bwahahahah... :loolz: the scene in ep 12 where the king's assistant has to explain how his wife cheers him up when he is depressed, LOL. he is so embarrassed to explain to the queen, lady choi and even the guards are listening. just as he is dying of embarrassment, the king comes in and demands to know what happened. bwahahahah... terrors of work in the palace. :joy:

• LOL 4

8 hours ago, ElleSor said:

I was hoping the book/ novel would get translated but it never was, as far as I know.

Hello and welcome,  @ElleSor! Take a look at the last two  links on page 1 of this thread. The first one, by Breathless Survival, is a series of translated excerpts from the books. By the way, the two books Song Ji-na wrote only go through Episode 7. 

The last link is my extensive recap/adaptation of the series, and I have included some of those excerpts with Breathless Survival’s permission, as well as some bits from the script. 

I hope you enjoy these!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, msdot said:

Hello and welcome,  @ElleSor! Take a look at the last two  links on page 1 of this thread. The first one, by Breathless Survival, is a series of translated excerpts from the books. By the way, the two books Song Ji-na wrote only go through Episode 7. 

The last link is my extensive recap/adaptation of the series, and I have included some of those excerpts with Breathless Survival’s permission, as well as some bits from the script. 

I hope you enjoy these!

Wow! Thanks so much!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thoughts on Episode 15

At the end of the previous episode Eun-soo starts moaning while sleeping, and Young is unable to rouse her. Alarmed, he throws his scabbard and sword onto the floor in order to take her into her arms, calling “Imja!” and trying to shake her awake. There’s clear symbolism in discarding that sword; in his heart she now comes first, even before being a warrior. Even later, Dr. Jang has to remind him to take his sword when he leaves.

717d2Kk.jpg?1

Once Young learns that she’s been poisoned by Prince Hyung, he literally runs to the Prince’s house seeking the antidote. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Young beat up the Prince – the Prince is so deserving of a good beating! And I liked watching Young’s fury, while at the same time his eyes glisten in pain and fear for Eun-soo’s life. Excellent acting by LMH. Young’s line, that he’s killed more men than he can count but he’s always tried to minimize their suffering, is very memorable. It emphasizes both sides of him: he’s an efficient killer but also human, compassionate in his own way. I think the best soldiers in any era are like that, able to somehow maintain their grip on humanity.

Spoiler

O29O4xa.jpg

V9qe8zW.jpg

BCksjDT.jpg

Young has to keep his rage on a very tight leash to avoid killing the Prince while he agrees to steal the King’s Royal Seal. We see how smart Young is as he pleads with the King to give him the seal while having already stolen it as insurance if the King denies his request. Young also fights with his own Woodalchi, careful not to inflict permanent injury while showing his incredible fighting expertise. Good action scenes, I thought, nicely edited in the fight with Deok-man between a stunt double and LMH. And I felt for Dol-bae, who just couldn’t bring himself to tell the archers to keep shooting at Young. Besides Dae-man, the emotional Dol-bae is the Woodalchi closest to Young.

Spoiler

WAcry6N.jpg

KlDIF5D.jpg

0mB9nWn.jpg

The scenes between Young and Eun-soo keep getting sweeter in each episode as their love for each other continues to grow. Now he’s holding her, letting her rest on his chest, taking her hand in his, even helping her drink her medicine. His smile at her when he leaves to get the second dose of antidote is filled with tender love. These intimate gestures are juxtaposed with scenes of poignancy. She discovers that she’ll need to leave in a month or stay there forever, and both of them look like a relative just died when she tells him about it. And she dreams of finding his dead body on a floor. In the dream she lifts his chest and head and gently kisses him on the forehead while starting to cry. We see how much she cares for him as she starts whimpering and sobbing, crying, “Don’t die! Don’t die!” while still mostly unconscious.

