[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

@H0ney  Again great posts with character quotes and photos. I admire your passion and dedication. I always love reading your posts.

I had some time last weekend and went a bit ahead. But I made sure to write the thoughts ahead of time. As I knew I would forget and confuse it all. 

So caught ep 9-11 and more about our King obsessed about Wol.

• End of 8, the king is awake and grabs Wol’s hands. Accuses her if she is a spy and ousts her . Plus she dare touch the King’s royal and sacred body. But he admitted that usual vigilant Woon let her touch the king. So what she did seemed to soothe him. She was put into prison. He reverts back to grumpy (from smiling loving the soup to frowning ask it never be made again). Just as she has ‘criminal ‘burned onto her lovely face she is saved by the king. He wants her back by his side. He is torn and admits to Woon that he is more in danger to her than vice versa.

• KSY as the king his longing for YW & when Woon finds a letter she wrote as apology he notes she is very bright and literate for a shaman for his critical comment on him and her status . Dealing with having to get an heir, dealing with his Queen’s dad.  Plus when he asked his sister’s hubby and his former teacher /YW bro there was an uproar as Prince Consort. Eunuch HS was right it should be YW bro with him not the Eunuch. The happiness he feels to see YW bro. Him bringing YW last letter before dying to the King. He did the right thing. She used all her last energy worrying of the king and his health despite being in the brink of death. I cannot blame the king investing the too convenient timing of her illness.

-The Princess is still sweet and I like she cares for YW mom well. Poor mom dreams of her beloved YW. That family is precious sad the dad is no longer. You can see the Prince Consort has an affection for his wife. Not a passionate love but still sweetness looking at her. When he promised to return after his travels and never give her up. Aww . Cannot blame the palace maids jockeying to see him like Empress Ki those wanting to see Wang Yoo.

• Prince YM smitten not I being why with Wol and the King. Both are bothered by her and constantly ask don’t you know me? The fact she doesn’t realize that her memories are not the spiritual world but her memories. Even when the king questions her handwriting  as too coincidental. 

-Jansil being ousted by Shaman NY after defying her order to allow Prince YM to see Wol. When asked why she helped him, cause he was the first to save her life. Aww. Seol still has crush on YW bro & checks into them. She tried to keep JS but got told no leniency this time .

-Wol is seen by the Queen who heard voices from YW old pavilion. She has a spy observe everything for her about the human talisman and the king. She is uneasy to her looks similar to YW. Plus hearing he asked for box with rain written on it. He cannot let him of her. Wol says sorry I am not her as he repeatedly asked her.

-of course the timing of Wol to give JS her clothing and the king our investigating. Plus of course he saves her from falling and they conveniently see a puppet play love story of the king and servant. Lol Wol pays for them both. Poor YM to see then watching the play. I loved his rapport with his mom. Her wanting to cut her hair she wish got a pretty daughter in law.

• Now Wol is regaining memories stronger and stronger and the shaman got permission to get Wol out. But the previews show the king won’t let her leave the palace until he sorts his unsure & confused feelings with her. He wants her to admit to he YW but she doesn’t .

• Poor King he is a puppet but a bit better than Togon in Empress Ki but not by much.
  • The Eunuch HS with his uneven toothy smiles to the king crack me up.
  • Woon loyal and stoic after seeing friends giving his message from the king doesn’t bother to stay with friends longer but rather rush back to king. 
  • Wol is questioning more to the shaman about her past and memories now coming back stronger to her.
  • Like 1

All of you guys' posts are great ...... though @Jillia said one of her posts as lazy.. I think I'm the laziest here... after unable to break from the "writer's block".   

This is where we are learning about the royal wedding before, during and after ..... Is it more challenging compared to the ordinary people at that time?  One part that I love is the subtle way of expressing that you like/love somebody. Nowadays it's more direct and faster ... just as everything in our lives (When the King asked her to give the message that he loved her so much.... I guess his heart already knew that was YW) 

Ep. 11 - Love how:

the King "had fun" by creating chaos in the office in order to get more information about YW's supposed death and more "on-field investigation"

- YW and the King had another "academic" banter together... and how he was falling  in love with her again.

