[Chinese Drama 2011] Bu Bu Jing Xin 步步惊心 (Startling by Each Step)

iledrama

Hi,

This is my first time watching epic Chinese drama. I have watched some Taiwanese modern dramas but after reading how much all of you loved this drama, I tried it over the weekend and now I’m hooked. I spent the whole weekend watching on-line (since I need English subs) and now up to Ep. 26.

If I may ask few questions because I’m little confused.

1. In here, few of you mention Ruoxi marrying the 14th prince. So far in the drama (at least up to Ep. 26), it didn’t happen. Are you guys talking about the book? Is the book version different than drama?

2. I was just wondering if there’s English translation of this book? If yes, if I go to Chinese book store, will I find it? Is the title the same?

3. Since most of you seem to know the ending, will the drama end with modern time of Ruoxi being back at the future?

And if anyone can recommend any other epic romance drama, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Yes, they will get married near the ending. But it isn't a real marriage though.. ah~ you really have to watch it yourself. I try to put it as spoiler-free as possible. It's the same as in the book.

2. There is no official translation of the original novel, so you won't find anything in the bookstore.

3. Yes.

I just finished watching this drama and I am a mess right now. I have so much emotions and I can't believe I cried so much (lol, I am a bit ashamed to admit that now).

What really bothered me was Rouxi dieing thinking the 4th prince never loved her or forgave her.

She carrried that wrong information into eternity. Sigh, so sad.

I am confused did 4th prince finally learn that Rouxi did not sleep with 8th prince?

Do you think 14th prince also loved her, as more than a friend?

I loved the cast, they were so believable in every stage of the drama, the way they acted at the begining of the drama when they were young and innocent, and then in the later stages with all the turbelence. You could see differences in how they acted their roles.

Rouxi's looks also changed throughout the drama and was quite believable to see her age 20 years in the drama. From bubbly cute innocent Rouxi to sad dying Rouxi.

Did we ever find out who pushed the original Maerta Rouxi down the steps, as it was hinted in the first 2 episodes?

Someone please explain the differences between the drama's ending and the book's ending?

How was this drama received in China, was it more popular than the usual drama?

I just finished watching this drama and I am a mess right now. I have so much emotions and I can't believe I cried so much (lol, I am a bit ashamed to admit that now).

What really bothered me was Rouxi dieing thinking the 4th prince never loved her or forgave her.

She carrried that wrong information into eternity. Sigh, so sad.

I am confused did 4th prince finally learn that Rouxi did not sleep with 8th prince?

Do you think 14th prince also loved her, as more than a friend?

I loved the cast, they were so believable in every stage of the drama, the way they acted at the begining of the drama when they were young and innocent, and then in the later stages with all the turbelence. You could see differences in how they acted their roles.

Rouxi's looks also changed throughout the drama and was quite believable to see her age 20 years in the drama. From bubbly cute innocent Rouxi to sad dying Rouxi.

Did we ever find out who pushed the original Maerta Rouxi down the steps, as it was hinted in the first 2 episodes?

Someone please explain the differences between the drama's ending and the book's ending?

How was this drama received in China, was it more popular than the usual drama?

I believe that the book ending was that she never return to modern time and i believe she died, while in the drama she did return to modern times and woke up meeting 4th again.

As for who pushed her down the steps it hinted that it was Ming Yu that may have pushed her down

As for the 4th prince I don't think he thought of her sleeping with 8th more that she in fact hide their relationship and that they got up to a certain point where they did more than holding hands

As for 14th, I truly believed he loved her more than just a friend, he risked going against 4th to get RuoXi out of the palace

As for the drama, itself was highly praised and welcome alot of people loved it

i finally finished the drama and I'm currently having an emotional meltdown. The last few episodes tore my heart apart.

This was definitely an amazing drama, one of the best. The actors depicted their roles perfectly and the story line is obviously splendid.

the only thing I didn't like was that Ruo Xi died believing that the 4th prince still hated her... and this belief will never be changed.

Well, if one is looking for a tragedy... this is a great one.

I believe that the book ending was that she never return to modern time and i believe she died, while in the drama she did return to modern times and woke up meeting 4th again.