Spoiler

l6yhz0l.jpg

XMHjjzz.jpg

VcyrAlp.jpg

jdSYyqO.jpg

With the Queen’s help the King realizes what Young meant when he questioned the value of the Royal Seal, and his conscience is stricken as he recalls calling Young “crazy” and a “bas__d.” But he shows his own political smarts when he covers the loss of the seal by telling his advisors that he has thrown the seal away and wants a new one, one that is more appropriate to the King of Goryeo rather than the Yuan Emperor’s son-in-law. But it still doesn’t save him from Il Shin’s, Prince Hyung’s and Ki Chul’s maneuvering. The uprising starts as Young is still waiting for the second dose of the antidote. And in an ironic turn of events, Young is even forced to save the Prince from Ki Chul’s rage. I can’t imagine Young’s feelings about having to do that for the poisoner of his love, someone he holds in utter contempt and regards as less than human. And then, as if to confirm Young’s opinion, the Prince taunts him with whether he’ll save Eun-soo or the King. Ki Chul has a sometimes over-the-top humorous side, but the Prince is all evil, a guy we can truly love to hate!

Spoiler

N8unrFE.jpg

LH7YODR.jpg

tRzl8Ox.jpg

• Like 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

22 hours ago, msdot said:

Thoughts on Episode 15

The scenes between Young and Eun-soo keep getting sweeter in each episode as their love for each other continues to grow. Now he’s holding her, letting her rest on his chest, taking her hand in his, even helping her drink her medicine. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Great recap @msdot - waiting for your Epi 16, also looking forward to @Thong Thin

I love the King GM-Queen Noguk pair - her sense of calmness and wise perception; in persuading the King to relate the lines CY said earlier, making the King realised about the seal and the need to understand and serve his people.  And the way she put her arm around the King , comforting and encouraging him followed by the King clasping her hand in the end, just like how CY doing so tenderly to ES.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Episode 15

ES is hovering between life and death and CY is paralysed with shock for a moment as it dawns on him when he was told that ES was poison by DH.  CY desperate and in his panic self willing to try anything that may work and gave aspirin bottle to JB.

7wvIi01IQpphf0BuF6K11EHDlZFEXc_ORBFsCbao

Striken with guilt & worries, CY scream in desperation as his eyes glistening with unshed tears wanting to know how long does she have.Blinking back his tears and trying to control his emotion, CY takes one last look at ES who is now lying with a cyanosed coloring to her skin and almost left without his sword. 

CY is running as if there’s no tomorrow, instructs Spear Boy in mid-run to ensure that JB was not followed and to carry a message to his Pledged Uncle, that ES is ill and cannot be moved.
As CY runs on, his mind replaying the dying moments of his young Prince  and then to the memory of ES lying unconscious in his arms.

Spoiler

4T_qYWxeiGfc3BrmvDEVXiTVH0bKAfa74-VhN2dO

CY bursts into a DH room and asks for the antidote. Calm DH trying to play with time, but CY loses his patience, angered and rage he turns the table laden with  food, at the same time dropping his sword as he grabs DH by his neck and demands the antidote.Cries DH, for which CY answers with a punch to his face throwing him backwards against the wall, his lip bleeding(YES, YES. YES DUCK HIND DESERVED THE BEATING- )  CY retorts as his eyes start filling up with anger and , fear is evident in DH's eyes as CY grabs his arm, twists him around and pins him face to the wall, with his sword on the back of his neck.

ArCbQH0N_6J7ffOjyxSvkjm8FD-5C0F49qclDWjN

When DH ignore CY’s demand for the antidote, we see the fierce wrath of Daejang murderous expression tighten his grip on his sword and put further pressure on DH’s neck and threaten the next stroke would be to severe his limbs.

DH tells him "If I die, YOUR WOMAN dies as well. She is your woman, isn't she?" And CY does not say a word to deny this fact, that ES is his woman. Instead, he releases his hold on DH's neck, as if in affirmation. CY is incredulous at DH's request to steal the Royal Seal in exchange for the antidote but gives in.

ES lying unconscious on a bed looking very pale, retracing her jumbled memory in her feverish stated. ES was wearing traditional Goryo cloths, treating children and lift CY up in her arms, sobbing and tears streaming down her face kissing his forehead tenderly.  ( Swooning the side profile...so handsome)

Spoiler

QQEX1iCjINn9MeeZEsugO-Phumf20AxLyt5x2KIS

CY is still sitting at ES's bedside holding her hand in both of his. He's talking to her as his voice and gaze are so tender, and we see that his fingers are caressing her hand that they are holding.

