12 hours ago, Aleumdaun said:

CY knows and understands honor. He puts his life on his promises. So going against his promise to the Doc must have hurt him to the core. He must have been very disappointed with the king because after all the talk about the king wanting to hear his true feelings - he decides to stop the Doc from leaving - In spite of CY demanding the King to act above the likes of himself and Il Shin. But the King doesn't know who to trust yet. He is still struggling to find his footing.

Sorry to cut your post @Aleumdaunagreed on your point regarding CY.

CY is a General who is strong around his wooldalchi and to the King,  a man of principle, 

stands by his words, holds lots of responsibilities and who carries them all.

It hurts him deep inside when the king dishonor his word to let Eun Soo leave.

184A32395044CFD7375B07

cr to owner

On the supporting character that stands out would be;

1) Jang Bin - the Royal physician who is always cool & calm.

Eun Soo would be an asset to him when working together

in hospital Gorgyeo.

2) The King - he is a young troubled king victimised by Political system. He pushed away his Queen  who is intelligent woman who would support him with all her might, if given the chance.

He tried to convey to Choi Young how much he trusted him, but he always mislaid that trust  through his actions.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 3

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

oooh, some great thoughts from @Aleumdaun @Min2206 @JoannaID  in regards to promises and honour. made me think quite a bit about the question I posted. hahahah... .. so like @Min2206 noted, it feels like men of such code and honour belong to a different era. if they exist now, would we call them foolish? would we still swoon? as @Aleumdaun noted, it would hurt if you were like choi young and believed in promises but were not able to keep them.... and as @JoannaID noted, the larger context often needs to be considered in a realistic setting. much as I dislike the minister for thinking about survival, that is the way of the world isn't it? and in today's context, do we still value promises? honour?

so while I love choi young's code and wish more would see it that way and while I agree with the king that the larger context needs to be considered, it feels like the way of the world is really the minister's view -- survival above all else. :wacko: am I feeling too cynical this morning? sigh. isn't it good to watch optimistic dramas where we can have characters like min young who show us that it is okay to promise and to believe in honour?

Yes it is @Lmangla .  That explains why we are so drawn to the drama.  CY's words and actions, his promise to protect and return ES to her world, his undoubted commitment and high regard to the King and the country, and how he juggled his emotions in managing these conflicts.

I like to add that in our present realistic setting, the practice of keeping our words still exists, be it personal  or professional.   We have humans who still keep to their words.   We see and believe in them because their actions carrying out the words might be louder, depending on the context of situation.  We regard them as responsible, reliable, trustworthy = faithful? .. something we hope and look forward to.    However, we have also learnt not to trust humans easily, either from instinct or been in the situations, reasons many mainly due to greed and temptations.

So back to this romance story, CY's code of conduct is something we admire, love to hold and treasure.  Seeing how Imja is protected and loved (with his life).   Add she too, with  her life, in believing he will honour it.  (remember she is now in the past and that's scary - oh well, she got Daejang) .. :tounge_wink:.  

giphy.gif
Where are you guys?

• Love 2
  • Wiggle 2

I read through the questions and thought about it. I chose CY, not because I am biased, but because

1. Jo Il Shin - If everyone was to break their promises then there's no trust.

2. King - I actually agree that at some instances, we need people who can see the bigger picture. However, when it comes to country, doesn't the citizens make the country? There is no country when there's no citizens.

3. CY - I like a man who can keep his word. It means I can always depend on him & there is "trust". It doesn't necessarily means he can't break a promise, it is how the promise is broken and the sincerity he showed that is more important. What LMH did well here, and convincingly, was when he made the promise to imja you know he was being serious and sincere. And when he questioned who dishonour him, you can see or feel him feeling insulted.

Q2...

I had to choose Motor Mouth coz who can ignore him when he is so loud and intrusive on my screen LOL.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 2

I enjoyed reading everyone's take on the poll questions. For me, I checked the "It depends" box on the promise. I didn't like the King ignoring CY's pledge, but leaders always have to balance what's good for the country versus what's good for an individual or group. He made a decision that keeping her would help him rule the kingdom, and one of his goals is to separate Goryeo from Yuan, a brutal overlord that has kept the country destitute by its demand for tribute and captives.

