Thoughts on Episode 9

The beginning of the episode is as satisfying as the ending of the previous one, with Choi Young being exonerated and promoted, and the Woodalchi freed. The General gives himself a makeover with a new hairstyle to signify his promotion and, I think, his new attitude. 

yVpNCSV.png

The bandana hairstyle makes him look even younger than before, and when his aunt scolds him in front of the King, he briefly looks about 15 years old. I thought that was very cute. Later his aunt warns him about having romantic feelings for the doctor. It shows the degree that he’s attracted to Eun-soo when the normally very controlled Young blurts out, “Why not?” before he can stop himself. He quickly tries to cover himself by denying any such feelings, but of course we know better!

rKPsOV1.png

There are all kinds of little humorous, even slapstick, touches in this series, often by Eun-soo but others as well. She tries to look tough in front of Ki-chul but keeps tripping or sliding off her intended place. When she angrily confronts Ki Chul on an order he made regarding Choi Young, she does it again, and I laughed out loud when Ki Chul helps her put her leg up on the desk. The Manbo siblings are another humorous touch with their scolding of Young, telling him he’s the King’s dog, complete with “Arf, arf,” and their constant banter with each other.

oMwC5TH.jpg?1

My favorite scenes in this episode are Young’s visit to Ki Chul’s house to get his sword back, and Eun-soo’s interrogation in the throne room. In the first scene, Young is dressed in a blue and black outfit with loose, dark blue silk sleeves. Some of the shots of him in this scene take my breath away; he is just stunning to look at. He is unsmiling and cool to Eun-soo, not knowing whether she’s there willingly or not. You can see his face soften when she touches his sleeve and he even swallows, a sure sign that he’s feeling his attraction to her. Then his face becomes more animated as an idea occurs to him about how to get her back to the palace. Still aware that Ki Chul is watching, he maintains his cool composure as he tells her she’ll need to lie.

Spoiler

7muoAvR.jpgfhTeKrn.jpg

The scene in the throne room is more fun as we watch the King and Young stick a knife in Ki Chul’s ego, outsmarting him to gain both a substantial amount of money and regain Eun-soo. Sometimes I’m tempted to take Young less seriously because he looks so young, but his reply to the Governor when he begs him to save his life, courteous but without an ounce of sympathy, reminds us that he’s a very serious man indeed. And no wonder; he holds the Governor equally responsible with Ki Chul for the prince’s death.

Spoiler

Q7ZSN7k.png?1

There’s another touch of slapstick when Eun-soo is so angry about being accused of treason that she kicks Young in the shins, then tries to kick him again and slips, briefly falling into his arms. She quickly struggles out of them to stomp off in a rage, leaving him to look after her regretfully. He isn’t sorry about what he and the King did, but that doesn’t help at the moment. 

[Here’s a BTS video where in one part she inadvertently kicks LMH for real and he hops around in pain while laughing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k29Aw4HPcIM&feature=youtu.be

Lastly, Eun-soo learns from Dr. Jang that ending the Prince’s suffering has cost Young a great deal. He will stay in the court serving the King rather than ask to be released. I think he would have decided that anyway, given what has happened, but learning that helps Eun-soo realize that his action was anything but a casual act of violence.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 4

Episode 9 is one of my favourites in the sense that CY mesmerised me with his new look and change of clothing. He looks more like a gentle nobleman than a rough soldier. So hot, hahaha. The scene where he visited KC to get the sword back is my utmost love because there, not only LMH looks super gorgeous, but there was a moment of non-verbal, emotional display through his bling-bling eyes the moment ES touches his sleeves and worries about him...and yes, his adam's apple added to the superb acting performance too in depicting, which I imagined to be CY's heart (usually a sea of calmness), being ruffled? disturbed? and causes a tsunami of waves internally (with his eyes moving side to side).

I may be thinking too much into it, lol. I'm just here to swoon at Daejang's new gorgeous hairdo and beautiful eyes (been waiting for this episode recap actually, hahaha). Apparently the bandana signifies the status of Daejang, which means CY has finally embraced his duty seriously.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 3

Episode 9

This episode sees a new CY, a person who’s alive and fighting and out goes the sleeping dying CY.

His changed of cloths from Yuan Dynasty to Goryeo Dynasty and new hairstyle compliments his clear cut features and charismatic charm together with a band on his head looks perfect on him.

8tgjXL1d2tuJtH53VGdVK6vRUSF6kHWs2JQZlF49

The scene when Woodalchi's see their general again, shouting for joy DaeJang! (general)..and DM is with CY, they're like brothers. It's more funnier whenever CY smack him on the head, then he acts so innocent.