Spoiler

FCjT7SREo9G7bgqSZO4RIKHPk0PGQBbKKLNgvsf3

As he continues, he hears a sobbing from her and her blue-tipped fingers moves in his hand.  He strokes her forehead,"Imja, are you awake?" but she continues sobbing, her eyes closed and says.. please don’t die.

ES wakes up from her poisoned state and saw CY stands at the doorway.

Spoiler

cjghWd2oo-vilL5drCqNSlNsHRB7guNQ3Nd9zHzd

MiEEnP38ZYOKW5zIen-bTm_j7aR4y20aWaSUw_6C

He looks down regretfully,guilty perhaps and unable to look at her.When CY obediently acquiesces to ES's request to sit behind her, I was smiling. He's accepting all the skinships she's initiating without any fuss. He looks so sad and about to burst into tears at the thought of her returning home sooner than he expects and pulls her closer towards him her back against his chest so that he can hold her hands.

And there is this scene.. where he helps to make her medicine! and she cajoles him to feed it to her because it's bitter, making faces like a kid - and he helps her drink, supporting her, cuddling her (LOL, Aunt and Auncle's faces at seeing the deadly warrior play nursemaid so tenderly.)

How she smiles at him despite the pains she is going through at that moment and how he smiles back at her reassuringly so that she wouldn't worry about him.

But the second he leaves, she collapses in pain as she couldn't move her hands.

Spoiler

QGuOOEDa13ui_2BjqBINlz9tQKwMqzLZyPFxz_U5

2jltNO8H-KlYBT_nuymk80RYeP2k22zCjeAlkuxk

NG and LC come in to the King's GM office to see the King.  NG has a tender look on her face as she looks upon her husband whose face is still a mask of anger staring at something unseen in front of him.
GM tells the NG that CY has betrayed him. NG sharp as nails asks
, and requests apologetically, for GM to repeat in exact detail what CY said. GM's face pales, as he hears again CY's voice asking him who gave him that seal. He sits down utterly stunned & devastated, his voice shaking in emotion as he speaks."I did not even try to reason/figure it out but accused CY of having gone crazy !  Tears starts glisten in GM's eyes. NG gently approaches him, puts her arm around him and hugs him from behind. His hand slowly reaches for her hand on his shoulder, his tears threatening to fall. He holds her hand tightly as she hugs him lovingly.

Love the way NG hugged GM...so sweet & loving.

Spoiler

dJSooqfNylGLMHXxTjguOsI_5fEUmUzjsKWefXF2

RKRE7YXbQFOniMAxsK9EGlioK5TZWsOygdsPCl7B

** THE END  **

Edited by Thong Thin
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

BCksjDT.jpg

EP15

The cutest thing ever, CY thinks ES’s aspirin can cure anything, LOL. The anger and fear for ES on his face is fascinating.  When he heard it was the Prince, I can imagine the guilt he felt, another thing he did though unknowingly to hurt ES. I won’t want to be in his shoes at that moment. He is starting to have problems with his sword which has never left his side in the past.  He forgot his trusty sword.

The scene with CY and the prince is simply awesome, CY who kills without causing pain now wants to torture the prince to death. That he is royalty does not matter.  There is so much bravado in his actions, destroying the table and smashing the prince to the wall.  The fearsome look on his face as he threatens the prince. The rage, just astounding.  LMH is amazing in this scene.

Another engrossing scene is when he asks the king for the seal.  What the high doctor did for them, he is asking the king as a king to save her life and CY as a citizen is asking for his help. Finally, he said who gave you the seal anyway.  The clue is there but the king did not get its meaning.  CY is sharp and wise, teaching the king patiently what it means to be king and the meaning of the seal. It is a simple scene but with so much symbolism. The back and forth between king and his general.

The fight scene between CY and Deok Man.  I can’t be 100% sure but I think some of the action is by LMH, the flying kick and when he twirled around, some wire is used there though. That action scene was one of the better ones.

After she was given the medicine, CY held her hands to warm it like she did to his frozen hand. He remembers and tried to do likewise, I missed this when I watched this scene before, it just dawned on me his reason for holding her hand and also an excuse to touch her :smile:

The prince is sneaky playing on both sides.

