Director Park Chan-Wook 박찬욱 [“Decision to Leave”]

Helena

July 18, 2013
Park Chan Wook Directs Lee Jung Hyun and Jin Goo in “V” Music Video
crystalcove soompi.com
Lee-Jung-Hyun-mv-still-1.jpg

It was recently reported that world-renowned film director Park Chan Wook (“Old Boy“) will be directing Lee Jung Hyun‘s new music video for her upcoming single, “V,” and now new stills, as well as a making video, have been released. 
Park Chan Wook, along with his brother Park Chan Kyung directs this music video, which stars Jin Goo. Jin Goo and Lee Jung Hyun will star together in an upcoming film, “Battlefield – Whirlwind Sea.” Park Chan Wook and Lee Jung Hyun became connected through the 2011 film, “Night Fishing” and grew close ever since.
Lee Jung Hyun’s “V” is a house dance track that is reportedly just right for summer. The still cuts show Lee Jung Hyun as a zombie bride. She wears a short, white wedding dress as she dramatically dances among other female zombies. 
The making video includes interviews from Lee Jung Hyun and Park Chan Wook, as well as scenes of Jin Goo and Lee Jung Hyun filming. Lee Jung Hyun expresses her surprise that Park Chan Wook said yes to her request for him to direct the film without any hestiation. Also, she compliments Jin Goo’s looks as she and the actor monitor their performance. 

July 23, 2013
Director Park Chan Wook talks about SHINee STARN News
Director Park Chan Wook told that his daughter is a fan of SHINee.
On July 22nd, Media Day event for movie 'Snowpiercer' was held at a restaurant located in Apgujeong-dong, Seoul, and director Park Chan Wook talked about how he got to direct the music video of Lee Jung Hyun's 'V'.
Director Park said, "Lee Jung Hyun showed impressive jobs in one of my movies in the past even though her physical condition was not well back then. I happily accepted her request."
He went on, "I realized why people keep listening to idol group songs. I found myself getting hooked by them."
He also said, "I don't have any favorite idol group in particular, but I know well about SHINee because my daughter is a huge fan of them. If I get to bring one of them into my films, I would bring Key, who is my daughter's most favorite SHINee member. I think he's got a character."
On the other hand, movie 'Snowpiercer' will be released on August 1st.
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

July 27, 2013
Koreans in Hollywood
Editorial Writer Chung Sung-hee The Dong-A Ilbo
  Hollywood blockbuster “Red: The Legend” is a movie about retired intelligence agents. Korean actor Lee Byung-hun is another fun in the movie. Playing a Korean intelligence agent-turned-killer at the movie, Lee said he made his body eating 15 fish a day to show his naked body in the beginning of the movie. “Which part do you want to be torn apart?” The Korean line appearing in two scenes makes us proud, rather than sounding cruel. Korean singer Rain and actress Bae Du-na also enhanced Korean actors’ reputation. It is a giant leap forward from the past when a Hollywood star with a hint of Korean blood was center of the public attention.
The cream of the crop in Hollywood is movie directors rather than actors. The year of 2013 will be remembered as a meaningful year thanks to a series of releases -- Kim Ji-woon’s “The Last Stand,” Park Chan-wook’s “Stalker,” and Bong Jun-ho’s “Snowpiercer,” which is inviting expectations amid heavy applause of the foreign media and critiques.
Ang Lee from China has successfully gained a foothold in Hollywood. His signature films such as “The Life of Pie” and “Brokeback Mountain” have an oriental touch. Russian director Timur Bekmambetov’s movies including “Wanted” and “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” have a wit that breaks stereotypes. It makes me curious what the world will find in Korean directors’ films. Hopefully, Korea could produce more actors and directors who are "global" beyond “exotic.”
Korean actors and directors’ success in Hollywood has been made possible because Korea’s strong film-making capacity and Korean actors’ quality have satisfied the needs of Hollywood, which longs for cultural diversity and new people. Koreans’ winning grand prizes in major international film festivals would have helped it as well. Hollywood must have thought the unique and sensitive nature of Korean films and production ability would work on the global stage. It has to be remembered that Korean audiences have continued to choose Korean movies amid many Hollywood films behind the scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

