Soompi Archive!

I wasn't sure where to post this but since this forum's description says "ABOUT SOOMPI!!!" I'll just post it here (please move if it needs to be somewhere else.. ^^)

I just wanted to share some nostalgia, esp since Soompi's 14th anniversary is coming up in about a month or so.. ^__^Y

soompi.png

old school soompi!! :)

You can check out this archive - it has soompi snapshots all the back to 2003

I forgot that we used to have a "bad day" and "clans" forum.. :P

If you look at the 2003 stats, soompi only had 8000+ soompi users, and now in 2012 we have well over 300K users. We've come a long way :D someone should do a soompi timelne hehe . including the soompi 2005 crash (anyone renember that?)

anywho, hope you have a fun trip down memory lane like i did !!

i'd love to hear your stories as a soompier.. :) (how you got here, memorable moments, etc)

that was the layout when i first came here : )

i just turned into a teen then...and now i'm not a teen anymore lol

i was looking for boa stuff because this one boa site was shutting down and soompi had a file sharing topic then lol

Whoa, Soompi had 'homework help' and 'philosophy and religion'?! It would have been great if they kept 'philosophy and religion'. Though controversial, I think it would have been thought-provoking and could have provided some knowledge, enlightenment, mental stimulation, or what have you. Soompi should re-open it or create something similar like a 'speech and debate' forum haha.

Guest knockblock

Ahhhhhh, I remember some of the sections that formerly existed. Like the lyrics section for one. I can't recall the philosphy and religion section because I don't think I paid too much attention. I'm not sure if it was around when I joined. Then a few other sections I can only vaguely remember. All this along with the old look and layout.

The Soompi crash in 2005. Oh I remember. What can I say? That's where it all started. The amazing years on the forums that transpired took off from there.

I look at old posts from back then in that archive. It's amusing to see what people said back then. I see posters from way back when. Some who are still around to this day :) . Then those who are gone :( .

This is history. It's amazing. Great to relive old memories.

I got my story. I'll tell about it. Right after this post.

Guest ichigo_no_powder

Whoa, Soompi had 'homework help' and 'philosophy and religion'?! It would have been great if they kept 'philosophy and religion'. Though controversial, I think it would have been thought-provoking and could have provided some knowledge, enlightenment, mental stimulation, or what have you. Soompi should re-open it or create something similar like a 'speech and debate' forum haha.

based on what I've seen in the current events forum I for one am very glad that the philosophy and religion forum is no longer available. I don't think soompi is quite ready to have enlighting yet respectful debates just quite yet ;)

I went on the old soompi trying to look for my old posts. I can't believe I've been with this forum for so long.

And I definitely remember the 2005 crash. It caused so many....I guess member war? I just remember that many people lost their original member number from the crash so they were really angry that the "newer member" (at the time) had a lower member number than them because everyone had to register again after the crash. It even escalated to people using cached shots of their old member number to show how long they've been on Soompi. Does anyone else remember this?

I don't remember that! seriously? that is so silly

Guest hunterheart

Ahhhh old soompi. I can't track my old posts and stuff :( I was never really active. I was xdevastated_angelx eek. I remember back in the day, random members would always send me a happy birthday message by PM. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Guest ichigo_no_powder

^ haha I just noticed that it no longer displays our member number.

I remember the birthday messages too! wow that's another item I didn't notice is no longer available.

I remember when it was soompitown, and before the format of the forum was changed (or what it looked like to me, because I was still a newbie in *any* forum), it was a little hard to read because of the way things were posted--I don't remember what the forum layout was called (outline, maybe? >< It looked like a weirdly-shaped s-line) but I don't know if it started out that way--or I just didn't know how to make it look like this >< I surfed here until I joined in late 2002, 2003.

edit- lost the rest of my post again -.-

^ Boa brought me here too! -yayforboafans-

And I definitely remember the 2005 crash. It caused so many....I guess member war? I just remember that many people lost their original member number from the crash so they were really angry that the "newer member" (at the time) had a lower member number than them because everyone had to register again after the crash. It even escalated to people using cached shots of their old member number to show how long they've been on Soompi. Does anyone else remember this? :lol:

Omg where did that come from? I honestly didn't remember that. Wow, people are just so dedicated to their post counts ahahs. Yeah, I remember reading the fictions as well blush.gif I think posting fan fics on the main site would grab more attention to the writers but I remember the writers strongly disagreeing with the artworks and fanfictions section being unprotected to non-members.

