[Movie 2011] Sunny/Sseo-ni 써니

FemaleQuixote

Ho-jeong Yu, Sim Eun-Kyeong, Hee-kyung Jin, Min-yeong Kim, Su-hee Go Sunny/Sseo-ni 써니

sunny2.jpg

sunny1.jpg

Details:
Cast: Ho-jeong Yu, Sim Eun-Kyeong, Hee-kyung Jin, Min-yeong Kim, Su-hee Go
Directed: Hyeong-Cheol Kang
Genre: Comedy | Drama
Runtime: 02:04:06
Production Co:
Toilet Pictures
Korea Release date 4 May 2011     already released

Synopsis:
New high-school transfer student Na-Mi comes from a small town  in Jeolla Province to her new school in the capital city of Seoul. When  she is nervous, her small town dialect comes out & she starts to  shake. On her first day at her new school she is bullied by others.  Coming to her help is a group of girls. The girls are Choon-Hwa - known  for her strong sense of loyalty & excellent fighting skills,  heavyset Jang-Mi - who badly wishes to have plastic surgery to get  double eye-lids, Jin-Hee - excellent when it comes to spewing profanity,  Geum-Ok - interested in literature, Bok-Hee - dreams of one day  becoming Ms. Korea and Su-Ji - always arrogant. Na-Mi quickly becomes  part of their group. When the group confronts rival girls known as  Sonyeo Sidae (Girls Generation), Na-Mi spews curse words she picked up  from her grandmother. Because of Na-Mi the girls are able to avoid a  crisis. from IMDB

The next work of Director Kang Hyeong-cheol of "Speedy Scandal". About  the fun incidents that happen when women search for their high school  friends.

Na-mi is the new girl at school who just moved from the countryside.
Whenever  she's nervous she can't control her accent and one day one she is  laughed at by the school bullies.Just then, a group of girls jump in to  help. They are Chun-hwa, the most righteous girl in Jindeok Girl's High,  unattractive Jang-mi who is obsessed with big eyes, Jin-hee the cursing  queen, literature-loving girl Geum-ok and her monstrous powers,  peculiar Bok-hee, who dreams of winning the beauty pageant, and cold,  arrogant Suji. Na-mi joins them to form group 'SUNNY', promising each  other they will stay together forever.
But a sudden accident tears  them apart. 25 years later, married and living with a fine husband and a  beautiful daughter, Na-mi still feels something lacks from her life.
One  day, she runs into Chun-hwa and feeling joy from the encounter she  decides to find other members of SUNNY too. Stepping out of everyday  life devoted to her family, Na-mi begins her search of friends from the  past, and remembering the dazzling friendship of the time she finds  herself at the happiest moment of her life.

id="watch-headline-title"Sunny (써니) - 2011 Korean Movie Trailer (English Sub)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chopper!

i watched this two months ago, cried like a big baby lols

the main girl is so weird and cute, she's hilarious! i laughed my butt off when she started getting all freaky when confronted by the sonyeoshidae girls XD gosh, i wish i had friends like them in my childhood!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a guy and I really liked this movie. I don't think that this is a movie for girls because there are so many enjoyable moments for everyone. I would recommend this strongly for those of you who have finished high school to help you understand things a bit better.

The acting, directing, music, plot and story telling I thought were superb. 

*Also if you're a new fan of Kang Sora (ex from We Got Married), she does a great job here.

Guest kayana20

I am reconnecting with all my friend because I realize they help me so much in my life but the main thing I got from this movie is you are the protagonist of your life. The choices and people you meet help shape you and lead you to where you want to go. I love this movie and will be buying it.

• 3 weeks later...

this is definitely one of the best k-movies i've watched! i loved it. i'm surprised that there hasn't been many replies to this thread.

Guest toGETherONE

i too watched this back when, and a nice piece about 'sistas, united we stand.' the guys are on the sidelines holding our coats and purses. kkk~

• 2 weeks later...

i just watch this last week... surprisingly it really good movie...

Their friendship so beautiful... i love every moment in this film...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lovelovelove this movie! It's funny.. it's sweet.. it's heartbreaking (a bit) but it's truly most heartwarming through and through! :wub:

I'm glad that I finally watched this much-talked about movie that took 2011 by surprise and rightfully so!

Sunny (2011) Movie Review by JAMES MUDGE

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/sunny-2011-movie-review/

Sunny-2011-Movie-Image-2-600x400.jpg

Sunny-2011-Movie-Image-3-600x400.jpg

Sunny-2011-Movie-Image-1-600x400.jpg

logo-2011-11-17.png

December 8, 2011

Sunny: Movie Review

by Maggie Lee THR

The Bottom Line

A sassy celebration of sisterhood with heart, soul and humor.

