• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farstrep

Maja said: LOL! OK this is based on the manga ;)) Don't be disappointed but after the last battle (with Enishi the younger brother of Tomoe... yes he hates Kenshin) after 5 years he marries Kaoru and they had a son Kenji Himura ... Yes a  bit predictable... a lot of people wanted someone like Tomoe or even someone like Megumi but he ended up with Kaoru.. ;)) :))

Maja said: @myphim @farstrep
Koaru is indeed better portrayed in the manga but not so much, I think Kenshin just finds a home with her so he fell for her ;;) 

Guest farstrep

myphim said:
Are you saying he just settle for whoever available?  :-O :-O
Why don't he try harder and look elsewhere?
Maybe he will meet someone fated for him from the heavens. :P

Continuation of definition of terms (credit to wikia.com)
Kenjutsu (剣術, Art of the Sword) is the umbrella term for all five hundred schools of Japanese swordsmanship. As opposed to Kendo, which means "Way of the Sword", kenjutsu trains swordsmen (or kenshi) in the use of actual sword techniques for combat rather than as a meditative discipline.Though Japanese swordsmanship has roots in the 4th century, kenjutsu in its recognized form began in the Muromachi period, the end of which is known as the Sengoku Jidai or "Warring States period". The schools of kenjutsu which survived the Sengoku Jidai proliferated for decades until finally reaching over five hundred styles during the Edo period and resulting in advancements to training techniques and equipment, such as the shinai (bamboo practice sword), which allowed for safer, more effective training sessions as opposed to the old method of using bokken (wooden katana) or live blades.
However, with the start of the Meiji Restoration and the dissolution of the samurai class in 1868, kenjutsu fell into decline as a painful reminder of the centuries of military rule as well as the bloody Bakumatsu.
Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū (飛天御剣流, Flying Heaven Govern Sword-Style) is an ancient kenjutsu style from the Sengoku Jidai developed to allow a single samurai to defeat numerous foes single-handedly. Practitioners of this style use a combination of near-superhuman speed and agility (known as Shinsoku, or godspeed), battōjutsu and an acquired, observation-based pseudo-clairvoyance in order to avoid the attacks of their opponents by the least possible margin and with the least possible effort in order to place themselves in the perfect position to strike in the very instant the opponent's strike misses and stresses two-step attacks in order to ensure that any and all who oppose it are thoroughly slain.
Due to its tremendous power and speed, Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū has recently been nicknamed "The Black Ship of the Land" in that it would secure absolute victory for whichever side wielded it in a conflict.
Battōjutsu is a field of kenjutsu which deals specifically with the rapid drawing and sheathing of a sword. In most cases, a katana being drawn from its sheath moves with a much greater speed and force than when it is being wielded normally. Additionally, greater drawing speed gives a swordsman more of an advantage in combat than an opponent whose speed is inferior. This is due in part to the fact that a katana's sharp blade curves upward against the inside of the sheath, allowing the swordsman to use more strength in drawing it without having to worry about applying extra control to his movements - the sword's path is guided by the sheath while the blade meets no resistance, moving two to three times faster than normal. Himura Kenshin is known as the Battōsai ("Unsheather") due to his complete mastery with battōjutsu and can even manage to use his godspeed battōjutsu with a sakabatō with its dull edge curving up against the inside of the sheath as well as use the same godspeed for Nōtōjutsu (the art of sheathing).

fallentenshi said:

Great movie. Better than  i expected! I thought he was the Kat-tun guy, until I read the name and realised he was in Bloody Monday instead.. they looks so much alike.

I liek the music as well... I wonder if they will ever make a second movie... hmm...

Guest farstrep

I actually intended to include this in my commentary but it might make it too wordy, so I'm posting this here first, for anyone who's interested.

The Onin War
(first mentioned by Sanosuke when he introduced his Zanbato)

The Onin War was the catalyst that sparked the century long period of Japanese history known as the Sengoku Jidai, the "Age of the Country at War". What was originally a dispute between a father and his son-in-law became an eleven year war that trashed the once great city of Kyoto and sparked an era of bloodshed that is famous to this day.