Anyways, I miss the old soompi, but it's really nice to know a lot of people from back then are still here!

Oh my gosh. This brings back so much memories XD I'm always at the fanfic section and I think I read like 90% of the fanfics, or at least most of the Shinhwa fanfics found on that page lol. I was in 6th grade back then and got scared really easily. There was this extremely pale white, photoshopped banner of a guy (I don't know who but it was at the fanfic section. I thought it could be MinWoo but I don't know) but it creeped me out so badly I NEVER look at it. I always scroll down really fast to avoid him. I think it was just the photoshopping that scared me out cause he was so so so pale (at least from what I remember). Reminds me of a ghost and well, I'm such a scaredy-cat XD I was new to the K-pop scene too! I think that was the only thing I didn't like about the old soompi.

I liked the media/gallery section too. It's where I first put a face to MinWoo and Eugene/SES. ^^ So funny I had no idea who were the three at the top banner but now it's so easy to name them. *sighs*

^ Was it that one picture of Woohyuk?! hahahaha... I remember having to wait for pics (in people's sigs) to load up when trying to scroll through threads like Chocolates & Rain to see if the writer updated. Whoever had that Woohyuk sig used to post all the time so I'll always remember that picture/signature. Fun times.

Edit: whoops, I thought you meant banner like someone's signature ^^;;

Guest illumine*

I remember that old layout, the old published fanfix section, the random "happy birthday!" greets from members, the crash... I still recognize old usernames from each section way back then, too! I frequented Soompi since I was a pre-teen (way past adolescence now, lol)! I guess you can say I grew up with the forum. Where else would I have learned about magical world of K-pop if not for this site? ^_^ Aw, that suddenly makes me nostalgic...

starforme, ahh no, I don't think it was a signature. I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually. It's one of the banners at the top like the BoA+FTTS one but I have no idea who the guy is since I was a K-pop newb back then. I just remember thinking he looks too pale like a ghost lOl ooh Chocolates & Rain...but didn't the author never finished that story? That's why I never read it because it was incompleted XD

Guest knockblock

First thing I say when I look back at the old days is, I miss the old Soompi. Those years were great times. It's different to today. A lot has changed. There's a part of me that's sad, and another part of me that's joyous. Knowing how much has changed, having seen so much, there are times when I lose what I used to feel about the place before. But that shouldn't take away what I've made during my time in this place. I found a wonderful part of myself since I first came here. With a bit of inspiration, I gained something large. So I reflect on what has been a marvelous run in all the years I've been on Soompi.

It felt like so long ago when the forum had its most magical years. As a matter of fact..... that WAS a long time ago. Almost hard to believe how long that's been. That was so long ago. Those days are fading further away into the distance. They become more and more of a distant memory. I remember it like yesterday. Many people feel that the years 2006-2007 were the best years on Soompi. You had to be there. You had to be around during those years to know why people believe that. I'll say that I'm one of them. Especially for 2006 in particular. Loved the way things were then. Good time back in 2006.

A lot of good memories around here. I've been a part of many forums. When I go to most other forums, they feel like just some place I'm going to. When I come to Soompi, it feels like something more. I remember when I was relatively new, Soompi was beginning to be something that was just part of my life. And then as time went on some more, Soompi played a bigger role in my life.

When I joined Soompi I was 19. I'm 25 now. My joined date also happens to be the day that is my birthday. I joined in 2005. This place and one other forum are the only two places I can say I have enjoyed a lot. The only two places I can say I felt great about, grow up on, and have wonderful history with. Now I was a member before the crash. But it was only for a short period of time. My true first time joining Soompi was in the summer of 2005. I was under a different name. That's all long gone. So the crash happened. I registered again. I'm the username that I am today.

