[Movie 2012] Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King 광해:왕이된 남자 Masquerade

rubie

A nice interview with good English subs, with mentions of Lee Byung Hun, Masquerade and The Fortress. Almost an hour long clip but very insightful from the movie make-up artist's perspective.

Published on Feb 21, 2019 by ARIRANG TV

The INNERview Ep.284 - Creating the face of cinema - Taehee CHO | Makeup Director 

thc_1.jpg

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 26, 2019

Producer Won Dong Yeon Talks Oscars, Netflix And 'Along With The Gods'

Joan MacDonald Forbes

Spoiler

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjoanmacdonald%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F02%2Falong.jpg

Fans can expect two more films in the 'Along With The Gods' franchise as well as a TV show.LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT

Won Dong Yeon, producer of Masquerade and the first two films of the Along With The Gods franchise, spoke at The Korea Society in New York City on the day after the 2019 Academy Awards. While discussing the Korean film industry, he was asked what he thought of the Netflix film Roma winning foreign film and cinematography Oscars and what that might mean for Korean filmmakers.

He was happy Netflix was getting some respect.

“When you think about the worldwide influence that Netflix has nowadays, I think that for filmmakers it's an amazing opportunity to get your content out there.”

Won is currently in talks with Netflix to produce a television series based on his record-breaking films Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds and Along With The Gods: The Last 49 Days, while at the same time working on producing a third and fourth film in the franchise.

Two Worlds not only attracted 14 million viewers in Korea, but topped box offices throughout Asia. The Last 49 Days holds the record for the most Korean moviegoers on a single day.

Franchise films are not the norm in Korea and Won had long wondered why Korean filmmakers did not capitalize on the format.

“In my 25 years in the industry, seeing franchise movies do so well in Hollywood and worldwide, I said to myself, why don’t we Koreans also do franchises? If we really work on the characterization and the quality, franchise films can be a very sexy concept and very successful. That's how I got inspired to produce Along With The Gods, which luckily did very well. After the success of Along With The Gods, I hear that a lot of other production companies and directors are trying to produce more franchise films in Korea.”

Won, the CEO of Realies Pictures, is now a successful producer but that has not always been the case.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjoanmacdonald%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F02%2Fwondongyeon.jpg
Producer Won Dong Yeon spoke about Korean film at The Korea Society.JOAN VOS MACDONALD

“I was 41 when I first made a profit producing a movie.”

Along the way there were some failures, most of which happened before he produced 200 Pound Beauty, starring Kim Ah Joong and Joo Jin Mo. That success happened just in time.

“I  was really determined to leave the entire industry if this film did not do well, because all the films I produced before this film were flops. When people heard I was making this film with newcomer Kim Ah Joong, they said, wow, you are really going to leave the industry for sure. After the film’s success, a lot of people came up to me and said it was a really brave move and praised me. I would be deserving of praise if Kim was my first choice but actually she was my seventh choice. In my history of producing 11 films, my only first choice that ever really worked out was Lee Byung Hun who played King Gwanghae in Masquerade. Every other time I had to come up with alternatives. There were always rejections or complications. One thing I learned from this was never to be afraid of rejections.”

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjoanmacdonald%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F02%2Fmasquerade.jpg
'Masquerade,' starring Lee Byung Hun, was a turning point in the producer's career. CJ E&M ENTERTAINMENT

The success of Masquerade really changed his life.

“It was the first film I produced that had more than 10 million people come to see it. This was released right around the time of the Korean presidential election. When I was planning this I thought it would be great to show audiences what it really means to be a leader”

Spoiler

In the same vein, he produced Warriors of Dawn, starring Lee Jung Jae and Yeo Jin Goo, but that film flopped. Around the same time, the trailer for Along with the Gods received negative feedback because some said it was not true to its webtoon inspiration. Won despaired, but ultimately he learned that when you encounter rejection or hardship, it's important not to be too hard on yourself. One failure does not necessarily predict another.

Along with the Gods, based on the webtoon by Joo Ho Min and starring Ha Jung Woo, Cha Tae Hyun, Ma Dong Seok, Ju Ji Hoon, Kim Hyang Gi, and EXO’s D.O., quickly shot to the top of the box office.

