[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

10 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I'm going to watch episode 3 and 4 today as well and post my thoughts, @YongZura⁷, but yes, @Nodame and @H0ney did a very fine job!

To tell you the truth I've watched more than I should... B) Thus I'm not sure what I'm going to write about he he... unless we have  certain topic or aspect to talk about.   That's the reason why i'm struggling.. :unsure:

• Like 2

oooh, here is a question for chingus here to discuss (inspired by berou's comment on fate )  -- how do you see the idea of fate? especially in classical literature stories where it seems hammered in that no matter what anyone does, things will happen as per fate. and in the current kdrama scene, do you think the concept of fate has changed? or do we still have those same ideas of destiny -- as in we met in kindergarten when we were five and so you still make my heart beat fast years later type fate? how do you feel about how this drama and others cover this idea of fate? do you believe in fate personally? .....

re: @YongZura⁷ @H0ney @Jillia @Nodame @ncly @Berou @MinLyn @strongtower @Nodame @Fangirl22 @kiefshi1056 @MayanEcho @vangsweetie637  (hope I got everyone who has commented on this re-watch so far..... if I have missed anyone, no worries, please pop n and share your thoughts on this theme...)

re: @partyon............

• Like 3
  • Love 1

HI everyone!

@H0ney Thanks for another great post. I like reliving the episode through your posts and quotes . 

@Jillia As a not tech savvy person, love your GIFS and post. 

Also everyone else who posts, just nice to not be alone. (I am so behind on Empress Ki YIKES so watching this 2 episodes a week is better for me LOL). 

@Lmangla Hmmm good question. I have talked about Fate and Destiny with friends and my parents over the years here and there.

I found in Wikipedia:

Although often used interchangeably, the words "fate" and "destiny" have distinct connotations. ... Fate is about the present, where every decision an individual has made has led them to their present scenario. However, Destiny is the future scenario determined by decisions an individual will make.

I admit I have not really thought to analyze "Fate" and "destiny" in Asian Dramas. I find too many coincidences to made out as to "fate" as we see ALL the time. They seem just TOO extreme so I am not really considering them as such. But I have always been fascinated by "fate" and "destiny". I have been a believer that in life that there is a a bit of "fate" and "destiny" actually. There is only so much you can control of your life through decisions. I do think they are tightly intertwined. I am not an expert or that articulate enough to express well what I think about it. Just my 2 pennies on it, I know not much of an explanation but I am curious how others think.

• Love 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:39 PM, Lmangla said:

oooh, here is a question for chingus here to discuss (inspired by berou's comment on fate )  -- how do you see the idea of fate? especially in classical literature stories where it seems hammered in that no matter what anyone does, things will happen as per fate. and in the current kdrama scene, do you think the concept of fate has changed? or do we still have those same ideas of destiny -- as in we met in kindergarten when we were five and so you still make my heart beat fast years later type fate? how do you feel about how this drama and others cover this idea of fate? do you believe in fate personally? .....

@Lmangla            

I love this thought provoking and interesting question that you raised here, i just wish to share my opinion...

Fate and/or destiny are mostly appeared in Kdrama, especially in those ancient days or love-related or time travelling drama. First of all, we have to ask ourselves why we often called "fate and/or destiny" when situation occurs, this event happens is because we often meet difficult problems that we can't explain/can't analyse clearly on the situation or not sure of the unknown future, this generally happened or began since the primitive age. The bottom line is we have FEAR of those uncertainties and unexplainable events, such as unknown situation in future, reoccurring circumstances or coincidence events and thus most of the time, we put ourselves in those situation or scenario as fate and/or destiny.

I read one biography story from one country leader that he didn't believe in fate and destiny, because he firmly believe in choices that he can make and alter the details and change strategies and directions that work within his control and power, even though he may not able to change the big picture or the whole world....his determination and perseverance  to change and develop his country are crystal clear to us.

I am a believer in fate may be because i am not as strong-will person as the country leader, but when i do more reading and thru my experience, what i do believe is we can rebel against destiny. If we constantly believe in fate and/or destiny, we will become pessimistic person whenever in choosing our love life or career or family life. When people say "they are destined together", I don't quite believe on that because both persons still have chance to change along the way if one does not upkeep the relationship, true love doesn't lie on one party only, it takes mutual effort to work hand in hand for a lasting relationship. 

If we think that we are pre-deterministic then the outcome cannot be changed, if we are free-will or compatibilists or e.g. like scientist, then the destiny outcome can be changed, and the answer can vary greatly depending on our beliefs, our character traits and position. 

People believe that fate and destiny also link up with religions which is a sensitive topic and i will not mention it as we have fans from all over the world and the different experience and perspectives may come from different walks of life.

