Quantcast
ecs707a

[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

I like the Kangto x Mokdan pairing but the only thing that's maybe lacking is... Mokdan's emotions' potrayal. Kangto (Joo Won) expresses his feelings so intense that I can feel the fire burn in my skin but with Mokdan, its like... ok, *bleeh* Even their first kiss, only Kangto gives all he got, and Mokdan was like, standing there like a pole. I don't know, maybe because she's young? But really, how can you just stand there like a pole while being kissed by the man that you love. Geeh... I'll be like moving too and maybe placing may hand on his shoulder or something. *or maybe I'm just pervy, lol* I really feel Kangto there, but Mokdan ... *what, subscriber cannot be reach?* its so so. And when Kangto is lying in her arms, she could at least part some of his hair or just trail his face with her hand and that should have been perfect. *maybe I was just watching too many romance movies* And even in the hospital... the holding hands is so nice but, really, its always Kangto where I feel all the love waves. *now I'm trying to emote while staring at the wall, it should be like that, lol.*  Anyway this is just my thoughts.

stoffkimba

said:First of all: thank you for writing so much on the topic!!!

:)

orz It's really interesting to be able to discuss this topic, especially with people who know what's going down and haven't just been aware of it since like the last GST preview.

;)

@ Wikipedia or internet resources in general:

What was I supposed to do? Scan a book or something?

;)

(Or even better: just write something and give no sources?) My posts are overly long even with me linking left and right. *sigh* (I need ages to open my mouth, but when I do, it's hard to get me to shut up.

;)

)

Apart from that: YES! Of course. But, and I am going to go bold just to make that point:

We also have to be careful when reading books and newspaper articles. Just because it's printed and maybe a journalist or professor wrote the text does NOT mean it isn't biased!!!

Everything has to be read/watched with a healthy does of scepticism. People tend to forget that and that's dangerous. (Sometimes it's not even the writers fault. I've read quite a bit on the Japanese emperor Hirohito / Showa. Before his death researchers tended to say that he was just a puppet in the hands of the military. After his death new material became available, people spoke up - and suddenly you get researchers going on about what an ugly faced despot the man was. Suposedly. It's kind of amusing, really, how "benign and handsome Showa" turned into "bug-eyed, stooped and totally vile and ugly Hirohito" within the space of just a few years. We'll probably never know the whole truth, but reading all these disagreeing accounts and opinions gives us at least an inkling of what it might be.)

I think, though, we are in agreement concerning that point, anyway, eh?

^_^

;

What's fun(ny) with Wikipedia ist that you can read the logfiles and see the editing wars going on about these topics! It's extremely informative. The Nanjing massacre "thread" is especially revealing!

As you are saying later on in your post: The Koreans are saying one thing, the Japanese another... (That's also what I meant about there being no status quo in Asia on these matters!) Which brings us to the Japanese reaction:

@ Japanese on the issue

: Well, yes. On all accounts! There is no one official line - it's like a flag in the wind. :< Also, Japan is a really terribly sexist nation, still. I remember a high gov't official's (totally forgotten who, the case I'm talking about is 2003, but there are countless others) to a gang rape of a young woman was to praise the rapists for their manliness! And no, he didn't get fired or even "rotated" to a new position.

-_-

So, how are we to expect sympathy for the comfort women from these men?! What's even more harrowing is that this particular brand of paternalistic, nationalist, sexist [the list could be expanded endlessly] ***holes are usually the loudest ones, and the ones that will make "normal" people afraid to speak up. (Well, at least on the environmentalist branch of leftism things are happening right now in Japan, so ... let's wait and see.)

On that account we might also worry about the recent trend to white-wash history books in Japan. On the other hand, you might read something like "Lies my Teacher Told Me", and consider this an example for something that could be done in any nation at any time. Nothing anyone ever says is the whole truth, that goes especially for history books and doubly so for school history books, which are often full of outright lies. Anywhere, anytime.

The Wiki list I posted, though, was in answer to the general claim that the Japanese have never appologized. Now, you can say that they never appologized adequately, or properly officially (though, really, the emperor himself acknowledging this is as official as you can get, eh? o_ô ). No Japanese prime minister has kneeled crying on the grounds of Nanjing (this is a reference to Germany, of course).

@ What the comfort women want:

Of course it's not money!

But thanks for pointing that out, because that is usually overlooked in such cases. If you are raped (whether you're a girl or boy) your life gets utterly destroyed. There's just no going back to good-ol' happy times. The only chance you got is to completely forget everything you ever were and everything that ever happened, to erase yourself and start anew. No money in the world can help you with that.