• Like 1

Hi All!

Thanks to @H0ney @Jillia and @YongZura⁷ for your posts

I am part of a conference so literally cutting and pasting this week's episodes.

Heading into the last 2 weeks after this.

Grateful to have you as my buddies during this journey. Thank you! Instead of just watching it alone for the first time, I appreciate reading everyone's comments/thoughts etc so far and glad I am part of 2 rewatch parties.

• Moon Embraces The Sun

Ep 12-14 

-The Queen’s dad and cronies decide with the Queen’s inside info that the King likes the talisman and knows of her existence. They plan to use his love against him to get what they want - more leverage over him and a faster fate of the marital bed date. (Kind of funny how long he has been putting off marital relations with her. Surprised unlike the Empress Dowager in Empress Ki - she didn’t try to put another woman or concubine etc to have an heir with someone else. I guess his bad health and broken heart was enough to push the Queen off him and his grandmother.

-Falsely accusing Wol of black sorcery when the King and Queen tried to consummate their marital bed to no avail (the closest the Queen got the King). They accuse Wol of it. Of course she is standing there sadly thinking of the king and Prince YM trying to appeal to her to run away with him and to please look at him. Aww de ja vu but this time like last time it won’t work. Wol is attested with King’s spy Hong Tae implanted in the Bureau watching the proceedings. First just inprisoned but later beaten with the Prime Minister toying with her to lie to save herself. (The truth is not important she is just their scapegoat.  Plus the Queen has her revenge too for her taking the ounce of affection and smiles bestowed on Wol and no one else.)

-Hyun Tae investigating talked to the physician who handled YW and said no foul play but her corpse two hours later was still warm. Funny doing research he embraced a dead man’s corpse to make sure. He reported to the King who got to really think of the matter. Oh was black magic used and top shaman NY is summoned as he realizes at end of ep 14.

-The Prince YM giving up until he heard from Janshil of Wol’s dire situation. Initially you think the Prince YM will ignore Wol’s plight, we know better he cannot ignore her. He even tried to plead with his brother as he did with his father for YW/Wol. Again he is denied and reminded due to his birth status thanks to his mom he cannot amount to much. The one person he wants STILL won’t go to him. But as we know the heart wants what the heart wants.

He pushes through to say the truth to give her an alibi but Wol wouldn’t let him lie about being with her except she said he was there per her personal invite. She couldn’t lie to save herself but she would lie to make sure Prince YM  is not harmed. Aww Wol our dear kind soul. Still the PM and his cronies use the king to manage him in house arrest. When the Prince YM heard Wol is missing he wants to find her. The battle with his pal & King’s personal guard was interesting. That fight was just between friends and didn’t happen. Most you saw expressed in that scene. Felt bad for Prince YM.

The lascivious crony of the Prime Minister lusting after Wol for her beauty despite her injuries and being tortured. Yuck. Creeper.

Shaman NY pleading to the Queens Aunt/Empress Dowager by blackmailing her she would reveal the truth of 8 yrs ago even if she has to die to pay for her crime if black magic. Also her word that her spiritual daughter Wol doesn’t have the ability to do Black Magic. So I was happy she had her get Wol ok even if exiled the key thing she is alive.

I was truly upset to see Wol cruelly beaten for a crime she didn’t commit all due to the palace politics and power struggles. But nothing new there she is a mere pawn. I am surprised if Wol is severely injured . She is a principled person indeed no matter which life she is leading. Plus I am glad she is learning that too often her memories are hearing YW a lot. To the point she rightly asks it is too convenient not to be my own personal memories.

YW mom still haunted by YW and the deep love for her despite the years that have passed since her death. Even when Wol is leaving the palace in disgrace her mom felt her daughter’s presence. Oh the frying and pain. Her beloved brother cut short his travels due to the King’s health. The princess nightmare getting her wish but YW died as a result. She is cute rushing to her dignified husband’s side. He is patient with her and it was good he comforted her.

