[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

Guest umutoni

and i supposed you could have done better? all ur saying might be true but to pinkberry it out here...give some respect...if u have nothing good to say...just  don't bloody say anything this thread becomes annoying with people pinkberrying...but hey ur entitled to ur opinion....just stop and i suggest don't watch...

just saying...people sometimes they are so superior to others...when they comment they think they are better...but hey people we're just here on the thread..who's on the screen????

sorry in advance...i do apologised...but stop this bad actress rant....2 more episodes thats it....yo'u're misery is over...If I were you  i will not watch this drama ever...go watch other drama thatt will make you happy...life is short...

Totally agree with you. I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to criticize but this thread seems to have become so negative. And It can become quite tiresome especially when people seem to repeat the same things over and over. I think we got the point!

And personally when i don't like something i don't even bother commenting on it.

Of course i'm not totally blinded by my love for the show to the point i can't see his flaws (don't need to repeat them ) and of course ratings aren't always logical ( far better dramas never had ratings that high) but at the end of day what matters for me is what kind of emotions this drama makes me feel. It made me cry, laugh, and all giddy inside :wub:   I can't wait for Wednesday and Thursday to come.

I have to admit that all these critics made me ask myself why i liked this drama . But then i realize why bother asking. I mean if something makes you happy, just enjoy it. No need to come up with a reason for everything. Sometimes feeling is enough.

Guest toho81

Can't we just put the criticisms aside and just be happy when the damn drama finishes shooting. I don't care about the faults right now! I just care about how I pray the drama will finish shooting without any further trouble! please!

Guest Starlitelet

Totally agree with you. I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to criticize but this thread seems to have become so negative. And It can become quite tiresome especially when people seem to repeat the same things over and over. I think we got the point!

And personally when i don't like something i don't even bother commenting on it.

Of course i'm not totally blinded by my love for the show to the point i can't see his flaws (don't need to repeat them ) and of course ratings aren't always logical ( far better dramas never had ratings that high) but at the end of day what matters for me is what kind of emotions this drama makes me feel. It made me cry, laugh, and all giddy inside :wub:   I can't wait for Wednesday and Thursday to come.

I have to admit that all these critics made me ask myself why i liked this drama . But then i realize why bother asking. I mean if something makes you happy, just enjoy it. No need to come up with a reason for everything. Sometimes feeling is enough.

Well, it seems to bother me when people are praising TMTETS endlessly as well? Actually no, what bothers me the most is people fire at those who criticize something they love. Come back to reality, please.

See... you don't have to reply to my 'nasty' posts if you've seen these kind of posts so many times already.

I haven't been browsing this board frequently, so how am I supposed to know that you've seen so many? Besides, skip my posts then.

If I were watch this without subs, I would have a hard time figuring/dissecting what her character wants in terms of facial expression. She lacks emotion. Period.

You're comment made me think what a good yardstick that would be for measuring an actor's/actress' talent. This doesn't work that well for me since I can understand Korean, but it's such an ingenious method. You can hear how something is said to get the emotion across, plus the background music, and then the facial expressions and body movements.

She's also an obstacle for TMTETS, believe it or not. Even the Queen has a wider range of emotion than her and Wol is supposed to be the leading star!

Frankly, I don't think the Queen is getting enough recognition for her role here. I think she is doing a fantastic job, from playing "nice" to changing into a conniving queen, then morphing into a regular woman who is in love with someone who doesn't love her back, and recently into a woman who is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. There's an actress with beauty and talent. I hope she gets more roles as a result of this drama.

and i supposed you could have done better? all ur saying might be true but to pinkberry it out here...give some respect...if u have nothing good to say...just  don't bloody say anything this thread becomes annoying with people pinkberrying...but hey ur entitled to ur opinion....just stop and i suggest don't watch...

just saying...people sometimes they are so superior to others...when they comment they think they are better...but hey people we're just here on the thread..who's on the screen????

sorry in advance...i do apologised...but stop this bad actress rant....2 more episodes thats it....yo'u're misery is over...If I were you  i will not watch this drama ever...go watch other drama thatt will make you happy...life is short...

So do you think you're better than everyone else too, since you're making a comment? A discussion thread should be just that--a discussion. And as you accurately state, yours is just a rant with no real insights other than that you're annoyed. I've been following, but not commenting, in this thread and I don't see that it's full of criticisms and negativity. It seems as though all you want to see are maybe pictures and posts that say, "OMG great episode today" or "HGI is so beautiful" or "I love this drama." But what does that add to a discussion thread? Dramas have good points, bad points, and mediocre points and each point should be discussed. If it were just a rant, then yes, I would agree that it has no place in a discussion thread. However, as other posters have pointed out, critiques and criticisms should be allowed.