For a secondary character I chose the King, who is one of the more complex characters in the series in addition to Ki-chul (he would have been my 2nd choice.) The King is actually very smart, but unsure of himself because of his years of captivity. As the series proceeds we'll see him make some very courageous decisions.

• Awesome 3
  • Wiggle 1

Episode 3 Comments

For those of us that like to see Choi Young suffering, we have plenty of that in this episode. He looks so delicious in his black silk underclothes as he struggles to get up after surgery. Don’t you just want to hold him and pet him all over, telling him he’ll feel better soon? And he does look thinner and more vulnerable, hunched over in pain, just like a man who’s had a serious injury. In that scene I was amused by how the different personalities of the Imja couple are expressed in Eun-soo’s high emotion as she brandishes a scalpel, and his logical, ironic retort, asking her if she’s going to keep stabbing and then healing him. 

As somebody earlier noted, CY called Eun-soo “Imja” in the previous episode. Here he uses the term at least twice when he explains to her why they need to leave the inn. I did a little more research online about the word, “Imja.” One person commented that Song Ji-na said she liked to play with words, and I think this is one of them. Choi Young appears to use it as a respectful “Lady” or “Miss” in the beginning of the series and gradually uses it more tenderly as the series proceeds. I also had to laugh at the definitions of the word in Viki’s “Learning Mode” [A very cool feature if you’re interested in the Korean language]. Their definition of “Imja” was: “water rat, owner, darling.” I think we can safely assume he wasn’t intending that first definition, although he might have been tempted a time or two when she was being so stubborn about leaving. 

On a more serious note, I was struck by the depth of Choi Young’s emotional exhaustion in his petition to the King. You can see it in his face. His despair is being increasingly revealed to us-- that’s his real vulnerability. It’s so sad, and that theme runs through the first several episodes of the series. Song Ji-na wrote in her novel* that, while he’s trying to heal himself with his inner power, he has a vision of his father and speaks to him, telling him how tired he is, that he’s completed his duties except for returning the Doctor, and after that he can die. And I feel for Gongmin; the only man he trusts pleads with him to leave his service. 

We’re also introduced to the utterly ruthless pledged siblings of Ki Chul, Flute Guy and Fire Lady, as they dispense with minions who know too much. I’ve often wondered how Ki Chul and his crew ever managed to keep staff, since they regularly killed them or let them be killed. Honestly, who would want to work for these people?! I have to say, though, that Hwa-su-in, the Fire Lady, is fun to watch in a gruesome sort of way, with her I’m-smiling-while-I-kill-you approach to employee performance management.

In contrast to the evil pair, we see the beginning of the relationship between another pair that complement our Imja couple: the King and Queen. It’s very sweet, but we discover the seeds of their estrangement when Gongmin mistakes her for a Goryeo captive, and she doesn’t correct him. To my mind that plot point is a bit far-fetched, but I think most dramas in the world would be shortened by 75% if mistaken assumptions were corrected as soon as they were made.

Let’s go back to Choi Young; he’s such a terrific character! In Episode 1 we would have to conclude that, like an elite warrior in any century, he is very smart and able to keep a cool head, staying focused on his mission in the midst of a confusing and difficult situation. We see his intelligence again in this episode. He’s smart to play dumb, asking the suspect in a mass murder for his advice in order to gauge his reaction and see what he does with the information. And even while so ill he can hardly focus his eyes, he’s a quick study, changing tactics and suggesting to Ki Chul that they meet privately when he refuses to bend a knee to the King’s authority.

Finally, there’s my favorite scene in this episode, the confrontation between our Imja couple in the Woodalchi barracks. Choi Young’s earlier embarrassment at seeing her bare leg and the Woodalchis’ consternation at seeing her with her pant legs cut off illustrate the conservative nature of that time (Although watching it, I was reminded of present-day Lee Gon not looking at Tae Eul’s bare shoulder in TKEM because he was so aroused). 

