[Drama 2012] Wild Romance 난폭한 로맨스

melkimx

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiss BTS. Honestly, BTS is way much better than what is shown in the drama. It makes my heart flutter...:sweatingbullets:

However, both LDW and LSY  are kind of serious though. Very different from the BTS we've seen earlier. They were really into the characters of EJ and MY at the moment of the shooting.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=lkciWoTyWqc

eeeeeek! wub.gif seems like they had to do quite a few takes. blush.gif

i am lol at him wiping his nose between takes. must have been cold that day. haha. can anyone translate those little comments they post?

In fact, just like EJ was unsure about how MY felt about her until the end, I wasn't sure either!  I knew he liked her, but I didn't even realize his feelings for EJ were so strong until he told her when he was tying her shoes at the very end!

If  yuo notice at the end when they show it again he wasn't sorprised but  worry that scene they must've tweeked it to show at the end but in the  beginning we get that impression because I think it came from EJ's point  of view, the imo was so good at her manipulation game that she planted  that seed on their heads so both girls were supposed to be confused and  leave MY regardless of the outcome, she wasn't counting on both being  rescued.  As soon MY rescued EJ she was already doubting MY even though  he didn't move from her side till he took off the tape and she woke up  and cough then  he moved to help with JH... As someone said he could've  just get one of the girls out and rescue the other but he wanted to see  that she wasn't hurt.  That is the reason he got upset when she asked  the question why did you save me?  when he expected her to ask how did  you know it was me? But this lady spun her last spiderweb and EJ and JH  got trapped in it again but JH asked the right question she asked him at  the hospital why did you saved me because EJ had my clothes on and  obviously he explained it to her and that is when she took off the ring  and told him to talk to EJ.  From EJ's point she wasn't sure but he  expected her to trust him but he knew what that lady told them right  before he got there so he gave her a month and a half to clear her head  and for the effect of that lady's words to go away before talking to her  again.

Agree with both of you!  and like that both of you show how well the PD did, in having us, the audience, as confused as poor EJ was. The Imo got us confused, too!  I did notice at the pool, that MY cradled EJ's face before he went to see if JH was okay. I remember at the time that confused me because I'd bought into the Imo's "logic," so I thought MY thought he was rescuing JH, but his behavior immediately after indicated he was glad it was EJ  (I later realized his frown was not of surprise, but of concern that he didn't see EJ breathing yet), and I didn't know how he'd known it was EJ (even though, in retrospect, they kept focusing on the sneakers). At the time I figured it was because he figured EJ was strong and would last longer, and JH was fragile and needed to be rescued first.  Anyway, they did a good job of keeping us all confused, and inside of EJ's head!

Wild Romance (Spoilers included)

I am actually surprised that I am writing again, just a week after my Super Show 4 blog entry. Haha…but I guess I feel strongly enough about Wild Romance for me to actually write about it. Anyway, I realised I last wrote about a drama almost 2 years ago! I’ve watched so many dramas in these 2 years, but I’ve been too lazy to actually write about them. Lol~

So what is it that makes me want to write about Wild Romance?

I would say it’s the low viewer ratings.

Weird, you might say. Why am I reviewing a drama that didn’t bring in the viewers?

Well, I just thought that I should try to understand why that is the case. Because I asked myself: Why are people not watching this drama? Or rather, why are people in Korea not watching it?

I tried to think of some reasons, and indeed I found some. But before I continue, I must say that I actually liked the drama. Lee Dong Wook aside (if I even dare to make him an “aside”!), the drama actually had a good plot. I’m one who likes drama with a sports setting because I had my own good experiences with sports, so from the get-go I was already looking forward to the drama. Add Lee Dong Wook into the mix, and well, I just couldn’t turn the drama away. Haha…

Ok back to the plot. When I say “good plot”, I’m looking at it as a whole. If we actually dissect it into 2 parts i.e. the main plot and the sub-plot, we come to realise that the sub-plot takes up too much airtime. I like that the process of finding out who the stalker was brought out the Sherlock Holmes in all of us. However, the main plot, I feel, fell short of something compelling to bring the viewers in. I love sports and Lee Dong Wook and I admire women like Lee Shi Young who are active in sports, so perhaps that was why I continued watching the drama, but I felt that there wasn’t enough focus on the relationship of the leads. It was exciting till mid-way in the show when Eun Jae goes to the mountains in search of Moo Yeol who ran away to reflect on his life, but when the old flame Jong Hee appeared, I thought the relationship of the main couple got such a back seat that I wonder whether they were really the main couple.

