[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

4 minutes ago, Jillia said:

if this doesn't smell like tragedy incoming then I don't know. It's definitely going to be interesting since he seems to like Yeon Woo a lot. But please, Yang Myung, stop sitting on somebody's wall to watch the girl you like! :lol:

Yes, and he was given a warning before :D It's not easy to just tell the heart to stop liking a person. I guess he knows her for a long time since he's one of her brother's best friends.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, H0ney said:

My heart melting because he even went to bought a fortune stone for Yeon Woo. It’s a stone! This prince is too sweet. He has a big heart and soft. Awwww! 

Opps.. wait a minute... I might miss that.  Isn't that the one from the scammers?

• Like 2

I think so yes. But he didn't know... or did he?

Ha ha ha..  I thought he was just teasing them?

Watching this scene made me sad too in a way... how easy for some of us to believe and be scammed by people like them even now.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, Lmangla said:

@ncly ~ sounds like you enjoyed ep 1 :D ; a question for the chingus watching -- since this drama was aired in 2012, there have been lots of changes in the style of filming, whether it is music placement or HD camera. for some, this makes it difficult to watch older dramas. how did you find it?

Oh oh good question! The last time I watched a drama with similar style of setting/timeline is Jang Ok-jung, Living by Love (2013), but I feel like a more suitable comparison to the style of filming in METS would be Jewel in the Palace (Dae Jang Geum) (2003). Not sure why but I can see the way the cinematography is handled made the drama itself have an old feeling to it, which is great, because the drama has a historical element to it, so I find this perfectly fine to me. 

It wasn't difficult to watch an older drama, but like I shared, when I watched ep. 1 of METS, it took me awhile to get used to just everything showcased in it. Even the way they speak with each other was done so formally, there was none of the "Yah" or "oppa" or "jagiya," all the cheesy ways of calling and speaking in today's k-world, you know :)) Although I don't stand much Korean, yet alone we're talking about traditional and formally speaking style right here, I do feel there's a bit of a struggle for me to get used to that unfamiliar verbal style. 

But other than that, I enjoyed ep. 2 and already 1/3 through ep. 3. Weekend should come quicker so I can have more time actually sitting down and watch through a whole episode without disruption!

• Like 2

Hello everyone! I finally watched ep 1 in the wee hours of this morning before sleeping. I wanted to watch ep 2 but it was already 3am. :bawling: (Too many dramas to catch up on before watching it)

So excited to finally watch this classic drama and with others. So thrilled to bits.

@Jillia  I agree I don't need an overly ambitious person. Have some drive but also loves you. (No drive completely is bad.) Prob why I am still single. LOL no just more concentrated on living life that is all.

@Lmangla  Thanks for the question about thoughts watching this drama compared to more modern saeguk.

@ncly I do agree on many points made. I also watched Dae Jang Geum, Jumong, Painter in the Wind. Since both dramas were done by MBC, I am not surprised to recognize places (I did go to Yongin MBC filiming site last in 2010.) Made me sad to see some actors in it who have since passed away. You know you watch a lot of dramas when that is the case. It was good to see their faces/bodies of work  live on in dramas.) The language of the time is more kept in tact that the more modern language. I liked that a lot. The feel would be different if they did otherwise.

So ep 1

-loved the quotes mentioned by others said

-our FL younger self by a cute Kim Yoo Jung (OMG) she is adorbs. I loved how she talked to the younger ML crown prince.  Now I can see with their chemi (why they got popular after this drama). They are just too adorable. Their fateful first meeting! The smart young FL calling out the crown prince on his lie. (She knew the person he pretended was his hyung did not have a dongseng).  The banter was too cute. Then the moment she found out WHO he was --she was stunned.

-Crown prince loving his dear half brother hyung ---I like him too. Glad due to him being out of the palace, he has a better more carefree life. As long as the political intrigue and others try to eliminate him. I love how he seemed carefree but he exposed the fraud by the scammers making the child (not blind) tell lies. Their pretending to get hints about people to be able to continue their lying is despicable. But scammers and liars exist everywhere still. There are always going to be those who want to make a quick buck. A step above out right mugging /robbing ---they are not causing you physical harm outright but you are giving your money willingly on a supposed belief that is a lie.

The half brother hyung to like the young FL. I cannot blame him,she is cute and she is smart and feisty. 

Her brother is Im Siwan (oooh looking handsome) and his best friend also handsome Lee Won Keun. (Dang so much eye candy already.) LOL

So sad about the shaman Ari and the Prince who was killed in the beginning. OMG. So sad . (That actress as Ari is just soooooo good. Just saw her be menacing in It's Ok to Not Be Ok. )  Killed as an innocent bystander by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ugggh. But glad she wanted to protect the Censor's pregnant wife. She was right, as a yangban she is a good judge of character and glad she helped her. Sorry she was caught though immediately once she left her.  The promise to protect her baby daughter in her womb was sweet. Then to ask her friend to carry out the promise --wow.