The King went to his grandmother for backup/help to handle her brother the Prime Minister. Of course, she is happy to get a favor promise out of him for future use. Not surprised. Her look of glee to have her power acknowledged over her grandson. Also later using Wol to appease YW spirit as she and the Queen hear her wails. Ironic the body /vessel shaman used is the person with the grievance. The fact NY foresaw the Eclipse returning everyone to their right place.

Love Eunuch HS speaking of serving the country then him, when counseling him to avoid the torture area where Wol was located. Also Eunuch HS let the king see off Wol making him a snowman. The prior time the king asked for it with pure and never used  snow  and stepped out that time and encountered Wol. These two plus his guard do care for the king. When the king saw Wol in her prison cell he felt horrible lying to her and having no words of comfort but she had more concern for him than herself (she did the same when Shaman NY visited her). Glad he could l lean in his body guard.

Seol upset with Shaman NY and I cannot blame her. Glad she set the others straight speaking ill of Wol.

Looking forward to the reunion of the OTP. Wol knows who she is and the king has a strong idea of the truth. I cannot wait for YW reunion with her family. Still with the king he is unstable and doesn’t hold much power. With the Queen being his grandmother’s niece , what can he do?

• Love 1

Hello everyone! I hope you guys are enjoying the re-watch event! :kiss_wink:

Just checking in to ask you which episodes you will start commenting on this Wednesday? Is it ep 15, 16 and 17?

We will kick-off another re-watch event soon!  We will give out more information about the dramas selected sometime next week and hope to start the event on Wednesday October 7th :glasses:

re: @Lmangla

• Awesome 1

@H0ney Thanks for your post! I cannot believe one more week!

ost is great !

9/30/2020

Moon Embraces The Sun

Ep 15-17

-Wol after being used to appease the spirit of Yeon Woo (herself) regains her memories. Those memories she though were her divine ability from Shaman NY, it was not true. She requests time to cool down & appease the spirit after she is found alive the next day. She confronts Seol, who at first upholds then lie. Then after she is caught, does her bidding & changes into a woman’s clothing. She goes to Lady Noh (who was training YW the palace protocols.) After she leaves, the King’s spy Hyun Tae spots her leaving as he is en route to  Lady Noh. The Queen’s dad realizes the King is investigating the past. They had exchanged words showing his warning to do nothing, we know he won’t heed those words of warning.

Hyun Tae finds assassins there killer Lady Noh so great cannot even question her. He successful talks to the person who buried Yeon Woo. One thing he thought odd and never told her family was the next day after she was buried, her coffin was empty. He is realizing that Yeon Woo probably was never 100% dead.

Woon releases the Prince after the King got the Ministers to agree. He warns him to not go to Wol. Of course, he doesn’t agree. He unlike the King can freely love and give up bus rights to the Royal Family but can the King do that for love? Plus as long she is not Yeon Woo but Wol he has a chance. Though he feels deep down she is Yeon Woo like the King. When he arrives to the sick ward he harasses then why Wol isn’t there. She arrives in time to see the Prince save a young girl.

Prince YM & Wol reunite and she wonders of his medical knowledge. He said of his teacher and mentor was a great man (her father) not only took him in warmly taught him importance to be well rounded and have basic medical knowledge and know the classics. He keeps praising her father & Wol looks tears as now she knows her  true identity. Later knowing her thirst for knowledge & her desire to gain some medical knowledge got her a book to read. Later he deduces her naming a rock to take her worries is what he told only Yeon Woo. Also her look of delight at the book and after he flicked her forehead again same reaction as his memories of Yeon Woo. But he hides that from the King when he spots him watching him and Wol playing with the kids. Then further defies him saying he will protect the person he loves and defy Royal decree & willingly give up his rights in the Royal Family.

