[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

^BINGO!!~ exactly what i want to say~ i love and hate both shunji and kangto for all different reasons but shunji def wasnt attacking kangto just bcoz he thinks kangto is heartless but its because he misunderstood kangto's statement~
kangto doesnt know that mokdan is esther,nor does shunji knows that mokdan is boonyi~(seriously i blame it all on the name!~ if she just had one name,this would not have happend at all!) kangto,though he have heard of esther from shunji,doesnt know that THE ESTHER is the mokdan he have been torturing all this while~and i dont even think that shunji knows theres such an existence as boonyi since boonyi is supposedly dead according to kangto,who just found out recently the girl he thought dead is actually alive and well under his torture~ 
ah ep 6 killed me,i killed my twitter feed on live viewing bcoz i was cursing,crying and all on twitter~ :(

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest flipz

At above comment... if MD had only one name, she would most likely be dead. Her father is one of the leaders of the independence movement. Just like how KT and KS and the mother would have been long dead if they kept their original name. Koshikai is after anyone that knows about "the event" 13 years ago.

@Kennedy21: I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your point, but what I meant was that Shunji was shocked that Kang To shot his own first love, Boon Yi. Shunji thought that Kang To was bluffing and half-drunk when he said he was going to kill his (Kang To's) first love to gain Bridal Mask. Ironically, whatever indirect jinxing Kang To said to Shunji that night did happen after-all. So Shunji was mad at Kang To not because Kang To shot his Esther, but rather because he was shocked that his own friend didn't have humane feelings for the Boon Yi that he kept talking about. Like, Shunji thinks his friend is crazy. Of course, the audience knows that Mok Dan was in disguise, but I'm pretty sure Shunji didn't know the whole back-story to why Kang To shot Mok Dan.

I believe Shunji was able to connect the dots from the get-go when Kang To revealed that the girl he's after all this time is his first love, Boon Yi. Shunji then knew that Kang To was after his Esther because he was the one who saved Esther from Kang To. However, Shunji dismissed the thought of telling Kang To that it's his Esther, and that they both like the same girl. So now both Shunji and Kang To know that Mok Dan is their first love - haha. I hope I'm not confusing you even further ^^;.

Thanks for posting the translation for the preview. I honestly can't wait!

Hopefully I won't be spoiled to much when visiting this topic because I'm only at ep 2 right now and I like the series so far though it's still a bit confusing of course.

Now I was wondering something.. in the series they talk about 'Joseon People' but what do they mean exactly? I mean the drama is set in the 1930 and at that time the Joseon Dynasty was already over. Does that mean those people want the old system and classes back or? And Lee Kang To seems to be a joseon but his family is against it..and the joseon are against the normal Korean people and visa versa?!

Who can clear this up for me without spoiling?

Dudie, Joseon people are the same thing as Korean people. People's love for Joseon is the same as wanting independence from the Japanese. Lee Kang-to serves as a policeman for the Japanese, therefore, his job is to tame his own Joseon/Korean people, not letting them go against the Japanese government. There is no dynasty at that time anymore, but the word Joseon is still widely used. There are only 2 sides: Japanese vs Korean/Joseon. Go read Dramabean's recaps if that helps.

At above comment... if MD had only one name, she would most likely be dead. Her father is one of the leaders of the independence movement. Just like how KT and KS and the mother would have been long dead if they kept their original name. Koshikai is after anyone that knows about "the event" 13 years ago.

Guest altinneen

KT's mom prolly wouldn't have died if she didn't run into that dudes gun. Shunji's bro didn't shoot her after the the count down was over and honestly he looked kinda shocked when she got shot. Which makes me wonder why the f' she jumped into his gun. 2 min later a dude comes and tells him that Bridal Mask attacked the bank car so he stops suspecting KT's brother at that moment anyways. 
KT's brother was shot and killed by KT right?
So when KT kills Shunji's brother in revenge it's weird cause his mom kinda shot herself and KT's the one that shot and killed his brother....
Now Shunji's brother did try to kill him a couple times so he prolly was right to kill him just off of that...but it made it seem like he was just venting his own blood lust.
It's also a little too convenient that the beautiful assassin girl also has a past incident with KT. Why is it always necessary to have some implausible/contrived back story. Why couldn't she just like the dude cause she thinks he's hot. The dude just randomly happened to stumble into a tea party and save her...lame.Speaking of that assassin girl though...she's hot as hell. I believe she's far better looking than the lead female. She was in the show "Hero" that came out this year right. I'm a big fan

Guest flipz

@ Dudie
I would probably use dramabeans after each episode instead of using these forums until you're caught up, it would ruin the suprises if you looked here in this thread.
http://www.dramabeans.com/tag/gaksital/

@ altinneen
The mother was probably convinced that Kenji was going to kill Kang-san either way so she did what she thought was the best way to protect her son. Her intuitions were proven a few scenes later between Kenji and Kasoi in the car when he said that he only wanted to kill the older brother and not the mother.