So far enjoying the drama. How the young FL is like I never will see the Crown Prince as there is no reason. As we know they will meet and marry. It is sad the young ML cannot see the hyung he loves . Gosh his hyung is so awesome and good hearted. 

Looking forward to watching ep 2, just saw @Berou post about FL oppa. Awww the bright light shining around him to make fans of all who get near his brightness. HEHEHE oooh cool.

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 4

Yay, finally got the time to watch the first two episodes! :lol:

First episode...Welp! I have to shoo away the little eyes and ears for some scenes! :wacko: 

I always appreciate that there are forewords at the very start of the drama. It sets the right expectations, if any, of the viewer. I say this too as I've seen a drama which was quite well done IMO, but ratings were pulled down because some viewers had hoped that it was a continuation from another drama.

The BGMs set the right mood for the scenes, and I've no complaints with the costumes. I love love love their clothes! :D

From what I can glean on it, this will be a story of rivalries within the royal family, and the people close to them. A family wants to have the upper hand for power, and another was just serving the best they could in the name of patriotism. There would also be a separate vying of affections and favours.

I like that the second episode is almost solely for the young players. The bird's eye view on their personalities has set the tone on who to watch out for.

I really like stories that touches on fates and destinies, and whether or not prophesies has to be heeded or no, by the right persons it was meant to. 

I'm on the third episode! :lol:

• Like 3

Oh you guys, the love between the Crown Prince and Yeon-Woo is so pure and adorable. Their innocence but wiseness makes them too perfect to be real.

And the Crown Prince/Future King's eunuch, I loveeeeee that guy. 

I just finished watching ep. 4 and was appalled by how women are perceived in the old times in Korea. I can totally understand because I'm from an Asian country too, but wow, some of the conversations just really put down the women (beyond what I can imagine). I'll make a list soon and would love to ask if they were all true because if it is then to me it seems like women really had much tougher lives compared to men back then! 

• Like 2

Hello all, 3am Sunday morning and just watched ep 2. Wow loved episode two.

hehe I loved seeing YH angelic halo & charms create a swarm of entranced followers lol. 

@Jillia Your post mentions all the points and thoughts I enjoyed in episode two. Thank you.

@Berou I would love to hear your thoughts too! Write away please! 

ep 2

- Agreed with @Jillia too black and white about our factions no gray area.

- the princess answering the riddle correctly was awesome!! Then later outing herself to YH her crush overhearing her brother mention she only cries lol.

- YW maid being beaten for dirtying the Minister of Personnel’s daughter’s outfit and lie the money was stolen. Then lie to YW she didn’t want the maid beaten to death. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

- Crown Prince LW  (CPLW) wanting time act up and disrespect YH thinking his antics would work. But to be outsmarted by the sister . I love how he is curious and had her in investigated. He recalled some details but the poor eunuch. He would have known sooner who YH was if he didn’t stop him. Their comedic moments were adorbs (harken to other dramas I see the same close relationship ).

Lonely CPLW but his dad knew he needs friends and allies indeed. Plus what timing to have the ministers and the King hear the riddle answer and results and reasoning behind it from YH.

YH dad is rightfully uneasy to have his two children in the palace def dangerous. Yes Ari’s friend is back sees the two opposing factions daughters , does she know which one is the one who should be protected (?)

Sad for one sided love of Prince Yang Myung on Yeon Woo and cute how she tried to tell him in her way CPLW yearned for him. Even her oppa & friend  shot down him down for her which makes sense. Loved the greenhouse though a lot.

YW outing tons of sincere effort to write the letter of apology letter to CPLW by dying it and adding flowers, thoughtful gorgeous chinese characters then text in her letter . Her sadness wishing he wasn’t the CPLW was true. Both miss each other and were affected. Cute how he was like she is foolish yet smart thinking I can easily forget her? Lol. Pretty, feisty, moral, smart and captivating is our Yeon Woo.

Ok almost 4am and I have a walking date at 8am. 

Edited by Nodame
Correct HY to YH
  • Like 2

Hi chingus,

As I dwell deeper into the episodes and learn of the Joseon traditions, I have a few questions I’d like to ask for your insights:

1. Why is it that a Prince Consort (husband of the Princess) not allowed to participate in the palace’s state affairs and politics? 

How is it that perhaps a Queen’s father can still participate but Prince Consort can’t? 

Please help draw the line on who and who cannot participate in the palace’s state and political affairs.

2. Is it really true that once a Crown Princess is chosen, the rest of the candidates in the final selection round who aren’t chosen can’t get married anymore? 

3. In history, has there ever been any cases of King staying faithful to just one Queen and never having any Royal Concubines? Or is it normal that Kings usually have Concubines in there lives?