As for who pushed her down the steps it hinted that it was Ming Yu that may have pushed her down

As for the 4th prince I don't think he thought of her sleeping with 8th more that she in fact hide their relationship and that they got up to a certain point where they did more than holding hands

As for 14th, I truly believed he loved her more than just a friend, he risked going against 4th to get RuoXi out of the palace

As for the drama, itself was highly praised and welcome alot of people loved it

thank you, for answering my question :).

Thank you so much for answering.

I was able to watch to the end and cried a bucket. What a lovely sad story. The only thing I wasn't satisfied was the ending where at the modern times, 4th prince walked away without giving us hint they will be together in modern times. I guess it's up to our imagination.

I know there's a group that is working on subbing for downloadable episodes. I would love to keep it in DVD to re-watch.

Is anyone selling DVD with English sub with reasonable price?

Thank you again.

P.S. If anyone know any other lovely drama like this one, please recommend it. Thank you.

1. Yes, they will get married near the ending. But it isn't a real marriage though.. ah~ you really have to watch it yourself. I try to put it as spoiler-free as possible. It's the same as in the book.

2. There is no official translation of the original novel, so you won't find anything in the bookstore.

3. Yes.

Yes, please is there any other recommendations?

For the poster above:

Jade Palace: Lock Heart has a similar story (might be a copy of BBXJ)

Schemes of a Beauty is also good.

New My Fair Princess is tolerable

I am waiting for subs for Qing Shi Huan Fei and Royal Harem to start

For the poster above:

Jade Palace: Lock Heart copied "based" from BBXJ. Apparently the director for Jade Palace, wanted to do BBJX but the author already sold the rights to the drama to another director. So instead he decided to do his own version of BBXJ with similar plot basing it "loosely" on BBJX and then he decided to produce it in a rush and aired it quickly before BBXJ so it seems like BBXJ copied Jade Palace instead. BBJX brought the rights from the author of the novel about 3-4 years ago and it took another year to plan everything with costumes and scenes and casting. Also If you noticed Jade Palace is not only similar to BBJX but also many would say the ancient version of Hana Yori Dango/Boys Over Flower. Also if you watch Jade there are many loopholes that really don't make sense.

I'm not picking on Jade or anything but it gets annoying how would say BBJX copied Jade Palace when its the other way around

As for other dramas recommendations I'm waiting for a modern drama called "seal with a kiss" the storyline itself looks really good.

Guest saranghae<3

For the poster above:

Jade Palace is a fluff drama. It has no substance but it's reallllly addicting.

I would never recommend people to watch the new hzgg (my fair princess). I watched it until episode 60 something and gave up. I can't even begin to express my disappointment with that drama.

I would never recommend people to watch the new hzgg (my fair princess). I watched it until episode 60 something and gave up. I can't even begin to express my disappointment with that drama.

lol, at New My Fair Princess. Yes, it really isn't that good, but I recommended it because it is another palace type drama.

The New HZGG is ridiculous, the fake princess as got to be the most annoying character in any Asian drama, I have ever watched and that is saying something. Her actions were so hare brained, so many times I wished she did get caught and had her head chooped off.

The addition of the white guy? Sgh, no comment. Then the real princess, I just didn't buy her epic romance with the protector guy. When did they fall so in love. All I saw was them reciting poetry out in the farm lands.

I am currently on episode 40, stopped like 3 weeks ago, to wait for more subbed episodes, since I watch it in batches. Perhaps, by episode 60, I might get fed up too. I think it was foolish of them to start out with a 98 episode commitment, because it forced them to drag out the storyline too much.

Stop saying that Jade Palace copies BBJX. this was even a hot topic in China. so there are some similarity and difference between them that I pointed out.

In Jade Palace, Qing Chuan fell through a hole and ended up in Kangxi's reign (still in her own body). while Zhang Xiao went through in time to Kangxi's reign

There are many stories about where many people are going through time, and Kangxi's reign to Yongzhen's reign is very popular for many directors to make drams of.

The similarities that both have is probably the girl who goes back in time and involves with 8th and 4th prince. In Jade Palace, Qing Chuan went back through time and still get to end up with 8th prince. She was not friends with 13th, 14th or 10th prince.

