[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

Guest serendipity8989

sheza said:

ricecak3

wrote:

»

What was the purpose of that scene with the grandma and the girl? It was a pointless 5 minutes scene...<br />

And have anyone noticed that the grandma is Shunji's nanny in episode 7 and briefly in ep 1? Couldn't they have found some other old lady to play the role?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ricecak3

serendipity8989

said:

sheza

said:

ricecak3

wrote:

»

What was the purpose of that scene with the grandma and the girl? It was a pointless 5 minutes scene...<br />

And have anyone noticed that the grandma is Shunji's nanny in episode 7 and briefly in ep 1? Couldn't they have found some other old lady to play the role?

Guest serendipity8989

ricecak3 said:

serendipity8989

said:

sheza

said:

ricecak3

wrote:

»

Ahhh, I like this comment from the Dramabeans reacp:
"I feel like they’ve finally figured out the perfect hero-villain balance when it comes to Kang-to and Shunji outsmarting each other and catching on to the other’s suspicions faster. Kang-to was frustratingly trusting before, but now he’s meeting Shunji lie-for-lie and it makes every interaction between them charged with murderous tension. When Shunji hugged Mok Dan entirely as a show for Kang-to just to see his reaction, knowing what he knows? That was sick and kind of genius. Now I look forward to their cat-and-mouse games, because it’s more like cat-and-cat, and someone’s going to lose an eye."
See, we are getting somewhere. Kangto is not just doing things blindly. Excitingggggg!
@Jessi15, I don't know why so many pple hate Mok Dan hahaha. 

serendipity8989

said:

secretlyforyou

said:

However, I agree with you that Rie reminds me of the old KT, so I can see there being some connection there. It's strange because I don't think MD will ever know that darkness that KT was in before he changed. But I think Rie understands, and therefore, there's some attraction/bond there. Also, the fact that Rie is gorgeous doesn't really help. And that's why when I saw Rie x KT talking, I truly saw KT's sincerity. And that's why I don't like it that Rie has the ability to reinstate KT, or save him in one way other another, while MD is kind of doing the *not-so-obvious* saving. I don't like that KT has to go to Rie to ask for help. =( I feel like KT's vulnerability is really being seen by Rie & I want MD to see it too.
Also, at first I wanted Rie to help KT, but now, if she gives up her life for KT, then it shows how much she loved him, & I don't know if I want to see that! Because I want MD to be the one that LOVES KT more, & I want THEIR relationship to be unbreakable, or impenetrable. But if Rie dies for KT, THEN that shakes things up. 
I want MD to see that KT is working with RIE (or trying to seduce her), especially when MD knows that KT knows that Rie tried to kill MD. I want to see some tension there. There should be some conflict within KT x MD relationship; I just want more scenes w/ them! Good or bad! :-P

Guest serendipity8989

@flipz 
I like your alternate scenario, which is in a sense more realistic, and kind of sad at the same time, too. 
But I guess the reason why I ship KT x MD over KT x Rie is because of who each character is.
Rie submitted to the Japanese ultimately, and she's somewhat of a "puppet" for her "father" and serves under the Japanese regime, ultimately betraying her own country and people. 
MD would never do that, as we all know. Is that SMART? Maybe not, but that's the kind of person MD is, and I really like her for it. She shows bravery and strength that I think is needed in order for KT to be who he is. I think KT loves her for that too. 
I think if KT's love interest was Rie, he wouldn't have much a reason to be BM, or realize what it means to be BM. And it wouldn't have impacted him, or the audience as much. It's b/c of MD's undying loyalty, faith, bravery, and standards/morals that makes her special & what makes their relationship seem so much more *deep* & special. Not SOLELY because of the "first love" trope. 
So, I don't know.
MD & RIE started liking KT for similar reasons in the beginning, because he ultimately saved them. But I think KT was impacted MORE by MD than RIE because MD responded in a way that touched him. 
MD went to find his knife and returned it to him when they were younger - then she fainted. I think that really touched him, and she reciprocated his feelings. 
KT saved Rie, but that was it. They didn't have intense conversations, they didn't go through life/death situations, they didn't witness each others' parents getting murdered, and so forth. Less connection in that sense.
Also, I think the fact that KT was saving people since his younger days, kinda foreshadows him being BM. He always had those qualities within him, it's just MD that helped nurture it, and bring it out to the fullest level. NOT Rie. 
So that's my reason. But it's just my personal observation/opinion.& I don't mind that people ship Rie x KT, because everyone's free to want to ship whoever they want. And I wouldn't be too upset if that happened -- although I think EVERYONE knows it's not gonna happen (just because it's a K drama). But WOW your post really made me think!
I'm really looking forward to reading more of your posts, flipz. 