My opinion is whatever reason we choose to believe or not to believe fate and/or destiny, it is all about a lesson to learn in our life, there must be a purpose for us to learn in our lifetime. :):wub:

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

oooh, some really interesting thoughts about fate and destiny @lebeaucouple, @Nodame @Jillia @H0ney -- gave me lots to think about... what I find interesting is our response to the idea of fate and destiny. for example, why is it when it is a love story, we hear lines like "it was fated/destined" -- what does that mean about love? that people have no choice?... especially in saeguks, it seems that the love story is often tragic and that falling in love is actually a kind of bad fate :sweatingbullets:....  but people who also strongly believe in fate/destiny are lot more pragmatic about the tragedies/unfortunate circumstances in their life. they accept and are able to move on.. and we see such ideas come into play in dramas as well -- so characters act like noble idiots because they believe their love wasn't meant to be...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lmangla said:

why is it when it is a love story, we hear lines like "it was fated/destined" -- what does that mean about love? that people have no choice?... especially in saeguks, it seems that the love story is often tragic and that falling in love is actually a kind of bad fate :sweatingbullets:....  but people who also strongly believe in fate/destiny are lot more pragmatic about the tragedies/unfortunate circumstances in their life. they accept and are able to move on.. and we see such ideas come into play in dramas as well 

To all my dear chingu...:wub: sorry that i have to move you away from the Kdrama re-watch content as the given topic was in wide scope...LOL:D

I think may be only less than 5% of a person's life is doomed, and everything else is decided by ourselves. When the success or failure of an event appears in front of us, we should be able to feel that it was caused by the decision of ourselves or others.

Let me share with you a true story that I heard in the news, there was this couple, husband physically abused the wife and the judge ordered the husband not to come close or beat up his wife again. But when the husband released from the prison, the wife returned to his husband and continued to let him abused physically as she claimed that she still loved him deeply and she believed in karma. This love story was a tragedy. What is your thought on this case? People once said this couple are destined together, so is the wife choose to self-sacrifice herself because of her belief or she is too weak to rebel against destiny? Will she happy for the rest of her life? The answer is this is her choice and her decision, not her fate to return to her husband.

When we meet crisis in our love life or marriage life, we usually fall into despair stage and claim that may be it's our fate to discover that our significant half had found someone else, and worst still, turned into a divorce in the end. Instead of self-pity, we need to do self-reflection, and accept the reality and move on to a new life, if things can't work out eventually.

If we can't fight against the fate/destiny, we must learn to Face It, Accept It, Deal With It, Let It Go. These 4 stages are mark in my life motto. When come to "let it go", it is a form of setting free of ourselves.

Remember I mentioned on my earlier message, it is all about our choices and decision to make on our path. People used that word of 'fate or destiny" often may be giving an excuse (because we don't have a good and valid reason to explain it, haha), so instead of clouding your mind to believe the outcome is predetermined or fated, make wise decision.

If we know that the love story can bring us to a tragic outcome, do you still want to follow that route or you wish to take over and control your own destiny?

Some people said destiny is just a timid peeping at the back of your life, and you are the starring actor on the stage that can control by yourself. What do you think?

I would like to end with a motivation quote by someone :

“Maybe there isn’t such a thing as fate. Maybe it’s just the opportunities we’re given, and what we do with them. I’m beginning to think that maybe great, epic romances don’t just happen. We have to make them ourselves.” - ― Marissa Meyer, Cress

Enjoy reading my long post :D

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1

In the next episode (5) we were shown how YW got the "shaman sickness".  I was surprised when they revealed that the Princess took part in the ritual too, just because she could not have what she wanted at that time, plus having a "good" grandmother.  The scene of how the black smoke moved was quite scary too

At the same time I was also angry at the bad "Ministers" who wanted YW to leave the palace and replaced her but it was their original plan.  How come there's no good Minister at all, the King is all alone (ooh I forgot YW's father is one of them)

I was asking these to myself:

1.  When they realised that YW's illness can't be explained, how come no one make any suggestion to ask the "shaman" too since they still have the power in the palace? 

2.  When YW's father gave her the "medicine" I thought he knew about its effect but he said "I will be with you soon".  Does it mean in his mind, he's going to kill himself to be with her?

p.s  After writing these questions.... it does seem more like a rant B)

• Like 1

Omg great recaps of ep 5-6 by the others and agreed by comment can be hard to write about this drama.

Sad the child actors parts are over- love them.

YW and her dad and seeing him decide to ease the inevitable death. Poor LW crown prince trying to keep her in her position unsuccessfully then to at least being able to see her before her ‘death’ of his beloved. The inability to have no power must has rotted. His grandmother pressuring him to keep him in line. Sigh seeing his expressive 

sadness of losing and being away from YW hurts.

BG ridding her heart of any compassion and humanity to be loved by LW crown prince (she may marry him) she will never have his heart. Just desserts I say.

Not writing much as others brought up points I liked too. Looking forward to the next episodes.

Hello All,

So watched ep 7-8. Gosh Kim Soo Hyun is just amazing. I admired him since his role in the child role for Gong Soo in the 2009 drama -Will It Snow at Christmas? (He just was amazing then. So happy to see him in all these dramas and his growth.) 

Thoughts on ep 7-8

-Seeing KSH as the King now who is not in good health and refuses to bed his queen. The fact she knows she has all she wanted --she cannot get him bed to get a child nor have his heart. He refuses to let her. (I cannot blame him) The only place where he can control where everywhere else he has NO control. It rots and to find no much happiness. Glad that he was able to have Woon and Eunuch Hyun Sun at least though it is a lonely existence and he misses his hyung Prince Yang Myung.

