[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

Oh my my......so much discussion and debate over Mok Dan vs Rie. You guys who contribute to this discussion are awesome, no matter which side you are on. That's the thing I love about soompi thread, so alive so interesting. Every morning or when I take a break away from my computer, I find so many posts that I have a hard time keeping up and I am seriously lagging in my reading. Now my 2 cents worth(this is a cliche but this time I really mean 2 cents because all you gals & guys write tons)
Mok Dan: I like her character. Must admit I was quite annoyed by her at times when she was careless and had to get Gaksital to save her. Also when she so stubbornly held on to her views. The writer could have developed her character more and better by giving her layers and depth but I think they chose her character to be the epitome of purity, innocence, idealism, incorruptibility and till-death comes type of loyalty. As the show move towards the finish, there might still be opportunities for Mok Dan to show her greatness. I never doubt her loyalty and willing to die for the cause nor for her Young Master. But there might arise situations where she has to choose one or the other.
JSY: There were times she was bleh and a couple of times she was good. Overall nothing particularly bad or awesome in her acting. Strange, I like her more as herself in the BTS. But I can see she really behaves her age which is again, not a bad thing. I am getting why Joowon says that when JSY comes on the set, everyone's mood changes. Her smile is totally infectious. I think at the moment, she is best playing a character close to her own personality, beautiful, cheery, optimistic, girl next door type. She has yet to develop enough depth to play complex characters. 
Rie: I totally dislike her in the begnning although when the stills of the drama came out, I was more attracted to her than Mok Dan. She looks so sultry, sexy and gorgeous. But after the interesting introduction of her character(I love it when she stepped on Kenji and slapped Taro), she just became boring. I had expected so much of her character to kick richard simmons(i dont mean physically) but she just didn't deliver. In fact she seemed weak as in she just got obeyed because she was Ueno's daughter and Shunji pretty much stepped all over her and her retaliation was so weak that it made me mad. I wanted her to outsmart Shunji and not looked helpless and frustrated by him. Only in the past episodes I find Rie more interesting. I start to see the conflict within her, the promise of a change. I hope she will turn around and see that she shouldn't live in the past and let hatred ruin her life more than what it has already done. Even if she cannot bring herself to do something noble for Joseon or the cause, I hope she can be true to herself
HCA: I had expected more of her since she is definitely more experienced than JSY. But the initial episodes were a big yawn. She moved so slowly that it reminded me of a sloth, I don't think slow mo = sultriness, right? Basically, she just does it all the time and has either thatt come hither look in her eyes or angry woman look. But in the last 2 episodes, I am beginning to appreciate HCA's acting. She really brought forth the inner struggles Rie was feeling, how conflicted she must have felt for loving Kangto and yet knowing full well that his heart is not with her. I expect her to deliver more great stuff in the coming episodes and going by the recent ones, she is fully capable of doing it. 
In short, I think the writers invested a lot more in writing the male characters and not the female ones. Kangto and Shunji are just so marvellously sculptured and layered. I can't blame them as they have already done a good job in writing all those other characters. Rarely have I seen that in other shows. It's a pity about the female characters but I can go by it and just enjoy the drama

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@starlitelet I understand. I like her character too but not her deeds so far.
The writer has revealed the heart of one's character skilfully. We were led in our perspective that Kang-To was not all that bad because of his interactions with the people he loves. Kenji and Koiso were bad because they showed no remorse when they killed KT's mom even when they found out that they could be wrong about Kang San. We were unsure about Taro. Initially he showed his humanity when Kenji died but when he sent the nanny's daughter as comfort woman knowingly, he met his judgment with the audience. At this point of the drama, there is still potential for Rie and even Shunji to change. Also for Tamao and Abe to be on the Independence side. There is a junior officer with a moustache (the one Shunji grabbed when Mik Dan went missing and he asked him "where's MD?") who frowned during the Muruyama and Kang-To debacle. It was only a two second shot of his face but I thought it was interesting.
Lastly, who wouldn't love Kang-To? Such a presence, charisma and passion in that young man that he overshadows the rest. P.S. I thought City Hunter was kick a*s until the last episode. I hope Gaksital won't be that way. Gaksital fighting!

Guest sunshine4ever

Hi everyone, so technical problems arised. lol. My post got wiped out by my own hands. Thank you Soomp. The img tag is awesome. A lot better than the other thing. My post got wiped out because I was trying to not use img tag *sighs*

I was saying how episodes 19-20 had nothing more than just KT & MD holding hands which made me go back and found most of the scenes that they were holding each other's hands. Most of the times he held her hand and so tightly, too!  There were some scenes of her holding/locking her hand in his as well. I like the scene that both of them ran away from SJ and also Rie & Jun. They were holding each other's hands and ran away together. If the ending seems as dramatic as them both dying (which I doubt) I hope they will still be holding each other's hand. :) Enjoy & pay attention to their hands-holding scenes in this post especially episodes 19-20. KT held her hand so tight. Holding-hands is a physical intimacy between two people. Enjoy <3.

