[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

Guest Starlitelet

@marie67:  I've been trying to Google even just a synopsis of the manhwa but I couldn't find anything on it.  Maybe because it's quite old.   I hope someone here in the forums has read it and will share some details with us.

:)

@Starlitelet: I agree--the writer should really be praised for taking risks. There's a danger that people will just hate the character and not care what happens anymore, but they've managed to give Kang-to something that at least makes us look forward to some sort of redemption.

I think Joo Won also deserves credit for making the Kang-to character work so well. He's convincing when he's vulnerable, and he's also convincing when he's angry and violent. That's difficult to pull off, I think.

There was a discussion in the Dramabeans recap comments about who can portray Kang-to better than Joo Won. I can't immediately think of someone who can successfully walk that thin line among the actors in Joo Won's age range. (But, disclaimer: I'm new to KDramas, and maybe there's a lesser known actor out there I haven't seen yet who may be perfect for the role.) Many actors can do vulnerable or romantic really well, but the kind of almost sadistic rage we see in Kang-to when he tortures people or when he's angry is not easy to portray. I agree that Joo Won over-acts a bit sometimes, but overall, I think he balances all the layers of Kang-to's character very well. Plus his dedication to the role and his willingness to take a risk to portray it considering other actors have refused the role out of fear of some backlash in Japan is also significant.

:)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Starlitelet: I also think JSY is pretty and natural so I can't understand when some people says that she's ugly/not pretty enough.. (on other forums/discussions). Oh well, people's taste is different. Honestly, i came to like JSY from "My daughter is flower", i didn't even notice her before that even though I watched "It's okay, daddy's girl" but some people have noted that she does look a bit like MCW. I think she's improving constantly, this girl has potential.

"Ojakgyo brothers" was the first drama I saw by JW, i heard about Baker King but that drama's storyline didn't attract me so I didn't watch it despite loving the cast. I feel that when he was in OB, he was cute and pretty attractive but in this drama, his hotness just increased by so many levels. Maybe because I'm such a masochists that I'm in love with attractive bad guys (he kinda remind me of JSW from Giant), both are charismatic.

This is my first time seeing Han Chae Ah, she's pretty and charismatic as Hong Joo so I can understand why some people ship her and Kangto, because they're all conflicted characters with bad past that made them hate Joseon. But I feel that opposite attracts and I've seen more Mok Dan than HJ so I'm firm with my ship - KT and MD atw.. I'm hoping that the drama give them better ending even though I feel like everyone is heading towards doom in this drama because of the time setting, it's a horrible time with japanese occupation. Hopefully, the drama will prove my guess wrong.

Guest snguyenova1

Hello everyone.
For some reason I couldn't post on this thread using my usual username but anyway, I must admit that the drama is brilliant. I enjoy every aspect of it- the story, the conflict, the characters as well as the acting, the cinematography and the fight scenes. Haven't posted here before but I was just wondering if anybody spotted the 'unusual' gaksital from ep 5 preview? When I watched the live stream on ionair, I noticed that he was different from gaksital(s) we saw in previous episodes- be it KangSan or stunt doubles & thought he resembled KangTo/JooWon a lot, so I took some snapshots in hq:

a comparison with KangSan
vs2lcsnap-2012-06-07-20h43m55s85-1.png

ep5 preview
the guilty/desperate look on his face after he shot Boon

vlcsnap-2012-06-08-02h24m19s70-1.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-08-02h24m40s76-1.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-15h45m03s161.png

seems to me that KangTo finds out about MokDan's disappearance (the hospital building at the back)
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-15h45m36s108.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-15h46m10s212.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-15h49m24s101.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-15h46m18s38.png
AND decides to save Boon:
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-15h50m09s36.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-09-16h26m48s11.png

...so he goes to the police station (disguised as gaksital) and fights Kenji's men

vlcsnap-2012-06-07-20h41m55s226.png

although you cannot see gaksital's whole facial expression, he looks very much like our main hero

vlcsnap-2012-06-07-20h41m33s22.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-07-20h41m26s148.png

his jaw line
v2lcsnap-2012-06-07-20h49m47s90.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-07-20h39m23s7.png
I'd say it will be KangTo who will come to MokDan's rescue...his hair here seems longer but the haircut is KangTo's

KangSan's side face does not match but KangTo's does:
vs2lcsnap-2012-06-07-20h43m55s85.png
vlcsnap-2012-06-07-20h39m23s7-1.png

Hopefully this makes sense.

Hello everyone.

For some reason I couldn't post on this thread using my usual username but anyway, I must admit that the drama is brilliant. I enjoy every aspect of it- the story, the conflict, the characters as well as the acting, the cinematography and the fight scenes. Haven't posted here before but I was just wondering if anybody spotted the 'unusual' gaksital from ep 5 preview? When I watched the live stream on ionair, I noticed that he was different from gaksital(s) we saw in previous episodes- be it KangSan or stunt doubles

a comparison with KangSan

ep5 preview
the guilty/desperate look on his face after he shot Boon

seems to me that KangTo finds out about MokDan's disappearance (the hospital building at the back)

AND decides to save Boon:

...so he goes to the police station (disguised as gaksital) and fights Kenji's men

although you cannot see gaksital's whole facial expression, he looks very much like our main hero

his jaw line

I'd say it will be KangTo who will come to MokDan

's rescue...his hair here seems longer but the haircut is KangTo's

KangSan's side face does not match but KangTo's does:

Hopefully this makes sense.