Bringing the old flame into the frame is almost like a given in any modern mainstream drama, but having seen many dramas, I realise that there are some dramas that actually add value when they bring in the old flame. The old flame disrupts the process of building the current couple’s relationship but you still see many interactions between the current couple. I didn’t feel that was done in Wild Romance. The way Eun Jae just observed from afar and let the man she likes try to rekindle his relationship with his old flame just didn’t work for me. Yes, at some point, I could understand why she decided to take a step back, but the drama would have been more exciting (and more befitting of the title!) if she had gone head-to-head with Jong Hee and fought for Moo-Yeol’s love. Instead, the fighting, as it were, was only evident in the very 1st episode when Jong Hee suddenly popped up. After that, it was just her resigning to her fate…how would viewers identify with Wild Romance if the romance wasn’t wild enough?

Then I thought about it and realised….

Maybe the “wild” in Wild Romance didn’t refer to the main couple’s relationship. Looking at the just the final 2 episodes alone, perhaps the wild romance referred to the love the housekeeper had for Moo Yeol? You have to take a step back and look the plot as a whole to realise this. “Wild Romance” seemed like a misnomer because maybe we expected too much from the main couple. But if we look at the lengths the housekeeper go to just to have Moo Yeol by her side, then we can say that it was indeed romance at its wildest. Then it wouldn’t be surprising that one of the few things that gripped me (other than Lee Dong Wook’s fabulous acting!) was the actress who played the housekeeper role. She was really good at playing the insignficant other whose ugly side rears it head because of her repressed feelings. I especially like her lines when her statement was taken at the police station, especially the bit which goes like “A princess falling in love is a fairy tale; a witch falling in love is a curse”. That doesn’t mean her actions were justified. Especially when so many people were hurt along the way. But just at that moment whe she bared her feelings, I thought: Wow, that is so true.

If that romance that the housekeeper crafted on her own isn’t wild enough, I don’t know what else is. The question is whether this was actually intended. When the writers came up with the title, did they really want us to focus on the housekeeper-master relationship? If they did, then I’d give them 2 thumbs up because they managed to make me think deeper about the plot. If it was unintended i.e. if the wild romance was supposed to refer to the Eun Jae-Moo Yeol relationship, then I would think that it wasn’t compelling enough. At least not compelling enough for viewers who were looking forward to just how wild their relationship would be.

Ok, guess that’s enough reviewing already. Can I just gush about Lee Dong Wook now? Lol~

When I found out he was going to act as a baseball player, I was thinking: DAEBAK. My favourite actor as a sportsman. That is just so cool. Well, he was cool…but I think he’s too skinny to play the sportsman persona. He was fine when he just got out of the military and acted in Scent of a Woman (which I think is one of the best dramas in recent years!), but I thought he was a bit too skinny for a baseball player. Haha but he’s still very charming! Everytime I see him act, I admire the way he conveys his emotions and engages people with just his eyes. Of course other parts of his face come together to make a very good-looking man, but I like his eyes the most.

To revisit his wonderful ‘eye acting’, I’m going to rewatch some of the recent dramas he’s acted in. Bought the Scent of a Woman DVD some time ago, but never got down to watching it!

That’s it from me this time around. I’ll leave this blog with a beautiful MV I saw on Youtube. Till the next post...

http://redutdgal.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/wild-romance/

20 hours ago

16 of 16 episodes seen

0 of 1 people found this review helpful

Wild Romance

by canyousaywhuut

Overall  9

Story  7

Acting/Cast  9

Music  8

Rewatch Value  8

I watched this drama because it belonged to the top 5 of this season's dramas. I watched this drama without knowing that Lee Si Young was the lead actress. I was surprised that she looked "tomboyish" while she was all girly in the previous dramas of hers like Boys Over Flowers and Playful Kiss. I also didn't know that Lee Dong Wook was lead actor. His look in the poster is really surprising. He looked like a gangster (well, he's sort of a gangster in the drama). All I can I say is they portrayed their roles well.