Many found their way here because of K-pop. While others through other means. I almost forget why and how I came here. I got here because of K-pop. The artist I had a liking to was Hyori Lee. I liked Hyori Lee. She was (and still is) very pretty and full of awesomeness. I can say I was one of her many fanboys back in the day. What guy didn't like Hyori Lee? It was hard not to like her. Even if you didn't, you knew there was something amazing about her. I'd take her in a heartbeat. Before coming to Soompi I was on another forum. And before that, I had previously found my interest in K-pop because of the channel that used to be known as the International Channel (which is defunct). Anyways, so I was on that forum I mentioned. I saw a poster show a gif of her. One other poster asked that poster who showed the Hyori Lee gif. I forgot exactly what was said but I do remember it was something like "You know her? Are you into Hyori Lee too? Cool" type of response and asked him where he found the gif. Then that one poster who showed the gif answered him and mentioned Soompi telling about it. I thought it was cool too to see someone who knew Hyori Lee and was into her, and show the gif. Thanks to that person I decided to look more into Hyori Lee stuff, and with him having spoke of Soompi I decided to check it out. Which lead to me finding this place. Then the day I first came to Soompi began.

So I said I joined this place in the summer of 2005. Glad I joined at that time. Before joining I checked out and discovered the atmosphere here and it felt great. It felt inspiring to be around. I would learn about many of the sections that were around. The forum looked very lively and fun to be a part of. Thereafter, I registered as a member. I found my way in what I got out of coming to Soompi. The things I got out of coming to Soompi was many experiences. Those that include subject of interests, other posters, and everything I could build on. I will say though that I didn't take my experience here that seriously during that point in time. Not until the after the crash happened.

With the database resetting and the forums having a fresh new start after the crash, that's where I took my experience here more seriously and made the best of myself as a poster. For a period of time I would go on to enjoy the best years I've had on Soompi. I kept up to date with Hyori Lee stuff and what's going on with her. Along with other artists. I would learn more about K-pop to what I had known prior to coming here. Then life here also became something more. My activity on Soompi expanded to other things aside from K-pop. I became active in sections from what I was able to get out of threads of interest. I ventured to more sections as I found my way here. Through the years I got to be acquainted with forum members and know what I was able to know about them. Places like the 411, the art, and performers section were good places for that. Then there were other sections too, where I also spend time at and become familiar with forum members. There were many fun moments. The forum was really enjoyable for a certain amount of time. Throughout the years things change and develope. My interest in K-pop died down over the years. I haven't kept up with too many K-pop related stuff in quite a long time. I also discovered things in and around my life that helped changed me. I was a different person a long time ago. I became an even better person as I grew up here. There is one poster I am glad I met. Someone who over the years I became fond of.

Thinking about it, I don't know if I would last as long as I have if I didn't have what I have. If I didn't have someone I looked up to. Someone who has a role in making me be the best person I can be. I give a lot of credit to him. My favorite member is someone I have quite a history with. His name is Take Five. He is the poster I think very well of and deeply respect from the bottom of my heart. Take Five has given me some of the most memorable moments I've had on this forum. A lot of good moments were with him. In one of my earliest encounters with him, he was saying something and I thought he was mocking me. That made me pay attention to him more. At first he provoked me. Then that changed. Whatever I might of thought of him at first, my stance changed. Something developed. I noticed him more. I understood him better as I got to know him more. I saw the good things about him. He was good natured fellow. I also saw that he sometimes says things for fun. There have been plenty of times where has teased me, but I know he is just playing. I saw how fun he was to have around. The years went on, I came to enjoy Take Five and would have something going with him. He's helped me many times when I had a question to something. When he's had a question to something I help him too when I can. He has amused me tons of times or even make me laugh. I've also amused him and make him laugh. We've talked a lot and know each other in the anime, manga, and video games section. What I feel about Take Five is even deeper. I remember when I wanted to catch up to him in posts count. I made the effort and got myself to do well on the forums. To be the best poster I can be. That included catching up to him experience wise. There was also something about Take Five that gave me pause to wonder, what is it about him that make me feel certain ways? Over the years I feel like this has grown into something big personally. He inspires me. Take Five brings the best out of me. And I think I bring the best out of him. As the years continue to go by more I think of what he is to me after all these times.

