[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

Guest Starlitelet

marie67 said:

I think everybody who hates Mokdan/dislike her will shut up if the producers show(-ed) us a flashback of her mother being tortured and her witnessing it. Its those flashbacks that make it more layered. We just heard her talking about why she hates the Japanese guys so much, and she said the ones who wears that Uniform, so its not all Japanese cuz she was friends with Shunji before he went to the dark side.

Sorry for my language but its getting so annoying to read everywhere so much hateful comments about Mokdan. Its disrupting the show.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@soomp

Love the comparison between the two in the pictures. I think the big one that's missing is one I read from the dramabeans recap.

11. MD: Loved Gaksital, Hated KT
11. Rie: Loved KT, Hated Gaksital

When in reality, it's both the same person playing a dual(or multiple) persona.

Starlitelet said: marie67 said:

I think everybody who hates Mokdan/dislike her will shut up if the producers show(-ed) us a flashback of her mother being tortured and her witnessing it. Its those flashbacks that make it more layered. We just heard her talking about why she hates the Japanese guys so much, and she said the ones who wears that Uniform, so its not all Japanese cuz she was friends with Shunji before he went to the dark side.

Sorry for my language but its getting so annoying to read everywhere so much hateful comments about Mokdan. Its disrupting the show.

I find it fascinating that people would root for Rie because her character is more layered. It is like saying you like a man or a woman who has a little bad. There is a Chinese saying for that! Anyway, chill! think of it as, ALL the characters in the show are there to move along plot for our hero. <3 Is it only me but I think Baek Gun is more of the hero cause he is always there to save Gaksital's butt when no one else could. So you see, the writer uses everyone to move the plot. Baek Gun is the wild card when all else fails. *lol*

@marie67

I dunno if you read my last post directed towards you from the last page, but even after all that you have written, I still don't see how you come to the conclusion that MD is a layered character. I also don't get how criticizing or hating MD disrupts the flow of the story. I'm interested in your response to what I wrote on my prior post.

A person who is a layered character is like a diamond. You put a diamond under a light and you see something different in each face. Each cut of a diamond is different changing your initial thought.

@sheza

I can't speak for all the Rie supporters, but it's not that I'm rooting for Rie and KT per say, but that she is a hell of a lot more interesting character than MD. There's a potential of development, internal, and external conflict. MD and KT are unconditionally loved, which is a romance cliche to begin with (BORING), and MD is just one-dimensional that I rather see more of Rie's story.

I'd rather  love to also see Jun's story, the person who almost killed KT in Rie's flashback, and maybe even BG's backstory way more than MD's.

Guest Starlitelet

@marie67:  I think everybody who hates Mokdan/dislike her will shut up if the producers show(-ed) us a flashback of her mother being tortured and her witnessing it.
In what universe isn't this rude? I don't give my opinion by telling others that they would shut up if this "something something" were to happen.
Shunji never tortured her nor her father at the beginning. He only became dark later on. Her ignorance also led him further on the dark path. Look, I'm not saying it's her fault to have treated him that way, or that she made him crazy. Though, if we're looking at Shunji and Mok Dan as friends in general, they're both at fault. A true friend wouldn't leave her/his friend lost or confused. Kang To and Shunji's friendship, however, is more complex than Shunji's friendship with Mok Dan. I'm not crazy to ask her to become close to Shunji now that he's like this. I was talking about when Shunji first put on a uniform.
Even if they showed a flashback of Mok Dan's mom being tortured and her seeing it, I don't think it would change any appeal in Mok Dan for me. It'll just further justify how she's so perfect to be able to stay pure and just even after all the hurdles that were thrown at her since childhood. Would that improve her characterization? Characterization does not mean that I literally have to see that character having their ups and downs. In other words, the scriptwriter doesn't have to give a whole back-story of the character to tell me that it's good characterization, per se. You're supposed to know that there's character development just by the character's dialogues and actions. And perfect characters have a hard time developing because there's simply no room for improvement.

