/desires to is so selfless. I agree with you on this one. After watching it I was wondering why we always love heroes so much yet we never thought of the women of the heroes of war? Those women who let their men went and fought for freedom inside of them are lots of heart pain, too.

I might have to devote a long post for episode 26 later because I think episode 26 has way too many good scenes. It's so subtle and not as fast-paced as 25, but it has a lot of depths.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts/insights/ideas. Please continue to share. I would love to read your insight. :)

I actually added stuffs to what I wrote and so I highlighted it in red. I didn't do it in red for attention, but just to show you I edited what I wrote. I wish I have more time to go more on Mok Dan and Kang To.

snguyenova said:

..when I translate conversations between KT-MD,I don't use anh/em because I think it is more appropriate when KT refers to himself as mình  and addresses MD as cậu…This is why I dwell on their tình bạn (friendship) as much as tình yêu (love).

MD's words: 'To me..that it hurts..that you're having a hard time..it is okay even if you say more than that. Pretending that it does not hurt, …that you are not having a hard time..Please don't be like that, Young Master'When I listen to those words, I can hear such a tender affection…love towards a friend, towards a lover, towards a person you care about more than anything else.

Mokdan: Đối với mình ...đau đớn ... vất vả ..Hơn thế Cậu chủ cũng có thể nói được với mình. Làm như không đau ... không vất vả ..Cậu chủ đừng làm điều đó 
Kangto: Trước mặt mình...làm như không đau ... không vất vả …Xin cậu đừng làm điều đó....Mạnh mẽ lên ..Boon Yi phải mạnh mẽ lên . ..Vì cậu mình mới có sức chiến đấu, cậu biết chứ?
'

Guest husna_ryu

Hi guys... I love how this thread progresses fast..! o_OAnyway, does anyone know the real name of Comrade Ahn (if I'm not mistaken, that's his name) ?He first appeared with the beautiful kick-richard simmons comrade girl and he always wore black clothes.He just caught my attention and his fighting skill is mad awesome!So, if anyone can help telling me his name, I'd appreciate it so much! :)Thank you!

Guest united06

Hi Everyone,

Bridal Mask Episodes 25-26 English Soft-Sub Subtitles are out.

image-787C_4FC62E71.jpg

Bridal Mask Episodes 25-26 English Subtitles is a Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4767-bridal-mask-2012/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Guest Kang1430291830

i have a feeling that lee kang to and mok dan will die at the end, but i think there's going to be an epilouge about japan surrenduring and probably a scene where shunji and other high ranked people are going to get executed. this is what i think.

810a19d8bc3eb135a05c993ba61ea8d3fc1f4492

Source: Enews

Translated from Korean to Chinese: minidadalove

Joo Won, the Genuine Instrument, Becoming the Uprising Lucky Star

Through KBS Bridal Mask and National Variety show KBS 1N2D, Joo Won has conscientiously left a good impression. Of late, he has been called the super rising lucky star. Among the 20th generation of actors, having the acting chops and the quality of a star, he has started to have a firm seat in the audience’s hearts. He meets with Enew reporter(some title being mentioned).

Joo Won, the high school student with dreams of being an actor

Joo Won did not just burst into the scene like a comet. Because he wanted to change his introvert nature, with the support of his parents, from middle school year 3, he stepped into the world of drama, starting his dream to be an actor. He entered first into an Arts and Drama high school then Sungkyunkwan University, studying theatre and arts. Because he wanted to do what he loves, in university, he worked harder than anyone, and acted in many plays progressing towards the bigger stage. With his love for singing, Joo Won started his activities with a group –Frees in 2005, but the real work came in 2006 with the musical “Altar Boyz”. In university, under the push of his seniors, he join the audition of ‘Altar Boyz”, armed with singing and acting ability, he naturally landed a role. However the professional stage is unforgiving. Even though he suffered setbacks, he never gave up. From the musical “Singles” , he started to get back his confidence. He even starred in “Spring Awakening” as the lead actor, with his good performance he became the blue chip in musical theatre world.

The Biggest Benefactor of “Baker King Kim Tak Gu”

At the time he was acting in “Spring Awakening” , in 2010 he signed on with Sim Entertainment Agency, becoming colleagues with Kim Yun Seok, Uhm Jung Hwa, etc sunbaes. With his height of 185cm, full of charismatic good looks and acting ability, he firmly attracted the attention of Sim Entertainment Agency representative Shen. After his signing, he quickly became the limelight.