To read more: http://www.samurai-archives.com/tow.html

Gatling gun (the huge machine gun used by Kanryu near the end of the movie):

In the 1800s, gun manufacturers designed a number of mechanisms to address the problems associated with limited firing ability. A lot of these early machine guns combined several barrels and firing hammers into a single unit. Among the most popular designs was the Gatling gun, named after its inventor Richard Jordan Gatling.

This weapon -- the first machine gun to gain widespread popularity -- consists of six to 10 gun barrels positioned in a cylinder. Each barrel has its own breech and firing pin system. To operate the gun, you turn a crank, which revolves the barrels inside the cylinder. Each barrel passes under an ammunition hopper, or carousel magazine, as it reaches the top of the cylinder. A new cartridge falls into the breech and the barrel is loaded.

Each firing pin has a small cam head that catches hold of a slanted groove in the gun's body. As each barrel revolves around the cylinder, the groove pulls the pin backward, pushing in on a tight spring. Just after a new cartridge is loaded into the breech, the firing-pin cam slides out of the groove and the spring propels it forward. The pin hits the cartridge, firing the bullet down the barrel. When each barrel revolves around to the bottom of the cylinder, the spent cartridge shell falls out of an ejection port.

The Gatling gun played an important role in several 19th century battles, but it wasn't until the early 20th century that the machine gun really established itself as a weapon to be reckoned with.

The Gatling gun is often considered a machine gun because it shoots a large number of bullets in a short amount of time. But unlike modern machine guns, it isn't fully automatic: You have to keep cranking if you want to keep shooting. The first fully automatic machine gun is actually credited to an American named Hiram Maxim. Maxim's remarkable gun could shoot more than 500 rounds per minute, giving it the firepower of about 100 rifles.

For more information: http://science.howstuffworks.com/machine-gun4.htm

I have been a loyal to Rurouni Kenshin the manga since its very first publish way back in 1996, and ever since, I've reread it too many times, enough to remember every move of his Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū, and his lines. It's an epic to me, in every way, so much that I refuse to watch the anime until today because I don't like the way anime tends to focus more on the action parts. 
Kenshin is both an easy and hard read. Because it survives time and touches you in so many different levels.  Regardless of your perceptions and life experiences, chances are you still able to find something in it that you appreciate.  The Kenshin that presented to us in the first story arc is a Kenshin that survived not only the terrors of war, but also the gradual self-judgement.  It is the type of character that is both forced to grow for and against of his wills. The smile that presented to us at this point is still a forced smile from a guilty soul that yet to be sure of the exact path he has chosen. And I didn't think a 23-year old actor could bring that depth forward. 

What I'm trying to say is that I came in watching this movie with every bit of expectation from a hardcore otaku :) and... the movie WOWed me! Clever writing, clever casting, clever action, clever almost everything.  I sat back and watched it the second time just to re-convince myself that there is noway that this movie could be that perfect lol. 
Takeru remained a bit immature for the role, but besides that, he's done a heck of a job in here: the efforts to perform all the action scenes, body movements that 95% resemble the original Himura Kenshin, eyes action that really fulfilling, and of course, his (petite) look! The 5% short from perfection for me was his tone, which could have been more engaged in the speeches and the backdrop of Kenshin's life. 
The rest of the cast did a phenomenal task to me, especially Emi Takei as Kaoru and Yosuke Eguchi as Saito Hajime. Takei was even better than the Kaoru I remember, more determined esp. with her eyes and less girly i.e. whining. Eguchi was excellent in delivering the vibe of Hajime, my second favorite character in the manga! Threatening, hella sure of his purpose in life, and the never-bowed-to-power attitude. His sword stance was badass too!!

I need to stop now since I could go on and on and on with this topic lol. So happy to see many of us here and look forward to the movie night with all of you!! :x :x

Archived