The call for recognition of such a crime is understandable (the indifference of society is a factor in the victims ongoing trauma almost as strong as the original act of violence!). Unfortunately, it is quite usual that it goes unheeded. Whether it's the rape of an individual or of a whole group of people. It's always the same procedure, the same arguments, almost the same results. (For a prominent case that caught a larger audiences attention around the world s. the Polanski case.)

@ The military's involvement as point of uniqueness

: *erm* No. Well, I agree to the degree that I wrote this myself - the particular combination: military/gov't kidnapping women, deport them somewhere else and abuse them as sex slaves - that might be unique on that scale, although I'd say it is absolutely not and I just do not know enough about the history of violence to give examples! Even as I am writing these points down I realise that something like this has happened, and is happening (Africa, war lords, it's common practice!) in other places. And yes, the mass rape of Amerindian women, of e.g. Polish villages' female population, the deportment of the women of conquered tribes by the Romans, and many many many more, were actions orchastrated by the government and military.

But maybe that is not even the issue. You can't well tell a rape victim: "Well, that's happend to other women, too. No biggy, eh?"
So on the side of the comfort women (whose position, btw., I am on, as a woman - even against their respective goverments who sometimes seem to be using the issue to their own gain, which is just pukalistic *blech*) it doesn't lessen the crime, if something similar happend elsewhere.

It might help with the healing, though. To know you are not alone is a really powerful help to a victim of violence!

Also, my point (I guess) is that we (who are not victims of the Japanese - and I appologize to any 90 year olds who might be reading this for not taking them into account) need to consider the broader context and need to see what else is going on in the world, because if we don't we'll just be hating on the Japanese or maybe the Japanese in that particular time without understanding that

a) things like this have always happened around the world and will happen again -
B) it is our duty to learn from them (the right lessons - vigilance!) and
c) to not turn away when it falls upon us to do something!

Which - to go back on topic - is what this drama, I believe, is all about. If you are faced with such a situation, it is normal, understandable, human, to not do anything. To ignore what's going on, to protect your own, your loved ones. But, ultimately, what you should do, is stand up and fight the injustice, even should it cost your life.

*nods head* (And I just bold faced that because I could. *har*

:P

)

(Actually, I remember when I was a kid (OK, teenager) and told my Chinese teacher I'd start to learn Japanese (because I love Japanese culture so much), I was severely scolded by her. She said that no people in the whole world have ever been as cruel as the Japanese. So probably that is why I'm always going on about how the Japanese weren't the only cruel bast*** in human history. To say so is just hurtful to everybody else!)

edit: @serendipity8989: *ha* you just posted while I was writing this. Agreed on pretty much all counts, especially "

HOWEVER, those acts were all wrong. And people shouldn't try to "justify" these acts, by saying "OH it was a normalized back then, everyone did it..." B/C regardless of whether all colonizers or imperial powers did commit atrocities, it doesn't take away from the fact that it was wrong. It is wrong. And if a country wants to make a drama or film about their own nation's history, then that's fine with me. "

That's what I was trying to say with the last few paragraphs, but in that horribly longwinded bookish way of mine. (Again: this is not my native language, I really can't help the way I write.)

^_^

; So, I love the way you put it!

Something I want to say, though, which is really really important to me:

The Japanese are NOT complaining, for Christ's sake! All the Japanese I've shown this drama to are loving it. I've even got friends in the police force (higher ups, they are quite conservative, you migh imagine!) think this show is great! So please please please stop being angry at those fantasy Japanese that everybody seems to be making up!

Probably Kobayashi Yoshinori or some other right wingish ***hole might react to this in a hateful fashion by calling them liers or some such (I can so imagine the comic strip he's going to make *uke*), but he doesn't speak for the Japanese per se and is a highly controversial figure in his home nation.

Koreans complaining about the show are probably the ones I meant when I said that people don't mention the history to be able to live "comfortably". They might have some business interest in Japan or something. :<

(What you said about "the" Germans and "the" Jews, btw. seems a bit skewed, as in: I agree with what you said, but I don't agree with the worldview that seems to be behind that statement. Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive on that count atm, because we just burried a professor here, who'd spend his youth in a camp - and it wasn't the Boy Scouts'.

-_-

He was 100% German. Of Jewish ancestry. You get what I'm trying to say? *sigh* Luckily, that's not the topic of this thread.) Now, I really need to get away from the internet...

-_-

sorry!

*hm* Sorry @mrdimples for just completely ignoring your nice answer atm. I got all carried aways here, again.

^_^

; (Guess, I'm a passionate person like KT *moarrr*) Also, today is my dad's birthday and my family is looking at me all funny for sitting at my mom's computer. *ahem* So, I guess I'll be getting some Jabjae, potato salad and cheese cake right now and rejoin the discussion tomorrow.