He began working on the first film with CJ E&M Entertainment but continued with Lotte Entertainment because CJ E&M was cautious about producing two films at the same time, especially if the first was not a proven hit.

“The reason for making these two films at once was not because I believed one and two would both be great hits, but because we're using the same sets, the same actors. It was going to cost a lot for us to strike down those sets, then build them up again for the sequel, so I felt that would really would reduce costs if we did them together.”

Won, who originally wanted to be a comedian and has a wry sense of humor, added jokingly, “I knew that if the first one was a success then for the second one the actors were going to ask for a huge, huge raise.”

While he is interested in making successful films that will attract investors to his country’s film market, he’s also invested in the success of Korea’s indie filmmakers. To promote that success, he donates money to Korea’s film development fund.

“Their job is to fund indie films that have a hard time being financed, so I feel I’m doing my part by supporting the film fund which supports the entire system and indie films.”

Won does not consider himself a serious filmmaker. He would describe his approach to topics as “consistently inconsistent.”

“I want to reward my audience with something special. I really think in terms of giving them consolation, to cheer them up, to say, hey, I know living isn’t always that great, let me entertain you.”

Joan MacDonald
I am a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film. Since 2013, my stories on Korean media and culture have been published in the Los Angeles Review of Books, Kultscene, Macg Productions, The Independent, Bust, Hello Giggles and Mental Floss. For three years I worked as a writer and editor at KPopStarz, a popular K-pop and kdrama news site and appeared on three KCON panels discussing drama trends. Some of my drama blogs appear on the That Only Happens In Kdramas FB page.  

February 28, 2019

KCCNY Celebrates 40 Years with Special Film Events
Producer WON Dong-yeon Talk and Director KIM Tae-yong Live Event in NY

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

juhfzgRQkzQgeiOFrXVZ.jpg

To celebrate its 40th anniversary, the Korean Cultural Center New York (KCCNY) is putting on a series of cultural events throughout 2019, which include a pair of events related to Korean cinema. This month, Along with the Gods producer WON Dong-yeon visited New York for a special talk, while Director KIM Tae-yong will stage a film and music event during the summer.

On February 25, WON Dong-yeon, producer of the box office sensations Masquerade (2012), Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds (2017) and Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days (2017), and head of the Realies Pictures Film production company, was invited to give a talk about the state of Korean films. He discussed his career as well as changes in the Korean film environment, which is beginning to welcome local franchise properties, and how the influence of Netflix is affecting world cinema.

Later this year, Late Autumn (2011) director KIM Tae-yong will visit New York with music director BANG Jun-seok to put on a live film and music event around their jointly produced play Kokdu. The film version Kokdu: A Story of Guardian Angels (2018) debuted at the Busan International Film Festival and recently screened in the Generation program of the Berlin International Film Festival. KIM and BANG will team up with the National Gugak Center for the special performance. The performance will be put on at some point this summer.

The Korean Cultural Center New York opened its doors in 1979 and since then has strived to adhere to its mission of promoting cultural arts exchanges and stimulating an interest in Korean culture in the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

March 16, 2019

In the "Creating the Face of Cinema Exhibition" which exhibited the work of Cho Tae Hee,  Lee Byung Hun and the movie "Gwanghae"/"Masquerade"  were clearly the main focus as the exhibits from this movie occupied the largest first level. 

me2.jpg

me3.jpg

me4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

May 3, 2019

Herald Interview: Artistry of movie makeup

By Yoon Min-sik The Korea Herald

Film makeup artist Cho Tae-hee shares stories on his work, ambition to shake up the industry 

Being a makeup artist for movies takes on a multitude of challenges -- one has to create the perfect look that reflects a character’s personal traits, yet does not leave any impression. 

“I have to make sure that (the audience) is not aware of the makeup. If the makeup, a costume or a scar lingers in their memories, I feel like I’ve caused trouble for the film. The best makeup is one that is absorbed by the character without standing out,” said Cho Tae-hee, a veteran makeup artist whose career spans two decades. 

Transformation process 

Speaking at his recent exhibition “Creating the Face of Cinema,” which showcased his past works in the film industry, Cho explained that the process of preparing for a film production usually takes about two to three months to prepare for a makeup artist. 