My knowledge about Korea’s history is limited so I would love your clarification on this so I can understand the drama deeper when watching it.

• Like 2

You're not too late! Welcome to the rewatch party! :D We only just started this week. So just watch the first 2 episodes and this week we will watch episode 3 and 4.

So happy you're joining us! Please also participate in the poll if you like!

I already voted :lol: I'm getting my eyes ready now for major streaming since it's evening in my place already haha 2 episodes to catch up! Aja! :wow1:

• Like 2

I watched this drama because of KYJ then i got hooked because of the story YJG loving her so much. They really have this cute/ good chemistry. I hope to see them together in a 30 to 50 episode Love Story drama. and YJG love triangle is PGB :heart2: that would be very hard to choose between the 2 :lol: unless they will  twin KYJ

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

You're definitely correct about the Grandmother aka Dowager Queen. She established her power and that why she will want for Lee Hwon to marry someone who she has chosen, so she can have even more control. She is a terrbile person but she also is smart enough to have so much power for so long. :D

I'm assuming that the Dowager Queen may not be the present King's mother? She wants to strengthen her family's power and influence in the empire, and I don't really see that happening if she or her kin has nothing to do or unrelated to the successor of the throne. Thus she wants to find out from the shaman if her young relative is in the running to be the Crown Prince's consort.

That's the assumption, if marrying cousins or close relatives in Korean royal families were not the norm in that period. :)

The shaman knew that if she gave the answer the Dowager Queen doesn't want, it will be hell for the other girl and her family. I think the Dowager Queen asking her if any of the girls could be queen gave her the inkling on who Ari asked her to protect.

• Like 2

Thank you, @Jillia, for helping me with my questions. I really appreciate it!

19 hours ago, Jillia said:

The Princess doesn't have any political power. It's actually not necessarily a good prospective to marry into the royal family when someone is amibitious.

It's a different matter when it comes to the Queen's father. When the daughters marries the King her father automatically is bestowed with the title "buwongun" or "guk-gu" and he is usually a minister in one of the political factions the faces when making decisions. So he definitely holds political power

and he can manifest that power by having a daughter marry the king.

Sad that a Princess's status isn't valued as high as the King's. 

Isn't it ironic though? That a Prince Consort isn't allowed to participate in politics and state's affairs to avoid war over power or the throne it self, but a Queen's father still can, but doesn't he pose a threat too if he's also ambitious?

Hence you saying that he can manifest that power by having a daughter marry the king, and hence why Minister Yoon was so eager about wanting his daughter to become the Crown Princess. 

Yes, because if they're worthy for the future King, how can they be worthy for lower ranked yangban. I don't know though if that was always the case.

I just feel so bad for the rest of the girls who don't make it though, having to stay single for the rest of their lives even though the future King will never return his love.

I have no knowledge about if there was ever a king who didn't have a concubine. But it's important to know that for the king it was important to have as many children, preferably sons, to ensure the king has a heir.

I actually haven't read or seen any dramas that mention a King who's forever faithful to just one Queen, and I totally understand that it's important to have many children, especially sons, to ensure future Kings. 

Spoiler

We know for sure that the future King only loves Yeon Woo, though I'm wondering if this was to be a real-life case, would the future King stay forever faithful to Yeon Woo (because besides having children, men have their men needs and their attraction to women?)? It's a hypothetical question, and I don't want to think too much but my curiosity and wild imagination just beat me all the time :))

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm assuming that the Dowager Queen may not be the present King's mother?

I'm assuming that she is though? Right in the 1st episode she ordered to assassinate the King's half brother so she can ensure the present King has no competition who can take over the throne. The Queen Dowager cares a lot about the royal blood and only cares about her son aka the present King, so I'm 100% sure that she's the mother. 

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I think the Dowager Queen asking her if any of the girls could be queen gave her the inkling on who Ari asked her to protect.

I believe she wants to strengthen and continue the Yoon clan in the palace, so she prefers that Minister Yoon's daughter becomes the Crown Princess. She thinks by doing this it'd be easier to control the future King. 

She also never liked Scholar Heo anyway and thus never cared about Yeon Woo or wanted her to be the Crown Princess/Future Queen

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ncly said:

I'm assuming that she is though?

My assumption was that the King was the son of another wife/concubine of the previous monarch. The dowager queen was the most favoured though, hence she was the queen.

The present King may or may not be her son, but perhaps there's nothing she can do with that as it must have been him who was favoured by her late husband. 

11 hours ago, ncly said:

Right in the 1st episode she ordered to assassinate the King's half brother so she can ensure the present King has no competition who can take over the throne. The Queen Dowager cares a lot about the royal blood and only cares about her son aka the present King, so I'm 100% sure that she's the mother. 

She can do something however with the half-brother though, especially if there are frictions, and if she thought her own family's power is threatened. If that brother ends up being the King, she might have known they can not really oppose him anymore, and worse, her clan will be punished.