^_^

; Sorry. orz

Also, I think the fact that the chemistry is kinda sizzling down with KT x MD is because of MD's inexperience as an actress. I think she's having a hard time emoting her feelings/passion/longing for KT. & that's also why I think it's "working" better for KT x Rie because Rie seems seasoned enough as an actress to really have a depth in her acting ability.
I like MD's character & the actress herself, but I do feel she is kind of lacking in some aspects when it comes to being really emotional/acting ability-wise. =(
But I'm really hoping for KT x MD in the end, all the way! 
& I HOPE they resolve the KT x Rie thing cause like I said before, IDK how KT will be able to live happily ever after w/ MD after knowing RIE (& esp. if she dies in order to save him). BUT K Dramas always make it work, so *fingers crossed* 

The OTP Kangto and Mokdan had very sizzling chemistry from the beginning in ep 1 when she threw a rock at that picture and when Kangto looked at her and their stare got me HOOKED ON right away. But now, they're so 'polite' towards each other that it gets so annoying. Rie talks to Kangto like herself but Mokdan and Kangto have somehow that distant/polite speech whenever they talk. I just wish the writer will DO SOMETHING about their interaction, cuz Jin Se Yun will be 100% able to convey her feelings for Kangto as Mokdan, I mean even a rookie actress, or someone like me can do it if the actor is Joowon :P.

so my demands:

1. Happy ending for Kangto x Mokdan

2. More lovey dovey cute scenes between these two

3. MORE SKINSHIP with other parts than the hands.

4. KISSESSSS

serendipity8989 said: Also, I think the fact that the chemistry is kinda sizzling down with KT x MD is because of MD's inexperience as an actress. I think she's having a hard time emoting her feelings/passion/longing for KT. & that's also why I think it's "working" better for KT x Rie because Rie seems seasoned enough as an actress to really have a depth in her acting ability.

Reading all the comments and I feel like I should come to MD's defence here. MD character was never meant to be a strong, badass, think-quick-on-your-feet, gunho type of girl. She is just a normal, next-door type of girl who has determination, strong faith in God and human nature and she was supposed to be the childhood love of KT/BM and that's what she is in the drama. If you just sit back and think about her situation for a minute, her circumstance IS NOT the same as Rie as they are from different path of life and their fates have just become entwined in the struggle for the love of one man. Rie character is typecasted as strong-minded, resolute and attractive in her own way and who doesn't as she needs to survive for just being a daughter to Ueno, she was like an underdog to him, to be a pawn in the game no more no less. I don't know why but I always feel somewhat uneasy every time I watch Rie being alone with that old man and my mind just keeps going back to that earlier scene in the drama where he layed his hand on her, it was really creepy!. Who knows what else Rie has endured while living under the same roof and being mind-controlled by Ueno. Rie's circumstance called for a survival whereas MD life is not that drastic in a sense that although she has seen her mother killed by the Japanese and hardly seen her father because he was away fighting for the cause but she has a relatively easy life just being a mask changer in the circus. She is surrounded by love, from circus leader  her who treats her as his daughter and by all people in the circus except for the traitor girl. Her dream and hope was only to reunite with her father and the YM whom she was destined to meet while on the run years ago. Being a lonely girl whose just lost her mother, she came to embrace this young man who showed her love and care and hence left a strong impression on her young mind. They may not have felt love but it grows from infatuation to love as they grow up and hold dear to the memories they once share.

