[Series]American Horror Story

Guest dirtyfishydishcloth

horror-drama by Brad Falchuk & Ryan MurphyIs there anyone who watches the tv-series American Horror Story? What do you think about? Do you like it or not?

I like it.

I like it so much that I wear a rubber suit while watching it.

Kidding.

But I like the originality of it.  A dysfunctional family trying to work out its problems - all while within the confines of a haunted house where all the previous owners - now spirits - are pretty dysfunctional as well.  I'm pretty interested to see how they plan to perpetuate the plot and interspersing the various myths/histories of the house in doing so.

In some ways it kind of reminds me of LOST.  Instead of an Island, it's a haunted house.  I wonder if there's an end game to this family's story.  Is it just to sell the house while at the same time being able to preserve their family unit?  Hopefully the writing doesn't get too entranced with putting up so much mythology about the house that it ends up taking over the story and then all the viewers care about are explanations of just the myths/mysteries themselves.  I think this was the kind of problem LOST suffered when that series started winding down.

Anyhow, yeah - this show is a nice departure from the regular fare we're used to seeing from regular network TV.

Guest creaturedreams

Definitely an addictive show. At first I thought Tate's character was pretty cool, but then the whole raping thing and rubber suit revelation kind of killed it. Speaking of rubber suit I was pretty disappointed that it was Tate would have been interesting if it was another character or an unknown. Could have added another side story. 

Anyhow, yeah - this show is a nice departure from the regular fare we're used to seeing from regular network TV.

Yeah! It's so interesting because is unusual watching the classic dysfunctional family dealing with similiar problems. The "horror elements" themselves aren't new...you know, haunted houses, restless ghosts, the Antichrist, are present in so many tales, novels, drama and movies in the Western tradition; besides in the series there are the same atmospheres and narrative patterns found also in many works by David Lynch and Stephen King. But I think too that the concept of the dysfunctional family dealing with all this stuff is great...Ryan Murphy is a true genius...sometimes very trashy, but still a genius!

At first I thought Tate's character was pretty cool, but then the whole raping thing and rubber suit revelation kind of killed it. Speaking of rubber suit I was pretty disappointed that it was Tate would have been interesting if it was another character or an unknown. Could have added another side story. 

Actually, many people think that Rubber Man is a kinda Tate's evil twin whom we still don't know...but it's just a supposition! However, I wasn't surprised at all by this revelation...about Rubber Man's identity, I was dubious between him and Luke! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think the beauty of this show is that you can't really kill off a character, haha.  Someone dies, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't see them anymore on the show.  :phew:

I tried watching it, I love seeing everyone's back story--moira's story was really interesting, I think essentially she's the only real "victim" ghost in the house but her murder changed her outlook and made her into this really bitter seductress, somehow that makes me even more sympathetic and want her to pass on ...sigh

there are so many people dead now.

I don't think the evil twin theory is gonna hold up; tate sort of admitted it when violet told him she can't see him anymore right?

haven't seen the finale yet

not gonna lie though; mainly watching this because tate and violet are so tragic and heart wrenching

=====

okay I just realized something. uh

how is violet able to go to the skating rink to meet with her classmate if she's already dead and can't leave the house ._.

unless her classmate is dead too? but that doesn't really make sense either .___.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest bluebreads

I liked this show a lot but don't actually know anyone else who watches it.

Highlight of the show was definitely the air of mystery surrounding the House's legacy and Tate's background but sadly the unraveling of both were a bit of a disappointment for me. In fact, Tate being the Rubber Man totally ruined his character...really wish they had chosen someone else to be him instead.

Favorite characters were probably: Moira (hot young maid to men/old trustworthy woman to women), Vivien (damaged but well intentioned mother and wife), Constance (evil but hilarious), Chad & Patrick (messed up but amusing gay couple), Travis (the only sweet and decent character in the show), and Violet (she's a typical outsider teen but interesting nevertheless. I was happy when she finally sent Tate away in favor of her mother)

Annoying characters: Ben (there is no one dumber in this show) and Hayden (Why the hell do you still want a baby??).

Guest kurayzeexivy

Love this show!

I didn't like Tate in the beginning of the show much but towards the end of the season he did grow on me. It's just how he is completely love sick towards Violet is annoying(I think Violet herself is annoying).

My favorite characters are Ben(because he is honestly trying to do the right thing to mend his past but it seems everything is against him!), Moira, and Nora(except her crazy baby hunger).

The show itself is really unique and different. Everything is unpredictable and I hate that the next season will start in October......so far..

The show itself is really unique and different. Everything is unpredictable and I hate that the next season will start in October......so far..

You'll probably also hate that it's going to be a whole new different show, complete with new characters and a new "haunted house" LOL.

Per the creators of the show, AHS is meant to be an anthology series in that each season is its own compact and complete story.  The theme of this most recent season was that of infidelity.  For the next season, it's speculated that the new setting will take place at a haunted "farm house", or something along those lines, with presumably an entirely different underlying theme being examined throughout the season.  It's been reported that all the main actors from this past season had only signed contracts for one year so it was already implicitly understood that their participation in the series would be for just that sole season.  So (without going spoiling it too much for others), that explains why what happened to everybody by the end of the season ended the way it did.  For all intents and purposes, the 'journey' of the family is complete and their "mission" within the house has been defined.  It's a shame that it was for only one season, but it was fun watching these actors do a great job while it lasted.  I hope that the new set of characters and the storytelling for the next installment of this anthology series is just as compellingly entertaining.