Wol had requested to go to her dad’s grave site to grieve. Her mom and family go and she hides. Her bro notes someone was there before them but figure it’s the Prince YM. Wol sees them from afar. The princess is with them but not doing well but her hubby is smiling and kind and attentive to her. He said he has much to learn and appreciates her bright smile though she has hardships. Now he even finds her sad face pretty.  But she is feeling unease thinking of YW. Especially revealed that Shaman Jang assured the King if black magic is used an offering must be made. So she is still alive but later we find out the sacrificial offering was the virgin Princess used by her own grandmother to put the spell /curse to kill Yeon Woo. Gosh her love /obsession pining for her brother. Dang the low level people will go to achieve their hearts desires. She has Yeom and she cannot fully be happy even when he is looking at her more due to her ‘sin.’

Since episode 14, the Queen and the Princess have felt uneasy in regards to YW and their feeling of unease after the Eclipse. The Queen asks to see Wol secretly and is shocked at her resemblance to Yeon Woo. Wol lies and says after appeasing Yeon Woo’s spirit she wishes you peace and happiness. The Queen doesn’t take the bait. In fact in ep 17, she has nightmares and though she doesn’t see YW plague her, she realizes that YW must be Alice in the palace. Her dad keeps wondering after torturing Wol, her face reminds him of someone and it greatly bothered him. After much thought and time, he realized Yeon Woo. He wants to eliminate her and shaman Jang NY and tells his sister the Empress Dowager. She in turn goes to the King using her ‘one wish’ card asking for Shaman Jang and Wol. She warns that  he shouldn’t be reinvestigating what happened 8 years ago. Of course the King is upset. 

Wol finds out that her father took his own life after a long illness of his heart after letting Yeon Woo go. Only after Yeom was married did he do it. Leaving behind YW’s poor mom alone. Yeom is devastated that it was suicide and not illness as well Wol is shocked and upset. Seol visits Yeom and shows up to him dressed as a woman. 

While upset and thinking, the King walks around and bumps into the Queen. She offers tea and a rare moment after he declined it, instead offers her to join him in his walk. This is a small kernel of hope in her heart that the King might slowly look her way. In prior episodes, she told him you grieve and have been for eight years your first love. She confesses to him, well you are mine. So the King slightly has sympathy to her but still is wary due to her father & also his own feelings.

Shaman Jang NY was away when the King wanted to talk to her.  After his suspicions of if black magic /sorcery can kill someone. After she returns , she confirms yes there are methods. But she confidently told the King she never killed anyone using it as she would have died if she did it. But she is standing in front of him alive. Also those who get the divine power must give up their families and other times special circumstances (as we know lost her memories from being buried alive). She goes to Wol beforehand and Wol told her to not reveal her memories are back to protect him. The Empress Dowager leery also asks why Shaman Jang is summoned. She makes sure to not say anything suspicious. Reaffirms her loyalty to her and is grateful for her to save her spiritual daughter. But Shaman Jang knows she must go into hiding and stay alive per the King’s orders.

Wol and the King (if course) bump into each other as she left the Queen. He tells her to never show up to him again. This is before the King figures out Wol is Yeon Woo. The prince quick on the uptake tested Wol when he said he wanted to take her somewhere, his mentor’s home. But as he plans to keep pretending about Wol’s identity as YW, the King rushes to Wol. He tells the Prince is committing treason for coveting the King’s woman. The King lets him try to kill him. Of course the prince is hesitant & then the king said I gave you a chance. They get interrupted by Assassins sent by the PM to kill Wol . Luckily Woon and the Prince save the day & Wol’s life.

Injured Prince takes Wol away and to the temple where his mom resides. She immediately recognizes YW. She tells her that her injured son wanted to show her the woman he cares about to her. She doesn’t pry about the past or how she came to by alive. Woon sees her there and when reporting to the King lies to him. Woon says he didn’t  see them there. The King knows he is lying and makes a big show of preparing a hot bath for him plus says with Woon’s sword at his neck it’s a joke to have him take the hot bath or be killed if he doesn’t.

