Director Park Chan-Wook 박찬욱 [“Decision to Leave”]

Helena

April 11, 2013
Growing Korean film industry flexes international muscle
Hallyu stars on demand in Hollywood 
By Chung Ah-young The Korea Times
Just a few years ago Korea was not an attractive destination for Hollywood stars to promote their films ― they either went to Japan or China or Hong Kong, often skipping Korea. 
But now the nation is becoming a must-stop location for movie stars. In recent months, high-profile Hollywood mega stars such as Hugh Jackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Downey Jr., Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tom Cruise have rushed to Korea because the domestic film market is growing dramatically. Rising marketing point
04-12-05-01.jpg
Actress Bae Doo-na
04-12-05-02.jpg
Actor Lee Byung-hun
04-12-05-03.jpg
Director Kim Jee-woon
The Korean cinematic market size was valued at over 1.4 trillion won in 2012, an increase of 21 percent last year from 1.2 trillion won in 2011, rising to number seven in world rankings ― on par with that of Germany’s.
Last year, the number of moviegoers surpassed 194.89 million, up 22 percent from 159.72 million the previous year. The buying power of Korean moviegoers is strong enough to make foreign distributors concerned about their share in the market.
Among some foreign blockbusters that found success here last year was “Les Miserables,” a musical starring Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman. 
“As the Korean market rises in the world rankings, Hollywood cineastes keen on pioneering a new market in other regions are showing great interest. As part of this, more Hollywood A-listers are visiting Korea to grab the hearts of the local audience,” said Park Lucia, an official of CJ E&M, a major film distributor.
She said that their interest is shown in various ways such as participating in the production of Korean films or casting Korean actors in their movies.
“Running Man” directed by Cho Dong-oh is the first Korean movie fully funded by a major Hollywood studio, Fox International Productions ― part of 20th Century Fox ― and starring Shin Ha-kyun and Lee Min-ho. The company has so far invested in 50 non-English language films in more than 11 countries. Fox earlier grabbed the opportunity to invest here among other foreign entertainment giants, partially financing in the crime thriller “Hwanghae,” a 2010 mega-hit.
Bae Doo-na starred in the sci-fi film “Cloud Atlas” directed byLana and Andy Wachowski along with Hollywood A-listers Tom Hanks and Halle Berry. Lee Byung-hun appeared in the sci-fi action movie, “G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation.” Lee’s bigger role as Storm Shadow is believed to have boosted sales at the box office, according to the local distributor. Other actors co-starring with Lee came to Korea to promote the film last month.
Also Korean directors are developing their reputations in Hollywood. Park Chan-wook made his Hollywood debut with “Stoker” starring Nicole Kidman and Matthew Goode, which has received rave reviews from critics worldwide. Kim Jee-woon made his first attempt at Hollywood with “Last Stand,” starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Forest Whitaker. 
“Promoting foreign films is difficult unlike local films as Korean actors can frequently show up in public. So the growing role of Korean actors in Hollywood and foreign stars’ visits here can contribute to leaving a strong impression about their films on Korean fans,” Park said.
Korea-friendly marketing
04-12-05-04.jpg
Arnold Schwarzenegger
04-12-05-05.jpg
Robert Downey Jr.
04-12-05-06.jpg
Tom Cruise
At the end of last year, Jackman visited Korea to promote “Les Miserables” and revealed that he is a fan of figure skater Kim Yu-na and expressed his desire to meet her in person. 
This was seen as momentum that drove the popularity of the movie here. He was appointed as a good-will ambassador of Seoul in 2009 and is now a household name in the capital among other Hollywood stars. 
Tom Cruise received an honorary citizenship from Busan, the nation’s largest port city, home to the annual Busan International Film Festival, during his visit to Korea to promote “Jack Reacher” in January. Cruise is known as a Hollywood celebrity who has special attachment to Korea because he has visited here six times. The local distributor said that he chooses Korea as the first destination of Asian tours to promote his films.
“Many Hollywood stars who have visited are deeply impressed by the fervent support of Korean fans. They are fascinated by their hearty reactions. So they repeatedly visit Korea,” she said.
Park also said that they naturally chose more Korea-friendly marketing to woo Korean audiences. “Because of the increasing influence of the Korean audience, they are getting keener on what Korean fans like the most and are interested in,” said Park.
Robert Downey Jr. performed the horse dance to Psy’s“Gangnam Style” during his promotional visit to Seoul for “Iron Man 3” last week. The film will have its global premiere in Seoul on April 25, a week ahead of the U.S. premiere. It is rare for a Hollywood blockbuster to have its premiere in Korea, indicative of the growing status of the Korean movie industry in the world. "I want to thank the brothers and sisters of Korea. Korea has been one of the key markets for Iron Man," Downey said. 
Korean stars who act in Hollywood films are also contributing to the digital forms of advertizing. 
Bae promoted her new film in Korea through a mobile application. She said that the film is “a piece of work that marks a milestone in cinema history” and she was “excited to hear the names of her co-stars.” 
Given that 60 percent or 30 million out of 50 million mobile phone owners use smartphones, the digital gadgets are ideal for conducting effective promotional campaigns. 
Press conferences of promotional events for foreign films are streamed live online. When Jackman and Cameron Mackintosh visited here for “Les Miserables” last year, their fans could watch a real-time international video conference.

• 3 weeks later...