Spoiler

20190502000808_0.jpg

Cho Tae-hee (Park Hyun-koo/The Korea Herald)

Even longer, if it is a period flick. In the case of the 2012 film “Masquerade,” starring Lee Byung-hun, it took three months to prepare for the four-month shoot. 

“I have to organize the concept for every makeup, prepare for props like wigs and beards. It’s a big process. Not only that, I have to analyze the scenario and discuss it with the director and actors. I have to study all the actors,” he said.

Transforming a man living in the 21st century into a king from the Joseon era can be tough, but complicating the matter is that these are some of the most recognizable faces in South Korea. How do you take a man who played a ninja bodyguard, gunslinger and a shape-shifting robot, and hide him inside 17th-century royalty?

“I have to consider the personal traits of that actor. Visually, (the new character) cannot overlap with that person’s previous works.”

That is becomingly increasingly tougher as actors take on so many roles, and the audience tend to link their image to the role they have played. 

“In the case of ‘Masquerade,’ it was Lee’s first period piece so everything was fresh. But that film sold over 10 million tickets and left an impression,” Cho said. 

For Lee’s another period film “Fortress,” set in the same 17th century Joseon era but only a few decades later, Cho said he focused on bringing out the dark, gloomy nature of the times the movie tried to capture. 

“In any case, a person watching, ‘The Fortress,’ must not look at Lee and be reminded of ‘Masquerade,’” Cho noted. 

20190502000809_0.jpg

Details were added to realistically depict the group of people stuck inside the walls for months. For example, the beards were longer and untidy, under belief that daily grooming would have had much lower priority than usual.

“We discuss it with the costume and lighting team. Nothing ever gets done by a single team,” he said, explaining that even the smallest detail like the color of the blood depends on the surroundings. 

This makes it essential for a makeup artist to have a thorough understanding of the film production, as they are required to take something that is in writing, and bring it into reality. This is something that the artist picked up early on in his life, back when he first stepped onto a movie set.

Road toward the dream

Cho’s path toward becoming one of the most well-known movie makeup artists in the country started right after he graduated from high school, when he was part of the makeup team for renowned auteur Im Kwontaek’s 2000 film “Chunhyang.”

“I worked for about two weeks, but for me it was like 200 days because it was such an important experience. For the first time, I was on the set of a movie and everything -- from the director to actors -- blew my mind,” he said.

20190502000810_0.jpg

While Cho had always dreamed of working for movies, not a lot of period pieces existed in the 2000s. It was the heyday of gangster comedies and romantic comedies, neither of which requires much makeup. 

Cho directed his path toward TV channels, which always show period dramas, but the decision presented an unexpected hurdle in his career when he returned to movies in 2005.

“Film and TV industries are very much against each other, so that (TV experience) actually hurt my career,” Cho said. Bad luck ailed the makeup artist, as the projects that he joined kept floundering. 

“During my nearly 20 years of career, that 1 1/2 years was the hardest of all.” 

Cho’s resume is one of the most impressive in the industry. His works include the comedy “My Sassy Girl,” “The Fortress”, “The Throne” and “Masquerade”, and comedy drama flicks like “My Annoying Brother”.

“The hardest thing about makeup is that I have to create something that is new but does not overlap with anything that currently exists. It has to impress both the audience and the cast, be classy yet not stand out, and make the actors stand out,” he said.

No props are there without intention. Minute changes to the characters’ attires are made to reflect the passage of time, and some of the props have specific symbols.

In the case of a traditional Korean headdress (binyeo) worn by Han Hyo-joo in “Masquerade,” it has large and small dragons engraved onto it, symbolizing the king and his lookalike, both played by Lee. “They are glancing at each other, but can never meet, and the queen is in the middle. It is a metaphor for the situation,” he said.

Cho also changed the trend of having fancy and flamboyant props like gold headdresses, instead opting for less conspicuous designs that have the natural look. Han, for example, would put on very little makeup to appear natural, as did the two leading ladies of “The Great Battle” Kim Seol-hyun and Jung Eun-chae. “Who spends hours putting on makeup during war?” he noted.