I  like the 'chess' moves between the King GM, CY and LC.  Only problem is that ES is the prize that gets moved back and forth.  But, I'm so glad that she is sharp enough to know that she holds the trump card, in regards to GC, because she knows the future in which he is interested

The court lady, LC, called CY to a quiet place and suddenly confronted him with the words, "Don′t you dare even dream of it. She′s not a person you can have your nonsensical feelings for."
CY smiled and asked why, to which LC answered, "GC is out to get her. You shouldn′t be loving such a woman."
She then warned, "GC can have anything in the world he wants, since he just destroys what he can′t have. If you want to save the doctor, don′t even look at her, don′t call her name and don′t think about her."
CY interrupted LC, by saying nonchalantly, "Let′s just do this whichever way. It′s not like that. I just brought her here, and I promised her I would take her back."

Spoiler

6lRCJyHGpJ490q-gEkj8GWPjhjYOql1CIb5Sn-kt

It's funny how ES tries to act tough and put up a brave front when she confronts GC about harming CY by putting her leg on the table, only to fall off it awkwardly. And the way a shocked GC rushes to help her as if it's the most natural thing in the world to do.... urgh!!!

And ES is so protective of CY that she gave a warning to GC ,
"See if you dare to touch him recklessly I'll wager the heaven name and see that you pay. This is what a threat is"

The scene when CY when to GC house to collect back his word, instead of worrying about her safety and using CY to get her out of GC's clutches, our plucky ES lies to him that she's well because she doesn't want to put him in danger again and he totally sees through her and probably loves her even more for it.

She didn't even want CY to fight (shed blood) for her to get her out of GC's place. After all, GC  main target is ES and he seems to believe he can achieve his goals with her beside him. When ES touch CY sleeve and he swallow, was so moving and he’s just in denial stage.

Spoiler

RaBpHzC0O9lb-TPKRBIKIdfZ9UXn_f19nQoM9j6t

After the meeting with ES, CY tries hard to recall his former love's features, only to realize that he can no longer recall them. It's like he's trying to deny himself of his feelings for ES but fails.

Love it when DM is so in tuned with CY's feelings that he finds it hard to broach the subject of meeting ES for the first few minutes or so. It's like he knows CY gets edgy whenever ES's mentioned... and his childish whining later when CY enters the house and asks him to leave... DM is totally like a little kid at times.

Had Eun Soo been more observant, she would have realized CY is totally wearing his heart on his sleeve, everyone who knows him well enough could just see it. His aunt LC sees ti, Dr Jang Bin sees it, all the wooldalchi sees it, heck even the King sees it !

How he stops in his tracks when DM mentions ES and pays full attention to what DM has to say about her... his subtle happiness when she professes her understanding of his killing the former King... how he always keeps his eyes on her when she's talking to him... how his eyes fall on her first even with a lot of people around.

The fight scenes between the gay samurai and CY lacked the punch but at the end he stripped me of my breath. Did he have a preference for men?

Spoiler

b60uHSgK970wXPs3l1ghPAjyCyv3pclP9PgX0535

I was thinking GC might have Parkinson's disease, from the trembling of his hands. That would partly explain his desperate desire to get hold of  ES since doctors of that time (Yuan Dynasty) know nothing much about the disease, much less cure it fully.

Spoiler

u1aLPh2Raxo_kk4S5yHV5RIUoT7NUw0-Q6hAeBlx

That mind game in the court sure shook ES to the core. She was so terrified being dragged away, after sentenced to "treason," by none other than the King! Poor girl thought it was real to boot but in actual fact is to save her from GC clutch ! And she knows what a sentence for this crime involves: body tied to a pole while flesh would be cut off one piece after another *shiver*  And what did she do? Nothing wrong. She's been doing just what she's told to do, besides staying honest, trying her best to help people. She's done nothing wrong to be punished at all. What an emotional wreck she went through.

But I can't really blame her for believing she was accused or for the way she behaved afterwards. Since day one she has been tossed around from one person to the next. CY kidnaps ES from the future to save the Queen later on GM gives ES to GC for her own good, than she's back to GM only this time being accused of treason. She's been's so dependent on CY  which is the reason why they keep passing her around and she isn't able to do things her own way and than there's KC who does nothing but lock her up.Imagine the amount of fear ES must have felt when she was being dragged away for committing treason how much it must have hurt her pride to be called a criminal when all she's been doing is saving life's. So to me her anger is justified she is human after this isn't her world she's not aware of how things work in Goryeo.   

Poor CY got kicked on the shins, on second try, ES slip and fell on CY arms.

CY expression was out pouring with sadness while showing some flashbacks since he kidnapped her from the future, their happy moments together until now that she hates him.

I loved KHS acting in today's episode the way how she came  in JB's arms, you could see how much the situation weighs on her. And poor CY, he knows she doesn't belong in his time, too, he is falling in love again and finally letting go of his past love and heartbreak only for him to be in a one sided love with a woman from another dimension.

CY must have be very heartbroken to realize that his attempt at saving ES only serves to drive her into another man's arms.

