[Movie 2012] Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King 광해:왕이된 남자 Masquerade

rubie

February 27, 2012

Face-off Between Lee Byung Hun and Joo Ji Hoon Unlikely to Happen

Source: Nate l CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung l Translation Credit : Stewart Ho

It appears a face-off between Lee Byung Hun and Joo Ji Hoon as monarchs of the Joseon dynasty won′t happen. This year, Lee and Joo are making their respective return to the big screen, both in roles as king of Joseon, through I am King of Joseon and I am a King respectively. Though Lee and his film I am King of Joseon went into production first, it is looking likely that Joo’s I am a King will premiere first.

C120227_03.jpg

Though Joo’s I am a King was initially expected to be released in theaters towards the end of this year, concerns that viewers would confuse the movie with Lee’s movie has brought forward the production shooting for Joo’s movie.

According to a representative of I am a King, “Though we had initially planned to distribute the film during the peak Chuseok period (Korean Thanksgiving holiday season), we brought forward the premiere date as much as possible to settle for August as the movie’s premiere. We are not changing the release date due to I am King of Joseon. Our movie was green-lit first and is a completely different story than I am King of Joseon.” The representative continued, “However from a strategic point of view, we decided it was better to bring up the release date and are now busily shooting for the movie. Also, as I am a King is a working title, we are currently leaning towards changing the official movie title as well to help differentiate the two productions.” According to this source Joo will begin shooting on March 16 with the aim to complete the movie’s shooting within two months so it can premiere earlier than Lee’s movie.

Already Lee’s still cuts, taken while shooting for I am King of Joseon, have been released. Since wrapping up filming for the Hollywood movie G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation earlier this year, Lee has been shooting for I am King of Joseon and the still cuts shows a charismatic Lee dressed in royal robes with a beard, heightening expectations of viewers. As Joo will shortly begin shooting for his movie as well, viewers are wondering how he will look as a monarch of Joseon as well.

IE001407499_STD.jpg

IE001407498_STD.jpg

According to representative from Lee and Joo’s agencies, “As the two have come to take on a similar Joseon king role in similar time periods there seems to be many viewers that are confused. However as the characters and release dates are different, we hope a syndrome on the big screen for historical movies will come about, much like a syndrome happened from television programs such as A Tree With Deep Roots and The Sun and the Moon.

The representative from Lee’s agency added, “Just as Lee Byung Hun’s G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation will be released in theaters all over the world this summer creating a syndrome for action movies, we hope viewers will look forward to seeing him in a different setting through this historical piece.”

In I am King of Joseon, Lee will portray the role of King Gwanghae. The story tells of Joseon Dynasty’s most dramatic king and how a begger named Ha Sun, who looks just like the king, comes to be acting regent for the king. The movie was written by Hwang Jo Yoon who wrote the screenplay for Oldboy and will be directed by Choo Chang Min, who directed Mapado and I Love You. Han Hyo Joo stars opposite Lee, who is appearing in his first historical piece and is raising interest for Lee′s portrayal of two roles in the movie. A representative for the movie added, “The screenplay is so marvelous and with Lee Byung Hun’s acting it will be a movie that’s worth considering entering into the Venice Film Festival and other global film festivals.”

Joo’s I am a King is also raising expectations. The movie focuses on Joseon’s most lauded king, King Sejong who, before he becomes king, switches identities with a beggar and learns about the lives of others and society. Joo portrays the role of both the beggar and king. Jang Gyu Sung who directed such productions as Teacher Kim Bong-Du and Small Town Rivals, directs this movie. Following his release from his mandatory military services, Joo was heavily scouted by drama productions and musicals but Joo’s decision to make his return through the big screen is raising the interest as to what sort of charisma he will display.

Key East Agency said about Joo, “During the past two months [Joo] has taken a lot of rest and is back in clean health. Since his voice plays an important role in the production, he is taking good care of it. He plans to show a healthy self to viewers as an actor and is thinking of making a comeback to dramas as well so please wait for him.”

Photo credit: Key East, BH Entertainment

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Info-page at hancinema.net

Upcoming Korean movie "Masquerade" (2012)

Directed by Choo Chang-min With Lee Byeong-Heon, Ryoo Seung-yong, Han Hyo-joo, Kim Myeong-gon, Kim In-kwon, Sim Eun-kyeong,...

"Masquerade" is a working title. Also known as "The King of Joseon".

