Hyun Bin 현빈 [Movies: “The Point Men”, “Confidential Assignment 2” | Upcoming: Movie “Harbin”]

Helena

7 Rom-Com K-Dramas That Surprised Us With Their Emotional Intensity

All hail the fluffy rom-com, the bread and butter of K-drama! For many of us, romantic comedy is what sucked us into Korean TV.

K-dramas excel at giving us butterflies, loading shows with cute and swoon-worthy moments we can’t help but make GIFs out of.

But lightness and fluff are only one part of what makes a rom-com great. Just as important is a deep emotional core – characters have to suffer through hard times for those sweet moments to feel meaningful. Sometimes there’s conflict in a drama from the beginning, but I love it when the angst arrives later to shake things up. In the best dramas, that tonal shift reignites our interest when things might otherwise start feeling slow. Here are seven rom-coms that took us by surprise with their emotional intensity. Prepare your lols, your uwus, and your tissues!

Warning: spoilers ahead!

4. “Secret Garden

hyun-bin-ha-ji-won.gif

In body-swap rom-com “Secret Garden,” we have endless amounts of fun watching Hyun Bin show Ha Ji Won how to put on a bra, or Ha Ji Won manspreading as she sits deep in thought. It makes no sense that their characters end up in each other’s bodies, but good sense is not what we’re here for! Their bickering, body-swapping antics add an extra sense of fun to their opposites-attract romance before the harsh reality of opposite lifestyles truly sets in. When Joo Won’s (Hyun Bin) mom opposes the star-crossed lovers, we can see the storm clouds start to gather, but when Ra Im (Ha Ji Won) ends up in an accident, all hell truly breaks loose. As a tragic new reality starts to dawn, we wonder how on earth we got here from just a few episodes ago.

ha-ji-won-hyun-bin.gif

Check out the first episode of “Secret Garden”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 2
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, elizabeth said:
Not exactly sure if this is the shooting of the drama but I just thought I’ll share if it is. 

Credits: hyunbinluv

Hi elizabeth, I guess it is....................Thanks for sharing the clip. :P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elizabeth said:

Not exactly sure if this is the shooting of the drama but I just thought I’ll share if it is. 

Credits: hyunbinluv

Think this was for a CF filming and it was yesterday.

IG holder uploaded some script reading pics today. We can see the back of his head. Presumably the person next to him is the female lead, Son Yejin. 

3 hours ago, randomlee said:

IG holder uploaded some script reading pics today. We can see the back of his head. Presumably the person next to him is the female lead, Son Yejin. 

Hi randomlee, thanks for sharing this.  Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin will be going to Switzerland end of August to mid-September to shoot scenes for their upcoming tvN drama, Crashing Landing of Love. I heard that they will film the sky-diving scenes there… or some romantic getaway for the later part of the story. Oh well, I just hope the drama is going to be good. :P

• Like 1

*** Another great news - I heard that HB is considering doing a movie with Hwang Jung Min. The movie is a political thriller called "Bargaining". He will play an NIS Agent tasked with rescuing K-hostages in the Middle East. The movie will start shooting later this year with overseas filming in Jordan. This is slated to premiere late this year, 2020. I hope this movie is good. :P

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, willenette said:

*** Another great news - I heard that HB is considering doing a movie with Hwang Jung Min. The movie is a political thriller called "Bargaining". He will play an NIS Agent tasked with rescuing K-hostages in the Middle East. The movie will start shooting later this year with overseas filming in Jordan. This is slated to premiere late this year, 2020. I hope this movie is good. :P

This is a dream pair. I love both. bring it on! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, willenette said:

Yes I am so looking forward to this movie! Such a dream team! Love both actors (of course I love Hyunbin a whole whole lot more haha). They are both good with emotions, so I can already imagine the movie delivering great tension and bringing us on a suspenseful emotional ride! Movie is directed by Director Im Soon Rae of Our Life’s Best Moments and Little Forest. This is the second time Hyunbin is acting with a good friend and sunbaenim that he hangs out with. The other is Rampant as you all would already know.

Just sharing here my tweets on the movie news.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

thanks @randomlee for sharing HyunBin's confirmation. I was actually waiting for Binnie's disposition since July 22. Now it's all set in stone :)  Got a glimpse of PD incharge and she's an all rounder (screenwriter-director-producer). not only HB x HJM dynamics i'm gonna watch out for but how the film will be from PD Yim Soonrye's perspective and style. :blink:  

A Chinese fan (菜鸟木子妈on weibo) did a Chinese translation of an interview article that appeared in Star Focus 2018 December. Though I now have bought a copy of this magazine, my Hangeul proficiency isn't good enough for me to translate the whole article from print. With her permission, I provide here my English translation of that interview article based on her Chinese translation.

