Hyun Bin 현빈 [Movies: “The Point Men”, “Confidential Assignment 2” | Upcoming: Movie “Harbin”]

Helena

Dramamilk did a review of Hyun Bin’s romantic dramas. The link is here and I have reproduced the content as well. Enjoy! My favorite romance drama of his is also My Name is Kim Sam Soon, followed by Secret Garden though I first got to know him through Secret Garden.  And I like Worlds Within. It is a very realistic drama and his character Ji-oh sunbae is a very relatable character. In my opinion, Hyde, Jekyll and Me is still watchable as he is  the most handsome as his character Robin in it (to me).

https://www.dramamilk.com/5-romantic-korean-dramas-to-watch-with-hyun-bin-and-3-to-avoid/

5 Romantic Korean Dramas to Watch With Hyun Bin (and 3 to Avoid)

VNovember 14, 2019

Hyun Bin’s newest romance, Crash Landing on You is right around the corner so we looked up Hyun Bin’s Korean drama repertoire and realized that he is quite the romantic genre magnet. Almost every Korean drama he has been in has been a romance (I will section off Memories of the Alhambra because I consider that more as a fantasy with a romance added to it).

On this list we have a woman trying to find her family and finding love (Ireland), a noona baker and a cheeky billionaire falling in love (My Lovely Sam Soon), a mathematician boxer and his lover (Snow Queen), two drama crew members falling in love (Worlds Within), an ambitious gangster movie remake (Friend, Our Legend), body swap hijinks (Secret garden), same body hijinks (Hyde, Jekyll, Me), and an augmented reality game from hell (Memories of the Alhambra).

5 ROMANTIC KOREAN DRAMAS TO WATCH WITH HYUN BIN

Ireland

Hyun Bin in his first big role as a second lead! Consequently, his last second lead role as he went straight to lead man status after this with My Lovely Sam Soon(also known as My Name is Kim Sam Soon). 

Ireland is about a Korean-Irish woman who was adopted to Ireland as a baby. She goes back to Korea to find her family. So lots of old school heart tugging in this show with second-hand embarrassing clothing and hair thrown in. 

In all actuality, this show is so old that it might be a pain to sit through. I watched it way back in 2009 or 2010, so it wasn’t too old back then, but even so, it still feltold. It felt so old that it may as well have been classified as a historical. So imagine what it would feel like now! 

I am also not sure if I finished this drama. For that reason I will have to say this one is a pass unless you are an avid Hyun Bin fan. Then definitely watch to see him get his second lead heart broken; it’s the only time you can see it!

Verdict: Pass unless you love Hyun Bin

My Lovely Sam Soon

The biggest hit show of the decade quit possibly. I think this drama was so popular that everyone on the cast got invited to the Blue House to meet the president, seriously. 

My Lovely Sam Soon is a noona romance that was touted as Korea’s version of Bridget Jones Diary when it came out and was so popular that it was insane. I am not joking, it got 51.5% ratings for the finale which means that literally half of Korea was watching this show! 

And I can understand why because I was absolutely taken with it when I started watching it back in 2009 or 2010. I was obsessed and thought this drama was the best thing ever. I think I rewatched it 3 or 4 times all the way through? Maybe more than that, I loved it that much.

I think this TV show suffers from the same issues that Ireland does, in that it will feel like a historical drama of 2005, but the story was so great and the music and show itself are so fun that I say it is a definite watch. 

I don’t even think this show had the second half pain that a lot of Kdramas have nowadays. It had a twist to keep you interested, but it was a very reasonable twist. Oh, this show also has the first appearance of Daniel Henney into Dramaland, so thank you, show.

Verdict: Definite watch

The Snow Queen

5 Romantic Korean Dramas to Watch With Hyun BinPin this image on Pinterest

If you want to see Hyun Bin mope around for 16 hours, then Snow Queen is the show for you. It is such a wet blanket fest that it is almost like he was so tired of all the happy go luckiness positive Sam Soon energy that he just wanted to try something new and went all the way to depressing tin-man-without-a-heart land. 

