[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

Actually, there's something about which I've been wondering. When YW was suddenly taken ill in the palace, didn't anyone, especially the King suspect foul play involving her illness?

As the King had repeatedly demonstrated, he was well aware of the Dowager Queen and Lord Yoon's evil deeds and their willingness to even commit murder, to satisfy their selfish greed. Yet, he made no provisions for YW's protection while she was in the palace? Even Hwon was aware of the palace politics. Although he had no power to do much and he was too lovesick to even think straight. But, both of them had to have known that choosing someone not from the Dowager Queen and Lord Yoon's camp, as the designated crown princess, placed the person in mortal danger. :huh:

And, I didn't quite get who was the man that helped Nok and the three girls escape. He was a happy camper waving good-bye to the girls, as they were leaving on the boat. Obviously, he was in on the plot to deceive the Dowager Queen and Lord Yoon. :huh:

I think it was because there was nothing physically wrong with YW. The physicians couldn't find anything medically wrong with her and so there was no way to treat her. The king and Hwon might have suspected something else was in play but there would be no way of proving that, especially given the fact that NY wouldn't have given the Dowager Queen away to save her shamans.

As for the guy who helped the girls escape, I'm not too sure myself why he helped them and them later berated Ny for keeping YW away. My guess is that at that time, YW's life was in danger and it was necessary for her to get away but he didn't think NY would want to keep her away forever, causing Hwon's current illness.

then again it's a drama so we can't expect it to be 100% logical :lol:

I'm enjoying the actors and this show, but I am concerned about this drama's direction and focus because although I like Hwon and Wol and think they make a lovely couple, I don't LOVE them, so I hope the other characters will be developed more. I'm trying to be patient since we've only seen the adults in 2 full episodes, but I will be watching the next couple of episodes very carefully to see if I get a better feel for where the writer is planning to take this show.

This situation is made worse by the fact that I became interested in this drama because of JIW. I didn't have a problem with him taking a second lead role because he appears to be the kind of actor who is more interested in finding interesting characters to portray than he is with his characters being the leads. I also loved reading some of the early character descriptions for his character, so I was hoping to see the type of juicy non-lead role that he had in 49 Days. In 49 Days, his character, The Scheduler, wasn't even the second male lead, instead, he was the third male lead. Yet, JIW managed to make The Scheduler the most memorable character of the show for many viewers because that character was better defined.

I was hoping for the same for Yang-myung, but even though JIW is as talented and charismatic as ever, his character, YM, hasn't been given much to do, but run away from his supporters and pine over Wol, a woman who has no interest in him. At this point, YM isn't even being written as a viable second lead, he's just being written as a poor guy with a sad family situation who has a crush on a woman who is not interested in him. This wouldn't be so sad if YM had some other function in the show, but so far I haven't seen anything. Even his relationship with his brother contains elements related to his crush on Wol. His sole role appears to be that of a sad, love-sick character who hides his pain from the world. Although JIW is as good as ever in bringing YM's feelings to life, I want more for the actor, the character and the show.

Just to be clear, I'm not even necessarily talking about more scene time (although I wouldn't have a problem with that), no, I just want JIW's screen time to be put to better use. If writers/directors/producers are fortunate enough to get a talented, leading man caliber actor as the second male lead for their drama, then they shouldn't waste his talents.

I also want to see this show make better use of Kim Min Seo's acting talents because I think her character, Bo Kyung, has been just as neglected as JIW's character. The relationship dynamics between BY and Hwon and her and several of the other characters are fascinating and I want to see these relationships fleshed out more. I also want to see more of Wol with her shaman mother and sisters and also with her brother. I also find the hint of a possible triangle between Min Hwa, Yeom and Seol very interesting, especially given MH's knowledge of, and possible involvement in, what happened to Wol as a child. Also, please give us more information about Woon.

That's a lot of characters to flesh out, so I was hoping, since this writer also wrote Sungkyunkwan Scandal, that this drama would also have a similar big umbrella storyline that would allow the supporting characters to have significant individual storylines that are independent of the main couple's romance.