Within one month of signing the contract, he took on the role of the male lead in Baker King Kim Tak Gu, the antagonist Ma Jun.

In Baker King Kim Tak Gu press conference, this artiste named Joo Won attracted the attention of many reporters. For the first time standing on a big stage completely from that of a musical, looking very much like Kang Dong Won, his bright and strong personality and clear voice left a deep impression.

With the broadcast of Baker King, Joo Won received the concern of viewers and won their love. Ma Jun’s craving for love, but only knowing hate, displaying these exquisite feelings, he become the antagonist that one is unable to hate. Obtaining the best result in viewership of more than 50%. Many people felt that the biggest benefactor is Joo Won, gradually being recognized by everyone, the advertisements, movies and dramas all came flooding in.

In the movie, Special Investigation Unit, acting as the FBI agent, the cool criminologist. Attracting 1.18 million viewers and receiving precious results from his first foray into movies.

Compared to being in the movie, Joo Won is even more vivid in dramas. In KBS “Ojakgyo Brothers’, he played Hwang Tae Hee, displaying many abilities and indeed added depth to his role. Losing his parents, growing up under the care of his grandmother, unable to act like a child, at the same time unable to throw aside the hurt of being abandoned by his biological parents, the show allowed Joo Won to show his acting prowess. Perfecting the suppressed character Hwang Tae Hee, Joo Won has a firm hold on the audience’s hearts.

Winning the hearts of the audience, hitting a viewership of 36.3%, he has again demonstrated his potential. His chemistry and devotion when acting alongside his co-stars, his unique acting skills is praiseworthy. With Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers, the success of these 2 dramas, he has received the title of “The Winner”

Bridal Mask’s Joo Won+ 2N1D’s Joo Won = Genuineness

The drama Bridal Mask to Joo Won is a gain but also a poison. The period drama Bridal Mask allowed Joo Won to display his range of acting skills, and proves that he is a multi-talented actor. The genre of the drama has also received a lot of love from audience of various ages.

However, it can become a stumbling block to one who aspires to be a Hallyu star in Japan.

Although to our nation, the Bridal Mask character is a hero, to the eyes of the Japanese, he is a terrorist. This is a piece of work that will inhibit the popularity of a star in Japan. Many actors have thus rejected the role. Of course, those who participated in the drama all had their own standards. But rather than just aspiring to be a Hallyu star, Joo Won wants more to be an actor.

As an actor, will you not desire to have a good piece of work? This genuine attitude has been demonstrated on 1N2D.  Rather than create an certain image, he worked hard and slowly but patiently showed his true self. Becoming the maknae, learning each  and everything alongside his hyungs. Though shy but with his hardworking manner, he receives good response from the audience.

Not as the actor Joo Won but as the sincere and genuine young man Joo Won, he undoubtedly became the cute maknae of 1N2D. Being aegyoistic with his mother, saying “Bbyong” on the phone; sleeping like a baby on hyung Kim Seung Woo’s bosom; taking off his cap revealing a bird nest like hair; his burning desire to win during Bokbulbok games, he has demonstrated the passion of the 20th generation.

Not cunning, doesn’t act smart, displaying an earnest and steady manner. Genuine is the word to describe Joo Won. He has displayed the potential of even finer works in the future, ascending to the position of a A listed star in Korea. 

Interview with Park Ki Woong
http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0262/v/swf/loader.swf?VideoIDS=XNDQ1NzgwMDA4&embedid=MTIxLjcuMTczLjE2NAIxMTE0NDUwMDICdGllYmEuYmFpZHUuY29tAi9wLzE4MzQ0Nzg0NzA%3D&wd=

no source or subs translator credited. 

Q: Is acting the antagonist very tiring?

PKW: Yes, it is. I am physically exhausted but the toll it takes on my mind is even worse.

This role is not an ordinary one, there is a lot of complexities in the emotions. Apart from the difficulty in acting this, the most important thing is not to let the audience feel repulsed. This is a very big hurdle so I put in even more effort. The pressure comes from acting as the antagonist, I want to show even better acting skills. And when it comes to torturing the characters, I feel a lot of pressure. Tired to the point that I cannot sleep. And when it gets very intense, you just feel totally exhausted.

Q: How to relieve the burden that comes with playing the antagonist?