I love what Girlfriday wrote in Dramabeans:
Oh man, how much do I love where we’re going with Rie? Her Kang-to/Gaksital conflict is the perfect mirror-opposite of Mok Dan’s (it’s the man she loves and the mask she hates). And still there’s so much more to explore. I can’t believe she found out, but I love that she knows, because it throws her into a much more precarious position: Does she follow her heart and protect Kang-to? Or does she follow her orders to kill him? Mok Dan finding out the secret identity is very different in that it ends the conflict for her—she just chooses Kang-to, which introduces a fraught secrecy to their romance, but loving him was never a question for her. Rie, on the other hand, gets turned upside-down by knowing the truth, and it’s great to watch.
this show is full of dualities and stuff that makes us analyse, dissect, discuss, debate, speculate......It picks your brains like no other, I just love it. 

Guest serendipity8989

In other words:
MD is the main factor in why and how KT came to be a TRUE hero/ BM. If he loved Rie, he would have no real reason to want to be BM. They would just be a Korean power couple in the midst of the Japanese. They would have to reason to fight for Korea. They would be complacent in being in their comfortable, high rankings within Japanese society.

Guest rynhanna

I do agreed with your opinion about Mok Dan character. She is the courage, the purpose, the hope and everything to Kangto, whilst Rie is not.
Jessi15 said:

Reading all the comments and I feel like I should come to MD's defence here. MD character was never meant to be a strong, badass, think-quick-on-your-feet, gunho type of girl. She is just a normal, next-door type of girl who has determination, strong faith in God and human nature and she was supposed to be the childhood love of KT/BM and that's what she is in the drama. If you just sit back and think about her situation for a minute, her circumstance IS NOT the same as Rie as they are from different path of life and their fates have just become entwined in the struggle for the love of one man. Rie character is typecasted as strong-minded, resolute and attractive in her own way and who doesn't as she needs to survive for just being a daughter to Ueno, she was like an underdog to him, to be a pawn in the game no more no less. I don't know why but I always feel somewhat uneasy every time I watch Rie being alone with that old man and my mind just keeps going back to that earlier scene in the drama where he layed his hand on her, it was really creepy!. Who knows what else Rie has endured while living under the same roof and being mind-controlled by Ueno. Rie's circumstance called for a survival whereas MD life is not that drastic in a sense that although she has seen her mother killed by the Japanese and hardly seen her father because he was away fighting for the cause but she has a relatively easy life just being a mask changer in the circus. She is surrounded by love, from circus leader  her who treats her as his daughter and by all people in the circus except for the traitor girl. Her dream and hope was only to reunite with her father and the YM whom she was destined to meet while on the run years ago. Being a lonely girl whose just lost her mother, she came to embrace this young man who showed her love and care and hence left a strong impression on her young mind. They may not have felt love but it grows from infatuation to love as they grow up and hold dear to the memories they once share.