If I remember right, it is about a math genius who has a deep pain that turns him to boxing? Though I think he heals himself through the love of a good woman who also has a painful past? It is something like that. All I remember about it is a mannequin looking Hyun Bin standing and staring at things.

Verdict: Pass

Worlds Within

There are two camps with the drama The Worlds Within, the camp that loved the behind the scenes look at meta jokes of a film crew creating a drama within a drama, and the camp that was so bored they passed out. I am in the later camp, which was such a pity! 

I love both these actors and expected to love this drama. But it just did not catch my attention. But I think it is still a drama that should be watched just to see if it is your style. 

Plus it sparked a two year romance between the two leads that was one of the biggest breakups of its time. Though, honestly, all of Song Hye-kyo’s breakups are huge news.

Verdict: Worth checking out

Friend, Our Legend

If you have never seen the explosively good cultural phenomenon movie Chingu(aka Friend) that sparked a slew of movie quotes and iconic scenes, then I think you will like this drama. But if you saw Chingu, especially at the culturally appropriate moment, then you might not like this drama remake of it. I mean it is the movie that shot Jang Don-gun to iconic super stardom.

I saw the movie Chingu and saw most of this drama adaptation and, I got to say, I definitely liked the movie a lot better than the drama. But I think the drama was good as well. 

It was well shot and well acted and had good reviews for everyone who watched the show all the way through. The only thing it suffered from is that the movie was so iconic that they were basically shooting themselves in the foot by making this drama. 

This drama is one of the rare, non-romance dramas that Hyun Bin has done, so it is worth checking out for that.

Verdict: Worth the watch

Secret Garden

A fantasy-romance that is obsession worth and the biggest drama hit of the year, the year it came out and possibly the next year as well. It solidified itself as Hyun Bin’s second mega success at 35% ratings Nationwide and shot him to the super star status that he still enjoys now, which is good after three ratings flops in a row with his previous three dramas. 

I was so obsessed with this show back in the day that I made three fan made music videos for them (here, here, and here!). It was something else, I just fell so hard for it. 

But the love started to fade around the 10 episode mark and I don’t even think I watched the finale? it was one of those things were I kind of fast forwarded through it just to see what happened. I think it was the repetitiveness of the plot after episode 8 that just had me looking at my watch while watching. 

But, the beginning is still a love and it maintained a love for a lot of people, so worth checking out.

Verdict: Worth checking it out, you might love it.

Hyde, Jekyll, Me

Hyde, Jekyll, and Me is Hyun Bin’s comeback drama after military service, so it was about as high profile as you can get (especially because Hyun Bin’s military service somehow stayed Nationwide news for the entire 2 years he was there). 

I started watching this show because it was Hyun Bin’s comeback and for some reason stopped watching it. Korea felt the same way because the ratings started at a respectable 10% but dropped to 4% by the finale. Though that is definitely not a reason for you to skip it. 

If you like zany shows that are more on the zany side, then check it out, you may enjoy it.

Verdict: You might like it

Memories of the Alhambra

Memories of the Alhambra made our list of Rage Worthy Dramas to not watch, so there’s that. But I do want to say that everyone should at least check this show out for the special effects alone. 

The first 4 episodes were riveting and the show continued to surprise with the augmented reality game throughout its airing. Though in the third act, it did start to make no sense at all and the final episode was a big ol, say what? But the ratings did stay in the respectable range on tvN at around 10%.

Verdict: Watch at your own risk

BONUS

Crash Landing on You

This is in the bonus category because it has not aired yet and actually, the airing date in the end of November got pushed to December. So who knows when it will air. 

But with all that said, I am pretty excited for Crash landed on You, not only because it has Hyun Bin and Son Yejin in it, but also because it is by the writer of My Love From Another Star, so you know it will be quirky. 

Their character descriptions are also pretty fun because they both are at the top of their game in their lives. He is a major player in the North Korea military with a very good life ahead of him and she is basically living a life close to royalty in South Korea. When they meet, I expect their lives will be flipped upside down. Hopefully we will all feel flipped right with them! 

Verdict: Watch it, of course!