PKW: Now, there is no time. A lot of things are piling up, so there is no time to relieve the stress. To be honest, I don’t want to be like this. Our managers, the cast and people around us are all becoming sensitive. Me too. When this drama ends, although it will be good to continue to produce more works and not take a rest, this time it will be really necessary to take time to recharge and cast off this role. It is really mystifying that acting this role till now, all the while filming at such intense levels,  I become very emotionally involved with the character. It’s like on one hand I want to get rid of it and on the other, I actually fell in love with the role.

But I really hate the character of Shunji, acting this role is really hateful. It is very tiring, very hard to understand this character. It is like love and hate at the same time. I have to be responsible for this role and yet I want to be rid of Shunji as soon as possible.

In my 10 years’ in acting, this is the first time I am feeling this way. During this period, I also acted in some similar roles but never have I felt so strongly to be rid of a character and sort out myself. To hate a character this strong so much, it is my first time. I feel every person has two sides to their personality. But if it is like in this show where there exists such an individual with so many facets to his personality, I think he will be a criminal or a murderer in society. I don’t think such a person exists in real life, that will be a very special situation.

Now in my heart, there is 2 sides of personalities clashing continuously with each other. Towards this show, I feel that if you just use your common sense or knowledge to take on the role, it is impossible to do. I am rather torn. On the other hand, if I give my very best and yet the viewership is not good, that will be a big problem. Because this show requires me to improvise, I need to be responsible. How to bring the narrative of this character to the audience? In reality, I find it very hard to understand the character of Shunji.

Q: To play the role of the antagonist, “My Special Method” is..?

PKW: Acting as the antagonist is very tiring. I have played such roles before and there were all rather difficult. I have also discussed this with actors who specialized in such roles. In reality 99% of my roles are not the antagonist. But it is just that there are some roles that are. Acting as the antagonist, displaying anger and rage are all harder and more burdensome. These actors who play the antagonist all deserve respect. The special method is to refer to the situation and whole heartedly interpret the role. Bring the uniqueness of the character to the audience.

Q: Do you envy Joo Won’s kiss scenes?

PKW: Joo Won has a lot of kissing scenes. Actually I have also filmed many kiss scenes, there is nothing to envy. But……this is sounding funny. If I were to say I am envious, it will be more interesting, right? But I don’t think that way. In reality, all those kiss scenes I have done, I don’t have much impression. Yes, I have filmed before. You have to do with a lot of feelings of love. I am the type who is brief(really don’t understand the meanng). Many a times, the female lead has to be pretty. You must also pay attention to the focal distance and the angle. So in order to meet all these requirements, there are kiss scenes which can be frustrating. Hence, in the end, it became that I have little impression of these kiss scenes.

Dear viewers, now there are many people who love Bridal Mask. The feeling is that many people involved in this drama are very busy. All the production crew, the entire cast are putting their best effort in filming. Please give your support in this short remaining days of the drama

Guest nhatkhanh

@mrdimples thanks for your translated interview that you have posted. I'm rite here to translate them to spread Joo Won's charms out hihihi

Guest sunshine4ever

@mrdimples, thank you so much for your translations. I hope you will have some good rest, too. Please rest well. Here are two pictures of Joo Won for you. I think one was posted once, but still I just want to post them again as I saw them at Gaksital DC Inside. I think you are one brave soul to embrace this Kangto. :) What did they do get Joo Won's face to look so light here. I tried to do it with my graphic editor and it just didn't work. >__< So if I captured like I did couple days back, his face would look so dark.

I'm gonna read your news tomorrow. It looks so long and good. Joo Won looks so handsome there.

2wnblev.jpg
1749w1.jpg

pictures credit to Bridal Mask DC Inside

Guest sunshine4ever

@snguyenova, thank you so much for your analysis of Rie and Shunji. I never thought of Shunji as selfish. I just thought that he was one of those happy-go-lucky-guy just like Kangto. You know I thought both were just kinda more of the naive type, but now that you brought up about Shunji like that makes me think through differently. Maybe it is true that he was selfish given the education he had and he chose to live an easier life unlike his brother who had to be burdened to follow his dad. Perhaps and that was why he was so regretful when his brother died. And then he was so hurt that he blamed everything on Bridal Mask. But before I couldn't comprehend why he would go so crazy. Thanks so some other people in this thread who talked about it and I can sympathize with him given his hurt.