April 30, 2013
Film Audiences Favor Grown-Up Experience
The ChosunIlbo l Nate
2013043000980_0.jpg

Ha Jung-woo and Kim Hye-soo have been voted the most popular actor and actress in Korea in a poll by the Chosun Ilbo and the country's biggest ticketing site Maxmovie. But Hwang Jung-min and Jeon Do-yeon were named as the best actor and actress. 
◆ Mature Actors, Mature Audiences
Remarkably, most of the top 10 most popular actors and actresses are in their 30s to 50s, the only exception being Han Hyo-joo, who is in her 20s. The average age for male and female actors is 42.7 and 34.1. 
Of the actors, only four are in their 30s, including Ha, Kang Dong-won and Won Bin. A large proportion of the entrants on the popularity list starred in hit movies over the past two years, but Won, Kang, Lee Na-young and Kim Tae-hee managed to stay popular by only appearing in commercials.
The average age of best actors is even higher. Except for Ha, all those in the top 10 are in their 40s or over, and the 10 best actresses are on average 41.7 years old. 
Several veteran actors who did not make the most-popular list were instead recognized for their skill, including Yoon Yeo-jeong, Kim Hae-sook, Jang Young-nam and Moon So-ri.
Pundits attribute the preference for middle-aged actors to soaring numbers of moviegoers in the same age group. "The Korean film industry used to focus on viewers in their teens or 20s, but now it tries to accommodate diverse age groups. As more films target the middle-aged, they cast veteran actors in the same age bracket," said film critic Jeon Chan-il. 
A film producer said, "Only five years ago, pretty young actors were almost guaranteed success at the box office, but now viewers don't want to see movies with bad actors any more. Regardless of appearance or age, actors with proven skill are most sought after now."
◆ New Directors
On the other hand, a generational shift seems to be taking place among directors. The people on the 10 best directors list have largely drawn over 10 million viewers in recent years, such as Choi Dong-hoon with "Thieves," Choo Chang-min with "Masquerade," and Lee Hwan-kyung with "Miracle in Cell No. 7."
Most of moviegoers had never heard of the last two before the success of their movies. But some prominent directors who once drew vast audiences did not make the list this time. There were no nods to Yoon Je-kyoon of "Haeundae," Lee Joon-ik of "The King and the Clown," and Kang Je-gyu of "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War."
◆ Movie Theaters Win 
Asked what their favorite way of watching movies is, 87.1 percent of respondents replied the theater, up from 61 percent in 2007. The proportion of those who prefer downloading movies on the Internet dwindled by half from 13.1 percent to 6.4 percent, and of those who favored cable channels by two-thirds from 14.5 percent to 4.8 percent. 
Watching DVDs and videos plummeted from 9.6 percent to 0.7 percent over the same period.
Of the five factors influencing people's choice of films, online reviews from punters came only third. Kim Hyung-ho of Maxmovie explained that factors that are irrelevant to the film can come into play when netizens evaluate them. "Some people rate movies poorly just for fun," he said.
He added people are becoming more aware of how diverse tastes are and no longer consider other Internet users' comments very credible.
Instead, recommendations from friends and family came in second, rising from 10.3 percent to 18.8 percent. 
Thanks to @kdramafanusa at Hwang Jung Min thread for the list in English <3
From source at Chosun.com 