Director

Kang Hyoung-chul

Screenwriter

Kang Hyoung-chul, adaptation by Lee Byung-heon

Cast

You Ho-jeong, Shim Eun-kyung, Jin Hee-kyung, Kang So-ra, Min Hyo-rin, Kim Shi-hoo

Sunny-2011-Movie-Poster.jpg

Wickedly funny and wholeheartedly tender, the goodwill, pluck and zappy 80s pop songs beaming out of "Sunny" are totally infectious.

BUSAN, South Korea -- Wickedly funny and wholeheartedly tender, the goodwill, pluck and zappy 80s pop songs beaming out of Sunny are totally infectious. A dramedy about the life-changing reunion of seven, fortysomething women who were best friends in high school, Sunny is easily Korea's feel-good film of the year. Kang Hyeung-chul, whose charming family comedy Scandal Makers became a giant sleeper hit, ups his own ante in production scope as well as emotional range. The director-screenwriter's large ensemble of 14 characters all stand out, and their checkered personal experiences are deepened by a nostalgic but not artificially rosy historical dimension.

The film sold 7,400,000 tickets back home and if not for the language barrier, would make the perfect girls' night out in any multiplex in the world. It can still shine in some Asian markets and achieve positive word-of-mouth in DVD circuits beyond.

Na-mi (You Ho-jeong) is stuck in a stale marriage to a high-flying but unaffectionate husband and bullied by her moody teenage daughter Yae-bin. While visiting her mother in hospital, she re-encounters high school friend Chun-hwa (Jin Hee-kyung), who is in the terminal stages of cancer. With two months left to live, she asks Na-mi to look up all the members of their high school clique “Sunny” for a reunion. She first locates Jang-mi (Koh Soo-hee), an unsuccessful insurance salesperson. They hire a private eye to get hold of three more members, but Su-jin (Kang So-ra as the teenager), the most beautiful and aloof one, eludes their search. Na-mi commissions the detective to find someone else exclusively for her.

Back in the mid-80s, a much more conservative time under military dictatorship, Na-mi arrives in Seoul from Jeolla province to enroll at Jindeok Girls' School. She is bullied for her regional accent and country girl ways until towering, straight-talking and irresistibly cool Chun-hwa takes her side. Together, they form the gang "Sunny" with Jang-min, Su-ji, plus three others: foul-mouthed professor's daughter Jin-hee (Park Jin-joo), barber's daughter Bok-hee (Kim Bo-mi) who dreams of becoming Miss Korea and dentist's daughter Geum-ok (Nam Bo-ra), who has literary aspirations despite a violent streak. In between gang wars and dance sessions, Na-mi has the first adolescent crush on Sang-ho, a gentle music-lover.

Even though Kang's screenplay strays from the traditional three-act movement, at no point does it feel rambling or run out of steam. Instead, it flows gracefully like a continuous stream of golden moments that together comprise a rich coming-of-age experience. Avoiding the usual mawkish or stridently feminist clichés of female friendships, Sunny celebrates a solidarity that's forged in violence and repression.

The girls' early clashes with a rival gang are tinged with the puckish humor of Jin-hee firing swear words like bullets or Na-mi pretending to be possessed. But the harshness and intensity of peer pressure and school authoritarianism escalates in the later episodes, reflected in the reckless use of razor blades, glass bottles and even a blazing firebrand as weapons. A subplot involving Na-mi's brother whose idealism as an anti-government activist gets dragged through the mud and scenes of police crushing demonstrations put the girls' restlessness and small transgressions into perspective. The climactic breakdown of a glue-sniffing classmate symbolizes the implosive national psychosis.

In this light, survival of their friendship and their joie de vivre which is revived in their reunion despite each person having taken hard knocks in life becomes especially precious and comforting. Even the inevitable death of Chun-hwa is not treated in a tear-jerking way. Admittedly, the ending wraps everything up rather too neatly and ideally, but the women’s performance of the Boney M number that give their clique its name is an indescribably warm and stirring moment.

It is rare for a film to develop three or four fully-fledged characters, so it is even more impressive that all seven girls and their adult counterpartshave their distinct quirks and personalities and a diverse range of social backgrounds. While the fates of the adults differ wildly from what the girls envisaged themselves, there is subtle continuity between them.

Much time and attention is invested in their hairstyles, wardrobe and accessories, like Jang-min’s fake eyelashes or Bok-hee’s perms to turn their physical attributes and body language into extensions of their characters.

While technical credits are flawless on all fronts, virtuoso editing can be singled out for effecting the seamless transitions between scenes to evoke a feeling of synchronicity between past and present.

The superb use of 80s pop songs not merely furnishes the story with a vivid nostalgic background, the careful choice of lyrics helps to articulate feelings the characters are unable to express in words, such as the very different moods evoked by Cyndi Lauper singing Time After Time on the radio in the opening, and Tink and Patty's soul-jazz version during end credits.

The first print released theatrically is 124 minutes and trimmed of some swear words to pass a Korean PG-15 rating. The director’s cut screened at the festival is 10 minutes longer and retains more scenes set in the present.

Archived