You told me that you've read my posts, so I don't think I should repeat stuffs I wrote before. I realized that you read a lot of my posts. Oh my. I'm so grateful to have you start talking. Thank you soooooooo much. You bring me from the top to the very bottom of this drama. I see new perspectives from you and I think they are deep and insightful. I like the conversation between Rie & Shunji in episode 26 how he told her that he has no other way. I felt so sorry for Shunji given where he is right now. He has no turning back. Either he kill Kangto/Dong Jin/Yang Baek or he will die. Remember that the sword had always been on him. Poor character indeed. What can I say? Originally I thought that Shunji and Kangto could mend their relationship, but that kind of thought is just too naive. There is a huge organization between Shunji and Kangto. They have no other choices, but to just move forward with the path they have chosen prior. Which is why the scene between KT & SJ where KT was captured is important. I think it was also difficult for Kangto, too, given the fact that he knew towards the end he would have to meet SJ and that was why he said that he was glad SJ captured him. Even though KT told Mok Dan that he is relieved that he doesn't have to live that double life anymore. I know deep inside it hurt him to lose a friend like Shunji. Poor soul. He's lucky he has got Mok Dan to hold on to. I like the scene where she was visiting him for the first time at Dong Jin camp. The moment he saw her, he just wanted to walk to her, but then he couldn't so she dropped her heels and immediately walked towards him. She looked at him with such a compassionate look and asked him if he was feeling okay in which he said he was, but he was not. I think that was the line that she told him that you translated for me in Vietnamese. :)

Additionally, I just wanted to say that I saw a lot of endurance between Kangto and Mokdan ever since episode 18 until now. I also saw lots of traces of Mokdan protecting Kangto. I am so afraid she will die protecting him. The scriptwriter/director put in some scenes and I recalled a lot of scenes where she was just behind him, supporting him, and trying to protect him. I was hoping that Mokdan could talk some sense to Shunji, but it's impossible for some reasons because he was so blind by his jealousy. I think Rie did it well for Shunji, then in episode 26 when she was trying to explain Mokdan's love for Kangto. But the result is just really the same. Shunji got no other way and so is KT's. So I guess we will just have to wait for our last showdown of KT & SJ.

Please do not feel obligated in anyway to reply to me. Thank you for generously writing per my request. :)

@mrdimples great job u hav done translating tat piece of news. Although Chinese is my mother tongue, i find it a bit tedious to digest tat article the fans on baidu had translated fr korean. They always use BIG words which i may understand but sometimes difficult to translate into English. Thank u so much ^:)^

Did u manage to find tat thread on baidu tat i told abt yesterday?

sunshine4ever said: @mrdimples, thank you so much for your translations. I hope you will have some good rest, too. Please rest well. Here are two pictures of Joo Won for you. I think one was posted once, but still I just want to post them again as I saw them at Gaksital DC Inside. I think you are one brave soul to embrace this Kangto. :) What did they do get Joo Won's face to look so light here. I tried to do it with my graphic editor and it just didn't work. >__< So if I captured like I did couple days back, his face would look so dark.

I'm gonna read your news tomorrow. It looks so long and good. Joo Won looks so handsome there.

pictures credit to Bridal Mask DC Inside

Guest trixicopper

These are just my thoughts on where we may end up next week with the finale of Gaksital.
!. The odds are that we get some sort of epilogue ending. Which works for me since in the timeline it seems we're still several years away from the end of WW2, and the Japanese aren't leaving Korea until 1945.
2. Kishokai (sp?) needs to be destroyed. Bye-bye President Ueno.( and his scary evil Samurai henchman)
3.Rie- If she makes it out alive I will be surprised. Though I would like to see her go down doing something for the good guys. 
4 The Kimura's father and son: Taro for sure goes down. Personally I would like Nanny to be the who does it! (serves him right the @#$*&! )Shunji: He has gone so far over to the dark side I don't see how he can be redeemed in the final act. Even if a part of him realizes the monster he has become, he has steadfastly continued down the road he chose to travel. I hope that it doesn't have to be Kang to who kills him though.
5. Kang to and Mok dan: I would give 60/40 odds that they are still alive at the end of the drama. I would give higher odds if this wasn't a K drama. They seem to have a tendency to kill off their heroes in the end. I really hope that the writers resist that urge this time, because it would just break my heart.
  I think the show has made it very clear that these were very difficult and challenging years for the Korean people. But I do think they need to leave us with hope for the future. People did live through it, even people in the Independence movement. Allthough there is probably going to be a fairly high body count on both sides leading to the finale. What I would like to see in the end is Kishokai destroyed, the Independence movement on the rise and our OTP continuing the fight together. We will know by Thursday. By the way, is it Wednesday yet?  :)  

Archived