August 20, 2013
Park Chan-wook's new movie project to focus on Seoul
YonhapNews
SEOUL, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's acclaimed director Park Chan-wook and his younger brother, media artist Park Chan-kyong, said Tuesday they will team up with Seoul citizens to make a film about the capital city.
Under their joint co-directing brand name of "PARKing CHANce," the brothers said they launched a new filmmaking project called "Seoul/Our Movie" in which they will weave together a film themed on Seoul with selected videos from citizens.
Any locals and foreigners who are interested in Seoul can participate in the project by uploading their own videos on the project's official YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/seoulourmovie by Nov. 9, the directors said during a news conference here.
Applicants can send videos of all genres, including documentary and fiction, in one of the three categories -- "Working in Seoul," about what someone does to earn a living in Seoul; "Made in Seoul," about visible or invisible things made in Seoul; and "Seoul," about the city's past. Slide shows of pictures and videos taken with smart devices can also be used, according to the directors.
Based on selected videos, the directors said they will create a story, do comprehensive post-production work and complete a film before a preview event scheduled for January.
"I'm curious what a movie made with videos from amateur filmmakers and post-production work by experts would be like," Park Chan-wook, the Cannes Grand Prix winner of "Old Boy" (2004), told reporters.
Park is also known for his 2002 film "Joint Security Area" and the two other films in his vengeance trilogy besides "Old Boy" -- "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" -- as well as his Hollywood debut film "Stoker."
   The brothers have produced several short films, including "Night Fishing" (2010) and "Day Trip" (2012) under the brand name PARKing CHANce. "Night Fishing," a fantasy-horror film shot entirely on the Apple iPhone 4, won the Golden Bear for Best Short Film at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival.
sshim@yna.co.kr

August 20, 2013
'I had to trade away creative freedoms'Director of 'Old Boy' confesses on burdens for commercial success By Park Si-soo The Korea Times
130820_p01_ihad.jpg Director Park Chan-wook, right, and his younger brother, Chan-kyong, a media artist, talk during an interview with The Korea Times about “Seoul, Our Movie,” a promotional film for the capital, Tuesday./ Korea Times photo by Shim Hyun-chul
Director Park Chan-wook is one of a few among those in his profession who are both critically acclaimed and commercially bankable.
Despite his success in the Cannes Film Festival and box offices here, Park feels that his creative desire is boxed in by other new obligations to the point that he has to rely on distractions.
“I feel less freedom than before,” Park said in an exclusive interview with The Korea Times in downtown Seoul, Tuesday, reflecting his feeling of pressure as a big-name director. “As the size of the budget for my movies increases, so does the pressure I feel. I should do my best, at least, to prevent investors from losing money. This is business.”
The interview followed a news conference for “Seoul, Our Movie,” a promotional film for Seoul, Park and his younger brother, Chan-kyong, a media artist, will take responsibility for making.
Under the project initiated by the Seoul City government, people around the world are allowed to upload video clips of less-than-five-minutes featuring the capital city on video-sharing site Youtube (www.youtube.com/seoulourmovie) between Aug. 20 and Nov. 9 under three themes — “Working in Seoul,” “Made in Seoul” and “Seoul.” The duo will select the best-made clips and edit them into the form of a promotional movie to be released in January.
Park said he will put his own twist on portraying the city.
“I find myself becoming easily exhausted while making a commercial film,” the 50-year-old said. “Perhaps this is because the project is big and heavy. But it’s not the case with this project. So I will take it as a chance to refresh myself.”
He said that Seoul is a beautiful place to live in, surrounded by mountains and well-preserved forests, adding that he particularly loves to see — not climb — Mt. Inwang that sits behind Cheong Wa Dae. But it doesn’t necessarily mean the upcoming movie will only shed light on the bright side of Seoul.
“The movie won’t only shed light on the positive side of the city,” he noted. “I will produce a balanced view.”
Chan-kyong echoed this view, saying their primary goal in the mission was to show the “true face” of the metropolitan city of 12 million people, not highlighting certain aspects.
“I want to reflect foreigners’ views in the film,” the younger Park said. “Perhaps foreign residents in Seoul have more diverse views about Seoul than locals.”
Park said he has no immediate plans to make a new commercial film; instead he will take the Seoul project as a chance for refreshment to produce a movie with a fresh twist.
“I learned a lot about Korean shamanism from my younger brother,” he said. “This is a very unique subject that I’m now interested in. I currently have no plan for movie making. But possibly, I will make a film about the superstitious belief.”
Park said, if possible, he wants to work with Gene Hackman, 83, the retired American actor who won several prizes.
“He left me a strong impression through Unforgiven,” Park said, referring to the 1992 Hollywood film that portrayed the life of retired Wild West gunslingers. “Well...But who knows. He might come back on stage if I suggest him acting a scenario that meets his taste.”