I did like the sweet scene between the king and queen. She is so wise and asks him to tell her the exact exchange between CY and himself. In doing so, it dawned on him what CY was saying, a king serves his citizens and friends.  How is the seal given by another nation more important than that? A very important message. He now feels bad that he called CY crazy when CY is even wiser than him the king. But as CY says the king has shame and can learn to be a good king.

The tender moments between CY and ES.  He feels really responsible for ES’s poisoning and he also worries about his king. Lady Choi asks if he is not returning to his king. He contemplates going to the heavenly world with ES. Now when she asks him to do something he always will answer when in the past he stays silent.  He also likes to ask why.  She asks him to prop her up and he gently does so and swallows hard.  She told him they have a month before the portal opens.  Boy, even though he is anxious to send her back safe and sound, hearing it, his heart must have broken into a thousand pieces. The sadness there is palpable.  When he gets irritable at the way the mambo lady squeezes the herbs he dives in and does it for her and awkwardly helps ES to drink it but in a tender and gentle way. The mambo twins have a field day witnessing this beautiful scene.

I love the way CY shows contempt for the prince and does not treat him as  royalty. When Ki Cheol planned to attack the king, you could see CY’s dilemma on wanting to go to the king but needing the antidote to save ES. Ki Cheol was shocked to see CY with the prince and could not fathom the reason. What is CY going to do next?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

8 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

.Cries DH, for which CY answers with a punch to his face throwing him backwards against the wall, his lip bleeding(YES, YES. YES DUCK HIND DESERVED THE BEATING- )  CY retorts as his eyes start filling up with anger and , fear is evident in DH's eyes as CY grabs his arm, twists him around and pins him face to the wall, with his sword on the back of his neck.

When DH ignore CY’s demand for the antidote, we see the fierce wrath of Daejang murderous expression tighten his grip on his sword and put further pressure on DH’s neck and threaten the next stroke would be to severe his limbs.

What can I say @Thong Thin !!! ... Daebak!   Sorry to cut your post ....  I could feel the tone of CY's rage from your recap above. 

Just started Epi 16 - The way  Choi Young talked down and sneered at the Prince when he saw through him.  That look on the Prince.     

This scene reminded me of TKEM which King LG riding on a horse to save JTE , here Choi Young skillfully whirling, flying and slaying the soldiers to get the Queen.  

For one moment, I felt she was like the FL in this scene, looking at her worried yet relieved expression, and how CY boldly held her hand as he furiously forced through the battle to take the Queen to safety,  :blush: please pardon me, Eun Soo.

I just read yours too @CallieP -  thank you!    :ilike: Waiting for your thoughts on Epi 16  - have to stop at the above scene - having a zoom meet soon.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

finally catching up and on ep 15. random thoughts:

~ sucks to be a government official like daejung. you just screwed over by your boss and everyone trying to play politics

~ the king is very isolated and constantly wary. why on earth would you want to be king? at least he has a loyal queen beside him to give him some comfort. is that why they had so many concubines? as the king was so lonely those days? :sweatingbullets:

~ everyone wants to control eui seon and no one is thinking of her except for daejung who gave a promise to send her home. even the king is selfish and is constantly tempted to use her for his gain. so basically daejung and eui seon are both trapped by higher ups.

~ this drama is actually kind of depressing if you think about it but the rather light humour and tone as well as the resilient characters sort of lifts the dark drudgery... hmmmm......

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thoughts on Episode 16

Choi Young calls the Prince’s bluff on getting the next does of antidote, knowing that the Prince won’t let the High Doctor die. It’s a smart bit of strategy on Young’s part. Still, he lingers anxiously outside the Prince’s house until he gets the signal that Ji Hul has received the antidote from the Prince. He has already sent a message to the King to run away from Ki Chul’s attack on the palace, and he quickly rushes there himself to see how he can help. 

