Hyun Bin 현빈 [Movies: “The Point Men”, “Confidential Assignment 2” | Upcoming: Movie “Harbin”]

Helena

I lost faith of CLOY winning the big awards a while ago when i saw the articles about how tense South Korea and North Korea were becoming again. I think they simply could not go there at the moment. The drama is still loved but i think the media had to play it safe here and gave them popularity awards mostly. 

Personally seeing Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin winning an award TOGETHER and it being a popularity award knowing how loved this drama is INTERNATIONALLY is more special to me. Even though the entire team deserved more awards, i'll take this one. 

• Love 1

:(Disappointing HB not winning Best Actor, the winning competitor was a good act though, have to admit. 

VAST team if you guys are lurking around here, or HB himself, if would be amazing to see him become the action superstar that K-Ent needs. Maybe a collab between Hyun Bin and Won Bin for an action flick (playing frenemies like Hobbs & Shaw perhaps, but done much better obviously,.more darker and meatier characters and story). Definitely need a solo action movie franchise from HB with Lee Jeong-beom at the helm.

Please also look at foreign TV dramas/series like True Detective, House as inspiration for stories that can be molded to roles HB can portray. 

VAST team or 현빈 씨요. 만약 여러분이 이 근처에 숨어 있거나 HB가 있다면, 그가 K-Ent가 필요로 하는 액션 슈퍼스타가 되는 것을 보면 정말 놀라울 것입니다. 현빈과 원빈의 콜라보레이션으로 액션 영화 (페이스오프나 광적인 홉스 & 쇼와 같은 적들을 연기할 수도 있습니다. 더 어둡고 고상한 캐릭터들과 이야기들) 이정범 감독이 지휘봉을 잡고 있는 현빈의 솔로 액션 영화 프랜차이즈가 꼭 필요합니다.

HB가 연기할 수 있는 역할로 꾸며질 수 있는 이야기에 영감을 주는 진정한 탐정, 하우스와 같은 외국 드라마/시리즈도 봐주세요.

• Love 1

I would love for him to play a cop finally, in an action series, not a movie. I would also like for the series to be action AND romance and he could be married in the series but facing many obstacles. I'm not worried though HB is always pushing himself to play different roles, he will make sure to choose diverse projects. Cant wait to see what he does next!

• Like 1

Congrats Hyun Bin on winning the TikTok Popularity Award with Son Ye Jin! As many on here including myself, we really wish we could have won Best Actor in Crash Landing On You. We could see how much you work you put into your character having do the NK accent again, relearn piano, bulk up - to show a more protective side and keep the stern face while not showing emotion. In those moments where your character had to show emotion, you did in such a subtle way from the one tear etc and we could easily see the pain and worry your character had and love for YSR. It was one of the many reasons RJH was such a complex character. We know that even though you didn't win Best Actor at Baeksang, you are still Best Actor in our hearts. We know the opportunity will come in the future where you will get a chance to win Best Actor/Daesang again. It  may not be for TV but for Film. We will continue to always support you. Looking forward to your upcoming film, Bargaining, Hope filming is going well. I am looking forward to this as I hear it will show off your acting skills even more.

With CLOY continue success internationally, we know more viewers (like myself as I am from Canada) around the world will get to see more of your previous works not just your future works. Can't wait to see what other oversea work opportunities you get. Philippines is very lucky to have you as an endorser for both Bench and Smart.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hyun Bin Discusses Drama Success And What He Learned From Acting

Jun 7, 2020,05:43am EDT

Hyun Bin’s latest drama, Crash Landing On You, is the story of star-crossed lovers who are separated by the 38th parallel. The storyline so intrigued viewers that it became the highest rated tvN drama and the third-highest-rated drama in Korean cable TV history. The drama was not just popular in South Korea, but also in Singapore, Thailand and the Philippines, as well as ranking among the top ten most viewed Netflix programs in Japan and the U.S.

