12 hours ago, msdot said:

I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but I wrote a short story that takes place some years after Faith. It’s titled, “Daejang’s Triumphant Homecoming,” and it’s also on Archive of our Own. Here’s the link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/25692880

Note: Explicit Sexual Content

@msdot  Only one page?    weiiiiiii

• Like 3

Episode 18

Spoiler

My post on Ep 18 will only focus on CY-ES, discard those boring political talks.

Scene opens with a slight rewind of the last kiss scene.

Fd8Nr-PYglHcIMs0Fp414j4Y45dzgywiBe7SU_ed

He pulls her gently toward him, leaning in for a kiss to the shock and utter consternation of those around them especially DH. Even LC was stunned. 

CY kisses ES deeply and thoroughly,ES's eyes registers her shock, and she finally slowly closes them, enjoying the kiss. GC watches in stunned silence.

CY slowly pulls away, his eyes never leave ES's face. She just looks back, speechless and still breathless from the passionate kiss !.

CY turns to DH who is standing beside ES and tells him calmly that now this marriage is no longer possible. DH angrily orders CY arrested for committing a crime against a woman of the royal family.

CY is unperturbed, he just turns calmly to look at ES with a trace of a smile on his face. ES looks back at him, looking almost dreamy in her daze.
She almost cannot stop staring adoringly at him as he turns and walks towards his captors, past his faithful Wudalchi, ES's eyes never leaving him.
DH leaves in a huff, and GC turns to stare at ES. ES is still staring after CY, her face full of emotion.  She is almost wistful, smiling slightly as unshed tears glisten. He walks toward his captors, and then turns and pauses, looking at her for a brief moment before turning back.

CY rushes right to where ES is waiting for him. She gets up from the chair, and he immediately grabs her into a hug.  It's a long hug, and CY is still breathless, perhaps also from emotion, as we see his eyes glistening as he hugs her tighter. He finally releases her to look at her, searching her face as he asks if she is alright. She just nods.

CY is getting increasingly agitated as he asks her how DH releases her, imagining what other deal she has made with DH. And ES pouts and nods adorably. CY still can't believe it, that DH would release her just because she cried. ES's smile gets wider and wider.

CY looks uncomfortable almost at wits end saying "this day has passed in much turmoil for me, in worrying for you."

ES knows he has to leave, because the King is arriving and he needs to be there to receive the King. ES tells him to go and he nods and she smiles saying that she just wanted to see him, as CY have his adorable tiny smile, saying Yes. 

CY pauses and turns back, and she smiles at him brightly. As soon as he's gone, her smile is gone and replaced by a worried look.

Spoiler

outa5F3EcS_ddsMicAkSOn2Y8CysC7npKIbcSdXb

After the death of JS, I like how CY just show up in front of ES. Just looking at her was enough for him, like she was his 'home' and the only person he can find comfort in.

She looks up from her writing and says carefully that she had heard about the Wudalchi deaths. Her words have immediate effect on CY's expression which becomes grim. She asks him, "Your heart has been in such torment, you haven't been able to eat and needed to be alone just now, correct?"
He smiles his lopsided smile for a brief moment, but does not look at her. He is still far away, thinking of his boys. ES holds up sheets of paper with Hangul written on them for him to see.

She looked for a brief moment like she wants to say something, but changed her mind and looked down instead. He turns and leaves, and then she looks up, her lips trembling with emotion. She looks down at the sheets of paper and a solitary tear drops on it.

Spoiler

R_2KAI0ezkAW3Kisu6sw1yxg8D3j47KvssJl92cg

Despite how heartbreaking it was watching him grieve for his "children," this is one of the best emotional moments; not only because CY admits that ES had always held first place in his heart, but also due to the conflict it poses. I've always marked this as the earliest point at which Young's mental battle over the weight of his sword began to surface.

The death of so many Wudalchi and the danger to GM, the king to whom he had sworn his allegiance, hit CY hard. This is the first time he had acted as a General, by directing and dividing his forces, and what it emphasizes most of all is that he carries an enormous burden.