As much as I want to agree with you about the past between Rei and KT, it makes sense as part of her character that she would like him for that. At that point in her flashback, she was just a gisaeng without power and he came in to aid her without any thoughts of ramification. She was betrayed in the past and now probably has trust issues, but he helped her and she was truly humbled. She's used to guys hitting on her and he walked right by her without even looking at her episode 4. She fell for him hard.

KT's mom prolly wouldn't have died if she didn't run into that dudes gun. Shunji's bro didn't shoot her after the the count down was over and honestly he looked kinda shocked when she got shot. Which makes me wonder why the f' she jumped into his gun. 2 min later a dude comes and tells him that Bridal Mask attacked the bank car so he stops suspecting KT's brother at that moment anyways. 

So when KT kills Shunji's brother in revenge it's weird cause his mom kinda shot herself and KT's the one that shot and killed his brother....

Now Shunji's brother did try to kill him a couple times so he prolly was right to kill him just off of that...but it made it seem like he was just venting his own blood lust.

It's also a little too convenient that the beautiful assassin girl also has a past incident with KT. Why is it always necessary to have some implausible/contrived back story. Why couldn't she just like the dude cause she thinks he's hot. The dude just randomly happened to stumble into a tea party and save her...lame.Speaking of that assassin girl though...she's hot as hell. I believe she's far better looking than the lead female. She was in the show "Hero" that came out this year right. I'm a big fan

Guest united06

Hi Everyone,

Bridal Mask Episodes 5-6 English Soft-Sub Subtitles are out.

image-787C_4FC62E71.jpg

Bridal Mask Episodes 5-6 English Subtitles is a Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4767-bridal-mask-2012/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

((( Episodes 01-06)))

"Bridal Mask (2012) Softsubs"

Subtitles brought to you by:...

"The Bridal Mask Team" ~

The softsubs are synced as labeled.

The individual RapidShare links for the softsubs...

KBS2.Bridal.Mask.E01.H264.720p-HANrel.EN.srt

KBS2.Bridal.Mask.E02.H264.720p-HANrel.EN.srt

KBS2.Bridal.Mask.E03.H264.720p-HANrel.EN.srt

KBS2.Bridal.Mask.E04.H264.720p-HANrel.EN.srt

KBS2.Bridal.Mask.E05.H264.720p-HANrel.EN.srt

KBS2.Bridal.Mask.E06.H264.720p-HANrel.EN.srt

I don't think MD should be blamed for being too much of a damsel in distress. I mean she's just a young weak girl with no money, power, or education trying to rebel against the Japanese in a Japanese dominated world. Of course she'd be kicked and thrown around a few times, considering there are people willing to betray her for money. She's weak, physically yes, but she has a strong will, which I think, makes KT love her even more. If she were all independent and could manage everything on her own, then our Heroic KT wouldn't be needed anymore, honestly. I kinda LOVE the scenes when he cares sooo much for her well being.         Also, Shunji shouldn't be blamed either. I think the actor portrays him really really well - passive and a goody two shoes. First of all, he doesn't know KT is Gaksital, so it makes sense for him to go bonkers seeing him murder his brother. Even if he did know, I wouldnt blame him either. Family is family, even if they're evil or not, Shunji loves his family a lot too. Also, since KT never talked about his first love BY, it makes sense for Shunji to think that everything revolves around him, especially when he loves MD so much. Without Shunji expressively showing his love for MD, KT would not be so jealous, and he'd probably would never approach MD, and they'd never be together. END of the romance. Finally, JW's portrayal of KT is PHENOMENAL. I love how he's not afraid of looking ugly or crazy during the dramatic scenes. He's still hot though <333 Although I'm soo rooting for a KT-MD ending, I cant wait to see how his relationship with Rie will turn out. Her character is such a great mystery. She has a gorgeous style though.        Kudos to the actor who plays KS. He did a wonderful job too! I can't help but notice he always plays the BIG brother tragic role. like stairway to heaven  and cain and abel for examples. 

Guest icegonzales

@laydeebutterfly - I see you're here. Have we officially gone out of hiding? Haha. (This is my first post in years. *sigh*)

First off, hi to everyone on this thread. I'm loving this drama with every new episode, I'm not a fan of any the actors in the cast but I think I am now, especially Joowon, I have to admit that I only know him thru 1N2D. In any case, just as I am enjoying this show I'm likewise tickled pink with the way the conversations in this thread is running. It's as engaging as the series. Much appreciation goes to the people who take their time to share goodies about Gaksital! 

Anyway on to the commentary, the trajectory of this drama is yet to be seen and with all the recent plot movements I'm very amazed that the show was gutsy enough to kill both remaining family members of KT in one depressing episode. Well technically the mother died at the end of the previous one but that's just semantics. The mom's death took me by surprise though because I thought that at the end of the day KT would still need his support group to tackle his new found purpose - wearing the mask and taking over what KS has done so far. In hindsight though and I've spazzed about this previously, I guess this is where MD fill come in to play. She's his only surviving connection to his past. And I am betting that he will do everything in his power to protect this - his road to forgiveness will be a tough one but this proves that the writers still have a lot to cover since we are still in the pre-mature stages of the story. 
I know that Gaksital is supposed to be a fusion of the original manhwa and the other creation of the maker which makes this drama's ending open for discussion. I for one, can not wait for the next episode. 
Lastly, I hope this drama gets to have more love in the future, the soompi posts are not enough! Here's to helping this thread get more popular, GAKSITAAAAAL! 
-edit-
@cinnyangangel - I can feel your passion in the way you explained all those in the previous pages. Kudos. Doesn't Dramabeans make the most awesome recaps and compelling commentaries? I am grateful that they did decide to pick up this drama.  