So which shows do you think you will watch on this list? Of these I would say that my heart still goes to My Lovely Sam Soon. Though I need to rewatch it to see if it is still holding up to the time. I think the last time I watched it was 4 years or so ago. Though I do think I have listened to the soundtrack within the last year. Ah, it is just such a fun happy drama. Hopefully Crash Landing on You go more that route!

• Like 2

https://www.kstarlive.com/news/2019/11/21/five-korean-male-actors-who-successfully-played-iconic-north-korean-roles-in-films-301458/leS7AwBVMF7HLkBD

(reproduced portion on Hyun Bin’s portion)

Five Korean Male Actors Who Successfully Played Iconic North Korean Roles

large_5ebdc15ce9501bae7b023ffd2dabe21b3897e676.jpeg

What's your favorite movie genre?

One of the popular Korean movie genres is probably those that include North Korean issues. Little known to the South Korean public, North Korea is a popular yet interesting topic many movie producers use to make their movies mysterious and interesting. North Korea and South Korea share similar yet different languages, cultures, and other features. Such differences make it very challenging for actors to perfectly fit themselves into characters from North Korea. However, we all know those who have done it successfully. 

Here are five top Korean actors who played North Korean roles and perfectly nailed it.

Hyun Bin as Im Cheolryung in 'Confidential Assignment' 

1574319987679-1574319987679.png1574320011722-1574320011722.png1574320024352-1574320024352.png

https://www.kstarlive.com/news/2019/11/27/6-male-celebs-with-ethereal-visuals-who-once-said-that-they-are-not-that-handsome-304328/QQSY0AEzRh3H6j8E

6 Male Celebs with Ethereal Visuals Who Once Said That They are Not That Handsome

(Hyun Bin’s part reproduced below)

Hyun Bin 

1574838284616-0.jpg

Image Source: tvN

Hyun Bin is famous for his masculine face that millions of women fall in love with. However, the actor revealed, "I look at myself in the mirror hundreds of times every day because I am an actor but I have never thought that I am handsome."

(ps - actually he has stopped saying that alr..he has finally come to terms with reality :lol: )

• Like 2
  • Love 1

https://www.dramamilk.com/the-highest-rated-korean-dramas-of-2019/

Dramamilk published a list of the highest rated Korean dramas of 2019 and Memories of the Alhambra came in at no.7.

Memories of the Alhambra portion reproduced below.

7. Memories of the Alhambra

Memories of the Alhambra The Highest rated Korean Dramas of 2019Pin this image on Pinterest

Peak ratings: 10% (cable)

Premise: A CEO of an investment company that specializes in gaming and optical devices, purchases an Augmented Reality game the like he has never seen before. However, playing the game becomes more real than anyone could ever realize.

Our thoughts: The augmented reality game was riveting. The opening episodes that introduced the game and the stakes were amazingly done. But then it started getting lost in this love story that didn’t need to be included at all. Whenever the game is on the screen, this show is aces. Whenever it isn’t, the show falters. The romance made me want to throw something.

How to watch: Netflix

The Korean dramas in higher positions are:

6. The Last Empress

5. Hotel Del Luna 

4. Liver or Die

3. Fiery Priest

2. When Camelia Blooms

1. Sky Castle

I think Hyun Bin has gained many more new fans after Memories of the Alhambra and that’s the greatest takeaway or the most positive outcome of the drama as far as I am concerned. He also showed his existing fans like me a whole new high level of handsomeness, irresistible charm with a more mature look and great acting skills! Thanks to Memories of the Alhambra there are now a lot more fans looking forward to Crash Landing on You together :blush:

• Like 3

First, some screencaps of Hyun Bin in the latest teaser of Crash Landing on You. I really love Hyun Bin’s eye acting. His gaze is so irresistible, you can’t not fall in love with him :wub:

UPpOpf2.png

Next, here’s a recording of VAST’s insta story of Hyun Bin at the Olive Young Mediheal fansign event today.

Another clip of the event - this should be after the Fansign.  

More pics and a clip of him arriving at and leaving the venue of the fansign event in spoiler.