Best Director1. Bong Joon-ho (19.9%)2. Park Chan-wook (19.4%)3. Kang Woo-seok (16.8%)4. Kim Ki-duk (8.8%)5. Im Kwon-taek (7.3%)6. Ryu Seung-hwan (3.5%)7. Choo Chang-min (3.3%)8. Choi Dong-hoon (2.5%)9. Lee hwan-kyung (2.2%)10. Lee Chang-dong (1.9%
Favorite Actor1. Ha Jung-woo (15.2%)2. Hwang Jung-min (11.5%)3. Ahn Sung-ki (6.1%)4. Lee Byung-hun (4.8%)5. Ryu Seung-beom (4.5%)6. Song Kang-ho (4.2%)7. Han Seok-gyu (4.1%)8. Kang Dong-won (3.9%)9. Won Bin (3.8%)10. Shin Ha-kyun (3.2%)
Favorite Actress1. Kim Hye-soo (14.8%)2. Ha Ji-won (10.7%)3. Jeon Ji-hyun (8.9%)4. Son Ye-jin (7.6%)5. Jeon Do-yeon (6.5%)6. Gong Hyo-jin (4.6%)7. Im Soo-jung (3.5%)8. Han Hyo-joo (3.0%)9. Kim Tae-hee (2.3%)10. Lee Na-young (2.1%)
Best Actor1. Hwang Jung-min (16.6%)2. Choi Min-shik (12.0%)3. Ha Jung-woo (9.7%)4. Song Kang-ho (7.9%)5. Ahn Sung-ki (7.5%)6. Ryu Seung-beom (6.1%)7. Lee Byung-hun (5.7%)8. Han Seok-gyu (5.4%)9. Seol Kyung-gu (4.0%)10. Kim Yoon-seok (3.7%)
Best Actress1. Jeon Do-yeon (18.5%)2. Kim Hye-soo (18.2%)3. Ha Ji-won (10.0%)4. Kim Hae-sook (3.8%)5. Moon So-ri (3.5%)6. Yoon Yeo-jung (3.3%)7. Son Ye-jin (3.2%)8. Jang Young-nam (2.4%)9. Gong Hyo-jin (2.3%)10. Jeon Ji-hyun (2.0%)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to mistymorning at LBH-soompi thread for translating this awesome interview <3
Original Korean article-interview posted August 2, 2005 courtesy BluePlanet blog-daum
Monster - The Evil inside human nature
Three directors participated in <3 monsters>, they invoke the evil/monster inside human nature to the world using 3 different styles: 'contradictory humor', 'dreamlike fantasy', and 'cruel reality'. Among 3 different colors in the name of the Horror, Chanwook Park's is 'contradictory humor'.
* Following is a talk between f1: interview, LBH and Park(Chanwook Park).
Park: Hm... the hero in this movie is a movie director, a very successful man. Not just wordly success, but known for good-natured person, in other words, a perfect person. These type of person is rare breed, a successful good man. One day this director was kidnapped. When he awoke, his wife - a pianist - was bound, intruder(Wonhee Lim) said he's going to cut her fingers unless director kills someone. Because the director is a good person, he faces a severe dilemma.
f1: So in the end, what you like to show audience is a conflict of a man who is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.
Park: Yes, a dilemma. That's the life, something like that. (laugh)
f1: What do you think is the attraction of Horror movie genre?
LBH: Before we proceed further, is this your first time interviewing director Park? I don't want you to have prejudice, like you may think director Park has been changed after he was awarded in Cannes. It's not that. I've seen him for a long time, he's not changed at all. He always been looked arrogant. (laugh)
Park: Why, do I still seem like that?
LBH: This is a compliment. Not changing. isn't it?
Park: Human is a changing being.
LBH: To be frank, when I was first contacted for this movie I have to think about it for a while, one of the reason is that while I like watching horror movies, I never dreamed of acting in one. It's the same reason why I haven't been doing historical(costume) movies. Can't sense that intuitive feelings. I felt that the Horror genre is something unfamiliar to me.
f1: But you still choose to do this in the end, and the reason is...?
Park : because it's short? (laugh)
LBH: First, it's really fun to work with director Park. Always looking forward to it. Second is that I had been agonizing over it for several weeks, couldn't give an answer, but around the day before I decided, director Park said something like this. "Hey, in states Quentin Tarantino is closed to many actors so that they act in his movies even if it's small, isn't it a good thing ? "(laugh) Family.... 'oh, so he considered me that way' so I felt happy and grateful. Also he said, right before I was getting into other movie, "I will prime you like doing warm-up, so you can use this energy for the next movie". Well, actual shooting was not something we can just call warming-up. (laugh)
f1: I heard that director Park wants to shoot vampire movies, what attracts you to the Horror genre?
Park: The only horror movie I saw in theatre is "Tale of two sisters". I am a big fan of horror movies, being fan means i enjoy them and enjoying horror movies means that I'm afraid of them. Because I got scared more than other people, I watch all horror movies at home thru DVD. If it's too scary, shut it off , get some breather and watch again. "Tale of two sisters" i watched them in theatre because director Kim (Jeewoon Kim) was worrying a lot that it's not scary so I thought it's not scary, but it was so scary! (laugh). Movies I have mostly done so far are in broader term, thrillers and crime movies, and horror genre has similar aspects with thriller. And it's an alluring concept to make short horror genre movie. To give big impact and end cleanly. Of course it would be fun to make a short romance movie, but because horror genre is about giving shocks, short movie seems to be good match.
f1: I always curious about your inclination, to paraphrase philosopher Russel, you seem to enjoy "meaningful pain". 'Getting inspiration from the rage against the world' seems to be the fitting expression to you too.
Park: Hm... that seems to be fitting.
f1: Not just me, but usual female audiences weren't able to watch "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance", because it's too mercilessly vicious and cruel.
Park: It's would have been okay if you prepared for it somewhat, but in the beginning even though it's revenge film, people didn't know about the level of it so they didn't prepare for it, so some of them even puke in the theater. If you have prepared for it, it'll be fine.
f1: There are many ways how to interpret world to the screen, why do you like shocking methods so much and enjoy movies that makes audience painful?
Park: My slogan is 'Pain for the audience, Joy to the investors' (laugh)
f1: Do you think people are living world too easily?
Park: What I show in people in the movies are those that are in ethical/moral dilemma. By watching such life, I would like to audience think about their life and moral/ethics, and self examine them. To achieve that, a bit of shock is necessary.
f1: what can you tell about character Ji-hoo Ryu in <3 monsters>?
LBH: As director said earlier, he's a perfect person. The best director and a good person. It seems that I am doing the role of perfect person a lot. (laugh)
Park: Begins as a perfect man but pitiful in the end (laugh)
f1: The character's serious and horrible situation gives audience laugh? Is this what you mean by 'contradictory humor', can you give us an example?
LBH: A lot of movies from director Park seeks for that kind of situations and laughing moments. For example, when Soohyuk cried on landmine in the field, audience laughed.(trans. in JSA) The character is in panic, at the brink of life and death and begs for his life, but it is strangely funny in the reality of life. In this movie we'll see much more of such scenes where it wasn't intended at all, but audience will laugh.
Park: I think all comedies are like that. Not just my movie, but director Jeewoon Kim's too, in good comedies characters are very serious and even desperate.
f1: what do you think <3 monsters> will do for Lee Byunhun's acting career. It's not something he has done and very different character.
LBH: Hm...Though any project is a fresh and good experience and gets something different in each case, "3 monsters" for me is not about genre or project but more of pleasure, that I had fun and good experience working with director Park.
f1: The perfect director in the movie is actually reflection of director Park.
Park: The image of perfect man is modeled after me, and the later nasty inner characteristics are modeled after LBH. (laugh)
LBH: It's not because of perfect image that I modeled after director Park. ( laugh). Usually the hero's image or character in the movie takes after director. It's especially true if he wrote the script and directed. The way hero speaks and fundamental characters shows that. Even if director didn't realize, actors read scenario keenly so they picked up those kind of things easily.
f1: Which aspects of 'Jihoo Ryu' are similar to director Park?
LBH: Primarily it's the way he speaks. and how he treats his staff is very similar too. Also even if he's not that wealthy(laugh), out of people working in this field he's very attentive to his family, and capable person outside, in many aspect I thought 'it's right to model the person who wrote this than to find someone elsewhere '. I imagine the during the scripting, director uses his own standard in writing about dilemma and conflict of fictional director, like "If I were him....?".