The lives of the Wudalchi as well as the King and Queen rests on his shoulders - bargaining his own life as he used to do may have been one thing, but bargaining the lives of so many is quite another matter.

But what hit him hardest was the realization that if he was allowed to choose again, he would STILL have chosen to save ES, thereby (as he believes) sacrificing the Wudalchi due to his absence. His declaration that ES had always held first place in his heart wasn't just a grand confession, but a simple expression of the battle that he was fighting inside as he felt like he was torn between two halves of himself. The first is the CY that he had always been - honorable, placing duty above all. The other is CY the man, whose heart and soul has been claimed by ES.

CY's statement that ES has always been first and that he had never really known such a thing as "allegiance" to his nation goes far beyond being an expression of his love for a woman.   To me, it connects to the idea that ES is the home that CY had never had - a symbol of warmth, happiness, refuge and something to fight for. How much ES have meant to a man like CY, who had never known peace? His life in the Jeogwoldae required him to be constantly on the move without a settled place to live, and he continued to be tossed around even within the palace when one king replaced another. In ES, he had found not only home but allegiance - his home is where she is, his nation is where she lives. This realization shakes the very core of his being, which had previously known only honor, duty and loyalty to his master and his king.

Spoiler

VkakEhdFjBNAXOC02XctTdNnnv_RJRyQtpiP4KXr

CY saw the wound and ES face is blank and did not know what to say. CY finally revealed to ES, in a simple and heartbreaking manner, what he felt as she consistently kept her heart locked to him. "Is that why you're so far away?" - that one sentence says it all.

She looks up at him pleadingly. There are tears in her eyes now, and he is looking at her so intently. He drops her arms and looks into her eyes. “So, are you going to distance yourself from me then” ? They both stare at each other for a brief moment, and then he turns to leave.

She calls out to him and she hugs him from behind. (Ahhh Daejang is so hot here)
Don't turn around, just listen to me as tears are glistening in her eyes.

He is startled at her question, and attempts to turn around but she would not let him, and the tears that threaten to fall, now roll down her cheeks. My remaining days...each and every day... I will love you as much and as I want." (ahhhh these words make me breathless... so emotional. I want to cry right along with her.)

She sobs as she leans her face onto his back, wrap her arms tightly around CY waist as she cries back hugging. He has no words, himself struggling with his emotions and inner turmoil ( swooning at his adam apple ! )

eXpYjNatkJl-wcYlh3erRmYBSaJa4w37rC0mdGwt

** The End **

• Love 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

16 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

The death of so many Wudalchi and the danger to GM, the king to whom he had sworn his allegiance, hit CY hard. This is the first time he had acted as a General, by directing and dividing his forces, and what it emphasizes most of all is that he carries an enormous burden.

The lives of the Wudalchi as well as the King and Queen rests on his shoulders - bargaining his own life as he used to do may have been one thing, but bargaining the lives of so many is quite another matter.

But what hit him hardest was the realization that if he was allowed to choose again, he would STILL have chosen to save ES, thereby (as he believes) sacrificing the Wudalchi due to his absence. His declaration that ES had always held first place in his heart wasn't just a grand confession, but a simple expression of the battle that he was fighting inside as he felt like he was torn between two halves of himself. The first is the CY that he had always been - honorable, placing duty above all. The other is CY the man, whose heart and soul has been claimed by ES.

CY's statement that ES has always been first and that he had never really known such a thing as "allegiance" to his nation goes far beyond being an expression of his love for a woman.   To me, it connects to the idea that ES is the home that CY had never had - a symbol of warmth, happiness, refuge and something to fight for. How much ES have meant to a man like CY, who had never known peace? His life in the Jeogwoldae required him to be constantly on the move without a settled place to live, and he continued to be tossed around even within the palace when one king replaced another. In ES, he had found not only home but allegiance - his home is where she is, his nation is where she lives. This realization shakes the very core of his being, which had previously known only honor, duty and loyalty to his master and his king.

