[Drama 2012] Goodbye Dear Wife 굿바이 마눌

Guest purpleZ

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest purpleZ

"Goodbye Dear Wife" Ryoo Si-won effect?

photo236136.jpg

Channel A drama "Goodbye Dear Wife" started off poorly despite it being the first drama in four years for Ryoo Si-won.

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research on the 8th, "Goodbye Dear Wife" aired on the 7th for the first time rated 0.84%.

This is higher than the previous "K-Pop - The Ultimate Audition" but still lower than expected.

"Goodbye Dear Wife" was greatly expected and Ryoo Si-won even became the most searched name at one point but didn't create any results to meet up to the expectations.

Whether or not "Goodbye Dear Wife" will increase anytime soon will have to wait but the first episode brought disappointment.

Source: http://news.nate.com/view/20120508n03185?mid=e0101

Via: Hancinema

Maybe I'm the only specimen alive who have watched a korean drama or j-drama with TOTAL DISREGARD for the ratings.

I know many other 'kids' following primetime dramas in other Soompi threads say they're not bothered by ratings and yet when the ratings suddenly start dropping, suddenly they ask stew-pit questions like why? why? why?

Not for me. I follow a drama because I want to follow it and I'll follow it right to the end even if the ratings are close to zero.

This being a cable-produced drama, of course the ratings are going to be low, very low. And like I just said, ratings have never and will never affect my enjoyment of the drama. The rest of Korea can watch what they want but for me, when this drama airs, I'm already there in front of my TV.

RSW has never rocked my world - so it matters nothing to me even if he shows his nipples in a shower scene.

For me, Hong Soo Hyun (killer bod with strong acting chops), Park Ji Yoon (she's gonna have to kiss & cry & kiss & cry some more), and a familiar story plot that won't disturb anyone's brain waves - are more than enough to keep me glued for its entire run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for those of you who are bothered by low or high ratings of this drama, then I think you're wasting your brain cells even thinking about that. But if you like sweating over ratings, then nobody's stopping you.

Going by its first episode last evening, my gut feelings tell me the ratings are going to drop way down well before this drama even reaches its halfway mark - I've also watched many cable dramas aired last year whose ratings were not worth talking about and yet, those cable dramas had their good and fun moments, including those with blood and gore & female nudity all thrown in.

I'm always eager to see what my fave actresses will be doing in their new dramas (and maybe I'll keep one eye on the towering 1.95m Julien Kang) and now expecting Park Ji Yoon will figure more in tonight's episode 2.

Guest purpleZ

Hi daunte29, I was just passing the news and not the one making the news ;)

As you all know, it's a cable drama. When it hits the 1% rating, then the drama will be considered successful. It's still one episode so we've got long way to go. So people can't really judge from one episode. I don't bother about rating, because I will definitely keep watching this one.

I enjoyed the first episode. The first half was so much fun then the part where RSW kept searching for his first love kind of dragged it. But I want to see how far he's going to go pursuing his first love and how the writer is going to handle this more than familiar storyline to make it stand out and engaging!

I can't wait for tonight's episode. GW, fighting!

Well, as I've predicted, cable viewers themselves are running away from this RSW drama and I can tell you why, even after two episodes.

But I don't wish to spoil the mood for visitors to this thread nor am I one to be falsely accused of dissing this drama so early on in its development. But I'm also not one to whitewash what I've watched, so I'm going to encase my comments in spoiler box. Read at your own risk :wacko:

Suffice to say, there's nothing seriously wrong with the plot or the scripting but the acting of the 3 male leads & the sublimal tone is out of whack. The good moments in eps 1 & 2 (and there were some) were crucially unbalanced by 'forced' humor on the part of the male cast, and sometimes I have to remind myself these are grown adult men, professional fighters, but they are made to behave like teenaged boys in the heat of puberty.

For example, I don't find it funny that Kye Dong Hee aka Danny Ahn the chaffeur, gets kicked in the shin and is physically abused by his boss and for what?

Kang Goo Ro aka Julien Kang showing off his chest and an urban male in heat and wanting to bed Oh Hyang Gi aka Park Ji Yoon (who'd sooner sleep with Pororo) and throws a tantrum the very next day for getting blue balls is not my idea of comedy either. And just when KGR is about to slap OHG (gosh no, male violence...what else can we expect from a k-drama, eh?) in comes the 'better' fighter and the end result of a poorly-choreographed club fight scene is over with KGR licking some red tomato blood from his lip.

In the boxing ring, they fight like MMA pros but outside the ring, in the club, they fight, scratch that:brawl like typical schoolboys with no finesse. Mr PD, what gives?

Speaking of red, how many of you were gawking at Julien Kang's red thongs in ep 1? Now that's something you don't see everyday in a k-drama.

Billed as a romantic comedy (I've lost count how many 2012 k-dramas say they belong to this category) - the tiny bit of romantic part I get, especially of a woman in nun's habit being dragged out of her church and then locking lips and exchanging saliva for more than 15 seconds.

Walking into an expensive Italian restaurant to meet by chance your long-lost assumed dead ex-girlfriend with flowers thoughtfully and conveniently bought by your own chauffeur is nothing short of cheesy - but it's only because I'm past that age of teenage romanticism.

However what about the comedy part ??? Like I said earlier, the sparse comedic moments were forced and so unreal..... maybe we'll see RSW in pink thongs, next?

For me, and I do stress it's my reaction and does not reflect how this drama may impact you and I KNOW it will affect you differently from how it has on me - most of the major male cast are either over-acting or badly-acting. They are not acting and behaving like normal men of their age.