Some of the opinions that MD was so pathetic to run to KT and put him in danger but that it because she knows that only him can accomplish what none other could do. She was practically an prisoner without having any contact with her father and other comrades (well there are none left!). So what is she supposed to do? She needs help but she can't fight the battle because she is not that martial -arts skilled and this factor has been built from the very beginning and consistent throughout.  At least it shows that MD has the full trust in KT that he will know what needs to be done and help their people. MD was not that selfish to think only of her safety and KT's whilst watching other lives fall into misfortune. She got caught, kicked left right and centre by everybody and yet she determined to sacrifice her freedom by remaining by SJ's side whom she despised with all her being because she thinks that that is the only way to help KT/BM. She could have and had the opportunity to run away and not be a burden to KT(she did want to run away with her father to keep BM safe) but instead she chooses to stay back to be with KT and share his burden, facing the danger together and I love her for it. She is sticking to her promise to KT that she will follow him to hell and back. For someone whose life has been very smooth and easy until she came across KT and reunited with her father, it is a very big decision to make. Her character is there to show how these two young lovers' fates were drawn together at childhood , destined to meet one another in a confronting circumstances years later and after haing come out through all the misunderstandings and heartbreaks, their cruel fate once again stepped in to tear them apart because KT bears the great responsibility on his shoulders of rescuing his people from the darkness and bring hope to a nation under Japanese occupation. That shows the cruelty of war did to an occupied nation and its people. However frustrated I am and how much I want to see KT-MD romantic scenes but I admit that this drama's emphasis is not in the love line of KT-MD but the live of KT who is the hero to Joseon people. They are and will sacrifice their love for a greater cause. KT and MD's love line is and will be taking a back seat until the very end. Although knowing how it must be, I must say the thought doesn't bring much comfort to me since I always have a weakness for romance. Every drama or storyline will have strong and weak characters to compensate one another otherwise it will become unrealistic. MD character is made out to be a weakling but it serves the purpose of moving the plot along and brings some light refreshing entertainment into a very dark and somewhat full of tragic stories. It is proof in the fact that KT-MD love scenes are only there randomly but whenever it happens, it was made to be a beautiful scene, making viewers wanting more but not to deviate or overshadow from the heroic story of BM.  Ri'e's character on the other hand is totally opposite to MD, she is one who has the power and the skill, the training and on top she possesses the same undenying love for KT/BM. I agree that she will prove to be quite useful to KT/BM in the battle ahead with Koshikai because she is one of them. MD does not acquire enough skills to man-handle and confront Rie alone and to help KT fight against Koshikai. KT wants his revenge not only for his family but also to bring down this evil society which brings death and destruction to his country and people. I am not surprised that the BM team decides to bring in a new totally badass, kick-richard simmons-trained character to match Rie.

However in the end, after all the showdowns and battles, the final ending will flow back to what happened to KT-MD and their love. Do they survive and live happily ever after or forever be torn apart? I don't know where the script is heading to but at the moment, I can only say that I am thankful for MD and KT are there for each other however randomly and scarce it might be. MD may be shown as a weak, typical, uncharacteristic type of  a girl but without her, who knows what type of a person KT turns out to be. May be the death of his brother would have awaken the good side in him but there is no doubt that the love of BY also heals his tortured soul and makes him see that he can be so much more than just a man behind the mask.

I am sorry for my rambling but I just need to get it out...

serendipity8989

said:

stoffkimba

said:First of all: thank you for writing so much on the topic!!!

:)

orz It's really interesting to be able to discuss this topic, especially with people who know what's going down and haven't just been aware of it since like the last GST preview.

;)

@ Wikipedia or internet resources in general:

What was I supposed to do? Scan a book or something?

;)

(Or even better: just write something and give no sources?) My posts are overly long even with me linking left and right. *sigh* (I need ages to open my mouth, but when I do, it's hard to get me to shut up.

;)

)

Apart from that: YES! Of course. But, and I am going to go bold just to make that point:

We also have to be careful when reading books and newspaper articles. Just because it's printed and maybe a journalist or professor wrote the text does NOT mean it isn't biased!!!

Everything has to be read/watched with a healthy does of scepticism. People tend to forget that and that's dangerous. (Sometimes it's not even the writers fault. I've read quite a bit on the Japanese emperor Hirohito / Showa. Before his death researchers tended to say that he was just a puppet in the hands of the military. After his death new material became available, people spoke up - and suddenly you get researchers going on about what an ugly faced despot the man was. Suposedly. It's kind of amusing, really, how "benign and handsome Showa" turned into "bug-eyed, stooped and totally vile and ugly Hirohito" within the space of just a few years. We'll probably never know the whole truth, but reading all these disagreeing accounts and opinions gives us at least an inkling of what it might be.)

I think, though, we are in agreement concerning that point, anyway, eh?

^_^

;

What's fun(ny) with Wikipedia ist that you can read the logfiles and see the editing wars going on about these topics! It's extremely informative. The Nanjing massacre "thread" is especially revealing!

As you are saying later on in your post: The Koreans are saying one thing, the Japanese another... (That's also what I meant about there being no status quo in Asia on these matters!) Which brings us to the Japanese reaction:

@ Japanese on the issue

: Well, yes. On all accounts! There is no one official line - it's like a flag in the wind. :< Also, Japan is a really terribly sexist nation, still. I remember a high gov't official's (totally forgotten who, the case I'm talking about is 2003, but there are countless others) to a gang rape of a young woman was to praise the rapists for their manliness! And no, he didn't get fired or even "rotated" to a new position.

-_-

So, how are we to expect sympathy for the comfort women from these men?! What's even more harrowing is that this particular brand of paternalistic, nationalist, sexist [the list could be expanded endlessly] ***holes are usually the loudest ones, and the ones that will make "normal" people afraid to speak up. (Well, at least on the environmentalist branch of leftism things are happening right now in Japan, so ... let's wait and see.)