f1: I heard from other staffs that director Park is a family man.
LBH: His wife and daughter(11 year old) visited the set frequently, and he's with them always in movie festivals and trips. That shows to other people that he's very tender husband and dad.
f1: What's director Park is like on set? (What's he's attraction on set? )
LBH: I discussed a lot with director. He called me "inquisitive style actor" and made interviews like he doesn't like that aspect of me, but actually he likes it.(laugh). What's the best point of him? he's very complaisant. (laugh)
Park: Excellent actors look very serious in expression and eyes when they're saying something. So that makes me gullible. Ah, I'm so easy in that sense.
LBH: He's always open ears. Especially to the actors' opinions. He has his own idea but without revealing them he listens to what actors are saying, so sometimes some scenes that are entirely different from original script can be created on set. And he's very honest. "It's great that you point out things which I failed to notice even though as a director I tried to see from various view points. "
Park: Paul Newman said something like this. (Paraphrasing here because I don't know Paul Newman's direct quote) Sydney Pollack is known as a director who can get much more out of actors, what Paul Newman said about his strength is that even if it's director's idea, but he makes it feel like actor's idea after discussion. Is this what Byung-hun is saying? 
LBH: I was just about to say that. ( laugh)
Park: The reason why staffs like me is simple. Some directors focused too much on important scenes that they tends to miss the mealtime. But I'm not like that. I always put mealtime first in any situation. 
LBH: he can't stand missing that himself. (laugh)
f1: In casting Lee Byung-hun, what do you expect from him as an actor?
LBH: Because the hero can be director himself, but out of actors close to him I'm the only one who's good looking. (laugh)
Park: People says that  Lee byung hun is a handsome actor, well he is, but strangely I feel sort of commonness(or homeliness?) from him. He's different from actors who's so good looking that they seem to glow. The director in the movie even though he is said to be great, but he's no star nor he is the type revered by people. I want to make the character, while his career is recognized, but still a normal person. Sometimes I would like to use actor with a strong personality, and someone who has something that cannot be replaced, but sometimes I want an actor who can excel anything he does. Soohyuk's role in JSA is like that. Maybe it's only me, but I think Byunghun has a image of a normal person.
f1: Can you tell us fun episode while shooting?
Park: He was very inquisitive last time I was shooting, and I forgot for a while but now that I shoot again with him...(laugh) Jitae Yoo in "Old boy" is similar too. At least after Yoo, it was a bit better.
LBH: Why he sounds like he doesn't like my inquisitiveness in interviews?
Park: No, I didn't.
f1: You must be infamous(?) for all your questions on set.
LBH: I think the most important thing is the consensus between the director and the actor. Director wants to show what he intended and actors/actresses are who's expressing it, it's dangerous if those two has even small difference in their thinking. To express emotions are very detailed work. I would like to make that part certain, at least.
Park: When discussing details in acting, Byung-hun didn't ask like 'what's the emotion here' but he shows samples like "is it this? or is it that?" Sometimes he points out scenes where I'm pondered about too, but sometimes i think "it's such a small difference it would be all the same while acting, why is it that important". But when he shows it's really different. It's not the same at all, nothing like just by words. So I thought that he's a real pro!( or pro is a pro! )
f1: Do you two have a drink together, personally?
Park: We had wine together after shoot always.
LBH: Even if shooting ended after 4 AM, he still had wines til 6. ( laugh)
Park: It's too much to have stronger liquor on the set. The drinking on the set was the most memorable to me. While I had some after shooting in different places, this is the first time just having a cup of two after the shooting, on the set.
f1: Even if "3 monsters" is a horror movie, but what do you think audience would feel after watching this movie?
Park: Sadness. "3 monsters" is not that scary itself as a horror movie. Rather there are more funny moments. The issue is that because it feels like there are more scary things to come, it's difficult to laugh freely even if it's funny. (laugh) Afraid to be thrown off suddenly while laughing, audience may be on the edgy and nervous themselves. Well the feeling after watching this movie, a feeling of pity? For both Byung-hun or the intruder Wonhee Lim...
f1: I heard that there's twist, but I guess you'll not tell.
Park: Twist is not so important in this movie unlike "Old boy". Throughout the story, two are against each other constantly using their brains.
LBH: which showed the nasty characteristics.
Park: Such a good and nice person especially in the story plays dirty and crude tricks continuously. (laugh) Even if it's something other people already know and calculated in their measures.
LBH: Then I felt that I'm losing my soul and being possessed.  (laugh)
f1: Lee Byung-Hun may be interested in directing movie himself.
Park: I always tell him to try it.
LBH: Not that I don't think about it at all. When I was little, becoming director was my dream. Thought about it a lot especially when I work with director Park.
Park: Like I would be able to do it if it's just that? (laugh)
LBH: Directing movie seems to be very interesting work. To us, director Park must have all the conti's complete in his head, but in actual set he's always in conflict, worries, and research. "To do this way is better in such points, and to do that way is better in other points, what shall I do". It seems to be very interesting work, to imagine different results and choose steps one by one. It would be stressful, but I think he does it because of fun in that.
f1: Do you memo your ideas?
LBH: I don't have that capability. Writing memory or keeping diaries. So even if I don't want to, most things I forgot about them naturally. (laugh) I have lots of ideas not just about movies but other things too. For example, doing this type of business would be very successful, or making such album(music) would be popular.
f1: To have that many ideas but forgot them, isn't that because you're lazy? Sounds too good to miss.
LBH: Isn't it?(laugh). But the funny thing is the thing I thought I would use in movies or actings , after 1 or 2 years it appeared in some other movies. Or I was being proud myself on some fresh ideas, but was already out there by someone unknown to me. (laugh)
f1: Will it be the same with director's tendency in enjoying bloodthirsty scenes, this time?
LBH: what's so funny about director's paradox is that he shoots many bloodthirsty and cruel movies, but he himself are uneasy about those scenes. (laugh). While shooing this movie, there was this noise "urgh~ urgh~" from somewhere while camera is on. It turned out that it's the director who's watching monitor, because he felt that it's too nasty.(laugh). He seems to be enjoying Sadism and masochism at the same time. To show audience such vicious scenes is sadistic, and for being suffered himself shooting these nasty scenes is masochistic.(laugh)
f1: It's unexpected. Female audiences imagined that in Old boy, there's a scary scene after Mr. Choi cut tongue but must have been cut because it was too much.
Park: Well, there was. The scene showing the tongue on the floor after it was cut. But it's actually the staff who prepared it without asking. They thought it'll be needed, which I never told them to. When they came up to me with that thing, I was so frightened and told them to get rid of it ASAP. (laugh)
LBH: But I am sure you thought about putting remote control in the tongue so that it moves by itself. (laugh)
f1: Don't you want to shoot something really beautiful, rather than shooting this type of scary movie? To show such a handsome actor as a really dashing man, and very lovable in the movie.
Park: Other peoples are already doing it so well, so I don't need too.... (laugh)
LBH: It's actually more interesting that way. In other movies I look dashing, and doing movies like this with him is a novel experience.
Park - Hmhmhm ( laugh )