August 20, 2013
Brothers share passion, talent for Seoul film project
The Korea Times
05-01(34).jpg
Q&A with Park Chan-wook, Park Chan-kyong
Q. In the project, citizens’ videos about every nook and cranny of Seoul will undergo your professional touches. Is there any kind of particular city’s image that you want to show through the project?
A. (Park Chan-wook) If you thought so, you are mistaken. If I intended to portray a certain image of Seoul, I would have made a prior announcement. Though, I wish the videos would be something that shows the city anew and not primarily promotional. Parodies are not welcomed, either. But, except that, every option is open for participants.
Q. (To Chan-wook) Your name reminds us “revenge” or “blood.” But, this time it is not about any of these. What made you take part in this seemingly unfitting project?
A. My films are not all about violence. In fact, I made a number of music videos in the past. Before the shooting, I don’t usually make boundaries in terms of the subject of the movie I am going to film.
Q. Do you two have separate roles in the project?
A. (Chan-kyong) There isn’t a definite line dividing one’s role from others. We rather work in unison.
Q. Don’t you agree that you two have different tastes in movie making? It seems to me the elder Park has stronger taste than younger Park.
A. (Chan-wook) It is mainly because you believe so. Since we grew up together, we share lots of experiences as well as thoughts about life.
Q. If anything, what do you want to say about Seoul through your videos?
A. (Chan-kyong) People know Seoul by its skyscrapers, jammed roads and apartment complexes. But if you wander a little from the city’s center, you will find beautiful landscapes easily. There are beautiful mountains like Mt. Inwang and Dobong in vicinity. That’s what I treasure. There are especially great mountains in northern Seoul.
Q. Do you like climbing the mountains?
A. (Park Chan-kyong) I am the type who appreciates its existence from a distance. I don’t climb myself. (Park Chan-wook) Same here. Climbing is a hard labor for me. Personally I like Inwang mountain, which famous Joseon dynasty artist Jeong-sun painted in his picture.
05-02(31).jpg Director Park Chan-wook
Q. Are you going to focus on the positive side of Seoul only?
A. (Chan-kyong) Definitely not. Like the aged roaming Topgol Park, it could tell the darker side of the city. If anyone films them, I would welcome it.  (Chan-wook) If the image is a bit gloomy but has a good story, we have no reason to reject it. After all, our end-result would be in the hands of participants and the videos they send in.
Q. Do you feel any pressure to show the good sides of Seoul because the film is promotional?
A. (Chan-kyong) I think it’s a matter of perception on promotion. Seoul can be promoted through the film but we will not intentionally make the film in order to promote it. The film will be made for cinematic perfection.
Q. Are you going to reflect the views of foreigners in the film?
A. (Chan-wook) Yes. We hope that many videos reflecting their views will apply for the project. That’s why we put “Made in Seoul” as one of the three themes.
Q. Are you rivals or partners?
A. (Chan-wook) Partners.(Chan-kyong) It has not been long since I started my cinematic career. Before, I worked in art. So there are huge differences (between Chan-wook and me) in cinematic experience.
Q. How does your brother affect your cinematic career?
A. (Chan-kyong) Well, he always helps me. Because of my brother, I’ve learned many things about filmmaking much faster than others. (Chan-wook) I have created many films with negative spirits. But Chan-kyong helps me get out of it.
Q. While working with Chan-kyong, does his feelings and spirit inspire your works?
A. (Chan-wook) I have not made such works yet. But while working with Chan-kyong on Night Fishing, I became interested in Korean shamanism. The subject might be reflected in my future work. But I am not working on anything for now.
Q. Did you encounter any difficulties in working with Chan-wook because he is your older brother? Have you ever dropped your ideas and instead accepted Chan-wook’s when there are conflicts?
A. (Chan-kyong) Our ideas are not the same all the time because the details can be different although we share the same big picture. But we can solve them through conversation. We narrow differences through discussion and accept ideas from other staff.
Q. On a recent visit to Seoul, Matt Damon mentioned you as one of the filmmakers he wants to work with. How do you feel?
A. (Chan-wook) I think it’s a complimentary comment. Someday if there is a script with a proper role for him, it might be possible.
Q. Do you have foreign actors in mind you want to work with?
A. (Chan-wook) Yes. There are many. Gene Hackman is an actor I want to work with. But he has retired. Well, he might come back if he finds an attractive scenario.
Q. Why do you like Gene Hackman?
A. (Chan-wook) Among others, the last film I was fascinated by the most was “Unforgiven” although I like other works starring him. The film was really impressive.
Q. After working overseas, what do you think about the Korea movie-making system? And is there specific direction that Korea movie-making system should take?
A. (Chan-wook) I compared them a lot. At first I was embarrassed because it was too different. I gave it a lot of consideration, and my conclusion is that I can’t say which is better. The Korean movie-making system made Korean movies internationally famous. It’s not because one person was smart or brilliant. The unique Korean system allowed it to happen. So, I can’t say that we should get rid of some parts of the Korean system. A system is an entangled organism. I can’t say for sure that a system will improve if we remove some parts and transplant the American style of filmmaking. I think making movies the Korean way in Korea is desirable, while it’s desirable to make films in America the American way.
Q. Which system is better for you?
A. (Chan-kyong) For me, the Korean system is much more comfortable. The advantage of the American style is longer after-shooting and editing processes. So, the director has much more time to work on editing, putting in sounds or effects. That’s awesome.
Q. Spike Lee has remade a version of “Old Boy” recently. The quote “Don’t remake ours” has been reported by foreign press. What did you mean by this?
A. (Chan-wook) I meant to say to make it his own film.
Q. A film is naturally going to be influenced by the directors. So the feeling is the Seoul movie will not be too bright and sunny.
A. (Chan-wook) It won’t be too dark, but it won’t just be sunny either.
Q. This special project — is it different from making commercial films?
A. (Chan-wook) When I am working on commercial, full-length films, it at times feels stuffy and burdensome. It’s large in scale and heavy. So these projects are a chance for me to relish freedom and to refresh.
Q. Doesn’t fame ensure you more freedom?
A. (Chan-wook) Not necessarily so. Because there is a huge production fee involved, I have to ensure that a film breaks even, or at least prevent investors from losing money. I have to make sure that their investment makes a return, as this is business.

