[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

Guest Starlitelet

Just decided watching this today, to see what the fuss is about. And 4 hours later, I got through all of it thats been aired. I can't wait to see the relationship of Rye and Kang-to. We all know it's not going to work, but she's a pretty intriguing character. Oh man, how did I get stuck watching multiple shows. Guess I gotta add an hour to watch this before/after Ghost. heh

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alysanne

@Starlitelet:  I first saw Joo Won on Baker King as well.  I didn't get to watch OB, though.  He's also the reason why I started watching 1 Night 2 Days Season 2, though now, Tae-woong and Tae-hyun keep me watching that show as well. :D  I remember most people were so shocked by Joo Won's portrayal of Kang-to after seeing him on 1N2D being so adorkable.  The reverse happened to me, in that I was shocked to see him being so adorkable in 1N2D after being such an angsty pain-in-the-backside on Baker King.  I swear, seeing two different Joo Wons every week can really mess with your brain.  LOL

He does make a good action star.  (I haven't seen his cop movie with Tae-woong yet, though.)  He's athletic, and seems willing to get in there and do all those action scenes.  I haven't noticed many stunt stand-ins for him yet, if at all.

His overall look is also a very good fit for the character compared to the other names that have been tossed around in the Bridal Mask discussions.  There's just something about him that fits the period (except maybe for the hair, but I can forgive that) and the personality so well.

After re-watching the episodes, I've changed my mind about him being too shouty.  I get it now, I think his character really is just...well, angry.  LOL  And it works considering his past and what he has to go through now.  I think this is really how his character was conceptualized by both the writer and the PD.  Can't wait to see how he'll handle the romantic scenes.

And yes, Jin Se Yun! I agree, her beauty is very natural. I haven't seen her performance before, but I like her here. :)

Guest Starlitelet

@alysanne:  Is 1 Night 2 Days good? I never heard of it O.o.
Yeah, it does seem like Joo Won does most of the stunts so far for Bridal Mask. To be honest, I'm not too great at differentiating a stunt stand-in and the actual actor anyway ^^;. The only time I know that it's the actual actor in action is if I see their face... as obvious as that sounds - haha.
I agree with your take on Joo Won. 
It's quite funny that you mentioned re-watching the episodes because I have done so myself (at least with the 1st episode). I remember I had a weird experience with the first episode, but now that I have watched it over again, I take back my words. I enjoyed it a lot more because I know the basic backgrounds of the characters now. Before, I just didn't care for any of the old folks. Now it's a lot more interesting since I'm more invested. However, I still thought all the flying martial arts were rather cheesy. It seems like they have toned it down now. Like there's less emphasis on the bridal mask himself. I prefer when they do the slow motion captures emphasizing other people surrounding the fight as well. It's just weird to focus on Bridal Mask and his slick moves, while other corrupted citizens reacting like meme cartoon characters - haha.
By the way, don't worry about feeling crazy seeing 2-face Joo Won - haha! That just means he's a really great actor. I'm looking forward to his future projects even though this one isn't done yet.

Guest alysanne

@starlitelet: 1 Night 2 Days is a long-running variety show.  Season 1 was on for 5 years.  Season 2 just started this year with 4 new cast members, including Joo Won.  He is adorkable on the show.  In the last episode, he ran to another cast member and asked him to kill a bug in his room. LOL. The show is hilarious.  I watch it when I want to take a break from dramas, both on TV and in real life. ;)  Here's the link to download English hard-subbed episodes if you want to check them out; here's a link to the Season 2 premiere recap on Dramabeans, if you want to know what the show is like. :)

I can't wait to see the relationship of Rye and Kang-to. We all know it's not going to work, but she's a pretty intriguing character

My exact thoughts. I know these two won't workout but just seeing her character and from their brief passing know her character/their relationship (whatever relationship they end up having) has me very intrigued. 
@ marie6 7(thank you fir the name correction) and starlitelet for me when you take away the bridal mask aspect and the setting, Man Duk and Kang-to relationship is really not that different from many that I have already seen in kdramas. Yes none torture each other (I can only think of one other drama I have seen this in) but plenty do the from hate/deep dislike/annoyance to love storyline. I must admit that I rarely ship the main couple in dramas (i.e, I desperately wanted Lee Byung Hun to fall for Kim So Yeon in IRIS instead of the main couple of he and Kim Tae Hee) and have a huge tendency to fall for second lead characters and their lives. I am 99.3% sure they are the end game, but relationships like theirs never really grab me but the rest of you enjoy. 

I'm very much interested in Kang To and Rie's potential relationship as well. I've seen so many korean dramas about 'first loves' that I'm quite tired to watch anymore of it actually. I'm hoping this drama will be presented differently.Then again, somehow I'm not invested in the romance aspect of this drama but rather the bromance part of it all. That's where I'm more emotionally attached. 
Hoping this drama will continue to do well. And seeing Joo Won every week (whether it's here or on 1n2d)...seriously, it's a bonus. Winter doesn't seem so cold anymore in aussie land =)

I've just got this crazy idea that the Gaksital in episode 5 preview could be Shunji. He would have a reason to go to the police station and save Mok Dan, too, plus we have already seen his fighting skills while practising with Kang To. There was the scene where he was looking at the traditional korean mask and that raised my suspicion and then the absolutely shocked expression of Kang To as Gaksital revealead his face, however, it could be a total miss. I just wanted to share this idea.