KTMD-hands01-1.jpg
KTMD-hands02.jpg
KTMD-hands03.jpg
KTMD-hands04.jpg
KTMD-hands05.jpg
KTMD-hands06.jpg
KTMD-hands08.jpg
KTMD-hands10.jpg
KTMD-hands11.jpg
KTMD-hands12.jpg
KTMD-hands13.jpg
KTMD-hands14.jpg
KTMD-hands15.jpg
KTMD-hands16-1.jpg
KTMD-hands17.jpg
KTMD-hands00.jpg
KTMD-hands19.jpg
KTMD-hands20-1.jpg

I like this scene below when BM & MD were riding the horse (running away from SJ). If only the ending would be like this. KT & MD running away together after their missions are done. <333 After that have a family of their own. :D
ridinghorse.jpg

Guest kaeruchan

mrdimples said:

Rie: 
Only in the past episodes I find Rie more interesting. I start to see the conflict within her, the promise of a change. I hope she will turn around and see that she shouldn't live in the past and let hatred ruin her life more than what it has already done. Even if she cannot bring herself to do something noble for Joseon or the cause, I hope she can be true to herself

OMO! I just slept and so many actions had happened in this thread. lol. Ok guys, PEACE! We all love Gaksital and we are here to support them not fight. We have opinions and preferences but we can only watch the drama. The story is in the hands of the writers.

Love Gaksital!!! Support Gaksital!!! Fighting!!! :x

Considering the struggles she has experienced and the life she has chosen to lead Mok Dan ought to be a far more layered character. I think we all naturally expect that of her. I'll be the first to agree that the characterization has been lacking regarding her. Whether its because the writer didn't invest as much time in her or didn't think she needed more conflict, I'll never know. Rie has a lot more going on probably because she was always envisioned to have a journey of her own. So she has been getting a lot more interesting with each episode.
Now I love Mok Dan and Kang To together. They are not just the show's OTP but the pairing I adore in the show. I can understand if folks like Kang To and Rie more because of the kind of chemistry the actors share. For instance, the hospital scene, as gorgeous as it was felt like it worked almost entirely due to those amazing, longing looks Joo Won gave Jin Se Yun. She responded a bit and the little hint of a smile was nice but I would have liked a bit more intensity. I think I enjoyed it more when she called him on the phone in episode 20 because it indicated just how much she trusted him now. Even their brief hand hold in ep 20 worked better because of Jin Se Yun's reactions. The hospital scene just makes me swoon over and over because of Joo Won's ability to make you feel like he's crazy about her and misses her. 
I think experience counts for a lot and Jin Se Yun is starting off. Two shows down the line she might be very different around her male co-star. I just hope the writer makes her initiate things more. That will give us a chance to see Mok Dan making an effort.
@flipz mentioned that Damsari didn't really have a moment in ep 19 to react to Kang To being Gaksital. I agree. That was a real bummer. We saw them hug (I squeed coz papa-in-law and Kang To is so precious) but we were supposed to assume that Damsari already knew it was Kang To under the mask. Was that it? It seemed like it. Later when they were talking it was all obviously out in the open. A moment there for the reveal would have been nice. But, if they wanted Damsari to have guessed then a comment from him about knowing that it was Kang To would have helped tie up some loose ends for us.Another plot hole in the same episode...just like Anna's death not being conveyed to Damsari (or being mourned by him) an Konno's death essentially being brushed aside. Its crunch time now but I hope during the next 8 episodes they will tie up some of those loose ends for us. Its the first time we had an issue really.
Oh unless we count the nasty little circus spy girl who Kang To identified as a mole. Amusing how that topic hasn't come up because she is still there and there has been plenty of time to expose her and boot her out. She hasn't helped Shunji in a few episodes but its yet another little plot hole that needs to be revisited soon.

And regarding some of the discussions previously, I know that feathers might have been ruffled and folks might be upset or a bit peeved. I'm of the "lets hug it out" school of thought too. :) Lets take a step back and then resume our discussion the way we used to. Differences in opinion are what make this thread so much fun to read. But I think our differences ought to help one another learn more about a topic or issue and not make us feel uncomfortable or reluctant to visit soompi and post. 
*group hug* :)

Guest sunshine4ever

Hi guys, is this Jin Se Yeon's twitter? If it is, can someone please see what she posted and/or if she posted anything relating to BM production? Thanks.

https://twitter.com/jinseyeon

I found it at this FB: https://www.facebook.com/BridalMaskKBS

@sunshine4ever : Wah! So many holding hands pics, yeah I can relate with the holding hands part. You can convey even the most complex emotion with just holding hands and be contented with it. *based from experience* Anyway, can you tell me where you get that chibi pics of yours? If its ok, I really like
Gaksital chibi pics. Thanks!

@sunshine4ever I just tried to run that through a translator and it looked like it was about a cat named Andre. Hehe. ;) And thank you for the gorgeous caps up there. All the hand holding scenes and shipper moments are making me gooey. :D :x
EDIT: the twitter account looks legit because Joo Won is following her too. :)

Guest texashot

@sunshine4ever, thank you the wonderful pictures. Can you post a pictures of Kangto To's back (close view) when he follow Mok Dan to the inn for laundry duty?

Guest RoxyYEH

Shout out to @stoffkimba @Starlitelet @serendipity8989 @marie67!!!
You all have been such great contributors to this thread. And I always enjoy reading your insights and spazzes. Not to mention the debates since both sides always makes valid points. So I think it's a bit sad that what (probably) is a misunderstanding caused some people to get upset. It's intriguing what this drama does to us... so despite differences in opinions, let's all just enjoy Gaksital peacefully together! Keep sharing your insights like you've been doing! :D
*hugs*

Guest stoffkimba

edit: I just checked back in for PMs and realized that the discussion here seems to have slowed down again after my last post, which wasn't what I wanted. (Actually, my intent was to accomplish the opposite - but, as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.) Maybe that has got nothing to do with it, but if so, I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for everybody else losing their interest, as well. I would delete the post entirely, but that doesn't seem to be possible (?). Please, everybody just have a nice time on the forum. *waves*

Archived