Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Charmingbestfriend96

How long have you been chasing the dream of being a kpop idol

Guest starzXshinee

Not to sound like too much of a downer but it is definitely in your parents hands while you're a minor.

I doubt it's that they don't think you're good enough, they just don't like the entertainment industry as opposed to "a real job".

That said, good luck, but if you waste some company's time because your parents won't and were never going to "play ball" they may never want to bother with you later.

Ah, I forgot the age thing! Because for me, I am turning 18 in less than a year so if I can get accepted by the time I am 18 then it really is not my parent's decision. Though they may hate me . . .

I totally agree with the 'they just don't like the entertainment industry as opposed to "a real job".' to some extent. With some parents, it is that reason. For others, it is not. Like my mum does not like the fact that I will be famous. She thinks it will all go to my head and I will do bad things and be involved in scandals and blah blah blah. >.>

Guest appledapple

Ah, I forgot the age thing! Because for me, I am turning 18 in less than a year so if I can get accepted by the time I am 18 then it really is not my parent's decision. Though they may hate me . . .

I totally agree with the 'they just don't like the entertainment industry as opposed to "a real job".' to some extent. With some parents, it is that reason. For others, it is not. Like my mum does not like the fact that I will be famous. She thinks it will all go to my head and I will do bad things and be involved in scandals and blah blah blah. >.>

More like she's afraid someone will put you in a scandal...

Seriously, I doubt most parents objections have anything to do with talent-they've heard some of these "singers" sing and seen the before and after surgery photos.

They've also seen suicides, heard stories of forced relationships with men in the industry, and rumors of crazy dieting and drug and alcohol abuse.

And if you're not Korean, they may have even read about human trafficking. 

Just try to give your parents a break, ok guys? You don't have to agree with them, but try to understand them, ok?

Good luck everyone.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

^ You are one wise person APpleDapple :)

Guest KRNnxt2U

Lol, long but interesting rant. I know that most of us has encountered the same problem. I know it's not my place to say this but, it's actually up to your parents choice if you can live this dream or not, I know you might then ask the question, "So you've given up?" And my answer to that is no. Your parents' will actually make the choice if you get to join any companies trainee system or not, because if they take you in without your parents permission the company can get sued for "stealing" you. 

So if you want this really badly, then you'll have to talk it out with your parents, and when I say talk I don't mean you go on a mental breakdown and argue with your parents, that's not how you do it. You have to get your parents' on your side before you audition. 

OR! You can audition online and if you've received a call-back then you can show it to your parents to prove that you're capable.

see, for me atleast, the "get a call back and prove yourself" thing didn't work. I got a call back and even passed a few more rounds but my parents told me that the problem is not whether i could, but what i would face if i did. (again quoting my annoyingly long post haha)

i honestly think, the best method is to talk with ur parents, show them how much u can't give up ur dream, and reach some mutual understanding. they may not completely accept ur dream, but u want to be on good terms with ur parents haha

see, for me atleast, the "get a call back and prove yourself" thing didn't work. I got a call back and even passed a few more rounds but my parents told me that the problem is not whether i could, but what i would face if i did. (again quoting my annoyingly long post haha)

i honestly think, the best method is to talk with ur parents, show them how much u can't give up ur dream, and reach some mutual understanding. they may not completely accept ur dream, but u want to be on good terms with ur parents haha

Good luck and I'm talking to them everyday about it as well :P

Guest A.Love

I 19 years old and are now 4 years that I a been chasing the dream of being a kpop idol.

I love to dance and sing and when I felt the kpop music was perfect for me. But first I'm from Argentina (which is very far in Latin America), second I'm blonde with green eyes (my family is descendant of Italians) and third in where I live you can't learn Korean. T_T

I will not give up, I send my audition for Korean companies and maybe I could be thefirst non-Asian looking to join a Korean company.

Guest something-like

I 19 years old and are now 4 years that I a been chasing the dream of being a kpop idol.

I love to dance and sing and when I felt the kpop music was perfect for me. But first I'm from Argentina (which is very far in Latin America), second I'm blonde with green eyes (my family is descendant of Italians) and third in where I live you can't learn Korean. T_T

I will not give up, I send my audition for Korean companies and maybe I could be thefirst non-Asian looking to join a Korean company.

let me as a veteran tell you...do not waste too much time chasing this...i forgot where i saw this but .