May 21, 2013
Korean director Park Chan-wook's 2002 film to be remade in Hollywood
YonhapNews
SEOUL, May 21 (Yonhap) -- A crime thriller by South Korea's acclaimed filmmaker Park Chan-wook will get remade for American audiences, a Korean film studio involved in the project said Tuesday.
   CJ E&M said it has decided to co-produce the remake of "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" with three Hollywood studios -- Silver Reel, Lotus Entertainment and Di Bonaventura Pictures.
   Released in 2002, "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" is a dark, disturbing tale about a young girl's kidnapping and her father's quest for merciless revenge.
   It is the first installment of Park's revenge trilogy but became the third in the trilogy slated for a remake.
   The second and final installments -- "Oldboy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" -- are being made into Hollywood remakes.
   Directed by Spike Lee and starring Josh Brolin and Elizabeth Olsen, the American version of "Oldboy" is scheduled to open in North America in October.
   The remake of the "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" is also underway.
   Charlize Theron's film company Denver & Delilah Films announced late last year that the American version of the film is moving forward with Academy Award-winning screenwriter William Monahan on board to adapt.

May 21, 2013
Park Chan Wook's 'Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance' to be Remade by Hollywood
CJ E&M enewsWorld An So Hyoun Translation Credit : Erika Kim  
Director Park Chan Wook′s Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance will be remade as a Hollywood film.
On May 20, Deadline reported that "Silver Reel and Lotus Entertainment have partnered with di Bonaventura Pictures and CJ Entertainment for an English-language remake of Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance."
36662002.jpg

Warner Brothers America purchased the rights to Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance in 2010. At the time, reports stated that Brian Tucker of Broken City would be working on the scenario, but production did not continue.
The film was the only one in director Park′s revenge trilogy to not get a remake by Hollywood. A version of Old Boy, produced by director Spike Lee, will be premiering in October, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is also in production.
Photo credit: enews DB

May 20, 2013
Interview: Producer Kyu Lee on Bringing Psy and 'Korean Wave' of Pop Culture to US
by Anna Sohn Asia Society
130520_lee_blog.jpg Kyu Lee grabbed attention last year for teaming up with Justin Bieber's manager Scooter Braun to bring Psy stateside, touching off the "Gangnam Style" phenomenon. Known in the media industry as "Q," he connects A-list Korean stars and directors to the U.S., helping to bring Hallyu (the "Korean wave") to a wider audience.
Born in Seoul, South Korea, Kyu immigrated to the U.S. at the age of two. He began his entertainment career with a ten-year stint at Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), where he rose to Executive Assistant to both the Vice Chairman of SPE and Chairman of Columbia Pictures Motion Picture Group. Kyu is also the founder and CEO of Kino 33 Entertainment.
Asian Americans are becoming an important demographic in the U.S. culturally, politically and economically. What are your thoughts on this increasing influence, and how do you think it'll impact the entertainment industry?I think it's just the right time for us to finally have a presence, not just in Hollywood, but in mainstream entertainment. I've worked at Sony Pictures for ten-plus years and I've always wanted to be able to promote more Asian content and Asian talent in the mainstream market, using Sony as a platform. I've seen a lot of content, players, and talent come and go. I've seen a lot of projects that could have been not really happen the way they should have. But with the recent success that I've had with Psy, it opened up the gates a little bit wider for not just Koreans, but something other than Chinese, to really break into the market.
So I think it's great, I think it's a perfect opportunity for us to really take advantage of the market and show what we have to offer rather than one-dimensional Karate Kids or Fast and the Furiouses or typecast roles. It's an opportunity for all of us to show the market that Asians can play more three-dimensional roles. And that's one of my responsibilities as a producer in this industry.
2013 has been a big year for Korean movie directors. Director Ji-woon Kim made his Hollywood debut with The Last Stand, Chan-wook Park's first English film Stoker came out and Joon-ho Bong will release his first English film, Snowpiercer, this year. Is this the movement we'll be seeing with Korean directors and will they find their footing in Hollywood?Absolutely. While I was at Sony, one of the projects I was involved with was a movie called Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War. It was directed by Je-kyu Kang and he's one of the first Korean directors to come to Hollywood, to try to set foot in here. But we're seeing a lot more of that now with Ji-woon Kim, who I actually work with now and Chan-wook Park and Joon-ho Bong. I know the studios have been really keen on looking for new talent outside of the U.S. They've had their radar on these directors and finally they had an opportunity where they could work with them. I think the timing just happened to be that everyone came at the same time but I don't think that was the purpose. There's a lot of talent out there in directors in Hollywood and also in Korea, so yes, I do see a lot more going forward.
What are some projects that you're most excited about for 2013?I'm producing a film called Seoul Searching. The director is Benson Lee, who's also the director of Miss Monday, which won the Special Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival. He also did the acclaimed documentary Planet B-Boy and directed a movie called Battle of the Year, which is being released by Sony Pictures in September. So his next film is called Seoul Searching and I'm the main producer of that project. I'm pretty excited about that. We're probably going to start shooting in the next couple of months, so [i'm] getting ready for that.
What are the biggest trends and developments that we'll see with Hallyu in the future?It's really in the hands of people like Psy, the directors that we just mentioned, or myself. With the leverage, association, and the power that we have in the industry, now that we've all done projects together, it's our responsibility to be a leader in a way that when we do a project, you find a way to collaborate with more Korean staff, producers, talent, musicians, songwriters to help them gain more exposure. If we can open up the gate of opportunity to more Asian Americans or Asians from their native countries like Korea, Japan, or China, or in Southeast Asia, we need to spearhead that. I think if we do that, we'll get a little notoriety in the skills that we have. But without that, this will just be a fad and we'll have to start all over again. So it's really important for people like Psy or Ji-woon Kim, Byung-hun Lee, or myself to really instill more Asians into projects.
What was your role in bringing Psy to the U.S.? Did his success take you by surprise?I was absolutely surprised. But I'm the one that found Psy, I brought him to the U.S., and Scooter and I, we jointly got him signed and released "Gangnam Style" in the U.S. So it was a joint effort. Scooter called me and asked me if I saw "Gangnam Style" and I said no, but let me check it out. He said he wanted to buy the rights to the song, but I said that's boring. I'll bring Psy, why don't you meet him and let's do something together, rather than just buy the rights to the song. From that, all hell broke loose.
Korean entertainment companies are known for training and pushing out idol groups and singers who sometimes seem very similar to one another. Do you think the industry will break away from this manufactured K-pop mold with the success of Psy, a decidedly original entertainer?I think that's a loaded question. The training process, not just in entertainment, but in sports is all very similar in Korea. They're very structured, very fundamentally organized. They want to perfect their skills before they go on the stage or on the field. When you do so much repetition, sometimes that turns into robotics, and yeah, there's your talents that get plastic surgery and that kind of stuff, trying to build their image into a more glamorous, a more stylish feel.
But I think times are getting better with SNS and the Internet, broadband, and so many different ways content is being distributed, and the content getting a bit more globalized and universal. Thanks to all these different collaborations going on around the world, it's really increasing exposure, notoriety, and ideas around the world. So I wouldn't say Korean entertainment is too structured or robotic, but I think it's getting a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