Thanks @s@nbi for the translation. but the translation reads as "she has gotten hurt" it doesnt say that she has fallen sick. How was she hurt? Was she really punished????? Ep.9 written preview is : Na Dae Gil who brought Wol into the place is fearful of furious king, and on the ground of Wol is guilty of regicide sinner for offending the king’s body, he orders Wol to be tattooed on the forehead as criminal and exiled to the borderland. What did she do to offend the king's body. Is touching the forehead of the king's is forbidden. What exactly has the human amulet has to do when she enters the room of a person to take in his evils??? Physical contact is forbidden???

I am really confused. Can someone give proper explanation as to wht is exactly happening in the ep.9 and 10 written preview?????

thanks.

This may not sound logical at all and it will be too easy but if I am Nok Young, I will definitely use my magic against the Queen Dowager and Lord Yoon and the entire problem regarding politics and YW will be solved! :w00t:

Will it be against “heaven” if she will use it against the QD and Yoon? Why the old shaman uses the talisman against Hwon then? fury.gif

I am excited about the written preview for both episodes 9 & 10 but I can't wait to see the video! The written previews most of the time are just giving us a glimpse of the first few scenes of the upcoming episode.

Thanks for the translations for ep 9 & 10 previews :)

I have no worries about Hwon consummating his marriage with BK. He knows pretty well that if an heir was produced by BK, his father will kill him off immediately. That's why he told Woon he's safe at the moment cos it's not time yet for Lord Yoon to take action. BK may simply want to be the wife to Hwon without any other ulterior motives but too bad her father has other plans. That's probably why Hwon hates her so much cos her father is using her to get to him. I think Hwon would rather die than give Lord Yoon what he wants ie. an her produced by BK whom he would have full control over.

Guest flowerboyramyunshop_FB

3 Actresses Challenge Wednesday & Thursday Dramas – Only Han Ga In Does Well

On January 25th 2012, The MBC drama seriesThe Moon that Embraces the Sun recorded the national average rating of 29.7%, which is also the highest ratings since the airing starts. On the contrary, the competitor dramas at the same time slot, SBS’s Take Care of Us, Captain starring Ku Hye Sun and KBS’s Wild Romance starring Lee Si Young are losing the ratings war with 7.1% and 6.2% rating respectively.

“Is it a fresh challenge, or the staid status quo?” Joongang Daily analyzed all aspects of actresses with uncertain fate.

▶ Han Ga In

sunnmoon-press9-han-ga-in.jpg

Bold challenge shines.

As her look too westernized, Han Ga In has been focused on modern drama since debuting in 2002. MBC’s The Moon that Embraces the Sun is Han Ga In first challenge on sageuk, so receiving much attention. No matter is genre or character, it’s completely different from the past. In this drama, Han Ga In is playing the role of a crown princess who is reduced to a female shaman after losing her memory, the character is full of mystery, and exuding magical charm.

For her transformation, most responses have been positive. Most of the viewers thinks that Han Ga In abandoned the beauties of capability and matureness accumulated in the past, and chose a path that allows an actor to climb to next level, and by just considering this courageousness, it’s enough to get applause.

However, among these positive responses, Han Ga-in have a job to be resolved, and that is accusations about her actings. The key to solve the issue depends on how she performs the genre and role that she challenged for the first time.

▶ Lee Si Young

wildromance-lee-si-young-baseball3.jpg

Because of the “female hero” role, Lee Si Young failed twice in TV series consecutively. In November 2011, she was playing the role of a coast guard in KBS2′s Poseidon, and ultimately received dismal rating of only 8.9%. This is second failure after Poseidon.

In Wild Romance, Lee Si Young is playing the role of bodyguard for Lee Dong Wook. From the first episode, she squabbles with arrogant Lee Dong Wook without giving any ground, just like seeing her role in the previous drama Poseidon again. Proficient in various martial arts, carefree characteristic, and even the short hair is exactly the same.

In August 2010, Lee Si Young joins the rank of top stars after winning the boxing competition, there is no doubt on this. But now she is accused of needing transformation. A person in charge of TV series said, “If mentioning about carefree actress, the first person I thought of is Lee Si Young. Because in the past two years, she acted in too much similar roles. Really want to see the Lee Si Young who has sense of feminine in her next project.

▶ Ku Hye Sun

captain-cast-ku-hye-sun.jpg

Ku Hye Sun whose current character does not differentiate much from previous roles is been left out by the audience.