Spoiler

Next, in the recent interview of Lee Jae Wook (he was Marco in Memories of the Alhambra and he also acted in the dramas www and Extraordinary You), Hyun Bin was mentioned. This is my translation of the part where he mentioned Hyun Bin.

“Regarding his journey into acting, Lee Jae Wook said, “I can only say that I am lucky. It is not that I chose to go into projects, I merely chose to participate in auditions”. My first audition was "Memories of the Alhambra". After passing the auditions, the company (referring to VAST) also took me in.  Although I don’t know if Hyun Bin was involved in the auditions or had spoken about me internally, I heard that every time he is in the company, he would ask, 'is he doing well?'  He is a senior I am really thankful to have.  Whenever I see his face in the movie theaters or in advertisements, I will feel very amazed.  In person, he is even more handsome. The first time I greeted him after entering the company, I felt really overwhelmed, he speaks in a very gentle voice and looks so awesome.  “I think it's better to express that I'm in love with him," he said, expressing his infinite affection for Hyun Bin.” (Me: yes, yes, we feel you Actor Jae Wook!)

The full article is here:

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0003503103

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Fellow Hyun Bin fans,

Memories of the Alhambra got onto the final list of 8 Best Korean Dramas in 2019. Please vote for it to be the Top Drama for 2019. Voting starts today and it will run till 30 December 23:59 KST. 1 vote per IP address per day. Here’s the link to vote:

http://www.koreandrama.org/the-best-korean-drama-of-2019/

• Like 1

qa7iCUb.jpg

“<2010's Best 10-Drama> Coming from “The Star”, to the “Secret” fun..Global fans “Reply”

South Korea is known as the 'Drama Republic'. More than 20 dramas are aired every week, and you can watch them anytime you turn on the TV. Through this, one smiles and another tears. The 2010s are no exception. Numerous dramas have been made, and numerous stars have been born. The pop culture team of the Munhwa Ilbo selected 10 best dramas that heated up the 2010-2019 period , based on ratings, headlines and expert recommendations.“

Secret Garden is selected as one of the ten.

Source: https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20191204112529008

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

On 12/9/2019 at 11:52 PM, KimSooHanMoo said:

Uri handsome Hyun Bin at the press conference of Crash Landing on You today.

Reveal hidden contents

xTV5b5O.png

Hi KimSooHanMoo, thanks for sharing the pictures during presscon. :P The 16-episode drama will air every Saturday and Sunday on tvN at 9 p.m. starting this week. It will be released simultaneously on Netflix. :P

MORE -

20191209000672_0.jpg

Picture credit : Korea Herald

• Like 1
  • Love 1

*** I can't wait too see this. :P

Hyun Bin And Son Ye Jin Have A Heart-Stopping First Encounter In “Crash Landing On You”

080b183aa684484ebd3869603f41adc5.jpeg?s=

tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” released new stills of Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin ahead of its premiere date!

This upcoming romantic comedy tells the story of wealthy South Korean heiress Yoon Se Ri (played by Son Ye Jin), who lands in North Korea after a paragliding accident, and North Korean officer Ri Jung Hyuk (played by Hyun Bin), who falls in love with her while hiding and protecting her.

In the first episode, Yoon Se Ri and Ri Jung Hyuk will have their dramatic first encounter. The unveiled stills show Ri Jung Hyuk staring in bewilderment at a dirt-covered Yoon Se Ri whose hair is a tangled mess. After realizing she is in North Korea, she attempts to escape, and tension increases as he goes after her.

The unexpected landing heralded the start of a strange relationship between the two, raising hopes for an unpredictable romance ahead.

hyun-bin-son-ye-jin.jpg

“Crash Landing on You” premieres on December 14 at 9 p.m. KST. Check out the preview here!

Source (1) / soompi news

• Like 1
  • Love 1

*** It is the second time that he has taken the role of a North Korean following the action film "The Confidential Assignment" some year ago.  "Crash Landing on You" has attracted media attention for months as it marks HB and SYJ second collaboration after "The Negotiation" last year. :P

• Love 1

Handsome Actors Who Refuse To Acknowledge Their Good Looks

Some handsome people don’t realize how attractive they are.