On that account we might also worry about the recent trend to white-wash history books in Japan. On the other hand, you might read something like "Lies my Teacher Told Me", and consider this an example for something that could be done in any nation at any time. Nothing anyone ever says is the whole truth, that goes especially for history books and doubly so for school history books, which are often full of outright lies. Anywhere, anytime.

The Wiki list I posted, though, was in answer to the general claim that the Japanese have never appologized. Now, you can say that they never appologized adequately, or properly officially (though, really, the emperor himself acknowledging this is as official as you can get, eh? o_ô ). No Japanese prime minister has kneeled crying on the grounds of Nanjing (this is a reference to Germany, of course).

@ What the comfort women want:

Of course it's not money!

But thanks for pointing that out, because that is usually overlooked in such cases. If you are raped (whether you're a girl or boy) your life gets utterly destroyed. There's just no going back to good-ol' happy times. The only chance you got is to completely forget everything you ever were and everything that ever happened, to erase yourself and start anew. No money in the world can help you with that.

The call for recognition of such a crime is understandable (the indifference of society is a factor in the victims ongoing trauma almost as strong as the original act of violence!). Unfortunately, it is quite usual that it goes unheeded. Whether it's the rape of an individual or of a whole group of people. It's always the same procedure, the same arguments, almost the same results. (For a prominent case that caught a larger audiences attention around the world s. the Polanski case.)

@ The military's involvement as point of uniqueness

: *erm* No. Well, I agree to the degree that I wrote this myself - the particular combination: military/gov't kidnapping women, deport them somewhere else and abuse them as sex slaves - that might be unique on that scale, although I'd say it is absolutely not and I just do not know enough about the history of violence to give examples! Even as I am writing these points down I realise that something like this has happened, and is happening (Africa, war lords, it's common practice!) in other places. And yes, the mass rape of Amerindian women, of e.g. Polish villages' female population, the deportment of the women of conquered tribes by the Romans, and many many many more, were actions orchastrated by the government and military.

But maybe that is not even the issue. You can't well tell a rape victim: "Well, that's happend to other women, too. No biggy, eh?"
So on the side of the comfort women (whose position, btw., I am on, as a woman - even against their respective goverments who sometimes seem to be using the issue to their own gain, which is just pukalistic *blech*) it doesn't lessen the crime, if something similar happend elsewhere.

It might help with the healing, though. To know you are not alone is a really powerful help to a victim of violence!

Also, my point (I guess) is that we (who are not victims of the Japanese - and I appologize to any 90 year olds who might be reading this for not taking them into account) need to consider the broader context and need to see what else is going on in the world, because if we don't we'll just be hating on the Japanese or maybe the Japanese in that particular time without understanding that

a) things like this have always happened around the world and will happen again -
B) it is our duty to learn from them (the right lessons - vigilance!) and
c) to not turn away when it falls upon us to do something!

Which - to go back on topic - is what this drama, I believe, is all about. If you are faced with such a situation, it is normal, understandable, human, to not do anything. To ignore what's going on, to protect your own, your loved ones. But, ultimately, what you should do, is stand up and fight the injustice, even should it cost your life.

*nods head* (And I just bold faced that because I could. *har*

:P

)

(Actually, I remember when I was a kid (OK, teenager) and told my Chinese teacher I'd start to learn Japanese (because I love Japanese culture so much), I was severely scolded by her. She said that no people in the whole world have ever been as cruel as the Japanese. So probably that is why I'm always going on about how the Japanese weren't the only cruel bast*** in human history. To say so is just hurtful to everybody else!)

edit: @serendipity8989: *ha* you just posted while I was writing this. Agreed on pretty much all counts, especially "

HOWEVER, those acts were all wrong. And people shouldn't try to "justify" these acts, by saying "OH it was a normalized back then, everyone did it..." B/C regardless of whether all colonizers or imperial powers did commit atrocities, it doesn't take away from the fact that it was wrong. It is wrong. And if a country wants to make a drama or film about their own nation's history, then that's fine with me. "

That's what I was trying to say with the last few paragraphs, but in that horribly longwinded bookish way of mine. (Again: this is not my native language, I really can't help the way I write.)

^_^

; So, I love the way you put it!

Something I want to say, though, which is really really important to me:

The Japanese are NOT complaining, for Christ's sake! All the Japanese I've shown this drama to are loving it. I've even got friends in the police force (higher ups, they are quite conservative, you migh imagine!) think this show is great! So please please please stop being angry at those fantasy Japanese that everybody seems to be making up!

Probably Kobayashi Yoshinori or some other right wingish ***hole might react to this in a hateful fashion by calling them liers or some such (I can so imagine the comic strip he's going to make *uke*), but he doesn't speak for the Japanese per se and is a highly controversial figure in his home nation.