Eun-soo tries to play it cool and doctorly to get Choi Young to let her examine his wound. But he irritably brushes her aside. Her frustration, anger and guilt quickly get the better of her, and she throws her medical supplies at him while shouting (and crying) about how she’s been treated. In return he backs her up against a wooden post for a close-in tete-a-tete after first sending his men out of the room with a long stare. I like how the Woodalchi obey him, leaving without a word said. There was something else I liked in Song Ji-na’s novel. She wrote that he sent his men out of the room because they had seen something they shouldn’t have (her bare legs). So his confrontation of her includes protecting her modesty even while he’s angry at her. I held my breath at the close-up of his face, his eyes glaring intently at her from just inches away, while keeping her confined with his arms on either side of her. He’s gotten physically very close to or touched her several times now; it’s no accident. He’s already involved with her, and that involvement is quite a bit more than his oath to send her back, whether or not he’s admitting it to himself. At the end he finally accepts a little help from her, taken by surprise and touched by her quiet plea not to die.

I love LMH in this role. He just disappears into it. Sigh.

*You can read an English translation of excerpts from Song Ji-na’s novel at: https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/faith-translations. Thank you, thank you, Breathless Survival – you’re terrific!

!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 4

General Choi Young checking in for Ep 03.

Zt4rdoCGguN8DNs5c2bukyEXxKVEvGNsMYRUImyk

My favourite scenes......

Spoiler

Daejang decided to peep at the window upon hearing Eun Soo voice.

Peeping Tom General Choi Young, is scandalous !

fdiiLT_3fBoQKXtWV2R1GFvkfnCefati9a5JFzbk

How unfortunate, is only a leg that he  was looking at.

M3wHoIG3Kb4WTB_M_f92M1WKYHOuuaf36kdzBbmv

Next scene sees Eun Soo walks in to the Wooldalchi barracks looking for Choi Young .

Spoiler

Nx7y3q-MSu3EG4gatbsisOKSEtZ7ZI_WkCdJEjl_

Kim Hee Sun legs looks gorgeous,  all the  Wooldalchi nearly have

a heart attack , LOL

ci3-kA4dZytdd8XnDf6nCUgMW_AoG8elIvcfQDOk

Frustrated with anger, Choi Young pin Eun Soo to a beam and glare at her with eagle eyes

lfX_xpOS0HX99pNBDiNoT4GelF9nhbf7laypX-Cx

CY : That mouth of yours, try to say I die from a disease

ES : What did you said

CY : I will shut those lips of yours

Spoiler

5Unmd-HPMx8fsiGH0Mss72-YCgePwMhVAjM7S3HzstJ9mGeTwvwmLWLUhCBRNKNoQ6GZgbRc835JGJDdgFbRUWb-CJNTYTkRME473-xaTNjIIQ5UdpaXRuKcRh0aT7sgpcTeeg-Pwa4PO8TjkCOIwBrpWRTgn3ooVLcmDJaqLieAzduuH5QfKSf09zvfZeCT_ZuMU9-7BIUTzuM2_qqSqvF9JV5_Zi2LnAssXSMHWEBvU7Qa4WGFIIjiZ_tmgqGZdDqo9RN6DZiuTtc4hY5dqWKb7cgB00c8BMII-y3SMEBwytnnZe26c4001ZuvZS2q-MZIoAsipsqeRXXstIHIfGrkS46DL-5_YO1yBawBhTV6EcEctU0lO8vRmHSDge2OgoiWp2yzBBO1E66iy85vjS0aJtKN112P19PUbNmBqeC7GARKB1LMW-KUD8GwBtomOQi7DwQUlrLD8CYasULlvLNUjbZXTCr1Z417pUAF4p5E_OS_zVNH4_yqtI1EROIEzdoZpJ_1Z-xabuo8kamrRFRjeWDbm7EFmURtXfVa6pQ1aRtIt8FQgZStZVCXOlmojKmGP8dfCZG4ReDA0CtJC1F1BRa0gA4p8ayIPXMoHUhSachiiapdYs5cpLxEONMG9NUXHqJXgLGsmNg-PAafyFC2qNo0Cz8JwuPQx85_vWx0rGhs-F3e6dLHdOct=w245-h156-no?authuser=1

Choi Young : What ?

