[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

Hello everyone, I've just been following this thread since episode 1. I've been hooked ever since and decided to make an account after watching episode 6, solely just for this thread. Episode 6 just left me speechless and emotional. I figure this is now the turning point of Kang to avenging for his family and fighting against the Japanese. Can't wait for next week, gah im so desperate for the next episode. By the way, anyone know what happened to Dam Sa Ri, Mok Dan's(Boon Yi) father? I recall him appearing only in the first episode. Do you think he will have a role in the upcoming episodes?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone, I've just been following this thread since episode 1. I've been hooked ever since and decided to make an account after watching episode 6, solely just for this thread. Episode 6 just left me speechless and emotional. I figure this is now the turning point of Kang to avenging for his family and fighting against the Japanese. Can't wait for next week, gah im so desperate for the next episode. By the way, anyone know what happened to Dam Sa Ri, Mok Dan's(Boon Yi) father? I recall him appearing only in the first episode. Do you think he will have a role in the upcoming episodes?

About Mok Dan's father I'm really interested what his relationship with Gaksital is and if he knows his real identity. When Gaksital came to the rescue during the trial it looked like Dam Sa Ri knew him and then when Kangsan escaped from the court building he was wearing the same type of robe as was Dam Sa Ri wearing when saying his goodbye to Mok Dan.

I remember someone asking what is going to happen in the next 18 episodes when Kang To becomes Gaksital so fast with his whole family passing away, however, I think there is so much story to tell just like the above mentioned Dam Sa Ri's involvement with Kangsan or for instance, how exactly Lee Young became Lee Kang To, and many others. Moreover all the relationships are so complicated, where everyone has his/her own secrets and objectives and I think substantial part of the story will show how the characters come to realize all of this and struggle with the implications for their lives.

About Mok Dan's father I'm really interested what his relationship with Gaksital is and if he knows his real identity. When Gaksital came to the rescue during the trial it looked like Dam Sa Ri knew him and then when Kangsan escaped from the court building he was wearing the same type of robe as was Dam Sa Ri wearing when saying his goodbye to Mok Dan.

I remember someone asking what is going to happen in the next 18 episodes when Kang To becomes Gaksital so fast with his whole family passing away, however, I think there is so much story to tell just like the above mentioned Dam Sa Ri's involvement with Kangsan or for instance, how exactly Lee Young became Lee Kang To, and many others. Moreover all the relationships are so complicated, where everyone has his/her own secrets and objectives and I think substantial part of the story will show how the characters come to realize all of this and struggle with the implications for their lives.

Guest alysanne

@vDrak: It's great that you pointed out the editing, because that's one of the things I really like about Gaksital.  They've had the benefit of having several episodes shot before the premiere, so they really have enough time to devote to making sure each episode is edited well.  I hope they're well ahead of the broadcast schedules so we can continue to have quality episodes like the 1st 6 so far! :)
I agree with the member who said that City Hunter feels like a Disney movie compared to Gaksital.  I like that this drama is taking bold strides into territory that City Hunter seemed to avoid.  Of course, I don't think CH would've been justified in doing what Gaksital does here, considering that his revenge arc is, in reality, not his own.  What happens here in Gaksital is more powerful because our hero experiences it all first hand, and therefore we can at least get behind his cause.  Not so much with CH.

Guest nauna

This drama, the last 2 episodes especially, is so thick with tragic irony.

KT aligns himself with the occupying regime in order to provide for and protect his family, creating a rift between himself and his family and people, but then the side he works for  ends up being responsible for his mother's death. Because he works for the Imperial gov't., his brother doesn't trust him enough to reveal his alter ego as Gaskital, and because he doesn't know the truth, KT hunts down Gaskital and unknowingly kills his own brother while at the same time saving the life of the man who shot his mother. His own people, who justifiably hate him, then burn his house down.He loses mother, brother, home, and purpose all in one giant blow. He then assumes his brother's alter ego in order to exact revenge on his mother's killer, who happens to be his best friends brother, and kills him right in front of said best friend. Setting the stage for irreparable conflict between the two.  @-) But wait...there's more... He also finds out he and his best friend share the same first love. They don't recognize each other when they meet again and he slaps, tortures, and verbally abuses her. He finally realizes who she is, but she still doesn't recognize him, and now loathes his ever-living guts and she tries to kill him, so he (albeit unknowingly), shoots and almost kills her.  #-o

It can't get much more dark and twisty then that, can it?          What you said!  Dark and twisted all the way through.    I am wondering what it says about me though, because I'm loving every dark and twisted moment!

Joowon's acting skills are absolutely amazing. The emotional breakdown that he went through in the most recent episode really showed that is a great actor. I've been waiting for him to snap out of that Jap mutt self of his. 

wow..what an emotional roller coaster today's episode was...i was crying so much, prob used up the whole box of tissues :((
i didn't expect KS to be eliminated so early in the series although that dis make the tide turn and get KT to where he needs to be but not in such a manner...poor poor KT..i can't imagine the guilt he'll be living with now that he killed his own brother :-S
so much death this episode and one kept leading to the other...leaves me speechless and kinda curious as to what kinda story will develop for the rest of the  series now that KT was finally established as Gaksital
All in all awesomest episode thus far and anxiously waiting for next week...is it Wednesday yet?????? :!!