Koreans complaining about the show are probably the ones I meant when I said that people don't mention the history to be able to live "comfortably". They might have some business interest in Japan or something. :<

(What you said about "the" Germans and "the" Jews, btw. seems a bit skewed, as in: I agree with what you said, but I don't agree with the worldview that seems to be behind that statement. Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive on that count atm, because we just burried a professor here, who'd spend his youth in a camp - and it wasn't the Boy Scouts'.

-_-

He was 100% German. Of Jewish ancestry. You get what I'm trying to say? *sigh* Luckily, that's not the topic of this thread.) Now, I really need to get away from the internet...

-_-

sorry!

*hm* Sorry @mrdimples for just completely ignoring your nice answer atm. I got all carried aways here, again.

^_^

; (Guess, I'm a passionate person like KT *moarrr*) Also, today is my dad's birthday and my family is looking at me all funny for sitting at my mom's computer. *ahem* So, I guess I'll be getting some Jabjae, potato salad and cheese cake right now and rejoin the discussion tomorrow.

^_^

; Sorry. orz

@flipz   Yeah, there may have been some more excitement if MD didn't find out who BM was, all the while getting closer to KT. But then the rest of the story would be implausible. Damsari could not have been rescued safely, KT's life would not only be endangered by the Imperial Police, but the Independence fighters would have attempted to murder him as well. The plot needed MD to find out, not only for romantic reasons, but for BM to have accomplices on his side. And it wouldn't have made sense if she found out last (toward the end of the drama, b/c it would be even harder for the audience to accept the big reveal. It would've also been harder for MD to accept, because I think she would feel like the conflict she went through was all BS - ultimately, the early reveal not only saved time, but also helped move both the romance and plot forward). Also, MD would have continued to put KT in more danger if she didn't know who he was, rather than what's happening now. Because now, at least MD is considering her actions, and she's actually working to protect KT. ie) she told her fellow comrades not to kill KT, she went back to the hotel (b/c she was afraid that KT's cover would be blown if she didn't), and etc. 
However, I agree with you that Rie reminds me of the old KT, so I can see there being some connection there. It's strange because I don't think MD will ever know that darkness that KT was in before he changed. But I think Rie understands, and therefore, there's some attraction/bond there. Also, the fact that Rie is gorgeous doesn't really help. And that's why when I saw Rie x KT talking, I truly saw KT's sincerity. And that's why I don't like it that Rie has the ability to reinstate KT, or save him in one way other another, while MD is kind of doing the *not-so-obvious* saving. I don't like that KT has to go to Rie to ask for help. =( I feel like KT's vulnerability is really being seen by Rie & I want MD to see it too.
Also, at first I wanted Rie to help KT, but now, if she gives up her life for KT, then it shows how much she loved him, & I don't know if I want to see that! Because I want MD to be the one that LOVES KT more, & I want THEIR relationship to be unbreakable, or impenetrable. But if Rie dies for KT, THEN that shakes things up. 
I want MD to see that KT is working with RIE (or trying to seduce her), especially when MD knows that KT knows that Rie tried to kill MD. I want to see some tension there. There should be some conflict within KT x MD relationship; I just want more scenes w/ them! Good or bad! :-P

@ stoffkimba

If I add,

Actually, several professors (I am in graduate school in US) told us not to use Wikipedia as a reference for papers and thesis because it will reduce credibility of researches. So, I recommend people to use Wikipedia with caution.

@serendipity8989

About Korean are criticizing Gaksital, it seems that some of Koreans think the drama is too weak comparing to cruel realities during the colonial period.

About Rie:

I liked Rie more than Mokdan. But after I watched ep20, I started to think Rie is evil even more than Sunji because Rie is selling out Korean young women and girls as “comfort women”.  I don’t know what to say about this. I think women must not do such a thing to women. We are women, women must not do that to women. Rie’s involvement with “comfort women” really hurt my heart because I loved her character so much.

I have hoped more scenes for Kangto X Rie, but now I am confused. I hope Rie will learn what she is doing is wrong.  I will pray for her.