Eun Soo : Don't die !

aBi05Hk1_jJ5XbtVRDEVE7DNQYpXQgn3LkbmQRTG

IbYljbAYBkcwTfMdx17guv35--FfW79fEwXFKUR-

Choi Young gives up to Eun Soo pleads  and accepted

the bottle of aspirin

Choi Young who is still nursing his wound fell to his knees and

grimace in pain.

RCoNNnM-tpepqtaV_yAPpxwiUzE-BACfE_ogUxX7

Episode 3 is a little slow with no action scenes, but I could feel the chemistry between our OTP and there is some skinship.
I love it that our General's heart is beginning to flutter.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 3

2 hours ago, msdot said:

Episode 3 Comments

Finally, there’s my favorite scene in this episode, the confrontation between our Imja couple in the Woodalchi barracks. ...

I like how the Woodalchi obey him, leaving without a word said. There was something else I liked in Song Ji-na’s novel. She wrote that he sent his men out of the room because they had seen something they shouldn’t have (her bare legs). So his confrontation of her includes protecting her modesty even while he’s angry at her. I held my breath at the close-up of his face, his eyes glaring intently at her from just inches away, while keeping her confined with his arms on either side of her. He’s gotten physically very close to or touched her several times now; it’s no accident. He’s already involved with her, and that involvement is quite a bit more than his oath to send her back, whether or not he’s admitting it to himself. At the end he finally accepts a little help from her, taken by surprise and touched by her quiet plea not to die.

I love LMH in this role. He just disappears into it. Sigh.

@msdot  Awww,  I love how your words touched my heart this morning but my soul was not able to come here because of my boss (though my mind lingered on your comments - the above fav part).  Sweet of @Thong Thin to put those wonderful gifs up .. the parts on ES's bare legs all the way to the part " I will shut those lips of yours" .. Wooot!

Spoiler

giphy-downsized-large.gif

King GM's expression of relief and joy when Court Lady Choi came to greet him when all retainers were not present upon his arrival

And CY smiled meekly at his aunt, with ES looking at him attentively wondering why he was so "well-behaved"

Some of my fav parts - the drama supposed to be heavy but somehow you find some delightful yet pleasurable bits to smile. For Daejang and his charges, they probably wondered why ES was so bold but to us, we understand what she was trying to say and help. 

giphy.gif
Let's go.

giphy.gif

You must not eat anything until you fart.

giphy.gif
That force when he spins her around!

In this Epi 03,  it is obvious Daejang has feelings for her no matter how or what.  You can feel attracted to someone instantly, visually or mannerism, but falling for someone takes an extra mile.  LMH is so good here - how he portrayed CY in struggling with his emotions between his mind and heart.  
rt,:D

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

42 minutes ago, H0ney said:

This ep also introduced us a beautiful OST from Faith kdrama (isn't this Gong Min and No Guk song?) that I am sure our faith chingus had posted it in here hundred times. It's  a beautiful pop rock song from One Piece :heart:

One of the best OST together with Carry On.  The soulful melody goes deeply to my heart. 

@H0ney Epi 03 indeed makes our hearts go fluttering no matter how many times we replay, be it the CY-ES pair, CY and King Gong Min (Daejang, you are the ONE),  King Gong Min and Queen No Guk ( was teary and shocked upon hearing his hatred on the Yuan Princess, not knowing it's her),  CY and Dae Man (who was observing his Daejang falling ill and in love as well), CY meeting with red lady Hwa Su In (the smokey fight) , ES with Dr Jang Bin (how she performed the surgery on CY and she cuddled closely in fear - the smokey bombs) and the last trailer , CY and Queen (commanding him not to die).

giphy.gif
Daejang drilled on despite the pain

... you have to be alive so that I can protect you - is it his way of reminding himself that he should live too?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm really wanting to know more about how the energy powers work! I assume they just exist as an accepted and normal part of their universe but I want details, like how what percentage of people have this ability? Why does it not exist in this drama's modern world? Are you born with it, or develop it as you age, can anyone do it with training or only some people, etc.