My point in my post was that I like this drama, but unfortunately, someone's acting ability (or lack thereof) is pullig the drama down. Does that mean I now suddenly hate this drama? No. Do I wish someone else was cast as the lead? Yes. But that's not "hating" on anyone or "pinkberrying." In my opinion (and obviously others) HGI's acting is a very big weak point in this drama. That being said, I still greatly enjoy this and spend more time than I should on Wednesdays and Thursdays trying to find the most recent episodes.

@jechoi1 - re: "But what does that add to a discussion thread?"

BRAVO....you said it perfectly. This is a discussion thread...and I have been following it with great restraint, because having posted my very similar opinion regarding the mis-casting and acting skills much earlier on....I was bombarded, often in ALL CAPS...by those unwilling to accept anything but a praising statement.

Honestly....it's not rocket science. If the lead character has only one expression....I'll call it *stun gun eyes* ...then their skills at acting are NOT stellar. just that simple.

Kim Min Seo (Bo-Kyung) can express about 6 different emotions just by quivering her lip or arching an eyebrow. Again, not difficult to see....talent shines in the smallest of details.

Even Botox Granny, whose face has been needled into a plaster-mask, has a full range of emotion displayed on her immobile face. So *props* to you for speaking your mind.

Care to 'discuss'any of the minor characters? I'm a fan of Janshil....so under used. The writers really missed an opportunity to branch her out and let her USE the REAL psychic powers. :)

Guest toho81

Really? Can't we just all pray together for the finishing of this drama. Get back to the criticisms when this drama is not in danger. Please, the number 1 thing now is for this drama to complete shooting!!!

Guest Starlitelet

Frankly, I don't think the Queen is getting enough recognition for her role here.  I think she is doing a fantastic job, from playing "nice" to changing into a conniving queen, then morphing into a regular woman who is in love with someone who doesn't love her back, and recently into a woman who is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  There's an actress with beauty and talent.  I hope she gets more roles as a result of this drama.

Yes, the Queen needs more recognition! By far Kim Min Seo's best role!  I'm sure she'll get more recognitions after this. Let's see if she'll  ever get a lead role in the future *cross my fingers. I actually love  her character as the Queen. She's so pitiful. Though, I still don't  quite understand her sudden change.

Min Seo portrays her beautifully. I wish she had a bigger role... especially in the recent episodes.

So do you think you're better than everyone else too, since you're making a comment?  A discussion thread should be just that--a discussion.  And as you accurately state, yours is just a rant with no real insights other than that you're annoyed.  I've been following, but not commenting, in this thread and I don't see that it's full of criticisms and negativity.  It seems as though all you want to see are maybe pictures and posts that say, "OMG great episode today" or "HGI is so beautiful" or "I love this drama."  But what does that add to a discussion thread?  Dramas have good points, bad points, and mediocre points and each point should be discussed.  If it were just a rant, then yes, I would agree that it has no place in a discussion thread.  However, as other posters have pointed out, critiques and criticisms should be allowed.

My point in my post was that I like this drama, but unfortunately, someone's acting ability (or lack thereof) is pullig the drama down.  Does that mean I now suddenly hate this drama?  No.  Do I wish someone else was cast as the lead?  Yes.  But that's not "hating" on anyone or "pinkberrying."  In my opinion (and obviously others) HGI's acting is a very big weak point in this drama.  That being said, I still greatly enjoy this and spend more time than I should on Wednesdays and Thursdays trying to find the most recent episodes.

Thank you for posting this. You wrote it so eloquently, whereas I was lacking words haha :lol:.

@jechoi1 - re: "But what does that add to a discussion thread?"

BRAVO....you  said it perfectly. This is a discussion thread...and I have been  following it with great restraint, because having posted my very similar  opinion regarding the mis-casting and acting skills much earlier  on....I was bombarded, often in ALL CAPS...by those unwilling to accept  anything but a praising statement.

Honestly....it's not rocket  science. If the lead character has only one expression....I'll call it  *stun gun eyes* ...then their skills at acting are NOT stellar. just  that simple.

Kim Min Seo (Bo-Kyung) can express about 6 different  emotions just by quivering her lip or arching an eyebrow. Again, not  difficult to see....talent shines in the smallest of details.

Even  Botox Granny, whose face has been needled into a plaster-mask, has  a full range of emotion displayed on her immobile face. So *props* to  you for speaking your mind.

Care to 'discuss'any of the minor  characters? I'm a fan of Janshil....so under used. The writers really  missed an opportunity to branch her out and let her USE the REAL psychic  powers. :)

Haha! Your post made me laugh so much... especially the Granny part. I concur with you!

Yes, the Queen needs more recognition! By far Kim Min Seo's best role!  I'm sure she'll get more recognitions after this. Let's see if she'll  ever get a lead role in the future *cross my fingers. I actually love  her character as the Queen. She's so pitiful. Though, I still don't  quite understand her sudden change.