sheza

said:I find it fascinating that people would root for Rie because her character is more layered. It is like saying you like a man or a woman who has a little bad. There is a Chinese saying for that! Anyway, chill! think of it as, ALL the characters in the show are there to move along plot for our hero. <3 Is it only me but I think Baek Gun is more of the hero cause he is always there to save Gaksital's butt when no one else could. So you see, the writer uses everyone to move the plot. Baek Gun is the wild card when all else fails. *lol*

flipz said:  @flipzSorry I read your post but forgot to reply it ^^. To be honest, Mokdan's character was awesome in the beginning but in the last few episodes she has been neglected. I think not every character in a drama has to be layered. But I think Mokdan is also a layered character but not as deep as Kangto, Shunji or Rie.  The reason why most people hate her is because she has been overused as a bait to lure Gaksital. This has made her seem worthless.  Anyway I really respect everybody's opinion and all, but its just that almost everywhere they say hateful comments about Mokdan while they are not trying to understand her. Mokdan is actually very simple but her being so simple makes her complex cuz you never know what to expect of her. And it was just that I was watching Gaksital on VIKI and boy, the comments there! I just had to spill my emotions out here XD Oh, and I never hated Rie. Only when she is lovey dovey with Kangto and thats just being envious of her :P  

@Starlitelet

Sorry but English is not my native language and when I translate my native language into English, then I dont know any other synonimes for 'shut up' . I think you took my words too personally. If so, then I am hereby really sorry.

As for Shunji: he choose to be not her friend anymore by going into the dark side. Mokdan cant go and cheer him on when he is being an officier who tortures people. Shunji treats Mokdan as if it is her fault for becoming such a monster. He is obsessed with her because she adored Gaksital and not him. And she was in love with her young master, the one whom she was waiting for. Shunji knew this and I think he couldnt take it anymore that she wouldnt bait an eye for him.

@flipz I hear you and I agree. Both Mok Dan and her father are more of a liability than an asset to the hero right now. I do hope the writer will make them more interesting later on. Having said that, I still prefer Mok Dan over Rie because Rie is rather spoilt and selfish. Her only redeeming quality so far is that she likes our hero. If she could have Kang-To without turning good, she would. So, from a personal standpoint, I don't like Rie but from the drama viewpoint, I like her. Her character is interesting. And right from the onset, our hero had his odds stacked against him. Both sides hated him. So it is good that he is now getting more people (a little more love) on his side even if they were on the bad side before. It creates an unexpected twist and gives our hero a little more hope, a little more strength to carry on.

The drama has its way of sucking us in on a personal level. That is why we love Gaksital! Let's not forget that while we have our personal opinion, the writers have their story to tell so let's just enjoy it without getting personal with each other.

flipz said:

A person who is a layered character is like a diamond. You put a diamond under a light and you see something different in each face. Each cut of a diamond is different changing your initial thought.

@sheza

I can't speak for all the Rie supporters, but it's not that I'm rooting for Rie and KT per say, but that she is a hell of a lot more interesting character than MD. There's a potential of development, internal, and external conflict. MD and KT are unconditionally loved, which is a romance cliche to begin with (BORING), and MD is just one-dimensional that I rather see more of Rie's story.

I'd rather  love to also see Jun's story, the person who almost killed KT in Rie's flashback, and maybe even BG's backstory way more than MD's.

Guest Starlitelet

marie67 said:

As for Shunji: he choose to be not her friend anymore by going into the dark side. Mokdan cant go and cheer him on when he is being an officier who tortures people. Shunji treats Mokdan as if it is her fault for becoming such a monster. He is obsessed with her because she adored Gaksital and not him. And she was in love with her young master, the one whom she was waiting for. Shunji knew this and I think he couldnt take it anymore that she wouldnt bait an eye for him.

Right now I am so torn as to whether I should be so invested in this series. I am the type who likes happy endings but somehow I don't think there will be one. Cause in wars there are no winners, only losers. But yet, this series is so compelling and captivating.

Guest Starlitelet

htly6f said:

You and Flipz explain character development like a true pro and I couldn't agree more  ... a person does not technically have to witness tragedy or ups and down to have rich character development because honestly when they shows small scenes of Kang To (drinking friend - Tamao) who we don't see as having much ups and downs since it seem he have already like Kang To at the beginning adopt to the Japanese way but lately small scene of him, his expression and action sparks some development in him that if given more screentime would be interesting as well.