OMG if so, then imagine MD being all happy and adoring Gaksital aka Kangto, Kangto will be so touched :) He will be sad yet happy. Oh man I ship these two so hard.I have never seen such a compatible couple. They are so made for each. Their chemistry onscreen, even when they glare at each other, its so hot, and so sizzling, It keeps me astonished.

Cant wait for wednesday to come.

@Eja, thank you for your help

Hey, guys! I've decided to stop being a lurker & to join the discussion :)>-  I'm a fan of "Bridal Mask" since ep 1 and my obsession with this drama just keeps on growing with every new ep :x So much so that I'm even watching it raw and live without waiting for subs lol

About those screeencaps and the possibility of Kang To being BM, yeah, when I first saw the preview, I also thought that the profile of BM in those police office scenes didn't look like KS but more like Kang To. I'm now even more excited for ep 5.

P.S - English is not my native language so sorry if there are some mistakes ;)

Guest united06

Hi Everyone,

Bridal Mask Episodes 3-4 English Soft-Sub Subtitles are out.

image-787C_4FC62E71.jpg

Bridal Mask Episodes 3-4 English Subtitles is a Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4767-bridal-mask-2012/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Guest Starlitelet

@bluedelacour: Sorry if I got the infos wrong. It's been quite a while ^^;
@marie67: Seems like I confused you even further ^^;. Haha - no problem though.

Guest vDrak

@snguyenova1

Nice HQ pictures you got there!

From the angle that it is taken, it resembles Kang-to a lot. But if Kang-to were to wear the Bridal Mask, then he must have or supposedly already met his brother and found out that his brother is behind Bridal Mask? Or maybe he just made a Bridal Mask to rescue Mok Dan. Or maybe it was just a stunt double. Lol. So many possibilities.

I can't help but notice the difference in the 2 Bridal Mask. In the interview, they said that the Bridal Mask made especially for Kang-san was enlarge around the nose area, because he got a big nose lol. That actor was funny in Family Outing.

So if you compare the 2 Bridal Mask together, the nose of the Mask is completely different. Haha.

I'm counting down the days for Bridal Mask (;.

Guest crazy lulu

ok, so i've compiled a list of young actors who could've played lee kangto.

lee seungi
kim soohyun
kim bum
ji chang wook
lee minho
joo won

all leading man material.

lee seungi, for some reason, even with his baby face can pull off the cynical act convincingly. seung gi as kangto would've been believable enough.

kim soohyun, though i see him as a nice guy mostly, can pull of intensity too. and i kind of love his acting.

kim bum, okay, the dude is the most shouty of this bunch, but we know it's in his range to be moody, so i think he would've worked the role well.

ji chang wook, he's warrior baek dong soo to me, so he could've carried a role like this. he's a little shouty when he wants to be but lots of potential.

lee minho, sigh, i kind of wish i was blind so i could pretend he is just THAT good. like a commenter said about his performance in city hunter, he was supposed to BE a cool vigilante, fighting for justice in a corrupt world, but instead, he was just a pretty boy in a vigilante costume. he is NOT an action star/super hero. i wish he was. he is not.

joo won... is lee kangto. ha. joo won is not shouty. i've seen shouty. what he's done so far is what i think lee kangto would do in his desperation to find gaksital and please the order he works for.

i've only seen joo won in and out of ojakgyo brothers, but with gaksital, i am officially a fan. he's doing awesome. can't wait for wednesday! the show's been on my mind, obviously, since i'm here with hypotheticals. haha.

'till wednesday. ~

Guest y101y

I am so in love with Bridal Mask! Everyone in the show is perfect for their role. Can Wednesdays and Thursdays come any faster!!!