May 31, 2013
Park Chan-wook short invited to Edinburgh
By Lee Hyun-jeong The Korea Herald

A short film co-directed by Park Chan-wook and his brother Park Chan-kyong, “Day Trip (Cheongchul-eoram),” has been invited to the 67th Edinburgh International Film Festival (EIFF), one of the oldest running film festivals in the world. 
The movie, showcased in December 2012, will be screened as part of “Focus on Korea,” a special section that offers an opportunity to explore Korean movies. This is Park’s second time to show in Edinburgh after the movie “Oldboy” in 2004. 
20130531000592_0.jpg
Park Chan-wook. (The Korea Herald file photo)
The 18-minute short features a special day between a master of pansori, Korean traditional vocal and percussion music, and his student. Taking place on Namsan Mountain in Gyeongju, North Gyeongsang Province, the film highlights the harmony of nature and Korean folk music. Song Kang-ho, who starred as a vampire priest in Park’s 2009 “Thirst,” plays a stubborn pansori master in the film. Jeon Hyo-sung, a 15-year-old actress who is also a pansori student, takes on the role of the master’s student. 
“Day Trip” was originally released online last December as part of a movie project marking the 40th anniversary of Kolon Sport, an outdoor clothing brand. 
EIFF will show 146 films from 53 countries including 14 world premieres, six international premieres and 10 European premieres. The festival this year will highlight films from Korea in a special section titled, “Focus on Korea,” screening movies ranging from mainstream commercial films to independent cinema. Featured films include, “Jiseul,” “National Security(Namyeong-dong 1985),” “Pluto (Myeongwangseong),” “The Berlin File,” and “Virgin Forest (Wonsirim).”
Within the festival, there are two small competition categories. Of those, Bong Joon-ho, the director of “Host” will head the International Feature Film Competition Jury and choose the best film with actress Natalie Dormer and film critic Siobhan Synnot. One Korean movie, “Juvenile Offender (Beomjoe Sonyeon)” is a candidate for the competition.
Swedish movies will also be highlighted at “Focus on Sweden” and new works by American independent directors will be screened at “American Dream.” 
Edinburgh International Film Festival will be held from June 19 to 30. 

• 2 weeks later...

June 12, 2013
Bong Joon-ho's English debut set for August 1 release
By Suk Gee-hyun The Korea Herald

201306121150580510_1.jpg

Korean film distributor CJ E&M has announced the release date for director Bong Joon-ho’s upcoming thriller, “Snowpiercer.”
Bong’s English-language debut, starring Song Kang-ho, Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans, will hit local theaters on Aug. 1 and open later in North America, France, Japan and Russia, CJ E&M officials said in a statement on Wednesday.
The sci-fi film is based on the French graphic novel “Le Transperceneige” by Jacques Lob and Jean-Marc Rochette. Set mostly on a train in a post-apocalyptic future, the film portrays all living creatures aside from riders on the train, the “Snowpiercer,” dying with the arrival of an ice age. 
The train never stops and travels around the world to ensure the remaining people’s survival. The survivors must also fight their way to the first carriage, a critique of rigid social class structures.
Park Chan-wook of “Old Boy” fame co-produced the film and CJ E&M reportedly poured around 45 billion won ($39.8 million) into the project. 