August 21, 2013

‘Seoul, Our movie’ press conference to be held on August 20
BNT News
g5liurka9a0ul2gfphpv82d126v4gydm.jpg

[by Chloe Yun / photo by Jung Young ran] On August 20 there was held a press conference for ‘Seoul, Our movie,’ and two film directors—Park Chan wook and Park Chan Kyung—attended, having an interview with the press. 
‘Seoul, Our Movie,’ sponsored by Seoul City, is a special film-making contest as part of global brand marketing project. Everyone can participate in this contest by submitting their own video related to Seoul. 
Participants are to choose one of the tree topics—‘Working in Seoul,’ ‘Made in Seoul,’ and ‘Seoul’—and make 5-minute-long video. The contest will hold for 12 weeks from August 20 to November 9. 
Meanwhile, film director brothers Park Chan wook and Park Chan kyung will select winning videos and complete the movie ‘Seoul, Our Movie’ by mixing and editing them.  

August 20, 2013
Park brothers enlist public to capture Seoul on film‘Seoul, Our Movie’ to be made from video submissions about the city
By Julie Jackson The Korea Herald
“Joint Security Area” and “Oldboy” director Park Chan-wook is again combining forces with his younger brother Park Chan-kyung, famous for directing art house films, to create the brothers’ latest PARKing CHANce production “Seoul, Our Movie.”
The upcoming documentary film is to be created from video submissions about Seoul from people around the world, non-professionals included. The directors will take these film submissions and edit them to create the video project, making it the first time the brothers will be using amateur footage of people’s experiences in the city to create a full documentary.
20130820000775_0.jpg
Film directors and brothers Park Chan-wook (left) and Park Chan-kyung speak about their new documentary film project “Seoul, Our Movie” at a press conference in Seoul on Tuesday. (Yonhap News)
“Why? Because Seoul is our hometown,” said Chan-wook at a press conference held in a coffee shop in Seoul on Tuesday.
“This is not a promotional video of the city where we are looking to depict the sweet, touristy side of Seoul,” the director went on to explain. “We want to create a project that shows the real story of Seoul, right down to the grit of the working man.” 
The documentary will be split into three distinct sections: “Working in Seoul,” “Made in Seoul” and “Seoul.” The first section is intended to portray people’s experiences working in the city, while “Made in Seoul” encompasses everything from music to artifacts to Seoul-specific activities. The final “Seoul” section will include clips that capture the visual aspects of the city. 
“Obviously, through our film we want to show off the beauty of Seoul, but that is not the core of this project,” said Chan-kyung. “This is about depicting people’s real experiences in the city, which is why we decided to split the film into three specific categories.”
The brothers have set no limits on the content of submissions. Whether it be the city’s landscape, tourist attractions, everyday life or even the not-so-pleasant aspects of the city, the brothers are looking to compile a wide range of perspectives of their hometown. 
“If you want to share a sad story, or a story showing the darker side of the city, it doesn’t matter. We welcome all your different angles,” said Chan-kyung. 
“Video submissions are not just for foreigners living in Seoul or those who are or were here traveling. We also want to encourage Korean citizens to participate in our project,” said Chan-wook.
The directors predict that the film in its entirety will be about an hour long. The brothers asked that submissions be less than five minutes long. However, clips of even just two seconds are more than welcome. The deadline is Nov. 9.
“‘What does it mean to live in Seoul?’ This is the message I hope to portray in our film,” said Chan-wook. 
For more information regarding the “Seoul, Our Movie” project, visit www.youtube.com/seoulourmovie. 