Just awesome insights, @Thong Thin! Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

Episode 18

..... but a simple expression of the battle that he was fighting inside as he felt like he was torn between two halves of himself. The first is the CY that he had always been - honorable, placing duty above all. The other is CY the man, whose heart and soul has been claimed by ES.

Sorry to cut your post @Thong Thin  Awesome!    I'd would not know how to phrase it this way.  As always, you see something that I don't see.  Thank you for your time.  Glad you can post pics and gifs now.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thoughts on Episode 19

Choi Young and Eun-soo are on the run again. Among other things, the series was criticized for repetitive plot points, such as a second poisoning and flight from the palace, but I found much of it charming, since they have clearly become a couple. There are many small, sweet touches in this part. Young confesses that he’s apprehensive about being parted from her even a short time, and as she leaves with Dae-man, she mirrors what Young has consistently done by looking back at him one last time before leaving. On their way Dae-man tells her a sweet story of Young’s persistence and kindness in capturing him, a true wild child. 

IwBjQzs.jpg?1

Image credit: Drama Beans

Meanwhile Young essentially dismisses the last seven years of his life, telling his aunt that he won’t give up the last 20 days he can spend with Eun-soo even if it costs him his career. It’s romantic but very sad, as we see how his life before Eun-soo had so little meaning to him. As if to emphasize that point, he later unbinds his hair and removes the bandana, a symbol of giving up his command and service to the King. Anther sweet scene is on their journey when they take a rest, leaning against a tree trunk. Young insists that she lean on his shoulder. Perhaps a little insecure himself, he fishes for a compliment, and her response is half-teasing; what comes to her mind is his familiar, “What?” They both grin at her joke, and when he puts his arm around her and draws her even closer, we can see how peaceful and sweet Young is when he can just be himself with her.

Spoiler

pDh9LGX.jpg

Image credit: Scattered Jooni

856sdmp.jpg?1

Image credit: Scattered Jooni

4PWaIrL.jpg?1

Image  credit: Drama Beans

pAKfQPn.jpg?1

Image credit: Drama Beans

There are also the lovely scenes between the King and Queen. She comes to his office late at night and gathers up his papers, insisting that he stop working and come to bed. Very practical wife that she is, she asks him to tell her the problem of the day, and that they can worry about it together. But she suddenly takes ill, and Do-chi’s smirk gives us a clue that the Queen is pregnant. When the King goes to her afterward, she’s literally glowing with the knowledge of that small life inside her. He’s so overcome with emotion that he can hardly get the words out, “How was I so fortunate…how I was able to meet someone like you…” As he takes her in his arms he adds, “My Queen, thank you. Thank you truly.” 

Spoiler

AUZMuQP.jpg

Dw6hsLW.jpg?1

8erCxNF.jpg?1

In addition to romance, of course there is politics and continuing court intrigue. A Yuan envoy presents the King with two options, neither of which the King can or will agree to. I admire the King’s courage here, deciding that Yuan will have to shed blood in order to make Goryeo part of Yuan. Meanwhile Ki Chul fumes and sets a reward for killing Young and bringing back Eun-soo. He also makes a deal with the King for his release from house arrest. Lastly, we see that Ki Chul’s days are numbered, given the increasingly frequent backlash of his powers. Those hot baths he's been taking since the beginning of the series are not optional. 

Spoiler

gTF9Ozw.jpg?1

8EssNgG.jpg?1

As their flight continues, Eun-soo seems blissfully unaware of their constant danger. She makes herself obvious at the inn where they’ve stopped to eat and urges Young to drink alcohol. She chatters on about “spells” she wants to teach Young. Meanwhile he’s spending incredible amounts of energy being constantly alert for those who want to kill him and capture her; he has little time for conversation and makes short work of those who threaten them. She does notice that he frequently looks in the direction of the palace and asks if he’s ever done just what he wanted. It’s a thoroughly modern question; I suspect most people of that time lived with constant obligation to family, job and community, never even thinking to ask themselves such a question. He essentially tells her that it’s just the time since they left the capital, when they’ve been traveling together. Duty has been his whole life.