Hyun’s character is Ri Jeong-Hyeok, a conscientious North Korean officer who risks his life to protect a South Korean heiress, played by Son Ye-jin. The story provides a fictional glimpse into shuttered North Korea and a border-defying Romeo and Juliet romance. Hyun’s performance earned him a Most Popular Actor award at the 2020 Baeksang Arts Awards.

“All the roles that I have acted in were all special in a different way,” said Hyun. “But the role of Ri Jeong-hyeok had more warmth and innocence compared to the other roles that I have acted. I think it was more special in terms of expressing the role.”

Hyun was surprised by the drama’s worldwide success, even though his past dramas, Secret Garden with co-star Ha Ji-won and My Lovely Sam Soon with Kim Sun-ah, achieved international recognition.

“Although the language of North Korea and South Korea is similar, there are big differences in the vocabulary,” said Hyun. “I was curious how the viewers in South Korea, as well as the rest of the world, would accept it, which was surprising. Nevertheless, I thank all viewers for being positive about Crash Landing On You. I also thank the viewers for loving k-drama.”

Hyun has been popular in the Philippines since 2005, when a local TV network aired a Tagalog-dubbed version of  his romantic comedy My Lovely Sam Soon. His appeal there is sometimes referred to as the “Hyun Bin Phenomenon,” which recently led Smart Communications, a Philippines-based telecommunications company, to recruit him for an ad campaign. In an ad, Hyun rides a sports car and zooms through the city streets, alluding to the blazing speeds by which Filipinos can enjoy their daily dose of entertainment via Smart LTE and Giga Promos. 

“The ‘Hyun Bin Phenomenon’ is pretty much due to digital technology,” said Jane Basas, SVP and head of consumer wireless business at Smart. “Filipinos have developed the craze because they are able to stream his shows, hear the buzz about him online, share their excitement with their friends, and even get to interact with him through social media,” 

The Philippines has been named the world’s leading social media capital. In a country with a population of 108.8 million, there are 173.2 million mobile phone registrations, meaning most people are using multiple mobile phones/subscriptions per person. Pop culture is dominated by American, Korean, British and even Bollywood productions, but recently the Hallyu, or Korean pop cultural wave, has made an even bigger impression.

The ad campaign was shot in Seoul and, due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, visits to the Philippines must wait. However, Hyun is pleased that the campaign offers him another way to connect with his Filipino fans, whom he describes as “the warmest in the world.”

According to his agency, Vast Entertainment, Hyun is currently on location for his upcoming film, Bargaining. Directed by Im Soon-rye, the film is about a kidnapping that takes place in the Middle East. The film was originally set to shoot in Jordan, but, due to the coronavirus, the film will instead be shot in Korea. Hyun plays a National Intelligence Service (NIS) agent, who takes part in a rescue attempt.

Hyun doesn’t always play heroes. Before starring in Crash Landing On You, the actor played a villain in the film Negotiation. He enjoyed creating the character.

“I like playing the villain role,” said Hyun. “I worked hard to portray the complex emotions that this character had. One of the things I discussed a lot with the director was that we did not want this character to be the typical villain. We spent a lot of time finding ways to do that. So I looked for different ways to approach the scenes, for example, being gentle and soft for a scene that would otherwise be intense.”

Hyun’s acting resume is diverse. In another recent drama, Memories of Alhambra, he played an obsessed gamer on a quest  to perfect a virtual reality game. In the historical zombie film Rampant, he played a prince and martial arts expert. He did many of his own stunts, without a double, since his regular exercise regimen includes martial arts. He aced the action scenes in the film Confidential Assignment, but won’t rule out any particular roles or genres in the future.

“I like playing characters that fit my age and represent that time and the situations we face,” said Hyun.

One lesson he learned from acting is the importance of focusing on what he can control. There’s no need to stress about the rest.

“I think I should just focus on what it is I can do. Then it gets simple. All I have to do is to prepare well and show good acting.”

