8 hours ago, CallieP said:

\

I like his abs as is. Don't like the hard washboard abs anyway.  Like flat and tight like this, He doesn't need to be shy of this. Just perfect.:mrgreen:

My sentiments exactly, @CallieP! Yes, that is one hot photo of him; he rarely shows the front of  his torso. Thanks for sharing! Here's another one from GB.abWU31r.png

Edited by Lmangla
please don't quote images/gifs. :)
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, msdot said:

But to me the real meat of this episode is the story Choi Young tells the King about what happened when the Red Crescent Moon leaders met with the King. It’s incredibly tragic and a big contributor to Choi Young’s despair, that he and others who had dedicated their lives to protecting the populace, comrades he considered his family, were treated with such cavalier cruelty by the King. He had to watch his lover humiliated and his master, a second father, killed in a fit of drunken pique. Think of the emotions he must have been carrying for the past seven years: survivor’s guilt, shame for not having somehow intervened to protect them, as well as grief at the unjust death of a man he considered a father.

that scene was really difficult to watch. why are all these men just standing there watching a woman -- someone of their own -- get humiliated because it is the king's order?! :onfirex: 

and then, for the captain to order them to protect him? wanted to beat both the captain as well as that king!!! poor min young -- he was brimming with anger, humiliation and wanting to lash out and yet was not allowed to. so much emotion was swirling on his face and who wouldn't cry at such a time.

even after hearing what happened to min young, the king still is forcing min young to stay. hello, what? at least, he had the decency to tell min young to not bow after that tale. ugh. still, am not liking this fella at all.

min young on entering the palace was as cheerful and cheeky as the doctor. excited about all the decorations. will the doctor lady become as jaded as min young? will her heart be broken just as min young in a moment because of the king?

it was kind of funny to see the queen check the temperature of min young. then later, fire girl was flirting fighting with min young. we know how min young ends up with but still, it could have been funny if there were other ship possibilities. hahahahha...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Aleumdaun said:

Sorry fellow faithlings, are we on EPS 3 and 4 still? RL got hectic and I have lost track.

@CallieP @msdot I like him in those pics and in the Heirs ones too. Men with beefed up muscles are not very appealing to me.  (But that might change if Daejang is to sport washboard abs though)

Hi, morning from my side of the globe

Yes. 

On 3/9 we are moving on to Ep 5 and Ep 6.

You still got time here. 

Daejang says Aja fighting! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Episode 5 Comments

Isn’t Eun-soo’s confrontation of Ki Chul delightful in this episode?! I love how she gets right in his face and shakes her finger while cursing at him. He’s stunned to silence by the feisty woman who seems to know the future. To me she’s often come across as a superficial person, almost an airhead, until now. It’s great to see her handle herself with some gravitas while still being great fun to watch.

XSkmfX4.png

And the King. Imagine being only 21 years old and coming to a country you haven’t seen since you were a child. All the advisors that would have supported you have been killed, and you’re faced with taking on a wily enemy bent on your destruction who not only heads a significant pro-Yuan faction but is the brother of the Yuan empress. Yikes! The poor King twists and turns himself inside out to find a way to survive using the Heavenly Doctor to bolster his status and then to keep her alive. When I once watched this on Viki with comments turned on, there were tons of comments about how the King is stupid or not doing well. He’s actually doing much better than anyone has a right to do, but he’s haunted by doubts about himself and others. Who wouldn’t?!

Meanwhile, Choi Young just wants out. We learn the other big reason he’s been dead emotionally. His first love, May Hee, committed suicide because she felt responsible for their master’s death. The series doesn’t dwell on it here, but it still shows us the devastation suicide always wreaks on the loved ones who survive. Already ridden by guilt, shame and grief over his master’s death, her suicide only drives home his own feeling that he was lacking somehow. He failed to protect her in front of the king, and she must not be able to trust him to protect her afterward. As a man driven by duty to protect, how crushing that feeling must have been for him.

Ayv1cjm.png

Eun Soo has already had a few intense encounters with Young, and as he lays there dying, Eun-soo is again pulled into another intense encounter with him, talking to him and then desperately giving him artificial respiration (ah, those lips!) to save his life. There’s nothing superficial about what she does there, and her encounters with Choi Young and Ki Chul reinforce how her life in Goryeo will be very different than the life she was living in modern-day Seoul, with real, intense relationships and decisions that can have immediate life or death consequences.