Guest ricecak3

All in all awesomest episode thus far and anxiously waiting for next week...is it Wednesday yet?????? :!!

I have this slightest hope that Shunji will still be a good guy at the end of the drama. I don't want him to turn bad!!! Maybe if he doesn't know why Gaksital did what he did to Kenji and later finds out, he will understand Kangto and still be friends. Yeah I know I'm hoping for something nearly impossible here haha. 
Yesterday's episode marks the first time Gaksital has ever killed anyone. The Imperial Government is gonna clamp down on him like crazy now. 

Guest alysanne

^^So right now, I guess it's safe to say that the main villains of the story is Kimura's secret organization?

Guest sunshine4ever

FULL RATINGS

6th episode

AGBNationwide: 

15,0%

(+0,5%) - 1st in this ranking in slot 21:55-23:10Seoul: 

15,7%

(+0,3%) - 1st

TNSNationwide: 

15,5%

(+1,7%) - 1stSeoul: 

16,3%

(+2,2%) - 1st

SBS Ghost - AGB: 

12,2% / 13,7%

; TNS:

13,1% / 16,0%

MBC I Do, I Do - AGB:

9,2% / 10,6%

; TNS: 

9,0% / 11,3%

Seriously, this show should come with a health disclaimer. 
episode 5, I made the mistake of not visiting the loo before the show started and ended up with an overstressed bladderepisode 6, I made sure I visited the loo but forgot to breathe while watching the show. Then during the crying scenes, I inhaled and exhaled so deeply that I think i scarred some lung tissue
maybe I should make a trip to Baek Geon's house, he seems to have a mini A&E trauma unit there. Who knows, I may run into Kang To cos next week this poor chap is going to get shot. I can then nurse his poor battered body and soul back to health since the closest Mok Dan can do now is don a nurse uniform. 
pray...can Wednesday come faster? even if it means I age faster and get big eye bags from crying and hitting the replay button well beyond bedtime. Which brings me back to the health disclaimer. 

Guest flipz

Spoiler Warning

6 episodes that blew our minds, and we're only 25% done folks.

And not only is Rei bad***, but her bodyguard is too. I also love how it wasn't love in first sight for Rei in episode 4, but there's a back story to it. She was truly humbled that Kang-to saved her life in the flashback. I am somewhat disappointed they have not officially met yet, but that's why there's 18 episodes left, yay. Please finally meet on episode 7!!! Preeettttyyyyyy Pleeeeasssseeeeee?!?!?!?(P.S. Rei be a sweetheart and make the love triangle into a love square kthxbye)

Where Kang-san as Bridal Mask played the theme of revenge and pride, Kang-to as Bridal Mask will play the theme of redemption. He will probably be scarred for life killing his brother, but he will carry on his legacy to finish out his deed. Maybe it will be too big a burden at first, but he will want to redeem himself for the sake of his family. He will want to redeem to the Joseon people who have hated him for betraying his own land. And finally, he wants redemption with Mok-Dan. Things are looking really bleak for him with his recent past encounters with MD. He is also conflicted since he knows that his best friend really loves her. I am curious as to how he will handle this situation.

Can't wait for 7 and 8!

Guest Starlitelet

Come to think of it, both Shunji and Kang To are going to reprise their brother's role. Their paths will most likely diverge from now on.

Guest sunshine4ever

OK, I SWEAR I WAS HAVING A MENTAL/EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN FROM THE OVERLOAD OF DRAMA.
And that's coming from someone who has only seen it in raw. 
Oh my golly, it's like a drama packed on top of drama that's packed on top of craziness... Seriously, Bridal Mask revolves around more dramas than A LOT of standalone dramas I know! How the hell are they able to keep up with the suspense? I give a standing ovation to my computer screen the geniuses behind this project. Bridal Mask is the kind of drama that makes me believe that my faith in Korean dramas has not been wasted after-all; it just requires a bit of patience ;). Judging from the 6 episodes thus far, it is much better than some of the 16-24 episode dramas out nowadays. I tell you, quality over quantity.
Ok, so back to episode 6. 
We thought that Kang To had it bad when his mother died from that wretched Kenji, but no, the writer(s) want to add more tension. So what do they do? They make Kang To protect the man who killed his mother by killing his own brother. Is that twisted enough? No, let's make it worst! Kang To finds out immediately that his mother is also dead. There must be questions after questions spiraling in his mind. Sadly, he didn't even have time to sort out his business. He realizes right away who killed his mother thanks to that guy. He then gets knocked out in a blur. Low and behold, he awakes, and instead of being calmed down, he sees fire set to his house along with his dead family. W.T.H? He didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to his mother and brother properly. Now, don't tell me that's not bad enough. It's worst than bad. I used to think the quote, "And yet to every bad, there is a worse" applies to my scenarios, but hell no to Kang To. He has been knocked down to the far pit of hell within a span of a couple of hours. I wanted to hug my screen when I saw his face all like that...
All I can think about is Joo Won's poor face.... his face contortions when he found out about his brother and mother's deaths... GAHH. Heck, when he wore the mask, and did all the bad** moves on Kenji at the station, I was punching the air myself! Shunji also looked so awesome when he pulled out the sword! Shunji vs Kangto made me have goosebumps.That's how much I'm feeling the character, phewww. I seriously didn't want it to end. This episode flew by too quickly. I didn't even want to blink.

Archived