What really surprised me was Lee Si Young's acting. She was really funny! Her actions and expressions are superb!

I also loved the love line between Director Kim and Eun Jae's best friend, Dong Ah. They're a funny couple.

What I didn't like was JESSICA! I don't hate Jessica, I just don't like her. Starting from SNSD, her looks disgust me. She tries to act cute when she's not. Going back to her acting, it was ok for a beginner. The way she looked in the drama is different from the way she looks when she's with her "groupmates," SNSD.

I ALSO LOVED EUN JAE'S FAMILY! The way they idolize the Blue Seagulls is just too funny!

One should watch this drama when he/she wants to laugh hard and literally ROFL! =))) show less

reportI found this review Helpful Not Helpful

I don't know for sure but I am one of those who believe that Lee Dong Wook is dating his Scent of a Woman costar, Kim Sun Ah, who I just love. And if you have seen SOAW, you would see why. Their chemistry together is absolutely off the charts. And he did change agencies in December of last year (I think) and is now with KSA's agency. I think his chemistry with Lee Si Young is that of a good friend or buddy. It was good enough for Wild Romance but nothing like what LDW has with KSA on SOAW.

Lee Dong Wook has good chemistry with all the actresses he worked with. He and LDH in My Girl are simply cuteness overload, but his best performance is definitely in La Dolce Vita. I watched the drama because of Oh Yun Soo, but Lee Dong Wook and Park Si Yeon are great finds. I have to admit that SOAW is not my cup of tea. Any Kdramas have demonized characters (like the second female lead) and cancer-inflicted patients just put me off--although I do like the ending. I think KSA's chemistry with the second male lead, Um Kijoon is way more impressive and unique. But if anyone here has ever watched City Hall, they would all agree that the explosive chemistry between KSA and Cha Seung Won is the best of the best.

I am not shippers for either KSA-LDW or LDW-LSY. However, my point is, precisely because there are rarely any lovey-dovey scenes between LDW and LSY, I am even more in awe of these two actors' ability to pull it off as the OTP. And our exasperation for not having enough OTP scenes and our almost unanimous rooting for EJ-MY pairing (and the fact that the JH-MY team never exists in all the forums I've visited--except among SNSD fanatics) is greatly indebted to, first and foremost, the layered and intricately-woven characterization done by writer Park Yun Sun. Secondly, I have to say, in writer Park's "love" dramas, the main leads have to be solid actors individually in emoting, because Park is known not to follow any cliches of rom-com and conventions of soapy dramas. For instance, in Alone in Love, there are no kissing scenes between the main leads--not even a cheek kiss. In Wild Romance, EJ is boyish from the beginning to the end. I am actually so relieved and gratified that EJ doesn't transform into a pretty lady. I really hate the formulas of "ugly duck turning to a swan" (that's why I was so upset when SYJ took upon a project like Personal Taste!!) EJ's red dress ends up to be a disaster, which is really writer Park's parody of the rom-com. In Park's love universe, kissing does not necessarily seal the relationship; on the country, it sometimes shows the "crack" of a relationship that needs kisses to cover up the lack, as best exemplified by the seemingly endless kiss scenes between MY and JH.

(Sorry to say this,but I would prefer to watch a drama like WR with minimal kiss scenes than torturing myself with 16 episodes of Lie To me where kisses become nonsense. What a waste for a gifted actor like Kang Ji-hwan.)

At first, I was a bit surprised that Park offered LSY the role of EJ since so far, LSY has not had a "meaty" role while the story of Wild Romance is constructed more from the perspective of EJ. In Birth of the Riches, the character of Tae Hee is actually thinly written. It is the personal charisma of LSY that makes the character stand out. (In fact, at the end, the highlight of the drama was all Bo Tae Hee and all Korean media raved about LSY's performance.) But after I started watching WR, I don't think they can find another actress who can nail EJ's character better than LSY. The reason is not only that she has comedy chops or she is good at action scenes. I think it's because LSY is a boxer and she is known not to be afraid of "physical contact" even in her WGM days. The intimacy between EJ and MY is actually built upon the physical "trust" in a most literal sense of the word--she is his bodyguard and he entrusts his bodily safety to her. If it were another actress who sees skinship as something verging on sexual, then the bonding between EJ and MY would not come out naturally at all.