Min Seo portrays her beautifully. I wish she had a bigger role... especially in the recent episodes.

Thank you for posting this. You wrote it so eloquently, whereas I was lacking words haha :lol:.

Haha! Your post made me laugh so much... especially the Granny part. I concur with you!

I honestly feel criticisms should be taken in stride, and it's been hard to see that in this thread. As a discussion forum here, I believe the critiques are just that, to open up discussion about the drama, with varying viewpoints and perspectives. We've long established that no drama is perfect. But just because someone gives a critique doesn't directly mean the individual doesn't also enjoy the drama/series. So take it as that, all in stride, and don't let things dampen anyone's mood. The discussions here are rather insightful and fun to read, and as many of you have mentioned, it's one's personal opinion.

Kudos to this! It's sad that you can't even express your opinion without being labelled as a "basher". Really? I started watching this drama because of Jung Il Woo. I was posting in this thread (since early December) way before most of you even know about this drama. I did everything to let others know about his drama. But the drama started showing some major flaws that in spite of my love for Jung Il Woo I couldn't overlook them. This is a discussion thread. I just want to voice my opinion. Am I really a basher?

I think only Kim Soo Hyun fans must be really happy about this drama. Besides teen actors he is the only one had chance to shine. I won't speak for fans of other supporting actors/actresses but as Jung Il Woo fan I must say this is the second most poorly written character he has ever played, a total waste of his talent. Instead of being a man who struggles for his independence and a place in the world where he's only the other sun, all he does is chasing after a girl who doesn't even see him as a man and we never really found out how he fell in love with her in the first place. Gals at Dramabeans scratches their head trying to figure out why both brothers even fell in love with Wol, but whatever. 

When I tried to overcome the fact that Yang Myung is going to chase after her pathetically till he dies I found out that besides Hwon's longing for Wol, Wol longing for Hwon and Yang Myung longing for Wol there's nothing much left. I love you Il Woo, but frankly first 6 episodes with teen actors were the best.

Kim Soo Hyun Takes a Break to Help Filming

Source : http://asian-drama.org/

On early March, the photos of actor Kim Soo Hyun was holding the reflector to assist the shooting were published on Internet.

In the photos, Kim Soo Hyun wearing the king’s imperial robe, hand held the reflector, assisting in the filming of MBC TV Wednesday and Thursday drama series The Moon that Embraces the Sun.

Usually actors will sit at the back to rest, read script or memorize lines when other people is filming. However, despite his busy filming schedule, Kim Soo Hyun was still holding the reflector to help others’ shooting, creating a warm atmosphere on the set.

Netizens commented on the photos, “Really good-natured, perfect,” “Confirm the Kim Soo Hyun’s little face,” “Atmosphere on the shooting set seems good” and so on.

:wub: he's sooooo sweeet ...

hope for the best to all TMTETS actors & actresses !!!!

and lets break the rating to 50% ++ .. you all deserve it :wub:

Hello everyone...

I will not complain for any uncertain situations..hope to stay patient and wait for the Great two finale.. :sweatingbullets:

Moon Sun Fighting :wub:

So it's been announced that Moon/Sun will NOT be airing this week. Well, not an actual episode anyway. Instead, they will be showing specials. Hmmm... two episodes of specials? Personally, I don't really enjoy specials. It's a sad, sad let-down when you're expecting an episode. Now, if they were to instead somehow do an emergency shooting with the cast as guests on a variety show, that would be awesome. And I think it would help with the ratings. Of course, MBC hasn't been airing any varieties since the strike.

While disappointed, I'm actually glad that they will not be airing real episodes this week. If they had, I think the ending would have just been completely botched. From years of watching K-dramas, I find that for some reason, endings are so hard to do well. Timing, I'm sure, plays a big role since Korea's system of live shoots makes it very difficult for the actors and the staff members, and I can imagine that everyone is on their last legs at that point. However, even in the rare cases when a drama is pre-shot in its entirety before it airs (i.e. Paradise Ranch), there is something off about the endings.

Another issue that I think contributes to disappointing K-drama endings is tied to the fact that they are live shoots--viewer opinions. What's wrong with viewers having a say in a drama, you ask? Well, as we've seen on this thread just recently, viewers have a WIDE range of opinions. You can't accomodate one viewer without offending another. And so, the end result is usually something lukewarm. I've always thought that if a director or a network sees a writer's script and believes in it enough to work with it and fund it and air it, then let the writer do whatever he/she originally intended. Yes, viewer opinions matter, but if you let viewer opinions rule everything, then you're going to end up with an end product that doesn't match the original specifications.