I loved the metaphor of the frozen lake to show us Choi Young’s inner emotions. As he drifts further away, the ice forming all over him perfectly conveys what is happening to him. And then when he feels her tears drop on his face and he hears her calling him to keep his promise, the ice breaking up on his cheek shows that he has grabbed that slender lifeline to keep his word to her. Wow! Just wow.

CQ59Eh3.png?1

At the end of the episode Choi Young the warrior takes the stage again in an astounding display of fighting prowess at Ki Chul’s home. I love how he twirls his sword to keep his hand and wrist limber between blows, and how he initially tries not to kill Ki Chul’s men, using his shield and the flat of his sword.

[There’s a BTS where LMH is working with the shield for that scene, figuring out how to twirl it as he uses it to batter Ki Chul’s soldiers. In the actual scene, he does a great job with it. For some reason I couldn't insert the video, but here's the link: https://youtu.be/SCdQnPKZzBM ]

Whether it was a good idea to try to rescue Eun Soo at Ki Chul’s house is debatable, but it shows Young’s absolute dedication to keeping his word to protect her until he can return her to heaven. It’s an incredibly romantic scene when he finally approaches her door, wipes blood off his face, hacks open the lock to her room and goes in. What a difference between this encounter and when she came to the barracks – there’s no brush-off here. He not only allows her to take his temperature, he’s actually a little shy when she touches him – so sweet! This contrast between the stoic, killer warrior and the man who’s emotionally vulnerable to her is a theme often repeated in this series, and I just love it.

Spoiler

xVmjttZ.png?1

yeiba38.png?1

• Awesome 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

Yes @Thong Thin ES  did say that word - it showed differently on my end :D  and @msdot thanks so much for your summary of thoughts - interesting!  Now you are waking me up:P

giphy.gif
His Excellency's eyes were so huge! 

giphy-downsized-large.gif
ES spoke in English

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Love how Dr Jang Bin caught hold of ES and comforted her before she collapsed in fear. 

Waiting for more from you guys!  Keep them coming, chingus!  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hey all! I feel like I don't contribute a lot of thoughtful, in-depth content to this watch party :lol: BUT I'm enjoying it nonetheless, here are my random thoughts for episodes 5-6! 

- That female warrior from Choi Young's past, I preferred the idea of him having a platonic or sibling type relationship with her... I'm not really a fan of the whole "ML tragically lost his love," I don't want to be thinking about other women when he's falling for the FL!  

- Okay, when he stopped breathing and was in that cold place slowly fading away, and Eun Soo brought him back with resuscitation and a tearful reminder of his promise to her? Awesome. Great music, very moving scene. 

- The fight scenes aren't the best, and they kind of drag 

- The white-haired flute guy's wig is so distracting and always hanging in his face, I feel like he's clearly hot under there so just... bobby pin, please 

- The scene where he showed her how to ride the horse was very cute 

- Loving the instrumental soundtrack 

- Prince of the Court Gi Cheol is awful but I kinda love him, he's charismatic and such a great "love to hate" villain! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love this touching scene too @kehrite :)

giphy.gif

Reposting from https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/faith-translations/
Vol 2 excerpts – Part 3

Eun Soo’s point-of-view:

I looked at him – his eyes were closed, surrounded by his long eyelashes.

Please open your eyes. I’m begging you. I miss those dark, deep eyes. Those eyes that never once wavered and always steadily held my gaze.

I realised there was a small scar on his forehead. One would have missed it from far away. I touched the scar with my hand and traced it. And my heart dropped. He felt too cold.

Hey you. Don’t be like this. I said to him to my heart. Don’t leave me here alone. You kidnapping me… you preventing my return to my world…I can forget all about that. But if you leave me here alone, I won’t forgive you. Can you hear me?

His head rolled to one side. And I knew. His heart had stopped beating.

Eun Soo starts to perform CPR and mouth-mouth resuscitation on him. When Jang Bin tries to stop her after it looks as if Choi Young is beyond rescue, Eun Soo grabs hold of Choi Young’s and says he promised he will protect her. One of her tears drops on his cheek…

Choi Young’s point-of-view:

That teardrop fell towards the lake. But halfway, it was suspended in space. I was worried and wanted to quickly go to the other side, but suddenly I heard a voice.

“You said you would protect me.”

That voice was like an echo – repeating itself again and again around me. The air start spinning into a wind. The wind got frenzier, but then it stopped. And the teardrop fell into the lake. I could hear that clear voice. The ice started to crack.