August 22, 2013
Famous film, made by you‘Because they’re amateurs, they have a fresh way of looking at things.’- Park Chan-wook
BY CARLA SUNWOO Korea JoongAng Daily

Brothers Park Chan-wook and Park Chan-kyung, want to use your footage to make “Seoul, Our Movie.” Provided by the organizer
As the glow of “Gangnam Style” fades, the Seoul Metropolitan Government is hoping to borrow the luster of another famous Korean to keep the capital in the global spotlight. 
Internationally acclaimed director Park Chan-wook - best known for controversial and violent films like “Oldboy” and, more recently, the Hollywood film “Stoker” - is teaming up with his younger brother, director and media artist Park Chan-kyung, to make a film about Seoul. 
But it’s not just the two Parks who will contribute to “Seoul, Our Movie” - anyone else can, too. The Parks are inviting anyone to upload short films and other footage of Seoul to their Web site, where they will weave together a movie from other people’s images and ideas.
“Most people in Seoul have either come here to start a new life or to work,” said Park Chan-wook. “But for us, Seoul really is home.” 
And as they prepared to tackle a subject matter dear to their hearts, the brothers met with the press on Tuesday, to explain the project and set some guidelines for those wanting to participate.

The Parks will be looking at submitted footage until Nov. 9. Submissions should be uploaded to the project’s YouTube channel: youtube.com/seoulourmovie.
After that, the brothers will work their magic, editing and putting together an hour-long patchwork film that will encapsulate the heart of the city. 
It’s not the first time the brothers have worked together on an unusual project. In 2011, they collaborated to make a short film, “Night Fishing,” shot entirely on an iPhone. “Night Fishing” even won the Golden Bear award for Best Short Film at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival. Last year, the pair collaborated on a promo for Kolon Sports.
To help them sift through what could be thousands of entries, the Parks will recruit the help of old friends, “leading sound directors and other filmmakers” who they’ve worked with before.
There are three divisions for submissions: “Working in Seoul,” “Made in Seoul” and “Seoul.” 
“Amateurs make some great videos these days,” said Park Chan-wook. “They have the potential to amaze us. And because they’re amateurs, they have a fresh way of looking at things.”
To drive the point home, he said, “technical expertise is not required” and urged hopefuls to send in any random shots they may have filmed on their smartphones. “You know, one day you see a great rainbow after the rain in Seoul, so you recorded it. That’s the kind of stuff we want.” 
The younger Park said he was sure the city would provide endless inspiration.
“I’m constantly finding new areas in the city,” he said, while urging entrants to dig through their old archives because all footage, past, present, “and even interpretation of the future,” can be worked into the film.
And while everyone’s memory or experience in Seoul may be different, the directors said they wanted to combine everyone’s experiences into a heartfelt film. “A lot of tourism movies have this generic formula,” said Park Chang-kyung, adding that landmarks and postcard scenery just scratches the surface. 
Although there was no “right or wrong” on tackling the project, they said they wanted to get the essence of those “who live here and who have travelled here.” 
“A lot of Hollywood actors think of Seoul as a sci-fi looking, futuristic city,” said Park Chan-wook, who said some dark elements of the city would be highly encouraged. “We aren’t after just the pretty, happy, soft, hopeful .?.?. but a film where you can smell the sweat.” 
Drawing on the crowd-sourced movie/documentary “Life in a Day” for inspiration, Park Chan-wook said he was excited to present the works of others. “Until now, I’ve just presented my stuff, but this time it’ll be fun to work on an reciprocal project.” 
The finished film should be available online in January.