Next morning , the Prince thought Wol left but she thought it right to say bye first. She is sorry she cannot give an answer he wants to hear from her. But thanks to him, she was able to smile and be happy. The prince shares seeing her daily gave him purpose and happiness. The king arrives the temple and takes her back with him to the Palace.

They have an emotional reunion. Cute scenes as the king is acting all childish with Wol liking her philosophy book more than paying heed to him. She is cute being jealous to herself. She nitpicks you say you loved only me but we’re giving your heart to Wol the talisman. The king is cute says I fell in love with you twice. His asking to open the door, her to come closer to him, he is so happy. The eunuch and his  smiles of happiness for the king lol. We get our share of cute interactions and the king kisses Wol/YW. Both are apologetic and sad to each other but you can tell they are happy to be reunited.

Yeon Woo’s mom still troubled by YW lookalike who was harassed and she wants to send her donations to the sick and see her. Yeom plans to join her. At the sick ward, the girl the Prince saved refuses to eat. She doesn’t want to burden her family. Wol consoles her,  saying to her, “your father trekked a long way to save you.” You are not a burden. She shares a little of herself and then the Prince panics thinking no no you have to be Wol and not YW or I cannot be with you. Of course in dramas he happened to overhear that interaction.

Next is how the king will navigate keeping his promise to his grandmother to hand over Wol and Shaman Jang (he doesn’t plan to honor it). How much longer will he pretend to not know the truth to others?

EVENT : Re-watch Party with the theme Revenge

Chingus, by popular demand we are bringing you a second season of re-watch parties. This time the theme is revenge! Yes, you heard it!

BPcT8.gif

The dramas chosen for this season are:

• Money Flower (2017)
  • Secret (Love) (2013)
  • The Innocent Man (2012)

For more information visit the event thread

re: @Lmangla

• Wiggle 1

Hi all! I finished the drama last week but frankly my brain is fried. LOL I should have typed something up while I could remember but I was planning an upcoming quick getaway and not in the mood to type on my tiny cell phone again. LOL. 

@Jillia @H0ney @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ I am sorry this (finale) last three episodes.

Overall, I am glad I finished and watched the drama.

1) Our COUP is axed and turns out that Yang Myung was already in Cahoots with the King who knew that he would be approached by the Queen's dad and cronies to go against.

His ill fated love for Yeon Woo. He was there before the Prince/King but couldn't capture her heart. No matter when she came back as Wol still the same story. He loved her earnestly and admired her for her heart, brains and beauty. But she just was not into him. Still he did his utmost to protect her and be there for her and get her out of depression. From getting the medicine book, going to say he was her alibi when interrogated and he fervently wanted to be her man. But Yeon Woo and the Prince/King were meant to be. When he let himself be killed during the coup knowing that his existence could threaten the king as there cannot be two suns.

2) The moment when Seol lost her life willingly for Yeom, she was happy. But she fulfilled his wish for her to watch over his sister. Wow dedication but appreciation to him for naming her and treating her as a "person."  I am glad she was there to protect him. Even her spirit is happy but still she was a lovely character. When she was upset with the Shaman she later learned it was not a simple situation.

3) Shaman NY losing her life but blocking the evil Queen using herself as sacrifice and not thinking she is innocent and not hurtful or evil. Glad she was blocked and told off by NY in her Shaman who was cooperating with her.  Sad to see her go but she fulfilled her promise to protect Yeonwoo not only once but twice thanks to her BFF request. Happy to see this actress again. Miss her. Though I had a smidgeon of sadness and empathy as she did care and fall "in love" with the prince/King. But it was one sided as Wol / Yeon Woo was in his heart. Even if Yeon Woo was not around, we don't know if she would have charmed the king anyways. The fact she was the daughter /niece of Empress Dowager's family did not help her case either.  She did only keep her "dignity" by committing suicide to not have that title taken from her. But she did live a miserable life even when she had her "opponent" out and see she never had the relationship she wanted with the KING. Even though they were married and he PUSHED off being with her for a long 8 years as the Virgin Queen.