-YW is now nameless and with Shaman Jang Nok Young who has been hiding and avoiding going back to the Palace. Sul is protective and body guard of YW/Wol.  She is bright and still likes to read the classics and has no memories of her past (not yet). 

-Prince Yang Myung living a carefree life and wandering the country. Of course as it would have it no matter how much Shaman Nok Young tries to protect YW/Wol--the reality is they are fated to meet again. When  NY is called away that time the King is traveling nearby in a procession and Prince YM is there too. Of course she stands up seeing a butterfly (repeating when she was at the palace for her brother's celebration for his achievements) and cause a ruckus and attention to the king.  So though she is told to AVOID men and causing connections, YW/Wol cannot avoid it. LOL how can she?

When later when she saves Woon and the King who are in disguise and lost. I agree it is for them to save people. The fact she is quick on the uptake to recognize him (though she should not have seen the King's face).  But both Prince YM and the King feel an affinity to YW/Wol. Both still dream of YW and even the dream version of YW brings the new YW/Wol to him. So it is their destiny to meet again.

The  King is surviving and trying to work hard but exhausts his body and avoid bedding the queen. So in the process upsetting his grandmother (who wants to secure her family's position of power) once the Queen births a son. So the 8 yrs of their marriage she has been waiting. As mentioned she said it is her lack of virtue for not having a child. Of course the blunt Princess is right--no no it is lack of affection. She is still blunt and silly but her love of YW brother saves them and their family from complete ruin. Sad to know Prince YM saying his wings are clipped to his buddy as he knew his dad wanted him to advise the king. But at least they are able to survive and persevere even though from being wholly "wiped out."

Heo Yeom still has not done much with wife like the King but more due to treating her like a cute little sis not as a woman/wife and savior. So his mom giving him an earful, she has to be cherished and they should be on the marital bed too. Cute how he told her she was pretty even when she thought she was ugly with her puffy eyes and trying to depuff them with cold spoons. hehehe.  Plus Prince YM teasing her that he is in the way of them too. LOL . He is patient with her and does feel warmth to her, way better than the king with his queen. Glad to see the mom stopped her habit bring strays or strangers and thinking they were his sister.

I liked the king went out and wanted to see the LESS perfect people. He knew that real people ALL don't wear silk and look their best to the King coming by. He did not want to have the superficial gloss and appearance cover the reality and hardships they worked hard to hide from him. His big heart to help the boy getting food for his sister and talking about their dad building a place. The King is smart later to figure out after meeting the dad and talking to read between the lines that an army is being built up (already treason). He knows he is can still LIVE as he is still needed by his enemies for now. Gosh not a fun life indeed -lonely , filled with intrigue, who can you trust? Everyone WANTS a piece of you or something from you.

When the  Dowager Queen is pushing for the marital date and asking for Shaman NY to come back. She avoids it and refuses but then those scholars cheat and take her spiritual daughter Wol. Fully knowing she will come to rescue her. One of them realizes that she is a talisman and is later used and helps heal and rejuvenate the King. Even after one night he has gotten back his appetite. And after 2 nights his blood is running hot and well (ahem good for bed room activities). So seeing him doing push ups was funny to release the excess energy.  Wol (named by him as moon as she had name is now his talisman). A talisman that should not be seen or heard . Seeing the smile by the king was lovely and all the palace women are a twitter. Yes Kim Soo Hyun effect. LOL. 

So knowing he was curious about this talisman --I would be too. So the ending of ep 8 with him turning the tables and waking up and surprising Wol asking her who are you? 

Love Eunuch Hyung Sun and still he is put to face the wall when the king is frustrated with him or calling him annoying and overly chatty. But their banter and affection is cute still to see.

Looking forward to everyone else's thoughts and comments. 

On 8/30/2020 at 1:39 PM, Lmangla said:

Personally, I believe people are fated to meet at some point in life but it's up to our own choices if they will stay or let go.

Lee Hwon and Yeon Woo are fated to love each other but it's up to them if they will become each other's destiny :heartxoxo:

Looking forward to more thrilling events and how they will overcome every trials that will come to their love

:heart3:

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Jillia said:

So I finally watched episode 7 and 8 and I don't know how to feel. It's so difficult for me to say goodbye to the children actor and welcome the adult part of the drama. Til today the drama is mostly my favorite because of the children's part

Their part was the main reason why I got so hooked with this drama before. I can really feel the sadness in their eyes such a great actors at a young age

@Jillia awesome pics and post!

:ilike:

always love your posts and I felt I relived the episode! Yes no sympathy for BY for her plight. But yes YM & BY will not capture their object of affection as you said it IS a losing deal in this lifetime. Thanks so much!

KSH is stellar I agree! They are fated to meet again no matter what but thanks to Shaman NY they are able to meet again . Agreed the forces to separate the are the ones reuniting them unknowingly now.

Yes missing the younger versions but at least get glimpses of them here and there in their dreams or the OTP memories.