Spoiler

juUh0Q6.jpg?1

eyoDTKB.jpg?1

EeKWCUf.jpg?1

QOi5KkD.jpg?1

Lastly, Young leaves Eun-soo in a secluded area and then backtracks to kill yet another set of  pursuers. While waiting Eun-soo finds a small container with writing inside. Overwhelmed by its message, she only asks Young to hold her when he returns. He sees that she’s very upset but doesn’t pry; he trusts she’ll tell him when she can and takes her into his arms to comfort her. I love this constant juxtaposition of the killer warrior with the sweet, tender lover!

5H8KsLF.jpg?1

9vh6bcA.jpg?1

As the episode ends, we’re left looking at the two of them in a close embrace as the song, “Carry On," plays:

As we’re in the same time, I see you smile

Now only you are in my eyes

Just like fate, each day gets filled with you

It already feels like a thousand years have passed.

I only feel you

Against my white skin

Your breath softly touches me

…You came to me without a word.

The moment I started to breathe

You became my heart

I want to dream with you and love you

I want to live my days in your precious arms

I love you, you are my destiny

Carry on, oh, carry on...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

Episode 19

giphy.gif

CY & ES on the run and it's sweet that CY takes the initiative to pack the bundle for her and ties it onto her back. Both are so at ease and they take it in such stride. And he tells her he is apprehensive to be apart from her,awww…. how far did CY come from that frozen, closed-off person who didn't even want to rest on her shoulder because it's unmanly.
Sometimes, I think he's trying too hard to do everything and whatever he can for ES before she departs for the Heaven and it hurts. How much love for another person is deemed enough? Just when I thought his love for ES is at its max in the episode where she's poisoned, he proves me wrong again. His love for her seems to be increasing with every minute he spends with her.

An interesting thing to consider when CY is putting his possessions into a box and telling CS to dispose of it - we know that he put MH's bandana in there originally. The box likely held what are his most prized possessions, so asking CS to throw it away symbolizes that he was ready to put every last shred of his past life behind in preparation for going on the run with ES.

I love the conversation between LC and CY is so unswerving and amazing. He can't stay no matter what it means for GM and he knows he can never return. He is willing to give up all his future for the 20 days with ES. And it kills me, that he tells his aunt there is not much to give up as he doesn't remember anything in the palace prior to when ES showed up.

Let’s do some maths… he started out as warrior at the age of 16, and has been at it for 14 years. Staying with the Red Moon milita for 7 years and now for 7 years as the Woodalchi commander. It sad and breaks one heart that basically half his life being comitted to work and is meaningless.
Now that the stakes are up, she's very worried about her nephew and wants to ensure his safety. Unfortunately, she is no fight against his love for ES and his determination to spend her remaining days in Goryeo with her.

Spoiler

bT3EnLa.png

I simply adore this scene. He's totally acting like a protective, loving boyfriend here, who only has eyes for his beloved. He checks on her wound and bandages it so gently. Where in the earlier episodes, he would shun her touch and act uncomfortable at the skinship, he's very comfortable with it now and even initiates it. He volunteers his broad shoulder for her to rest on and when she ignores his gesture, he tries it again.

When he asks ES if there's anything she likes in Goryeo, he is so fretful when she doesn’t answer right away and that confused half-smile when she tells him his way of saying things to her. And sure enough, she aces the question with an impeccable impersonation of him, an answer which pleases him to no end and he breaks into one of the most charming smiles & LMH portrayed that perfectly. He needed her brightness to live again and she needed his depth of loyalty to know what love was.  I am so awed by them. 