Hyun Bin's Sprint for the Sake of Change

Although he is already a familiar figure, still, there is a side of him that is unfamiliar. From a swindler to a hostage terrorist, then to a prince who saved the chaotic Joseon. In less than a year, Hyun Bin has challenged a variety of characters and showed us that he is capable of limitless aura. Now he has become an actor who cannot be simply defined by a single description. Behind the gentle and calm demeanor, how many faces does he have that have not yet been revealed? Today, I met with an actor who is more adapted to change and challenges than anyone - Hyun Bin.

Hyun Bin, the man who ascended the throne in the second half of the year!

"Ah, lately, we are meeting often." He greeted me suavely. The public audience has been very happy to be treated to Hyun Bin’s recent activities. His two movies, “The Negotiation” and “Rampant” have dominated the big screen, and now he will return to the small screen and communicate closely with the audience through “Memories of the Alhambra". Hyun Bin’s opinion on acting is, “Every time I take a project, I always feel that it should be something different”. Lately, he has taken on different roles, so the audience has been treated to an interesting array of different looks. Recently, more than anyone else, Hyun Bin who has changed through different characters, what kind of year was it for Hyun Bin in 2018?

Became a prince to save his people in a chaotic era.

The production cost is 17 billion won, and the movie, "Rampant" that is known as the Joseon version of "Train to Busan", has finally unveiled its mystery. The movie depicts the bloody battle between the wicked Joseon Minister of War Kim Ja-joon (Jang Dong-gun) who wants to devour Joseon and eliminate the exiled Prince Lee Chung (Hyun Bin) against the backdrop of a spreading zombie plague. From the hanging wire gymnastics to the graceful swordsmanship, the shooting was very intense and it was also necessary to digest and execute many difficult movements. Hyun Bin recalled, "It was really great doing action scenes. There were really a lot of action scenes. Fortunately, there were no big injuries, although we (including himself) did suffer some minor injuries. The weather was also very cold and this made it very hard work. But because we had to shoot the scenes repeatedly, also for use later with the zombies, while acting, we became better and the speed of shooting became really fast."

Other than it being another challenge you want to embrace, what is the reason why Hyun Bin was attracted to this project? He pointed out that beside that this project was a reunion with the director of "Confidential Assignment", Kim Sung-hoon, who understands him and they have synergy together as they had worked together, there was also his good friend and sunbaenim, Jang Dong-gun.

"First of all, the creation of a creature film in the Joseon era is a fresh material and it gives me a sense of anticipation. Working with director of Kim Sung-hoon again after "Confidential Assignment" in 2016 also presents many benefits as the director knows me very well. Both "Rampant" and “Confidential Assignment” are entertainment films, and the director knows my inclinations and I can be more in tune with what he wants. As for Jang Dong-gun sunbaenim, I had always wanted to abandon our real life relationship and act with him at least once. So, this just happened to be a great opportunity. If it were a modern drama, I don’t know how it would turn out, but in a historical drama and wearing a beard, it felt really good (Laughs). Sunbaenim Jang Dong-gun had an air of intense power about him when he put on the 'magic robe'. In reality, when acting, he was a lot more intense than what you see on the screen.”

Hyun Bin is also very fond of the character of Li Chung. Li Chung is the second son of Li Jo who is also a general of the Qing Dynasty. Under the order of his older brother, Crown Prince Lee Young, he was safely transported to China and he left the succession line when a war broke out. However, subsequently, he returned to crisis-stricken Joseon. As he had grown up in Qing Dynasty China, he was like a stranger in his homeland and Li Chung could not integrate into Joseon society. But, challenged by the zombies and the plague they brought to Joseon, he was forced to confront the zombies and slowly, he grew in character. Hyun Bin added, "Because of his background, Li Chung did not harbour any ambition for the throne, but rather he wanted to return to the Qing Dynasty. But in the face of the crisis in Joseon, he felt the calling of his destiny and the responsibility towards the people in Joseon that was put on his shoulders. He became a symbol of hope. In the end, he wanted to create a Joseon that would be better than what it was now." Li Chung’s change is to be delivered to the audience through a very natural persuasiveness. I had to pay attention to not only the narrative, but also to the portrayal of this change in Li Chung.