Ku Hye Sun is playing the role of newcomer co-pilot of Boeing 747 Han Da Jn in SBS drama Take Care of Us, Captain.

Actually there is very few female pilots in the industry. Therefore, the anticipation towards the successful story of enthusiastic and ambitious female pilot caught the attention of the audience.

But with the role played by Ku Hye Sun is mainly to sshow the hope and overcome difficulty.

In the just-concluded SBS drama The Musical, Ku Hye Sun was playing the role of Go Eun Bi who dreams of becoming a musical actress. Take Care of Us, Captain is screened not even 10 days after the end of The Musical, so her roles let people feel even more of the same.

Person in charge straight to the point, “There is even joke said, this in the end is just “Geum Jan Di (Ku Hye Sun’s character in Boys Over Flowers) who changed into pilot uniform,’ it’s always similar kind of roles, what’s on display is always the acting expression that is fixed, which makes the audience feel bored.”

via Joongang Daily lifted from asiandrama

this photo represents the article above..not the usual HGI that was seen years back..

420370_178189912287081_152170751555664_244304_1607254765_n.jpg

Are you sure you want to be cured. Sounds like fun time to me! *quoted image*

after reading you comment, i think i don't want to be cured... hahahaha....

it just my friend think i'm a bit crazy since I talk to them about a drama that they don't know at all...

and so hard to wait a week for new episode!!!

*sigh* Wed n Thurs, please come faster!!! wub.gifwub.gif

Another article...

MBC considering four-episode extension for The Moon Embraces the Sun; SBS and KBS look for ways to save themselves

And when they say “considering” they mean there’s a good chance they’ll do it.

After only eight episodes, Moon has already proved to be the Wednesday/Thursday timeslot victor and MBC is thinking of giving the series four more chances to continue its reign before it’s forced to abdi...cate the throne to its timeslot successor The King, starring Lee Seung-ki and Ha Ji-won, which would change it’s ending date from March 8 to March 24. This is completely expected and understandable. MBC would be idiots if they didn’t try to keep this cash cow around as long as possible and, while this decision may not bode well for the competition, I think MBC deserves a break. While I have a tendency to enjoy the broadcaster’s drama picks, they haven’t had the best luck in ratings for the last few years. I’m also really enjoying Moon, so I’ll readily admit that, while extensions have a tendency to ruin a series, I’ll be excited if I get to spend a little more time with Moon (I’m sure that sentence will bite me the richard simmons later.)

While MBC may be sitting pretty right now, the news of an extension for Moon is unwelcome to KBS and SBS who’s competing dramas Wild Romance and Take Care of Us, Captain have suffered substantially. At this point, it’s safe to say that the dramas won’t be able to compete with Moon and both broadcasters are deciding what their next move should be so that their following dramas will not overlap with Moon in it’s final days which I’m sure will produce soul crushing ratings. KBS’s next drama will be The Equator Man while SBS’s next drama will be Rooftop Prince, starring Park Yoochun and Han Ji-min. KBS is already looking for options and SBS is discussing a four-episode extension for Captain in order to allow Moon to end it’s run and provide a clean slate for Rooftop Prince. There are times when it makes sense to give low rating dramas an extension and this would be one of those times.

source; FYAsianDrama

----------

Strategically speaking, this will be a win-win situation for MBC but I just hope it won’t affect the story by dragging it longer just to accommodate the rumored extension. Anyway, 20 episodes is somewhat a little bit short, right? If the extension will give more time for the other character to develop then it will be most welcome. :wub::wub:

thanks for the articles and preview texts guys!

gabjumz thank god!can they consider 6 then? :lol: I honestly think could make it into a 30 episode epic saguek drama,not that it isn't epic already..but its one of the shortest sageuks ever.As long as they know what they are doing its all good i guess:)

think its important to note that this extension idea is brought up pretty early as far as extension issues were concerned,i don't feel worried since they are probably doing with it caution compared to other dramas.(who issue an extension last min)

wed's thurs epis episodes should hopefully still emphasize the romance element. :wub:

Guest flowerboyramyunshop_FB

"The Moon that Embraces the Sun" to Get an Extension?"