Some of the opinions that MD was so pathetic to run to KT and put him in danger but that it because she knows that only him can accomplish what none other could do. She was practically an prisoner without having any contact with her father and other comrades (well there are none left!). So what is she supposed to do? She needs help but she can't fight the battle because she is not that martial -arts skilled and this factor has been built from the very beginning and consistent throughout.  At least it shows that MD has the full trust in KT that he will know what needs to be done and help their people. MD was not that selfish to think only of her safety and KT's whilst watching other lives fall into misfortune. She got caught, kicked left right and centre by everybody and yet she determined to sacrifice her freedom by remaining by SJ's side whom she despised with all her being because she thinks that that is the only way to help KT/BM. She could have and had the opportunity to run away and not be a burden to KT(she did want to run away with her father to keep BM safe) but instead she chooses to stay back to be with KT and share his burden, facing the danger together and I love her for it. She is sticking to her promise to KT that she will follow him to hell and back. For someone whose life has been very smooth and easy until she came across KT and reunited with her father, it is a very big decision to make. Her character is there to show how these two young lovers' fates were drawn together at childhood , destined to meet one another in a confronting circumstances years later and after haing come out through all the misunderstandings and heartbreaks, their cruel fate once again stepped in to tear them apart because KT bears the great responsibility on his shoulders of rescuing his people from the darkness and bring hope to a nation under Japanese occupation. That shows the cruelty of war did to an occupied nation and its people. However frustrated I am and how much I want to see KT-MD romantic scenes but I admit that this drama's emphasis is not in the love line of KT-MD but the live of KT who is the hero to Joseon people. They are and will sacrifice their love for a greater cause. KT and MD's love line is and will be taking a back seat until the very end. Although knowing how it must be, I must say the thought doesn't bring much comfort to me since I always have a weakness for romance. Every drama or storyline will have strong and weak characters to compensate one another otherwise it will become unrealistic. MD character is made out to be a weakling but it serves the purpose of moving the plot along and brings some light refreshing entertainment into a very dark and somewhat full of tragic stories. It is proof in the fact that KT-MD love scenes are only there randomly but whenever it happens, it was made to be a beautiful scene, making viewers wanting more but not to deviate or overshadow from the heroic story of BM.  Ri'e's character on the other hand is totally opposite to MD, she is one who has the power and the skill, the training and on top she possesses the same undenying love for KT/BM. I agree that she will prove to be quite useful to KT/BM in the battle ahead with Koshikai because she is one of them. MD does not acquire enough skills to man-handle and confront Rie alone and to help KT fight against Koshikai. KT wants his revenge not only for his family but also to bring down this evil society which brings death and destruction to his country and people. I am not surprised that the BM team decides to bring in a new totally badass, kick-richard simmons-trained character to match Rie.

However in the end, after all the showdowns and battles, the final ending will flow back to what happened to KT-MD and their love. Do they survive and live happily ever after or forever be torn apart? I don't know where the script is heading to but at the moment, I can only say that I am thankful for MD and KT are there for each other however randomly and scarce it might be. MD may be shown as a weak, typical, uncharacteristic type of  a girl but without her, who knows what type of a person KT turns out to be. May be the death of his brother would have awaken the good side in him but there is no doubt that the love of BY also heals his tortured soul and makes him see that he can be so much more than just a man behind the mask.

I am sorry for my rambling but I just need to get it out...

hmmm, it seems that people have turned this into a Rie vs. Mokdan thing. But I think they will both impact his life, but in different ways. MokDan is the love of his life but Rie is his kindred spirit. He connects with her in a way that is different than he does with MokDan. I don't think either is necessarily bigger or better than the other. Not sure this need to pit the girls against each other. lol

@raito1310 almost all my info comes from baidu cuz first I understand chinese so it's much easier to search and sieve what's new or interesting. Secondly the chinese are crazy about this show and Joowon(my bias) and there's enough of them to keep their sites really updated and also translators who quickly does it from Korean to Chinese. For that particular BTS photo, I have not seen the video yet. The best source will actually be the KBS Gaksital official website but the video is terribly slow to download so i wait for the chinese netizens to do it or someone to upload on YT(which is best for viewing). 
Here's another one BTS photo of ep 19. There's more but not significant so I wont post. 810a19d8bc3eb135bf6ba023a61ea8d3fc1f44fd
Kangto to Baek Gun: I am not going to score brownie points with my future father-in-law if we don't get him to a more comfortable place soon. Don't you want me to get married and stop adding to your laundry load? 

Guest oteokkebaby

mrdimples said:

My Heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(those tears T..................................T Joowon, why do you always make me cry with you)
Breaks......................................................................................................................

into pieces.......................................................................................

Show! What have you done to me................am going to bed now with an aching heart. 

serendipity8989 said: @flipz 
I like your alternate scenario, which is in a sense more realistic, and kind of sad at the same time, too. 
But I guess the reason why I ship KT x MD over KT x Rie is because of who each character is.
Rie submitted to the Japanese ultimately, and she's somewhat of a "puppet" for her "father" and serves under the Japanese regime, ultimately betraying her own country and people. 