2yqTKok.jpg?1

My favorite scene in this episode is when Young rescues the Queen. It’s a terrific display of lightning-fast swordsmanship as Young leaps up on the wall to come down onto the royal soldiers from behind, twirling and slashing his way through them before they hardly know he’s there. Once he’s in front of the queen, splashed with blood and hair disheveled from fighting, he takes her hand and leads her through yet another group of soldiers, again slicing and dicing their way  to freedom. He looked so gorgeous and gallant; I just loved it! Of course, in real life I’d be cringing away from the violence like the Queen is. Ah, the benefits of Kdrama: all the action without the gore!

X6ajPEN.jpg

I also enjoyed watching Il-shin get his just reward. Prince Hyung is a master of deception; Il-shin has haplessly fallen into his trap and attacked Ki Chul at the Prince's behest, but he’s then quickly executed by the Prince before he can defend himself. The Prince and Ki Chul use the Royal Seal to forge a document giving temporary rulership to the Prince. There’s a nice touch as Prince Hyung brazenly sits himself down on the throne and places a proprietary hand on the throne’s arm rest, clearly intending to stay there.

Spoiler

xKT0F5Q.jpg?1

UIWipzz.jpg?1

eVYNVOR.jpg

Meanwhile the King sets up a remote “palace” in a nearby village and begins to meet his people. When he first comes there and sees the beautiful Queen with a garland of flowers around her head, he’s stunned by his love for her, thinking that she’s all the world to him. Our other beloved couple, Young and Eun-soo, are slowly making their way toward the King’s new residence when they stop to rest. He moves closer and puts a caring arm around her when she says it’s cold, and she comfortably rests on his shoulder, telling him she’s getting used to leaning on him. So sweet!

Spoiler

rP0eBqS.jpg

gApzVGo.jpg?1

az4Hi8S.jpg

aQbnRfG.jpg?1

Eun-soo has been badgering Young to let her go to Ki Chul to retrieve another part of the journal, if it exists. Her dream of finding Young dead is torturing her, and she hopes the journal will provide some insight. As usual, Young is terse and definite: no way will he allow her to do that. But she tells him he’s listening to her more now, even as he denies it, saying that the reason is that she was so talkative and used heaven language that he couldn’t understand. I love how they both increasingly influence each other. In fits and starts they’re becoming real partners in every sense of the word, Young in his terse, macho but caring way and Eun-soo with her more emotional persistence. Eun-soo finally persuades him and they approach Ki Chul for help. For his part, Ki Chul is overjoyed to see her and eager to help.

Spoiler

Efajkpw.jpg?1

YfinaZV.jpg?1

I particularly enjoyed two other scenes in this episode. The first is when they go with Ki Chul to see Prince Hyung. The Prince is dumbfounded to see the three of them together. Young, impatient with Ki Chul’s dialog with the Prince and filled with rage at the Prince for poisoning Eun-soo, bats his guards aside, picks him up, throws him down on his own desk, bites the cork from the small bottle of poison and pours it down the Prince’s throat. Then he stands him up again before kicking him to his knees, coughing and choking. Sometimes Young’s direct, no nonsense action is just what’s needed!

Spoiler

zQRtA9m.jpg?1

aAkxUnX.jpg?1

yAIQPup.jpg?1

Second, Eun-soo reveals her personal struggle in giving her heart to someone in her conversation with Dr Jang. She’s overwhelmed again by the mere existence of the journal as well as what it says, and she professes confusion when the journal keeps referring to “that person.” In the morning, though, I think she realizes that she’s known who  that special person is for some time. He had been steadily making his way into her heart with his honesty, courage and constancy, his eyes often speaking of his yearning for her. The only person she had fooled was herself. Once she sees events unfolding that match the journal, she runs to pick up the pages again, her heart beating wildly while she frantically asks herself what she can do to save Young.

Spoiler

qwaeV3I.jpg?1

w2Bpv10.jpg

fwWOKRx.jpg?1

E92N4Eb.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • Awesome 4

2 hours ago, msdot said:

I particularly enjoyed two other scenes in this episode. First, when they go with Ki Chul to see Prince Hyung. The Prince is dumbfounded to see the three of them together. Young, impatient with Ki Chul’s dialog with the Prince and filled with rage at the Prince for poisoning Eun-soo, bats his guards aside, picks him up, throws him down on his own desk, bites the cork from the small bottle of poison and pours it down the Prince’s throat. Then he stands him up again before kicking him to his knees, coughing and choking. Sometimes Young’s direct, no nonsense action is just what’s needed!