"Dont chase your dream, let your dream chase you" meaning if its not anywhere in your full grasp, or if its just not for you, even if you think it is, then don't bother to keep wasting time because the longer you spend time just to fail, the more regret and wasted time you will have. And given your age, looks, and just about everything, you don't barely have a chance. Harsh reality but, it is what it is.

Guest livelaughlovex3

for me i have always wanted to be a singer ever since i heard someone sing.(when i was like 3 or 4) not exactly k-pop idol but pretty much the same lol 

i wanted to be a k-pop idol ever since i knew you can actually audition for it :P thanks to someone from school who ask me if i was going :] which was like this year and the audition i was talking about was JYP :D

Guest 9hellokitty

Hmm.. I'm 11 now. I plan to audition when I'm 12.

I've never been wasting my life.

My parents are really supportive.

I've been learning singing and dancing.

Trying to become skinnier ETC.

But I hope you will become better and understand how fortunate you already are.

Guest Lao_Kid99

I have always dreamt of being a kpop idol since i was 12 and now im 15 so i wasted 3 years of constantly dreaming and taking singing + dancing lessons + learning korean (im partially fluent) and wasting alot of time and money just to have my parents say no to my chance of auditioning :( they let me audition before but now my grandparents, aunts and uncles yelled at my parents for being bad parents and letting me chase this foolish dream since im chinese and not korean....i was gonna audition for Sm weekly audition and now unless some miracle happens im stuck doing online auditions....and i dont live in california i live in stupid michigan and thers no auditions happening there

my grades have been dropping too because of this dream...my 9th grade gpa is 3.2 :(

my 9th grade gpa was 3.2..................anyway, you should never let your hobby/dream interfere with school. all my years through high school, i balanced with my music career, but of course it wasn't easy. not that I was untalented, but just because of the reality of the music business. The group i joined when i was 14, we were about to be signed to semi-major record deal. What happened? We got screwed over by our own manager. Went through high school being in 3 different groups and all fell. One of the most success I ever had was when I was about to audition for a spot in a boy band to debut in China but I dropped out to focus on school.

I'm not saying don't give up, (you're 15, so much you can learn before you're ready), I'm just saying you need a good plan to fall back on, and you can't do that without education. im 19 now, still balancing out training/music and college.

My other small advice is, don't go straight into the majors. start off independent. learn about this music industry before you jump in. without knowledge of the industry, you're gonna be bullied around a lot. focus on school, and until you're old enough to make your own choices, your parents really are in control.

Guest asdfghjkl1

requires a lot of mentality.... if this is what you really want... like you are SURE please go for it! i am sure this is what i want to do... i just need.... someone to pick me LOL btw im vikkihahahaha i got a new account

Guest Aikurah

I have always dreamt of being a kpop idol since i was 12 and now im 15 so i wasted 3 years of constantly dreaming and taking singing + dancing lessons + learning korean (im partially fluent) and wasting alot of time and money just to have my parents say no to my chance of auditioning :( they let me audition before but now my grandparents, aunts and uncles yelled at my parents for being bad parents and letting me chase this foolish dream since im chinese and not korean....i was gonna audition for Sm weekly audition and now unless some miracle happens im stuck doing online auditions....and i dont live in california i live in stupid michigan and thers no auditions happening there

my grades have been dropping too because of this dream...my 9th grade gpa is 3.2 :(

I'm Chinese as well! (I know that doesn't really contribute to your concerns).

I started dreaming since I was 11. Apparently, I was a SONE and I looked up to SNSD as role models for a while. When I turned 12, it was literally my addiction to practice over and over for my audition. Didn't have the money for dancing or singing lessons, so I trained myself through watching Hip-Hop competitions and listening to people sing (and observe how their mouths move, how their throat functions, nerdy observations, etc.). Then I would imitate that over and over until I thought it seemed close to right.

I have a piano teacher who's Korean and she sometimes teaches me Korean here and there because we get easily bored. Otherwise I can only pluck a few Korean words from conversations.