You said to protect you?

I started to remember and lifted my head.

Eun Soo’s point-of-view:
I knew before anyone else that he had returned. Choi Young’s chest lifted. My hands stopped moving and I turned to look at his face. Jang Bin quickly checked his pulse. He turned to look at me.

“His breath has returned.”

I carefully checked his vital signs. His face was slowly regaining colour.

Jang Bin’s point-of-view:

I saw the heavenly doctor touch Choi Young’s lips. Even though she had risen up, her eyes never left Choi Young’s face.  A touched smile flashed across her pale face.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, msdot said:

[Apologies for posting this a few hours early - I think Wednesdays are our weekly new episodes start time -  I was working on inserting images and somehow posted it by mistake. I  used to be able to delete a post but don't see that option now.]

Episode 5 Comments

Isn’t Eun-soo’s confrontation of Ki Chul delightful in this episode?! I love how she gets right in his face and shakes her finger while cursing at him. He’s stunned to silence by the feisty woman who seems to know the future. To me she’s often come across as a superficial person, almost an airhead, until now. It’s great to see her handle herself with some gravitas while still being great fun to watch.

And the King. Imagine being only 21 years old and coming to a country you haven’t seen since you were a child. All the advisors that would have supported you have been killed, and you’re faced with taking on a wily enemy bent on your destruction who not only heads a significant pro-Yuan faction but is the brother of the Yuan empress. Yikes! The poor King twists and turns himself inside out to find a way to survive using the Heavenly Doctor to bolster his status and then to keep her alive. When I once watched this on Viki with comments turned on, there were tons of comments about how the King is stupid or not doing well. He’s actually doing much better than anyone has a right to do, but he’s haunted by doubts about himself and others. Who wouldn’t?!

Meanwhile, Choi Young just wants out. We learn the other big reason he’s been dead emotionally. His first love, May Hee, committed suicide because she felt responsible for their master’s death. The series doesn’t dwell on it here, but it still shows us the devastation suicide always wreaks on the loved ones who survive. Already ridden by guilt, shame and grief over his master’s death, her suicide only drives home his own feeling that he was lacking somehow. He failed to protect her in front of the king, and she must not be able to trust him to protect her afterward. As a man driven by duty to protect, how crushing that feeling must have been for him.

Eun Soo has already had a few intense encounters with Young, and as he lays there dying, Eun-soo is again pulled into another intense encounter with him, talking to him and then desperately giving him artificial respiration (ah, those lips!) to save his life. There’s nothing superficial about what she does there, and her encounters with Choi Young and Ki Chul reinforce how her life in Goryeo will be very different than the life she was living in modern-day Seoul, with real, intense relationships and decisions that can have immediate life or death consequences.

I loved the metaphor of the frozen lake to show us Choi Young’s inner emotions. As he drifts further away, the ice forming all over him perfectly conveys what is happening to him. And then when he feels her tears drop on his face and he hears her calling him to keep his promise, the ice breaking up on his cheek shows that he has grabbed that slender lifeline to keep his word to her. Wow! Just wow.

At the end of the episode Choi Young the warrior takes the stage again in an astounding display of fighting prowess at Ki Chul’s home. I love how he twirls his sword to keep his hand and wrist limber between blows, and how he initially tries not to kill Ki Chul’s men, using his shield and the flat of his sword.

[There’s a BTS where LMH is working with the shield for that scene, figuring out how to twirl it as he uses it to batter Ki Chul’s soldiers. In the actual scene, he does a great job with it. For some reason I couldn't insert the video, but here's the link: https://youtu.be/SCdQnPKZzBM ]

Whether it was a good idea to try to rescue Eun Soo at Ki Chul’s house is debatable, but it shows Young’s absolute dedication to keeping his word to protect her until he can return her to heaven. It’s an incredibly romantic scene when he finally approaches her door, wipes blood off his face, hacks open the lock to her room and goes in. What a difference between this encounter and when she came to the barracks – there’s no brush-off here. He not only allows her to take his temperature, he’s actually a little shy when she touches him – so sweet!

ES interaction with Ki Chul is hilarious.  I think the king is very mature and a deep thinker for his age and he knows and accepts his vulnerabilities and looking to be stronger.