I am probably one of the few, like Dahee, watch Wild Romance beacuse of Park Yun Sun. She does not disappoint me at all. Wild Romance has been a wild ride, but it is a meaningful wide ride. (I will write a longer commentary later). Wild Romance is not really about the romance between EJ and MY, but about how falling in love means uncovering the wild demon that hovers within in each character in the story. For EJ, it is her abandonment issue. Throughout the story, she keeps projecting her childhood trauma unto the world around her. The misunderstanding of MY having an affair with SH presents to the audience in the most farcical way possible, but it actually makes me teary. I know some of you were initially bothered by LSY's exaggerated mimics, but her silliness and violence is the mask she wears in order to hide her vulnerability and insecurity. The same for MY. DA, DS, JH and all others in the story.

I apologize for such a long post. But all in all, Wild Romance is, like 10-Asiae puts it rightly, is a drama that "warm my heart like fire."

If you know Korean, you can read this article here. Basically, the critics give high marks to Wild Romance although the rating is low.

http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.htm?sec=news9&a_id=2012022115431264000

Guest rochinipark

my 1st 2012 drama finished.loved it.

the title of Wild Romance definitely misleading cos romance was on the down low on this show.sure we hv an OTP but when only in last eps some skinship happens is mark of Park Yeon Seon-writer nim style.Big bosses at KBS should've let her name the drama more appropriately.

Wookie i'd say the best thg abt this drama next to its script.loved the drama especially the way it unfolds,every1 given meaty stuff and the end.

low ratings is not bad mark of this show,i dun like MoonSun.

Guest noopie_1

Hi everyone!!! It has been sometime since the last time i posted here!

Finally I have finished watching wild romance! What I feel about this drama, I love the chemistry between LDW and LSY! I agree with previous comment to say that LDW has a great chemistry with whoever he works with. I love all muyeol and eunjae scenes! Together with manager Kim and Dong ah. These 2 couples are my fave in WR. Of course, my number one fave still Muyeol and Eunjae ^^

And Jong Hee's character is getting sweet and sweeter near to the end of episodes :D I'm happy that MY ended up nicely with her.

I love the ending, although it's kinda short. Wanna see more romance between MY and EJ, for example they're dating scenes....hehehe!

Another interesting review on WR

http://blogphilic.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/wild-romance-a-halftime-review/#comment-1078

Wild Romance: A (Halftime) Review.

Wild Romance (2012)

picture credits to: wiki.d-addicts.com/Wild_Romance

Currently, as of this review – Wild Romance is only at episode 10 and I’ve only watched the first 9.

I meant to write this earlier, or wait till the story finishes before I write another one of those pseudo-reviews I do for shows that have owned my heart at certain points in time or another – but then I caught on with episode 9 last night, and could not resist.

Oh Eun-jae, how I feel for you. You, what a sweetheart girl with so much spunk and personality!

Lately the Kdrama scene is spoiled with choices – plenty of dramas with plenty potential or simply plenty different flavors to offer – but I feel like I’ve unconsciously been leaning towards the underdogs. They’re not ones being raved about by the typical dramabloggers but frankly: I don’t care. I just know that they’ve touched me and I’m really glad for that.

Wild Romance obviously falls in this category. I say underdog because it’s not receiving a lot of love ratings-wise in Korea and it’s not really receiving love from yes, the English dramabloggers I frequent either. However – I’m pretty sure that it, like any other underrated shows, has its own avid fanbase. I jumped into this show because of my love for His Hotness Lee Dong Wook (what? It’s true!) and it being touted as a romantic comedy – something I fiercely appreciate at this particular point in time as school’s being all rather infelicitous with me this term – but find myself, as I often do, surprised to be so taken by Lee Shi-Kyung instead, in her portrayal of Eun-jae.