Although it’s humble of them, it’s kind of frustrating when they refuse to admit they’re good-looking even though they look like characters who ripped themselves out of a manhwa (comic book).

Here are a few Korean actors who don’t believe they’re attractive:

Hyun Bin

hyun-bin-3.jpg

Last but not least, there’s Hyun Bin who is pretty much at the top of the list of handsome Korean actors. However, during the press conference for his movie “A Millionaire’s First Love,” he commented, “While acting, I see my face in the mirror hundreds of times, but I’ve never thought I was good-looking.”

Hyun Bin will once again capture your heart with his talented acting skills and handsome looks in the upcoming drama “Crash Landing on You” that will premiere on December 14 at 9 p.m. KST. Check out the latest teaser here!

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 1
  • Love 1

“Crash Landing On You” Tops Rankings Of Most Buzzworthy Dramas And Actors

d9482900e89446fdb8248a5c7cf2d211.jpeg?s=

On December 17, Good Data Corporation shared the weekly rankings of the most popular dramas and cast members who have generated the most buzz over the past week. The company analyzed news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media from December 9 to 15 for 21 dramas that are currently airing or are set to air.

Taking first place as the most buzzworthy drama was tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” with the leads Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin also taking first and second place respectively in the list of most buzzworthy actors.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. tvN “Crash Landing on You” – 23.6 percent
  2. SBS “Stove League” – 15.84 percent
  3. SBS “VIP” – 12.05 percent
  4. JTBC “Chocolate” – 5.4 percent
  5. TV Chosun “Queen: Love and War” – 5.22 percent
  6. tvN “Catch the Ghost” – 5.15 percent
  7. KBS2 “Woman of 9.9 Billion” – 5.11 percent
  8. JTBC “Chief of Staff” Season 2 – 4.78 percent
  9. KBS2 “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” – 3.65 percent
  10. tvN “Psychopath Diary” – 3.65 percent

Buzzworthy-dramas.png

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. Son Ye Jin (“Crash Landing on You”)
  2. Hyun Bin (“Crash Landing on You”)
  3. Jang Nara (“VIP”)
  4. Pyo Ye Jin (“VIP”)
  5. Namgoong Min (“Stove League”)
  6. Lee Sang Yoon (“VIP”)
  7. Ha Ji Won (“Chocolate”)
  8. Seo Hyun Jin (“Black Dog”)
  9. Jo Yeo Jeong (“Woman of 9.9 Billion”)
  10. Jin Se Yeon (“Queen: Love and War”)

Buzzworthy-actors.png

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Here Are The TOP 25 Best Actors In Korea For 2019, Voted By Koreans

Here’s who Koreans think are the best actors.

Gallup Korea has released their 2019 rankings for the best drama actors and actresses in 2019, as voted by Koreans.

19 – tie. Song Joong Ki

19 – tie. Suzy

18. Jang Na Ra

16 – tie. Hyun Bin

16 – tie. Son Ye Jin

15. Han Ji Min

14. Choi Soo Jong

12 – tie. Choi Myung Gil

12 – tie. Kim Hae Sook

10 – tie. Choi Bool Am (Numerous Dramas and Variety Shows)

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Koreaboo

LINK to see the FULL list : https://www.koreaboo.com/news/top-25-best-actors-in-korea-2019-voted-koreans/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

*** The highly anticipated "Crash Landing on You" hits 6.8 percent. :P

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Dec. 9-15, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

Saturday, Dec. 14      
Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life 45 KBS 19.5%
Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life 46 KBS 23.2%
No Second Chances 25 MBC 7.5%
No Second Chances 26 MBC 9.9%
No Second Chances 27 MBC 9.9%
No Second Chances 28 MBC 11.3%
Stove League 2 SBS 7.8%
Chocolate 6 JTBC 4.2%
Crash Landing on You 1 tvN 6.1%
Sunday, Dec. 15      
Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life 47 KBS 23.7%
Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life 48 KBS 27.0%
Crash Landing on You 2 tvN 6.8%

(skipped unrelated.)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-dec-9-15-2019/

• Like 1
  • Love 1