4) Empress Dowager was all for her family and helping her brother and her niece be Queen. In the end, she got betrayed by her own brother thirsty for power and had her killed off. Yes power and greed have not sentimental feelings left for personal relationships.

5) Even the light hearted lovely Princess, she was the sacrifice /Virgin earnestly wanting Yeom. She was used and we learned distraught after hearing that Yeom's dad died not from illness but by suicide. She played a HUGE part to getting Yeon Woo "killed" . When she was found out by Yeom, she was devastated.  When Yeon Woo went to her to forgive her she did not believe her. I could get it. Wol suffered a tough fate/life taken away from her . But both were pawns of a complex political game where they did not have much power themselves. Glad she served her time and that Yeom was able to embrace her when she came to see them (tried to hide) from him and their cute son. She atoned for her crimes.

6) Yeom due to his handsome face launched being coveted by the Princess and that inadvertently got his dad and his sister killed for her desire to have him as a groom. The fact as her hubby would be politically strangled. Her dad denying her as he was needed to be with her brother and lead the country and serve the greater good. But with Yeon Woo dying before her actual wedding and Queen Dowager's side weakening her family, enabled the Princess to marry him. The princess was a good wife to him and his mom consoling her and has a bright happy demeanor. As Wol/ Yeon Woo said she appreciated she was there for her family. Yeom did grow to love her.The devastation to find out what she did from the Queen's brother to let him know was cruel. But inevitable as NO secret remains a secret forever it seems. But when Jang Shil met Yeom and told him what Seol always said to her. I wish him to be happy (every day). This opened his heart to be want to be happy and let go of his anger and follow his heart to embrace the Princess. Not sure of their future but at least towards healing.

7) Yeon Woo was in hiding. The cute relationship with the Eunuch. Later when she was able to get out of hiding and go visit her mother and brother. The reunion was lovely. Poor mom not wanting to sleep a wink for fear she would be gone. Yeom feeing guilty being the reason the Princess was a part of that black magic to kill Yeon Woo. When the King and Yeon Woo finally got married. Then their cute scene where he had to have his 'way" with Yeon Woo. Unlike his prior Queen he avoided 8 years, he was MORE than happy to participate in his conjugal privileges as her hubby. LOL. Plus everyone knows he cannot stand to be away from Yeon Woo. So when he prepared her bday party and tried playing the instrument. A for effort (though he was using the Eunuch and got caught when the string broke) was too cute.  She is a wise queen and good partner. Instead of extravagant parties, she donates and gives to the poor and in need.

8) The king, he went through much and not has his rightful Queen. Her brother as someone he can rely on. He made the  hard decision his father could not do punish family and refused to COVERUP their crimes due to them being his relatives. He lived by what he believed and glad that his investigator got a role in the government after solving Yeon Woo's death cover up for him. Haunted by his deep love for Yeon Woo she was his only love and couldn't let another enter his heart. (Very romantic for the story but I couldn't see him being a monk the rest of his life as he has to have kids.)  Seeing him with Yeon Woo happily married is nice all those years of sadness and despair and pining for her --he is happy again. Loved seeing that they have a son and he plays with Yeom and the Princess' son too as playmates

Thoughts;

Great OST and acting. I haven't seen Han Ga In in many works. But still love Kim So Hyun and most especially can see why the younger versions of the OTP broke out and became famous. They were EXCELLENT. Finally happy to see this classic and thanks to all on this rewatch group. 

Looking forward to your thoughts.

See you in another forum!

• Love 1

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달
  • 1 month later...

@H0ney Congrats on finally finishing! 

I too am grateful for the rewatch party (for me first time) of this classic drama and thanks again to @Lmangla and @partyon  Plus talking it over with friends such as yourselves and of course @Jillia was just fun and amazing.

Finally catching up on my other rewatchon Empress Ki that is ending next week. I have been on catch up mode too there due to RL making it busy for me.

Love you all and definitely happy when I see you all in other forums!  Thanks for this awesome rewatch!

• Love 2

• 1 year later...