For one, she is OMG hilariousssssssssssss (I should probably capitalize this because man, she’s had me in stitches almost every episode!) in her portrayal of Eun-jae – totally no holds-barred in acting comically. For another, her character is adorable – the hair is, I admit, borderlines on an “OMG fugly!” remark every fifteen minutes (Must. Resist.) and her wardrobe? Someone fire her stylist! Nevertheless, on an overall spectrum, all these collectively work in giving us Eun-jae.

Strangely, as much as I love Lee Dong Wook, I don’t have a particular affinity towards Mu-Yeol, our anti-hero-of-sorts … but I don’t hate him either. Frankly, I think he’s a douchebag, especially in recent episodes featuring scenes of him and The Annoying Ex-Girlfriend (whom can someone PLEASE for the love of good acting, someone PLEASE tell these directors to stop employing idols who are better off left being their pretty faces selves)  but a harmless one. So yes, so far he doesn’t strike my fancy, but I’m not particularly opposed to him either. Not yet?

I’m writing this because episode 9 totally broke my heart; those scenes of Eun-jae just looking on as Mu-Yeol and whatshername walked together everywhere hand-in-hand and that stupid scene (okay, excuse the riled viewer in me) of the two visiting that painted wall … oh my heart, it feels for Eun-jae. As she looked on, her eyes trying so hard to hold back tears and then her being able to picture the lovebirds as they were in the past …oh my heart, I can’t describe enough just how heartbroken for Eun-jae I felt.

Now I am off to watch episode 10, already bracing myself (and heart) for the pain that Eun-jae’s sure to encounter. I will admit – the truth is I am not entirely sold on them as a couple or more specifically of him falling for her, so I don’t quite mind if they end the show with an Unconventional Ending (though Kdrama basically created a PhD on cliches, if there ever is one!) BUT I’ll be damned if they give or portray her as any less than she deserves. Eun-jae is a character that I feel to be so true-to-life: not the prettiest, not particularly bookish smart, nothing particularly outstanding – normal as the normal everyperson is .. yet these external aspects of her don’t define who she is inside. Such that so what that she’s not attractive or dainty, all cutesy like Annoying Ex-Girlfriend? This girl, she’s so much spunk that if she is a real person – I’ll be sure to make friends with, no lie.

So here’s my score for this halftime-report-of-sorts of Wild Romance : 7.5/10.

Much like an acquired taste, this show is of a specific flavor. It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and that’s okay. True to any other underdog show (the most recent being the lovely Me Too, Flower which I reviewed here) – Wild Romance isn’t one to call attention to itself. Of course it has its share of flaws – totally under-utilizing Oh Man Seok and Hwang Sun Hee for instance – but though its star may not shine as bright as a particular Moon & Sun pairing, it has something worthy: heart.

I don’t know about you, but more than anything else – that one’s always a winner in my book.

Wild Romance: An Overall Review.

Wild Romance (2012)

picture credits to: wiki.d-addicts.com/Wild_Romance

I wrote a halftime review of this particular series a few weeks ago – or has it been a month? – previously here and as promised (whether or not anyone is reading this…), I’m back for the overall overview.

There are glitches in the ending, I will say that – some are wrapped too nicely, others weirdly ignored and the stalker-storyline seemed to end too sporadically for my taste (plus, whatever happened to Cute Bartender Guy? Did he really die?) but OMG The Cute that takes place in episode 16 is well-worth me concluding this much: Wild Romance, you are way far from perfect – but in my stint of watching you, oh I loved you and enjoyed you so.