In Jade Palace, the story line is happier, Qing Chuan could do whatever she wanted with her personality and views from the modern time. While Zhang Xiao has adapted to her life as Maertai Rouxi in that time (even though she does disagree with many things). BBJX has a sad ending, but it's more realistic than Jade Palace. It's circulate in her life, but also the princes and the other around her. Not just the couple.

Also not to mention that in Jade Palace, none of the princes (except 1st and crown prince) had wives or children. In BBJX they all did.

4th prince was cautious but not cold. He was reserve, and he was willing to kill family members to get to the throne. Even though it meant that he'd lose the one he loves. But in BBJX, he secretly aims for the throne, he's cold yet cautious but he has his own weak times too.

8th prince was not interested in the throne until Qing Chuan requested that from him. He was a machonist? arrogant and easily hated. He makes it hard for her the most possible ways, and his mother is from the future. While in BBJX he's caring, loving and cautious of those around him.

I also think that if Kangxi didn't have favorites, then the princes doesn't have to fight with other over the throne.

IMO, I love BBJX more, it's more realistic and captive in the plot. It has become one of my favorite dramas, I would rewatch it anytime. I love the chemistry between Rouxi, 4th, 14th, 10th, 13th and even 8th princes.

Well the fact is.. when Yuzheng got to know that Tangren was planning to adapt the highly rated novel Bu Bu Jing Xin three years ago (which he wanted to adapt as well), he rushed to make his own version of the Qingchuan genre. Not only that, he rushed the production of Gong as well in order to be broadcasted earlier than Bu Bu Jing Xin. And there he goes: Gong successfully becomes the first drama of the Qingchuan genre on television.

I have told myself not to compare Gong with Bu Bu Jing Xin. But when the whole fuss is brought up again, I just can't help it..

I would also agree that the two dramas share a lot of differences. Only the backbone is probably similar (Qingchuan is a very popular theme in the Chinese internet novel world). But that having said, Gong is definitely not my cup of tea. I'm expecting nothing close to history, since it was suppose to be an idol drama in the first place, but Gong was getting so ridiculous to the point that it was hard for me to ignore and oversee the historical facts. How on earth would all the princes be unmarried at that age-- atleast give them a Che Fu'jin. Not to mention.. 8th Prince is so Domyouji.

I'm still wondering why Yuzheng would have to use the battle between the 9 princes, and Kangxi/Yongzheng's reign to be his backdrop. He didn't even care about history .. at all. I reckon it would have been much better if he just made something up.. a fictional background would be easier to accept and in his case: easier to play with since it is suppose to be an idol comedy. I do think Palace HAD some good points.. the people are pretty (I actually really like Yangmi) and FengMi had some undeniable chemistry. But for me.. BBJX ftw, simply in terms of everything.

Guest severus

Precisely, the main reason being the FengMi craze.

Stop saying that Jade Palace copies BBJX. this was even a hot topic in China. so there are some similarity and difference between them that I pointed out.

In Jade Palace, Qing Chuan fell through a hole and ended up in Kangxi's reign (still in her own body). while Zhang Xiao went through in time to Kangxi's reign

There are many stories about where many people are going through time, and Kangxi's reign to Yongzhen's reign is very popular for many directors to make drams of.

The similarities that both have is probably the girl who goes back in time and involves with 8th and 4th prince. In Jade Palace, Qing Chuan went back through time and still get to end up with 8th prince. She was not friends with 13th, 14th or 10th prince.

In Jade Palace, the story line is happier, Qing Chuan could do whatever she wanted with her personality and views from the modern time. While Zhang Xiao has adapted to her life as Maertai Rouxi in that time (even though she does disagree with many things). BBJX has a sad ending, but it's more realistic than Jade Palace. It's circulate in her life, but also the princes and the other around her. Not just the couple.

Also not to mention that in Jade Palace, none of the princes (except 1st and crown prince) had wives or children. In BBJX they all did.

Put nicely, these are 'differences' ... but they really are loopholes resulting from Yuzheng's rush to produce and broadcast 宫 with the same backdrop and theme as 步步惊心, knowing the rights to produce the novel as it is were already sold. Loopholes like these are inevitable when differences are forced into a story so intricately designed as BBJX.

Can someone explain the differences between a De'Fujin and a Ce'Fujin?