I love this drama. It reminds me of a much superior City Hunter or Capital Scandal. Each actor/character is jus so mesmerizing on screen. Every character and almost every moment is so important to the overall arc of the story. You can tell the writers really take care to look at the small as well as the big picture. The cinematography is gorgeous. I love the way they film the action scenes and major props to the costume and set designers for the clothes and vibrant colors.
Joo Won is doing a fabulous job playing Kang-to. He makes me both love and loath the character in a matter of seconds. I think it will break his heart when he finds out about his brother. That has been one of his biggest motives in doing what he does only to find out it has all been a lie, just pretend. That the hyung he looks up to and wants to  save is lie their father in that he puts the movement above everything else. I am curious as to how that transforms his character.
Of the two kick richard simmons females, I am in love with Rei. Soo much badassness in those scenes we got. We also learn something of her values and code of basic human conduct in the situation involving the waiter. I cannot wait for the show to divel into her backstory and show us why like Kang-to she is against her mother country and is loyal to Japan and calls the creepy ahjussi (he was waaay too handsy) father. 
I am in the minority here (I think an island actually) but I am more interested in Rei and Kang-to than Kang-to/Man Duk. I feel Rei and Kang-to would be explosive together. They are both badass, in someways feel betrayed by their mother country and from that are driven to side with the "enemy" (so far that is), and they are/will be on the opposite sides of the issue. I need them to be have a Spy vs. Spy dynamic with a bit of love/attraction thrown in the mix. As much as I like Man Duk I don't really feel the chemistry between her and Kang-to. I mean I enjoy their scenes together. Love the cat-mouse chase they have going on. But I feel no romance between them. She hates him. Finding out he is the owner of the knife doesn't magically erase/dismiss all the awful things he's done or her reasons for hating him. Also dramas have been there done that too many times with the whole I-found-my-true-love-when-I-was-five-fate-worked-its-mojo-in-seperating-us-now-and-now-it-does-it-again-to-bring-us-togetehr *le sigh* also tired of two brothers or best friends always being in love with the same girl. 

I love this drama. It reminds me of a much superior City Hunter or Capital Scandal. Each actor/character is jus so mesmerizing on screen. Every character and almost every moment is so important to the overall arc of the story. You can tell the writers really take care to look at the small as well as the big picture. The cinematography is gorgeous. I love the way they film the action scenes and major props to the costume and set designers for the clothes and vibrant colors.

Joo Won is doing a fabulous job playing Kang-to. He makes me both love and loath the character in a matter of seconds. I think it will break his heart when he finds out about his brother. That has been one of his biggest motives in doing what he does only to find out it has all been a lie, just pretend. That the hyung he looks up to and wants to  save is lie their father in that he puts the movement above everything else. I am curious as to how that transforms his character.

Of the two kick ass females, I am in love with Rei. Soo much badassness in those scenes we got. We also learn something of her values and code of basic human conduct in the situation involving the waiter. I cannot wait for the show to divel into her backstory and show us why like Kang-to she is against her mother country and is loyal to Japan and calls the creepy ahjussi (he was waaay too handsy) father. 

I am in the minority here (I think an island actually) but I am more interested in Rei and Kang-to than Kang-to/Man Duk. I feel Rei and Kang-to would be explosive together. They are both badass, in someways feel betrayed by their mother country and from that are driven to side with the "enemy" (so far that is), and they are/will be on the opposite sides of the issue. I need them to be have a Spy vs. Spy dynamic with a bit of love/attraction thrown in the mix. As much as I like Man Duk I don't really feel the chemistry between her and Kang-to. I mean I enjoy their scenes together. Love the cat-mouse chase they have going on. But I feel no romance between them. She hates him. Finding out he is the owner of the knife doesn't magically erase/dismiss all the awful things he's done or her reasons for hating him. Also dramas have been there done that too many times with the whole I-found-my-true-love-when-I-was-five-fate-worked-its-mojo-in-seperating-us-now-and-now-it-does-it-again-to-bring-us-togetehr *le sigh* also tired of two brothers or best friends always being in love with the same girl. 

Guest Starlitelet

ok, so i've compiled a list of young actors who could've played lee kangto.

lee seungi
kim soohyun
kim bum
ji chang wook
lee minho
joo won

all leading man material.

lee seungi, for some reason, even with his baby face can pull off the cynical act convincingly. seung gi as kangto would've been believable enough.

kim soohyun, though i see him as a nice guy mostly, can pull of intensity too. and i kind of love his acting.

kim bum, okay, the dude is the most shouty of this bunch, but we know it's in his range to be moody, so i think he would've worked the role well.

ji chang wook, he's warrior baek dong soo to me, so he could've carried a role like this. he's a little shouty when he wants to be but lots of potential.

lee minho, sigh, i kind of wish i was blind so i could pretend he is just THAT good. like a commenter said about his performance in city hunter, he was supposed to BE a cool vigilante, fighting for justice in a corrupt world, but instead, he was just a pretty boy in a vigilante costume. he is NOT an action star/super hero. i wish he was. he is not.

joo won... is lee kangto. ha. joo won is not shouty. i've seen shouty. what he's done so far is what i think lee kangto would do in his desperation to find gaksital and please the order he works for.

i've only seen joo won in and out of ojakgyo brothers, but with gaksital, i am officially a fan. he's doing awesome. can't wait for wednesday! the show's been on my mind, obviously, since i'm here with hypotheticals. haha.

'till wednesday. ~

Guest flipz

Just decided watching this today, to see what the fuss is about. And 4 hours later, I got through all of it thats been aired. I can't wait to see the relationship of Rye and Kang-to. We all know it's not going to work, but she's a pretty intriguing character. Oh man, how did I get stuck watching multiple shows. Guess I gotta add an hour to watch this before/after Ghost. heh

Even though there's the same jizz to their childhood, their recent encounter as adults is definitely different

Archived