JUHS_M5GIUPQrFFEAcFAkT1L14cEE5sCx9dlczy0

The last scene sees ES fell in a confusion state after finding her name written on Hwata’s relic.

k_jv2567pBT0NXxSv8iWJ46GefikewWzR1t5TPhC

Spoiler

s-O0PNaRyY9Lqm343BHwgM5QuO8xTUoTIAxLCAbG

Edited by Thong Thin
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

ep 9 ~ the music is kind of interesting because it adds more drama flair. all the politics, strategy and back stabbing was fun to watch -- ki cheol gets outsmarted and the king gets what is important in every age -- money!

but my favourite scene was when eun seon runs to doctor jang and hugs him -- I was laughing at the horrified face he made and his "what do I do now?" expressions. :joy: someone please gif/screenshot that!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Whoa ..you guys are superfast - @msdot @mademoisellesia @Thong Thin @Lmangla   :transforms:

There are so many sweet moments about Epi 9 that I like, which most of you have beautifully crafted above

Some moments that I like  esp this scene of ES - she looks so beautiful here despite looking worried, plotting her escape, having locked up in GC place against her will 
giphy.gif

Yet she does not show her fear, putting up a brave front
giphy-downsized-large.gif

The look given by the King and Court Lady Choi to Daejang when he uttered the remark
giphy.gif

We all know she has given her heart to someone.  Does GC know?

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Morning @Thong Thin  Thanks a lot for the gifs --- the casts and crew were having so much fun on the set.  I have seen other BTS clips / links shared by our chingus here - LMH, KHS and the others, even GC were all goofing around.   Though the drama is kinda heavy.

12 hours ago, Lmangla said:

ep 9 ~ the music is kind of interesting because it adds more drama flair. all the politics, strategy and back stabbing was fun to watch -- ki cheol gets outsmarted and the king gets what is important in every age -- money!

but my favourite scene was when eun seon runs to doctor jang and hugs him -- I was laughing at the horrified face he made and his "what do I do now?" expressions. :joy: someone please gif/screenshot that!

and morning to you @Lmangla

Our Daejang is checking - their eyes

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

@Thong Thin I think the samurai guy is supposed to be "gay" in his role, not sure whether he is irl - he is also a fan of daejang

the 1st piece

his 2nd piece

Is gross seeing the "gay" feeding Daejang garlic with his fingers ! 

AQzM6V7uOjw5AQlWK-9NtJpewR5lw3GGftou5YeQ

Edited by Thong Thin
  • LOL 4

6 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

Is gross seeing the "gay" feeding Daejang garlic with his fingers ! 

I know ... I was laughing at your BTS when he fell on Daejang's chest!  Did not expect the feeding scenes next.  Did he really eat?

Just did another gif on the here's-my-garlic-feeding-finger-licking-good scene with daejang-eating , and I also like the eng sub-ber -- dude

• LOL 2

17 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Hahaha omg!! Isn’t this the one we named “Noodles” :joy: i love him! He is so hilarious around Daejang!! 

and of course, hello to my Faithlings!! *glomps*

Hello Professor V  :smooches2:

How have you been... .yes,... we named him  "Noodles".. 8 years ago :joy:

• Like 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

8 hours ago, Thong Thin said:

feeding Daejang garlic with his fingers ! 

yea, poor daejang looked horrified -- why not use chopstick or spoon. what's with the dirty fingers? especially in pandemic times, we notice all these random things no? ^_^

8 hours ago, Min2206 said:

Do not underestimate the power of the handbag !

this is why women must always have a decent size handbag. not those small purses. can't whack someone's head with that can we? ^_^

• LOL 3

13 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Hahaha omg!! Isn’t this the one we named “Noodles” :joy: i love him! He is so hilarious around Daejang!! 

Daejang definitely prefers a different type of noodle than this guy! Seriously, though, a guy as good-looking as Daejang would likely get flirted with by both men and women!

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, Min2206 said:

May I ask why ES cried and kept saying those words when she read the letters / diary.     I know I read bits here and there but I am not sure what I think is right.   Thank you, chingus! 

My interpretation is that it’s because she recognizes it as her journal from Seoul,  but she has no memory of making those entries in it. How did it get to Goryeo a thousand years ago? Who made those entries? What does it mean?  Combined with all the other shocks she’s been getting, it makes her feel crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msdot said:

My interpretation is that it’s because she recognizes it as her journal from Seoul,  but she has no memory of making those entries in it. How did it get to Goryeo a thousand years ago? Who made those entries? What does it mean?  Combined with all the other shocks she’s been getting, it makes her feel crazy.

Thank you @msdot  I remember seeing something at the end of drama  but willl need to refresh my memory when I get to the end. 

giphy.gif
She is really daring - she really did!   How come I miss this?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3