For whatever reason, I do kind of pity you...you have all this experience and you don't audition. Ugh, if only I could help you. I'm 13 now and already auditioned in SM Weekly (I see that you also aimed at that!). 

I'm ALSO IN NINTH GRADE. My GPA...I don't want to tell you.

You should audition. No, honestly. My father constantly tried pulling me away from auditioning until I dug up enough money for the air expenses to L.A. and even the hotel expenses. He doesn't believe in fame and fortune; he tells me that in the end I will regret it and that chasing my dream is just wasting my own time when I can be studying to get into a good college. Its not like I literally WANT to oppose him; I completely understand that being an idol/celebrity/superstar is not close to a usual "dream". It requires perseverance, hard work, passion, and tough skin. All K-Pop stars work their hides off to get to where they are now. No wonder why so many trainees drop out (not to mention that the Korean Ent. Industry is really tough).

After giving my mother more than $350 to help me get to my audition, she agreed (and my father kinda agreed). 

Don't give up just yet. Fifteen is still young, you still have time! I've known people up to ages 20 and they still audition and they're still hoping!

And to be completely honest with you, its much harder than it looks.

Guest asdfghjkl1

i am devastated by lack of replies i get from email auditions >.> i sent to like 10 (literally) and none replied... how long does it take for em to reply? D:

I'm in the same shoes as you...well, kind of. >.<

My dream started when I was 4 I wanted to be a singer, then I slowly forgot about my dream until I turned 11. But then I got a terrible medical thingy that ruined my vocals and I was so depressed and embarrassed that I secretly sang and wished that I could still be a singer. I got into kpop when I was about 12 I think so that didn't influence me to become a singer (nowaday everyone just wants to be a kpop star just to meet their idol =__=)

but now I'm 16 turning 17 and going to start auditioning next fall/winter ^.^

My parents aren't aware of my plans but they know I have a wide range of interests and although I'm good at academics, I'd rather do something with myself more physically wise like singing and dancing and entertaining :)heck~My dad wants me to become an actress XD! not sure about that though >.< am taking drama classes and eh..unsure.gif

ANYWAYS!!! If you really believe that is your dream and you cannot live with anything else, go for it! don't let anyone stop you!!

Or atleast don't let anyone stop you after you turn 18 >.<!!!!

fighting!!!

Guest Min-Jung1999

Yeah, I was about to type that in but I was like, "I'm too lazy :D" So I just typed in what they basically would do about your age, such as being more picky if you're older.

But that's true. I agree with you :D

Park Bom and Dara were that age when they started being trainees in YG and they are 28 years old (29in Korea) and look how big there group 2ne1 is now

I see... yes, considering the fact that it would probably take you 2 - 5 years to train and if you're debuting around 25 - 26 you'll be considered too old and you wont make fans and if you wont make fans then you'll make no money if you make no money then you're screwed .__. 

Well...What if you audition at the age of 13 - 14 and you get accepted and you're mildly talented .__.

Guest minus

Wow! I suddenly want to post something like this (or even write an autobiography lolz) since there has been a rock on my heart for a few years now.

Started dreaming about auditioning at the age of 13, that's when I saw the Shinhwa audition (long forgot its name ><!) and I thought that I was better than G.Na (I meant the ME at that time was pretty much able to sing like G.Na AT that time lolz). Yeah, but sadly that time my home country Vietnam never had a chance to have any kpop-related stuffs promoted there and I didn't know how to even use a computer then O.O BUT deep in my heart I still yearned about it. I began writing songs and danced to the TV anytime I could in some vain hope that I can be recognized one day. But I didn't have any platform to showcase myself (except for school's talent time) let alone auditioning.

My family is demanding for me to get to top schools, get good grades (like most Asian families do) and they feel humiliated having a singer in their house (something of a conservative culture) and I even got a scholarship to Singapore. But that was when my life started to change. Came across a SM video contest, I started making videos and picked up the skills of sound and video editing, all self-taught but improved day by day. I auditioned in Thailand in 2008, wasted heaps of money to fly there, failed. Then various online auditions, failed. Tried my luck for JYP audition in Singapore 2010, failed again. But that was the happiest time in my life because I could finally find a goal to look forward to and know that there are something out there that I can join without my parent's interference.