Other random thoughts:

-Not to be gross but I love it when he man-handles her. I love me a good wall shove/kabedon...!

-I'm not a fan of the fire lady, she seems like such a cliché femme fatale 

-I love a handsome man in pain, struggling to stoically endure but still suffering... sounds cruel of me but I'm sure you understand :lol:

-I assume this male doctor is going to be the second lead, poor guy was second lead in Secret Garden too 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Happy news for the King.  :)

ce400c128d1445508449d6f173971861.jpeg?s=

Ryu Deok Hwan Shares Handwritten Letter Announcing Plans To Marry Girlfriend Of 7 Years

Aug 26, 2020

by J. Lim

Ryu Deok Hwan has announced that he will be tying the knot with his non-celebrity girlfriend of seven years!

On August 26, the actor took to his fan café to share a handwritten letter with fans about his plans.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1421699wpp/ryu-deok-hwan-shares-handwritten-letter-announcing-plans-to-marry-girlfriend-of-7-years

• Like 4
  • Awesome 3

5 hours ago, 1ouise said:

Happy news for the King.  :)

Ryu Deok Hwan Shares Handwritten Letter Announcing Plans To Marry Girlfriend Of 7 Years

Wishing our King Gong Min lots of love and happiness!    7 years is long !   Just read his letter to the fans - and he wrote it with trembling heart .. oh my

Thanks @1ouise for sharing the good news!

giphy.gif

Sorry Mr Minister -- Daejang is the ONE

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Breathless Survival’s translation of the writer’s story says that from the moment CY saw ES in Seoul he was attracted to her:  “That smell!”  Her red hair.  Eyes. He makes connections with important moments through eye contact according  to  the  writer.  While CY is still kind of wooden from young Mae Wa's (sp?) death and a life of killing, CY’s been waking up in moments, slight smile as he carries ES in Ep 2 and now watching her through the lattice work and getting a kick out of her reactions to the rice cake and no water as ES coughs and cries out for “water.” Such a great scene of CY enjoying watching ES and then shocked and turning away when she rolls her pants leg up, good modest man that he is.

The author says CY knew exactly what his men were thinking in the short pants scene at Woo Dal Chi hdqtrs.  I’d imagine that contributed to CY’s strong reaction to shut the whole thing down quickly.  And CY is at sea with a woman who behaves like ES.  Something from another world indeed.  This is the wonderful scene where the aspirin shows up and it will appear again.  I appreciate the creative team for this type of thing.  The writer says that CY really wanted to see ES’ eyes then, but she was keeping her head down when she said, “Don't die.”

One of the things that runs through most of the drama is their clash due to both being in positions of authority in their worlds,  used to being the number one person who tells others what the situation is and what needs to be done.   So, of course ES questions CY constantly, wanting an explanation, the reason, for everything CY wants to do. 

I enjoy little touches that lighten things up:

·       ES’ sing-song list of kings and can't remember all so there’s a humming part, too.

·       ES’s shock discovering who the king and queen are and more so who this kidnapping “psycho” is.  Love how ES sweetly calls CY “psycho” at times.

·       ES sort of full of herself, telling CY with a bit of swagger “I have a good backer” after visiting the king holding her Guryeo celadon and that CY “is ONLY a captain.”

·       Doek the herbalist with the sack, ready to put ES in it and the menacing faces she makes at ES.

Looking forward to one of my favorite eps 5!  Ep 4 leaves us in the middle of the court scene with ES and Gi Cheol about to get into it.  Yay...

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

18 hours ago, kehrite said:

Other random thoughts:

-Not to be gross but I love it when he man-handles her. I love me a good wall shove/kabedon...!