August 27, 2013
Korean Films Set New Box-Office Record
The Chosun Ilbo
Korean films attracted a record 20 million moviegoers in August. According to the Korean Film Council, 24.36 million people watched Korean films between Aug. 1 and 25.
The figure easily beats the previous monthly record of 18.09 million in February, when "Miracle in Cell No. 7" and "The Berlin File" made a splash at the box office simultaneously. 
This month, four Korean films are contributing to the success -- "Snowpiercer" with 8.8 million, "The Terror Live" with 5.4 million, "Hide and Seek" with 4.07 million, and "The Flu" with 2.7 million. 
Korean movies also posted record sales of W145.6 billion (US$1=W1,113), but their combined share of total sales stood at 78.9 percent, less than the 85.3 percent in October 2006.
Over the whole year, Korean films exceeded the 100 million-viewer mark for the first time in 2012. With a total of 80 million moviegoers so far this year, they are likely to beat that record equally comfortably and could even reach the 200-million mark.
The sweeping popularity of Korean movies in recent years is attributed to their appeal to a wider spectrum of viewers. "Secretly Greatly" attracted teenagers who usually prefer TV or online games, while "Miracle in Cell No. 7" appealed to the middle-aged. 
Another factor is that a wave of films by famous directors hit the theaters -- "Stoker" by Park Chan-wook, "Snowpiercer" by Bong Joon-ho, "The Last Stand" by Kim Ji-woon, and "The Berlin File" by Ryoo Seung-wan. But there have also been unexpected hits by rookie directors such as Kim Byung-woo's "The Terror Live" and Huh Jung's "Hide and Seek."
Kim Ki-duk's "Moebius," which has been invited to the Venice International Film Festival from Aug. 28 to Sept. 7, will hit cinemas here next month after a re-edit to appease local censors. "Our Sunhi" by Hong Sang-soo picked up the Leopard for best director at the Locarno International Film Festival early this month and is due out in early September.
Korean films will likely continue to dominate the market in the second half of this year as "The Face Reader" and "The Spy," both with a star-studded cast, are released and the Busan International Film Festival takes place in early October.

August 27, 2013
PARKing CHANce Seek Help on New Film About SeoulBrothers PARK Chan-wook and PARK Chan-kyong Begin SEOUL, OUR MOVIE by Pierce Conran KOFIC

PibYYaBFYMrMqDrqLoNH.jpg
In between his gothic opuses Thirst (2009) and Stoker, acclaimed director PARK Chan-wook made a more intimate short film with his brother, visual artist PARK Chan-kyong, called Night Fishing. Shot on an iPhone, the film was released to great acclaim, earning the Golden Bear for shorts at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2010. Following last December’s Day Trip (starring SONG Kang-ho), a project commissioned by the outdoor clothing brand Kolon Sport, and a music video for K-pop singer and actress LEE Jung-hyun last month (who also starred in Night Fishing), the siblings have embarked on their latest collaboration, entitled Seoul, Our Movie. Unlike their previous works, the brothers, who direct together under the moniker PARKing CHANce, will not shoot any of the film’s footage. Instead, they are inviting people to send them videos about Seoul (up to five minutes in length) focusing on three categories: ‘Working in Seoul’, ‘Made in Seoul’ and ‘Seoul’, which will cover anything not featured in the first two. The project was initiated by the Seoul Metropolitan Government and according to PARK Chan-wook, is not intended as a promotional work. PARKing CHANce will select and edit the videos, which can be submitted on Youtube (www.youtube.com/seoulourmovie) until November 9th.

August 29, 2013
Korean films rocket toward record box office numbersDomestic movies expected to hit 100 million-viewer mark next month
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Domestic films are set to break the 100-million mark in attendance since January this year by next month, according to the state-run Korean Film Council. 
Local films exceeded the 100 million-viewer mark for the first time in November 2012. The milestone meant Koreans saw at least two local films on average last year. 
A new box office record is about to be set, beating last year’s performance by almost three months.
20130829001296_0.jpg