Almost two decades after his drama debut in the 2003 series Bodyguard, acting has given Hyun a sense of stability.

“I think I’ve become stronger and more relaxed. I’m more curious and interested in work, and there are more things I want to express. I am also working now on more projects than I did before.”

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2020/06/07/hyun-bin-discusses-drama-success-and-what-he-learned-from-acting/?fbclid=IwAR13J4Xuxl2QmoWstqWd5N5ZwfBuZIExrKSNlySyH7YGFKG9qPZ4TWHDbyI#24d1c5252a13

• Like 2

On the cover of People's Asia June/July

After sending the Internet on a frenzy with the recent release of his television commercial and its accompanying behind-the-scenes videos for telco giant Smart Communications, Asian superstar Hyun Bin lands the cover of PeopleAsia magazine’s June-July 2020 issue ⁠—  his first on a printed glossy in the Philippines.

“It was both a smart and a sentimental decision. We chose Hyun Bin because as Captain Ri in the smash hit Crash Landing on You, he personifies an ideal —principled, valiant, gallant and protective of the woman he loves. All that plus his killer dimples and you have a cover for keeps!” says Joanne Rae Ramirez, PeopleAsia’s editor-in-chief.

Set for release next week, the magazine, which was produced in cooperation with Smart Communications, features rare photographs from Hyun Bin’s shoot for the “Simple, Smart ako!” campaign.

Smart-PLDT execs, including president, CEO and chief revenue officer Al Panlilio, SVP and head of the consumer wireless business Jane Basas, PLDT-Smart’s first vice president and head of public affairs Mon Isberto and vice president for corporate marketing and strategy Lloyd Manaloto, also bare their future plans for Hyun Bin and Smart — including a second commercial, a sure visit to the Philippines and a cryptic message from Smart’s Captain, Al Panlilio himself who said, “Captain Ri would be lonely if he’s alone so…”

Meanwhile, Hyun Bin finds himself in good company in this issue, which also trains the spotlight on the magazine’s “Men Who Matter” 2020 awardees. Just like Captain Ri, these outstanding gentlemen raise the bar with their integrity, dedication and passion for helping others, especially in the time of COVID-19.

Leading this year’s prestigious list is San Miguel Corp. president and COO Ramon S. Ang, who steadied his ship at the onset of the lockdown by assuring all the conglomerate’s 66,000 employees of full pay and assuring government it would settle its obligations on schedule, among other things.

He is joined by former actor and model Richard Gomez, who has showed his leadership chops as mayor of Ormoc City, which registered zero COVID-19 cases until recently; Vince Dizon, president and CEO of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority, and deputy chief implementer of the government’s COVID-19 response; SM Supermalls president Steven Tan; St. Luke’s president and CEO Dr. Arturo dela Peña; fashion designer and humanitarian Michael Leyva; Accenture country managing director Lito Tayag; broadcast journalist Alvin Elchico; solar energy pioneer James Buskowitz; Kawit Mayor Angelo Aguinaldo; furniture entrepreneur Eric Po; rising businessman and Habitat for Humanity volunteer Brian Poe Llamanzares and sardines magnate, a “captain” in his own right, William Tiu Lim, CEO of Mega Global.

PeopleAsia is also presenting a  special award to the MVP Group of Companies, for its invaluable contribution to society and the economy during difficult times such as the health crisis we are experiencing now.

https://peopleasia.ph/?p=19556

For a  change HB should move on to future projects to the likes of Won Bin's matured & more serious acting roles i.e. action, adventure and move away from romance resulting in too much passionate kissing scenes with co-stars.  This will avoid shippings being formed to create unnecessary sensational speculations & gossips.

HB is almost reaching 40,  should select  veteran & diverse roles to improve his acting skills to higher standards & win more acting awards after gaining more experience since he is still young, many opportunities will flow due to his huge popularity.