• 1 month later...
Guest xosandy

^Ooh.. interesting! I heard Jessica Lange might possibly be coming back to guest star in season 2? Maybe it has something to do with the devil baby since they left that part of the story open-ended. The show is definitely addicting, unpredictable, and freaky. I don't think I could ever watch it alone though. -.-;; For those of you who are in LA, the house is on the border of Koreatown/Hancock Park. I stopped by a few weeks ago and snapped some pictures.

IMG_7316.JPG

IMG_7314.JPG

Guest creaturedreams

It's been reported Jessica Lange and Zachary Quinto will come back/guest for season 2 but under new, different characters.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HERMIT

It's been reported Jessica Lange and Zachary Quinto will come back/guest for season 2 but under new, different characters.

Here's an article to expound a little more on that.  Appears Lange and Quinto aren't the only ones coming back.  It looks like it's also been revealed that the new haunted place is a mental institution!

'American Horror Story' Season 2: Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe Returning                                    

First Posted: 03/03/2012  9:25 am Updated: 03/03/2012 11:04 am                                                                                                                                                                                       

Things are about to get frightening for Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Lily Rabe. The trio have joined the cast of "American Horror Story" Season 2. According to E! Online, Paulson, Peters and Rabe will join the previously announced cast of Jessica Lange and "Heroes" actor Zachary Quinto. "American Horror Story"  co-creators  Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk made the announcement at  PaleyFest.  Lange, Peters, Quinto, Paulson and Rabe all appeared in Season 1 of the FX series.

"Everyone will be playing the opposite of what they played," Murphy said at the PaleyFest panel. The season is currently being written.

Season 2 will take place in an East Coast mental institution.  In Season 1, Quinto appeared in four episodes as the former owner of the Harmon family's haunted house. Quinto's involvement with the series was announced before the PaleyFest.

Lange, who won a Golden Globe for her work on "American Horror Story" Season 1, will not be reprising her role of Constance Langdon.

"We have designed the second season of 'American Horror Story' completely around her character," Murphy told EW about Lange's new character.  "Last year Jessica came in with Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott.  This will really be the Jessica Lange show so I'm very excited about it.  We are designing this amazing new opposite of the Constance character for her."

Source

It also looks like they are looking into casting a role inspired by a character once played by Angelina Jolie.  She's supposed to be a nemesis to Jessica Lange's character in Season 2.

Exclusive: American Horror Story Wants 'Angelina Jolie' For Pivotal Season 2 Role American Horror Story is going after Angelina Jolie… sort of.

Ryan Murphy & Co. have quietly begun casting a major new Season 2 arch nemesis for Jessica Lange — and they’re using one of Jolie’s most famous movie roles as their template, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The series regular character, Gia, is described as a fierce, ferocious, extremely sexual and dangerous wild-child sexpot who harbors a secret — “think Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted,” reads the casting notice. As such, interested actresses should be in their mid-20s and Caucasian.

Production on Horror Story‘s second season doesn’t get underway in mid-July, so producers are giving themselves ample time to find the right performer for the plum part. Feel free to offer up a suggestion or two in the comments. I’ll get you started: Adrianne Palicki!

Source

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest xosandy

Is anyone watching American Horror Story Asylum? I love the show but there are too many stories going on at the same time. I hope they'll be able to tie it all together in the end.

I watched the 1st 3 episodes last night on my DVR.  I don't really watch a lot of horror stuff but it was really good.  There are a lot of symbolism in it.  I felt so bad for Shelley at the end of the 3rd one.  It was a WTF moment for me! 

• 2 months later...

I've never seen the first season but I just started to follow American Horror Story: Asylum. I watched an episode for the first time last week and it's been a loooooooooooong time since a TV series actually made me feel a little scared (I think the last time was probably season 1 or 2 of Supernatural, which was years ago).

I usually turn off the TV when this show starts and go do my own stuff but last week, the appearance of smexy Adam Levine kept me watching and unexpectedly, I really liked it. Watched another episode last night, even though I started in the middle of the 2nd season, I'm catching on fine. I love how there's all these individual stories in one place.

Another bonus is the appearance of Sylar from Heroes/Zachary Quinto!! YAY

I've only watched the first episode of season 1 and it was late at night. It freaked me out. Hahaha. I love my zombie shows/movies and this one was pretty interesting in a weird and freaky way. The hubby watched it with me and we're still contemplating on watching the next episodes. We want to wait until they come up with more episodes in case we get hooked watching it. 

Guest meeeowow

I love American Horror Story! Can't wait until season three comes out! That's gonna be a long wait. :(

There's going to be a season 3? Omg, I've been missing out!

I watched season 1 and loved it! I haven't finished season 2. Every time I watch the episodes online, I skip the intro. Way too creepy and scary X_X

Archived