In the month of August alone ― from Aug. 1 to 25 ― Korean films drew 24.36 million viewers to local theaters. 
A number of hit films contributed to this month’s box office success, including Bong Joon-ho’s blockbuster “Snowpiercer.” The dystopian sci-fi flick, starring Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris, has drawn 8.8 million viewers since its release on Aug. 1.
Emerging director Kim Byung-woo’s disaster thriller “The Terror Live,” starring Ha Jung-woo, has drawn 5.4 million viewers. Meanwhile, “Hide and Seek,” another thriller also directed by rookie filmmaker Huh Jung, has attracted 4.07 million. “The Flu,” a pandemic thriller by Kim Seong-soo, was seen by 2.7 million. The market share of locally produced films this month reached 78.4 percent.
The 24.36 million-viewer record beats the one set in February, which stood at 18.09 million viewers with the popularity of Ryu Seung-wan’s star-studded North Korean spy flick “The Berlin File” and tearjerker drama “Miracle in Cell No. 7.”
The number of domestic film releases has been increasing as well in the past four years. In 2009, a total of 118 Korean films were released, 140 in 2010, 150 in 2011 and 175 in 2012. As of August, a total of 98 local movies have hit theaters so far this year. 
The Korean movie industry also enjoyed significant success away from the box office last year. Director Kim Ki-duk won the Golden Lion Award for his bleak morality tale “Pieta” at the Venice Film Festival, becoming the first Korean filmmaker to win the honor. Domestic films’ market share hit 59 percent as well, up 7 percentage points from the previous year. 
This year’s local movie lineup included movies by the country’s most prominent directors, including Park Chan-wook, Kim Jee-woon and Bong Joon-ho. 
Park and Kim made their Hollywood debuts this year, Park with the psychological thriller “Stoker” and Kim with the action flick “The Last Stand.” Bong’s “Snowpiercer,” co-produced by Korea’s CJ Entertainment and Park Chan-wook among others, is the most expensive film in Korean movie history.
Korean films, both commercial and independent, were also diverse in genres and style, appealing to a wide spectrum of viewers. Jang Cheol-soo’s hit film “Secretly Greatly,” for one, was based on the popular 2010 webtoon series “Convertness” by artist HUN. 
The film, starring national heartthrob Kim Soo-hyun as an attractive North Korean spy disguised as an intellectually disabled person in South Korea, was especially popular among the young viewers. Another hit film “Cold Eyes” was about a group of detectives specializing in surveillance of high profile criminals. Independent movie “Pluto,” which critically deals with Korea’s competition-oriented education system, also received positive reviews from the audience and the press. 
Rookie directors Huh Jung and Kim Byung-woo also produced unexpected hits with their highly successful thrillers “Hide and Seek” and “The Terror Live.”
“The number of movie theaters did not increase much compared to the year before, so it’s not the venues,” said Kim Young-gi from the Korean Film Council. “So I’d have to say the box office success of domestic movies really has to do with their substance and quality. I think a lot of great, quality movies came out this year and the audience took notice of them.”
The local press and industry insiders predict that the films could even reach the 200 million mark by the end of this year, as a number of highly anticipated films are still to be released, including “The Spy” which co-stars Sol Kyung-gu, Moon So-ri and Daniel Henney, and “The Face Reader” which stars some of the country’s biggest stars including Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jung-jae and Song Kang-ho. 
Hong Sang-soo’s latest work “Our Sunhi” and Kim Ki-duk’s controversial drama “Moebius” are set to be released in September as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

October 15, 2013
Daily UNN Survey: Most Admired Individuals in Various Field
Source: Daily UNN, thanks to mistymorning at LBH soompi for the wonderful gist
A survey was recently done by the Daily UNN on 2266 university students related to the most admired person in each field including statesmen, respected figures (domestic, international), politicians, businessmen, athletes, journalists, artists, entertainers, actors, film-makers as well as news and urgent issues (which is the gap between the poor and rich) in the current society.
In the Korean talent (acting) category, the students have chosen the most admired actors as 
1. Ha Jung Woo 19.3%
2. Song Kang Ho 8.7%
3. Won Bin 5.7%
4. Lee Byung Hun 4.0%
5. Kang Dong Won 3.6%
128453_19007_1319.png

While in the film-maker category, Director Bong Joon Ho, whom not surprisingly led the votes with a whooping wide margin of 60.3% followed by Director Park Chan Wook in second place with 8.5%.

• 2 weeks later...