Recreating the past

In all works based on ancient times, realistic depiction of the past is tough work. For films like “The Throne,” the design of King Yeongjo was based on his portrait that still exists today, although his thick beard and lips reflected his stubbornness.

This was in stark contrast to his son, Crown Prince Sado, who Cho deliberately designed to have some uneven and untamed look to express his instability.

20190502000811_0.jpg
(Park Hyun-koo/The Korea Herald)

Depending on the records can present challenges when working on eras that have almost no record. “The Great Battle” is based in Goguryeo Kingdom, which perished in AD 668 and there are no records on what the people looked like. 

Cho noted that balancing the historical research and elements of fantasy is a delicate work.

“I mix the situation -- of being in a war -- and the characteristics of the actor. Of course, I can’t depict what the person would actually look like in a battle, because one would look like a bum. It would be ridiculous,” he said.

Transforming a lanky, pale-white handsome actor like Jo In-sung into a battle-tested general presented a challenge. 

“I wanted him to look like a general, but with a sophisticated look,” Cho said, resulted in a rugged, unpolished beard and a somewhat polished hair.

What Cho revolutionized in the industry was that he was among the first to create all of his own props from the scratch. It had been conventional for the makeup artists to receive them from the sponsors, but he designed and made all the headdresses, wigs, and whatever props needed for the character. 

He hopes to one day build a museum to display all the props and share his secrets of movie makeup, which he did during the recent exhibition.

Steps toward the future

If spending 1 1/2 years in and out of jobs has taught Cho anything, it was that being a movie makeup artist in Korea is an unstable job. Most of them are freelance workers, who only have work during the production period of a movie.

It is also very hard for an upcoming artist to find work, as most of it falls on those with years of experience. “Realistically, it is hard for a company to trust a rookie artist with a 10 billion won project. As a result, only the veterans get the job.”

This experience motivated him to start his own makeup company called “Heavenly Makeup,” which is currently a small company of 13 employees. His dream is to create a full-scale management system for makeup artists, which consists of a props company, makeup company, and a system to debut budding artists.

“For the past three years, maybe one makeup artist has debuted. It is becoming harder and harder. I want to create a stable environment.”

By Yoon Min-sik
(minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

July 3, 2019

Theater in Honor of Actor Lee Byung-hun to Be Opened

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2019070301002_0.jpg

A movie theater named after actor Lee Byung-hun will be opened at a multiplex in Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province next week, Lotte Cinema said Tuesday.

In celebration of the opening, the movie theater chain will also offer a special screening of Lee's films selected by him -- "Bungee Jumping of Their Own" (2001), "The Good, the Bad and the Weird" (2008), "Masquerade" (2012) and "Inside Men"(2015) -- from July 12 to 18.

Lee will meet fans at the theater in Seongnam, which is his hometown, on July 12 to reflect on his nearly 30-year acting career.

Lee made his debut in a TV series in 1991 and has appeared in various dramas and films along with a couple of Hollywood films like the "G.I. Joe" series and "Terminator Genisys."

20190701lbh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

September 13, 2019

From 'Bharat' To 'Ek Villain': Bollywood Movies That Took Inspiration From South Korean Films

Source:  India Times

06/9 'Prem Ratan Dhan Payo'

The film ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ marked the return of the director-actor jodi – Sooraj Barjatya and Salman Khan. The film, however, is said to be inspired by South Korean movie, ‘Masquerade’. ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ also starred Sonam Kapoor and Neil Nitin Mukesh in pivotal roles.

Directed by Choo Chang-min, ‘Masquerade’ starred Lee Byung-hun, Ryu Seung-ryong and Han Hyo-Joo in the lead roles.

September 19, 2019

Chuseok movie trends reflect changes in the times:

Harvest holiday period no longer dominated by historical drama genre

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

The Chuseok harvest holiday is one of the biggest local holidays that guarantees people at least three days of rest. Traditionally, it is a period where families gather together from all over the country. However, for the local box office, the holiday season means high ticket sales as those families spend some of their time together at the movie theater.

There were patterns that have repeated throughout the past two decades, one being that certain family-friendly genres have successively topped the box office during the Chuseok holidays.