And honestly, I don't blame the actress playing MokDan because I do like MokDan...the fault lies with the story line and plot in that from beginning MokDan has been development to be just a resistance and that all sacrifice from people around her is for a better cause, for freedom that there isn't much left that can develop her or left for us to see her struggle ... I mean it doesn't seem to be any struggles (as in action or expression) with MokDan in that no matter who dies around her, yes she will be hurt but she will continue to fight through and through until she dies which just end up making her 1 dimensional ... for me, it would had been a greater development for her to struggle with the purpose for fight (like KangTo did at first when he turn his back on his roots to side with the Japanese) .. OR heck, I would love to see her being conflicted towards Shunji (as she was part of the reason he don the Japanese suit, the reason that he join in this struggle between Japanese vs Korean, the reason he becomes dark) .... I think that conflict would've of given her a good character development because it'll place her in that thin line of saving a friend or hating a friend but alas it did not because once he don the suit, she turn her back on him ... AND again it is not anyone fault but the writing.

Thus why the other character themselves, Kang To, Shunji, Rie, Tamao, and heck Jun are more interesting for me.

@starlitelet yes, we all have good and bad traits but in Rie's case it is not mistakes she made. She made a choice to bow to the Japanese regime. I was hoping to see an internal struggle within her when Ueno asked for comfort woman to be gathered. Perhaps having being forced to be a prostitute at the age of 9, she has become apathetic towards it. Still, I am disappointed. I pity her but I can't say I can overlook these flaws just because she loves our hero and has a potential to change because of him. So if Kang-To was my son, I would approve Mok Dan but not Rie. Yes, boring but at least not cold hearted.

Guest Starlitelet

sheza

said: @starlitelet yes, we all have good and bad traits but in Rie's case it is not mistakes she made. She made a choice to bow to the Japanese regime. I was hoping to see an internal struggle within her when Ueno asked for comfort woman to be gathered. Perhaps having being forced to be a prostitute at the age of 9, she has become apathetic towards it. Still, I am disappointed. I pity her but I can't say I can overlook these flaws just because she loves our hero and has a potential to change because of him. So if Kang-To was my son, I would approve Mok Dan but not Rie. Yes, boring but at least not cold hearted.

sheza said: @starlitelet yes, we all have good and bad traits but in Rie's case it is not mistakes she made. She made a choice to bow to the Japanese regime. I was hoping to see an internal struggle within her when Ueno asked for comfort woman to be gathered. Perhaps having being forced to be a prostitute at the age of 9, she has become apathetic towards it. Still, I am disappointed. I pity her but I can't say I can overlook these flaws just because she loves our hero and has a potential to change because of him. So if Kang-To was my son, I would approve Mok Dan but not Rie. Yes, boring but at least not cold hearted.

There are too much arguments with who KT should be with...maybe the writer will just kill off KT at the end... oh no not a sad ending... i hope that really doesn't happen... i need to see a happy ever after ending for KT and whoever will be by his side (MD or Rie or Shunji)... LOL (don't know if Shunji will be by KT's side but just a thought) ... As long as KT lives on, i'll be happy   :P   So story, please oh please oh please let KT find happiness!!!!  

\:D/

P.S.  I don't think KT has any love feeling for Rie because if he did he would have remember her after those 5 years.  I think KT will always and forever love MD because he remembers only her after all these years he thought she die.  Isn't that what true love is all about???  I am loving this story of them!!!

I go away for ONEEE day and this is happens? AIGOO...
5pnzmd.gif
Can I just say, I personally believe that anyone can say anything about mokdan because well... they are opinions. but writing that she is just a bad character w/out explaining why properly would obviously create tensions.But then again, it would create tensions between a pro-mokdan fan and anti (is that a strong word?) mokdan person.So we all should just think about that....
If you don't like her that's cool. I personally might not like it but that is your opinion and yours alone. If anyone else doesn't like it... scroll! is there is a reason for it!
Also, if you have disagreements may I suggest using PM's instead of creating a fight on this thread? 
People lets not fight, we are here to support the good and the bad of gaksital,... to create a platform where we can discuss topics related to the show with civility. Lets get back on track.

Guest love_song

I believe it's best for all of us to drop with the whole situation. Let's all hug it out, because the argument is not going to get any better since everybody is entitled to their own opinions. I, for one love that both ladies are going for the heart of Kangto. Even though Kangto's heart belongs to Mokdan. Now, I'm just praying Shunji would drop Mokdan and fight for Kangto too. SHUNJI DON"T LET THE WOMEN TAKE YOUR BEST BEST FRIEND FROM YOU~~ (Sorry, I was revisiting the previous episodes and Shunji and Kangto's scenes are too DIE for! They're just so cute! Bromance is something you cannot explain.) So, please go back to the simpler days Shunji and Kangto *cries* 

Archived