@mrdimples 
Thanks for seeing my POV. I was hoping that people would see where I'm coming from, in terms of why I write some of the things I do. But I'm really shocked that actual Koreans are opposing this film, because, like you & I both mentioned, it's not political at all. And it's just based on a fictional comic. But the fact that this issue is so sensitive, tells me a lot too. It tells me that the impact Japan had on Korea's history, as well as in shaping Korea's present culture & thought is appalling. And it's quite disturbing. 
Those Korean netizens must be:
a) Not really Korean?B) Ignorant of their own national historyc) scared of Japanese?d) crazy????
I don't know, I'm so confused! Just because Koreans make a simple drama that deals with colonization doesn't mean KOREA AS A WHOLE is hating on Japan, or making some huge political statement! It shouldn't be taken as such, because after all, it's just a drama.
Also, I just thought of this:
Since there are Koreans that are even criticizing slashing the Japanese flag, I think that goes to show that NOT ALL Koreans are BIASED and hateful toward Japan. I think currently, Korea and Japan have a relatively friendly relationship. So, definitely, I don't think this drama, or KOREA is trying to make some political statement against the Japanese. 
I also think, Koreans have the right to make such dramas (especially in this watered down version), about their own history, which includes perhaps, portraying the Japanese in a negative light. 
And people should keep in mind, the context in which the Japanese are portrayed. Just because a current drama (that takes place in the 30s-40s) portrays Japanese in a negative light, DOESN'T MEAN that's how the Japanese are now, or that people still think of the Japanese as the enemy or something. =P

What was the purpose of that scene with the grandma and the girl? It was a pointless 5 minutes scene...
And have anyone noticed that the grandma is Shunji's nanny in episode 7 and briefly in ep 1? Couldn't they have found some other old lady to play the role?

serendipity8989 said:@flipz Yeah, there may have been some more excitement if MD didn't find out who BM was, all the while getting closer to KT. But then the rest of the story would be implausible. Damsari could not have been rescued safely, KT's life would not only be endangered by the Imperial Police, but the Independence fighters would have attempted to murder him as well. The plot needed MD to find out, not only for romantic reasons, but for BM to have accomplices on his side. And it wouldn't have made sense if she found out last (toward the end of the drama, b/c it would be even harder for the audience to accept the big reveal. It would've also been harder for MD to accept, because I think she would feel like the conflict she went through was all BS - ultimately, the early reveal not only saved time, but also helped move both the romance and plot forward). Also, MD would have continued to put KT in more danger if she didn't know who he was, rather than what's happening now. Because now, at least MD is considering her actions, and she's actually working to protect KT. ie) she told her fellow comrades not to kill KT, she went back to the hotel (b/c she was afraid that KT's cover would be blown if she didn't), and etc.
However, I agree with you that Rie reminds me of the old KT, so I can see there being some connection there. It's strange because I don't think MD will ever know that darkness that KT was in before he changed. But I think Rie understands, and therefore, there's some attraction/bond there. Also, the fact that Rie is gorgeous doesn't really help. And that's why when I saw Rie x KT talking, I truly saw KT's sincerity. And that's why I don't like it that Rie has the ability to reinstate KT, or save him in one way other another, while MD is kind of doing the *not-so-obvious* saving. I don't like that KT has to go to Rie to ask for help. =( I feel like KT's vulnerability is really being seen by Rie & I want MD to see it too.
Also, at first I wanted Rie to help KT, but now, if she gives up her life for KT, then it shows how much she loved him, & I don't know if I want to see that! Because I want MD to be the one that LOVES KT more, & I want THEIR relationship to be unbreakable, or impenetrable. But if Rie dies for KT, THEN that shakes things up.
I want MD to see that KT is working with RIE (or trying to seduce her), especially when MD knows that KT knows that Rie tried to kill MD. I want to see some tension there. There should be some conflict within KT x MD relationship; I just want more scenes w/ them! Good or bad! :-P

@marie67 I hope so!! And I'm pretty sure the writers aren't gonna switch things up, because usually K dramas follow a certain formula when it comes to romance & love... So I'm hoping that Rie doesn't affect KT at all!
I was confused at the last scene of ep 20 because KT looked shocked that Rie was firing at him? 
I'm wondering if he's hesitant to fight her because he might lose *help* or b/c of something deeper?? I hope it's not the latter =(
I'm gonna be so upset if we don't get more KT x MD scenes next week! hmph 

serendipity8989 said: @flipz   Yeah, there may have been some more excitement if MD didn't find out who BM was, all the while getting closer to KT. But then the rest of the story would be implausible. Damsari could not have been rescued safely, KT's life would not only be endangered by the Imperial Police, but the Independence fighters would have attempted to murder him as well. The plot needed MD to find out, not only for romantic reasons, but for BM to have accomplices on his side. And it wouldn't have made sense if she found out last (toward the end of the drama, b/c it would be even harder for the audience to accept the big reveal. It would've also been harder for MD to accept, because I think she would feel like the conflict she went through was all BS - ultimately, the early reveal not only saved time, but also helped move both the romance and plot forward). Also, MD would have continued to put KT in more danger if she didn't know who he was, rather than what's happening now. Because now, at least MD is considering her actions, and she's actually working to protect KT. ie) she told her fellow comrades not to kill KT, she went back to the hotel (b/c she was afraid that KT's cover would be blown if she didn't), and etc. 