Obviously, one had more rank than the other, but was there a certain type of woman that could be selected for each stage.

Also, the Emperor's concubines, were they part of the, once they have served for a few years, they get to live the palace group, or were they stuck for life?

In BBXJ, why did the 4th prince kill the Eunuch from the Laundry region?

Guest severus

Obviously, one had more rank than the other, but was there a certain type of woman that could be selected for each stage.

Also, the Emperor's concubines, were they part of the, once they have served for a few years, they get to live the palace group, or were they stuck for life?

Di-fujins and ce-fujins... it's kind of like how the king has 1 queen, but many concubines. There's only 1 di-fujin, and she has higher status and is the 'legitimate' wife. Usually the first one to marry into the family is the di-fujin, who's family background and wealth has to be of worthy status.

Lol, the emperor's concubines are there for life... quite sad really, because chinese emperor's were said to have a 后宫 of 3000 .. so some don't even get to see him ... but once they're concubines, they're there for life, the ones that have lost favor with the emperor are usually sent to the 冷宫 (cold palace) to age and die.

If anyone is interested, I'm currently translating a 10 page long article giving a break down on the actions of the 4th prince. I do love that article lots so I decided to share it with the non-Chinese speaking community.

First part just up: http://sparkskey.livejournal.com/58950.html The first part itself is already 2000+ words so it's going to be a long read but trust me, the end result is satisfying

Ce’fujin: A title. Meaning second wife or ‘side’ wife in Manchurian.

Di’fujin: A title. Meaning first wife or main wife in Manchurian.

From the looks of it, Di’fujin (the first wife) is the one with a wealthy, high status background since you noticed that 4th first wife is the daughter of an official, 8th wife is also an official's daughter while Ce’fujin can be any women with different background.

As for the emperors wives, each one has different ranking:

1 Empress (Chinese: 皇后; pinyin: Huánghòu)

1 Imperial Honoured Consort (Chinese: 皇貴妃; pinyin: Huáng Guìfēi)

2 Honoured Consorts (Chinese: 貴妃; pinyin: Guìfēi)

4 Consorts (Chinese: 妃; pinyin: Fēi)

6 Imperial Concubines (Chinese: 嬪; pinyin: Pín)

Honoured Ladies (Chinese: 貴人; pinyin: Guìrén) (Unlimited in number)

Female Attendant first rank (Chinese: 常在; pinyin: Chángzài) (Unlimited in number)

Female Attendant second rank (Chinese: 答應; pinyin: Dāying ) (Unlimited in number)

once they are given a title or the emperor visit them, then they are basically stuck in the palace for life. Even if the king doesn't visit them later on, they are basically force to be there. By any chance you watch TVB "War and Beauty?" it sort of explain it there a bit on what happens to the concubines later on after they lost favor with the king. Even if they lost favor, basically the palace is like their prison. they can't leave nor do anything. If they want to survive, they can either live in peace in their own estate or suck up to one of the king's favorite concubine and leech. If the king doesn't touch one of the concubines for a long time, they somehow lost their position and somehow moved to a isolated estate which babii3xquiisit3 explained.

From what I gather from different dramas, those that never saw the king, nor did they even sleep with the king, they go to this place forgot whats it called and wait, if a certain time period the king doesn't come lets say probably 7-10 years, she can leave the palace (but I don't know if its actually true or not haha)

Somehow I feel like I'm the only one that somehow didn't like 4th prince at all. I tried warming up but still got nothing haha. I only favor 8th and 14th prince. I teared up so much when 8th lost everything. I feel really bad for his di’fujin, even though she's a mean woman, but she did it to protect 8th. She didn't mean to cause Ruo Xi to lose her baby. She didn't even know she was pregnant that time either, all she did was vent her anger, yes she shouldn't have done that, but she was protecting 8th and she believe maybe venting out at Ruo Xi will get her to get 4th to stop picking on 8th. but her death was sad.

Ce’fujin: A title. Meaning second wife or ‘side’ wife in Manchurian.

Di’fujin: A title. Meaning first wife or main wife in Manchurian.

[sorry to cut your post]

Thank you for taking time to explain that, it was very helpful. You mentioned War and Beauty? Is that a drama also?

I wish there were more dramas like BBXJ, I miss it so much already.

Archived