Today's date, as I post this, was the same date on the same day back in 2006. It's a leap year. The calendar in 2006 didn't have a leap day. There was no 29th back then. The 29th will be present this time around (on a Wednesday). So anyway, the dates for 2012 are on the same day as they were in 2006, from January to February. You might be asking "what about it?" as you see this. Just pointing something out. I thought it helps with bringing nostalgia. Around this time 6 years ago Soompi was really awesome. Again, as I was saying, you had to be here at the time, when the forum was lively and real nice. To feel what it was like back then. Why do many people feel the forum in 2006-2007 was great? I'd say it was because threads were very fun to read at the time. Personally I got a lot out of the forums myself. It was really fun. People were more exciting or even friendlier then. Posters back at the time were why the forums was really enjoyable. Another thing is a lot of people who came since that time were younger back then. Which I guess is why people would feel the way they do. I guess it's because people were younger at the time. When you're younger and discover new things that fascinate you, things feel magical. Things felt magical to me at the time because that's when I was younger. Not just on the internet but also outside of it and things around my personal life. It was a time where I was discovering things and still have a lot more to learn heading into the adulthood stage. I was in a stage where I'm in transition. Searching for my life. Finding out who I am as a person. Many people from that time are older now and have grown up. Anyway, getting back to what made the forum great a long time ago. When I think of the best years of Soompi, I think of 2006. 2006 up until somewhere in 2007. During those years the forums had plenty of wonderful things to see. I'll never forget how exciting things were at the time. There were threads that amused people, or even made them laugh. The way the atmosphere was showed signs that posters had a blast. The forum was very different back then. Through all these years I also got be familiar with members, and some I know more of. All of these experiences I gained on Soompi made me glad I came here. I felt like I found a place here. I enjoyed what was some of the best days in my life. Days that I won't forget. I'll never forget the old Soompi.

Having not been into K-pop in a long time I almost forget why I came here. I still remember what got me here for the most part. I also found more in coming here and getting more out of the forums as I expanded my purpose further. I haven't forgotten my obsession with Hyori Lee back in the day. I check up on what is going on with her nowadays, along with other artists and the like. I see that Hyori has matured and become a really good person. Which makes me glad. I got to witness Hyori Lee earlier in her career and see what she is like in the latest parts of her career. She never fails to amaze me. I always liked Hyroi Lee. Being here for so long I now know what I make of the experience I created here. The older I got the more I knew. I learn how things change. I saw how the forums slowly change over the years. The place is different. Outside of the internet things around my life were changing. I saw more of what I didn't see about myself before. I dug deeper. I learned how sad things can be in life. I found out what my personal regrets were and what is important to me. Things that I can also build on. So when I view what value I have from being here, I view it the same as what I do in my personal life outside of the internet.

We're all just a bunch of strangers to each other here on the forums. Many of us don't really know each other. If we come to know each other more, something might build. I built a connection with certain members. Those who I had something going with, what are they to me? What am I to them? Something that keeps me wondering is, have I seen the last of certain posters? That crosses my mind. There are members who I've seen in the past that used to be here. I think of saying hi to them. There are those who used to be here, who were a pleasure to see and know. I'm not just saying that because they're gone. I miss seeing those who used to be here who I like. Have I seen the last of them? I hope I haven't seen the last of them. Those who I think good of or have even pleasant memories with, if I never seem them again I'm going to miss them even more. When I think of what it means and what the people I've gotten to know here are to me, I think of it as something that's a pleasure. I'd like to call them friends. That's what they are to me. I'll be glad to say there is a friendship made. Then there are also other people who I could possibly do the same with as well. Those who I'm getting to know too. I hope I get the chance to say to those that I had things going with that we're friends. I want to say to those that I can that we were friends. Take Five has been a big impact on me personally. I call him a friend. That's what he is to me after all these years with all the memories I've had with him. I guess for some people, they have that one person in their life who makes them want to do better and well as a person. I'll say Take Five has been that for me. He is a big component to me enjoying staying at Soompi. I acknowledge him. I don't know if he feels the same way about me. Even if I were to not see him anymore I'll still carry the memories I have with him. Take Five will always be my favorite Soompier. What I had growing with him in all my time here will be forever linked.