Honestly, I enjoy seeing Daejang bashing the Prince over and over again.   He was so rough and could not care less whether he is of royalty.   Instead, he took consideration of the soldiers and did not harm them with his sword.    Unlike Gi Cheol who went berserk, and the expression on GC's face was absolutely masterpiece!  

Again, thank you @msdot for your excellent summary!  :ilike:

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

1 minute ago, mademoisellesia said:

@Min2206 Angry Daejang is so sexy. And it is satisfying to see Daejang beats up Snake... coz you know, he is so annoying and hurt our imja.

Hi @mademoisellesia how are you?   missing you too, just like missing LMH  .. hehe

Oh yes, can we more of sexy angry Daejang!  I didn't know that Prince DH is called Snake. :D

7cc5602112fa15910237507f1e68813c.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

On 10/6/2020 at 10:14 PM, msdot said:

Good action scenes, I thought, nicely edited in the fight with Deok-man between a stunt double and LMH.

As I said in my post, though not 100% certain, I think it was LMH doing most of the stunts in this scene not a double.  Wire might be used though.  When CY did the kick, it did seem that it was LMH, the stunt double is not that tall and if it is a left leg kick, very likely LMH. He has an awesome kick. Or as you said some parts might be a double if so it is well done. Some of the other scenes the double was obvious. 

In episode 16, when he swoops in to rescue the queen, I believe that is all LMH, using a wire though as he twirls in. :smile:

@msdotAlso great review on episode 16

"Young, impatient with Ki Chul’s dialog with the Prince and filled with rage at the Prince for poisoning Eun-soo, bats his guards aside, picks him up, throws him down on his own desk, bites the cork from the small bottle of poison and pours it down the Prince’s throat. Then he stands him up again before kicking him to his knees, coughing and choking. Sometimes Young’s direct, no nonsense action is just what’s needed!"

Totally love that scene too,  Just no nonsense with CY, straight to the point, and Prince got his just desserts. Just so audacious and satisfying.  Such a great scene. There are so many great scenes in Faith, it is hard to pick just one .

Episode 16

CY realized that the prince would not allow ES to die so he said he was going to the palace to save the king to the utter consternation of the prince and he left, asking the arrow boy to get the potion from the prince and left. He was calling his bluff. However, he waited outside to be sure that the boy got the antidote as he was not a 100% sure he was right about the prince.

@thong thin, CY sword fighting stunt rescuing the queen was him not a stunt man.  That was a swashbuckling scene.

CY rescues the queen, meets the king and gets his men to reunite the king with the queen.  Meanwhile prince up to his shenanigans at the palace and makes himself temporary king.

ES wants to meet Ki Cheol or prince to get an answer to her nightmare about CY dying.

A sweet scene is when they are walking towards the king’s hideout and they are bickering, CY wanting to do everything to protect ES. She is tired and cold; he seats her and puts his arms around her and she reflects that she is getting used to this and that now he always answers her. His reply was funny but real, that he could not understand her heaven language so he chooses not to respond. She teases that he is macho.

They both go to Ki Cheol as she wants to see the rest of her diary. Ki Cheol confesses that the prince has it. At the palace, CY is glaring at the prince and has not patience with Ki Cheol’s slow handling of the matter, he kicks the soldiers in his way, kicks the prince and pushes him down on the table and forcibly pours the same poison that the prince gave ES, down his throat.  Yay! CY is simply stupendous.  

It’s funny how they change alliances all the time, Ki Cheol with prince, then with ES when he finds out she was poisoned and then with the prince again needing to get rid of CY.

The officials threw CY under the bus even when they know he was framed but then asks for his protection when they need to bring the king a new royal seal.  You can see CY’s frustration; his responsibilities never end even though he is technically still a wanted criminal and wants out of the political situation.  Ki Cheol hit on CY’s weakness, his sense of responsibility to his men and people who depend on him. He agrees to protect the ministers.

So, ES through her notebook finally finds out that her dream is a premonition, that CY’s life is in danger. Prince plans to trap and blow up CY and the ministers…

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1