[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Starlitelet

vanillaplumeria

said: Straying from the romantic aspect of bridal mask, I found this MV on youtube. Bridal mask really is about all the relationships and how life changes a person. Thank you to Kristyhlauj for the awesome video! 

@Pavlichenko, I LOLed so hard at the Shunji as a grape photo! Sour grapes much? Kekeke.

@coolreborn, I don’t know if you’re seeing Kangto’s back cos all I’m seeing is his butt XD

@marie67 I also do wonder why the drama never showed us who saved Mok Dan though. That’s some BIG plot hole there lol.

Just to round up my thoughts on Mok Dan:

Standing up for what is right and putting into action to do what is right, is what Mok Dan is and I believe this world needs more people like that. Good people are less interesting but that doesn’t mean it is any less tough on them because their struggles are not as transparent. Strength of character lies in continually choosing to do what is right rather than just cave in to what is more “realistic” or is more “pragmatic”. Just because we don’t see her struggle doesn’t mean she’s a one dimensional person. This we also see in Shunji, it was easy for him to be a good person at the start when there was no conflict but once there was, he gave into choosing the easier way out.

I will still say that Mok Dan has her flaws, it’s just not as dark as Rie. But that doesn’t make Mok Dan any less realistic as a character because I’m pretty sure we all know good people who have consistently been good, albeit with a couple of slight flaws here and there. In reality, we are all drawn to what is good and so I think it’s rather realistic for Kangto to be drawn to Mok Dan haha. I think at this stage, Mok Dan believes in her ideals not just because they are ideals but because in this cruel world, knowing the harsh reality, ideals are what’s left to strive for, to hope for. I really really don’t think Mok Dan does what she does for the sake of being good. I think emotional people will relate to Mok Dan because she’s used her emotions more than her brains on many occasions. She does what she does because she believes in them. Helping others doesn’t necessarily mean she’s not doing anything for herself. She’s helping someone who is important to her and if she doesn’t, she will regret. In a sense, that’s also helping herself. Like the time when she barged in to save Damsari, she did it for herself. I think we can’t discount the era that they are in. People tend to rise to the occasion and so in those times, her bravery won’t be something out of place. I don’t know about others, but I find Mok Dan relatable, kekeke. 

As someone has mentioned earlier, sure, without Mok Dan the action scenes will still go on but Kangto won’t be the Gaksital he is right now. Mok Dan was what got Kangto to continue being Gaksital even after his revenge and it was through that process that he slowly learnt the true meaning of being a hero. Just because something is a catalyst doesn’t mean it’s not important.

Anyway, I agree Mok Dan’s character doesn’t have much growth [even if it’s because it’s already at a rather mature stage already]. And I do agree that if there was, it would be more interesting to watch. I think Mok Dan’s growth just isn’t as spectacular and also, her actions are something you need to think back on to appreciate. Like when she chose to stay in the house instead of appearing at the execution grounds. If it were the Mok Dan in episode 1, you can bet she would be there. I think she’s learnt that sometimes, it pays to stay out of side. Her naïve world is being broken down slowly and she’s seeing things she didn’t see. But just because she is facing harsh reality, it doesn’t mean she has to abandon her ideals. They are not mutually exclusive.

I actually want to know more about Tamao. Writer-nim! More of Kangto’s friend pls!! I hope they don’t short change us on the process of Tamao’s development though. It would totally suck if he suddenly became an independent fighter or sided with the Koreans =_=

And I’m bummed we didn’t get to see Damsari cry over Anna. Like wuuutttttt. Ok fine, no time. I give it to you drama, even though you extended yourself by 4 episodes *grumbles*.

@Starlitelet I understand that you’re “picky” [not in a bad way] about the drama because you really like it. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your insights! :) I do enjoy this drama a lot too but a drama cannot please its audience 100%. I think we all like this drama a lot but I myself let things slide more easily because (a) I don’t major in theatre studies and so I know nuts about technicalities and (B) I just want to enjoy the drama and not think and analyse. I have enough thinking and analysing to do at work :S I do sincerely hope you will continue to enjoy it :) Hugsss

Anyway, to every fan in this thread, we are watching a drama. Can we suspend our quest for 100% realism just for a bit and allow some fantasy? If you want 100% realism, watch a documentary! What’s a drama without some sprinkles of fantasy? LOL.