Episode 16, in my opinion, could very well be watched as an independent episode on its own. Although I have qualms about the overall arc the scriptwriter took in writing this ending  - the ending itself is very well-played out. Too often Kdramas don’t end very well – sometimes compressing everything in say, the last 20-30 minutes, other times ending in the way I hate the most: Supposed Grand Kiss to mark the finale and sometimes even the time-jump (which I tend to appreciate, if done right). This therefore, is where Wild Romance wins – this final episode is well-paced and especially so in terms of the final conflict between the heroine, ever-awesome Yoo Eun Jae and not-so-douchebaggy-no-more Park Mu Yeol. It is so very cutely wrapped up, but not in that too-good-to-be-true manner. (Obviously I am still internally squeeing)

I finally checked out the ratings for the show and ouch, it really didn’t do very well at all. But as I’d said before, I don’t really follow these numbers and for once, I sincerely am glad I didn’t. I jumped into Wild Romance completely on impulse (besides okay, my love for His Hotness Lee Dong Wook whom I will watch in just about anything at this point in time) and am super happy to have enjoyed myself thoroughly. It’s a breezy watch and the friendship-to-romance is slow and agonizing (episode 9 still breaks my heart) but so well-played out. This type of love story never gets old to me and always gets me, but it’s hard to find dramas that actually do it right –  and so here, another pointer goes to Wild Romance for playing out the romance in such understated way, yet so awesomely done. It also helps, I think, that the two actors seem to genuinely get along well with one another with such friendly vibes – I am assuming off-screen too.

Too be honest, I still have a grudge against the use of an idol because let’s be honest: Kang Jong Hee would be a much more favored character had she been played more strongly by an actress who can actually really act. Plus I kind of hate the show for totally under-utilizing both Oh Man Seok – whom I last watched in the surprisingly enjoyable What’s Up – and Hwang Sun Hee. Both of them are extremely talented actors, in my opinion, who really ought to be given meatier roles and importance.

Nevertheless. I loved what I loved, laughed so heartily while watching this – haven’t done this with a drama in a while – and am so genuinely pleased to discover another actress I intend to be on the lookout for: Im Joo Eun, she who played Kim Dong Ah so fantastically. She moved me as Doo Ri in What’s Up but I am 100% a fan now after seeing her here. I hope she gets noticed. Oh plus the romance between Director Kim and her? Too cute buddy, too cute. Especially in this last episode – OMG The Cute overkill had me giggling all the way. Too cute.

Alas, after all that is said and done – 16 episodes later, to be exact – my verdict: 7/10.

Not enough to be a keeper, despite the many aspects I genuinely did enjoy – but enough to recommend to others to pickup.

Hey you, if you’re thinking of watching this? Stop. Just watch it! Show is pretty darn awesome.

Guest 1nspiration

For those who are miss WR... and want to laugh some more with LDW... LDW has acted in a funny movie before. :D I really laughed my butt off watching the movie. :D It's called, The Perfect Couple (최강 로맨스).

http://www.mysoju.com/korean-movie/the-perfect-couple/

:D

I just wanna say that I loved everything that you said. I actually makes me tear up a little seeingall the raves about LSY after WR ended -- a far cry from all the negative feedback she was getting when it was first announced that she was going to be the female lead of this drama. I have read numerous comments in blogs saying that they won't watch the drama just because she's in it. *quoted image* She's proven her detractors wrong.

I too agree on the goody buddies/brother-sister vibe between LDW and LSY. They really do seem to get along rather well with each other offscreen and that affectionate ruffling of her hair and arm around her shoulder by LDW after that shoot with the snakelady is presh :) and LDW seems to be really endeared to her in an oppa-ish/big brother kind of way. I would love to see them in another project together *quoted image*

Well. Kdrama and Kpop fandom can be insane. You know, years ago, when my all-time favorite actress Gong Hyo Jin was not as big as she is now, Kdrama fans criticized her for being so ugly and having an ajumma look, especially compared to her peers like Son Ye Jin and Song Hyo Kyo. Even Gyo Hyo Jin was diffident about her looks. Now, after Thank you, Pasta , Greatest Love, and getting recognition from numerous acting awards in films and dramas, Gong Hyo Jin has become a much beloved and respected actress in Korea. Koreans now call her Gong Buyri (cuteness) since they find her endearing and lovely. Of course, at this point, we cannot compare LSY with GHJ since GHJ came out at the late 1990s while LSY only started her acting career in 2008. What I want to say is, Lee Shi-young is hardworking and she is devoted to becoming a real actress. She has gradually overcome some of the prejudice against her through her works. Look at how many films and TV series she has under her belt in a short span of 4 years ! LSY once told the interviewer, she didn't mind the negative comments by her detractors. She will use her works and acting skills to prove herself. That's the right spirit!