Strange, how did HB officially dated Kang SoRa when there was no hint, no chemistry of acting together, nobody shipped them as a couple but it was being announced by HB himself? Obviously it shows his maturity to personally decide his own choice not forced by outsiders, acting is his career. 

Pray & hope fans will give him space and leave him alone to achieve his ambition first. 

• Like 2

hello..a newbie here..I watched Kim Sam Soon, Secret Garden and Millionnaires love....I always found HB to be a bit brash but very open and forthcoming in the interviews (very limited viewing though as back then subtitles weren't so easy to come by..I have watched many episodes of SEGA without any subtitles and reading updates on drama beans)...and then I watched CLOY- its a massive change in personality..Any idea what happened during his military enlistment that he changed so much?

Has he spoken about it? 

This is his first interview he did post military enlistment is below. People who followed him back then for 15+ years have said his personality now is like how he was back then (his younger years). He does pranks on set and stuff too. Since he has worked with Son Ye Jin since The Negotiation and they are close, I believe her bubbly personality brought that back. However, I think as an introvert in general you become more extrovert around people you are close with. Otherwise, he is still the shy and reserve guy in interviews especially if you watch his recent metro.style interview

Otherwise, I have been a fan since the last 4 months but within those months I watched most of his projects now, read past articles and past interviews. Hopefully, other long time fans can answer your question better @anony-mouse

He's still that shy, soft-spoken humble guy from way back.  He has been consistent all these years in trying to find roles that challenge him as an actor, I think that is why he continues to choose movie and tv dramas with themes that are diverse.  Still consistent in wanting to be remembered most as an actor rather than a star.

Edited by wingtips
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Small-Screen Returns of Actors Who Have Been Dominating Since Late 2000s to Early 2010s

small-screen-returns-of-actors-who-have-

You've probably seen the hype these past few days about the actors who have been on newly released K-dramas. Now, we narrowed it down to seven lead actors who have been making huge comebacks on the small screen.

Second is Hyun Bin from the hit "Crash Landing on You." It seems that this male actor does not age as time passes. The plot of this drama is when an heiress (Son Ye Jin) was paragliding but had an accidental landing in North Korea, and there, she met the handsome North Korean soldier, portrayed by Hyun Bin. He protected the heiress, and as the story progressed, they develop romantic feelings for each other. 

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Kdramastars

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/118075/20200610/small-screen-returns-actors-who-dominating-late-2000s-early-2010s.htm

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Looking for a K-drama bae? These handsome oppas will steal your heart

hyunbin-seojoon_IG.jpg?itok=p0K0Bs_Y

The South Korean standard of beauty for male K-pop idols is not for everyone, this we'll say. K-drama leading men are different, however.

More masculine and rugged, with some quietly gentle, they seem to get even more attractive as the years passed. 

Below, we list some of our favourite K-drama oppas, if you're looking for someone to give your heart to.

Hyun Bin

hyunbin_IG.jpg

PHOTO: Instagram/hyunbin_actor

This heart-throb has been giving us heart palpitations since he burst onto the scene with the 2005 romantic comedy series My Lovely Sam-soon.

Hyun Bin went on to star in several television series such as Secret Garden and Memories of the Alhambra. He was even in box office hits like Confidential Assignment, The Swindlers, The Negotiation (where he co-starred for the first time with Son Ye-jin) and Rampant. His 2010 film Late Autumn drew him critical praise and was screened at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival.

The dapper 37-year-old's last hit was the 2019 romance drama Crash Landing on You where he plays a charismatic and handsome North Korean army captain, and was reunited with co-star Son Ye-jin. The role also got many swooning over him and we're not surprised.

He will be seen next in the upcoming thriller-action film Bargaining, which tells the story of a kidnapping in the Middle East and the attempt to rescue the victims.

Status: Single, though there are recent rumours that he's back with his old flame Song Hye-kyo.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/looking-k-drama-bae-these-handsome-oppas-will-steal-your-heart

• Like 3