Just because they're in the business of professional boxing, it doesn't necessarily mean their brains have been beaten down to the size of a pea, right? Sure, you see a sexy hot Park Ji Yoon at the club and you think she's going to spend the night doing the kamasutra positions with you but when that doesn't happen due to one thing or another, you throw a fit of anger? Just so the hero of the moment can show off his stunt double?

Nah .... there're many other women in that club whom KGR can boom-shaka-laka with anytime, so it's too contrived the way that scenario was written. KGR could have just picked two curvy babes, wrap his greasy arms around both and in front of Park Ji Yoon, proceed to walk out of the club while staring at her as if to say, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU"RE MISSING. Lucky man, luckier women.

I'm a raging sweaty fighter in the ring but outside the ring, I'm a raging sweaty lover. Just get those Rexona For Men on standby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN this day of razor-sharp HD cameras, it is ill-advised for the PD to choose extreme close-ups of the two male leads, RSW & Danny Ahn, because their facial pores and uneven sagging skin are so plainly obvious, even under their make-up. Did they forget their Botox jabs before the shoot?

Speaking of close-ups, Hong Soo Hyun & PJY never looked better. I like very much the character profile the writer gave to HSH and she goes about her godly devotion, homemaking duties, and her life the way she thinks is best - but of course this erstwhile scenario is going to be put under self-scrutiny sooner than later.

The icy Park Ji Yoon who leads a double life (in the eyes of you-know-who) has I think more to reveal in the coming episodes but so far, she's doing a decent job playing the role of a woman who once held lofty ideals in her youth but time and an eventful incident impacted her and the jury is still out in this one.

I think both the main female leads have great depth of character potential that can be further developed through both their different nuances, and HSH can be funny without even trying too hard. That's why I've always admired her acting and the charisma she brings to every scene.

This PD loves using flashbacks and more flashbacks but in all those flashbacks of at least 5-6 years ago, the two women had different hairstyles and wore different clothes as expected but in all those flashbacks RSW hair remains the same, and he's always wearing his fightclub uniform. The ladies' man hasn't changed a bit in 5 years.

Endnote: This is not a review of the drama's opening 2 eps; just how it has aroused my follicles. I do expect reading this to have your own opinions and you should form your own, without having to latch onto any of my views here. There's never any right or wrong views, only differences.

Dunno whether the two ringtones used by Ha Seung Hyeok (Eye of the Tiger) and wifey Kang Seon Ah (Ave Maria) are meant as small doses of humor but the best scene so far for me was when KSH wrapped her hubby in a headlock after burning him with a lighter.

An ex-nun who carries a lighter? And she uses it on human flesh too. Now that's truly a hot woman. This hot woman even puts on sexy red lingerie while waiting for hubby to come home for dinner but alas, he's with the other woman.

Maybe wifey should have texted him to say she's waiting for him dressed only in minimal clothing but if he doesn't haul richard simmons, then she's changing back into her shapeless baggy ahjumma uniform. Sometimes men need that extra motivation, yeah?

But guess which lonely man in jacket & tie is waiting for this married woman outside her house in the dead of night? You see what I mean when I say this k-drama isn't lacking in typical k-drama subplots?

In the preview to ep3, wifey even deftly executes a few nifty MMA kicks and blows and pummels you-know-who. So should we start laughing out loud next week? Hmmmm.....

Here's the scene where ex-nun wifey burns hubby with a lighter and armlocks him before headlocking him..... and later she properly prays for her mis-guidance

Who needs kinky bedroom games when you have such loving skinship between husband & wife, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4pR370HV4

Here's where wifey in skintight dress puts on a hip-grinding body-wave routine that would make her former convent sisters blush.... the things she learns in nun school nowadays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFM5yXCmCL8

Julien in his red-thongs .... it's thong-time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-SFk97UtvU

And why is he wearing red underwear? Probably wanted to match this woman's ruby-red lips & red dress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDkBarjVvc

Credits: Youtube & ChannelAforever

Guest purpleZ

I have to agree on the forced humor part and overacting in some parts. Danny Ahn and Julien Kang are especially bad. Danny's humor is badly forced and overacting while Julien's acting is pure bad. Sorry for the fans. He's good looking but seeing his bad acting is such a turn off. Ryu Si Won though, I'll get back to him.

Please don't forget that Ryu Si Won's character IS a CHILDISH man, if you read the synopsis. So him acting childish like a man going on puberty is going by the script. This is aside from his acting, cause I think his acting is plain. Some of your points aren't objectively about the show but more on the characters themselves (or more on the actors?). In my opinion, the show is not that bad at all. I agree that the PD's directing is sometimes over the top and forcing it, but overall it's an interesting and cute show. I wouldn't say the best show I've ever seen, but it's a show that's worth a second look. Performance from Hong Soo Hyun for instance is one of the factors that save the show from turning really bad, because that woman is a natural. She's so funny without trying to be funny. As for Park Ji Yoon, I don't feel her character and besides her facial expression is quite flat throughout the entire show.

I hope this thread will be a place where we show some love to the show instead of being a place where everybody feels uncomfortable being in. Please stay positive and friendly in the end even you have disagreements and discontentment :)

Guest purpleZ

Screencaps of episode 3 and 4

2012051517062011.jpg

20120515145644_1_rstarlhy.jpg

201205142101401001_1.jpg

201205142157011001_1.jpg

20120516135023646.jpg

20120515161817781.jpg

2012051607410918928_1.jpg

Ratings slightly went up. According to AGB Nielsen episode 4 recorded a percentage of 0.557%, about 0.200% up from episode 2

Credits: Nate

Archived