Synopsis

A commoner becoming the king is a theme that's all too familiar to us. The story was told in the well-known fable 'The Prince and The Pauperʼ and this film takes the idea from that and takes it to the 16th- century Joseon Dynasty. The king is the tragic historic figure of Kwanghae. The commoner who becomes the King realizes just what it takes to be a good king. Although the premise may feel like it's based on real events in history, but the film is a work of fiction. Lee Byeong-Heon plays both the king and the commoner and it's his first role in a historical drama since his debut. His queen, who loves her king despite realizing that he's a fake, is played by Han Hyo-joo who showed great potential in "Always". The movie is directed by Choo Chang-min whose other works include "Mapado" and "Lost in Love" and the writer Hwang Jo-yoon co-wrote "Old Boy".

Release date in Korea : 2012

201202272034131.jpg

Thanks to taprokh for this highlight :lol:

Never thought I'd see the day

Source: clairiere@lj

Lee Byung-Hun in a sageuk?

Looks better, and certainly hotter, than I'd expected. Not sure what inspired the filmmakers to adapt The Prince and the Pauper on the real-life Gwanghaegun but it's intriguing.

I bet it's a refreshing change for him too, and an interesting challenge. I'm enjoying the first still a lot, not just for the hotness but b/c Gwanghaegun is one of my favorite 'could-have-been-great' historical figures and his intensity there just stimulates my imagination. Hope the film lives up to the promise.

logoFilmBiz.jpg

February 29, 2012

King of Joseon now shooting

By Patrick Frater filmbiz.asia

20120227bh.jpg

Production News

South Korean superstar LEE Byung-hun 이병헌 | 李炳憲, who is next to be seen in G.I. Joe: Retaliation, has begun shooting his first period costume drama.

Lee takes the title role in The King of Joseon 조선의 왕 (pictured). The 17th century king is reputed to have been one of Korea's most eccentric and interesting rulers, but met a sticky end when he was dethroned in a coup. Lee also plays the role of a commoner who physically resembles the king and is temporarily put in charge of the kingdom.

The film also co-stars Always 오직 그대만 actress HAN Hyo-ju 한효주 | 韓孝周 and the prolific character actor RYU Seung-ryong 류승룡 | 柳成龍.

It is directed by CHU Chang-min 추창민 from a script by Old Boy 올드보이 (2003) co-writer HWANG Jo-yoon 황조윤. Production is by REALies Pictures 리얼라이즈 픽쳐스, with finance, distribution and international sales handled by CJ E&M Corp.

The film is now shooting at the Nanyangju studios outside Seoul and is scheduled to be delivered in time for a late autumn or early winter release.

March 6, 2012

Mixed reaction for Fox’s foray into local market

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Major American film studio announces plans to invest and distribute K-films

Following Fox International Productions’ announcement of its foray into the Korean film market as a distributor and investor last month, there are mixed reactions here to the possible changes to be brought to the scene.

An international production umbrella unit of America’s major film production house Fox Filmed Entertainment, FIP produces and distributes local language films around the globe. Known as one of the world’s largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, Fox’s blockbusters include “Avatar,” “Titanic” and “Star Wars.”

In an interview with a local broadcaster last month, FIP president Sanford Panitch said, “Ideally for Fox, we’d like to be the distributor of the films and to be the primary investor of the movies. And that’s our goal for the next set of films we’d make in Korea.” Panitch’s announcement came two years after FIP participated as one of the investors for director Na Hong-jin’s thriller “The Yellow Sea” in 2010.

According to Paul Huh, creative executive at Fox’s Seoul branch, FIP is planning to participate in making two or three Korean films this year. He said the company’s primary target is local viewers in Korea, though Fox has a distribution network worldwide. “Unlike local major production and distribution houses like CJ or Lotte, we are not required to make a certain number of films for this year’s lineup,” Huh told The Korea Herald. “We are making our first steps, starting with two or three films.”

Huh also said the company is interested in working with new talent in Korea, mentioning how Fox’s first Chinese-language film, “Hot Summer Days” (2010), was directed by rookie director Tony Chan Kwok-Fai. “I think we are bringing another option for local film producers, rather than a change to the Korean film scene,” Huh told The Korea Herald. “Even if our movies don’t do well box office-wise in Korea, we have our international distribution network for second chances in foreign markets. All in all, I think this will help boost Korea’s film industry.”

However, Daniel D.H. Park, who works as the director of the International Promotion Center of the state-run Korea Film Council, said he isn’t quite sure if the upcoming Fox-produced movies will necessarily do well overseas. “Most foreign language films are often just considered art house movies overseas,” Park told The Korea Herald. “A lot of Korean films are simply released as DVDs in foreign countries, if they don’t secure spots in theaters. I think with Fox’s distribution network, however, it won’t be hard for the movies to be opened in theaters. But this doesn’t necessarily guarantee box office success.”