This made me think of Shunji:

tumblr_m4g34fNoTu1rpush3.gif

Peace out everybody! Or Gaksital will not forgive you! :\"> :x

tumblr_m8jzbweMyP1qh2brh.gif

tumblr_m6sqro90up1qcfej7.gif

And he will do this to your computer!

tumblr_m8j596Pc5n1rxtlu1o1_250.gif

Guest Starlitelet

mojobobo

said:

@Starlitelet I understand that you’re “picky” [not in a bad way] about the drama because you really like it. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your insights! :) I do enjoy this drama a lot too but a drama cannot please 100% of its audience. I think we all lie this drama a lot but I myself let things slide more easily because (a) I don’t major in drama and so I know nuts about technicalities and (B) I just want to enjoy the drama and not think and analyse. I have enough thinking and analysing to do at work :S I do sincerely hope you will continue to enjoy it :) Hugsss

Anyway, to every fan in this thread, we are watching a drama. Can we suspend our quest for 100% realism just for a bit and allow some fantasy? If you want 100% realism, watch a documentary! What’s a drama without some fancy fantasy? LOL.

Peace out everybody! Or Gaksital will not forgive you! :\"> :x

Guest crazy lulu

hello, gaksital friends. i'm really late on sharing my thoughts about eps 19 and 20, but i finally wrote it all out.

tumble on over =)

if you don't want to read through my entire post, i'll leave my ending thoughts here. ^^

Thoughts:

I liked these episodes, but probably not as much as I should have, because, apparently, I’m still reeling from my disappointment of Episode 18. Heh.

I kind of imagined Mok Dan to experience the same turmoil Rie felt discovering Kangto was Gaksital. Those stunted flashbacks of how Mok Dan treated Kangto “poorly” failed completely to convince me she thoroughly fleshed out her feelings towards Kangto to fully accept him like she did. Mok Dan was RIGHT in treating Lee Kangto the way she did. Why should she feel sorrow or remorse for cursing him or wanting him dead? She SHOULDN’T. Yes, I’m still recovering from Mok Dan’s acceptance of Lee Kangto. For once, Mok Dan became that weak woman I didn’t want her to be, and I’m still trying to get over it and hope she makes up for it by not being dumb in these upcoming episodes. She’s been wise so far, stopping herself from seeing her dad and Kangto, so I’m thankful for that at least.

I started to enjoy the character of Rie when Rie and Shunji’s rivalry began. I love their heated back and forths. Shunji was the one person who made me feel for Rie. Before that, even though I knew her history, I could care less about her character, but now, I see her insecurities and vulnerability, thanks to Shunji, and I’m invested in her character and future now. The moment of Rie’s discovery was played beautifully. Aww. I can’t wait to see where they take Rie.

I have little to say about Shunji, except that I don’t know if redemption is in his future. If we try to remember the sweet teacher from the beginning episodes, we might be able to convince ourselves enough that yes, he is redeemable, but Shunji has proven he is a consistent monster, and I think it’s only going to get worse.

Kangto in these past two episodes is feeling the weight of the gaksital on him, and I love it. I like that he’s in a place where nothing can calm him, soothe him, make him feel any less than he does now. His aim is to help, and to save, and I love when my heroes reach this point.

As we inch our way closer to the finale, I’ll say it again, I don’t believe Lee Kangto will die.

“This Jeokpa… was truly grateful, if only Gaksital could live… And on that day I so hoped for, the day of this country’s liberation… why don’t you tell him I said so.”

Guest sunshine4ever

Hi everyone, I finished watching episode 20 and I was just wondering why did Rie say that she saved BM? I'm confused. Did I miss something out guys? Please answer me. I just wanted to say with some of you that this drama is so fast-paced. I swear this drama would have been so great if it got extended further and the director could just let us see more rather than having to digest everything on our own. Gosh, as princess_narnia stated, I wish I could see more mourning from both KT & DSR regarding Konno's death and Jeok Pa's death. But then again KT & DSR are too busy with so many things at stake. Maybe they did so privately and director thought it's not necessary as characters in this drama just popped out and then died suddenly. Just think of Mok Dan, her screening time was so limited even though she's important in this drama.

flipz said: @soomp

Love the comparison between the two in the pictures. I think the big one that's missing is one I read from the dramabeans recap.

11. MD: Loved Gaksital, Hated KT
11. Rie: Loved KT, Hated Gaksital

When in reality, it's both the same person playing a dual(or multiple) persona.

Guest Starlitelet

sunshine4ever said: Hi everyone, I finished watching episode 20 and I was just wondering why did Rie say that she saved BM? I'm confused. Did I miss something out guys? Please answer me. 

@CrazyLulu I don't see how MD is weak.

I think what draws me to each of the 4 main characters is their VULNERABILITIES and not their strengths.

They are all depicted as strong in their own regards:
Shunji and KT - physically strong and smart
Rie - intimidating and resourcefully strong
MD - Strong-willed and strong heart

The best part of getting me invested is their turmoil of themselves, mind games of their self-worth, identity, and their insecurities.

Shunji - Protecting MD by becoming Japanese, yet slowly engulfed in a role that has turned him into a monster
KT - Directly challenged the morals/ideals of his brother, only to become the person his brother was, but even greater.
Rie - Insecure of Korean identity, depicted as a strong character, but is fragile and weak mentally.
MD - ?