-I'm not a fan of the fire lady, she seems like such a cliché femme fatale 

-I love a handsome man in pain, struggling to stoically endure but still suffering... sounds cruel of me but I'm sure you understand :lol:

-I assume this male doctor is going to be the second lead, poor guy was second lead in Secret Garden too 

I can't tell you whether there how the energy powers work in human, whether there it exists or not.  Was told that there is a certain element of chi in our body but to what level, no clue either.   But I do know there is power in the mind @kehrite

Chingu, sorry to cut your post.    I have to google what man-handles actually is.   I like that word and I like how Daejang does it on ES.  

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Daejang's gaze can either seize or freeze you, be it to his lady, the King, soldiers or enemies.  He has such a commanding presence! 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

2 hours ago, Min2206 said:

I can't tell you whether there how the energy powers work in human, whether there it exists or not.  Was told that there is a certain element of chi in our body but to what level, no clue either.   But I do know there is power in the mind @kehrite

Chingu, sorry to cut your post.    I have to google what man-handles actually is.   I like that word and I like how Daejang does it on ES.  

Daejang's gaze can either seize or freeze you, be it to his lady, the King, soldiers or enemies.  He has such a commanding presence! 

@Min2206 @kehrite I know, manhandling somehow shouldn't be praised, but because it is Daejang and because ES was the one who initiated by throwing things at him, let us say all is fair and do it.. OMO, that scene is really hot. His intensity & the hot back.. and I also likes the scene where he literally keeps pushing her out of the new quarters with his hands on her back. Its like CY wants to touch and feel ES and use every opportunity for that. 

CY gives me gutter thoughts early in the morning LOL.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:14 AM, kdyes said:

@vangsweetie637 where can I find the first anatomy lessons blog?  Sounds not to be missed, and looking forward to your continuation. Thanks!

@Aleumdaun there r so many great sageuks. In dramas, some classics are Chuno (Slave Hunters), Damo, Princess Man.  Empress Ki is great but 50 eps. Sure other Soompiers can suggest others. Lots to enjoy!

Not sure who started the current poll for side characters:  will it evolve?  My absolute fave are the MB siblings. Thanks for clarifying.

Thank you @kdyes. I will start with the ones you have suggested. I don't mind the length of the drama, as long as it has a good story and acting.

• Love 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

12 minutes ago, Aleumdaun said:

@Min2206 @kehrite I know, manhandling somehow shouldn't be praised, but because it is Daejang and because ES was the one who initiated by throwing things at him, let us say all is fair and do it.. OMO, that scene is really hot. His intensity & the hot back.. and I also likes the scene where he literally keeps pushing her out of the new quarters with his hands on her back. Its like CY wants to touch and feel ES and use every opportunity for that. 

Omo @Aleumdaun which part was that..  CY literally keeps pushing her?  :P I wanna see again.  

• Where's My Oppa? 1

30 minutes ago, Aleumdaun said:

@Min2206 Here you go, it is in ep 4.

Ahhh Thanks @Aleumdaun  I thought of this scene too.     I was laughing earlier when ES was shocked to find out that it was that famous General CY whom she stabbed and kidnapped her as well.   I am now in Epi 4.   Just finished the part showing how young and playful CY was when he was with the Head of Jeo Gol Dae, together with his then lady in the room.  Also the sad part which the Head sacrificed himself to protect the lady and the team, so angry with that King. 

giphy.gif
Wanna share this edited cut - some of you might have seen the full BTS clip from LOTBS.

Lee Min Ho literally fills the whole bed!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Ahhh Thanks @Aleumdaun  I thought of this scene too.     I was laughing earlier when ES was shocked to find out that it was that famous General CY whom she stabbed and kidnapped her as well.   I am now in Epi 4.   Just finished the part showing how young and playful CY was when he was with the Head of Jeo Gol Dae, together with his then lady in the room.  Also the sad part which the Head sacrificed himself to protect the lady and the team, so angry with that King. 

Wanna share this edited cut - some of you might have seen the full BTS clip from LOTBS.

Lee Min Ho literally fill the whole bed!

That scene with the mad king is really hard to watch. I liked CY's teacher, his performance was so good. and CY with tearms brimming and termbling in anger, wow!

LMH literally fills the whole bed and yet his feet are still out of the bed. :Megalol:

• LOL 2