Meanwhile, film producer Won Dong-yeon, who also serves as the vice president of the Korean Film Producers Association, said he was delighted by the news. His production house, Realize Pictures, is currently shooting “King of Joseon,” a historical epic starring actor Lee Byung-hun, with CJ Entertainment ― one of the three major local film production and distribution houses along with Lotte and Showbox/Mediaplex. The capital concentration of the three companies has been often raised as a problem in the Korean film industry.

“We producers sometimes wonder whether we are making films for our viewers or our investors,” he told The Korea Herald. “Whether they are local or foreign, investors influence your production process. That’s inevitable. I think Fox will bring more diversity and money into our market, which will eventually create more opportunities for quality film projects. I think there’s more to gain than lose.”

Shywdy // Profile // Photos

shywdy_1.jpg

20120113.jpg

2012.01.13 With actor Lee Byung Hun

• 2 weeks later...

Poll: Which 2012 Korean movies that you are most excited about?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/374847-which-2012-korean-movies-that-you-are-most-excited-about/

As of March 15, 170 member(s) have cast their votes in the multiple-answers movie fun poll. The tally is not definite as members yet to vote can still pick their favorites. However, this is a one-time poll.. once voted, members will not be able to vote again.

The current result starting with the highest voted movies rbhcool.gif

1. The Thieves

Lee Jung Jae, Kim Yoon Seok, Kim Hye Soo, Jeon Ji Hyun (55 votes [24.34%])

The King of Joseon aka Masquerade

bannerBH_2-1.jpg

Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo, Ryu Seung Ryong, Shim Eun Kyung (50 votes [22.12%])

3. Miss Conspirator

Go Hyun Jung, Yu Hae Jin. Ko Chang Seok, Sung Dong Il, Lee Mun Shik, Park Shin Yang (48 votes [18.32%])

4. Introduction to Architecture

Uhm Tae Woong, Han Ga In, Lee Je Hoon, Suzy (45 votes [17.18%])

5. Korea

Ha Ji Won, Bae Doo Na (42 votes [16.03%])

6. Coffee

Joo Jin Mo, Kim So Yeon, Park Hee Seon, Yoo Sun (36 votes [13.74%])

7. Love Fiction

Gong Hyo Jin, Ha Jung Woo (25 votes [9.54%])

8. Papa

Park Yong Woo, Go Ah Ra, Daniel Henney, Son Byeong Ho (22 votes [9.73%])

9. Neverending Story

Uhm Tae Woong, Jung Ryeo Won (21 votes [8.02%])

10. The Howling

Song Kang Ho, Lee Na Young (21 votes [9.29%])

11. Soar into the Sky

Jung Ji Hoon, Shin Se Kyung, Kim Sung Soo, Yoo Joon Sang (20 votes [8.85%])

12. The Tower

Sul Kyung Gu, Son Ye Jin, Kim Sang Kyung (17 votes [7.52%])

13. Dancing Queen

Hwang Jung Min, Uhm Jung Hwa (14 votes [5.34%])

14. Train aka Helpless

Lee Seon Kyun, Kim Min Hee, Jo Sung Ha (14 votes [6.19%])

15. Berlin

Ha Jung Woo, Han Suk Kyu, Jeon Ji Hyun, Ryu Seung Bum (13 votes [4.96%])

16. Nameless Gangster

Choi Min Sik, Ha Jung Woo (12 votes [4.58%])

17. Unbowed

Ahn Sung Ki, Park Won Sang, Na Young Hee, Kim Ji Ho, Moon Sung Geun, Lee Kyeong Yeong (12 votes [5.31%])

18. The Taste of Money

Kim Kang Woo, Kim Hyo Jin, Baek Yoon Shik, Yoon Yeo Jung (8 votes [3.54%])

19. Sansevieria

Dir. Yoo Ji Tae, Bae Soo Bin, So Yoo Jin (7 votes [3.10%])

20 Pacemaker

Kim Myung Min, Go Ah Ra, Ahn Sung Ki (6 votes [2.29%])

March 22, 2012

Source: Won dong yeon(원동연) ‏ @Shywdy

이런저런일로 머리가 복잡해도 현장에서 동료들을 보면 가슴이 진정된다. 한컷한컷 최선을 다하는 스텝 배우들. 이들과 농담하고 등두드리고 서로를 위로한다

20120322_bh.jpg

yf1xf.jpg

670ss.jpg

Please correct me in case of any inaccurate gist, done using the Google translate only ~

Our thanks to the fan-highlight at PlanetBH0712, a nice blog-sharing on The King of Joseon

March 7, 2012

CJ Tous Les Jours treat for the King of Joseon production

Source via Google translate

CJ Group's Bakery franchise Tous Les Jours recently sent an assortment of European style bakery catering treat to the filming set of 'The King of Joseon' at the Namyangju Studios in Namyangju City.