"There are a lot of charming elements in the script, but I had some difficulties expressing the correct feelings. For example I thought about how I should deliver the lines. I thought since Li Chung is a person who is not passionate about Joseon, I should depart from the typical Sageuk tone. But in the latter half, it should get closer and closer to the Sageuk tone. He should also sound powerful and impactful in the latter half. It is all a deliberate change. For the hair and beard, I and the costume team also deliberated for a long time, in the end, we did away with the beard after the initial testing. Sunbaenim Jang Dong-gun asked me, “why is it that you don't have a beard?” He felt a little wronged that he was the one with a beard. “You asked me if I have the desire to play the role of a villian? If you try it, you won’t be able to say that. (laughs)"

It’s been 15 years since debut... "What is the possibility of theatre acting?” “Have been thinking!"

Hyun Bin has been active for more than 15 years since he debuted in 2003. When asked if filming a movie has become more comfortable because of the accumulation of experience, he said with a smile, "I can’t say that filming any scene has become as easy as a one shot live filming. But I also don’t think there’s a difference between acting in a movie and theatre-acting. When I was still a newcomer, I asked the sunbaenim Kim Kap Soo about the difference between theatre drama and filming a movie. I remember that he replied that 'it’s all the same, it’s still acting”. Because he has been acting for a while already, Hyun Bin is now able to understand the meaning behind what his sunbaenim said.

Since we mentioned theatre, we started talking about it. Hyun Bin started out with theatre acting during his middle school days and that was when he was attracted to acting and developed a love for acting. "Although it was not an official acting troupe, I had started participating in theatre through a drama interest group in middle school. I came to appreciate the unique charm of theatre and was always thinking about it. But, due to the long lapse of time since I last did theatre, it seems more and more difficult to get back into theatre,” Hyun Bin readily and frankly confessed what he was thinking in his heart. Hyun Bin not only likes theatre, he also likes independent movies. Having experienced working on an independent movie ‘I am Happy’ (I think this should be “Come Rain Come Shine”) in 2009, he is not afraid to take on an image-destroying role. Hyun Bin said with confidence, “I don’t think of it in this way. I don’t concern myself with whether it was a commercial work or otherwise, and there are no special standards that I use to distinguish and select works.”

Then, besides taking on acting scripts, do you have any thoughts about other areas where you want to explore? For example, recently, from the perspective of promoting movies or drama series, actors have appeared in variety shows? Although he’s often misunderstood to be a reserved man who is hard to get close to, "In fact, I am a very simple man," he laughed. Looking at a relaxed Hyun Bin who laughs readily, I can clearly see that he has other hidden charms that the public has yet to discover. However, Hyun Bin seems to disagree and he seems to be uncertain about his position regarding this.

"The people in my company have been asking me, “isn’t it better for you if you show a warmer and more intimate image?” I think as actors, it is important to show a variety of faces through our works; so right now, on this question, I am not clear about where I stand. I don’t seem to have found the correct answer. Of course, the recent trend is to have more up close and frequent communication with the audience and fans, so I think I am the only odd one out who has not figured out the way. Well, I should at least consider SNS right? Well, I really don't know myself yet. (laughs)"

Memories of the Alhambra... the continuation of taking on challenges

"The Negotiation” and "Rampant” are done and this year, Hyun Bin will return to the TV screen through Memories of the Alhambra. It is said that Hyun Bin will be the CEO of an investment company, Yoo Jinwoo who went to Granada, Spain for commercial activities, and stayed at a cheap hotel operated by Jung Heejoo (Park Shin Hye) who was formerly a guitar player, and he would later be involved in a magical event. A suspense thriller, which is centred around virtual reality (AR) games, the material in this drama is a fresh one with a new approach to filming that has not been done before and this is making the audience look forward to it.

"Whether like “Rampant" which is based on the theme of monsters or “Memories of the Alhambra”, which tells the story of virtual reality, these are stories that are far from reality. Rather than say that I am interested in such themes, I’d rather think of it as me wanting to challenge something new. There are also difficulties when filming such projects. Because such works are heavily dependent on CG, and I have to use my own imagination, there were times when I stopped for a moment and asked myself, “What am I doing?'"

In this journey where you are not afraid of challenges and change, I am curious about the kind of road you will build going forward. Hyun Bin said, “Because I am still shooting the TV series, I have not yet decided on the next step. I will not select a new work while I am still working on a project. Doing that will not only disperse my energy, it is also a lack of respect for the work being filmed. However, if you were to ask me what genre I want to do, it will be a realistic love story drama.”

"Lately, I have been thinking about acting in a realistic love story drama, because I see that in fact, this kind of theme seems to have gradually disappeared from the movie market. Diversity seems to be slowly disappearing. So, if there is a chance, right now at my age, I want to act in a realistic romance story. A real love story would be really good. Although it's hard, a very powerful action movie is also good. In fact, as long as it is something I have never done before, I have the desire to try it. While I have not yet lost interest in acting, I want to continue taking on new challenges."