OMG  i heart this article so damn much!!! YES to an extension pls!!!! if they do get one then they can show more scenes from the book.omg im getting excited

an extension doesn't hurt at all considering the series is almost halfway and i agree with everyone here about the character development of the other cast (especially Yang Myug )

filming today cr : @songinhyuk

420279_178209832285089_152170751555664_244340_1548117590_n.jpg

If you miss the young stars, they can be seen on the variety programme Strong Heart this week:

Moon/Sun: Behind the scenes and on Strong Heart

I'm not sure how I feel about the extension. The story is progressing at a good pace and the extension may mess with that - last thing I want to see is filler just to stretch it to 24 episodes (or however many the station is considering). If the story was written to fill more episodes, then that's fine but it doesn't seem like the case if they're already into live-shoot or close to it. Having great ratings is wonderful, but it shouldn't be the paramount reason for an extension (and in any case, if this was already properly planned, there wouldn't need to be talk of an extension).

Re the preview-panic: calm down folks!

Na Dae Gil, who organized YW's abduction was introduced by an on-screen caption in ep 7 as a professor of 명과학 [命課學] which is the science of "divination" or interpreting the intentions of the Heavens, meaning he's a sort of respectably-tenured, establishment-funded practitioner of the same arts that a guy I'll say more about in a moment also practices, though the one I'll be coming to shortly lives a hermit existence, plainly has more integrity and doesn't let his interpretation of the will of the Heavens be politically steered). If Na Dae Gil orders YW to be branded on the forehead and exiled to the frontier regions (anxious to save his own skin in the face of Hwon's fury), that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Especially since Hwon's fury, to which this scapegoating reaction by the toadying prof. is a defence, is said not to be against YW herself, but against whoever it is who brought her here [viz the selfsame Na Dae Gil, but, behind him, ultimately, our favorite dear old granny who is so far unaware of how she's actually scuppered her own plans by this particular Bad Move.]

Now, the man AuntieMame and others are wondering about, who shows up after YWs resurrection and sees the little group of females off into exile, then, years later, summons NY back to a meeting which she attends with trepidation, is termed a 도사.

There are actually several ways of writing that word in Hanja. Perhaps the most common one, 道士, reveals to those who know some Chinese characters that this is someone who is "learned in the Way", where "the Way" is the Dao of Daoism. It is indeed originally a Daoist term for a scholarly and wise hermit, but it has also been adopted into Sino-Korean (and hence also Japanese) Buddhism to mean someone who practices the Buddhist religion. To make things muddier, Sino-Korean Buddhism also has two other words also read 도사 in Korean, but with different Hanja begind them: 都寺, the prior of a Buddhist monastery, and 導師 which can mean either a spiritual leader, or one of the offices within a temple, held by a monk whose special duty it is to officiate at various ceremonies. [The word for potter, 陶師, also written and read 도사, is another word altogether]. Now although it's hard to place the exact point in the Joseon era where the fictitious reign of Hwon is supposed to be located, it is clearly at a point where Buddhism has been firmly driven out of open practice and state prominence, so we can rule out all notions that any of the specifically Buddhist meanings apply to this particular character (and the furnishings of his cell, which we get to see in ep 7, confirm that). In referring to him earlier, I decided to follow the Hulu/MBC America subber by calling him a "priest" ("monk", used by other subbers, sounds too implicily Buddhist for my liking) but left to myself I'd have been inclined to refer to him as a hermit, so I'll do that from now on.

This man, unlike the shaman NY whom he counsels, relies for his knowledge, not on communion with the dead, but on scholarly observation and meditation on what he calls "the currents of the times", and it is his conviction that when the time is right, he will see signs that YW should be restored to her rightful place at the King's site for the nation's sake. The letter he sends NY at the end of ep 6 tells her that he can now see such signs and he summons her to hear more. She is upset because of her split feelings and loyalties between the "two people" she has nurtured in YW at Ari's bidding, and she fears that he will tell her that the hopes she has obviously begun to cherish that the "child" she has come to love will not have to go back to her old perilous place again are in vain Which, in effect, is exactly what he does tell her, in a conversation intercut with the meeting of YW and Hwon in the forest hut. I have just now edited my earlier post on NY to expand a bit more on her meeting with the hermit to make this, and the hermit's role, a bit plainer. To avoid people having to wade through that very long post again, here's the bit I edited in (I stuck with calling him the "priest", rather than the hermit in my edit)

In the conversation for which the priest has summoned her, which is intercut with the meeting of Hwon and YW at the forest cottage, she reveals that in the course of the past years she has come to believe that the "bonds of fate" have successfully been broken and that the girl can live out the rest of her life safe in her new identity, oblivious of the her old one. But the priest chides her for that thought. Such things are decided by the Heavens alone, he reminds her, and she above all people should know that. But can that really mean that the Heavens require the girl to go through all that anguish a second time, asks in distress? The priest gives her no answer, indicating that she knows what the answer is already, and that the anguish it involves is no reason why it will not happen.

I am so addicted with this drama!  It's my current "crack".wub.gif  When I saw yeo jin goo and Han ga in's picture, I had a gut feeling that they would shoot some scenes with some of the young actors. So I checked her agency schedule and it seems that Kim Yoo Jung (young yeon woo) would shoot from Jan 30-Feb 5.  I can't check Yeo Jin Goo's sked coz I don't know how.  Can't wait!!!!!laugh.gif

Personally, I'm pretty allergic to ratings-driven extensions (they sometimes work, but all too often they most certainly don't) but the leaks about the youngsters being hired for more shooting raise my hopes that the extra air time will be used to expand on happenings in the span the got leapt over in ep6. I would especially like to see more of the way the relationships between NY and her fate-assembled "family" of three so very different but in their own ways equally adorable "daughters" developed.

There's a wonderful couple of seconds near the start of ep 7 around 00:03:10, where HY, about to go on board with JS, admonishes Seol to make sure she escorts YW straight back home [i don't think NY knows about the imminent royal visit, otherwise she'd be deeply alarmed, as indeed Seol is a few minutes later when they encounter the fairground barker touting (fake) "special permits" to be allowed to see the King "up real close" and Seol pulls YW away, only to concede a little later that she'll let YW take "one little peep" at the monarch as he passes. But then the Butterfly of Fate flits along to make sure that little peep turns into a wrapt and tearful and ...er... fateful gaze] Seol responds rather tartly that she wishes NY would stop always banging on about her duty to guard YW. That's a given, and if NY doesn't trust Seol to take proper care of YW, why doesn't she leave JS to look after YW and let Seol accompany her on her trip to the hermit instead. [This is a joke of course, and they all know it: Seol would no more willingly leave YW for a second than Woon would voluntarily go from Hwon's side: and NY isn't at all annoyed by this apparent piece of talking back, indicating that she doesn't expect meek dutifulness from Seol]. Huh, NY replies, she'd rather leave YW with a tomboy tearaway like Seol than entrust her to a blabbermouth like that one (looking at JS). So Seol shouldn't be envious of JS for getting to go on the trip. And YW, listening to this exchange, gives all of them an affectionate smile. It's a cameo of a wise mother dealing with a firm but loving hand with sibling rivalries. I certainly wouldn't object to quite a lot more of that sort of interaction. OK, I fess up, I'm also a fanatical JS admirer. My heart leaps up whenever that black mophead appears on screen in anticipation of one of her killer one-liners, or even just one of her gloriously dippy-yet-penetrating glances at the world around her.

‘Moon Bearing Sun’ finally recorded higher than 30% of viewing rate.

2012/01/30(Mon) 09:06

‘Moon Bearing Sun’ broke through 30% of national viewing rate. According to the AGB Nielson Media Research, ‘Moon Bearing Sun’ broadcast on 26 recorded 31.7% of national viewing rate. This is up 2.0% from 29.7% of the previous episode. It again recorded its highest viewing rate breaking through 30%. ‘Moon Bearing Sun’ is sweeping its upturn with its interesting storyline despite the comments that some actors are not very good at acting. Compared to other competitors, it is having about 3 times higher viewing rate. In the drama, the tragic love among Yeon Woo (Ga In Han), Hwon (Su Hyun Kim) and Yang Myung (Il Woo Jung) was described once again. Yang Myung saved Yeon Woo who was escaping. Yang Myung asked Yeon Woo whether she could recognize him or not. Yeon Woo whose mission was to drive out an evil spirit from Hwon Lee got to be staying next to him every night. Yeon Woo said “It’s the first time that I think it’s good to be an exorcist” while looking at Hwon Lee. Hwon, who spent his happy days with Yeon Woo in his dream, became more energetic and impish like his childhood.

credit: innolife