Here are the photos from the visit courtesy CJ blog

20120307_1.jpg

Boxes of treat arriving at the set

20120307_2.jpg

20120307_3.jpg

Preparing water for brewing coffee

20120307_4.jpg

20120307_5.jpg

20120307_6.jpg

20120307_7.jpg

Cast and crew enjoying their treat

20120307_8.jpg

Special bread treat for the Director

20120307_9.jpg

The KING!

20120307_10.jpg

20120307_11.jpg

20120307_12.jpg

Namyangju Studios and movie set

20120307_13.jpg

Bread in treat-box for lead actor Lee Byunghun (muffins, macaroons, chocolate, black glutinous rice, cream cheese, brownies, juice, mineral water)

April 2, 2012

The lost heroes of Korean dramas

By Kim Hyo-eun [estyle@joongang.co.kr] koreajoongangdaily.com

New shows reflect a shift in the relationship with authoritative figures

Photo: A scene from the MBC drama “The King 2 Hearts

In the SBS drama "Rooftop Prince" (2012), the crown prince of the Joseon Dynasty sud-denly appears in the middle of contemporary Seoul, jumping in time over 300 years. Starving on the streets without money, he observes people eating steaming cups noodles at a nearby convenience store.

The prince looks at the customers with pleading eyes, but when they walk past unmoved, he bellows at the store employees, "Get ready to serve those noodles to me right now!" They stare coldly at the unruly man donning anachronistic hanbok and call the police, who handcuff him and drive him away.

The Joseon Dynasty crown prince de-picted in SBS’s latest drama is a perfect exemplification of the tectonic shift in Korean dramas' relationship with authoritative figures.

Ahead of the upcoming legislative and presidential elections, the popularity of misplaced, frivolous kings in period dramas is unprecedented; unlike the benevolent rule of kings and princes in "Tears of a Dragon" (1996-98) and "Taejo Wanggeon" (2000-2), networks have catered to current tastes that perhaps reflect a public fed up with hardline politicians.

Photo: A screenshot from the SBS drama “Rooftop Prince”

"The current audience doesn’t believe that a king can enlighten the multitude," said Yoon Seok-jin, a critic of Korean dramas. "Romance or comedy is now mainly used to undermine the king’s authority." Yoon added that with the rapid increase in public participation in politics, mainly through the use of social networking services, audiences are less in-clined to follow the typical period dramas in which only one leader or an elite minority is depicted as heroically influencing the masses.

Recent xamples can be found on almost every major network. In the MBC drama "The Moon Embracing the Sun" (2012), the king often breaks down in tears thinking about his first love. In the hit series "The King 2 Hearts," the king is a snob who doesn’t care about royal authority.

kingJoseon1.jpg

Joseon rulers to be depicted in upcoming films have changed in similar ways. Both King Gwang-haegun of “The King of Joseon” (2012) and King Sejong of "I am a King" (2012) have storylines in which the kings leave the throne to see what life as a slave is truly like.

And audiences have responded with delight. “The Moon Embracing the Sun” recorded the highest viewer ratings of 42.2 percent, according to statistics released by AGB Nielsen, a media research group based in the Philippines.

Photo: Kim Soo-hyun, who played the role of the young Joseon king in the drama “The Moon Embracing the Sun.”

Jung Deok-heon, a drama critic, said that it seems as though the widespread reception of the disappear-ance of political heros do reflect the public’s political views. He said these programs show an audience's rejection of established politics. Dramas that aired during previous elections tended to depict heros restoring order in a turbulent age, Jung said. With Korea emerging from the 1999 Asian financial crisis, the public was looking for strong leadership to direct them toward economic stability.

"Tears of a Dragon" and "Taejo Wanggeon," two prominent shows at the time, focused on kings who marked a new era after overcoming the chaos of the Goryeo (918-1392) and Unified Silla (668-035) peri-ods. Another hit drama, “Lee San,” also told the story of King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty, who made various heroic and bold reforms throughout the kingdom.

But now, Jung said, the public does not believe that a hero or strong political figure can bring peace and prosperity. Dramas instead depict them in a humorous light or use their status to contrast the struggles of the average citizen. Kings now feel pity for the people and cry for them.

Critic Yoon said that this trend reflects how the public wants to see a political leader who cares about the general livelihood of the people, rather than a strong figure struggling for power.