As an actor, wouldn’t it be good to be in a love relationship to relieve your loneliness? “I am still too busy now!"

Is it because he has invested too much of his energy in acting? Hyun Bin revealed that he has not been pursuing any hobbies lately, and even his exercising which he loves has been put on hold because of his schedule. "When the filming is finished, I want to travel, to exercise, and to interact with people. Although I am looking forward to doing these things, you know, when it is really over, the most favourite thing I will do is to take a break and just rest”, he said, regrettably skirting the question while striking a chord with and drawing sympathy from the reporter.

The phrase "Being an actor is a lonely profession” especially resonates with Hyun Bin. He modestly explained that he has been through many tests regarding the public’s acceptance. "In fact, an actor is a profession that, regardless of the process, is ultimately to be evaluated through the final results. So it seems that as an actor I am constantly fighting and struggling. Even so, I am unable to disclose my internal struggles in detail to anyone. This is a battle with me alone," he said.

Hyun Bin said that therefore, even if he is experiencing distress such as over his drama character, he will try to solve it himself. He said, “Although I have tried looking up sunbaenims to share about my struggles, ultimately, I have to find my own way. So, I am the type that prefer to resolve my internal struggles by myself. What kind of face should I meet the audience with? This is my own topic which I have to resolve myself." Has Hyunbin considered being in a love relationship as it may help reduce the sense of loneliness as an actor? Hyun Bin waved his hand.

He said, “This is a problem related to my work. I don't know if I can solve it through love. If we are in the same profession, maybe the internal struggles can be discussed and resolved, but I guess my parents can't feel the same about my work?" “I’m also too busy lately.” Hyun Bin however, said that he gains strength and encouragement through communicating with his fans. “Before, in Japan, and within the China Circle, I would hold a fan meeting every year, and I have also held fan meetings in South Korea, but when I am too busy, I am not able to meet with my fans. It’s a pity because when I see my fans, I gain strength and motivation. At the premiere screening of my movies, my fans move faster than our actors, and the positions in the front row of the stage were all taken by them,” Hyun Bin smiled.

Although he is busy as an actor, he is also committed to cultivating the younger generation whenever he has the time. In early 2016, together with his longtime teacher, Kang Geon Tae, Hyun Bin founded his own management agency. Although it was originally a one-person management agency, the company has been recruiting younger generations of actors and now has new actors such as Kim Yun Jee, Shin Do Hyun etc. Hyun Bin said this about the operation of the management agency - "It has been good thus far and the artistes have all been doing well and the company has been making good money." He said with in an emphatic tone, “Fortunately, all the artistes in the company are now filming, and everyone is focusing on doing their own individual projects.” He said this with great satisfaction. When asked if he would personally attend the interviews to select a newcomer, he replied, “After the shortlisting and selection by my staff, they will send to me to take a look." As for me, I like people with a good personality and character. I can tell if a person has got a good personality by looking at the person. Acting skills can be developed but you can’t cultivate a good personality. Thus, it is important to select based on good character because character problems can cause big issues. I belong to the type that prefer to look at a person's humanity.”

"An actor’s job affects a lot of people, doesn’t it?” “When I am doing a project, I will be mixing with more than 100 people. An actor’s words and actions will affect all the people who work quietly in the background. In that sense, I like people of good character. Of course, the acting must basically be good too.”

Hyun Bin’s shining moments in 2018

Busily running between movies and a TV series, Hyun Bin has done a variety of genres, and taken on colourful characters in 2018. With 15 years of accumulated internal strength and experience, he has handed up stellar results for every piece of work. This year he has given us three movies and a television work with the name Hyun Bin attached to them. Let's review these works which are also very meaningful to Hyun Bin.

#BeingSexyAtAllAges. His first challenge of an antagonist role in "The Negotiation"

The public may not be familiar with Hyun Bin’s use of his eyes to overwhelm the other side. In the movie, "The Negotiation", Hyun Bin plays the role of a hostage taker who slaps you in the face without clear objectives and conditions. Of course, if you simply look at this negative character like this, it would be a big mistake. The Min Tae Gu created by Hyun Bin is different from the usual negative characters we know. He is calm, indifferent, rational, and very intelligent. More importantly, he is a three-dimensional figure who draws out your sympathies. Hyun Bin also uses this as a fulcrum for his stellar performance in “The Negotiation". In September this year, "The Negotiation" was the only modern drama among the four great masterpieces that were screened during the Chuseok period. “The Negotiation” once again proved that Hyun Bin’s skill and status has not diminished through the lapse of time.