Left Singapore after my scholarship term ended. Time for university- time for some BIG money to be spent and I fall into my parents' hands once again trapped. I was offered scholarship to the U.S and I want to go there to study Music, live with my dream and be near my opportunities. But the decision was not mine to make. My parents forced me to New Zealand and study Accounting-"earn enough money for tuition fees then you can go ahead with whatever you want to do"-enough said.

I felt my doors were shut. But I told myself it's just my life doing a longer route and I did not let myself to be disheartened. I am doing well for my Accounting, but I have never enjoyed it, aimless. It's like an old radio tape keeping replaying :study-good grades-nice degree-stable job-get married-have children-save up for retirement-die. But I force my brain out of that mindset and tell myself to work my butts off so I can earn enough money to do another degree in music, although I am not young anymore. I am 20 years OLD.

On a lighter note, after I left Singapore, I just randomly applied for TVN starhunt and one day that told me that I made in to top 100 Singapore. Didn't fly there to do 2nd round though, cuz I know that I would be too tired to pull off anything decent in short notice. But after 7 years I achieved something finally. AND when I thought that I wouldn't be able to touch the door of kpop anymore in NZ, they just announced JYP audition here this December! Well, that was sweetly OUT of my expectation. I will be auditioning, not only for this but for any chance I could have again.

Long post, phew :)

I am 18 , started to dreaming in this year , but those agencies never held a audition in my country

So I just keep applying for online audition but now almost the end of this year ,  I still can't make it .... 

when I start dreaming , my insomnia come , I never have a good night in this year ph34r.gif...........

THe most worries is I am not good looking ......

Guest minminXP

I started dreaming when I was 12 turning 13 years old. I went for the 2010 JYP/Alpha audition in Singapore, but I didn't get in. (to be honest, I think I froze up in front of the judges and was quite stiff when I sang)

I'm 14, turning 15 this year, and I'm going for my second audition in less than 2 weeks. It's another JYP/Alpha audition again. Since Alpha is going to hold an audition every year in Singapore, (it's a Singapore-based Korean entertainment company) I'm definitely going to have more chances to audition then before. For now, I'm just going to focus on performing well in front of the judges and not freezing up. I'm not going to think about what happens next until it's over.

Guest Haebalagi

It has been around 6 months I'm having my passion to be a korean singer.

I am 18 turning into 19 on this august later..I'm not korean and only know few korean's basic greetings.I'm Indonesian but I'm chinese ethnicity.. :)

I have the same problem with all comment above there,parents opposing my dream to be a singer.

But,I knew it for sure I won't give up on this,because I've been falling in love with music since I know korean music.

I never dreamed to be a singer when i was young,the passion just naturally comes out when I saw their korean singer performance.Not because of 100% of the fame, but since then I was practising myself singing,day by day, I realized that singing and music is my whole life.I can't live without music.And singing makes me happy,as simple as that.I realized that passion getting stronger,when father asked me to stop singing and I automatically cried, it feels like I lose my freedom,my life. Since that day,I commited myself that I must fight to get my dream.

I didn't mean to compliment myself,but before I know korean music,my friends praising my voice.They said I have a born natural talent singing.But since I didn't find any interesting agency that could help me in my country,so singing was only my rutinity on my spare time.But since I know korean have a great talent agencies,I'm started to believing my future with them,by auditioning via off-mail.Have got their response that they have received my materials but haven't heard a call back since 2 weeks ago.

I ever got a fight with father about this dream, and since that fight, he saw my efforts to singing (he got it seriously when he accompany me to go to post office to send the materials),and he let me to chase my dream ( 50% only I think) .It's like, I have a silence deal with him, like I won't quitting my university but I won't stop chasing my dream either. At the end,just keep the faith and waiting ,which of the options of life that God have choose for me. A singer or an architecture.

Sorry for the long boring thread,but I just wanna say, "Since we only living life once,let's do the best out of our life.Whatever it is.Chase your dreams, and have the faith and keep strong.Me, myself, I'd rather look back at my life and say,"I can't believe I did that!" instead of saying,"I wish I did that..."..

So everybody,live the life you've dreamed and good luck all."