Guest Starlitelet

Sorry for my misunderstanding and confusion guys! Thanks for clearing it up @cinnyangel (:

Dudie, Joseon people are the same thing as Korean people. People's love for Joseon is the same as wanting independence from the Japanese. Lee Kang-to serves as a policeman for the Japanese, therefore, his job is to tame his own Joseon/Korean people, not letting them go against the Japanese government. There is no dynasty at that time anymore, but the word Joseon is still widely used. There are only 2 sides: Japanese vs Korean/Joseon. Go read Dramabean's recaps if that helps.

Guest -quiescent

So who's ready fess up they watched episode 6 more than once? Lol

I've watched it 3 times already from start to finish (w/subs) XD

Guest y101y

I can't wait for KT to develop as Gaksital. I love how the story is setting up all the characters. My favor couple got to be KT-MD, I feel like they are just meant to be together. Get this.. I don't even usually like "first love story", but there is something about them that makes me ship them so bad. I want them to finally live happily ever after. Doesn't true love live happily ever after?? in a Kdrama of course... :x

Guest Starlitelet

I'm so obsessed with this drama, it's not funny! 
Anyhow, I read some awesome stuff from tumblr and dramabeans, and I would like to share them.
"69 ohgodgaksital June 15th, 2012 at 1:46 am

Kangto has an ironic hatred towards Gaksital in that Gaksital represents all that the independence movement took away from him. The Kangto as a child, and even in that particular happy flashback with his hyung, struck me as idealistic. If you remember his confrontation in episode 3, he expresses his anger on those who call themselves as “patriotic” and then rob people of their lives and bring pain to their families in their so called selfish “patriotism.” Maybe he feels as if he was a fool to be idealistic, and that in all his efforts (supporting the cause, sacrificing his family) his hyung became mentally insane as a result of the cause, and his mother pitiful. It’s important to remember that those in power are not the only ones who cause harm, but even those members of the independence movement have gone crazy in their mission to exact revenge and claim back the country that was once theirs. They have no reservations in causing harm as well, seeing that they didn’t even seem to mind burning the house of their enemy, and not considering the casualties i.e. the mother and the “mentally-insane” hyung. The writer is genius portraying that accidental evil, which is not meant, but carries out, in that they meant to kill that enemy, but in reality they burned their hero’s house as well. The writer almost mocks them in their act of violence. Same way Kangto gets mocked, for picking his family over the cause, and then sacrificing his family in picking his family over the cause…OMG so much confusion. Even with all selfishness, Kangto is sacrificing himself, and in his hatred he is still too innocent.The main thing that ran through my mind as Kangto was breaking was how in his head it might have been put so innocently as “I will let my mother hate me now, but I will make it up to her later,” and then realizing that there was going to be no “later” for him. And how he focused and threw all his hatred of the world and their perception of him on this one object..Gaksital..and then later realizing that his object of his hatred was who he loved the most. This irony is a running theme of the show, the irony of believing and convincing yourself that you are fighting the evil and protecting the good, only to realize that the lines of evil and good cross, obscuring your ideals, even darkening them."

cr. dramabeans & ohgodgaksital

"heartwinkle:...

If it keeps it up, Lee Kang-to might just be the most complex character I’ve ever encountered in the history of my kdrama watching. Everything he’s done, all those facts, and all those actions make him out to be a monster. He abandoned his family, tortured his own people, shot his first love, shot his own brother, broke the neck of his best friend’s brother, and now he’s become mortal enemies with the only person he had left in the world who really sincerely cared about him— his dear best friend. And the real sad thing above it all, is that somewhere deep inside, he knows all along he’s a monster."

cr. tumblr & heartwinkle

Guest timpa

I was wondering if anyone could tell who are playing the child versions of Bong Yi and Kang To(Young). I looked at some other sites listing the cast, but couldn't seem to find it out.

Reading the preview for 7 I'm wondering if there's going to be a 'time-jump' or something because as this is based on a comic when you have someone assume the rule of a hero usually they go through some kind of training period. I would think at some point Kang To is going to have to face the samurai who came with Rie. Not sure what level of skill KT is currently at, but I wouldn't be surprised if the leader of that group came over to Korea and then KT would have to fight his samurai bodyguard who definitely had better skills when they fought the first time (in Rie's flashback)

So he needs training to 'skill-up'. His brother was better skilled in martial arts since he could fight KT and deliberately not try to hurt him even while KT was trying to hurt him. So KT needs to improve if he wants to carry on as Bridal Mask.

Archived