April 6, 2012

First Look at Lee Byung Heon and Han Hyo Joo in Sageuk Movie I am the Joseon King

by ockoala

I never thought I’d see Lee Byung Heon in a sageuk. In his twenty year acting career, he hasn’t done either a drama or movie period role, while most of his peers have at least tried one or two out for size. I think he’s a fantastic actor so it’s not for lack of ability to channel the gravitas necessary for a period role. Perhaps he hasn’t found the right role or script, and now he has in the upcoming I Am the Joseon King co-starring Han Hyo Joo. It’s a Korean re-telling of the Prince and the Pauper fairytale, with Lee Byung Heon playing both the role of the King and his commoner doppleganger. The first stills for the movie easily convince me Lee Byung Heon is going to bring it, though Han Hyo Joo seems to have just wandered over from the set of Dong Yi, still with the same expression she carried around as that character.

Guest shy_hyo

thank you rubie, for all updates..laugh.giflaugh.gif

I really wanna watch this movie!!!!!!

had the filming wrapped up, rubie??

thank you again

April 20, 2012

Won dong yeon(원동연) ‏ @Shywdy

우리영화의 마스코트이자 행복바이러스 심은경양이 모든 촬영을 끝냈습니다. 다시 미국으로 돌아갈 은경양에게 조그만 이벤트를 하고 감독과함께 기념촬영했습니다 많이 보고싶을것 같습니다

Actress Shim Eun Kyung had finished filming her scenes in the movie and will return to the US where she is currently studying. A little party was held at the set..

vi5nh.jpg

k10ie.jpg

Guest s u n d a e_

I LOVE Han Hyo Joo's acting, esp in Dong Yi, and combined with Lee Byung Hun's magnificence, I'm definitely going to catch this movie!!

April 25, 2012

Lee Byung Hun Will Bare Himself Again for Next Film

Source: Nate l CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Lee Byung Hun revealed that he would be baring his chest again for his comeback film in Korea, King of Joseon, at the G.I.Joe 2 press day event held on April 25 in Seoul.

88878065.jpg

Lee Byung Hun said to a question MC Ryu Si Hyun asked on how he got his six packs, “Because we were making real a scene from a comic, I wanted to be perfect. I had no choice but to work out. (Laugh) I was relatively slimmer for the prequel, but this time I worked hard to get a chunky body.”

The actor took on the role of Storm Shadow to take on a slew of big action scenes. In the process, he had to open up his six packs, along with a bigger and chunkier body compared to how he appeared in the original G.I.Joe.

“It didn’t take long for the six packs to become a one pack after coming to Korea,” he said. “It’s not easy to maintain. In the film [King of Joseon], however, there’s a scene in which I have to take off my clothes. It was good though that the director wanted a normal body this time.”

He finished, “I can never say that a film is going to be fun when I’m promoting it after shooting it, but I feel after my few months of shooting that it’s going to be even better than the prequel,” he finished.

G.I.Joe 2, starring Lee Byung Hun, Bruce Willis, Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum and Adrianne Palicki, will premiere in the summer. The film will first start screening in America on June 29.

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

^

Thanks so much urie for the cool highlight, that is indeed a great update from The King of Joseon.

Really really appreciate the wonderful sharing, lovelovelove the BTS pics! :wub: Hope there will be more .. from time to time, do share with the thread here.. ok.

I've re-upload the filming/BTS pics for the thread :)

April 24, 2012

2012-0427_1.jpg

2012-0427_2.jpg

2012-0427_3.jpg

2012-0427_4.jpg

2012-0427_5.jpg

2012-0427_6.jpg

2012-0427_7.jpg

2012-0427_8.jpg

rubie.. you're welcome rubie.. nice to know you.. :)

ok rubie.. i really appreciate with your attitude, i guess you are is kindheart person.. :)

thanks for all update :D

update:

바람이분다. 크레인에 매달려있는 조명들이 걱정된다. 촬영하는 내내 하루도불안하지않은 날들이 없다. 바람이 너무 불어 마음이 심란하다. 그래도 현장이 제일 좋다.  yfrog.com/obra2acj

cr: https://twitter.com/#!/Shywdy

sorry i cann't translate it

ra2ac.jpg

^

Hi urie, thanks very much for the twitpic highlight..

I'm not good in translating either.. mostly guessing using the Google translate but I think it says that on the filming day, the wind was blowing strongly so the crew were cautious as some of the lights were hanging from a crane. The wind was blowing throughout the day so it was something to worry but the scene that day turned out to be the best.

If anyone knows the actual translation, please share with us here. blush.gif

Archived