MD is only weak physically. Mentally, she is tough.  She doesn't have mind games with herself, she knows who she is, what her identity is, and holds no insecurities about herself. She welcomes death if it's for the good of the cause. The character development I've been waiting since the beginning of the show was her revelation of KT. Yet, it is quickly shut down by the fact that she unconditionally loves and accepts him. Yes, KT is Gaksital, but she quickly dismisses the fact that the person was also an imperial officer. Even if he was a double agent, he really was an imperial officer til a certain point. Her outlook doesn't change that Japanese officers are only monsters. She doesn't even attempt to remedy her friendship with Shunji(before he turned into a monster).

The only MD character development that I can think of is if a Japanese officer who is NOT KT or Shunji, saves her from imminent danger. I think the show needs someone or an event to challenge her morals/ideals. Otherwise, she will be that exact one-dimensional character from the beginning til the end of the show.

Guest crazy lulu

@CrazyLulu I don't see how MD is weak.

I think what draws me to each of the 4 main characters is their VULNERABILITIES and not their strengths.

They are all depicted as strong in their own regards:

Shunji and KT - physically strong and smart

Rie - intimidating and resourcefully strong

MD - Strong-willed and strong heart

The best part of getting me invested is their turmoil of themselves, mind games of their self-worth, identity, and their insecurities.

Shunji - Protecting MD by becoming Japanese, yet slowly engulfed in a role that has turned him into a monster

KT - Directly challenged the morals/ideals of his brother, only to become the person his brother was, but even greater.

Rie - Insecure of Korean identity, depicted as a strong character, but is fragile and weak mentally.

MD - ?

MD is only weak physically. Mentally, she is tough.  She doesn't have mind games with herself, she knows who she is, what her identity is, and holds no insecurities about herself. She welcomes death if it's for the good of the cause. The character development I've been waiting since the beginning of the show was her revelation of KT. Yet, it is quickly shut down by the fact that she unconditionally loves and accepts him. Yes, KT is Gaksital, but she quickly dismisses the fact that the person was also an imperial officer. Even if he was a double agent, he really was an imperial officer til a certain point. Her outlook doesn't change that Japanese officers are only monsters. She doesn't even attempt to remedy her friendship with Shunji(before he turned into a monster).

The only MD character development that I can think of is if a Japanese officer who is NOT KT or Shunji, saves her from imminent danger. I think the show needs someone or an event to challenge her morals/ideals. Otherwise, she will be that exact one-dimensional character from the beginning til the end of the show.

I see it. Her idealistic tendencies got the better of her. Lee Kangto is Gaksital and she accepts it with little contemplation and ease?

I've been a constant supporter of Mok Dan's fire, and I still am. Her willpower and desire to fight for her freedom, what's right, is admirable. But I won't deny her moment of weakness in her quickie acceptance of Lee Kangto.

I'm all for Mok Dan and sincerely hope her character is taken somewhere good. There's still time. And Mok Dan is more than capable.

Guest sunshine4ever

@stoffkimba@serendipity8989 dearests if you two leave this thread and not post anymore we would lose two people who are wiling to share their insights for this drama. Please don't leave! *huggies* I hope you two make it up somehow privately. Peace & love to you both.

coolreborn said: @sunshine4ever : Wah! So many holding hands pics, yeah I can relate with the holding hands part. You can convey even the most complex emotion with just holding hands and be contented with it. *based from experience* Anyway, can you tell me where you get that chibi pics of yours? If its ok, I really like
Gaksital chibi pics. Thanks!

Guest texashot

@coolreborn and @sunshine4ever, thank you for the beautiful pictures of Kangto To's behind.... I love to read everyone comments here...please don't stop..cause Gaksital will not forgive you. I will be here daily to check this wonderful and insightful site.

Guest bluedelacour

@marie67 Oh please no ... my heart wouldnt resist that and if that happens... please no the face
just one sentence....
there is no words to say HOW WONDERFUL this drama is.... and I love all the characters... even the ones who makes me feel hate lol because that shows how great actors are... 
this week we will have a new girl in town I wonder how will she change the dynamic of our main leads xDDD
happy weekend all!!! XD
EDIT: A random question after watching the MV's.... How MD didnt got killed by those men? It was clearly that the big guy was going to slide her head so KT didnt want to see but how did she run away??? 

mojobobo said:

@Pavlichenko, I LOLed so hard at the Shunji as a grape photo! Sour grapes much? Kekeke. 

@coolreborn, I don’t know if you’re seeing Kangto’s back cos all I’m seeing is his butt XD

@marie67 I also do wonder why the drama never showed us who saved Mok Dan though. That’s some BIG plot hole there lol.

Archived