Guest Jessi15

mojobobo said: Ahhh, I like this comment from the Dramabeans reacp:
"I feel like they’ve finally figured out the perfect hero-villain balance when it comes to Kang-to and Shunji outsmarting each other and catching on to the other’s suspicions faster. Kang-to was frustratingly trusting before, but now he’s meeting Shunji lie-for-lie and it makes every interaction between them charged with murderous tension. When Shunji hugged Mok Dan entirely as a show for Kang-to just to see his reaction, knowing what he knows? That was sick and kind of genius. Now I look forward to their cat-and-mouse games, because it’s more like cat-and-cat, and someone’s going to lose an eye."
See, we are getting somewhere. Kangto is not just doing things blindly. Excitingggggg!
@Jessi15, I don't know why so many pple hate Mok Dan hahaha. 

serendipity8989 said: I hope so, and I felt reaffirmed when KT grabbed MD's hand as if to comfort her. But it's just nerve wrecking, because the other people that died for KT/BM, they were loyal to BM & what BM represents to the Koreans. However, with Rie, she's not loyal to the ideals of BM, nor is does she *love/respect* BM. She likes KT, not BM. Of course, since KT & BM = the same person, she ultimately is gonna love BM too. And what KT did for her at the gisaeng house, is representative of something BM would do.
But it just irks me cause knowing that Rie died for KT (b/c she loves him), seems different, and gives it more weight, just because she loves him. I'm not saying KT loves her, but still.. IDK his hesitation at the end was unnerving =(
I hope KT doesn't waver in his feelings toward MD! I agree that KT's heart belongs to MD and vice versa for MD. 

Guest sunshine4ever

KHOGirl and oteokkebaby, please kindly go back to your old post to edit and take out the images you quoted. Thank you so much.

@cloe -  not sure if you were here when we were discussing about actors, but moderator had requested that we do so in actors' thread for that...

I did not watch ep 19 with subs and missed out ep 20. Just want to post some captures. I just saw a resemblance between MD & KT and Rie & KT. First in episode 18 MD unmasked BM because he was injured and now Rie drugged KT and saw through his identity. It's so ironic, but I like this drama because they did not risk letting all of these real things happened especially to KT/BM. Like literally, no one could get through KT (all the men were trying to kill him and so many times SJ plotted to kill BM yet failed) yet MD & Rie saw through his disguise so easily. I saw a totally vulnerable KT laying in front of Rie. Good thing that Rie has feelings for KT otherwise he'd be a goner. Anyway, don't you think it's the same pattern going on? KT did not end up killing MD, but rather kept saving her and in the process of keep saving her, he became a good person. Rie didn't end up killing KT (due to her feelings right now for him). Maybe Rie will be redeemed and saved by KT. I like dramaok's perspective. Maybe there is some light in Rie and because of KT she'll be lightened up and help him out since KT cannot and definitely won't survive with so much darkness where he's heading. But I'm not sure about KT loving her. I'm just saying if KT can get Rie and persuade her, she'll be able to work with him. But if Rie's jealous of MD, I don't think Rie will be pulled back by her actions. I think KT needs more people to be on his side and maybe Rie can be. She knows the organization well, too.

KT your weakness is woman! haha

Please note that this perspective will be changed after watching all of episode 20. I saw a lot of spoilers going on. :D But I like this scene.

BM20_RieKT01.jpgBM20_RieKT03.jpgBM20_RieKT03.jpgBM20_RieKT04.jpgBM20_RieKT05.jpgBM20_RieKT06.jpgBM20_RieKT07.jpgBM20_RieKT08.jpgBM20_RieKT09.jpgBM20_RieKT10.jpgBM20_RieKT11.jpg

Guest Jessi15

secretlyforyou said: hmmm, it seems that people have turned this into a Rie vs. Mokdan thing. But I think they will both impact his life, but in different ways. MokDan is the love of his life but Rie is his kindred spirit. He connects with her in a way that is different than he does with MokDan. I don't think either is necessarily bigger or better than the other. Not sure this need to pit the girls against each other. lol

Archived