But have these patterns held true? Do people still view the holiday period as a time for families to get together? With more and more people using the break to go abroad, there may no longer be a “family-friendly” genre for film distributors to prepare for next year’s holiday box office.

18191201.jpg
Certain types of genres dominate movie theaters over the Chuseok holidays. Above are a collection of characters from films that ranked number one in the holiday box office over the last 10 years. [EACH DISTRIBUTOR, JEON TAE-GYU]

Popular genres over the years

For nearly a decade since 2001, gangster mob action comedies, such as “My Wife is a Gangster” (2001) and the “Marrying the Mafia” franchise, were the popular Chuseok genre. The latter was especially a hit during the Chuseok holidays, with four out of five films being released in accordance with the period. The series reached its peak when it topped the holiday box office in the fourth installment titled “Unstoppable Family” in 2011 with 1.47 million moviegoers over the holidays.

However, after a decade the local audience began to lose interest in light-hearted comedies with shallow story lines and instead veered toward well-made historical dramas. “Masquerade” (2012) kick-started the genre’s popularity, drawing 2.8 million audience members to theaters over five days. Over the recent decade, six out of the 10 top films for the holiday box office were historical dramas.

Another pattern that resurfaces during this period is that middle-aged veteran actors that are well-recognized across age groups feature heavily in lead roles. For “Masquerade” it was actors Lee Byung-hun and Ryu Seung-ryong, while Lee Jung-jae and Song Kang-ho starred in “The Face Reader” (2013) and Song also in “The Age of Shadows” (2016). Lee Byung-hun, Kim Yoon-suk, and Park Hae-il starred in “The Fortress” and in last year’s “The Great Battle,” Jo In-sung and Park Sung-woong featured in lead roles.

All the cast from the above are big-name actors acclaimed for their impressive skills, making it evident the films released for the holidays are extra careful to plant at least one familiar face amongst their lead roles to attract family units. Song seem to be a representative example of an actor with the credibility that families can easily agree on.

18191527.jpg
End of an era?

Therefore, avid moviegoers might have been surprised to see this year’s line-up: All three films that were released one day prior to the beginning of the holidays - “The Bad Guys: Reign of Chaos,” “Tazza: One Eyed Jack” and “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” - were either comedy or crime-action blockbusters. No historical drama films were released after four such films took the number one spots successively over the last four years.

“It’s probably a rebound from the relative lack of popularity of the genre over recent years,” said film critic Kim Hyung-suk. “Although ‘The Great Battle’ ranked number one, it didn’t receive as much attention as it expected and didn’t do so well in the overall ticket sales, and neither did ‘The Fortress’ from the year before.”

“[Right now] audiences are growing tired of the genre,” said another film critic Oh Dong-jin. “Historical fictions tend to see and reflect the world from a different perspective but people feel that the world is already in disarray. They don’t want to reflect upon their history. I believe film organizers quickly caught on to the public sentiment and released more lightweight comedies, like ‘Cheer Up, Mr. Lee’ as a result.”

Oh continued to say that heading to the movies over the Chuseok holiday is no longer a way for families to spend some quality time together.

“The media continues to portray Chuseok that way but that is simply no longer the case,” said the critic. “People have become individualized and [their tastes] are more diverse than before due to an increase of one-person households and OTT (Over The Top) platforms such as Watcha and Netflix. The majority of people regard the period merely as rest days instead of Chuseok holidays, which is why I believe that it is up to economical or political conditions to affect the box office [instead of the Chuseok holidays]. Categorizing films in accordance with the holidays is pointless now.”

However, Kim still said that the holidays still hold some power over box office success. “If word-of-mouth gets around that the film is fun to watch, then they instantly draw attention and often generate huge box office success if it strikes a chord with the audience,” said Kim.

According to statistics, over 5.6 million people have seen local films throughout this year’s holidays, which is actually a surge from a few years back. In 2012, only about 3.5 million people saw such films during the same period.

In other words, a lot of people still visit the theaters during the holidays, but no longer as family units. While the holidays still hold power over ticket sales, it seems that film distributors are betting differently this year as moviegoers’ preferences no longer unify into one trending genre.