Thank you for the BTS.  I had never seen this particular one even though I had seen the Japanese DVD. That shield is pretty heavy (did not realize it was heavy. It looked light)  and not easy to twirl around or fight with. Poor LMH had some difficulties handling it but he managed it and it seemed so effortless in the drama. He hurt himself several times and he did look tired in the BTS.  It is the exertion in the heat in thick clothing, can't blame him for looking tired. He was awesome with the shield.

This contrast between the stoic, killer warrior and the man who’s emotionally vulnerable to her is a theme often repeated in this series, and I just love it.  Love this statement of yours.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Episode 5

Love Eun Soo smile, so pretty :heart:

cIv9i2tzTVHYmaHq63jzuSR-yisBNYWCjh7Jbbii

I like the gangster Eun Soo who is super cool when confronting Gi Chul, I could not stop laughing at the F..K, go to hell, really cute how she was gangstering her away. 

She couldn’t stand when Gi Chul asked for Choi Young and she break her silence.

She was afraid the whole time and does not give a S**t about Gi Chul saying, all she wanted  was to run away every time she had a chance.

Hahaha poor lady, she tried to be stronger to get out of that situation and when she came out she was totally down and nice catch from Dr Jang Bin !

Spoiler

M_Pzea01axWf49ac5JVajs8Ti1_QdOLqvFVn582n

d4MnFP8fQep6u1CvyWN3w4jY9xrtRcLZyYSkR508

In the other snowy world, Choi Young was covered in ice and frozen.

Choi Young did die for a moment cos he has given up hope to live.

Eun Soo tried to save him by giving CPR !

Dr Jang came to room and saw Eun Soo and he freaked out.

Eun Soo in tears...telling Choi Young "  you said if I stay by your side…you will protect me.. that is why I came all the way here “

The CPR felt so real !

tKdFwdNweAxYf36Nx6Hfw072dBEQBeeE70p6mpQo

Eun Soo did not give up hope and continue to save Choi Young and was crying while she was doing CPR and pumping his chest.

Eun Soo warmth tears gave life to cold dead Choi Young.

Finally, a crack appeared on Choi Young frozen face in the snowy world.

He came back to life like a ray of light..

When Choi Young woke up and found out that Eun Soo has been taken away by force, he immediately ride off to save her

Spoiler

4aXRlBWlmZFXusjUa86sGAS716FKlOm4U_DRDfKs

Spoiler

xUyHGzccn5dRRpm3Hh6jvLt1X--c4oCRb8HcT_6O

Choi Young uses his power and chi energy to fight back..

uOLAwtB5MfJnPFLxxEw0R7OQTIJQtg2L7Ip9XRop

-8qCuraKcOrBErA6WhNQStoUb8hVpUNq_m46ALUY

Before opening the lock to the room where Eun Soo was held captive, he didn't forget to wipe his blood off his neck and mouth first because he knew Eun Soo would probably worry lots if she sees him in blood again.

MYjjfTQAA64zNGr54ciaOC84DnJoPKy8CLsGJ22z

When they finally met, Eun Soo was so happy to see Choi Young alive and kicking....

ooooh swooon!!!

aigooooo.. this time she wanted to check his temperature and touch his face, he did not push her away !

The moment Choi Young says he like the woman behind him,  OMG ! is Choi Young finally open his heart to Eun Soo ?  ...is it a LOVE CONFESSION !!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

@Thong Thin  Morning to you too and thanks for the tea-break gifs!  Lovely!

@msdot @CallieP @Thong Thin @kehrite @Lmangla  Please do share your thoughts on Epi 6.   Looking forward to read your comments.  I do go back to read your lines again, haha and then playback those scenes.  So warm-y.

I like how Dae Man was smiling quietly at the back, watching ES teasing our Daejang :D  The walk at the forest scene was  a pretty long one.   I find ES a cheery and positive person, like that spirit in her, despite all the anxiety and unknown elements ahead, being in a foreign land / era.   

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Spoiler

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

@Lmangla  Please do share your thoughts on Epi 6. 

will post after watching; am watching faith more during the weekend. :)

48 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

I just wanna say... im just busybody to see why this thread has 4568 pages... :lol:

I havent watched the drama...:phew:

isn't it amazing? many of the earlier dramas were super popular then and had LOTS of pages! it sounds like the original group who watched were a fun lively bunch and hence there was lots of laughter! :D

we are re-watching the drama together --- so if you are interested, check it out. we are on ep 5 & 6 for this week...

• Like 2
  • Love 3