October 31, 2013
Park Chan-wook in Sao Paulo
PYH2013103106540031500_P2.jpg

South Korean director Park Chan-wook attends an information session at a university in Sao Paulo on Oct. 30, 2013, introducing his films, such as "Joint Security Area," "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance." (Yonhap) (END)

November 7, 2013
KOLON Sports’ Short Films to Participate in London Korean Film Festival
BNTNews
pu915uc8pb5vpq56kc163v7jk2g68f1n.jpg
[by Cho Suyoun] Two short Korean films ‘Day Trip’ and ‘One Perfect Day’ made by KOLON Sports will be played at London Korean Film Festival. From November 7 to 22, London Korean Film Festival is going to be held in London, U.K. This festival has begun since 2006 and it greets 8th anniversary this year. As the film festival introduces Korea’s latest and classic films to Europeans, it has become one of the leading K-wave cultural events in U.K.
In this year, two short films ‘Day Trip’ and ‘One Perfect Day’ have been invited as special movies to be played in the short film section. These two movies were made by KOLON Sports in early this year as the brand celebrated its 40th anniversary and wished to commemorate by creating special projects. To talk about the film, the first one ‘Day Trip’ was directed by Park Chan Wook, Chan Kyung brothers and starred actor Song Kang Ho. The 19-minute film was about a special day that a girl and her mentor spent to practice realization of sound at a mountain.
On the other hand , the second film ‘One Perfect Day’ was directed by Kim Ji Woon and it was his first romantic comedy movie, starring Yoon Kye Sang and Park Shin Hye. Regarding this short film, director Kim previously told that this 35-minute movie is about how to reach love, people and nature.  The two films are currently available on the official webpage of KOLON Sports and they will be aired at London Korean Film Festival from November 7 to 22. (photo by KOLON Sports)

• 2 weeks later...

November 15, 2013
'Oldboy' returns after 10 years
PYH2013111504620031500_P2.jpg
Film director Park Chan-wook poses for photos in Seoul on Nov. 15, 2013 after becoming news again for his movie "Oldboy," which is returning to the big screen after 10 years, this time digitally remastered. Park won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival for the movie, the first Korean to win the award. The film has been remade in Hollywood and will open in U.S. theaters on Nov. 27. (Yonhap) (END

November 19, 2013
Park Chan-wook’s OLD BOY returns to theaters in 10 yearsOn Theatrical Release in November 21st
by Song Soon-jin KOBIZ

20131118_1384732106_50206900_1.jpg
PARK Chan-wook’s most noted film, Old Boy returns to theaters in 10 years. The release date of this digital re-mastered version is scheduled for November 21st, the same day as a decade ago. A new poster inspired by the notorious hammer scene has been created while a ‘Movie Collage Live Talk’ between the filmmaker and film critic LEE Dong-jin will be offered to the public. 
  Old Boy which deals with the story of OH Dae-soo(played by CHOI Min-shik) and LEE Woo-jin(played by YOO Ji-tae who imprisoned Dae-soo for 15 years, and Mi-do(played by GANG Hye-jung) who gets caught in the middle of the two men’s deadly struggle won the Jury Grand Prize at the 57th Cannes Film Festival. The Hollywood remake version of the film has completed production and is awaiting a November theatrical release. The remake version of Old Boy is directed by Spike Lee and stars Samuel L. Jackson, Elizabeth Olsen and Josh Brolin.

November 25, 2013
Director of Old Boy Regrets Not Treating Yoo Yeon Seok Better
CJ E&M enewsWorld Grace Danbi Hong

Celebrating ten years since the release of the world renowned film Old Boy, director Park Chan Wook talked about Yoo Yeon Seok, who is currently rising in popularity. 
On November 21, director Park Chan Wook participated in a re-release of Old Boy at the CGV theaters located in Youngdeungpo. 
76577732.jpg

He talked about the overwhelming emotion of watching Old Boy after 10 years and shared his experiences at the Cannes Film Festival with the movie. 
The director also mentioned Yoo Yeon Seok, whose fame is currently rising with tvN’s Reply 1994. Yoo Yeon Seok acted in Old Boy as Yoo Ji Tae’s child actor. 
“These days, I think If I knew he was going to be this successful, I would have been nicer and given him closer shots.”
63374378.jpg

On casting Yoo Yeon Seok, Park Chan Wook said he needed to find an actor who looked like Yoo Ji Tae, but reassured he didn’t just cast him because of his looks. “He’s very good at acting. When we were filming the scene in the chemistry room with Yoon Ji Seo, I was worried that it might be hard for a rookie actor to do, but after he worried a bit, he tried very hard and created that scene.”
He later bought the actors a drink and praised them for their excellent acting.
Meanwhile, the re-release of Old Boy came out on November 21. 
Photo Credit: Egg Film