Although another “Tazza” series ranked second for this year, drawing 1.67 million people to the screens, there was quite a gap between the top film and the second, which was dominated by actor Ma Dong-seok’s blockbuster “The Bad Guys: Reign of Chaos” which sold 2.7 million tickets. “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee,” on the other hand, only sold 857,000 tickets although it was promoted as a “comedy to be seen with families in Chuseok holidays.”

Nonetheless, Kim reasoned that people’s avoidance of historical dramas was not due to the genre itself as it covers a wide spectrum of topics. “To sum it up, it’s not a problem of the genre itself, but we need to go into more detail to see what kind of entertainment the film has in store for the people. For instance, we can’t say that ‘The Fortress’ and ‘Rampant,’ where zombies run wild [in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910)], are of the same genre. They are a completely different set of works.”

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

Super thanks to the twitter highlight by @jinny_lovey, a good review of Masquerade. 

Section TV Ep972: Let's Enjoy Movie segment

(Discussing historical movies about kings)

Masquerade (45:24 time-mark)

And we must talk about 'Masquerade'.
I think I watched it three times.
("Masquerade", as the fear of getting assassinated...)
(drives King Gwanghae insane, he finds his double,)
(Ha Seon, to replace him.)
Lee Byung Hun's acting is just overwhelming.
He had never been in a historical work before.
Was it his first? -"Masquerade? was the first.
And he had to play a double.
He had to act the real king and the fake king...
in the same movie.
It must have been very hard to maintain the character's emotions.
It's not even easy to act one character properly, 
and he had to do two.
And the two have completely opposite personalities.
Right, they do.
When the producer of this movie went to cast Byung Hun...
Back then he was in the US,
filming "G.I. Joe".
So the producer went to the States,
met with Byung Hun,
and asked him to star... in the movie.
But Byung Hun said he wasn't confident about the roles.
It was his first time on a historical work.
He was okay with the king but he wasn't confident about Ha Seon.
Because Ha Seon is a clown,
he had to express waggishness,
but he had never done such acting before.
Is that so? - Yes.
That's why he wasn't confident.
What the producer told him to persuade him was...
"It's time you become more down-to-earth."
"Until when will you act cool guys only?"
That's what he said.
They managed to persuade him to take part in this movie...
and it became a mega-hit.
While I watched this movie,
I couldn't help but marvel at his acting skills.
He's a genius.
I think he's the one and only actor who could be (Song) Kang Ho's match.
Right.

section972.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

October 4, 2019

16 Best Korean Movies of This Decade

by Diksha Sundriyal TheCinemaholic

In international cinema, there are a couple of countries that have made their presence felt strongly. While European cinema continues to excel, in the Asian market, Korean filmmakers have taken charge. Bong Joon-ho, Park Chan-wook and Kim Ki-duk are just a couple of directors that have made excellent films while succeeding in breaking into the international market. Their films are commercially successful without compromising with the soul of the story. In the past decade, this trend has been followed by a number of other directors. Here, we have compiled the list of the best Korean movies of this decade, from 2010 to 2019. that you must watch:

16. Train to Busan (2016)

15. The Man from Nowhere (2010)

14. The Day He Arrives (2011)

13. Masquerade (2012)

201209131430351122_1.jpg

‘Masquerade’ is a historical drama that focuses on a strange event that takes place in the court of the 15th ruler of the Joseon Dynasty in Korea. King Gwang-hae is suspicious of everyone around him. He doesn’t trust anyone because he fears that everyone is trying to kill him, and no matter how many assassination-attempts he dodges, it will only take one to be successful to bring him down. He asks his secretary of defense to find a lookalike who can fill in for him, in case something happens and he needs to go into hiding. As the king feared, he is poisoned by one of his consorts. Until he recovers, the minister grooms a man to take his place. The problem starts when the begins to take his role as the king seriously.

12. The Wailing (2016)

11. I Saw the Devil (2010)

10. The Handmaiden (2016)

9. House of Hummingbird (2018)

8. The Age of Shadows (2016)

7. Burning (2018)

6. Planet of Snail (2011)

5. Poetry (2010)

4. The Bacchus Lady (2016)

3. Hope (2013)

2. Silenced (2011)

1. Parasite (2019)