ok drama aside... did anyone notice something EXTREMELY important in this shot?....
2089sua.jpg

no? notice nothing? let me zoom in a bit for you...
2whi1cx.jpg
GRATUITOUS BUTT SHOTTTT!2n07p02.gif
oh damn I must soo come off as pervy LOL!!!!

but other than that... dear shunji... I loved you in the beginning of the show. seriously, you were the adorable, caring oppa that every girl wanted, now...34h9us1.gif
After watching the episode again... every time shunji does something that made my blood boil (especially when he brought up about kangto's mom and brother and DID NOTHING but help the opposition!!! OMG...) I literally am like this to my sister...zn7b7a.jpgI dunno how the writer is going to give him redemption, may she won't (I hope she eventually does) but at this point.... HE IS DEAD TO ME!!! *sobs*I just really REALLY REALLY want him to survive this and reflect what he did like kangto... AISH! Shunji! what are you doing to me?!6jnkp0.gif

What was the purpose of that scene with the grandma and the girl? It was a pointless 5 minutes scene...

And have anyone noticed that the grandma is Shunji's nanny in episode 7 and briefly in ep 1? Couldn't they have found some other old lady to play the role?

I have a feeling they chose Shunji's beloved nanny because it gives Shunji two choices when push comes to shove. To show how heartless he has become or how remorseful he is. Makes for good drama characterisation.

Is it just me or what.... i feel like ep19 and ep20 was an intro to the villains ... I hope ep 21 will intro more heroes.. then ep22 - ep28 will be WAR!!! Fight..fight..fight..til the END!!!  Oh... don't forget writers... Kangto & Mokdan (we got to see more of them together) PLEASEEEEEEEE

Oh my gosh..>_________<

i came soo late so i missed the whole party with you guys..i just finish watching episode 20..and it was..

717511313.gif

okay seriously..what the hell is wrong with that Shunji..he is totally a bastard..i can't believe that when he knows that his brother killed KT's mother and brother all he was thinking is " oh..then maybe KT is the Gaksital who killed my brother"..seriously man..!!..your evil brother's killed your best friend's family and all you was thinking is that!!!..you don't feel guilty or ashamed..or even a little bit sad..all you think about is Gaksital..?!! he is your best friend for the god sake..or was..but this is peoples life's..your damn brother did a wrong thing and he deserve to die..so you now ignored the whole truth about what your brother did and only care about WHO is  and HOW to catch Gaksital..?!! i'm speechless..i might not know how this drama will end and who will live and who will die..but I HOPE that shunji will burn to death..by all the means..he is just a monster..he killed so many people ..now it doesn't make any burden for him when he knows what did his dear brother did..?!! poor Kang to..

and about Rie..am i the only one who actually LOVED Rie in this episode..i know she supposed to be evil and everything and she might do some horrible thing in the future for KT and MD..but seeing her knowing the truth about KT being Gaksital and not saying a word to anyone..impressed me..but the last scene made me love her..she didn't even shoot at him she shoot at the tree and she said " please i saved your life..don't make me regret this" she came alone without her bodyguard..okay this lady know how to love..and i love it..YES i know i'm in MD and KT team..but for what Rie did today i give her a 10 point..not because i like to see her with KT or because I like her...but because she did a right thing when she followed her heart..not so many people will be able to do the right thing..
i know she supposed to be the bad woman since she is pointing the gun at KT but..this scene was EPIC..
381694259.jpg

185128111.jpg

we already know that MD and Rie..they have their own war with each other..now adding a hero to the math what will happen ?!!
i love to see the girls fighting..especially when they start to pull each other's hair XDDDDDD
KT loves MD this not gonna change in 8 episodes..i admit Rie love KT..but ..MD and KT are meant to be

and that bastard  Japanese who beat the hell out of KT at the first scene..oh gosh i swear that i wanted to cut off his head..( if i was able to..i would) seriously ..as if we needed more bad people in this drama..
and also that man who beat our poor MD..i went so crazy for seeing her got beaten up..but then that man got the big share of beaten by Gaksital..he gave him two amazing kicks..well i don't think that he saw him when he was beating MD..or maybe he did..but i swear..when he beat him i was like..

857360758.gif

also that scene when Shunji hugged MD and then KT came and hold her hand..awwwwwwwwww..a very touching moment..these two poor lovers..why it always you shunji..WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!!
898474363.gif

I'm still rooting for my couple but I need more of them..i need them to meet secretly in a place..i want them to set and talk..i want them to do everything that a normal lovers do..because if..and I'm saying IF..one of them or both will die..then they deserve to be happy at least for one moment..

i'm so desperate..i need Wednesday to come..Tomorrow..we only have 8 episode left ..right?!! i need more of MD and KT..and i need a happy ending please

I'm off to read 163 post ^^