I think Wild Romance is LSY's most substantial role and the character of EJ is also best performance so far. I'll be lying if I say that her acting is without shortcomings. Since LSY is always typecast either in the comedy or action role, she does bring some old habits from previous dramas. Don't get me wrong. If it were EJ's gimmicks, I wouldn't have so much pleasure watching WR. Especially after the introduction of an insufferable ex-girlfriend, I almost gave up WR once for all. But what impressed me is that LSY demonstrates that she has a wider range of acting than what is expected of her. For me, LSY is most brilliant in those quiet moments. For instance, I love the scene when she went to see her mother in the flower shop. LSY has such a minutely controlled performance right there. It is precisely the contrast between exaggerated facial expressions and downright silent despondency that makes me sympathize with EJ. EJ is simple, but she is not a simpleton. She is a multi-faceted character, like she knows about herself, to be inwardly awkward and difficult person to handle with. Compared to MY who is open and honest  about his own emotion despite a facade of stubbornness and smugness, EJ,like DA, is actually a person who "hides" behind her nonchalant and funny face. The ending confession of MY is so wonderful since MY wants her to open herself up, freely "throw" her problems and doubts to him, just like baseball pitches--one throws, one catches. This is by far the most touching and ingeniously written love confession among all the 100+ Kdramas I've watched! I just love writer Park!!!

Another thing is, just like Gong Hyo Jin sacrificed her looks in the film Crush and Blush, Lee has no qualms about being "ugly" in Wild Romance. But with EJ's curly short hair, I find LSY so charming and irresistibly beautiful for the first time. I guess this hairstyle really accentuates her expressive eyes and baby face (am I the only one who adores her impeccable skin???) Every time MY cups her little face, I feel so envious since I too want to pinch her cheeks. :wub:  LSY is pretty open about her cosmetic surgery (well, who doesn't have cosmetic surgery?? The only difference is whether one admits it or not), but seriously, can you do cosmetic surgery to get such a pair of sparking and intelligent eyes? Sometimes I do think her eyes are too smart for a character like EJ. :sweatingbullets:

I guess it's obvious that I have this incredible girl crush. HA. Nate has an article on how LSY has her best appearance in Wild Romance. and even with the terrible ratings, the damage seems minimal.

http://news.nate.com/view/20120224n19764

Guest incarnadine

^ just a comment about the hairstyle. I read somewhere that only one with a really pretty face can pull off a really short (like a pixie) hairstyle, because that hairstyle accentuates one's features. That's exactly what I thought of LSY when she sported really short hair for her role as EJ in WR.

I dunno why but I absolutely loved her expressions when she immediately jumped to teasing her friend Dong Ah after the letter's first kissing session with Manager Kim :D so cute.

EDIT:  I was browsing through Dramabeans and I saw that WR is on the top 5 most popular list on DramaFever! Yayyy :w00t:

http://dramatic.weebly.com/reviews.html

A very analytical review if anyone wants to read it, mostly about what the writer wanted vs the PD's execution of the script..

It seems the original title was Strike Out - Not Out but the PD or KBS did not like it.

20120224_wild_romance_01.jpgNXXZ7.jpg6pCKU.jpg2tVEJ.jpghjtc1.jpg

GrlNU.jpgy9Riu.jpgTQB5f.jpgIY5Fi.jpgtumblr_lzgru3G0zy1r799rxo1_400.jpgvkFIw.jpg1dhfS.jpg

Look this was done for me and I wasn't sure if I should post it here. But since this was my gripe and I love  Wookie. Sorry about posting it here. But I actually like the drawings and it would be a waste if no one saw it.

1144874815.jpg

Isn't my viki dongsaeng cute lupita? She likes manga and she was asked to look up goodies for the dramas I am on.See you guys I have spammed enough.

my 1st 2012 drama finished.loved it.

the title of Wild Romance definitely misleading cos romance was on the down low on this show.sure we hv an OTP but when only in last eps some skinship happens is mark of Park Yeon Seon-writer nim style.Big bosses at KBS should've let her name the drama more appropriately.