I've just got this crazy idea that the Gaksital in episode 5 preview could be Shunji. He would have a reason to go to the police station and save Mok Dan, too, plus we have already seen his fighting skills while practising with Kang To. There was the scene where he was looking at the traditional korean mask and that raised my suspicion and then the absolutely shocked expression of Kang To as Gaksital revealead his face, however, it could be a total miss. I just wanted to share this idea.

Wow! I think you are absolutely right! I think thats why Kangto was also shocked when he revealed Gaksital. He would never say it in such a tone to his brother, but to Shunji, yes.

I cant wait for wednesday...

The Shunji theory has logic to it, however, it could be totally wrong. I remember seeing in one of the previews a scene where Shunji and Gaksital are crossing their swords in a room that looked similar to the police station. I guess we have to wait 2 days and see
:)

is there anyone else that thinks Rie's body guard is KINDA sexy, not in a handsome way, but like in a cool way? in the scenes when Kenji picked on Rie, I kept hoping he'd pull some martial arts moves on Kenji lol. anyway, i think mok dan is pretty in a kim-so-eun way. natural and innocent, i guess. her acting is  not the best but she tries and doesnt go over the top just to look cute.ep 5's bridal mask is probably shunji, because isnt it too early for kang to to take on his brother's role?also, joo won is a PERFECT fit for the role kang to because his eyes are intense and he has a baby face and he has good chemistry with mok dan AND he can act without worrying about his appearance, which i find a lot of k actors don't do in dramas.P.S. this show is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good <3

Guest Lily_Rose

Anyone  has found out the ending of the manhwa?

I know the story is dark but a lady can always hope. I hope for an hea.

Guest flipz

This story runs really deep. At first glance, the typical good guy vs bad guy story could be used in application to Japanese vs. Korean. But it is not that way at all. There is no black and white, good and evil, but just differences in perspective. Just because Lt. Konno is Chief of the Japanese Police Department doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Just because you think what you are doing is good, does it mean you are right?

This black and white, good vs evil mentality has been molded into Kang-to's persona. It's interesting to see the knife as the symbol that will shed this cold character with a warped perception of justice into the man he used to be. Metaphorically speaking, this knife that was a gift to the woman he loves can also easily stab him in the heart(I guess this could also happen literally). I probably don't expect Mok Dan to be warming up to him for quite awhile.

I never read the comic, but apparently Shinju is supposed to become the antagonist opposite Gakistal. I'm very interested in his transformation as well if this is indeed true. His motive is probably very well that his relationship with Dan Mok is doomed from the start and jealously will flip his switch. I wonder if he's going to fight for sheer fact of the one-sided love or will he become part of his father's corrupt organization.

To be honest, I don't care much for Dan Mok at this stage of the drama. She's just a helpless romantic who has been leashed to a knife for 13 years. Although she can fight, she's basically that damsel in distress waiting for her knight to magically pop out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure I'll open up to like her when she finds out who the knife guy really is. Then I can see more confusion, anger, angst, and character development from her.

And omg I can't wait for the Rei/Kang-to relationship to develop. Her character is so compelling and just sheer awesome. She's bad*** and the man he loves is the same man that will eventually become Gakistal, the one man she wants to kill. It's like a ticking time bomb on a roller coaster. Will she be like Kang-to and transform because of love or stay loyal to her "father"? In the episode 5 preview, she says his name twice and asks if it was destiny. Love at first sight was that super slow-mo scene on episode 4. She seems like the type of woman that gets what she wants. Is it wrong if I ask her to manipulate Kang-to to at least trust her or maybe even like her a bit? I want more jealousy and conflict!

2 more days. Gosh, it's killing me and I only started this show yesterday. I'm hooked.

marie67 haha same here lol...except have something else occupying  my weekends...had it worse before lol, at some point i was watching 3 dramas each day, thought my head was gonna explode..plus the homework, know how that feels..on the bright side the summer break is almost here :D B-)

Guest flipz

I don't think Mok Dan is a hopeless romantic who has been leashed to a knife for 13 years. IMO, the fact that she's still holding onto the knife so dearly is symbolic. In a sense, the knife constantly reminds her that the world still consists of good people despite the catastrophes lashed upon her. I don't see it as some childish/wistful romance. The knife is the thing that keeps her going because the person who gave it to her came to her during the time of desperation. Little Kang To was able to give her hope that there is a chance to survive in this cruel world. Remember when little Mok Dan pleaded Kang To's father to allow her mother and herself to travel with them? If I'm not mistaken, it was Kang To that asked his father to allow them to. I have short term memory, so correct me if I'm wrong ^^;. Henceforth, Mok Dan believes that if she hangs onto the knife (like a good luck charm), then she will finally be able to meet the great guy who once gave her hope in times of despair. I don't see the knife as something that regresses her character into a damsel in distress, but rather makes into a fighter that she is today. Besides, she was kidnapped because she was there at the wrong time for the most part - haha.

Archived