That is why the Dowager Queen would prefer to keep in power the present King, and then continue in strengthening her family's hold by having her relative married to the crown prince. Actually, similar to what she is. :) She's just ensuring that when she dies, her family's well-being do not die with her.

Hehehe...I'm overthinking and my imagination is running wild!

• Like 3

@Jillia Thanks for sharing info on the royal family and why some people want certain positions /strategically for their power political moves.  ( I can infer a little from all the C dramas I watched growing up) But loved how you spelled it out.

Yeah not surprised the person marrying the princess, not going to have power. Though she is royal blood, as females and even though she is royalty and a princess---not helpful for an ambitious person is INTERESTING. I always knew that those having their daughters be the queen or consort/concubine bearing the son of the Emperor was ALWAYS desired.

It makes sense that the Dowager Queen is the mom of Sangjo. (Makes total sense as she is very INVESTED for his time on the throne and also establish her family's power. Not uncommon at all.) 

@MayanEcho Don't think you are going overboard on your imagination at all. 

@H0ney Love the time and care of your posts from the pics and quotes from the drama. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated. Yeah the maturity of 13 year old  Yeon Woo in her letter to the Crown Prince. Dang.  I guess overall people's lives were shorter than now. But she is a WORTHY sister of Yeo Hom.

(I concur to appreciate her ability in the traditional literature, classics and eloquence--their intelligence is swoon worthy indeed. Both brother and sister are attractive, smart, talented and good at what they do plus are good people. )

Yes little Bo Gyung is scary indeed. Sets the stage that she is def of the Dowager Queen's family side (Yoon) and we know she is the 'bad' side against our OTP. Such a pretty young woman who is very petty and has a cruel streak.  Over an accident and hiding her maid's purse and wanting to kill Yeon Woo's maid. Plus then thinking YW was weird to treat her lowly maid as a "person". Perish the thought! (She won the genetic lottery but def she is NOT a great person.) 

Guess I can try to watch #3-4 as my I have some time tonight.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

@strongtower @Nodame @YongZura⁷ @Berou  @H0ney @MayanEcho @ncly @vangsweetie637 @UnniSarah @Lmangla

@im0202 @TiNaDo  @MinLyn  @sharoon0136 @Jillia

Thank you to everyone who voted in the poll! :kiss_wink:

If you have any ideas for future poll questions, do not hesitate to tag me @partyon and/or @Lmangla in one of your posts.

:heart1:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Hi Everyone!

I hope the week is going well! Love the rewatch concept a lot!

My usual stuff wasn’t shown so I got to see Ep 3-4 tonight.

-Prince YM requesting for Yeon Woo’s hand and later Crown Prince accidentally meets Bokyung causes his dad the king to be mad. He too wants Yeon Woo. To counter the predestined candidate chosen by his grandmother , CP  Lee Won proposes they interfere with the bride process

- scholar Yeon Heom even asks the CP to let go of his sis when he saw her name not included. But dad is too by the book puts YW name in with her mom and brother being reluctant. CP Lee Won didn’t know that women in final round not chosen cannot marry not be in the palace unless Prince YM mom was a finalist. Loving big brother doesn’t want his lovely sister if not chosen to be unable to marry and stuck. Crown Prince realizes this is great chance for the maternal side to collect power and strength .

-YW and BK enter the palace as the princess companions . CP Lee Won wants secret meeting but YW is approached and she lies to the CP eunuch. Ergo him going to BK. A note was with TW stuff. BK reads the note and tells her father. Princess is biased to YW due to her crush on her oppa. Later when she requests to marry him, the king is reluctant. (What was explained he is necessary to advise the king. Once married to the princess no gov’t or political positions are allowed as previously stated in the forum.) BK is inconsolable.

YW’s intelligence wins over the king. So smart , wise and poised. Wow ! Love her!

BK lies to YW saying the Crown Prince deliberately wanted to meet her. YW does believe her. In the end she looked to talk to the CP Lee Woo she learned she lied. BK is taught by her dad Minister Moon to not show her emotions in the palace. ( not bad advice at all)

Prince YM tries to persuade YW to run away with him as he would gladly give up his title. YW rejects the offer as expected.

Ari’s friend figures out the child she must protect and is given the task by Dowager Queen to rid of rye just selected Crown princess. We know she comes up with a plan to protect YW. She lied to the Dowager Queen about BK and YW who will me Queen. YW should be by the King is killed and  BK nothing to shown in her fortune to even dare to be queen.

Poor Eunuch dealing with Crown Prince , he got beaten by the King & has a lot in his plate relating to the Scholar.

Loving the younger versions of YW and Crown Prince LW and I know I think I won’t see them after ep 6. Def the intrigue and plot is thickening. Well that’s it for now for me. 

• Like 1