June 12, 2013
SNOWPIERCER on Track for August 1 BowBONG Joon-ho’s Latest 50 Days Away by Pierce Conran KOFIC
Snowpiercer2013_zpsd4a43bcd.jpgThe hotly anticipated Snowpiercer, the English-language debut of director BONG Joon-ho (Memories of Murder, The Host), has finally been granted a release date. Earlier today, distributor CJ Entertainment confirmed that the star-studded post-apocalyptic SF feature will be debuting on August 1st in South Korea. Though no other global dates have been announced, it has been confirmed that Korea will be getting the film first. Starring Chris EVANS, Ed HARRIS, Jonh HURT, Tilda SWINTON, SONG Kang-ho, Octavia SPENCER, Ewen BREMNER, Jamie BELL and KO Ah-sung, Snowpiercer follows the last survivors of a futuristic Earth, who travel around their planet’s frosty terrain in a perpetually moving train, in the midst of an ice age. Within the ‘Snowpiercer’, society is broken down by class. The rich and affluent live it up at the front while the rest languish at the back. Dissent begins to brew among the oppressed inhabitants of the train’s back carriages, which leads to riot. With only 50 days remaining until the film’s release, the blockbuster is kicking its marketing into overdrive: nine new posters were revealed yesterday and a trailer is expected soon. Though nothing is confirmed for its international release dates, CJ has previously stated that they hope to release the film worldwide in August.

June 13, 2013
Director Bong Jun Ho's 'Snowpiercer' to Premiere in Korea
CJ E&M enewsWorld Jeon Su Mi Translation Credit : Erika Kim  
Director Bong Jun Ho′s global blockbuster Snowpiercer will be premiering in Korea on August 1. This will be the film′s first premiere in the world.
Snowpiercer is based on a French science fiction comic, and is about what happens inside a train that holds the last human survivors of a new ice age.
It stars Korean actor Song Kang Ho, as well as Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Jamie Bell, Octavia Spencer, Ewen Bremner, Ed Harris, Alison Pill and other prominent actors.

After its premiere in Korea, the film will be distributed in the U.S., France, Britain, Japan, Russia, Eastern Europe, Australia, South America and Scandinavia, covering an unprecedented amount of ground for a Korean film.
Jung Tae Sung, from the film department of CJ E&M, said, "We′re talking over global premiere schedules in order to help the Snowpiercer syndrome snowball in the world after its premiere in Korea. We′re sure the film will show Korea′s best creativity and quality."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

July 5, 2013
Auteur Park Chan-wook Directs Lee Jung-hyun Music Video
by Kang Jung Yeon TENASIA
2013070515512513903-615x345.jpg
Still photo of Lee Hung-hyun in film “Juvenile Offender” released on November 2012 [Time Story Group]
Korean singer-actress Lee Jung-hyun will be releasing a new tune this month whose music video was directed by critically acclaimed director Park Chan-wook.
An official with her agency AVA Films & Entertainment told TenAsia on Friday that Lee, from Tuesday to today, shot the music video for her album which will be released on July 25.
Lee and actor Jin Goo star in the music video whose storyline and concept have yet to be unveiled, the official added.
Park and Lee had worked together previously through a film titled “Night Fishing,” released in 2011, which Lee starred in.
The official then explained Lee will make a full-scale comeback on the day of her album’s release and give her first performance at Mnet’s music program “M! Countdown” the same day.
The upcoming album will be her second special album – she made her debut in 1999 and has released seven studio albums, one mini-album and one special album to date.
Meanwhile, Lee is currently on a break after finishing filming of periodical film “Tornado Ocean” (translated title) with Choi Min-shik and Ryu Seung-ryong.
Reporter. Kang Jung Yeon atoz@tenasia.co.krEditor. Jessica Kim
Courtesy of Time Story Group

July 6, 2013
Auteur Park Chan-Wook directs Lee Jung-Hyun's comeback music video
Source: Asia Today
835772_0_m550334_98477.jpg

Famous Korean film director Park Chan-Wook directed singer Lee Jung-Hyun's new music video.
According to a media outlet on the 5th, director Park Chan-Wook and his younger brother Park Chan-Kyung started directing a large-scale music video in Kyunggi-do from the 4th. Actor Jin Goo will be starring in the music video.
Park Chan-Wook and Park Chan-Kyung previously worked together with Lee Jung-Hyun through a film titled "Night Fishing", released in 2011. Jin Goo is known to be Lee Jung-Hyun's old close friend.
Lee Jung-Hyun will return after 3 years of hiatus since her 7th album in 2010.

July 7, 2013
Park Chan-wook directs video for Lee Jung-hyun
By Ahn Joo-hee Korea JoongAng Daily

20130705_1372992542_69404300_1.jpg

Park Chan-wook, the internationally acclaimed director of the movie “Old Boy” and “Thirst,” has wielded a megaphone for the music video of singer Lee Jung-hyun. It is the first time for the veteran director, 49, to work on a music video.
Lee’s agency AVA Entertainment said Friday that Park shot the music clip starring Lee and her friend, actor Jin Goo, for the title song from her upcoming EP with his brother Park Chan-kyong in Namyangju, Gyeonggi, from last Tuesday to Friday. 
Previously, Lee, 33, played a lead role in the brothers’ 2011 short film “Night Fishing,” which was filmed entirely on an iPhone 4 camera and earned the brothers the “Golden Bear” award at the Berlin International Film Festival in February 2011.
With her album release on July 22, the songstress will break a three-year hiatus since her seventh album in 2010. 