Wookie i'd say the best thg abt this drama next to its script.loved the drama especially the way it unfolds,every1 given meaty stuff and the end.

low ratings is not bad mark of this show,i dun like MoonSun.

Wookie is <33333  already missing MY like mad T_T

Anyway, to your point about the drama's title, it's a bit of of an iffy issue. If you guys want a more in depth analysis on Park Yeon Seon's approach in WR, you guys might want to check out X's review on WR (which is so freaking brilliant without divulging any spoilers at all):

http://dramatic.weeb.../wildrom03.html

The drama wasn't supposed to be named Wild Romance in the first place, but Strike Out - Not Out.

If that explains why WR isn't really all about romance. :)

===

Oopps, just noticed that somebody has posted the link above. ^^

Guest incarnadine

kler2009 and ripgal,

Thanks so, so much for sharing the links to X's review on WR. I am so glad he deemed the drama worthy of his time to review :w00t: I will keep on re-reading the review until my eyes are sore :D

ck1Oz,

Those drawings are awesome!!!

Wookie is <33333  already missing MY like mad T_T

Anyway, to your point about the drama's title, it's a bit of of an iffy issue. If you guys want a more in depth analysis on Park Yeon Seon's approach in WR, you guys might want to check out X's review on WR (which is so freaking brilliant without divulging any spoilers at all):

http://dramatic.weeb.../wildrom03.html

The drama wasn't supposed to be named Wild Romance in the first place, but Strike Out - Not Out.

If that explains why WR isn't really all about romance. :)

===

Oopps, just noticed that somebody has posted the link above. ^^

Hi Ripgal, great to see you here! I frequent your blog and I really enjoy your writings!:wub:

The website you provide here is also another favorite of mine. The blogger always gives an insider's point of view about Korean drama production and sometimes I wonder whether the blogger works in the industry. I love it!

One question lingering in my mind is, is it fair to compare WR to a masterpiece like Alone in Love? Or can we even count Alone in Love as the exemplary of Park Yeon-seon oeuvre?

The reason I am pondering upon this question is that Alone in Love is actually adapted from Hisashi Nozawa. I read the original novel in Japanese since I am a fan of Nozawa. The mainstay of the drama, particularly the relationship between Eun-ho and Dong-jin is quite loyal to the original novel. (For instance, they finally reconciled with each other by taking upon a trip together.In Alone in Love, Dong-jin thought that Eun-ho wanted to commit suicide thanks to the misinformation of our ever lovely ji-ho). I read the novel like  in 1999, and I do not remember the exact details. But the tone of the original novel is rather dark, as typical of Nozawa's works, and the side characters are not given much of the details. I appreciate Park for fleshing out the secondary and even tertiary characters, and add comic relief to the story. For instance, the love story between Ji-ho and the doctor is repeated in WR as the love line between DA and Manager Kim. There indeed has no minor characters in the story, since Park's interest is more in a constellation of the characters and the world they live in, than the triumph and failure of an individual character.

But for me, I think the success of Alone in Love has to be attributed to the director Ha Ji-seung who, if I remember correctly, used to be cinematographer or photographer. Ha insisted on taking it slow and finished shooting before Alone in Love before AIL went on broadcasting in SBS. Son Ye Jin also said that without Ha's patience for developing different facets of the Eun-ho, she would not have such a groundbreaking performance. Also, the soundtrack of Alone in Love was done by a great ensemble of musicians. All in all, Alone in Love has the textbook perfection that very few TV dramas (not only kdramas) can vie for.

This being said, I agree with a lot of people that the major problem of WR is not the script writer, but the execution and the marketing strategy. The directing, the editing and the music direction sometimes let me feel like that they are ruining the hard work by the writer and all the talented actors and actresses. But then, I wonder, whether a work like Alone in Love can even bode well among the audience today? Somehow I feel like the kdrama audience are being dumbed down through the recycling of the same cliches for years. The packaging of Kdramas gets glossier but the ideas are actually impoverished. But the point is, the majority of the audience are habituated into the cliches. So here we have this vicious cycles. :unsure:

Anyway. I'd better stop ranting. I am just grateful that we still have Park Yeon-seon! :wub: