Quantcast

[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

EVENT : Re-watch Party with the theme Revenge

Chingus, by popular demand we are bringing you a second season of re-watch parties. This time the theme is revenge! Yes, you heard it!

BPcT8.gif

The dramas chosen for this season are:

• Money Flower (2017)
  • Secret (Love) (2013)
  • The Innocent Man (2012)

For more information visit the event thread

re: @Lmangla

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello friends!   Welcome to the season of swords and destiny. For those who don't know, August 15 was Korea's independence day. inspired, we decided to create an event season focused on saeg

Alright chingus, the first poll is up! Yay!   @strongtower @Nodame @YongZura⁷ @Berou  @H0ney @MayanEcho @ncly @vangsweetie637 @UnniSarah @Lmangla @im0202 @TiNaDo  @MinLyn  @sharoon0136

@strongtower @Nodame @YongZura⁷ @Berou  @H0ney @MayanEcho @ncly @vangsweetie637 @UnniSarah @Lmangla @im0202 @TiNaDo  @MinLyn  @sharoon0136 @Jillia   Thank you to everyone who voted in t

So I watched the episode 15, 16 and 17 and I enjoyed them a lot, even though not much happened but still re-discovered details I had completely forgotten. :D As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts, @Nodame and @H0ney

:fullofhearts:

Still can't get over how Yeon Woo got her memories back and she tried to get Seol to tell her the truth but . Also, I didn't remember that she is really angry and rightfully so. I appreciate and it gives her at least a little bit of another layer in her character. Since until now she came across as too good to be true. So it's nice to see her react that way, even though she quickly reverts to her nice self as soon as she is back in the palace.

Spoiler

Watch-The-Moon-That-Embraces-The-Sun-Epi

I actually forgot about her asking Seol to investigate about what actually happened back then.

And that she sent her to Lady Noh, just like Lee Hwon did with Gyu Tae. :D So that's a nice parallel of the two coming closer to the truth.

And despite Gyu Tae not being able to speak with Lady Noh, he gets to talk to the Heo family's steward who tells him about the girl who is always seen around the estate of the Heo Family (at least now it makes sense that Seol was always there to see Yeom) and also saw her near the home of Lady Noh. AND that she is the girl served Yeon Woo and is now seen with Weol.

Spoiler

The final puzzle piece for Lee Hwon. To see him break down because of what happened and that Weol is actually Yeon Woo.... beautiful crying!

But also to have him and reunited... while Prince Yang Myung is just standing aside again. It's bittersweet!

Then we have Yeon Woo and Bo Kyung meeting again and it's basically the final moment for Bo Kyung to become completely insane.

Spoiler

These episodes really move things quickly, same for Min Hwa who is now confronted by how her decision to take part in the ritual 8 years ago led to Yeon Woo's father taking his own life. :( I mean I knew but to hear it again from Yeon Woo's mother and for Yeom to find out and Yeon Woo as well. She got her memories back but for what price?

Spoiler

Watch-The-Moon-That-Embraces-The-Sun-EpiWatch-The-Moon-That-Embraces-The-Sun-Epi

Which is also something she asked Nok Young in their conversation. And I was bit torn between appreciating Nok Young being honest about her casting the spell and bringing Yeon Woo back to life but then when she heard about Yeon Woo's father demise... she was talking about how everything needs a sacrifice. Please no! But also Yeon Woo found out about Min Hwa being part of the ritual. Oh dear! So many truths and movement in the episodes.

Spoiler

But it's not the Prime Minister Yoon and the Dowager Queen are not aware of what has been going on which is nice I guess. None of the main character, good or evil, are stupid and not aware of things happening in the palace. And of course Prime Minister Yoon wants to get Yeon Woo killed which leads to her being brought to the palace where we get some cute moments between her and Lee Hwon and their first and then second kiss with the two "Moon Embracing the Sun" hairpins being reunited.

Spoiler

And then we have the Dowager Queen who now wants Lee Hwon to keep his promise to grant her a wish: to bring Shaman Jang and Yeon Woo to her. YIKES! This really isn't going to end well.

Spoiler

Definitely looking forward to the last week of our re-watch and can already tell this made me watch the drama in a different way with a different view on certain details. :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Hi all! I finished the drama last week but frankly my brain is fried. LOL I should have typed something up while I could remember but I was planning an upcoming quick getaway and not in the mood to type on my tiny cell phone again. LOL. 

@Jillia @H0ney @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ I am sorry this (finale) last three episodes.

Overall, I am glad I finished and watched the drama.

1) Our COUP is axed and turns out that Yang Myung was already in Cahoots with the King who knew that he would be approached by the Queen's dad and cronies to go against.

His ill fated love for Yeon Woo. He was there before the Prince/King but couldn't capture her heart. No matter when she came back as Wol still the same story. He loved her earnestly and admired her for her heart, brains and beauty. But she just was not into him. Still he did his utmost to protect her and be there for her and get her out of depression. From getting the medicine book, going to say he was her alibi when interrogated and he fervently wanted to be her man. But Yeon Woo and the Prince/King were meant to be. When he let himself be killed during the coup knowing that his existence could threaten the king as there cannot be two suns.

2) The moment when Seol lost her life willingly for Yeom, she was happy. But she fulfilled his wish for her to watch over his sister. Wow dedication but appreciation to him for naming her and treating her as a "person."  I am glad she was there to protect him. Even her spirit is happy but still she was a lovely character. When she was upset with the Shaman she later learned it was not a simple situation.

3) Shaman NY losing her life but blocking the evil Queen using herself as sacrifice and not thinking she is innocent and not hurtful or evil. Glad she was blocked and told off by NY in her Shaman who was cooperating with her.  Sad to see her go but she fulfilled her promise to protect Yeonwoo not only once but twice thanks to her BFF request. Happy to see this actress again. Miss her. Though I had a smidgeon of sadness and empathy as she did care and fall "in love" with the prince/King. But it was one sided as Wol / Yeon Woo was in his heart. Even if Yeon Woo was not around, we don't know if she would have charmed the king anyways. The fact she was the daughter /niece of Empress Dowager's family did not help her case either.  She did only keep her "dignity" by committing suicide to not have that title taken from her. But she did live a miserable life even when she had her "opponent" out and see she never had the relationship she wanted with the KING. Even though they were married and he PUSHED off being with her for a long 8 years as the Virgin Queen.

4) Empress Dowager was all for her family and helping her brother and her niece be Queen. In the end, she got betrayed by her own brother thirsty for power and had her killed off. Yes power and greed have not sentimental feelings left for personal relationships.

5) Even the light hearted lovely Princess, she was the sacrifice /Virgin earnestly wanting Yeom. She was used and we learned distraught after hearing that Yeom's dad died not from illness but by suicide. She played a HUGE part to getting Yeon Woo "killed" . When she was found out by Yeom, she was devastated.  When Yeon Woo went to her to forgive her she did not believe her. I could get it. Wol suffered a tough fate/life taken away from her . But both were pawns of a complex political game where they did not have much power themselves. Glad she served her time and that Yeom was able to embrace her when she came to see them (tried to hide) from him and their cute son. She atoned for her crimes.

6) Yeom due to his handsome face launched being coveted by the Princess and that inadvertently got his dad and his sister killed for her desire to have him as a groom. The fact as her hubby would be politically strangled. Her dad denying her as he was needed to be with her brother and lead the country and serve the greater good. But with Yeon Woo dying before her actual wedding and Queen Dowager's side weakening her family, enabled the Princess to marry him. The princess was a good wife to him and his mom consoling her and has a bright happy demeanor. As Wol/ Yeon Woo said she appreciated she was there for her family. Yeom did grow to love her.The devastation to find out what she did from the Queen's brother to let him know was cruel. But inevitable as NO secret remains a secret forever it seems. But when Jang Shil met Yeom and told him what Seol always said to her. I wish him to be happy (every day). This opened his heart to be want to be happy and let go of his anger and follow his heart to embrace the Princess. Not sure of their future but at least towards healing.

7) Yeon Woo was in hiding. The cute relationship with the Eunuch. Later when she was able to get out of hiding and go visit her mother and brother. The reunion was lovely. Poor mom not wanting to sleep a wink for fear she would be gone. Yeom feeing guilty being the reason the Princess was a part of that black magic to kill Yeon Woo. When the King and Yeon Woo finally got married. Then their cute scene where he had to have his 'way" with Yeon Woo. Unlike his prior Queen he avoided 8 years, he was MORE than happy to participate in his conjugal privileges as her hubby. LOL. Plus everyone knows he cannot stand to be away from Yeon Woo. So when he prepared her bday party and tried playing the instrument. A for effort (though he was using the Eunuch and got caught when the string broke) was too cute.  She is a wise queen and good partner. Instead of extravagant parties, she donates and gives to the poor and in need.

8) The king, he went through much and not has his rightful Queen. Her brother as someone he can rely on. He made the  hard decision his father could not do punish family and refused to COVERUP their crimes due to them being his relatives. He lived by what he believed and glad that his investigator got a role in the government after solving Yeon Woo's death cover up for him. Haunted by his deep love for Yeon Woo she was his only love and couldn't let another enter his heart. (Very romantic for the story but I couldn't see him being a monk the rest of his life as he has to have kids.)  Seeing him with Yeon Woo happily married is nice all those years of sadness and despair and pining for her --he is happy again. Loved seeing that they have a son and he plays with Yeom and the Princess' son too as playmates

Thoughts;

Great OST and acting. I haven't seen Han Ga In in many works. But still love Kim So Hyun and most especially can see why the younger versions of the OTP broke out and became famous. They were EXCELLENT. Finally happy to see this classic and thanks to all on this rewatch group. 

Looking forward to your thoughts.

See you in another forum!

• Love 3

So I finished the drama today and I first wanted to say thank you to @partyon and @Lmangla for creating this re-watch! :D

:dorakiss:

And I wanted to thank @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ, @Nodame and @H0ney as well for joining this re-watch and sharing their thoughts. It was a real pleasure to rewatch this drama with you all.

:7555_attack:

I had the chance to rediscover parts of it I loved back then and discover parts I had completely forgotten or didn't notice when I watched the drama for the first time. :D

I have to admit my computer was not cooperating so I wasn't able to take screenshots. So I hope you'll forgive me for writing down my thoughts just like that. Also, since @Nodame put all the important events of the last 3 episodes in her post, I won't do a recap myself. :D

After this re-watch, I feel like I felt back then when I thought the ending of this drama was bittersweet because the writing became rather lacking in parts in order to resolve all the issues. The drama basically killed off anyone who could be dangerous to the main couple in the future and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

I will never forgive Bo Kyung and when Jang Nok Young possessed the body of the shaman and told her she isn't the victim and lost the last chance to redeem herself, I think she was really speaking anyone's mind in that moment. But other than that I felt weirdly sorry for Bo Kyung in the end. She loved Lee Hwon and became a puppet to her father to get him. And in the end, when she knew not only had her father left her behind and was planning to replace her but Lee Hwon as well she took control of her own life and ended it. I think despite it being a sad ending it was consistent with her arc. And I don't think we need to talk about her father who received his own punishment for reaching too high.

Just like with Min Hwa who at least owned her mistake. But the horrible thing was that she would do it again if she could which makes her not very likeable or easy to forgive. But I liked how her arc ended. She accepted her punishment and was lucky enough to get reunited with her ex-husband and son. I hope that despite what she did she will be able to live a happy life from now on.

What I found unfair was the end of Prince Yang Myung. It broke my heart, especially since he remained loyal to Lee Hwon until the end. I know he was hopelessly in love with Yeon Woo but I think he would've been happy enough to travel and probably never return to find happiness somewhere else. It felt like a slap to be honest and my opinion on that matter probably won't change should I rewatch this drama again.

The reunion between Yeon Woo, her mother and her brother was for me the most emotional and most important moment in the last 3 episodes. Yeon Woo's mother broke my heart over the course of the drama, so to see her finally being reunited with her daughter she thought of as dead was making me cry and happy at the same time. If anyone deserved this it was Yeon Woo's family. I'm so sad that her father will never know about it. :(

My thoughts:

Overall, I think it was a very strong drama but the last episodes fell apart for me a little bit. The consequences were a bit too much for some of the characters. The acting was good but I still think of Han Ga In as the weak part of the cast. But overall the children's part is still one of the strongest I've seen in a Korean drama and it will remain until one day there might be another drama to touch me the way as Lee Hwon crying when Yeon Woo became sick and had to leave the palace.

I hope to see you all in other threads and other re-watch events! Until then enjoy whatever drama you're watching right now! :wub:

3574_0-46520100-1588909887_66b2216b74735

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Ep 13- 14

Finally I can continue this drama hehe. I am a bit late but it's okay. I choose to enjoying this drama slowly since we can not be in a rush to enjoying romantic love story :relaxed:

So I will share my thoughts of 2 eps in one post :selfie2:

I think my thoughts all same with @Nodame and @Jillia. I only missed this part 8 years ago. A part where the divine minister broughts Yeon Woo backs to the palace. Not that I missed I guess, it is just I did not really understand this part 8 years ago. Now that I re watching this drama I can understand something about this. 

So when mistress Jang puts her spell on Yeon Woo 8 years ago, it makes a half part of her pure inner being trapped inside the Eunwolgak. Because of this, she forgets her past. How to verbalize this. It is not she forgets about her past. It's not inside her body. Her past being trapped inside the Eunwolgak with the part of her inner there. That is why she is can not remember. So YW's inner or soul stays in Eunwolgak and haunting the queen and the queen dowager.

I really adore the writer of The Moon Embraces The Sun. Really. She/He makes these magic scenes (scenes about shamans and spells) seems logic and it is acceptable for me. 

They put Yeon Woo there with a hope to make her absorbs the ghost aura, which is coincidentally it is not a ghost but her flying inner/soul who is being trapped there since 13 years ago. And because of this, her inner soul backs to her body and everything back to their rightful places, and Yeon Woo will becomes a Sejabin again. Aishhhh.. This writer is chinca chinca chinca daebak :sparklyeyes: oh no. She is not a Sejabin anymore since her groom is the king now then Yeon Woo is now the queen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

EP 15

The more eps I watch, the more I understand about the tragedy that Yeon Woo experienced. I think when Shaman A RI asked Mistress Jang to protect YW, it is mean to protect her from mistress jang herself. The queen dowager would not know about a spell that can makes little YW sick if it is not Mistress Jang's idea. If queen dowager does not know about this, she will never uses princess min hwa for her plan to kick YW out from the palace. Also it was mistress jang who tolds the queen dowager that Bo Gyung would be the master of queen chamber. She had the choice to tells that YW would be the queen but she chooses other way. 

This is just strengthen my theory about fate and destiny. I can agree that destiny and fate make us meet some people in the certain circumstances but, in the relationship people must to work it out. Work very hard. Even people like the king and Yeon woo. 

I also start to think that Prince Yang Myeon is obsessive to Yeon Woo. Hahaha. She is already ignoring him for so many times. He will get a peaceful life if he can stay away from the king and Yeon Woo. 

MP-00123_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg?imgmax

pict: kdramatized

• Love 1

Ep 16

The key of the story is in the ep 1. 

" A virtuous man does not blame the heaven or other men. The farmer does not blame the land, nor the musician the instrument..

The fault lies in the owner, not the object or tool.."

(Heo Yeon Woo Ep 1)

Prince Yang Myun is a good man. It is just he does not understand the confussian above. He blames the king for not able to save Yeon Woo as a king and cornered the king that if it's him, he always ready to let go off his title as a prince to be with Yeon Woo. I think he is being too emotional and must to gather his thoughts. Well he was born as a prince with difficult path so I could not blame him totally.

People were born with different talents. What prince YM able to does, of course not same with the king. If he able to lets his title to live like ordinary people with YW, I think it is stupid. He has duty when he was born as a prince. That's his talent. He must to uses his talent for the good. When the crown prince was born as a crown prince it is his destiny to be the king and it is his talent. And it is stupid and very wrong to blame the king to be what he is. The point is, in whatever talent that people might be born, people must to use the talents for the good. And never think that your talent is better than others. 

The challenge in this drama for the king is I think, as a king, what he could do to solves all the mess that being passes to him from the elders. The previews king could not solves the problems because of he was too weak to used his talent as a king. Being a king does not mean that you are not that powerful. It is a powerful position, but the late king choosed to used his power to burried all the wrongs because of he wanted a peaceful life for his family, for his daughter and his mother. I think this is wrong because of he sacrificed the happiness of his subjects who are loyal to him. HYW's father and his family. Same as when the prime minister killed his brother (ep 1). If you are in the powerful position, never do it as your advantage to step on to the weaks. If you do this then you do not deserve to be the leader. 

Blaming the king is easy, like what prince YM does. But this is stupid and not wise. Instead as a brother he has to supports the king so the king will able to solves the matter for Yeon Woo. 

I like the king because of never once he sees himself uncapable to does what he wants to does because of he is the king. Instead he always looking for the smart steps, what he could do as a king to solve his problems. Even when everyone around him cornering him or blaming him, or trying to over powering him. 

I am happy that finally at the end of ep 16 the king finally able to finds the answer about Shaman Weol aka Yeon Woo.

s640x480

pict: thoughtsramble

• Love 1