Spoiler

BrFK5qe.png

W0jvbO5.png

VkRI7Fv.png

Now our other couple, the King & QueenI like watching them in the episode because there is something soothing about them. 

I love how NG comes to drag GM to bed and GM is all sheepish "I was about to come, promise" and she listens to his problems and then gets nauseous and he totally freaks out and is all 'my queen' (meeeelt) but it turns out she is pregnant and they are both so glowing and he is almost crying and I am in awe of how far they've come.
The King can be strong when he has CY but he is made better and seems more balance with  NG. 

Spoiler

rVAJFzb.png

What broke my heart was the night scene when ES woke from her sleep and sees CY guarding outside the inn. Where she innocently asked him if he had ever a day where he could do anything he liked or wanted and it just tore me to pieces when he replied: "Yesterday .. and ... today." This man ... this boy ... never had any fun. His life consisted of staying alive to fight and I can understand that he is so smitten with ES. She brought happiness and a somewhat precarious peace into his life. You can see how his soul is not only healed,it literally swells and shines !. And he acknowledges that his fighting style has changed. He is still skilled and really, really deadly, but he uses his sword in a minimalist fashion now. His strokes and punches are very precise and when he fights, he kills mercilessly and quickly. In the beginning of the series he was this closed off, cold warrior who didn't like to be touched, now he actually covets it. He initiates touches and easily hugs and touches ES without hesitation.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

cr as tagged

I love how persistent ES keeps trying to get him to learn some of the popular Korean culture and he subtly rejecting it. Oh Lord, the deadpan expression on his face is daebak!!! I just love how girlishly she whines to get him to learn the heavenly gestures. If there's one thing I learn about CY , it's his lack of resistance against ES's aegyo. But apparently, that has its limitations as well. It's sweet how she tries anyway.

She tries to teach him all sorts of things - 'aja aja' (she leaves out 'fighting!', how much she hates for CY to kill his adversaries.), the pinky-swear (so if you swear that way, you won't have to give your life up if you can't keep your word), the high-5. And throughout it all, he is so puzzled and amused and loving. I realize ES wants to leave him something, to help him somehow, even when she is not there any more

Spoiler

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

cr as tagged

One of my favorite scenes tonight is the ending scene. I  love how they filmed the scene: on one side they showed future lonely ES and on the other side they showed current ES with CY.

9sNOzf5.jpg

cr as tagged

When it shows the future ES gazing toward the direction where CY & ES was hugging, I felt as if she was watching them from afar. Plus, future ES is standing alone while Goryeo ES now is with her man,does that means she already managed to change history by saving his life. ?

That scene also played so well, it's very obvious how much CY is worried for her (always) and you  could actually feel her shock and confusion when she read the letter from past/future self (complicated ! ).

Great scene when past/future ES kissed that little plastic film container, hoping it will reach to the one it was destined for.

4djWz9N.png

cr as tagged

*** THEN END ***

Edited by Thong Thin
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 3

16 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

@msdot and @Thong Thin !!!!

You two chingus are now getting me itching to re-watch Ep 19 now.  I watched it just last week  LOL

After reading your wonderful recaps, I am now gonna doing it.  Hahaha!  You guys daebak !

Hey ! Min..... waiting for your thoughts as well.

Having a hard time on Ep 19. esp the time travel thing !... my mind gets fried when comes to last scene :headbang:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I could not somehow express so well like both of you.  Simple English can la. 
Reading you guys' recap makes me feel good, the feeling goes beyond those lines or phrases.

Thank you, Chingus.   

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Daejang's tone is so gentle here, wish I could post the vid but I don't know how

giphy.gif
Daejang and his trusted Choong Sik
Don't think after something happens
Always think before it happens

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Here

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Thong Thin, Just FYI,  I can’t see the images in your episode recap.  Instead of an image, there’s only a blank space with an outline around it, and a bunch of letters at the top.  I can see everyone else’s images, and I can see the gif in the short post you made right after my recap. Go figure! 

• Like 2