July 8, 2013
Lee Jung hyun to open new chapter with new song V
BNTNews
cyesmtswjc2nu2021eltc00vc6qq7wk9.jpg
[by Joy Kim] Legendary K-pop diva and actress Lee Jung hyun will be back, with new song and music video. 
Lee Jung hyun made an announcement she will release new single 'V' on 22nd of July. For the music video, famous film director Park Chan wook and his brother Park Chan kyung joined the production. Making photos were released. It is expected to convey director Park's unique sense and ideas. 
Lee has been famous for her different and unique concepts and performances. Her new song 'V' is a dance song with movie-scale music video. Top staffs and professionals were gathered for her video. I 
She met the brothers and their brand 'Parking CHANce' from short film Night Fishing (2011) which won the Golden Bear award from Berlin Film festival.  
On 11th of July, she will release the main teaser photos and two different teaser video on 15th and 18th. She will start promotion from her show case on 22nd of July. The full length of the song and the video will be released on same day. 
Meanwhile, her new song 'V' is written as a house dance genre and she participated in the producing and lyrics. (photo by AVA Films & Entertainment) 

July 7, 2013
Director Park Chan-wook directs music video
By Suh Hye-rim The Korea Herald

One of the most acclaimed and popular filmmakers in Korea, Park Chan-wook, is directing singer Lee Jung-hyun’s new music video for her upcoming mini album’s title song, according to Lee’s agency Ava Film and Entertainment on Friday.
Park Chan-wook is most known for his 2002 film “Joint Security Area,” the vengeance trilogy “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance,” “Oldboy,” and “Sympathy for Lady Vengeance” as well as his latest Hollywood film “Stoker.” His films are noted for their often brutal subject matter.
“Director Park and his brother Park Chan-kyong have been working on Lee Jung-hyun’s music video for her mini album title since July 2,” an official from Lee’s agency said. The music video will be released at the end of July. The three had worked together on the 2011 short film “Night Fishing (Paranmanjang),” leading them to work together once again. 
Singer and actress Lee is widely known as “the techno queen” as she introduced the techno music genre to Korea in 2000. She is making her comeback as a singer after a three-year hiatus since her seventh album in 2010. 
Source: Nate
20130708_0613041206598_3.jpg

July 8, 2013
World-Renowned Park Chan Wook to Direct Lee Jung Hyun’s New MV
jnkm soompi.com
World-renowned film director Park Chan Wook (“Old Boy“) will be directing Lee Jung Hyun‘s new music video for her upcoming single, which will be released on July 22.
On July 8, stills from Lee Jung Hyun’s upcoming music video “V” have been released.
It has been reported that Park Chan Wook, along with his brother Park Chan Kyung will be directing this music video, which stars Jin Goo. Jin Goo and Lee Jung Hyun will star together in an upcoming film, “Battlefield – Whirlwind Sea.”
Music videos usually take seven days to complete with two or three days to film and the rest of the time to edit. However, it has been known that Park Chan Wook has been working on this music video for quite some time.
Park Chan Wook and Lee Jung Hyun became connected through the 2011 film, “Night Fishing” and grew close ever since.
This will be Lee Jung Hyun’s first come back in three years. She will reveal the main still cuts on July 11. Two different teaser clips will be released on July 15 and July 18. The music video as well as Lee Jung Hyun’s comeback showcase will be revealed on July 22.
Lee Jung Hyun’s “V” is a house dance track that is just right for summer. It is also known that Lee Jung Hyun actively participated in the producing and writing lyrics for this special single.

July 10, 2013
'Oldboy' Remake to Premiere in October
The Chosun Ilbo
2013071001445_0.jpg

A poster for the U.S. remake of "Oldboy" featuring lead actor Josh Brolin was unveiled on Monday. Spike Lee has stepped into the director's chair to show audiences his take on Park Chan-wook's 2003 thriller.
As Lee suggested his remake will be "even darker" than Park's version, the poster shows Brolin, who assumes the starring role previously inhabited by Choi Min-sik, emerging from a traveling chest -- after spending 20 years locked in a private cell for reasons unknown to him.
Elizabeth Olsen, Samuel Jackson and Sharlto Copley also appear in the film, which will come out in the U.S. in October.
The release date for Korea has not yet been decided.

July 12, 2013
[uK] Park Chan-wook's "JSA - Joint Security Area" at the Prince Charles Cinema on Wednesday 31 July
Source: The Prince Charles Cinema via Hancinema.net
terracottafc490.jpg

For this summer's edition Terracotta Film Club revisits the early work from Park Chan-wook, the acclaimed South Korean director of "Old Boy" and "STOKER". The screening on 31 July follows days after the 60th anniversary of the ceasefire agreement between North and South Korea on 27 July. "JSA - Joint Security Area" is a tense thriller where an incident one night jeopardises the delicately balanced North and South Korean ceasefire agreement.
A box office smash in its country back in 2000, it features a younger Lee Byeong-Heon, who is now enjoying global stardom since he landed in the G.I. JOE franchise and RED 2. Prolific actor Song Kang-ho will also be in the international spotlight soon with the highly anticipated release of "Snowpiercer". In August, Terracotta Film Club will be playing the dark thriller romance REVENGE: A LOVE STORY. A serial-killer targeting pregnant women on the loose to coincide with Frightfest.
---
"JSA - Joint Security Area":
Wednesday 31 July at 6.30pm doors open/ 6.45pm film startsTicket price: £ 7.50 (Prince Charles cinema members £ 5.00). Cast: Lee Young-ae, Lee Byeong-Heon, Song Kang-ho, Kim Tae-woo, Sin Ha-gyoonDirector: Park Chan-wookRuntime: 110 min. / Cert.15 / Action Thriller / 2000Country: South Korea, Korean language with English subtitles.Original Title: Gongdong gyeongbi guyeok JSA/공동경비구역 JSA Synopsis:
Set on the volatile Demilitarised Zone between the South and the communist North Korea. After a confused incident at night, where both sides open fire at each other, one North Korean soldier is killed and a South Korean soldier is injured. Hoping to avoid an escalation in the crisis, both sides agree to allow neutral Korean-Swiss investigator Sophie Jean (Lee Young-ae, "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance") to look into the case. When she discovers discrepancies in the amount of bullets fired from each soldier's gun that night, and when witnesses try to commit suicide rather than talk to her, Jean realises that the truth behind the shooting is much more explosive. Stars Lee Byeong-Heon (RED 2, GI JOE, "A Bittersweet Life") and Song Kang-ho ("Snowpiercer", "The Host").