No matter how much has changed on Soompi I'll still like this place. I've come too far to want to quit on this forum. Getting to know people around here and learning things is what made the experience staying here special. Making great memories and getting good things out of the forums is what it has meant to be here and stay. This is what it means to me after all these years.

So, with that I end this post here. It's been a good run.

^ that was an entertaining read. I'm happy to see you see soompi on such a personal level.

I think Philosophy and religion caused too much bashing and stuff that's why they didn't put it back up after the crash. Even without the philosophy & religion forum, the small amount of threads relating to it popped up in the general discussion and eventually had to be banned (not sure if ban has lifted) cause it still caused trouble, lol. Too many members didn't know how to be mature about those types of discussions.

This brings back so many memories! I remember that exact layout. I think it was the layout used when I first started using Soompi. I was never a part of the forum but I really liked reading the fanfictions posted on the main site (we should consider doing that again!).

And I definitely remember the 2005 crash. It caused so many....I guess member war? I just remember that many people lost their original member number from the crash so they were really angry that the "newer member" (at the time) had a lower member number than them because everyone had to register again after the crash. It even escalated to people using cached shots of their old member number to show how long they've been on Soompi. Does anyone else remember this? :lol:

I also remember when Soompi used to have a java/IRC chat. I became good friend with one of the member I met on there and even to this day we remain really good friends. We met a couple of times and his mom and I are so close! :lol:

I know it says I've been a member since 2008 but that's because I was gone from Soompi for a long time and re-registered in 2008 because I forgot my original log-in information.

I saw those signatures around all the time! I didn't know it was cause of that, haha.

Ahhhh old soompi. I can't track my old posts and stuff :( I was never really active. I was xdevastated_angelx eek. I remember back in the day, random members would always send me a happy birthday message by PM. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Aww, I renember that! :D I think we should have that show again at the bottom of the forum to bring back some of Soompi's more homey/friendly feel. It's the small things that count (:

I think I joined Soompi in early 2005. I had shown my friend a printed copy of Val's "What I Did For Love", and she really loved it so she went to look for it online and ended up finding other fics on soompi and showed me them. I never really ventured outside of the fanfix forum (didn't even know what a forum was at the time, LOL) until after the crash. As you can see by my join date (a month after Soompi was up and about again) that I wasn't addicted to Soompi, I wasn't even aware that Soompi was back-up for a month already until I randomly decided to check soompi, haha. Soompi was down for like a month but people were checking EVERYDAY and got on the registration immediately as soon as Soompi came back (and back then we didn't have twitter or other instant updates sites so imagine people checking everyday for a month. That's dedication! hehe) :P But when I did I discovered the other forums & I got really addicted to the selling& trading forum. Made a lot of friends there, it was soo fun and great how everything ran on its own with the collaborated efforts of all the members. If you think about, each section of Soompi had its own set of members. There were the "K-drama" peepz who all knew and were familiar with each other, there were the amazing singers/performers, the popular goodlooking 411 people, the fanfix people, etc but yet it was never clique-y.

I haven't peeked at the performers/singers section in years, and just recently looked at it. It makes me sad to see how inactive it is in there :( people still post topics every once in a while but most of the time there's 0 replies. I think this is just due to the fact that people use YOUTUBE to get their feedback now

man... i remember that version of soompi.... i remember coming to soompi when zandd.com stopped being updated... (does anyone here even know or remember zandd?) and i used to just read the fanfics... i even wrote i think like 3... in 2002~2003.... and then in 2004ish i started being more active in the forums... i miss being able to read the fics on the main page... there were soooo many good ones back then especially about shinhwa!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Poetic Prophet

this brings back memories. Has it really almost been 10 years since i started on here? I remember coming here in 2002-2003? With the birth of the original radio station (i still keep my banner for nostalgia sake); the late night AIM chats, which moved to yahoo for a brief time, than to IRC the original soompi irc channel; the forum crash of 05 (which did for a brief time have some "clashes" due to member numbers being reset and post counts being reset (#7!); the start of my first major relationship and sadly the ending of it too.

This place is amazing, and its ability to stay current and to constantly adapt is a testament to soomp! and her team of administrators' dedication to this website. This truly does feel like a home to me and I have met some seriously great people because of it. All i can say is thank you.

Archived