#PrinceofDangerousJoseon He became the only savior in “Rampant”

This movie tells the story of the return of Prince Li Chung to a collapsed kingdom that is facing an intractable crisis. Prince Li Chung is a lone general battling against insurgent forces and the monsters that are plaguing Joseon. It is not easy for Prince Li Chung who grew up in Qing Dynasty China and has no affiliation for Joseon to face up to the enormous task of saving a country he has no love for. But the enterprising character eventually realises where his destiny lies and takes action to realise that destiny and assume the responsibility he is destined for. Therefore, "growth" is an important highlight in the movie. Li Chung, who was shaped by Hyun Bin, is both a problem-solver as the events uncover and the only three-dimensional messenger that brings hope to Joseon.

#OurForeverRomcomKing

When I hear the name Hyun Bin, I remember his most symbolic works - MBC’s “My name is Kim Sam Soon" (2005), KBS2’s "The World Within Us" (2008), SBS’s "Secret Garden" (2010). The commonality in all these three works is the element of romantic comedy. These works are the reason why Hyun Bin has so far been called "the king of romantic comedy.” Since his release from the army, this is the first time Hyun Bin is returning to the romantic comedy stage after a long time. This has greatly increased the expectation of TV drama fans. Especially, "Memories of the Alhambra" deals with the experimental and unique theme of augmented reality (AR), so it is a novel concept. Whether Hyun Bin will successfully respond to the two keywords - “transformation" and "change" and stand on firm footing once again remains to be seen as we sit tight in front of the home TV in December.

PS: I decided to do a translation of this interview report because the interview resonates with me as the movies mentioned are the very movies I watched after watching Memories of Alhambra which got me impressed with Hyun Bin's acting all over again. Reading this article also reminds me once again that he is an actor who loves his craft and he works painstakingly at delivering his craft to the best of his ability to the audience. He has said before that as an actor, his focus is on acting. I also felt pangs of love for him and a deep appreciation for him for the sacrifices he makes in giving great entertainment through his acting. Am really looking forward to seeing him in the upcoming Crash Landing of Love, which, going by what he has said in this interview, could be the kind of realistic love story he wanted to do. And of course, I am also definitely looking forward to his movie, “Bargaining” together with Hwang Jeong Min.

(I did not backread this thread and if this interview article has already been posted in this thread, please accept my apology.)

• Like 4

I want to correct one piece of info in my earlier post - “I am Happy” is really a separate work from “Come Rain Come Shine”. Both are independent movies (as opposed to commercial films). Read that he did both movies on a gratis basis. Shows he not only really loves acting, he also participates actively in support of the arts :blush:

• Love 1

7 hours ago, randomlee said:

I want to correct one piece of info in my earlier post - “I am Happy is really a separate work from “Come Rain Come Shine”. Both are independent movies (as opposed to commercial films). Read that he did both movies on a gratis basis. Shows he not only really loves acting, he also participates actively in support of the arts :blush:

Hi randomlee,  this was a 2009 film of HB with Lee Bo Young (wife of Ji Sung). He did this movie after "A Milionaire's First Love" & before "Come Rain Come Shine" - This movie is good... :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willenette said:

Hi randomlee,  this was a 2009 film of HB with Lee Bo Young (wife of Ji Sung). He did this movie after "A Milionaire's First Love" & before "Come Rain Come Shine" - This movie is good... :P

Thank you so much for this info! I have not watched both “ I Am Happy” and “A Millionaire’s First Love” and would definitely want to..only problem is, I don’t know where to find them :cry:. I know I have exhausted everything that I can get my hands on; so I am pretty sure I don’t know how to have access to these two movies. 

13 hours ago, randomlee said:

Thank you so much for this info! I have not watched both “ I Am Happy” and “A Millionaire’s First Love” and would definitely want to..only problem is, I don’t know where to find them :cry:. I know I have exhausted everything that I can get my hands on; so I am pretty sure I don’t know how to have access to these two movies. 

Hi randomlee, you may try YesAsia....................or Ebay.................. :P

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, randomlee said:

hello @randomlee here's link of I Am Happy. Would appreciate if you could share your grade for Binnie's acting ;) 

<http://www.gooddrama.to/korean-movie/i-am-happy-movie>

On 8/8/2019 at 7:17 AM, randomlee said:

You can watch A Millionaire’s First Love here, https://www13.watchasian.co/drama-detail/a-millionaires-first-love

P.S. sorry Admin if this link is considered illegal. You may please remove it. 

• Like 1