That being said, I think I will end this post with a list of my disappointing ending tropes that we see used over and over again. Hopefully, none of these endings will be used in Moon/Sun:

1. Open ending: maybe they will or maybe they won't get together and live happily ever after. Really, if you (as the writer and director) can't figure it out, then you don't deserve to write/direct.
  2. Together, but not in the immediate future. This is the ending where the main couple acknowledge their feelings for each other and decide to be together, BUT, there's a separation planned in the immediate future. For exmaple: the ending in You're Beautiful. What's with that kind of ending? I didn't watch You're Beautiful in order to learn about anything. The purpose of my watching it was to be entertained. And for 90% of the time, that drama served a very important function in my life. Then it ended with a cop-out ending like that. If they were to utilize this in Moon/Sun, I imagine the story would follow that because of all the scandals, Hwon and Yeon Woo decide that each will go their own way to allow Hwon to really come into his own as a King, but with Hwon and Yeon Woo pledging their undying love to one another and promising to meet in 1 years' or 2 years' time. Heck, I would go for an even 8 years. Let's see if their love endures another 8 years and if Hwon can keep himself "pure" for Yeon Woo for another 8 years. Then he'll be the 31-year-old virgin, if I counted properly.
  3. Last minute time jump. This is the 1-2 years time jump at the end of a series with the main couple meeting again in the last 2 minutes, staring at each other (usually across a street) and smiling at each other. What is with K-dramas and separation? A couple should work through their problems together. Not disappear for a year to decide that the relationship is worth fighting for.
  4. Evil people suddenly turning good. I did not spend 95% of a drama hating someone just to be told that I'm supposed to like them now. And I don't need to feel sorry for them either. Some villains make some really, really bad choices. Let them reap their punishment. Although, in Moon/Sun, I have recently begun to sympathize with Hwon's Queen. She is also a pawn and it's not as if her revealing her father's and Botox Granny's plans when she was a child would have resulted in anything other than death for her.
  5. Illness / Death as the great unifier. This is similar to the one above and it involves people (be they protagonists or antagonists) getting together just because one is terminally ill or has already passed away unexpectedly. Is forgiveness just because you know that someone is dying really forgiveness? I don't want Botox Granny suddenly developing a conscience at the end and everyone forgiving her. She must be punished.

Guest pansy

heloo i'm a new fan here ... just recently finish up to ep 17.

oo0OOOh My.... The Moon That Embrace The Sun is so great !!!

..... a bit draggy in ep 11-12 .. but this drama can keep me glued anyway ...

the storyline is so good ... such a cute and sweet first love story...

sooooooo touching~ Love this kind of love story... :wub:

really anticipate the ending ^^

By going on strike with the drama ended no where TMTETS PD is not ethical by not finishing the job that he supposed to do.He dissappointed and got to answer many fans that supported this drama he's is directing,he's also not a reliable PD putting his name into  record.

If TMTETS 2 episodes does not finished by 8th March maybe TMTETS fans have  to wait very long for ep 19/20 becoz Kim Soo Hyung appointments are full and HGI is shooting a movie.

Earlier they cannot extend TMTETS because of Kim Soo Hyung and Han Ga in tied up with other projects if there is a delay for few months to film TMTETS they might add another 4 episodes hope for the best or is blessing in disguise but is bad news for CRITICS. (my opinion only)

Note; My 2 cents.

Guest SuSHI_beast

*while at a conference in Sacramento this weekend with no internet access*

"Hmmmmm I really hate all these workshops and meetings....but knowing that MoonSun is coming up soon makes everything better!!" :D

*returns Tuesday morning to Irvine, and opens Soompi for delightful previews*

*reads through the posts in the epicly awesome MoonSun thread*

I WAITED 7 FREAKING WEEKS FOR BOTOX GRANNY TO GET THE **** SHE DESERVES, AND WHAT DO I GET? WHAT. DO. I. GET??

*calms down*

*cries in a dark corner*

*while at a conference in Sacramento this weekend with no internet access*

"Hmmmmm I really hate all these workshops and meetings....but knowing that MoonSun is coming up soon makes everything better!!" :D

*returns Tuesday morning to Irvine, and opens Soompi for delightful previews*

*reads through the posts in the epicly awesome MoonSun thread*

I WAITED 7 FREAKING WEEKS FOR BOTOX GRANNY TO GET THE **** SHE DESERVES, AND WHAT DO I GET? WHAT. DO. I. GET??

*calms down*

*cries in a dark corner*

you've made my day .... bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Guest carrey

So NO MoonSun today and tomorrow?!? Why?!? Its been months since the strike and no negotiation since then...what will happen to Kdrama industry if this will not be resolve the soonest? And what will happen to us anticipating the ending of TMETS? Can we see it next week? So many questions...

Guest rintintintin

Until now, there's a strike something here!!!! Why is MBC like this???!!! I'm totally insane on what will happen on the last 2 episodes of this drama. :(